Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 758.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 758
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I had just got home and was about to organise the evening meal when the phone rang. “Hello, can I speak with Cathy Watts or Stella Cameron please?”

“This is Cathy Watts, what do you want?”

“This the sister on the coronary care ward.” My blood ran cold.

“Yes?”

“We have admitted Professor Agnew, he gave you as his daughter and next of kin.”

“How is he?”

“He’s okay, although he has what we call unstable angina.”

“What’s that?”

“Angina brought on during rest.”

“So does he still have it?”

“He’s improving, although he has to have some more tests and may require an operation.” This wasn’t making me feel any better.

“Can I see him?”

“Of course you can, in fact I know he is hoping you’d want to come in, he’d like you to bring his pyjamas and some toiletries, you know the sort of stuff he’ll need.”

“Um – yes, of course, I’ll see to it right away.” I put the phone down and shuddered. ‘If he dies, it’s entirely my fault.’ I stood in the hallway and burst into tears.

“What’s the matter?” asked Stella rushing to see me.

“Tom is in hospital and it’s all my fault.”

“He was rushing about this morning.”

“Doing what?”

“Well, we had to get your car back for starters. I drove him out there and he brought yours back. Then he was going to go to the uni when his chest pain got worse.”

“You mean he had it already?”

“Yes.”

“I didn’t know, why didn’t someone tell me?”

“You were too busy being the world’s victim.”

“I wish you’d told me.”

“Why? What difference would it have made?”

“I’d have been upset.”

“Yeah, and in your state would probably have made it to Beachy bloody Head.”

“No I wouldn’t.”

“We can argue that later, what does he need?”

“I’ll go and pack it.”

“Well hurry up while I get Puddin’ ready.”

“Ready for what?”

“To come with us.”

“They won’t let you take babies into hospital.”

“Why not, it’s where most of them are born?”

“Infection risk.”

“That’s new, they didn’t enforce it when I was nursing.”

“They do now, I nearly got refused permission to take Meems in with me and she was three.”

“That is ridiculous.”

“It might well be, anyway, I have to pack his jim-jams amongst other things.” Which was precisely what I did. Then as Stella wasn’t able to leave Puddin’ at the local cattery, I drove on to the hospital and practically ran up to the ward.

After speaking with the nurse – I had to beg permission to get on the ward as it wasn’t officially visiting time. Tom was eating when I walked up to his bed.

“Daddy, I’m so sorry,” I said blubbing all over him.

“Och that’s okay, jest lemme finish ma piece,” he said tucking into a slice of bread and jam.

I got a stacking plastic chair and took it to his bedside. After sitting on it for a few minutes he looked at me and winked. “Cathy, did ye bring in my jammies?”

“Yes, Daddy, I think I’ve brought everything you’ll need.”

“Och, ye’re a guid lassie.”

“If I was, you wouldn’t be in here, would you?”

“Ach, ye canna blame yersel’ for whit happens tae others.”

“I can when it’s my daddy.”

He held out his arms to give me a hug and I almost dived into them, so hungry was I for his forgiveness. “Ye did naethin’ wrang.”

“I did, I almost worried you to death.”

“I wis a wee bitty worried, that’s true.”

“Well, I’m more than a wee bitty worried for you, you silly old goat.”

He laughed at my joke, then he turned very pale and pointed to a papier mache receiver on top of his locker. I passed it to him and he was sick. He looked very pale and was breathing hard and sweating. He lay back and seemed to be drifting off to sleep – then he stopped breathing, least I think he did – I pressed the nurse call and when I screeched at her that he’d stopped breathing things happened very quickly, including throwing me out of the ward.

Doctors appeared running from every direction within a couple of minutes. I hoped the crash team had done their job. I was too frightened to cry and paralysed by a fear that if I did anything other than sit there and worry, he’d die. I didn’t even call Stella, she couldn’t do anything and I suspect she was worried enough anyway.

My phone beeped and it was a message from Simon:

Hi Babes, how is Tom? Girls R well, talk L8ter. Si.

I didn’t know what to say or do. I didn’t know if he was alive or dead – I mean, how do you tell someone in text that he’s very ill, without worrying them half to death? I wanted my girls home, I wanted Simon’s shoulder to cry on, but most of all, I wanted Tom to recover. If he died, something inside me would die as well, and I’d never forgive myself.

I did nothing with the reply to Simon, I simply sat and waited for news about my adoptive father.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
151 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Och, indeed!

You're gonna put us on that ward with Tom iffen ya don't let up with these cliffhangers o' yours.

Btw; ... Looking forward to tomorrow's edition, Angharad....

PB

WTH?!!!

Why isn't Cathy using her Blue Healing energy from outside the room on him? It should go where it's needed. Let's see it do it's stuff!

Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf
TGLibrary.com

Agreed,

She loves him enough, not to mention needs him. Hopefully it is not his time.

