Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 711.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 711
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“But you can’t just spend hours at this kid’s bedside, no matter how sorry you feel for him.”

“Simon, I’m an independently mobile, autonomous unit otherwise known as a woman, I can do whatever I want.”

“What about your own children?”

“My own children aren’t suffering as a consequence.”

“What if I forbid it?”

“What if you what?” I’d heard him perfectly, I just couldn’t believe he’d have the gall to say it, and certainly not again.

“I’m not happy with it.”

“I’m hardly ecstatic, but I have a feeling that I can save this kid.”

“And if you do? What then? You’ll have the rest of the unfortunates of this world beating a path to your door. Do think carefully about this, Cathy.”

“I told the parents that if they breathe a word he’ll die.”

“Cathy, don’t be so stupid, how could you threaten them like that?”

“I’ll send you round to kill him.”

“Do your own dirty work. Besides, if you give healing, isn’t it a gift? You can hardly give conditions or try to take it back.”

“I suppose you’re right. I’ll just tell them that I have given them an enormous gift. If they blab, then they will have treated me very badly and it will guarantee that I never share it again.”

“You said that before.”

“I mean it this time.”

“I get very worried about you, girl.”

“I love it when you’re concerned.” I said sucking up to him. It was pure badness, taking the piss and turning the tables on him–the number of times he’s said to me, ’You’re lovely when you’re angry’, this was payback.

“Why?”

“Because you become all kind and affectionate.”

His whole posture changed, “I can be affectionate any time, you know me.” He sounded like the cat who’d got the cream.

“Yes I do know you, Simon,” I kissed him on the cheek and turned over, “and if you dare to patronise me again, you’ll live to regret it, even if it won’t be for long. Night.”

“Cathy, the great healer and teaser. No wonder women get themselves attacked, winding up men to expect something and then not delivering.” I suspect he muttered to himself for several minutes, I was shattered and had loads to do the next day. Thankfully I slept quite quickly.

He’d gone when I awoke the next morning. I suppose I’d annoyed him twice now. Oh well, he’d get over it. I went to the loo and stuck to the mirror was a note.

’Just in case you think I was off in a huff, I’m not. You’re a cruel c*ck teaser and I ought to smack your arse. Take care of yourself, don’t give all your energy away. Despite all my shortcomings, I still love you. S xxx’

Aww, he does try; time to get the girls up. They were hard work this morning, I don’t know if they were sleepy or what but they took twice as long as they needed to, to do everything. By the time they were dressed and breakfasted, I was seething. It seemed as if they were intent on making me late.

Tom took the two older girls with him, they were going to clean out some of the dormouse cages under the supervision of the technicians. Usually this meant they’d just get in the way, but as the university was free of students in the general sense, there was time to allow them to get in the way, and who knows, maybe one of them will be the next big thing in biology.

Sitting at the bedside, I heard from the parents that Charlie had opened his eyes for a few moments, smiled at them, then lapsed back into his sleep. They left me to sit with him, and I started my healing.

When they found me, I was apparently collapsed over him, still holding on to his hand. Sam Rose sent me home by taxi and told me to rest. I was shattered and went to bed. Meems came up for a cuddle with me but I don’t remember much until I was wakened by Stella at lunchtime.

“Cathy, wakey wakey, Tom has suggested we meet him for lunch, usual place.”

“What time is it?”

“Nearly mid day, oh Sam Rose phoned, he said the boy had come round and was talking to his parents. He is amazed and very grateful for your help, but he told me to tell you, that you are not to return until you feel fit again. What happened?”

“I don’t know, I got the energy flowing then suddenly, I seemed to bonk, you know like they do in bike racing, just ran out of energy and next thing I know, Sam is waking me up.”

“Did you sleep?”

“I don’t know, if I did, it didn’t do me any good, I felt so tired.”

“Perhaps he just sucked too much energy out of you? Very sick people do that to nursing staff, like vampires sucking out their life force.”

“Actually, that was what it felt like. Damn, I need to go and get the car from the hospital.”

“Sam got one of the porters to bring it back for you. It’s outside.”

“I must thank him. He’s such a nice man.”

“Yeah I know, but his niceness nearly did for you.”

“What do you mean?”

