Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 673.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 673
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Petunia’s greenfly turned out to be pig flu, so the school was closed by the local authority. There was total mayhem the next morning as we’d left before the school phoned. Some other mothers were also there and the discussions were heated. I stayed on the periphery and nodded to the head mistress as she approached the angry mothers, some of whom would now have to take time off work. In that regard I was lucky. However, I wasn’t sure how lucky we’d be about avoiding the newly classified pandemic.

I felt most worried about Stella and Puddin’ as they were likely to be most at risk. I decided I’d take the kids to Bristol for the interim. If they didn’t start sneezing or growing curly tails for a few days, we were probably okay.

I phoned Simon and told him what we were going to do, he wasn’t too pleased. Stella thought it was highly improbable that she’d caught the flu bug or that the children had either. Tom was in work and I thought I’d leave him a note.

I had decided, and packed as many clothes and toys as I could squeeze into my car. Even with the roof rack, I couldn’t take them all. I did manage the two girl’s bikes and Mima’s push chair. They were actually tied on to my bike rack—okay, I took the Specialized with me, though I couldn’t see how I’d be able to find time to ride it.

I packed the kids next. What was I doing? Three children on my own–I’d be a basket case in a couple of days, and they’d all be beaten to death. Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea after all? Too late now, they were all excited about seeing my house in Bristol. I packed even more stuff inside the car, soft stuff that would protect rather than ricochet around the car in the event of an impact. Then we left.

The journey was quicker than usual–perhaps I was meant to go home? The children rushed about the place as soon as I opened the door and then they were squabbling about whose bedroom was whose? We solved that problem. All the girls would sleep in the spare room, in sleeping bags. They thought it was going to be an adventure–it now seemed more like an ill thought out nightmare to me.

Once we’d unloaded the car–how did I get that much in in the first place?–I decided we’d get the shopping over. Three of them on my own in Asda? Not good policy. At one point I did think of buying three toddler harnesses and linking them to the front of the trolley, like a dog team. “Go to meat and poultry, mush!” It was certainly a happier scenario than the three of them running amok–“No you can’t have one, put it back,” and words to that effect.

I took them into the cafeteria and got them each a drink, while I had a cuppa. I read the riot act. “Now look, you three have done nothing but run about and generally misbehave ever since we got here. I know you don’t like shopping–neither do I–but we need to do some or we won’t have any food. I was going to buy you some treats, but frankly you don’t deserve any. I’m ashamed of the three of you. If you don’t behave, I shall take you home and you’ll all go to bed without any food until tomorrow. Is that clear?”

“Yes, Mummy,” was murmured back at me. The woman on the next table was killing herself laughing at my plight. I could almost feel her saying, “Stupid single parent, that’ll teach her to have three children, all by different fathers, no doubt.” In some ways I wished she had, then I could have told her she was correct, they are all by different fathers, oh and different mothers, too.

We moved on, paid for the groceries and the girls were much better behaved. We filled up with fuel, too, at the supermarket, it was slightly cheaper although the trend was upwards. Did they increase the fuel tax recently?

Back at my house, they helped me unload and finally, I allowed them to go and play. Because it’s a cul de sac, they were delighted to be able to ride their bikes on the pavement and even the road–Trish and Livvie were becoming a little too adventurous. I called at them to be careful, but it fell on stony ground–the problem was, so did Trish. She hit the kerb and fell off, grazing her hand, knee and elbow. She came wailing into the house.

It was going to be a long few days. I patched her up with Bandaids and Elastoplast and she went back out and seemed just as reckless as before. Livvie was no better and it only seemed a matter of time before she came a cropper too.

I made sandwiches for lunch, we’d have a Bolognese for supper, it was quick and easy, if a little messy for them to eat. I set up the breadmaker, it was still working, and at least later we’d have some new made bread. Meanwhile, we’d have to cope with the sliced loaf I’d bought earlier.

I made a temporary cot for Mima’s dolls out of a couple of shoe boxes, and she made a beeline for my Paddington Bear. He was about the only thing I managed to save from my car when it caught fire on the motorway.

“Can I pway wiv him, Mummy?”

“No, darling, he isn’t a toy.”

“He’s a teddy beaw, Mummy.”

