Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 677.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 677
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I must have gone off to sleep properly, because I wasn’t awakened until ten by Simon bearing a cup of tea. “I thought you’d want to wake up before too long, or the day will be half over.”

“What time is it?” I asked.

“Ten, why?”

“Oh, okay.” I took the tea, then glanced at the clock, “But it’s ten o’clock, why did you let me sleep this late?”

“I just said it was ten o’clock, didn’t you believe me?”

“Sorry, darling, I was half asleep. I have to get up, the girls will want…”

“The girls are out with Tom, he’s sneaked off work for the morning.”

“But they haven’t had breakfast…”

“Says who? I gave them breakfast myself.”

“Thank you, darling.”

“See, I’m not completely useless. If Stella can work out which end to put in the fuel and which end to remove waste, then I’m sure I can as well.”

“Looks like it. What are they wearing?”

“Who Stella and Pudding?”

“No, my, I mean our girls.”

“Clothes, what did you think they were wearing?”

I drank my tea, if he knew what I was thinking, he’d throw a wobbly. I can’t remember if he’s ever dressed the girls without my supervision. I held my peace.

“They chose their own stuff, this morning after I rang the school and confirmed there was no tuition today. They suggested we let them read to us in lieu of schoolwork, so I thought you could do that after lunch–I’ve got to call in at our Gosport branch, something has gone awry and they want me to investigate.”

“You? But you’re a commodities broker?”

“Amongst other things, I’m a licensed auditor too.”

“In which case do you want to do a quick check and make sure I’m all there before you disappear?” I winked at him. I wasn’t really in the mood, but thought he deserved some encouragement for his efforts, he did seem to be doing his best. He moved towards the bed with a twinkle in his eye. “Perhaps you’d better lock the door, Si?”

We had just got downstairs after showering together–much more fun than with the girls–when Tom returned with the girls and Kiki. “Did you have a good time?” I asked the girls.

“Yes, we fed the ducks, except Mima couldn’t throw the bread far enough and the seagulls kept on getting it first,” said Livvie.

“Poor wee, Meems, never mind, the seagulls need to eat as well, don’t they sweetheart?” I gave her a hug.

“Siwwy ducks, they wouldn’t come an’ get the bwead,” she said indignantly.

“Never mind, sweetheart, you had a nice time though?”

“Oh yes, Mummy, some of the ducks was pwetty.”

“Did they have green heads?” I asked.

“Some of them did, Mummy,” suggested Trish, “some were all brown.”

“Those were the female ducks, the green ones were the drakes, or male ducks.”

“There were some white ones, too, Mummy,” Livvie informed me, “were they boys or girls, Mummy.”

“I don’t know, Livvie, they could be either.”

“You mean they could choose to be boys or girls? Did you hear that, Trish, wouldn’t that be fun, it would be like that Gaby girl in the stories, she gets to choose if she’s a boy or a girl. Would you like to be a boy sometimes? I think it could be fun.” I felt myself flinch and was pretty sure Trish did the same.

“Twish is a girw,” said Mima, a touch defensively, which I hoped Livvie didn’t pick up, and I prayed she wouldn’t say any more about. Thankfully she didn’t. I looked at Tom, who was also holding his breath. In some ways the sooner Livvie was told the state of play, the easier it could be, providing she was positive about it. If she was negative–it could be a real problem. I would wait and talk with Trish about it, after all, the consequences would be hers, primarily.

I made a salad for lunch, which Simon scooped up between two pieces of bread and scoffed unceremoniously, to my horror and the girls amusement. Tom had already gone, presumably for his chicken curry.

The girls went out to play in the garden, the older two riding their bikes–“You can be Gaby, I’ll be Drew,” called Livvie. Logically, it shouldn’t have been possible for a teenager to race him/herself, but that was what was happening in the drive.

Meems had gone to help Stella with Puddin’, and seemed to be really enjoying playing with her ‘cousin’, presumably as a life size doll. While she was doing that, I found a few minutes to check my emails.

Hi Cathy,
I’ve been on to the BBC and cheques should be in the post for your cooperation the other week with their radio and TV interviews. Midweek has decided you’re too old news for them, but Start the Week, with Andrew Marr, is interested especially if you were to raise some topical subject like the mammal survey. It would mean going to London–don’t know if you’re interested or not. Remember, the higher your profile the more we’ll get for the Harvest Mice film, when you make it.

I’ve had enquiries from two independent wildlife film makers for you to do films with them, both on mammal subjects, one is about bats, and the other is about badgers and TB. Maybe we could get together to discuss things with one or other of them.

Hope all is well,

Erin’

Damn, all I needed was more media exposure. I hadn’t agreed to do the harvest mouse film yet, so she was jumping the gun, what she wanted for Andrew Marr’s show was Tom, he’s the lead scientist on the survey.

The idea of presenting or collaborating with other film makers filled me with dread. If I had no history waiting to jump out of the cupboard like a dog to bite me, then it might be a nice idea–but, because I had secrets which could affect others as well as me, it wasn’t such a good one. I had the children to protect now, Trish knew about me, Mima didn’t neither did Livvie, who might be most affected. Either way, I didn’t want to threaten their family bonding, even though I knew it could be making things worse down the line.