“If he hadn’t found you, I reckon that boy would have sucked all your life force.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, Stella. It’s a child, how could a child be stronger than a full grown woman?”

“Where did he have the cancer?”

“I didn’t ask, I didn’t want to know, but I have a feeling it was a brain tumour.”

“A healthy brain consumes loads of energy, so a sick one–the sky’s the limit.”

“So how come when I’m thinking lots, I don’t lose weight?”

"I suspect it’s because you only think you’re thinking, in real life, you’re not.”

“I’ll have to think about it.” She left me more to get dressed than to think about things. I hoped the boy, Charlie, was now on the mend, but I doubted it. I got myself dressed casually and then checked Meems while Stella dressed Puddin’.

Tom met us at the restaurant. I had a tuna jacket with salad and the girls had the children’s menu–fish fingers and chips and peas. It looked horrible, but they seemed to enjoy it.

“Why can’t we have peas like this, Mummy?” Trish was pointing at peas which were such a bright emerald green, it hurt to look at them.

“I prefer fresh vegetables, Trish, those are processed or frozen, and dyed to hell and back."

“I don’t care, I like them.”

“So do I, Mummy,” said Livvie, so Meems was bound to agree. She did.

“Okay, I’ll get you a tin of peas for tomorrow, you can have them with your cornflakes.”

“Ugh! I don’t want them for breakfast,” Trish scorned me.

“You said you wanted them, what’s wrong with having them for breakfast?”

“You don’t eat them for breakfast.”

“Why not?”

“You just don’t. Would you eat them for breakfast, Mummy?”

“I wouldn’t eat them for lunch or supper either.”

“They are nice, but not for brekkies.”

“That’s my best offer.” I was bluffing but they hadn’t worked that out yet.

“Okay, I won’t bother then.”

“You can have peas when they’re fresh and you can help me shell them.”

“Okay, Mummy.” Dissention over.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

Remember people died so you could vote - exercise your franchise now - or we send Da Bonz round! >^^<

up
177 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm just visualising ...

... Cathy dressed casually in a tuna jacket. It's a very entertaining visualisation ;)

As a dedicated materialist, I'm not too keen on the magic healing story thread but, heck, it is fiction ... isn't it?

thanks

Geoff

Give Peas A Chance

Actually, if you can find them minimally processed (i.e. blanched, no additives), frozen, they're not so bad. Those are the ones that come more or less loose in the polyethylene bags, not the paper-wrapped bricks. The tinned ones are horrid. They add way too much salt for my taste, and the tin flavor doesn't help that much. In the U.S., the distribution chains are so long, that by the time most "fresh" peas get to market, most of the sugar in them has turned to starch, leaving the frozen ones a somewhat better choice, unless you've got your own garden. Nothing beats that!

Visualize Whirled Peas

The flash-frozen (showered with liquid nitrogen) veggies are by far the best -- next to fresh, of course. I like them steamed or nuked with just a bit of salt and maybe some butter,

But my favorite way to eat peas is to go out in the garden and graze. I have found that sweet corn is pretty good that way, too.

We planted a garden this year, but the neighbor's bunnies keep eating it. Maybe we can get one of those bunny vacuums and suck them up.

Actually, we have been live trapping them and caging them. We're tempted to make bunny nuggets.

We're not all that upset this time because it's been a cold year, anyhow. Nobody's garden is growing much. What happened to all this global warming they have been promising us, anyhow? Come on, everyone; climb into your SUVs and start your engines! It would be nice to at least get the temps up to what our ancestors enjoyed during the middle ages. We're still recovering from the mini ice age.

Ray

Turn the bunnies loose!

Seriuously, one of my most horrible memories from childhood is slaughtering rabbits! They make the worst noise you ever heard while you're cutting their throats!. I love the way they taste, but the bunny death scream is like, totally off-putting.

Battery.jpg

So i guess

theres not much chance of getting the girls to eat really healthy veg like Cabbage or Brussel Sprouts is there? Kids !! they just don't know whats good for them!!!

On a more serious level, The way Cathy reacted when she tried to heal Charlie is more than a little worrying... Its one thing trying to help heal a very poorly child but quite another when you start to endanger your own health...Cathy needs to start listening to Simon now... For once he's right!!!

Kirri

Bad mistake!

