Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 654.

Printer-friendly version
       
Wuthering
Dormice

(aka Bike)
Part 654
by Angharad
       
DoubleThistleL.jpg

I was fuming. Why should I have to hide like a fugitive? I should be able to walk out of the drive and ignore them or talk to them–the press I mean. Except I know they’d twist every word I said to fit into the context of their story–and usually they don’t let the facts get in the way of the pitch of their story.

Tabloid newspapers are usually aimed at people’s emotions and they are light on facts but not the way they describe them. So that someone they don’t want you to like, they encourage you to see as a monster. By the end of the article, you’re usually ready to condemn them to whatever punishment the writer wants you to. They’re frequently aimed at an audience whose reading age is under ten years, and who are therefore likely to have less developed cognitive skills, especially analysis and testing. Sadly, they also tend to reinforce prejudices–of which the owners are frequently blind.

I mused about the recent picture in the Guardian of the lemur like creature that the palaeontologists reckoned was forty seven million years old, whose fossil was named ‘Ida’, and who was considered to be part of the common ancestry that humans had with other primates.

As a born again Darwinian, and fervent believer in evolution, I remembered an argument that I’d had with an old man who, I discovered later was a Jehovah’s Witness, who claimed that man was no more than a few thousand years old and that the earth was only ten thousand years old.

That fossils were as old as the rocks they were found in, seemed irrelevant to his creationist views. Man was created by a god and placed ready formed, like a living Ken doll and soon after Barbie arrived from one of his ribs. It said so in the Bible.

I tried to explain that even in theory it was wrong, Barbie would have arisen first and given birth to Ken, as in the older goddess myths which predated the takeover by the sky gods.

He didn’t want to listen, I mentioned carbon dating and he just said that was all invalid after the first atom bomb. The fact that it wouldn’t affect things except those very close to the blast zone and fall out area, he wouldn’t accept. Strontium 90 doesn’t affect Carbon 14.

This all flashed through my mind as Simon said, “Do you want me to fetch the girls later?”

“Oh that would be brilliant, Si, if you could.”

“What about little Nectarine?”

“Who?”

“The girl who stayed here last night.”

“Peaches, you mean?”

“Well I was close.” Tom, in the background, snorted and then roared with laughter. “So what am I supposed to do if she needs to come home with us?” Simon added.

“Bring her I suppose.”

“What through this circus?” he pointed at the gate.

“Oh yeah,” I sighed.

“What would I tell her? Oh by the way, Auntie Cathy, used to be Uncle Charlie?”

“That is so cruel, Simon.” I felt it strike me in the heart.

“I’m sorry, babes, but you know what I mean?”

“Do you honestly think I shall ever forget my origins? And even if I do, don’t you think there will be hordes of clamouring bigots to remind me?” I felt angry, hurt and sad; all at the same time.

“Hey, the scunners loved it,” cried Tom from the table behind us.

“What, Daddy?” I said turning around to see what he meant.

“The television critic in the Guardian, he liked your fil-um very much.”

“How do you know?” I asked moving towards him.

“See fer yersel’,” he pushed the paper towards me. I looked at the page at which he was pointing.

’… in complete contrast was Cathy Watts’ film about dormice, you know the cuddly little rodent the Mad Hatter dumped in the teapot to wake it up. They do apparently spend half their lives in hibernation, which isn’t a sleep it’s like a deep trance state, where metabolism reduces and fat can last all winter.

‘Dr Watts skipped enthusiastically around the countryside, showing her elegant legs in shorts, while she examined nesting boxes and weighed the occupants. “You can tell which ones will make it through the winter by their weight,” she explained. The ones she looked at all seemed okay, which is probably because she bred them in the first place and then released them.

‘Our Cathy, is a leading expert on dormice and things Muscardinus, and she has been researching them for years, which is amazing as she barely looks older than a schoolgirl herself–and is probably why every male over the age of twelve was totally captivated by this sexy young thing, seducing us into her world of small furry things.

‘Never mind Sir David, he never quite grabbed me like the nubile biologist from Portsmouth, and yes, her small furry things were as delightful as their foster mum. More please, Auntie.’

