Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 565.

Printer-friendly version
       
Wuthering Ice creams
(aka Bike)
Part 565
by Angharad
       
Snowflake_300h.jpg

I looked at the photo again; it showed part of my arm and hand as I held some of the tubes and wires clear, Puddin’s finger was touching mine and there was a light blue fog around us. It seemed stronger on my hand almost as if it was flowing from me towards the baby.

It had to be some sort of anomaly, light affecting something, or reflecting off something. I tried to remember if there was any source of blue light near the incubator. I couldn’t think of any, but that doesn’t mean there wasn’t. I was there to see the baby not the unit.

I shook my head, it’s so easy to see supernatural or extraordinary explanations for mundane things. We see flying saucers instead of weather balloons, ghosts instead of technical errors in photos. I would take my small digital camera with me next time and see what happened then. It was probably something ordinary that would explain the outcome.

I mean the other week they were referring to a wind turbine that had been hit by a UFO, because that was the only explanation for all the damage–until some engineers looked at it, and something had sheared off and smashed into the other blades, damaging all of them. It didn’t stop the tabloids asking stupid questions, but then I’d be more surprised if they asked sensible ones.

Tom came to see what I was doing, he saw the photo and snorted. “What’s the blue stuff?”

“I dunno, some sort of reflection I suppose.”

He shrugged at my answer and felt both of my shoulder blades.

“What are you doing?” I asked him.

“Just checking to see if you’re growing wings.” I was about to get angry with him when I saw the twinkle in his eyes; obviously, the master of the wind up, was feeling better.

“Any more jokes like that, and you get no tea.” His response was to stick his tongue out, he then walked to see his grandchildren, who had just noticed he was there.

I cooked a light meal, Simon had come home but spent two hours on the phone or his laptop. I always thought a dongle was something a bit rude, apparently not, it’s the mobile link thing on his computer. It isn’t terribly secure, so he was limited as in what he could actually do.

By the time we’d finished eating, Henry’s washing was dry so I folded it and shoved in a bag. Simon had had enough of hospitals, so he offered to baby sit if I wanted to go and see Stella. He asked if I would pop over and see Henry as well. As if I wouldn’t?

The girls were delighted that Tom and Simon were there to be twisted around little fingers, although Trish did wonder if she’d missed a chance to see the baby. She had, but I didn’t remind her of it.

I decided I would cycle to the hospital. I checked my lights, the batteries in the rear one needed changing but the front light was fine. I only had to take a small bag of clothing, so I shoved a small rucksack on my back, complete with a few things I might need, hankies, phone, lipstick–usual cycling stuff. So after changing, I went off on the Specialized to the hospital.

I had some spare batteries with me, which was just as well, because half way there my front light went. I swapped batteries and resumed my journey. I passed a small general stores and bought some more batteries, just in case.

I was quite warm and glowing when I clomped into the orthopaedic ward. I gave Henry his clean clothes, and as he had no dirties, I’d be able to take any that Stella had. I spent about twenty minutes with him, most of which we chatted about bikes.

“I do like a girl who can talk about something other than housework and babies.”

“We can talk about those next time,” I said before I pecked him on the cheek and went to see Stella. She was expressing milk and not enjoying the exercise. I felt very inadequate.

“You could do this if you took the right hormones, you know.”

“So you keep telling me.”

“Well why aren’t you? It’s not every woman who’d be happy for you to breast feed their brats.”

“No, I’m well aware of how generous an offer it is, Stella, but I think you should enjoy this yourself; after all, little Dezzie, is going to need all those antibodies to help her build herself up.” I didn’t tell her of the story of the woman whose baby died because she contracted herpes simplex, or cold sore virus from breast milk.

“There, that’s finished.” She put down the small bottle of milk. I didn’t think it was enough but then what do I know? I supposed it would improve with practice.

“If you ask them nicely, maybe they’ll let you feed her,” she added screwing on the top of the bottle.

“I don’t like to be a nuisance.”

