Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 751.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 751
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I hugged Daddy and went back to bed and slept like a baby. I vaguely remember the three aliens arriving, but something made them leave and I slept again.

I was walking down a long corridor, which seemed to spiral down like a staircase, only there were no steps. At the end of it was a door which I opened and went through. I was in a room which felt like it was a cathedral.It was huge and at one end was a massive stained glass window, painted in vivid shades of red and blue and yellow.

The moment I opened the door, I heard the heavenly chorus. It was singing what sounded like the Allegri Miserere. I knew the piece having sung it as a boy treble at Bristol Cathedral with the school choir – only this was better than anything our school choir could produce. Its ethereal quality was dreamlike and transcendent.

I was drawn to the area before the giant coloured window, where the sun streamed through, casting coloured shapes upon the walls and the slabs of stone which constituted the floor. As I walked towards the altar, yes, it was an altar, I could hear my heels tapping on the stones echoing through the cavernous building despite the heavenly soundtrack which accompanied me.

Walking towards the window, the light shone upon me and was blinding in its intensity. I covered my eyes as I felt compelled to approach it, and despite the rainbow window, the light which bathed me was white. It felt as if it was streaming straight through the thin white dress I wore, in fact it felt as if it was shining straight through my body. It didn’t feel warm, it was cool possibly even chilling and I should have felt goose-pimples rising on my arms and legs, but the only hair which was rising was that on the back of my neck, along with the electric shivers which ran up and down my spine. What was going on?

I felt afraid and yet thrilled at the same time as if I was about to meet something or someone special. But what? The cathedral like building – it was just too corny for words. ‘I don’t believe in all this stuff’, I kept thinking, yet still the choir kept up their ethereal music, which was beautiful despite my agnosticism.

In my compulsion to approach the altar I couldn’t see anything much at all, the light was so blinding. Then, it seemed to ease, I presume because I’d walked into the penumbra afforded by the wall under the window. I could see a figure standing before the altar whose back was towards me.

I stood before the altar and the figure who was wearing a white robe with a hood turned and I felt sick. “Hello, Cathy.”

“Ch — Charlie?” I said to myself, because the figure before me was me, only it wasn’t me – if you see what I mean.

“You look well,” said Charlie. “In fact, you’re beautiful.”

“You look awful,” I said, without it meaning to be an insult; he looked so pale and drawn.

“I never could compete with you, could I? You were always going to win.”

“I didn’t know that. In fact, I didn’t think I’d ever be myself ––”

“No, just imprisoned by me – a pale imitation of life. Why did you hate me so much?”

“Charlie, I didn’t hate you. I loved you, I just couldn’t be you – however much I tried.”

“You killed our mother.”

“What do you mean?”

“The shock of what you were doing – it killed her and caused Dad to have a stroke.”

I was crying as I stood before myself, feeling this anger and guilt being heaped upon me. “I didn’t kill, Mummy, she came to me after she died.”

“Like I am?”

“You’re not dead, Charlie, you’re part of me.”

“If that’s so, why aren’t you part of me?”

“I am.”

“It doesn’t feel like that.”

“It’s true, wherever I go, you’ll be there too.”

“I don’t believe you.”

“Charlie, how can it not be so? You were me and I am you, we are each other.”

“No, I don’t want to be some stupid girl.”

“You don’t have a choice.”

“Yes, I do – I’m a boy, a boy dammit, not some stupid girl.”

“Charlie, we are one.” I held out my arms to embrace him.

“No, I don’t want this.”

“You can’t exist without me; you are me and I am you.”

“Yes I can, I was here first – I was here for twenty years before you came along.”

“Did you? I was there with you, growing stronger by the hour.”

“Eating away at me like some cancer, devouring me.”

“Charlie, I didn’t want this to happen, but it did. We were both in the same body only one of us was destined to succeed….”

“That was me, me.” He sank to his knees and cried out as if in pain.

“If I could give you back this body, I would.” I could feel his pain as if it was a fire burning away inside me, consuming my very being. I knelt with him and we embraced.

“You’d give it back to me, and go away … forever?”

“If I could – I’ve known your pain through my own, I wouldn’t want anyone to suffer it.”

“You’d be prepared to give up your claim to my body?”

“It was our body, Charlie, but as you seem to need it more than I do, yes I’d give it to you.”

“Promise?”

“If that’s what it takes, then that’s what I shall do.”