One of our friends, a dedicated Vegan, convinced her daughter, aged 4, that Brussel Sprouts were good tasting.

It is not a good way to find out that your child gets horrble gas from them.

BTW: I love them. Roasted with just salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- - - - -
Bear

TGNear-Avatar_0.png

Bear

The Swiss Way…

…with Brussels Sprouts is delicious; they serve them with chestnuts. Par-boil small sprouts with the raw, peeled chestnuts, then finish them off together with butter in a sauté pan. So good for your cholesterol, but sooooo delicious. I learned it from a Swiss chef, and always them like that on Christmas day and at other times when sprouts are in season.

Gabi.

“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Fresh Brussel Sprouts sauted

with onions, butter or olive oil and garlic are one of the best vegetables.

I like em raw, myself.

Raw Brussels Sprouts, raw cabbage, pretty much any veggie raw, except for like parsnips and eggplant. Yuck!!

Battery.jpg

SSimon Is Right

To be concerned when Cathy bonks out like that. And she could have burnt ot a safety circuit so she can't easily turn off the light.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hope Cathy is helping the kid

Trying to remember, did she end up exhausted over Simon's liver problem? I think so. Nice exchange with the kids over canned peas.

"Remember people died so you could vote - exercise your franchise now - or we send Da Bonz round! >^^<"

Do the votes do anything more than tell the author we love them? I'll say it "out loud" and vote, "Angharad, thanks for the wonderful story!"

OK, I Voted!

But don't think I respond to threats. There's no way you're getting a comment, Bonzo! (Oh!) Well, not an intelligent one, anyway!

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Cathy definitely needs to

Cathy definitely needs to take a break from this healing gig, it's draining her dry! Not to mention the potential problems, Simon's right on there. And mushy peas, yuck! ;)

Keep up the great work Angharad!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Mushy Peas…

…are regarded in certain northern regions of England as—and I use the word advisedly and not wishing to upset my northern friends—a delicacy, particularly when accompanying a hot pork pie; it is known as pie'n'peas. Personally they remind me of various occasions which are remembered only with horror and embarrassment. Mushy peas make you fart like fury, to put it mildly.

On BBC radio last week they were discussing regional delicacies and mushy peas came up; a listener from Newcastle-on-Tyne had emailed in about "Newcastle guacamole" which consisted of puréed mushy peas mixed with chilli powder as a guacamole substitute. Yukk and double-yukk.

Gabi

“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Huh!

That's all, just huh! :)

I can smell the peas now. It's a long ago memory from visits to Nottingham Goose Fair when we were courting ... and that's longer ago than I wish it was. Fog thick enough to make you careful not to walk into lamp standards and half obscured light and sounds from from hundreds of fairground attractions all mingled with the heavenly smell of mushy peas. Not that we ever actually bought any ... perish the thought!

Geoff

Further Explanation

Mushy peas. Being married to someone from Northern England who has mentioned the stuff a few times, and occasionally in a nostalgic context, I made it my business to try to find out what they were.

They start off life as mature (as in turned more or less to solid starch before they're harvested), whole, dried peas, which are then soaked, semi-reconstituted and then cooked until soft enough to eat. Now, this taking literally hours and hours if you wanted to do it yourself, the nice people at the various canneries will happily sell you a pre-made can of the stuff, which you can just open and heat. As for why you would want to do this, now that there are much sweeter, less abused forms of peas available, I expect it's more of a cultural heritage, family memory thing. Every ethnic group seems to have at least one thing they eat simply because it reminds them of family, not because it tastes particularly better than anything else.

Of course, it could be argued that mushy peas aren't a substitute for anything else. Like other mature pulses, they're a good source of plant protein. In my own culinary background, split pea soup filled that particular dietary niche, albeit usually with a tasty hunk of meat providing much of the flavor.

May be a blessing in disguise

If she loses access to the blue light, there will be no longer any reason for people to call on her.

Kim

I don't like Cathy !

Angharad, I think your writing talent is just wonderful.

The story line is making me feel really crazy. I just love Simon but for me Cathy is a severe head trip. She's egocentric, strong willed, stuborn, and self centered. She has half of England rooting for her, but is really short changing Simon and the Children. As far as I am concerned they are her first priority and what is she going to feel like if anything happens to any of them. When confronted she uses the most hideous and unattractive emotional blackmail on her opponent.