If she did that, Sephrena,

we wouldn't have so much Cathy mayhem to deal with. But I have to admit; Angharad hangs a good cliff.

Anyway, does the fact that you're posting mean that you are feeling better? I do hope so; the place wouldn't be the same without you.

Susie

Now, That's a Cliff Hanger

If it can get Sephrena on line long enough to leave a comment, as bad as she feels.

You have no idea!

how much work i do in the background formatting and fixing stories on the front page and processing from server to server. I'm even editing and proofing Arecee's Homecoming Princess tonight as well as back fixing some of Tanya's older posted stories tightening up the html code to make it look more professional.

I don't have a lot of time to read, im too busy working on the site. If I wasn't here for 1 week, watch what happens to the front page and its look, as well as the story formatting and presentation. You will notice a huge difference. I work hard to maintain a feel and consistency to everything up there:P

The whole idea is to make this a fun and safe place for our people.

But yeah, I did comment? It is kind of rare nowadays huh? hehe

I do follow all of Angharad's stories even if I haven't commented. She is extremely talented.

Hmm, now that I think of it, I could sure use a dose of Cathy's energy on me!!!!

ps: I'll let you all know asap soon as I have my surgery date too. I'll try and have some peeps cover for me for the day or 2 I cant be on my lappy in the hospital.

Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf
TGLibrary.com

Evidently Cathy Is

Emotionally unstable, preventing her from calling upon the Blue Light. But, remember that she said that she was through using it, too. She might be blocking it. I say thhat once she accepts her feminity, the Blue Light will give her a woman's body, complete with reproductive system. And she will heal Tom, and keep her family in good health.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I had to go and ask...

I asked what was going to happen next, and bang, there it is. *sighs*

Cathy does NOT need yet another bequest, at this point in time... Nope... She needs to get her feet firmly planted under her. How many bequests is it now? Her mom, her dad, her Sister's fiancee', her daughter's dad... She's really racking them up. Of them all, I get the impression that adding Tom would be one too many - at least right now.

We'll see. I'm glad I'm not in Cathy's shoes!

Thanks,
Annette

I'm sitting here

with my fingers crossed,My lucky charm clutched tightly in my hand, Hoping that Tom can pull through.....Well alright maybe i am slightly exaggerating!!! But i really do hope that Tom will pull through, Life for the Camerons would be infinitely poorer without his wisdom and sweet nature, And that's not to mention how Cathy would feel if she loses her Daddy.

Kirri

Way too many cliff hangers

Way too many cliff hangers for me, I might just join Tom in the hospital. I do hope he will recover and be back on his feet very soon. Perhaps if he is having these attacks right now, this is the best place for him as they can at least try and treat him. I wonder if what he needs is a heart bypass operation? Janice Lynn

All I can say is ....

... bloody empiricists (!). It is kinda sad when you can only believe only what only your 5 senses tell you.

At this point Cathy is stubborn enough not to invoke The Blue Light (tm) merely because she does not want to believe there is any possibility of a divine existence of some sort. I think this is probably a Shit or Get Off the Pot (tm) moment for her as to her self-understanding of her relationship to the Universe at Large.

I have callouses 10 mils thick from all these cliffhangers though !

Kim

It's Time For the Blue Light, Isn't It?

Now's when Cathy needs to organize her healing powers for one of her own, again. Perhaps she can learn how to turn it on and off?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

OK! I'll Read the Other Comments First Next Time!

So many others had the same idea about the blue light. [Sigh!]

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Code Blue Light!

Blue Light Special needed, for sure!

Having read the chapter late

and the other comments, I still see no reason why cathy can't calm herself and try to do her magic on Tom. What a chapter though.

New comment about Tom, and Cathy, and Simon, and.....

OK, there are many characters already involved in this story to give Angharad (Bonzi really) to keep this going for only who knows how long! It is indeed a soap opera, although not on radio or TV.
I know that for Bonzi to continue this story an indefinite amount of time, some of those characters will need to die, and then be replaced by others, but is this the time for Tom to leave the plot?
OK, we seldom have the choice as to when someone will leave a story, (I had to tell the Dr. to 'pull the plug' when he told me that life support was all that was keeping my wife of 41 years alive, and even though she had a living will, I had to tell him immediately because I knew that if I hesitated, that I might not be able to follow through with her wishes). I also have a living will, and I pray that my children will be able to say the same thing when my time comes, if I don't die peacefully beforehand.
Bonzi, the decision is now yours, and yours alone. I, for one, will stand gladly behind your decision.
(scrubbies for Bonzi, as he agonizes over a difficult decision, and then quality lap time with more scrubbies and tummy rubs afterwards).

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Still cliff hanging

Cathy hold his hand , forget the doctors. You've done it for strangers, do it for your dad !!

Cefin