“I thought you hated me?”

“No Charlie, I loved you but not in a way you could understand, maybe this will help you to do that?”

“You loved me?”

“I still do.”

“What about your so-called children?”

“I hope Simon and Stella and Tom, will take care of them – at this moment your pain is paramount and I need to heal it.”

“Even if it kills you?”

“Yes. Be whole and be free – I give myself to you.” I felt myself collapse and fall to the cold stone floor.

As I felt myself growing fainter and fainter, I felt his strong arms pick me up and lift me on to the altar. Whether the sun had risen or not, I don’t know but I was suddenly bathed in the most wonderful light.

“Cathy, I can’t let you leave your children, I just can’t. Go back to your children, raise them as best you can. I love you. Now go.”

I felt the strength return to me and I managed to sit up on the altar, below me was an empty white robe. Charlie was gone, the Miserere began again and I walked away from that place, my tears leaving a sparkling trail of glittering diamonds where they fell upon the ground.

I awoke crying and clutching a dressing gown, a white one; was it just a dream – surely it had to be? At the same time, I knew that my indecision was over, Charlie had sacrificed himself for me even though I had offered to do the same for him. It seemed that he loved my children too and could see what the priority was. I bawled my head off for almost an hour as I mourned his passing – he was gone forever, except for a small place in my heart

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
143 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Beautiful, Simply Beautiful

Cathy and Charlie finally meet. Angharad, THIS chapter should be entered into the Big Closet Hall Of Fame as one of the most profound dreams. How many women here go through what Cathy went through? As a guy, THAT is something that is foriegn to me.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Oh Angharad!

As if I haven't cried enough this evening.

That was beautiful, painful but beautiful.

Susie

I Guess I'm Too Cerebral

to fully appreciate this Part of the story. Still, if it makes Cathy happy and gets her over whatever hurdle she's having to getting married, then I'm all in favour of it!

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

It really begs the question

... for all of the TS folks here: How much difficulty did you have in integrating all of your life's experience under one banner, so to speak ? I had minimal difficulty, being the feminist that I am, and take on the attitude of it is not the clothes that make the man or woman. By extension, your core gender makes whatever you experience in life a 'female' experience so there was never a 'male' persona to disintegrate, just a female one with masculine overtones of which, for the latter, you just shed, much like the clothes analogy.

It was a very moving episode Angharad. It kind of says it all doesn't it. What I dread is the pressure I feel when I finally talk to my brother ( he has never met 'me' ) to take on that 'clothing' again and again be the person he had known me to be, instead of being that integrated person I am now.

Kim

must admit...

kristina l s's picture

...part of me wanted to slap the petulant little twit, but at the same time just grab hold and hug tight and whisper let it go. Which of course would be coming from two directions. The whole duality thing is curious, I mean it is and isn't separate as in yes there's him as was and yet it's me and was... so... Doesn't really stop the whole self flagellation thing but it can lessen it, hey I'm him and I'm not and never was but..... Ummm, nice writing Ang.

Kristina

And so

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."

we must all deal with our past .

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."

Heavy.

But thankfully, something Cathy can (hopefully) integrate into her life and continue living.

No, I won't say "move on from," because from what I've read, it's a part of her life that she (can't? won't? doesn't want to?) leave behind.

A cerebral moment

If there are any T folk with relationships with men, I mean to be one of them. So far I keep hitting the ball into the pond. The idea of letting go of your old male self is an interesting one. In the midst of insisting that I am a woman, a while back I went out and spent hundreds of dollars on new battery powered drill, and and saw. Forget about women being empowered now days because they really aren't.

One of the things I am seeing is that it is counter productive to offer to help a man fix his furnace, his car or his boat engine. Maybe I have just been shooting myself in the foot. Maybe I just need to let the man puzzle his way through the "Male" work and just concentrate on learning all the girl stuff. Cooking is really exciting for me and it would be a lot better with some big guy bugging me while I do it. giggle. I can think of the most interesting uses for Pennut Butter, or Honey. :) Yum!

Maybe I just need to forget about working in live panels and concentrate on keeping a nice house and make something warm and soft get hard and hot! Maybe I just need to fully engage woman hood.

BTW, don't ever tell your arab boyfriend that you listen to "Queen"! :(

Khadija

Wow

Wish I could think of something profound to say but all I can do is shake my head and say, "Wow." What a chapter and what a dream. Or was is a dream.... did Cathy bring back the white dressing gown from her dream?

