Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 777.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 777
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“Hang on, how did you know she’d hit me?” I asked him.

“Because I know you, and once provoked, you’d give as good as you got; however, you’d also be aware that if you provoked her back you’d win the argument, moral and actual.”

“Simon, that is very deep for you.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Normally, you don’t expound such thoughts.”

“I see, getting intellectualist are we?”

“Getting what? Simon, I’ve just had a run in with one obnoxious personage; I really don’t need to fight with you when I come home.”

“This isn’t a fight, it’s an exchange of information, views, opinions...”

“Bullshit?”

“Not on my part, my dear.” His eyes danced as he spoke, another wind up – the pig, he deserves to get swine flu or whatever they call it.

“Would you like some lunch?”

“Yes please, Babes.”

“Well stop the wind up or you’ll be wearing it.” I didn’t wait for a response I went out into the kitchen to start making a new loaf as we only had about half of one left. He came out as I was putting the ingredients into the machine.

“Pax?” he said waving a tissue.

“Are we doing the Latin bit?”

“Yes, I’ll say truce if you’d prefer a French influence.”

“As I’m feeling magnanimous, I’ll accept unconditional surrender.” I had my back turned to him as I finished sorting the machine.

“You’ll accept what?” he gasped verging I suspect on apoplexy.

“Your unconditional surrender.” I still kept my back to him.

He seemed to mull over this for a few moments, “Does this mean I get lunch?”

“Of course, I’m always generous in victory.”

“Victory?” He paused, then added, “What is for lunch?”

“Ham and cheese omelette.”

“Hmmm...Okay, I surrender, plenty of cheese in mine, please.”

“I always put loads of cheese in yours.”

“I know, I was just checking out on the generous bit.”

“Generous? What are you talking about?” Sometimes I’m sure we’re actually in different but parallel universes which coincide every now and again.

“Your earlier statement; you claimed you were generous in victory – I just wondered if your generosity ran to cheese?”

“Simon, you are completely barmy.”

“Does that mean I’ll get my cheese or not?”

I turned around and threw my arms around him and kissed him. “Does that answer your question?”

“Hmm, can you repeat your answer, I don’t think I quite caught it the first time?” I frowned at him, then kissed him again.

“Now, go and keep an eye on Houdini before she does another runner.”

“Houdini?”

“Mima, you twit.”

“She’s sat on the sofa listening to her music player.”

“That’s what she was doing yesterday before she vanished into thin air.”

“Okay, I’ll go and check she’s still there.” He went off to the lounge. I carried on getting the pan and the eggs ready to make the omelettes. He didn’t come back so i assumed he’d either disappeared as well as Meems or, she was there and he was having a crafty cuddle. I sneaked in to the hallway and peeped through the crack down the edge of the door, she was sitting on his lap and he was reading to her, I smiled because I felt a lovely sense of warmth from seeing them together. He loved the kids and they loved him in return.

About twenty minutes later I produced omelettes for everyone –Tom, Simon, Stella, Meems and myself. I also did a little one with just some cheese in it for Puddin’. They weren’t too bad–in fact I’ve had worse in a restaurant.

My mind drifted back to one day before we had the kids – Simon had met me for lunch and we’d gone to this pub with restaurant. I ordered a Spanish omelette and what they served was horrible. I sent it back and two minutes later the chef appeared asking what was wrong with it. So I told him. He asked me if I could do better and I accepted this as a challenge. He was so cross that he led me back to the kitchen, gave me a pinafore to put on and pointed to the range. I nodded and within about twelve minutes had produced an entirely better product than he had. He was gracious enough to concede defeat and furthermore we weren’t billed for either meal. He also offered me a job which I declined, the pay would be worse than the remuneration for corrupting the minds of young people. As we left he asked me where I’d learned to make omelettes – my reply was simple, my mother showed me how to do them when I was about fifteen, I’d been practicing ever since.

“A penny for them,” said Stella.

“Uh, what?” I was miles away.

“For your thoughts, they were obviously more interesting than the conversation around the table.

“How would you know that?” I wasn’t really sure what she was on about.

“Well they captivated you completely, you’ve not said anything for several minutes since you took a portion of omelette – which incidentally, is very good, but then yours always are.”

“I know what she was thinking,” said Si smirking.

“This I have to hear,” replied Stella, “seeing as you usually have about as much idea about what women are thinking as I do about the ruminations of the average camel.”

“Wasn’t Mel Gibson in some stupid film about what women want?” I added changing the subject.

“Coulda been,” said Stella, “he’s made a few duff films.”

