Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 612.

Printer-friendly version
       
Wildebeest Dynamite
(aka Bike)
Part 51 dozen
by Angharad
       
Snowflake_300h.jpg

The rest of the day proved quieter and calmer, we eventually got the children up to bed where Tom read them more from Winnie the Pooh. I tried to forget the traumas of the day and did a few chores–made bread, put the washing on.

“How’re ye, lassie?” asked Tom as came back down.

“I’m okay, I’ll be a bit jumpy in car parks for a few days, but I’ll be okay.”

“Ye’re quite a wee tough nut, aren’t ye?”

“What d’you mean?”

“Well, things that would hae sent the rest o’ us tae the nut house, ye jes shrug off, like a bad dream.”

“Would you prefer it if I did a Stella, with full sound effects of renting of clothes and gnashing off teeth?”

“No, lassie, I widnae. I was paying ye a wee compliment.”

“Sounded like a back handed one to me.”

“In which case, I apologise.”

“No, it’s me, I’m hypersensitive. It’s been a long day, I suppose.”

“Aye it has, why not hae an early nicht.”

“I think I might.” I took my cuppa and MP3 player with me. I’d recently downloaded some tracks from The Who, which I remembered from my childhood. Possibly not the best thing to relax to, but some of it was quite funny, like Boris the Spider, then there was, I’m a Boy which I suspect was a favourite of the transgendered population. My own favourites were the good old rock ‘n’ roll tracks, like My Generation, Pinball Wizard, and Won’t get fooled again.

I got to bed and was listening to my MP3 when a song I’d forgotten came up. Behind Blue Eyes. I listened to it with new ears.

’No one knows what it’s like to be the bad man, the sad man behind blue eyes.

No one knows what it’s like to be hated, to be fated to telling only lies…

…No one knows what it’s like to have these feelings, like I do and I blame you…’

While it isn’t about any group in particular, I could identify with some of the emotions in the song as applying to the loneliness of some transgendered folk. It seems that even though I’m now cured officially, I have actually changed sex, having been officially male and now being female; yet, it’s never quite that simple, I still carry all the baggage I had before. I’ve never been much of a member of the TG community yet at the same time I can’t seem to leave it behind entirely, which puzzles and perplexes me somewhat. I suppose with Trish, I can’t exactly leave it behind anyway.

The strident chords of Pete Townshend’s guitar distracted me and I was singing along with Roger Daltrey in, Won’t get fooled again, I switched the light off and lay down still listening to the ancient rockers strutting their stuff, and fell asleep, sleeping through even Daltrey’s scream in the same track, the second time around. The battery was flat the next morning and I had two little bodies tucked in either side of me.

At a reasonable time, I wished Trish a happy birthday and gave her a kiss, Mima gave her one too. Trish immediately burst into tears. “What’s the matter, kiddo,” I asked, hugging her.

When she’d calmed down, she explained it was her first birthday as Trish, which nearly had me in tears too. Mima was a bit confused and I had to explain.

“People thought Trish was a boy, and although she tried to tell them she was a girl, no one would listen.”

“That’siwwy, anyone can see she’s a girw.”

“I’m afraid some people can’t, Meems, so you’re going to have to be brave at times and protect your sister, because some people can be quite unpleasant about it.”

“Peopew is stupid,” snapped Mima, and hugged Trish tightly, “I’ww pwotect you, Twish, fwom those howwibew peopew.”

It was so touching, yet had a sort of dark comedic effect about it that I wasn’t sure whether to laugh or cry. In the end I did a bit of both. Once we’d had our emotional family hug, we showered together and then after dressing quite tidily, went down for breakfast.

On the table in Trish’s place was a small pile of packages and cards, she ran to the table and the look on her face was a picture, I’d actually remembered to get my camera out and took a couple of pictures of her opening her cards and presents.

The Nintendo thing I got her went down very well–she was really pleased with it. Tom’s offering of a cross and chain in gold, was also well received even though I had reservations about the religious symbolism. Meems went and brought her sister the parcel of new pyjamas and slippers and in return, Trish gave her a similar one. Trish’s was red and Meems had a green set. They both seemed happy.

We managed to get the serious bit over, that of ingesting sustenance to break our fasts, and then Meems rushed off to try her new pyjamas on, while Trish got stuck into her little hand held game machine. Tom was shown everything even though he’d been present at the breakfast. To be fair to him, he has more patience with them I than I do.

Much of my morning was going to be involved with making jelly and ice creams, but I saw that Morrisons had been very kind in supplying not only a cake but also a trifle and some ice cream. I did some mini sausage rolls and at one point Meems came out to help me.

“Is Daddy comin’ to Twish’s party?”

“I don’t know, sweetie pie,” I said making some vol-au-vents.

“I don’t wike those,” she said looking at me and indicating my choice of fillings for the pastry containers.

“Well you don’t have to eat them, do you?”

“No, Mummy.”

“Pass me that tray please, Meems.”

We’d just finished them and were taking them out of the oven when Andy Bond arrived.

“You smelt the tea,” I teased him.

“No, but something does smell wonderful.”

“Yes, I’ve been making a few bits for Trish’s birthday tea.”

“Oh yes, this is entirely off the record, but…” he pulled a small package out of his pocket.

“Trish, come and see what PC Bond has for you.” The sound of hoof beats and she came galloping in.

