Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 622

Printer-friendly version
       
Wilberforce Dynamite
(aka Bike)
Part 622
by Angharad
       
DoubleThistleL.jpg

The journey, had it been another day, could have been breathtaking. We went through part of the Grampians, so I was informed, which even I knew was where Ben Nevis lived. That’s the tallest mountain in the UK. When all of this is over, I must come back up here and enjoy it, not be looking for suspicious vehicles or helicopters. My dream still worried me.

We followed signs for Pitlochry, which I half recollected from a geography lesson. I also remember a geology teacher telling us that Scotland had broken off North America and collided with England, hence the difference in the type of geology and terrain.

It’s funny, I’d been to North Wales, then the Lake District which looked like a bigger version of North Wales and now Scotland, which looked like a larger version of the Lake District.

The weather decided things hadn’t looked bleak enough, so it clouded over and a short time later began to rain. On the floor of the car was a large metal box, inside which I presumed were the shotguns. Were the authorities aware that they were here? Why weren’t the police with us or staking out the place, or even using a military force? It puzzled me, but then I was taking the part of the goat tethered to the tree while others were tiger shooting.

I had no idea what the Cameron’s ancestral pile looked like, but I knew it would be different to castles in England, which were huge mediaeval structures usually built by the Normans to either keep the Welsh out or the local peasants down. Most were ruins or Victorian refurbishments which made the whole thing look surreal.

Suddenly we could make out a shape amongst the trees. “That’s where we’re going,” Jason told us.

Castell-Coch-aerial.jpg

“What?” I gasped at the gothic building in the distance. “That’s Stanebury?”

“Yep, pretty innit?”

I pointed it out to the girls and they bounced up and down in their seats with excitement. “It looks like a fairy tale castle, Mummy. Are there any dragons or wizards?” Trish asked.

“I don’t wike dwagons,” said Mima cuddling into me.

“No, there aren’t any dragons or wizards, nor are there any witches nor anyone else bad. It’s an enchanted castle where only nice things happen.” I averted my eyes from Jason who was giving me a very strange look–the sort which suggested Armageddon was a few hours away, whereas I was about to launch into some story about the tooth fairy or a secret treasure.

“Are we really staying there?”

“Yes, we are, Trish, a magic castle for two fairy princesses and the beautiful queen, their mother.” Jason was laying it on with a trowel.

“Did you hear that, Mummy, we’re two fairy princesses and you’re a fairy queen.”

Well, I’d been called a fairy before, but never a queen, so was this a promotion up the social scale? I had my doubts. “Of course, dear, my two lovely princesses.” I put an arm around each of them and hugged them to me, praying that we’d all survive the next few days.

We eventually turned off the main road, then after a couple of miles of secondary road, turned into a driveway, through a gatehouse with gatekeeper and thence up a winding driveway into a hanging woodland. Below us in the distance was a lake or loch and a large stream or river which flowed into it. It was amazing, even in the rain, it was truly wonderful.

Finally, we drove over a small drawbridge and into the central courtyard, where we parked and from the main door came a man with an enormous umbrella. “Lady Catherine?” he asked.

“I’m Catherine, yes.”

“I’m John Dunstan, the Laird’s head of household. I run this place for the Laird.”

“Pleased to meet you, this is Tricia and this cheeky little monkey is Mima. This, girls, is Mr Dunstan.” They both said hello, and under his umbrella we walked briskly into the house, or should that be castle?

“Wow,” was all I could say. It was so ornate with painted walls and ceilings, it was just–wow!

“Visitors are suitably impressed by the décor, ma’am.”

“Mr Dunstan, please, I’m Cathy.”

“If you don’t mind, as Mr Simon’s wife, you’ll be Lady Catherine, and perhaps lady of this estate one day. I’d prefer we treated you as if you were already Lady Catherine, it will save confusion later for the staff.”

“I, um, don’t know…”

“I’ve sought the advice of the Laird himself and he agreed with me.”

“What can I say?” I asked blushing.

“Excellent, that’s sorted then.” He took the girls’ hands and led us up an ornate staircase to a suite of rooms. “These are Mr Simon’s usual rooms, I hope they’re suitable. I’ve put the girls in the dressing room, through here.” He led us through a connecting door into a room larger than my bedroom in Bristol–and this was a dressing room?

Through another door was a bathroom with shower cabinet and toilet. It was all delightful if a trifle OTT for a grammar school girl. We looked out of the small windows into the woodland beyond. The walls were extremely thick and the window sills were easily a yard long leading into the wall, although those facing into the courtyard, which were large and often with balconies beyond. Simon’s room had a balcony and I opened the French window and stepped onto it.

If anywhere felt safe, it had to be here. However, I needed to find out where the girls could hide if there was any attack. Whilst the girls went out onto the balcony, I asked Mr Dunstan where they would go?

He showed me small door next to the fireplace, “In here, ma’am,” inside was a small chamber with a couple of chairs and a table. It looked as safe as anywhere. That relieved me a little and I showed the girls where it was and made sure they could open the door.

