A Modest Proposal - Part 20

Printer-friendly version

 

A Modest Proposal Part 20
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2023 Melanie Brown


Final Chapter - Ed

 


 

“I’ll get it, Mom,” I said when the doorbell rang. I wasn’t sure where Mom was, but I was just goofing off in the living room watching TV.

When I opened the door, I was shocked to see Bobby. Before I could even greet him, he said, “Hey baby, come on. I need you to come with me.” He reached out and took my hand.

I resisted his tug. “Come with you? For what?”

Bobby frowned as he tugged on my hand again. “I just need you to come with me. Stop being so dumb, girl.”

I tugged back. I turned my head around and shouted to Mom, wherever she was, “Mom! Bobby wants me to go with him for a little bit. Is that okay?”

From the bowels of her bedroom, Mom shouted back, “How long?”

Looking pissed at not being instantly obeyed, he said, “Probably an hour and a half.”

Mom called back, “Okay. Absolutely no later than ten.” It was seven –thirty so that shouldn’t be a problem.

I shouted back, “Okay, Mom. Bye!” Bobby tugged me through the front door. I managed to hold back long enough to lock the front door.

Bobby frowned at me as he said, “Sheesh, girl. You need to be more spontaneous.”

I was surprised when he led me to a sleek, black Ford Mustang Shelby GT500.

“Holy shit, Bobby. Is this yours?” I asked as we got close to the car.

Grinning ear-to-ear as he led me to the passenger door, he said, “You better believe it babe. This pony car has been tuned to produce nine hundred horses. This will blow the doors off your old boyfriend’s piece of shit.”

I squinted at the car. “Jeff has a Mustang just like this.”

Bobby laughed. “Trust me. It’s not just like this!”

The seat had a five point harness. “How do I get in?” I asked.

Bobby chuckled. “Sit down. I’ll help.”

Bobby got in the driver’s seat, turned the ignition and the engine rumbled to life. You could feel the power reverberating through the seats.

As Bobby navigated away from the curb, I asked, “So, did you just want to show me your car?”

Chuckling, Bobby said, “That. And I need you to be my good luck charm tonight.”

A shaft of cold bolted down my spine. I’d forgotten he was going to race tonight. I really didn’t think he was serious. “You’re racing tonight? In this car?” Mom would just kill me if I rode in a race with Bobby.

As we rumbled down the street, Bobby said, “Of course in this car. A schmuck from across town thinks he can beat me. He and his little Challenger have another think coming.” He put his hand on my leg. “We’re a team, baby.”

Bobby drove his car into the parking lot of the old abandoned mall. There were already several cars and people about. Bobby parked his car in a line with four other cars and got out. It took me a moment to fumble my way out of the seat belt. There were several other cars opposite us.

Gearhead, holding what looked like a beer can in one hand shouted, “Alright! The Ronster is here! Hey Bobby.”

Bobby walked over to where Gearhead and the others were standing around. He looked over at the cars opposite us and shouted, “So where’s the Duke? Did he pussy out on me?”

Someone from the other side shouted, “He’ll be here. Don’t worry. Who’s the chick?”

Bobby put his arms around me, locking my arms in place. “Do you like this? This little girl is all mine and a cheerleader to boot.”

The guy across from us laughed. “If we’re just comparing bitches, you’ve got Duke beat.”

Bobby laughed as well. “Damn straight!” He then let go of me. The late October evening air was chilly and I didn’t bring a jacket.

Bobby pointed at a cooler in front of one of the cars. “Grab me a drink, would you? Get something for yourself too.”

I walked over to the ice chest and lifted the lid and looked inside. I was actually a bit shocked. I said, “There’s only beer in here.”

Frowning, Bobby walked towards me. “So?”

I stood up straighter and closed the lid. “So? So if we’re caught, we’d be in big trouble. I’m only sixteen. The same as you, I bet. We could face suspension and I would get kicked off the squad!”

One of the older boys I didn’t know asked, “Who brought Marry Poppins here?”

Bobby snarled, “Ain’t gonna happen. Stop being such a dweeb.” He opened the cooler and took a can and walked back to his car.

I started shaking and not just from the cold. This was bad. Seriously bad. The last thing I need is for Mom to pick me up from the police station. I looked over at Bobby laughing with his buddies. I needed to make a decision.

Can I make a break from Bobby? Won’t that just make him angry? I don’t want to make him angry. He’ll just yell at me. He just makes me feel dumb.

How the hell did I get to this point?

I took a deep breath. I fumbled around in my purse and retrieved my cell phone. I looked where Bobby was located. I walked quickly behind some of the cars. I started to tear up. I can’t do this. I have to. He’ll be angry. I don’t care.

“Hello?”

Lowering my voice, I spoke into my cell phone. “Hey Jeff. It’s me.”

“Hello, me,” said Jeff’s voice over the phone. “What’s up, Ronnie? It’s been a while since you’ve called.”

I sucked in a deep breath. “I’ll have to say this quickly. I’m already losing my nerve. I need a big big huge big favor from you. Please please please. It’s like an emergency.”