I remember the moment in my

I remember the moment in my life when Mike was gone. That moment provided me with peace of mind that still exists to this day.

Way to go Cathy! its down hill to your marriage.

And after that, things


Way to go Cathy! its down hill to your marriage.

And after that, things REALLY go downhill fast! ;-)

Jenny

Jenny

Nicely done, Ang.

Seems like Cathy has finally met up with what has been hiding in her subconscious all this time. Face to face with her guilt feelings finally. Accepting and moving on should be easier for her now. Nicely portrayed and handled.

At last

it seems that Cathy will finally able to move on with her life, I did begin to wonder if Cathy would ever be able to put her past behind her, But hopefully the dream (or was it a dream?)will mean free of any guilt about Charlie.....Cathy will at last be able to live her life in the way she wishes!

Kirri

I'm glad to see

I'm glad to see this moment has finally arrived; the moment when Cathy fully accepts herself as the woman she's worked so hard to become. For the longest time, she kept looking at herself and seeing the old Charlie there (or at least some small part of him). Now, after this dream, I believe she will accept what everyone else keeps telling her--that she IS a beautiful woman!

I've said this many times before, Angharad; but, after this chapter, I need to repeat myself. This is a truly delightful story; thank you for sharing it with all of us!

Jenny

Jenny

i made my stmt in chapt 750

I believe every post-op Ts eventually goes thru this phase, it might not be as spiritual as this one seems, but it is something every single one of has to do @ some point of transition ... me it was post-op about 3 moths after surgury & I was def. glad I had a really good therapist helping me thru it.

very sensitive & heartfelt writing ANGHARAD HUGGS

Transition

There are aspects of transitioning that I will never understand. Not too surprising, since I will likely never be doing it. It has appeal, but the fact is I don't think I could ever pull it of, and would be in a worse state than when I started if I tried.

Part of the enormous appeal of this series is it gives me an insight to the other side, something I will never see personally. For that I thank all of you, Angharad especially, for sharing.

If there were a process that could change me totally into the person I wish I had been born as I would jump at the chance, but reality is a cold bitch, and I feel stuck and powerless. At least I can live vicariously through Cathy.

Anyone who has read these comments probably has seen more of me than I ever meant to show, but I suspect my secrets are safe, who will really reads these comments from scratch. Maybe one or two people in the next couple of years, but they will be in the same boat on this series I am, catching up and not truly interacting. Angharad started to at first, but over a thousand trite comments with the occasional nugget has left her behind too.

My personal time is probably shorter than I like to admit. By the time anyone reads this I'll be long gone, with a personal part of me stuck like a fly in amber in these comments. I can only pray that if there is reincarnation, I'll get it right next time.

Cathy and what she was told by her mother

“Cathy, I can’t let you leave your children, I just can’t. Go back to your children, raise them as best you can. I love you. Now go.”
There! Her mother told her she would be told what to do at the proper time. This conclusion of Cathy's conversation with Charlie is it --she is being told what to do. Now, she can accept herself for what she is, and as she appears to those around her.
She is a mother, first and foremost, and she is being told from beyond that this is what she should be. Now, knowing she is meant to be a mother, it will just that much easier to marry Simon, which I suspect will be rather quickly.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Very King James Angharad - Bike 751

Rhona McCloud's picture

The King James Bible language you used to describe Cathy's vision was very effective if a surprise.
Again I wasn't expecting a confrontation between Cathy and Charlie but it made sense of a lot of Cathy's behaviour.
Cathy's emergence so far has been almost forced on her by Stella and others albeit with the best of intentions and not much of a fight. "Charlie's" circumstances were too comfortable to allow change but the time had to come when Cathy accepted total responsibility for being the woman she is. It will be interesting to see how her behaviour alters.

The last line jarred a little as my own experience isn't of a lingering male presence however I've come to trust your foresight Angharad and maybe it is a self-deception that will allow her to cope where others would fall apart

Rhona McCloud

Another dream sequence ?

064.JPG

Did this finally dispel Cathy's doubts of womanhood by meeting Charlie. Now can the wedding commence ?

Cefin

Wow!

Wow!

Wow

just wow! I think this is the best chapter in the whole story so far, incredible.

A beautifully written chapter

You would have to have a heart of stone not to feel your eyes at least glisten upon reading this chapter. Has Cathy finally solved her problems at last?