Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 736.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 736
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I phoned Marguerite that evening, and much to my delight she was in and actually remembered who I was. I hadn’t spoken to her for more than a year, so it was rather nice to talk again.

“I’m astonished that you remember me,” I said glowing.

“To be brutally honest, Cathy, I don’t have that many transsexual aristocrats to confuse you with.”

“I suppose not.”

“Sorry to disillusion you, but I’d rather be honest, though honesty in your mind would mean I was still selling deception and fairy tales, wouldn’t it?”

“Depends on your motives, in your case I’d give you the benefit of the doubt.”

“Where’s the fearless scientist I met last time? That answer was based on pure emotion, because you don’t want to upset me in case I refuse to marry you, or is that why you’re calling, you’ve already got someone else to do it?”

“No I’d still very much like you to do it, but that isn’t why I’m calling.”

=+=+=+=

The next morning I arrived at the vicarage with Trish and Livvie, they were introduced to Marguerite’s children and happily went off to play together in the garden. I had a change of clothing with us in the car if it became necessary. Marguerite and I wandered down to the church.

“What was it you wanted to discuss?” she asked me as we settled in the seats at the back of the church.

“Do you believe people can heal each other?” I asked her.

“Of course, doctors and nurses plus loads of other health professionals do it all the time.”

“No, I meant heal, not treat.”

“Sort of spiritual healing?”

“Yeah, but I’m not spiritual, am I?”

“You do talk yourself down, don’t you?” She paused and looked at me, “You have the gift, don’t you?”

“I think so, no, yes I do, but I think curse could be a better descriptor.”

“Oh, and why is that?”

“Well to start with, look at the guy you worship, didn’t do him a lot of good did it?”

“I take it you mean Jesus?”

“Yes.”

“He was cursed insofar as he was prophesied to die.”

“We’re all going to die, Marguerite.”

“Ah, but some will live again through the efforts of the Master.”

“Sorry, I don’t believe that.”

“That’s your prerogative.”

“Yes I know, and sometimes I feel a fraud asking you to marry me because of it.”

“At least you’re an honest agnostic, Cathy, many aren’t and so far we only have got as far as outline planning permission; I’m still waiting to meet Simon and get some more detail – such as a date and where you want to marry.”

“I’ll get back to you on that, Marguerite, but for the moment I’d like to talk about this healing business.”

“Okay, so who have you healed?”

“Several people, ranging from one of the girls you see with me, to my sister-in-law to be, premature child and two very sick people, plus one I couldn’t save.”

“Why do you think you healed them, was this a conscious thing?”

“Not at first, I healed two of the girls I look after, my foster children – I didn’t realise it was me, they just got better. Then when I went to see Stella’s baby, she had post-natal depression, big time; others said she perked up when I went to see her, which I thought was just her feeling better for someone loving her.”

“Which I’m sure is also true,” Marguerite said, nodding to emphasise the point.

“Yeah, well that’s what I thought until one day I had Trish with me, and she saw a blue light moving from me to the baby.”

“Okay, so is she an imaginative child?”

“Yes, but she’s also extremely honest, so if she said she saw it, she saw it.”

“I see, continue.”

“Well the baby got better, then others seemed to get better if I was near and a doctor asked me to try on a child who was going to die.”

“His medicine wasn’t good enough, so he called on our agnostic saint?”

“He’d done all he could and it still wasn’t working. I owed him dozens of favours, so I agreed to help. Instead of dying, the child went home a day or two later, apparently well.”

“You mentioned one who didn’t.”

“Yes, I knew what was wrong with him before the doctors told me, and I thought I’d done what was required; sadly it wasn’t and he died. It was quite a shock.”

“Yes, maybe it happened to stop you becoming arrogant or even complacent about your gift.”

“I hadn’t thought of it like that, but why not punish me, not some poor kid who wasn’t involved except as a victim.”

“It might have been his time to go.”

“You don’t honestly believe all that sort of stuff, do you?”

“Stranger things have happened.”

I gave her an old-fashioned look, that was a cop-out if ever there was one. “Since then, I’ve given it my all when I try to heal.”

“Why was that, there’s something you’re not telling me?”

“Okay, one of my foster kids, the youngest one, Mima, drowned and was pronounced dead at the scene by the paramedics. I refused to accept it and just blasted her with energy and love, and did CPR. She revived.”

“I’m really glad, so you raise the dead as well?”

“No, I don’t think so, I believe that small children can survive for periods without oxygen, they go into a sort of torpor from which they can be resuscitated.”

