Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 686.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 686
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“There’s some post for you,” said Simon, handing me a pile of letters. One was bearing an Edinburgh post mark, so I put the others down and slit it open with a kitchen knife.

It was from Crabtree, McCulloch and Sterling.
’Dear Mrs Watts,

Re: Last will & testament of Dr Anthony Richards, deceased.

I am instructed to write to you by our client, the late Dr Anthony (Tony) Richards, the father of Peaches Olivia Richards. The instruction is posthumous, our client having taken his own life. He considered that his daughter, Peaches, seemed happier with you, and hoped that you continue to look after her until she reached an age of independence, or decided to live elsewhere: in which case he hoped you would agree to her wishes, however unlikely it seemed. He also suggests that he wouldn’t have been opposed to you formally adopting her, as neither he nor his late ex-wife, Peaches’ mother, seemed particularly suited to parenthood.

Our client has instructed this firm to administer and manage his estate, which is significant. We are instructed to inform you that, until Peaches reaches majority, or leaves your care, you will be paid a monthly sum which will be index linked, plus all school fees will be paid directly to the school. Should this venue change, or Peaches achieve a university place, any fees incurred should be charged directly to us.

If adoption doesn’t take place, then we require an annual interview with Peaches to ensure she is happy in your household. We hope this will be a mere formality, and that you appreciate it as a condition of the will. Peaches should realise that as sole beneficiary, she will inherit the rest of the estate upon reaching the age of twenty five years.

We are also empowered to grant monies for special purchases, such as clothing or computers, for Peaches use. If you have any queries concerning this or other points arising from this letter, please do let us know and we shall do all we can to resolve them.

Thank you for looking after Peaches, our client is most grateful for your assistance.

Yours sincerely,

Duncan Sterling.’

I read the letter two or three times, and showed it to Simon. Then Tom saw it. “Are ye gonna adopt her?”

“In time possibly, but just think what the other two would feel like if we did?”

“Aye, ‘tis a tricky wee spot tae be in.”

“I hope they invest her money for her, if they’re administering the will, they’ll charge a fortune.” I was concerned for the child that the money could run out before she got any.

“Whit aboot the mither’s money, whit’s happened tae it?”

“I don’t know, but if we don’t hear soon, I shall ask Mr Sterling to investigate on her behalf.”

“Aye, for anither fat fee.”

“Possibly, I don’t know, but I don’t know how to do it, and it should be part of his job, shouldn’t it, representing his client’s child?”

“Aye, I suppose so.”

I made us a light evening meal of salad and pasta. The girls enjoyed it more than Simon and Tom, who complained that they weren’t Italian rabbits. As head cook and bottle washer, I ignored their comments.

I managed to get Livvie on her own and nodded her through into the study. “I’ve heard from your late father’s advocate. He tells me that he will administer your father’s will, which includes you being funded to stay at the school, if you so wish.”

“Can I stay with you, Mummy?”

“I was just about to say, it also permits that.”

“Will you adopt me?”

“Not for the moment Livvie, I couldn’t adopt you and not do the same to Trish and Mima, could I?”

“No, Mummy.”

“But that doesn’t mean we won’t at some point in the future, if you’re still happy with the idea.”

“But I am, Mummy,” she looked at me with pleading eyes, which I tried to ignore, it was hard.

“That’s now, Livvie, you could change you mind in a year or so.”

“No I won’t.”

“Livvie, please accept what I say as fact. Young people often change their minds after thinking they know what they want.”

“But, I do want…”

“You might change your mind tomorrow, but neither your father’s advocate nor Simon and I, believe you will. However, sweetheart, we don’t want to reduce the choices you could have.”

“I know what I want,” she protested and I hugged her, hoping it would shut her up.

“Let’s just wait and see a while shall we?”

“But I know, Mummy.”

“You think you do, which is fine with me, but the courts wouldn’t necessarily agree. Leave it to the experts, besides I think we have to wait a year or so.”

“That’s not fair,” she pouted and began to cry. I hugged her again and in my heart agreed with her.

The thought of adoption–and making a child, ours to keep, until they grew up or decided to move on–wonderful. Whether the courts would agree is another matter, which I don’t want to face at present. I’ll ask Mr Sterling if we have to do anything to keep custody of Livvie and to get on and do it.

I sent an email to his address asking just that, and waited to see how long it took for a response. It came as I was about to go up to bed, so he worked fairly long hours. He suggested it was all in hand. As I thought of the double entendre of the statement, I went to bed smirking and occasionally giggling.

A thought that crossed my mind, was, how my favourite judge might advise us to proceed towards adopting the three of them, and if he would, advise us?

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
163 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Time

Poor Livie! Children that age don't really have a good grasp of the whole time concept. There are two time periods for them: Now, and Eternity. If it doesn't happen right away then it never is going to happen.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

I Love You, Mummy!

Those four words are what any woman yearns to hear who yerns to have children. When will Cathy get to set up shop at home so that she can keep Spike and a few others> She could teach the kids about nature, then, and go for family outings, looking at nature.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Livvie sure has latched onto

Livvie sure has latched onto Cathy hard! Hopefully she can get the whole adoption thing settled for all three of them soon.

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

They Need To Go To Court

jengrl's picture

Simon and Cathy need to go to court and have the parental rights of Mima's and Trish's parents terminated and begin the process of adopting all three girls. They need the security of knowing that no one can come in and take them away. Livvie knows what love is, now that Cathy, Simon, Tom Stella, Mima and Trish have shown her what a real family is supposed to be about. Her father openly acknowledged that he and Laura were poor excuses for parents. Livvie and her sisters deserve that reassurance that comes with being a forever family.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Understand Livvie's POV

on timing of adoption. No matter what Cathy says, she's going to think a delay means she isn't wanted. No idea what Cathy can do to convince her otherwise. Time for a wedding then some court action on the kids.

Hummm, a new curve thrown at

Hummm, a new curve thrown at Cathy as she is now more than a surrogate mother for Livvie. Cathy and Simon really need to get their nuptials done and then go to court and request all three girls on a permanent basis. I don't believe the judge, the doctors, or anyone else, with the exception of Mrs. "Holier than thou" when she sticks her nose into things, would have any objections. J-Lynn

Adoptions

I suspect the judge might be a little more inclined to grant adoption of the three musketeers if there was a preceding wedding.

Michelle B

Yes c'mon Simon

make an honest woman out of Cathy, Nothing's stopping you now!! And after all you will have three very pretty bridesmaid's that would absolutely love it!

Kirri

Rather, c'mon Cathy!

Cathy is the one who needs to get moving to set up the wedding. She needs to contact that nice minister she met all those months ago and arrange for her to marry Simon and Cathy. With this latest development regarding Livvie, the sooner the two of them are legally married, the better as far as the future security of the three musketeerettes is concerned!

Jenny

Jenny

Livvie

Kids can be pretty selfish, but also not. If she knows she has an in where her new siblings don't she may be willing to wait. I doubt it though, it would eliminate a lot of insecurities.

The other side, if done as a bunch there will be no bringing it up during the occasional spat. Cathy knows better than anyone, Stick and stones may break your bones, but words can really scar you.

Poor Trish and Mimi, they

Poor Trish and Mimi, they have to wait for adoption.
The path could be shorter if Cathy would get a hold of Marguerite, and tie the knot

Cefin