The sound of a helicopter filled the air and remembering my dream I screamed to the girls to go to the little room and stay there. “It’s okay, Lady Catherine, it’s just the Laird arriving.”

“I’m sorry, Mr Dunstan, we’ve had a few bad experiences recently.”

“I understand perfectly, Lady Catherine, shall I get your daughters out, I’m sure you’d like to see the Laird.”

“No it’s okay, Mr Dunstan, they’ll want to come with me. Is Lady Monica here?”

“She was, she’s gone down to Edinburgh to collect some curtains she ordered, she’ll be back tomorrow.”

Good old Monica, the rest of us are expecting World War Three and she’s gone to get new curtains–one of us has no idea of the gravity of the situation–I hope it’s me.

Henry walked with sticks from the helicopter, he was making good progress seeing as he was in plaster a few days before. We hugged, and the girls gave him an enthusiastic welcome.

“Welcome to my humble home,” he said kissing me on the cheek.

“Humble, this place is fit for a king, Henry.”

“Yes, I know, my ancestors had some difficulty keeping it from the king, and various queens as well. Victoria was quite taken with it, before that one or two of the Georges nearly visited, until we were able to put them off. Well, it’s still ours, and perhaps one day, even these two little angels. A fairy tale castle for two fairy princesses.”

“Yes, Jason said that to them on the drive here.”

“Hmm, he’s pinching all my best lines, is he?”

“No, he doesn’t have your skill in delivery.”

“You flatter me, madam.”

“But of course, kind sir,” I did a mock curtsey, “I ’as to keep in wiv me betters, dun I?”

“You do very well, Eliza,” he said bowing to me.

“Mummy’s name is Caffy, not Wiza.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
161 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Dang! The Camerons *are* rich, aren't they?

Puddintane's picture

They've obviously had it moved from Wales... and redigging the secret tunnel to Cardiff Castle must have cost a bit as well...

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

It was built

Angharad's picture

for a Scotsman, the Earl of Bute, Creighton Stewart.

Angharad

Angharad

And was featured...

Puddintane's picture

..in the TV series, The Worst Witch*, from the novels by Jill Murphy, which I loved. I'm something of a fan of children's literature.

Puddin'
-------------
* as Miss Cackle's Academy for Witches, all girls, of course...

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

OK Angharad,

Is there a Wizard on the payroll?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I was wondering how long winter was going to last ...

I like your new header picture, the Scottish Thistle.

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

picture

I saw that icon and thought, "Thistle be a good chapter!"

Groan!

Groan!

Nah, probably just the calm before the storm

... maybe we will soon be seeing catapaults or an armed platoon being deposited on the roof. I do not believe castles were designed with air defences ( yes I am using the Brit spelling ) as there were no airplanes back in the day, so it would be the logical incursion method.

This would also neatly bypass the 6 foot walls. Okay, are the Camerons rich enough to have SAMs to defend the castle ?

Finally, this is the perfect time for Cathy to rearm with another bow. Also, this is a classic part of an adventure novel,analogous to say when Frodo was able to regroup in The Fellowship Of The Ring at Rivendell.

Kim

Brit spelling

Angharad's picture

would also require aeroplanes, or just planes.

Angharad

Angharad

point taken

... missed that one *sigh*. I should be consistent.

Kim

SAMs?

Naw, they probably have stingers from the US or the British/NATO equivalent. The Stingers are very easily shoulder fired, whereas SAMs require a launch system and control that requires a truck to move it.

Yes, SAM's

SAM is the military acronimn for Surface to Air Missle. Stingers and the Javelin (Brit eqiv) are both SAM's.

10 years active, 6 reserves with the U.S. Army. At my 1st duty station in Crailsheim Germany I was better at aircraft recognition than our Battalion's organic ADA section (Redeye missle, predisessor to the Stinger.)

Simon's Title

Errr, correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't Dunstan be referring to Simon as Lord (or Laird) Cameron instead of Mr Simon ? Or is both appropriate ?

Kim

Address of family members

Angharad's picture

by servants is individual, usually evolved over years. As child it wouldhave been Master Simon, which would then become Mister as Simon grew up. Simon would be too informal, lord would be too formal, except perhaps for Henry when in residence. It's a Brit thing :)

Angharad

Angharad

Forms of address

Athena N's picture

Strictly speaking, since Henry is only a Viscount Simon shouldn't be called Lord at all - the correct formal style is 'the Honourable Simon Cameron' (and similarly for Stella). If The viscountcy is a Scottish peerage (that is, from before 1707), Simon is also the Master of Stanebury, and would likely use that title at least in Scots contexts.

Interestingly, the Peerage of Scotland is a bit more gender-equal than the other British varieties, so that if all goes as well as we may hope Trish would (assuming she won't get a brother) eventually become first the Mistress and later the Viscountess of Stanebury, as her adopted granddaddy and daddy die. I trust neither event will happen too soon, though. Also, I'm not sure whether they need to ask the Queen to allow adopted kids into the line of succession.