“You don’t think the paramedics could know more about this than you?”

“Usually yes, but not that day. I knew I had to save her.”

“And you pushed love and healing into her?”

“Yes.”

“There’s your answer, love is a wonderful power, it can do many wonderful things, including save lives.”

“Okay, so that might be the answer there, what about the others? I didn’t love them.”

“Didn’t you? Didn’t Jesus tell us to love one another as ourselves?”

“Probably, but it seems wasted on Christians.”

“Nothing is wasted which comes from God.”

“I think I might disagree with that statement.”

“Your prerogative.”

I explained my theory of healing which she accepted as a possible explanation of the method, not the reason. “What do you mean, reason?”

“So you whack electromagnetic energy into a sick body through some sort of energy gradient, and they get better? That’s the how, what’s the why?”

“I dunno, because it’s what I want to happen?”

“Ah, so it’s all an ego trip is it?”

“No, that isn’t what I mean. If I have control of the power, then don’t I decide on who to use it?”

“Cathy, I hate to say it but you’re beginning to sound god-like, and I don’t like it very much.”

“I didn’t mean it to come out like that. I’m sorry.”

“That’s okay, I didn’t for a moment think you’d meant it that way. Look if this mysterious power is so good, would you give me a demonstration of it.”

“What do you mean?”

“I have someone who is much in need of it and even if it doesn’t restore her to health, if it works at all, could help to ease her passing.”

“I don’t know, I mean…”

“Come and meet her and see what you think, if you don’t want to do it, that’s fine.” She took my hand and led me out of the church and towards the village. “I was promised a miracle, maybe you’re it.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hoo-boy!!

Our friendly vicar doesn't do half-measures, does she? This conversation was beginning to sound more like a debate than a discussion, until Marguerite came up with her little test. I'll have to get home early tomorrow to see what happens as soon as possible.

Oh, and somebody awhile back said Cathy would not visit Marguerite again. I'm much like Cathy, a few of her explainations are just too glib and pat-sounding. But then again, who knows? Not me!

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Nice chat

I was wondering if Cathy would get around to speaking to Marguerite, and if so, what she'd make of the healing business.

But talk about a progressive priest! Why can't more be liberal free thinkers, instead of blindly following "the party line" (especially true with the Catholic church, whose hierarchy seem hell bent [if you'll pardon the pun] on taking it back 50-100 years or so...I've even heard they've started dishing out Indulgences for attendance at pilgramages...)

It always seems ironic to me that the faith's founder spent most of his ministry living among, associating with, and making friends of society's outcasts (in those days prostitutes, adulterers, lepers, samaritans and the lowest of the low - tax collectors!)...yet most of the influential subsequent leaders of the faith have done the exact opposite - marginalising and excluding society's outcasts. The phrase "lost in translation" seems particularly apt. As does "One size does NOT fit all" - while the faith is growing followers in places such as Africa and South America, where the basic fundamentalist message wins hearts and minds, the same strategy is also being used in Europe where they are haemorraging followers...presumably because over here we're more sceptical of their claims and find their messages increasingly incompatible with modern society.

(For the record, I'm officially a Catholic [via the RCIA route], but rarely attend church and would probably disagree with the bulk of the catechism...if I could be bothered to read it! I also have problems with most of the accepted doctrines/dogmas - including immaculate conception, virgin birth, divinity of Jesus, transsubstantiation, and I suppose even divine intervention. Good job they don't excommunicate or torture/kill people any more...I'd probably be in the queue!)

--Ben

This space intentionally left blank.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Is humanity really that arrogant?

That we won't accept the existence of forces which we can't or won't understand? Readers of this site would surely be among the first to question rigid beliefs.

Whatever God or none in which you believe, there are surely events and situations, on this earth and elsewhere in the universe, that defy explanation by our limited mental capacity. I happen to believe in a God, but I suspect that most of the mainstream churches would not recognise that God. And just how, with our limited vocabulary, do you describe a deity that is beyond comprehension?

Cathy's skepticism is understandable and Marguarite's responses speak to me of a refreshingly open mind.

Very well written, Angharad; I, as usual, eagerly look forward to developments.

Susie

Arrogance?

Who's the most arrogant? Those who believe that humanity has some special relationship with a being for which there isn't a scrap of objective evidence but who cares deeply for each individual? Or those who see humans as just another evolved life form with different characteristics from other evolved life forms but no more than that.

My personal experience indicates the latter rather than the former. Beguiling though the idea of 'eternal' life may be for some I can't say it holds any attraction for me. Sounds terminally boring without the option of a termination.