“Daddy Simon bought him for me when we first went out together.”

“I want him,” she said angrily.

“I said, no. It means no, so you can want all you like, you won’t have it.” She sulked after that and I had some space for the rest of the afternoon. A bit later, I was carrying stuff up to my bedroom and Paddington was gone. I found him tucked into her bed, still wearing his sou’wester and wellies. I felt very cross but instead of fomenting the problem, I put the bear into my wardrobe and locked it.

At bedtime, Mima acted very strangely. She was trying to stop me noticing about my bear. Then she had a shock, it wasn’t in her bed. She went absolutely frantic searching the house for him before I realised what she was doing.

“What are you doing?” I asked Mima. She shrugged her arms and kept searching the house. When I grabbed her and demanded to know what she was doing she told me. I then informed her, Paddington wasn’t a toy and that I had put him safe. She cried and demanded I give him back to her.

“It wasn’t yours in the first place, you took it from me, that’s stealing, especially as I asked you not to.” She responded with a wobbly and I sent her to bed, checking on her ten minutes later–she was fast asleep. I began to wonder if she did have the flu.

She seemed to sleep through tea, even though I went up to wake her myself. She had no temperature and I couldn’t think what was wrong with her. I left her a bit longer and the next thing I knew, she was back down and bouncing around like Tigger. I had kept her some food in the oven, and she ate it like there was no tomorrow. I was so pleased that she hadn’t got any of the Bolognese sauce on her clothes when she managed to catch the plate as she left the table and it smeared all over her top and shorts.

The older girls decided to play with my mother’s old make up, even painting each other’s nails as well as the dressing-table top. When I found them, I could have murdered them. By the time I’d cleaned them up, Mima was missing.

We found her ten minutes later walking her dolly up and down the road in a pushchair. Despite wanting to terminate her existence, I realised how worried I’d been. Much more of this and I’d be taking them back to Portsmouth whether or not they had swine flu. Maybe they did, they were all behaving like little swines.

I slept badly, worrying about them. They all seemed to be asleep as soon as they got into their sleeping bags. I had horrible dreams of losing them and them all turning into pigs and while I tried to argue that they didn’t have pig flu. At the time it was awful, in the morning it seemed rather silly.

They breakfasted on cereal and toast, and I took them around Bristol. They seemed genuinely excited and I took them over Brunel’s bridge or the Clifton suspension bridge, to give it its full name. They seemed quite in awe of it and Mima was too frightened to walk across it without holding my hand.

That night seemed okay, then on Sunday, I took them to Bristol Zoo, hoping to trade them in for something less trouble, a baby gorilla would have been a decent swap, but they were fresh out of them.

I visited the polar bears, where years ago I’d watched a polar bear walk three paces forward and three back for half an hour. He did it so often, there were steps worn in the concrete of their enclosure. I remember suggesting that he was mentally ill, they are supposed to roam over hundreds of square miles hunting seals and anything else small enough to kill and eat. I learned later a vet agreed with my diagnosis and the poor creature was put down.

The girls enjoyed the zoo and I must admit, so did I. We all slept well that night.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
145 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks...

Luckily no occurrences of said flu in our neighborhood - though not far away in NYC...

Did Cathy go too far? I dunno. She'll hbe having issues dealing alone, but hopefully the girls will settle down.

Meems isn't likely to understand that something's not hers - it's the age... Cathy's response sounds "familiar"... Went through that here. Youngest did take one critter - and was allowed to (cause her older sister had one, and the mfgr quit making them *sighs*... The others no. But now that she's 12 - she gave it back to her mommy. :-)

Thanks,
Annette

Kids these days! ;)

Poor Cathy's running herself ragged again! Keep up the good work Angahard!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Kids are a blessing

But a trial too. Looks like Cathy's having more of the trial than the blessing right now. I guess 5 year olds can be somewhat rational but 3 is pretty young and self centered.

Awwww..... I was enjoying the idea that Petunia had lice. I suppose her mom would blame it on the other "filthy little urchins" at school but funny that none of them had it.

Sure hope Cathy doesn't end up with the flu and 3 little kids to take care of in Bristol.

wishing

that Cathy'd have one of those awwww moments that remind you of how much children enrich your life.

I remember...