“It’s a bit sexist,” I commented after reading it twice, then noticed there was a picture of me in shorts and tee shirt, clambering up a ladder to get at a nesting box. “God, my bum looks huge.”

“Not from where I’m standing,” said Simon. “Let’s have a quick flit round the newspaper websites and see what they thought.”

“I think I can live with the uncertainty, and besides, I need a cuppa.” I switched the kettle on, “Anyone else for tea?”

“I’ll hae coffee,” said Tom shuffling off to his study, while Simon yelled from the dining room, “Tea please.”

Moments later he shouted, “The Telegraph heads it with, Move over Sir David, Lady Cathy is here … they seemed to like it too. The Mail, thought you were as sweet as your subjects, the Express, ‘a walk on the wildside with you would be lovely.’ Yeah, it’s all favourable. Maybe they’re not baying for your blood, just your charms.”

“What the pack of hyenas outside? I don’t care what they want, I’m not giving it to them.”

“Where’s the interview with Erin?” asked Simon.

“Bristol, I suppose.”

“Is it a good idea?” he asked.

“I don’t know.”

“Oh yes,” said Simon loudly, “this is the best yet.” He paused, “The Independent, ’Dr Watts has an infectious enthusiasm for her subject, the delightful urchin of the hedgerows and woodland edges, the increasingly rare, common dormouse, although far from common these days. Still, our attractive expert managed to find her elusive prey and scrambling up ladders in shorts, showed us her shapely legs while she poked about in nest boxes to weigh and record her victims state of health.

‘Cathy Watts, is the breath of fresh air, or should that be hair?, as it swirled seductively about her attractive face, while she explained why dormice were so interesting and why we should appreciate their use as barometers of the climate change which will ultimately affect us all.

‘Outstanding photography by the late Des Lane and Alan White, made the complex themes Cathy explained come to life, as we saw the intimacies of a dormouse fittingly called, Spike, giving birth to her twelfth litter of babies, in Dr Watts’ laboratory. Spike is apparently the dormouse thousands of Youtube viewers have seen disappear down Cathy’s blouse in that notorious clip of the press conference in Portsmouth last year …

“Weel, The Times, ’thinks you’re the Bettany Hughes of the animal world, and could add that sexy zest to nature programmes that the glamorous don has done to history, offered Tom.

“I am not riding a bloody horse to explore harvest mice,” I said noisily and Simon nearly choked on his tea.

“How aboot fer yon press conference, I reckon you’d look guid in jodhpurs,” cracked Tom from his study.

“I’ll poison your porridge, you old bugger,” I shouted back.

“Ach well, I’ll die happy,” he called in reply.

“Mummy, there’s a man standing at the door,” said Meems, and as I picked her up there was the flash of a camera.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
143 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Radiocarbon Dating

"Strontium 90 doesn’t affect Carbon 45"

Ahem...Carbon 14???

That aside, this series continues to be a must-read for me each day. Long may it continue Angharad.

Pedantic Sod (whose first degree was in chemistry)

Sorted

I've sorted it with Angharad's permish. Thanks for the info, PS. I've often wondered what the initials stood for.

Gabi

Another pedant.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

I always knew...

Angharad's picture

you were a swinger...oops, that's a pendant.

Angharad:)

Angharad

How did you know, Ang?

I'm a grumpy old singer, Oh,
I fumble when I P.

Ahem, I think that's enough of that.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

I seem to have repeated

I seem to have repeated myself—dunno how. I tried to delete it completely but failed miserably. So you have an extra comment, Ang.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

usually...

Puddintane's picture

because the posting "hangs" for some strange reason, and you click the post button again to see it it didn't work the first time. Not your fault, it's the Internet.

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

I married ...

a chemist (who piled it higher and deeper), rather than majoring in the subject. :-)

I've known a few "creationists" in my time, and none of them were willing to consider that anything else MIGHT explain things. *sighs* Perhaps there are some, but I've not met them. Though, I've not (knowlingly) met many other transgendered individuals - despite chatting with some on a regular basis... Go figure.