Just because I see no need for a 'god' in the religious meaning of the word doesn't mean I don't think we know everything. Of course we don't but if there isn't the possibility of learning more then there is no point - not that there's need for there to be a point.

If there is anything you might want to call a god it's far more likely to be a disinterested one who's initiated a set of conditions, pushed the 'start' button and settled back to see what happens.

Don't forget, Angharad's fictional character, Cathy, is just that - fictional but undoubtedly interesting. Her gift is no more valid the Medallion of Zulo and as interesting. btw I quite like Medallion of Zulo stories too :)

Geoff

The Tlot Phickens...

... or something like that.

This Marguerite has a way of getting Cathy to think about what she's saying... And realizing that what she's saying doesn't sound as good as she thought it did... I've seen this in more than one pastor over the years (certainly NOT an universal skill by any means). I've also seen it used by both of my shrinks (on me). Good Counsellors (which I take Marguerite to be) seem to do this quite often.

Now, what may be comming next - sounds ominous... I'd be very surprised if someone Marguerite feels diserving of help was someone Cathy wouldn't be willing to at least try to help.

Thanks,
Annette

Oh my, now she's going to

Oh my, now she's going to have the press after her in Bristol, too! Or not, but it's something she should be thinking about. Lovely as always Angharad! :)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I like a religious person

who's willing to have a discussion instead of throwing words from the scripture at you and the same old statements. and of course threaten you with eternal punishment if you don't give in. Cathy found a gem.

Faith, God and Dogma

Marguerite seems to be straddling the line between dogma and her own experiences which are pushing her to look beyond church dogma. Cathy is having a crisis of agnosticism; she is finding that her healing is beyond her scientific understanding of what is possible. Perhaps Cathy will find a way to accept a concept of God outside of conventional norms and Marguerite will learn to accept that there is more to God than what her church teaches.

Ahh Religion!

Very interesting installment. God and religion are issues I've wrestled with daily for over 50 yrs. God exists to help people and religion exists to control people. I believe in God not Religion.

Powers such as exhibited by Cathy are available to all people in varying degrees. It is the spirit in which this power is used that makes it good or bad. When the gift become the goal or object of desire then is compromised. Only when it is viewed as a tool for helping others, as Cathy views and uses it, does it transcend the mundane. She does not use the gift for self agrandizement. She seeks anonymity. She is being herself and not letting the gift define her.

A very interesting and though provokng chapter. Thanks for Sharing. Lookng forward to the next installment.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

What of the children?

Does not seem strange that Cathy walked off without Trish and Livvie? They were last left playing in the garden. Will they notice Mom has left? Will Cathy suddenly realize she has "once again" healed someone while causing "negative effect" on her children?

Perhaps her "gift" is demonic and intent on destroying what is valuable to Cathy. After all, the devil is not against a little good if greater evil is wrought.

But does it have to be

... a Christian priest she goes to ? What is wrong with other groups such as Buddhists, Muslims, Univeralists ... Druids ... Zeus - The list goes on and on ?

I surmise she was probably C of E at some time but it can be enlightening to go to other spiritual frameworks who treats spiritual healing in a less doubting manner.

I just hope Marguerite does not get her claws into her and wanting her to do more healings. Cathy DOES tire from doing it and it is not good for her.

Kim

Marguerite Is The Type Of Vicar

That actually helps you without preaching a bunch of church dogma. Best of all, she is honest. That's why Cathy trusts her.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Doubting Thomas.

So; this Maguarite is a doubting Thomas then despite being an ordained priest., He, Thomas, wanted to see the stigmata and Marguarita wants to see a miracle. It's been ever thus.
I don't remember much about bibles but I can remember something about 'Yee of little faith'.
Still, who am I to criticise, I have no faith and haven't had any since I was a child.

Still it's lovely storey and gives me huge pleasure to read it.

Keep writng,

Beverly Taff.

Even priests

have doubts occasionally, they are human after all. She now has a chance to see faith in action, and help two people besides.

Hoo, dosen't that send shivers down your spine ?

Male Vicars would still be beating around the bush, not wanting to offend. Women dive right in.
In the wild, if a wolf threatens a pack of horses, the #1 stallion goes after him, and when the wolf runs away, the stallion rears and snorts, showing who's boss. If there's no stallion present, the lead mare attacks the wolf, tramping him to death, then quietly returns to the herd. Sound familiar ?
While you're there, make a tentative date.

Cefin