“Och, he wis quite guid in Braveheart,” Tom had finished his meal and was picking bits of salad out of his teeth with a cocktail stick which he kept as an impromptu toothpick.

“Wasn’t he a Glasgow Rangers fan in that?” asked Simon.

“Whit’re ye on aboot?” Tom looked completely perplexed by Simon’s statement.

Just before Simon finished his set up for a pun, I got the joke. “Well he was covered in blue stuff, Tom, so I assumed that was Rangers.”

“That wis woad, ye stupid bugger.”

“I thought that only applied to the Welsh – I mean they’re the remnants of the Ancient Brits, aren’t they – along with the Cornish?” As far as I knew it was so.

“The Romano-British, included a tribe who held ground up near Edinburgh sae it’s quite feasible the Scots wuid hae carried on the custom.”

I didn’t feel like arguing, so I finished my lunch and left the field of battle to make some tea. I didn’t particularly like the film Braveheart, it broke one of my childhood dreams, Patrick McGoohan played Edward Longshanks and was a real pig, so different from his gentleman spy in Dangerman and The Prisoner. I suppose life is full of such realisations, though we don’t have to like them.

I made the tea.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
158 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Back To The Basics

Of banter between everybody, and Simon shows to know a bit about Cathy. But trouble is brewing about thanks ti piglet and her mum cow, just what, only Ang, or Bonzi knows.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

It's always nice

when you get episodes with lots of chit-chat between Cathy and Simon...And it's even more fun when the talk turns to food.... (Why is it whenever Cathy cooks food it always makes me hungry too!) And when the food in question is Ham and cheese omelette....YUM!!!

Kirri

Just wondering...

Is it possible for the Cameron Clan to have something approaching what the rest of us would classify as an "ordinary" conversation? :)
It seems as though they find it irresistable to add a liberal dose of lateral thinking, puns and wordplay into almost every conversation they have...

Never mind what the girls learn in school, perhaps the most valuable life skill they could learn is the subtle art of "Cameron Conversation"...

-oOo-

Sidenote: spot the chapter number - given that 7 is reputed to be a 'lucky' number, and the number 3 is also allegedly mystic, a row of three sevens could only spell good fortune for the characters... (and possibly also the story / plot / author [1])

 
 
--Ben

[1] Since I've mentioned wordplay, it's an occasion to drag out that awful alliteration: wicked [2] witty wild Welsh writing wonder woman [3]
[2] Only as far as the deviousness of her plotlines - you certainly couldn't describe any of the current crop of characters 'wicked', and she's almost certainly anything but wicked IRL!
[3] Can anyone do any better (or worse, depending on your POV) than an alliteration of 7 W's?
[4] Oh dear, I'm starting to get addicted to footnotes. [5]
[5] And that wasn't even referenced. At least I haven't started using self-referential or recursive footnotes yet...


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Kewl

I figgered she'd be under or behind the sofa by the time they got back to her, trying to listen in peace. Good interplay at the table also.

777

Properties of the number 777

Symbolism

* This number joins together the principles of the man, 700, the cosmic planes, 70, and their image in the Archetype, 7, according to R. Allendy. It is the universal organization, 7 + 7 + 7 = 21, the general evolution.

* Represents the celestial perfection, 7, on the 3 planes of the manifestation: matter, astral (mental or soul) and spirit.

* In esotericism, 777 means that virgin spirits will know 777 incarnations during seven revolutions that the wave of life accomplishes around the seven globes of the seven world periods. The symbolism of this number is therefore the ascension of the soul through the physical body.

* According to the tradition of Himalayan masters, 777 is the number of the celestial man and symbolizes the transmutation which takes place at the time where the man becomes conscious of the necessity to cover the path of initiation.

Cheers,

Liobhan

-

Cheers,

Liobhan

ooooooooooooh a coinkydink

NoraAdrienne's picture

I just got myself a set of the original BBC Danger Man series .... 13 discs

Liked the omlet story

I suspect it's a fantasy many of us who eat in restaurants have.

Rhona, The men were women too, Shhhh

Don't forget James Bond in mukluks the Brit spy in "Ice Station Zebra". Starring Rock Hudson, Randy Scott's SO. Where was the seam in those latex balls anyway ? What language has 'Ben Dig E Dig' to say 'Great'.

Cefin

Mel Gibson's 'Braveheart'

I hate to take issue with Prof Tom's comment on this film, but it's often referred to as the most inaccurate historical film ever made. From the Scots wearing kilts, which they didn't until much later than when the film was set, to the 'Battle of Stirling Bridge' with no bridge in sight, it's just riddled with inaccuracies.