Jeff said calmly, “What’s going on?”

“Can you take me home? Please?” I pleaded.

Sounding confused, Jeff asked, “Take you home? From where? What’s going on?”

Taking a deep breath again to calm down, I said, “Bobby brought me to the abandoned mall parking lot. He’s getting ready to race. He wants me to be his good luck charm.”

Jeff said, “Oh. That’s cool. Girls always seem to like the low rumble, screeching of tires and being compressed in your seat from the raw acceleration. You’d probably enjoy it. Bobby has a really cool car. It’s better than mine, actually.”

Frustrated, I growled, “You’re not getting it! I want to go home!”

Jeff laughed. “What’s the big deal? Just tell Bobby you want to leave.”

“He’ll get mad at me!”

Jeff said, “Don’t be so whiney. Just tell him you need to go. Sheesh.” He disconnected.

I sighed and walked back to where everyone was standing around. I walked right up to Bobby.

He looked down at me and asked, “Hey. Where’d you wander off to? Duke should be here any minute.”

“I want you to take me home,” I demanded. “I’m not riding with you.”

Bobby’s eyes flashed. “What did you say? I told you you’re riding with me. And Duke will be here any minute. I can’t take you home.”

Bristling, I shouted, “I want you to take me home!”

One of the older guys sitting on the trunk of one of the cars said with a laugh, “Ohhh. I think she’s mad.” Several of the guys burst out laughing.

Outraged at being laughed at, Bobby pointed a finger at me and shouted, “Bitch! You’ve lost the privilege to ride with me. Go stand over there. I’ll deal with you later!”

“Don’t call me bitch!” I shouted, my hackles up. I clinched my fists as if I could actually use them.

His face flushed, Bobby shouted, “I’ll call my girl whatever the fuck I want to! Now go over there and shut the fuck up!”

The guy sitting on the trunk chuckled, “Better watch it dude. You got her mad.” He laughed.

Gearhead laughed, “She might hurt you with those tiny fists so watch out!” He started laughing hard.

Tears flowing, I shouted, “I hate you!” Spinning around I continued to shout, “I hate all of you!”

Another older guy sneered, “Dude. Can’t you control that bitch of yours?”

Bobby grabbed my arm and raised his hand. I just glared at him. His face was a mask of fury. He lowered his hand and gruffly led me by my arm to one side. “You’re in a lot of trouble, girl. No girl talks to me that way. Especially my girl! Stand here. Shut the fuck up. I’ll deal with you after the race.” He turned and walked back towards his car, leaving me by myself.

Melvin who I just noticed was in the group laughed, “What that bitch needs is a good fucking!”

Bobby laughed. “That’s coming.”

About then, a beautiful red Dodge Challenger came rumbling up. As the car passed by the line of cars, the driver stuck his head out the window and shouted, “I’m looking for a Fix Or Replace Daily pile of shit.”

Bobby walked up to the Dodge and said, “You’re racing this piece of shit? I thought you had a real car!”

The Dodge driver, who I had to assume was Duke laughed. “Put your money where your mouth is Fairchump. Time to race.”

Bobby grinned. “Let’s do it! You know the street.”

Duke saw me standing by myself. He grinned and said, “Hey there, honey. Want to ride with a winner?”

Bobby scowled. “Hands off, Duke. The bitch is mine.”

Duke looked confused. “Isn’t she riding with you?”

Bobby shrugged. “Not this time. I’m trying to save weight.”

Duke looked back at me and almost split a gut laughing so hard.

Bobby shouted, “Let’s go.” He didn’t open the driver’s door. Instead he slid his legs in through the window. The engine roared to life.

Everyone started walking towards their cars. Spike pointed at me and shouted, “What about the girl?”

Bobby said, “She can stay here and watch the beer.”

All the cars started to rumble away. Spike turned to me and asked, “Are you going to be okay?”

I folded my arms and growled. “I’m just peachy.”

Spike jumped into his car and started it. “See you in about twenty minutes.” With a chirp of tires, he roared away.

I stood alone in the cold darkness. There were only a sprinkling of security lights in the old parking lot and none of them lit where I was standing.

How could he just abandon me out here in the darkness. This is hardly a safe part of town. Anything could happen to me.

I pulled my cell phone from my purse and called Jeff again.

“Is this still me?” asked Jeff as he answered his phone.

“Can you just come rescue me, please?” I begged on the verge of tears again.

“Did you ask Bobby?” asked Jeff, sounding indifferent.

“Yes I did!” I shouted. “He abandoned me in the parking lot. I’m cold and scared. Should I call Tank instead?”

Jeff said, “Abandoned? Who all is with you?”

I said, “It’s just me and the beer.”

Sounding shocked, Jeff asked, “Are you serious? He left a little girl like you all alone at night in a bad part of town?”

I said simply, “Yes.”

Jeff growled, “Aw jeez. Hang tight Ronnie. I’ll be there in about ten minutes. Or less.” He disconnected.

