Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 784.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 784
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Despite his strange ideas on religion, I thought Tom Cruise was physically rather dishy, and he’s probably taller than my five foot seven, not that I’m ever likely to meet him anyway.

“I’ve asked Tom to collect the girls which he’s happy to do.“

“How much did you tell him?“

“Only that you had a near accident and were a bit shaken up by it.“

“If they’re after me, couldn’t they also go after Tom?“

“We can’t all be followed, and he’s going from the university to the school, so they won’t know him.“

“If they were watching the school, he could be in danger.“

“They’d have to be very single minded for that.“

“Not really, if they know what time it finishes, they’d only have to wait and watch. If they know our kids, they could follow Tom quite easily.“

“If they were after our kids, why did they ambush you when you were on your own?“

“Because they didn’t know where I lived or because they were watching from the school.“

“Perhaps it’s just a bit of bad driving?“ Simon suggested without conviction.

“It could be “ agreed Stella, “just some boy-racer, or other.“

“Alright, I hear you, maybe I’m just paranoid, we’ll see. I could always go to the school as well and see what happens.“

“What’s the point of me asking Tom?“ Simon was getting cross.

“If it’s me they’re after, it would mean the girls would be safe “

“Would they? What if they witnessed you having an accident, how do you think they’d feel then?“ Simon’s attack hit home and I felt awful.

“What am I supposed to do, sit around and wait?“

“Yes “ Simon and Stella both said in unison.

“That isn’t my style – you know that?“

“Babes, in this case I think you need to sit it out. Let’s take a scenario –suppose the driver was Brown-Cow in her Range Rover, she might have become as frightened of the near miss as you were – so another attempt may never be made. If she simply wanted to upset you, she succeeded–so she might have achieved what she wanted, anyway.“

“Simon, you can speculate all you want, I’m going to make some dinner.”

“We haven’t had lunch yet, have we – my stomach seems to think my throat’s been cut “

“I could oblige,“ said Stella.

“Shove off, you psycho.“ I heard him reply.

Using some stale bread and grated cheese I did us cheese on toast for lunch. I wasn’t really hungry, or I thought I wasn’t until I started eating, then it went down very well. Simon wolfed his down – were he one of my kids, I’d have corrected his table manners. However, it wouldn’t be very nice to do it to an adult. He might also have been as hungry as he said.

For dinner, I made us a cottage pie using minced pork – maybe I should rename it sty-pie? Yeah, market it as Cathy’s Sty Pie, made with real piggy-wiggy. I wonder if dormouse pie would sell just as well? Not made with real dormice, like some crisps that were sold earlier this year, which claimed to be hedgehog flavoured, but it was just a joke.

Simon went back to his computer, Stella her baby and Meems and I went back to our cottage. She helped me peel the spuds, which I boiled then mashed and creamed; in between which I also cooked the pork with chopped onions, carrots and garlic. I drained off some of the liquor from the meat – partly fat – and after tipping it into a large ovenproof bowl, topped it with the potato and smeared it with some butter before popping in a fairly hot oven.

All I needed now was for it to brown and then add diners. We’d eat it with mixed vegetables, which I started preparing from scratch. It kept me busy, and Meems helped me – so it kept both of us busy and I didn’t have time to muse on my incident.

Mima helped me lay the table which we’d just finished doing when Tom drove up with the girls. I hugged them and felt relief that nothing untoward had happened on their journey.

Simon told Tom what had happened while I gave the girls a drink of squash and a biscuit. I know, it could spoil their appetite – except I know these two – they’re like giant piranhas.

Dinner went down quite well, with fruit and ice cream for dessert. Puddin’ was cooing as she ate her ice cream, she’d had some of my cottage pie as well, and I think she was growing a little from eating ordinary food rather than commercial baby muck Stella used to buy. Now it just requires the hand blender thingy and in two ticks you have baby nosh for the eating of.

Simon did the storytelling and Tom helped me clear up, but only so he could quiz me about the near miss this morning. Like everyone else, he had no clear opinion about it – it could have been anything – however, he insisted that he take the girls to school tomorrow and collect them.

“And just what am I supposed to do?“ I pouted at him.

“Wait here a tick,“ he said, disappeared out the front door and came back with a data box, “Ye can sort through this lot.“ He dumped the box on the kitchen table. I opened the lid and saw it was full of records of mammal sightings.

“What are these?“ I asked.

“Records of yer blasted vermin,“ he smiled and went off to his study for his nip of single malt.

I lifted off a couple from the top, they were dormouse sightings with photos, drawings, maps and grid references. The odd one had a chewed acorn or hazel nut attached which confirmed that some at least had an idea for what they were searching.

Before long, I was seated at the table sorting through the records and categorising them as possibles or not. At nearly midnight, Simon appeared and asked if I was going to do this all night. I had become completely distracted by my work – and I felt quite good about it.

“Forecast is quite good tomorrow, so why don’t you get a quick ride in while I watch Meems, then you can play with her a bit and get on with your records.“

“Hmm, that sounds like a great idea, Si.“ I stood up and kissed him, he pulled me to him and kissed me back.

“Let’s go to bed, Babes.“

I hope this doesn’t make me sore for tomorrow, went through my little mind, but seeing as I’d neglected him all evening, my guilt allowed him to convince me to take the risk. Trust me to be faced with such dilemmas. In the end it wasn’t a problem – he got himself so excited that he managed to spill his load before he actually got inside me. Okay so I had to clean up the bed, but I was safe for the morning and I only needed a pee before sleeping rather than a sloosh down below.