Interesting *sighs* reviews of the documentary. Glad at least one mentioned the photographers.

Wonder why Meems was the only one to hear the door...

Thanks,
Annette

>>> Carbon 45

Puddintane's picture

I thought Carbon 45 was fortified beer...

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Living in Texas, in the midst of the US

bible belt, I encounter people who really do seem to believe the Creationist stuff. They constantly say that since evolution is a theory, as is creationism (in their point of view), both should be taught to science students with equal weight. The words science and creationism shouldn't even be uttered in the same sentence. Creationism is religion and mythology, not science. I'll give equal weight to the creationist mythology of the origin of the universe and the really attractive Finnish one about the earth originating in a waterfowl egg but neither is a scientific theory. Grrrr...... sorry for the rant......and sorry if I've stepped on someone's religion. Just keep religion in the church and out of science class please.

Liked the reviews of Cathy's show. Still think she needs to hold a press conference where she is supported and in control and let them know that she will not talk to any others. I don't think a nature show will make her enough of a celebrity that the paparazzi will stalk her for long.

Studying Creationism

I much prefer the Iroquois creation myth, a quite intricate version involving the back of a turtle.

Now that I think about it, maybe creationism should be taught in schools. (Wait for it...) But not in a science class.

It's a fascinating subject, really a subdivision of Cultural Anthropology. Dozens of creation myths have been recorded, and there are doubtless dozens more to be collected. Teaching ALL the different creation myths in a liberal arts class would be a real eye-opener to the culturally myopic, including and maybe especially persons of fundamentalist religious stripe.

Ha! If you think they're unreasonable about science, just imagine the screaming if they had to seriously study and be tested on all of this stuff in a liberal arts class: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_myth

Actually, while originally just a sarcastic thought, the more I think about it, the healthier I think it would be for kids to be exposed to ideas from other cultures.

PBS Nova Program on Intelligent Design

There's a PBS Nova program on Intelligent Design that can be watched online http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/id/. It's the story of a Pennsylvania town school board ending up in Federal court over the issue of whether Intelligent Design is a scientific theory or religion.

I like your suggestion

But here it Texas it would somehow be turned into a class pushing religion, not one studying comparative mythology.

There was a suggestion a while ago that the bible be included in literature study since it is referred to in so many other books. There again, the fundamentalists applauded saying that studying the bible in school would do students so much good. They just couldn't get their heads around reading it as literature rather than religious law.

I have had

more than one discussion with true believers myself. BTW, the earth is 6,500 years old. . I am writing from Dallas TX, and you wouldn't believe how common it is. Makes me ashamed it does.

OK, Time For Simon

to call his dad and stop those papers. Wil that Russian Lady show up to trounce the press?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Cathy,s little masterpiece,

Cathy,s little masterpiece, I don't think she has too much too worry about from the broadsheets...Cathy has very strong views about tabloid reporters and the stories that they invent about largely innocent people... Go for it girl, Most of us agree with you!!!

Taking a picture of Cathy and Meems ....Not a good idea!!!...Wonder where that camera might finish up?

Hugs Kirri

With positive review,s of

With positive review,s of Cathy,s little masterpiece, I don't think she has too much too worry about from the broadsheets...Cathy has very strong views about tabloid reporters and the stories that they invent about largely innocent people... Go for it girl, Most of us agree with you!!!

Taking a picture of Cathy and Meems ....Not a good idea!!!...Wonder where that camera might finish up?

Hugs Kirri

>> Man was created by a god and placed ready formed...

Puddintane's picture

There's an interesting Midrash on these passages, in which the Rabbis claim that the original "Adam" was a hermaphrodite, quite similar to the being described in Plato's Symposium, and that the verse which describes Eve being taken from the "side" of Adam means split in half from a totality. Proofs are offered in that the phrase "image and likeness" is both male and female in grammatical gender, since "image" is male, and "likeness" is female in Hebrew.

Interestingly, some sources translate what we usually see as "male and female ('zakhar u'nekevah') He created them," as "masculine and feminine He created them," which is an entirely different kettle of fish, and allows more than a little "wiggle room" around the edges of the general bucket, and even some degree of mandatory overlap.