Stella called for a nurse, who appeared a few moments later. “Can my sister in law feed Desdemona?”

“I don’t know, Stella, I’ll give them a buzz for you.” I felt so embarrassed, but envious, I’d jump at the chance. We chatted on and the nurse came back. “Yeah, she can if she goes straight up.”

“Off ya go then, don’t forget her din-dins.” So I did.

“Have you fed a prem baby before?”

I indicated I hadn’t, so she showed me what to do. She was still in the incubator, and could suck a bit. Most of her feed was going in by a line to her stomach, but she was encouraged to take some orally. I asked the midwife to take a piccie of me doing it, so she obliged and took several.

I glanced around, I couldn’t see anything that reflected blue. Probably a technical fault, camera phones are pretty basic, but the Canon the nurse was using, although compact, was a good camera.

I spent about fifteen minutes with Puddin’ before they kicked me out. I took the camera back to show Stella the pictures. They were a bit small and you couldn’t see too much of anything, but the blue light, if it was there, was very faint.

I rode home and the light on the front seemed to be much improved, shining brighter than I remembered it before. Must be better batteries. I put the bike away in the garage and took the lights off it. The front light seemed much lighter in weight. I examined it, there were no batteries in it. “What the hell is going on?” I said out loud, and switched it on, nothing happened. I took it and the new batteries indoors with me and asked Tom to check it. He couldn’t find anything wrong with it, except it had no batteries.

I showed him the old dead ones. He put them in and it worked perfectly. This was getting stupid. Where were the new ones? I’d opened them and used four of them. I couldn’t find them. I was sure I’d stopped at the shop and bought them, Duracell ones. I remembered the black and gold colours as I changed them.

“Maybe you dropped them?” suggested Simon interrupting our conversation.

“I’m going mad, here, Si, load these on to your computer, will you.” I handed him my camera. “I must have bought some.”

“Did you get a receipt?”

“No but I know how much money I had with me, because I took my little purse.”

“How much did you take?”

“I had thirty pounds, two tens, a fiver and the rest in change. The batteries cost me four quid.” I picked out the purse from my ruckie, and handed it to Tom. He tipped it out onto the table. There was thirty pounds in it.

I shook my head, how could I explain what I was sure I had just done? I didn’t mention the light working without any batteries at all. I must be going barmy. “I don’t get it at all, I was served by a young woman. I bought the batteries. I know I did.”

“It’s okay, it doesn’t matter one way or the other.”

“It’s not you who’s going crazy,” I said angrily.

“Cathy, you are overwrought, it’s easy to make mistakes.”

“Is there something wrong with your camera?”

“Why?” I asked.

“These photos, they are quite good except for the blue light reflecting from somewhere, was there an ambulance parked outside with it’s lights flashing?”

“Coulda been, I suppose, I didn’t notice it if it was.” Had Simon found the answer? Probably: it was mundane after all and I must have dreamt about the batteries.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
147 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Ha

That's what the blue light must be—the blue light on the transport to the funny farm.

I'm worried about Cathy.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Song Reference

For anyone who doesn't know the song referenced in Gabi's title, there's quite a story behind it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They're_Coming_to_Take_Me_Away_Ha-Haaa!

Is easily one of the quirkiest songs of that era, and great fun to sing along with!

Dementia

When the Doc D had his heart attack scare, all the big Filk and Funny Music artists got together and had a hootenanny -- and renamed a joint genre of the two, Dementia! after the genre's greatest champion. When Doc got better, he figured it was time to name a successor, to make sure that Dementia would reach out to generations to come!

The Great Luke Ski has been named as the Doc's handpicked successor, and now hosts the Dementia Revolution, which will take up the slack if/when Doc ever calls it quits for good.

There's also the FuMP -- that is, the Funny Music Project found at ] The FuMP Website [ with free Dementia downloads for guest users, and access to the LARGE Dementia library for paid users for a VERY low membership fee!

Are you ready for the Dementia Revolution?!?