It was one of those Catch 22 situations where if you explained it all and they accepted it, things were fine. If they didn’t things could get very sticky very fast. Trish, would stay with me until they prised her away with crowbars. Mima would probably be similar, and as she has known me for some little while now, only sees me as female. Livvie, is the real problem. If she found out later from an external source, she might be unconcerned about it, she might be cross but cope or she could be very unhappy and feel betrayed, as if I’d lied to her.

Why do gender issues have these complications? Why can’t the world accept me as I am, and forget about my past which has little relevance any more, and why am I so frightened that Livvie would take things the wrong way about Trish or me? She seemed to cope with the Gaby/Drew duality, so why not Trish and me? I suppose because, if she changes her mind about the fictional character, she can stop reading. If she changes her mind about Trish or me, she has major consequences to deal with. Oh boy–why couldn’t I have been a normal female, and Trish the same?

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
164 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Get over it Cathy

Your life is your life. You are legally and physically a woman, a mother, and if you'd get your act together, a wife. Your gender change is ancient news. I suppose someone will bring it out to hurt you again and again but your reaction in going fully public the first time stopped it then and can stop it again. Give Livvie some credit. She's been with you for a while now and children are very adaptable.

Children can be cruel...

Puddintane's picture

Adults too. There are those who will disapprove, and they will use their children as weapons to enforce their particular prejudices and hatreds. Depicting Cathy as being concerned is both perfectly reasonable and properly cautious.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Crunch Time

One way or another, Livvie is going to find out sooner or later.

It'd be best if the person she's adopted as Mommy was the one to break/explain it to her. Forewarned is forearmed, and all that. Livvie is a tough sort. If she's prepared with the truth, she'd be perfectly capable of dressing down anyone who raised the issue with her (read: taunted her.) She's also completely jaded by deceit. I think telling her the truth, asap, is a building/bonding undertaking that is well worth the while, and would be taken fairly well, considering how intelligent she is. OTOH, finding out from a third party, especially one being mean about it, without knowing the truth in advance, would be absolutely devastating, if for no other reason than knowing she wasn't trusted or fully accepted into the family.

have to agree

Livvie's been lied to too much. Make her a "full member" of the family and Cathy will be happier too.

but who replaced Simon

with a "Stepford" man? When did he become sensitive and helpful?

What If Livvie

Already knows about Trish, doesn't care? What if Meems knows abut Cathy? What if Des has a cousin?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Like sands...

Like sands through an hour glass, so are the Days Of Our Lives! ;)

Jenny

Cathy is quite right

to be worried, All it would take is one slip by Trish and the secret would be out! It would be far better then if Cathy was to take Livvie to one side and explain that while Trish is a girl that she does have a little problem that she needs to keep a secret, Livvie seems to be a bright girl and if it was explained why Trish needs to keep it a secret by her Mummmy would, I'm sure, Wan't to help.

Kirri

I would think that at

I would think that at Livvie's age, this would be an excellent time for Cathy to tell her about Trish and maybe even about herself. Children, at the age of Trish and Livvie, generally have not formed negative ideas or opinions because those are more learned than inborn. Livvie's comments about "Drew & Gabby" seem to already have her with an open mind.
J-Lynn

And maybe

Cathy could start the discussion by letting Livvie know that there really are boys and girls with different versions of Drew/Gaby's problems, and "wouldn't it be nice if all of their family and friends were as helpful as Drew/Gaby's friends? Either just in Worsop or there and Germany if the stories have gotten that far.

She's been exposed to the idea in fiction, so a discussion of the story, beyond just reading it should help, before revealing the deep dark secrets of both Trish and 'Mommy' ( After working it out with Trish, of course.)

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

I've got to agree

I've got to agree with you, J-Lynn; Livvie definitely seems open to the whole concept. She's also a very bright girl; and I have a feeling that it won't be long before she discovers Trish's plumbing problem. She definitely sees Trish as all girl; and I can't see that changing when she finally learns the truth.

It would definitely help her feel accepted as part of the family if Cathy were to confide in her. She's had adults lying to her most of her life, most notably her own parents. When she learns the truth about Trish (and, I would hope, Cathy as well), the manner in which she learns it will be the most important factor in determining how she reacts. If it is Cathy and Trish who tell her, she will feel she belongs to the family. If it were to come from a third party, it could destroy her belief that Cathy and Simon love and accept her as part of their family.

Jenny

Livvie

Would also be part of the family in protecting Trish. I suspect it would add to the bonding experience. Us vs the world.

Well done.

'Start the Week' is a much better programme than 'Mid-Week'. Cathy will no doubt wow them.

Geoff

We're in the money ! The checks are in the mail

Oh no! badgers can get TB also ? Well then "Badges? BADGES? We don't need no stinking badges"(Treasure of the Sierra Madres)sorry.
If you and Trish were born female, Angharad would have no story, or if she did, it wouldn't be here

Cefin