This reading is used to explain why men and women "cleave" to each other, and become "one flesh," because they thereby restore, at least in part, the entirety of God's Creation, and leaves open the possibility that some of us, at least, remember what we were in greater detail than others, and seek to restore our integral wholeness, although every human also has a personal responsibility to restore, or reconcile, the primordial male *and* female within.

This is also an integral part of the Zohar, and much of Kabbalah in general, which seeks to reconcile the male and female threads which suffuse all parts of Creation.

And we may also note that this reading, and these passages, were used to help explain the "mystery" (since the physiology and any genetic basis of either would be completely inaccessible in ancient times) of the "tumtum" and the "androgyne," who seem very likely to have been the intersexed and the transsexual respectively.

Cheers,

Puddin'
------------------
Religion, properly conceived,
is fully engaged with the
entirety of what is.
--- paraphrased from Georg Hegel

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

An amazing D'rusha

NoraAdrienne's picture

Puddin, that was a d'rusha good enough for any Rebbe's tish. Are you by chance Egalitarian, or Modern Ortho?

Adina Nechama bat Efrayim Yosef

Almost entirely secular...

Puddintane's picture

...but interested in my heritage and proud of most of it, although I quibble vigourously with the Conservative and Orthodox responsa on homosexuality and most other gender variations. I'm happier with Reform and Reconstructionist views of halacha but, quite frankly, have been known to quarrel even with myself, having reduced the metaphorical, "two Jews, three opinions" to one and four to five. When I say, "on the other hand," I usually run out of hands long before I run out of objections.

I'd have to say I'm egalitarian in everything, and am no stranger to services in which we say, "berucha at yah," purely as a matter of minhag, not belief. I try to be polite.

I've hung out with Bujews and Jewitches, and had lots of fun, I have to admit, but have never taken any of them more seriously than any other, although I'm an ordained High Priestess and once paid dues to COG. Haven't lately. It's not nearly as much fun running around skyclad as it used to be. Religious viewpoints are a lens through which to examine the world, in my particular weltanshaung, not any particular level of reality.

I've actually attended a few (modern) Orthodox services, as the shul is right down the street from me, and I like the Rabbi, who doesn't make an issue of gay and lesbian couples because, as he says, "everybody sins from time to time," and he doesn't try to make an example of those who drive either. I like arguing with him, and I think he likes arguing with me, as I usually manage to come up with things he hasn't encountered before.

There's a certain nostalgia and perhaps even comfort there, but my parents *sent* me to the Reform Temple (Sinai) about a mile further down the street, not through any particular belief, but to "innoculate" me (and my two sisters) against Christianity. Their words. It worked. It turns out that there are limits, even to indifference.

Here's Temple Sinai:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/Temple_Si...

Built in 1875, I think, and a notable bit of West Coast architecture.

I actually spent more time at Beth Abraham, the Conservative place between Beth Jacob and Temple Sinai, as most of my friends from school went there, and all three were within walking distance of my high school. The JCC was very close as well, although they've since moved to Berkeley, but one of my first jobs was running a children's drama programme there, although I'd acted in many plays as a volunteer, or worked on stage crew before that. I was even a costumed character at Children's Fairyland, the very first theme park in the USA, along with some of my girlfriends from school. That was probably the most fun I've ever had at work.

I went back to visit some few years ago, although they'd instituted a "no adults without children" rule by then, but luckily, they made an exception for me. I can be perfectly charming at times.

Can't find pictures of the other two shuls off hand but there were just the three until (quite recently -- well, 1984) a Jewish Renewal congregation (Kehilla) opened up in the neighbourhood. Took over a Presbyterian church, which slightly boggled my mind, but then Congregation Sha'ar Zahav over in San Francisco http://www.shaarzahav.org occupied what used to be a funeral parlour.

Go figure...

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Even If

it's just about how Cathy's going to avoid the baying news hounds at the door, the story continues to be interestingly told.

Thank you again, Ang.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)