Please take this girl to task and bring her into some sort of minimal maturity.

Many Blessings

Khadija

Forgiveness and Understanding

Cathy is the way she is largely because of how she has been treated. Do any of us wonder that she doesn't believe in herself? Do any of us wonder that she is easy to hurt -- that it doesn't take much to hook into all that past pain?

Of all the people in the world, the members of this community should understand the soul-crippling things that have happened to her. Does she find it hard to trust and believe? Many of us here can relate.

If we want people to treat us with compassion and respect, we must be able to do the same. We need to be able to look at the personal growth that people have achieved, rather than looking at their weaknesses.

No, I'm not writing this just to defend a fictional character. I have noticed that there are times when people are quite rigid and unforgiving. We each have to recognize that in ourselves if we want the world at large to be less rigid and unforgiving.

We each, as individuals, need to avoid having a judgmental attitude, lest we be branded as hypocrites.

Ray Drouillard

Can we talk about this?

Yes, she is a fictional character, but I am entitled to my "fictional" dislike, aren't I?

I suffered at the hands of my step father for over a decade; being beaten most nights of the week for being too sissy. Still, in my very humble opinion, I turned out to be a very nice, giving and charitable woman.

Now, I must admit that I struggle against bitterness and it appears as if I will until I die. I know that it is immature and loathsome, and try not to be that way. We all do the best that we can with it.

M'salama

Khadija

Bitterness

Struggling against bitterness is only natural. You have plenty of reason to be bitter, so the fact that you have become the person that you are is much to your credit. God's commandment that we forgive each other is more for our own sake than for the the sake of those who have offended us. (I think it's the same for all people 'of the book.')

What surprised me about your comment is the fact that you and Cathy share a lot of past history. She, too, was beaten by her father.

Yes, you are entitled to your fictional dislikes, and even your bitterness. Still, if you ignore the factors that make her someone that you dislike, how can you expect people to understand how your past hurts have shaped you?

By the way, my comment was not really focused upon you. It was a more general comment that I have been thinking of writing for quite some time.

To reiterate what I have said above, I believe that you have done well in taking the lousy cards that were dealt to you and making something good of it. I can't imagine what it must have been like to be betrayed by both your blood family and your church family. Such things have been known to make people hateful -- or to drive them to vengeance or suicide.

I'm sorry that my comment caused you pain. I knew that that was likely, but I gave it in the spirit of 'There is safety in a multitude of counselors.'

None of us are perfect, and we all have blind spots. If someone shines a light upon one of those blind spots, it hurts -- like most healing processes.

Ray Drouillard

In this life....

... one thing counts. In the bank, large amounts. I'm afraid these don't grow on tree, ... :-)

I do enjoy Oliver. Fagen's such a character. And Dodger...

I'm finally caught back up - as you can tell from the above quote. A leftover. :-) Cathy NEEDS to learn her limits. That's twice she's all but burnt out... *sighs* I can understand where she comes from. I just hope Sam gets the "hint" that he might well "kill" this angel. It's interesting that Cathy seems to have "accepted" that she really CAN help. And, is starting to "focus" and visualize things in a productive way - rather than going on "blind instinct" and "letting" it happen. Too bad she doesn't know how to use a "battery" to supplement her energy. LOL (I can see her carrying a long extension cord... And sucking the power grid dry! LOL

Thanks for the story.

Annette

In a way

I'm glad to see the blue light draining Cathy, it puts more value on her gift. It may even get a certain doctor to put more respect on its use. There is only so much of her to spread around, don't waste the nice lady.

Multiple Personality Syndrome

Rhona McCloud's picture

I 've noticed that the more saintly Cathy behaves in one context the more manipulative she is in others and the more aggressive Da Bonz becomes - need I say more…

Rhona McCloud

See, Bonz already has you argueing.

3900 reads, only 44 thumbs up, WT*, Bonz I'll have the ferret squad track them down over here, You take care of UK, I know someone Down under, we'll talk.

The more aura needed, the weaker Cathy gets afterwards. Be careful !

Cefin

Kudos

That's because the story was written before the current kudos counter was implemented.