Peerages

Henry will probably also hold an English peerage as well as the Scots one. I have a distant cousin who has an Irish peerage founded in the 14th century coupled with an English one (using the same name) that was granted in the 19th century. If you check in Who's Who or Dod's Parliamentary Companion you will find several hereditary members of the House of Lords who hold titles in two or more of the "home countries".

It's all very confusing.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Our way is easier

That's why we chucked all that nonsense in the U.S., and rank everybody by their bank account. A very dynamic system. ;-)

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Seems okay...

Looks as if they could make a last stand there. So... Cathy was already out on the balcony surveying her firing positions, eh?

PB

love those

kristina l s's picture

wry little one liners you lob in regularly. Cathy goes social climbing by moving from fairy to queen, ya gots ta love it. Oh the rest of the story aint bad neither.

Kristina

LOL

That's all to say to that one - LOL

A very interesting photo of

A very interesting photo of the castle. Is the Scottish Thistle the Cameron's Coat of Arms for this story or does it belong to another royal? Just curious. My Mother's maiden name is Sutton and her family has relatives both in Scotland and Ireland. Found out recently depending on the color band around the coat of arms tells one which country the Sutton you are researching is from. Interesting. Did think Cathy's little "tongue in cheek" comment about "Fairy" was quite cute. J-Lynn

The Thistle Image…

…is actually a 19th century butter stamp. In the days when butter was produced by farmers' wives, they would use such stamps to mould (mold in U.S.) an image on the top of the butter pat. The moulds were made of wood, and I have two such moulds which I used to use to make the butter look pretty for dinner parties etc. Obviously it came out butter-coloured, not pretty like the logo for Bike. I always thought it was a nice finishing touch. They could be a pain to use as they had to be thoroughly soaked before use and scalded afterwards to remove any butter residue which would go rancid if not removed.

I don't know if they are still available, but I bought mine new from a catering equipment supplier in London in the nineteen-sixties.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Butter Moulds...

Puddintane's picture

Common as dirt, but they tend to be made of silicone these days, easier to unmould the butter and a breeze to clean up after. Arguably not nearly as pretty, but still, it might be crass to bring your wooden mould to the table, since one produces food for use...

I do see a "Vintage Large Wooden Carved Butter Stamp Mould Thistle" on eBay UK for thirty quid:

http://tinyurl.com/dzjfax

but I'd stick with silicone, if that's not an oxymoron.

http://www.cheftools.com/prodinfo-new.asp?number=02-1210

http://www.siliconezoneusa.com/proddir/archive/95///0/50/cat...

http://www.firstimpressionsmolds.com/

https://www.goldaskitchen.com/index.ihtml

http://www.cakesforallukshop.com/www.cakesforallukshop.coms/...

These last have a thistle mould...

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Clan Cameron Arms and Tartans

Clan Cameron has more than one tartan, two of which I show below with the clan crest superimposed.

Hope this helps,

Cameron_Tart-arms01.jpg CamTartArms02.jpg

The greeny one (much prettier) would be known as Hunting Cameron because it will blend in with the scenery better.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

That's a loverly shack...

One might wonder if Col. Pickering (or some other military type) might show up to visit. That said, I think THIS Eliza prefers Freddy (or in this case Simon), rather than Prof. (Henry) Higgins.

Thank you for reminding me of Shaw's play... I actually wrote a course paper on Pigmallion to My Fair Lady back in my Uni days. Quite fascinating the themes that were emphasized or made smaller and such. But, I should get back to the story...

It DOES look very MUCH the Fairytale castle. And, in some ways Monica heading for places elsewhere shows considerable smarts... Dunno about most folks, but I'd prefer to NOT be where the bullets fly.

Thanks,
Annette

Dunno know about you

But if somebody was trying to kill me and mine, I'd much rather have six foot walls around me than car sheet metal. Even AK-47s and RPGs have a tough time making a dent in walls that thick.

Oh, yeah, and in a room with no windows. ;-)

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

I reckon next

we find out that Henry is not really a banker, that is just his cover, as he has a high govt post. And Simon is really a special agent for the same agency. Thats why all the casual attitude over the firearms, and the other stuff. Cathy is still well out of the loop on this one. She needs to settle down, stop being so prickly (thistlely...is that even a word), and start asking some smart questions.

Will we see Simon tossing the caber before its over?

Are you suggesting...

Angharad's picture

...that Simon is a tosser?

Angharad

Angharad

Well...

Puddintane's picture

He *does* spend a lot of time away from the comforts of home.

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Mafia Don

This guy is going after someone richer and more connected than he is.

Are there monsters in the moat

The magnitude of Simon's wealth is now shown to Cathy. He's not collecting green stamps

Cefin

Green Stamps & Monsters

The family is wealthy enough that they might well be dispensing said green stamps.

As for monsters, just toss in a few mature crocs, let them breed for a decade or two, and people will avoid the moat like the proverbial plague.