“Oh wow, thanks, Mr Bond.” She tore open the paper and inside was a tee shirt with the Teletubbies on it.

“I hope it’s okay,” said the genial copper.

“Oh yes, thank you,” and she made him bend down so she could give him a kiss. Mima gave him a kiss too, then they went off to play again.

“Nice girls you have, Cathy.”

“I think so, but then I would.”

“Well the birthday girl is looking very dressed up today.”

“Yes, she’s so excited. She’s five years old today and this is her first birthday as a girl.” I blushed before I realised I just betrayed her secret and clasped my hand over my mouth. It was too late.

“You mean, she’s a boy–I mean was a boy,” said the astonished copper.

“Yes, which is partly why she’s with me. Her paediatrician sort of foisted her on me. Can you believe I didn’t want to get involved, but I’m glad I did now. She’s a delightful child.”

“I agree entirely, oh and her secret’s safe with me.”

“Thanks, Andy. Tea or coffee?”

He drank his coffee and had piece of toast from my previous loaf, which he seemed to enjoy. We did the statement and I typed it out and signed it for him. It was slightly irregular, insofar it wasn’t on police stationery, but he thought it would be just as valid. I simply thought it would save him a second visit. He also said I typed faster than he could. Well, instead of doing metal work, to which I was signally unsuited, I did typing and computers. I’ve never regretted it, much more use than being able to make a four ounce paint scraper from five pounds of raw steel.

I handed him the signed statement which he read and approved. “That’ll save you another visit,” I said.

“Actually, Cathy, this is one house I quite enjoy visiting.”

“Well you’ve been here a few times.”

“Yes, well I hope next time it will be for something more positive than this.”

“Have they identified the body?”

“Bodies you mean?”

“Oh gosh yes, there were three killed weren’t there?”

“Yes, although we’re not sure the one was the man who harassed you.”

“What? It had to be, who else would…?”

“We’ll that’s the sixty four dollar question,” he agreed.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
150 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

LOL - Of course you would...

String us along yet another day - first on whether Simon'll show his face and second on who was in the car...

Those that like/love/accept us are the ones most likely to out us... Even though they do it quite accidentally... No matter how careful they may be, it's likely that sooner or later a missed pronoun, or even a name, will slip out. Cathy's slip up was entirely due to pride in her daughter and happiness that she's finally able to celebrate a birthday as herself. It's quite understandable. Luckily PC Bond is one that respects them and will keep the confidence (unless it came to bear on a case of course).

Thanks,
Annette

Cathy...

Puddintane's picture

Tch, tch.

Puddin'
-----------------
If you reveal your secrets to the wind
you should not blame the wind for
revealing them to the trees.
--- Kahlil Gibran

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Hmmm.... Could It Have Been Psycho Doc?

jengrl's picture

I wonder if Psycho Doc was the one who tried to kill them? If the forensic team finds out that the driver was a woman, then it is a pretty good possibility that she was the one behind it. PC Bond is a great ally to have around. He was not bothered at all when Cathy told him about Trish.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

OK Angharad

Are you having fun keeping us guessing? I hope so, because the guessing is fun

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Well...

Puddintane's picture

It tells us something about the young Cathy's taste in music.

A mellower variation on the theme is The Moody Blues' Never Comes the Day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dzRdyC0abA

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

I did not want to say it ...

but I had a feeling that maybe Cathy had been attact by some one else than the que jumper although I have no real guess as to who it could be or why.

The psycho doc is a good guess I have to agree but a bit too obvious.
I think it may have to do with what Simon is up to (not directly but indirectly) or some one who knows Trish's secret and the attack was aimed at her.

Well we shall wait and read.

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

Definitely enjoy those old

The Who hits. Seems like Cathy turned a little philosophical late at night. Not really in character for her to spill Trish's secret to Bond. I'm kind of wondering though if Bond is seeing more in Cathy than an official visit. Hmmm..... Simon better hurry back.

Hah.

I knew it wasn't the line jumper.

And I thoroughly approve of Cathy's musical tastes. Now, maybe she can show off some homegrown talent and listen to some Super Furry Animals.

Ah-Hah!

Since no one picked up on my comment to part 610, I'm going to link to it here in a brazen act of toldyaso!

http://www.bigclosetr.us/topshelf/fiction/12547/easy-falling...

Still could be anything, of course, so I don't claim any clairvoyance points or anything. Waiting is such sweet sorrow! I just know whatever it is, is going to be... interesting.

falling of bike pt611

i have to say being a brit some of the scots language is very hard to follow.but i do admit i am hooked and still need my daily fix of this story.(should be made into a film?)it has more twists than sherlock holmes

It's really quite simple...

Puddintane's picture

For Lowland Scots English, just think of how you'd say it in Middle English just after the Norman Conquest, when quite a few English nobles and their retainers moved across the border to escape the new ruling class, add in a little Gaelic, bring to a steady boil, adding Elizabethan English to taste, then simmer slowly with a sprig of BBC radio and telly, then shift the lot toward the North of England. For Highland English, think of Ireland.

Here's the Scots Wikipedia for reference:

http://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Trish

Agreed, it might not have been the que jumper. It could have been related to mima and her parants.

Hmm. Does PC Bond have a

Hmm. Does PC Bond have a soft spot for a certain dormouse lady?????