Oh My Angharad, ;)

You sure are winding Cathy up here. What's next, she speaks to her mum and dad?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The Evidence Is Mounting

jengrl's picture

Cathy' had the blue light turn up in two sets of pics and now the bike light works without batteries. The evidence is mounting that Cathy is endowed with healing power. Puddin and Stella are getting better all the time. I just hope that someone doesn't try to make Tom's house into a shrine where pilgrims flock after hearing about Cathy's abilities. I guess the cat is out of the bag already after what she has already done. If she succeeds in completely healing the baby and her mother, someone at the hospital will put two and two together and Cathy will be up for sainthood.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

afraid of the buildup

Who knows what Angharad or her familiar have planned for this series. Guess I always get worried when things seem to be going well.

Heeler

She'll "heel" the next person, then Kiki will have a companion no doubt. Sounds like something Bonzi would write. ;-)

KJT

"All lies in jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest"

The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Unless Ang has Sekmet working a second job

What with SNAFU all snafued for the moment at Sapphire's, perhaps the Egyptian goddess of destruction and healing is working a few *side jobs*?

Just stress and Cathy getting confused or is the supernatural working it's mojo here? If and when Cathy starts menstrating and gets pregnant, I'm betting on a mundane reason, IE electronic interference casuing the blue tint and exhaustion/fatige the confusion about the batteries but ...

Did Bonzi like the bedroon pics of my cats, Rusty and Cally, Ang? They are only wearing their collars and nothing else.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

HEELing huh...

How many inches? 2 inches? 4 inches? Perhcance even 5 inches? :-)

Cathy's well heeled herself. Quite a nice collection, if we pay attention to her shopping trips. :-)

Annette
(sorry for being so punishing.)

Ooooo! Spooky!!

I'm not a believer in the occult but I can willingly suspend my disbelief for the purposes of a good read, so I'm looking forward to further developments.

Yes, Ang, I'm still catching up in spurts while, in the meantime, reading elsewhere. But I always come back to you.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Way To Go, Angharad

Now you're in for it. Once you get into the unexplainable it's hard to get out.

marie c.

marie c.

No its not!

It's the dormice! ;-)

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

The Answer Is 42

And the Earth belongs to the dormice. And never mind that the question is wrong. (Just blame Douglas Adams.)

Finally, Somebody

Is paying attention! Give the lady a gold star on her Good Bee card! ;-)

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Think Cathy is

... gonna Zone out on us :).

You're traveling through another bike trail -- a bike trail not only of sight and sound but of dormice. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of Bonzi. That's a litter box up ahead: your next stop: the 'Cathy's Gonna Pee In Her Knickers' Zone.

Sorry best I could do on short notice otherwise I can get sued :). Besides, I have never managed to get that darn Muse to hang around me long enough for anything but puns !

Kim

Product Placement...

We all know Angharad's popular. Is it possible that Canon paid for "Product Placement" in this episode? I know they make good cameras (& have for a goodly long time). I mean, I have a nice Canon myself. :-)

The blue light IS interesting. :-) The functioning headlamp, without batteries and cathy apparently imagining things, is disturbing, to say the least.

Thanks,
Annette

For myself

NoraAdrienne's picture

I'd prefer a Nikon as I used to be a salesperson for them back in the early 80's. The new crop of digital ones are out of this world. Oh, if anyone here is in the NY area... My son was in the Daily News the other day.. He's a trainer for the Office of Emergency Management and designed a training program for EMS and Fire fighters that is right out of Star Treks Hologram room.

Nice Twist

Maybe Cathy's about to go to the hospital, as they come to take her away. HaHa HoHo HeHe

Whoooooooooooooooo!

First the blue healing aura. Now lights that work with no batteries, dead batteries that are fully charged.
Not Alfred Hitchcock, rather Rod Serling (Twilight Zone), or John Carpenter(Halloween, The Fog)
Cathy give us a hug! Tom Agnew, you'll live forever. He was stone dead, Cathy does CPR, Presto, up and walking in two days. Hey, how old is Spike anyway ?
She's better then National Health !

Cefin