The only time I have ever been to a zoo, it was Bristol zoo in about 1984. I remember seeing the polar bear pacing back and forth. It made me so sad and I have never had the desire to visit another traditional zoo.

That Bear

Will need loking after. When the older girls discover him, a misadventure is next.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Teddies...

PattieBFine's picture

I had my Panda-bear untill I was twelve... My twin started smoking then and flipped a not-quite-out match into the toy-box while anoying me... and both of ours then burned-up with most of our toys! I had to yell out the window for help as it was right beside the rooms door and I couldn't get out! I cried alot when I realized he was gone!

I must be weird then

I do not recall, from the day of my first memory, ever being bratty in any form. I knew the concept of ownership, I never took anything that wasn't mine. I was patient, put others needs before mine, understood the concept of saving money etc.

Played nice with others except for one instance when I momentarily lost my temper. Helped out with chores. Never complained about doing my chores.

I think I am from another planet.

Kim

Brats!

PattieBFine's picture

I wasn't alowed such free time.... I don't know how my Mom managed at the out-set. I'm a twin and the last of ten kids... at some point I understand it becomes a self-governing- entirety with the olders watching the youngers... I would have prefered a parent! Life was never dull!

As for food... KISS was the way to go tonight, MEATLOAF! :-)

more Kids Cathy? it's to many or not enought! Hehehe!

Cheers!

Oh goody

The food is back, now I know what to fix for dinner, spaghetti (carbs) with a side of more carbs (bread)yum :)
Oh and brekkies too.... cereal, yes carbs again! Cathy better get on that bike soon.

Missing link?

Id this really 672 as it seems to fall in line. Great scene with the teddy bear. I keep some around just for when the grandkids stay over. It really seems to make a difference to them.

You right!

You're right, Stacy; this SHOULD be part 672! I suppose the powers that be will have to correct that for Angharas.

As for the episode itself, it was rather timely with the reference to Swine Flu. Here in Las Vegas last week, one local school had about 150 students out on Wednesday and over 200 on Thursday (out of about 600 students). A test of six ill students who went to classes showed that 4 of them had the Swine Flu; yet the Clark County School District refused to close down the school!!!

Jenny

Jenny

This is part 673

Angharad's picture

there is a 672, check for it on 'the week'.

Angharad

Angharad

I thought I remembered a

I thought I remembered a 672! I checked, and it looks like you may have forgotten to add #672 to the 'Outline' of Easy as Falling Off A Bike. It's not listed with the others.

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

672

I thought there was, but when I was clicking links to compile into a doc., the latest links must not have settled in, as they came uo that way. When I checked today, and over on the right, they fell into place. Forgive me for doubting you, oh great one. And sorry to Ang also.

Was the Polar bear the thing

Was the Polar bear the thing that got Cathy on the road to being a Biologist? Seems like she "nailed it" by deciding the bear was mentally ill and then a vet later agreeing with her. J-Lynn

I worked in a zoo.

Well, it was called a zoo but in reality it was a small menagerie in an amusement park in Skegness where I worked various cashier boxes during the school holidays. It was an awful place with mangy lions in tiny cages pacing up and down. It's sole claim to fame was that it was venue where the infamous unfrocked vicar of Stiffkey preached a sermon in one of the lion's cages and was mauled to death (search on either Google or Wikipedia). I now avoid all zoos as much as possible - horrible places.

Geoff

Harold Davidson

It might not have been the lion that killed him...

"Davidson was taken to Skegness Cottage Hospital with a neck injury and broken collar-bone and lacerations on his upper body. The lion had mauled him at the neck leaving a gash behind his left ear. The injury was not severe; the lion was old, toothless and sedated. He was recovering from his injuries and it was arranged that he should be taken back to London by one of his daughters. Then the man who had employed him, a Captain Rye sent private doctors to treat him. They diagnosed an advanced case of diabetes without testing him for the disease. They ordered insulin and supervised the injection themselves. The rector sank into a coma and died the next morning." (source: Wikipedia, uncited)

Insulin overdose? Unsurprisingly, the coroner recorded a verdict of "Death by misadventure"...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Quarantine

Wonder if the British quarantine cases like this? It might make Cathy's life easier, but then, maybe not. Who would get the food!