The next day I awoke feeling as invigorated as if I’d had a holiday and it was with a spring in my step that I got the girls up and made their packed lunches. I hugged them before they went off to school and Simon appeared just in time to kiss them goodbye before they went.

I was about to go upstairs and change into some old cycling togs when he produced a package from the study. He handed it towards me. “What’s this?“ I asked him.

“Open it and see.“

It felt soft, like clothing, I felt excited – I love clothes, in case you hadn’t noticed. I tore open the package and pulled out a yellow jersey and shorts. For a moment I thought it was Saunier Duvall, but it wasn’t it was Columbia Highroad, as worn by Mark Cavendish and Edvald Boasson Hagen.

“I couldn’t get the same as the old one, and this is the only really yellow one. I hope it’s alright. “

I blinked away the disappointment I’d initially felt. “Simon, it’s absolutely wonderful.“ I threw my arms around his neck and kissed him, “Thank you so much.“

“Go and change and have your ride – but be careful.“

“I will,“ I said kissing him again.

.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
128 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Uh-oh, she's going to go

Uh-oh, she's going to go riding again! What's going to happen this time?! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Simon is

such a sweety, What a nice thought that was.......But why do i feel worried knowing Cathy is going out on her bike....Possibly because in an argument between a bike and a 4x4 there's only going to be one winner!!!

Kirri

It wasn't a 4X4

Last time the guy got a stick up his assets. And very appropriate that was too. Did I mention how funny that was (one I had read it in the entirety)?

Betcha he is still walking funny.

Cathy On A Bike

If she had E.T. on the bike, she could go flying. But knowing her luck, that SUV will try to do it for her.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

equation

Cathy plus new bike plus past adventures plus new 4x4 scare equals what?

Is there something wrong with this picture?

Same concerns as everyone else

So I assume Angharad will have a surprise for us. (or that Brown-Cow will attack with the SUV, careen off the road and into a tree, and require rescue from Cathy the superhero)

the reference to piggy wiggy brought up a recent memory. While on a road trip a month ago, we passed a grocery store in a chain that I remember from childhood but I'd assumed was out of business, "Piggly Wiggly." Yup, still going but probably not really strong. http://www.pigglywiggly.com/

The best thing for Cathy to

The best thing for Cathy to be riding right now is either a Challenger tank or an M1 Abrams tank. Either one will definitely defend against a 4x4 SUV. Can see Cathy now in the tank commander position with a beret on her head and Spike on her shoulder. :)
Janice Lynn

Love the

picture you produced in my mind.

Getting back to work ....

after all that time away, probably DID feel good. It's about time she got a bit of work done!

Wonder if there was anything (other than a reckless driver in the rover "attack"... It's inept enough to have been Brown-Cow. :-)

Thanks for keeping this going.
Annette

4X4 repellant is needed.

Great to see Cathy back at work. I knew it would give her an emotional lift. Great Cathy is going for a bike ride (another great therapy) except for the rogue 4 X 4 possibly waiting around the bend. Bikes have the advantage in traffic. They can go where a 4 X 4 can't go. On the open road, the advantage belongs to the 4 X 4. She's got a new bike, new riding skins (bright yellow-no hiding) and a new enemy, about par for Cathy.

I know Cathy's an atheist, but I hope her uncanny ability (aka guardian angel)is there to overcome any adversity like a close encounter of the 4 X 4 kind may produce. Similar to how her 'luck' helped her defeat the Russian mafia et al.

Nice cliff hanger.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Cathy in a no win

Cathy in a no win situation:

Attack or not, if she sees a 4x4 she prolly ends up in the hedge.
But maybe she gets lucky and nothing happens at all.
In Simon's place i'd follow her anyway, just to be on the save side.

Hedgehog-flavoured crisps

I was inclined to disbelieve that anyone had made such potato crisps, even as a joke, but googled it and found that it actually had happened.

See link: http://www.doyouremember.co.uk/memory.php?memID=4286

In the naughty noughties we now have a new wave of crisp sorts for the upper class snobs - all designed to con people with too much money to spend more than anyone should for a half a potato with some salt and various other chemicals added. One particular one is called Kettle Chips, although this is Britain and only in the Americas do people call crisps, chips. These taste quite nice compared with the ordinary cheaper kinds, but it is still a lot of money for a potato with some added chemicals.

Where I am living now, hedgehogs were introduced some years ago and have become a dangerous pest as they eat the eggs of quite rare, ground-nesting sea birds. The local authority pays a person to kill them, and a society for the saving of tiggywinkles successfully competes, collecting them live and shipping them to southern england where they generally end up as road kill as they go wandering looking for some familiar place known to them (or possibly for their favorite food - birds' eggs?)!

Angharad, you are amazing, to be able to keep this up, day after day. One would expect it to run dry after so long but somehow it does not. Bless you for entertaining us all like this. May we propose you for the next Nobel Prize for LITERATURE? This achievement deserves some kind of recognition, even if only in the Guiness Book of Records!

Briar

Briar

Ooooohhhh!

More bad guys going to appear in the story? I await with bated breath!

Thank you again, Ang, for keeping us entertained so well!!

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)