It was starting to get really cold. I shivered as I sat down on the cooler. I looked nervously around in the darkness. Anyone could sneak up on me. Why didn’t I listen to Nova?

I had no desire to talk with Bobby tonight, so I put my phone on silent. He can just talk to my voice mail.

About six minutes after I called Jeff, I saw a set of car headlights turn on to the parking lot. The headlights were either my rescuer or my rapist. What’s behind door number one?

A few moments later, a blue Ford Mustang crunched to a stop on the gravel next to me. The passenger door swung open and a voice from inside the car said, “Get in. Quick.”

“Jeff!” I squealed as I jumped inside his car. I gave him a big hug around his neck. “I am so glad to see you!”

Jeff’s eyes darted around the parking lot. “Sit down and strap in. We have to get clear of this area. I’ve heard a lot of sirens from that area we usually race in.” As we started to drive off, Jeff looked at something in his rear view mirror. Frowning, he slammed the car hard into reverse. There was a bump and a sound of plastic scraping pavement. He hit the accelerator leaving behind a smashed cooler and popped cans of beer spewing in all directions.

Jeff touched my hand. “My God, girl. You’re freezing. Why don’t you have a coat?”

“Bobby didn’t give me any time to grab one,” I said breathing hard. “I didn’t even realize where we were going.”

Jeff glanced over at me. “Did he hurt you?”

I shook my head. “No,” I said honestly.

Jeff gritted his teeth. “I’ll take you home, but not directly. There’s a lot of cops around.”

My eyes widened. “Did something happen?”

Jeff shrugged. “Who knows?”

We both jumped when Jeff’s cell phone rang. He picked it up and looked at who was calling. “It’s Nova.” Into the phone he said, “Hello? …. Yeah. She’s with me….Okay. We’ll be there in a few minutes.” He disconnected.

“What was that about?” I asked.

“She didn’t really say,” said Jeff. “She asked if I knew where you were and then said for us to meet at Taco Bueno.”

“I wonder why she just didn’t call me.” I said, feeling slightly confused.

Jeff shrugged. “You’ll have to ask her, I guess.”

I started to fill with dread with police sirens around us. We had to pull over to let an ambulance pass. A minute later Jeff parked at Taco Bueno, next to Nova’s car. I jumped out of the car and ran inside.

Nova ran up to me and gave me a big bear hug. “Oh thank God you’re okay!”

I stepped back from Nova. “Yes. I’m fine. What’s going on?”

As Tank gave me a hug as well, Nova said, “There was a race tonight.”

I nodded. “I know. Bobby wanted me to ride with him, but I backed out.”

Nova sat down. “Thank God you did. Ronnie. There was an accident. Bobby’s been taken to the hospital.”

My legs suddenly got weak. A half hour ago I was telling him I hated him and now I’m overcome with worry. “He’s hurt? How bad? What happened?”

Tank sat down next to me as Nova held my hands. Tank said, “From what Gearhead told me, just as the race started, someone ran a stop sign in front of them. The streets were supposed to be clear or they wouldn’t race. Bobby clipped the car and his car swerved out of control and rolled several times. Thankfully he put a roll cage in his car. His car was totaled. Bobby sustained some head trauma as well as other cuts and lacerations.” Tank paused for a moment and looked grim while I burst into tears.

Tank continued, “His car hit a telephone pole. It crushed the passenger side of the car. That’s where you would have been.”

Nova began crying too. “I was so worried you were hurt especially when you didn’t answer your phone. Oh Ronnie! You could have been killed!”

Jeff and Tank sat nearby, looking at the floor with their hands clasped in front of them while Nova and I held each other and cried.

Sniffling, I asked no one in particular, “Should I go to the hospital and see him?”

Nova shrugged. “Well, he is your boyfriend.”

I stared at my hands a few moments. “About that…”

Taking a deep breath, I said, “I was going to break up with him tonight. You should have seen the way he treated me earlier. But I’d feel like a jerk breaking up with him now.”

Nova sat up straighter. “You were going to break up with him? Yeah, there’s never a good time for that. What did he do?”

“What he always does, I guess,” I said looking at my feet. “Yelling. Ordering me around. Making me afraid to speak. And when someone said I needed a good fucking, he said ‘That’s coming.’ And that’s when he said I had to stay behind when they all went off to race.”

Nova leaned back. “I really don’t know what to tell you, girl. On one hand, he’s your boyfriend and he’s hurt and you want to comfort him and on the other hand he was a total asshole to you and you really need to rid yourself of him.” She pointed her finger at me. “You should never have gotten involved with him in the first place.”

I held my head in my hands. “No lectures, please.”

Before Nova could say anything else, the doors to the restaurant slammed open and Nova and I jumped. Melvin shouted, “Gearhead! The bitch is in here!” Gearhead slammed the doors again, followed by Spike.

Slamming his fist on the table, Gearhead growled, “Where were you, bitch! You left the parking lot!”

“And someone smashed our cooler!” snarled Spike.

Jeff and Tank rose in unison to stand behind me. His sudden scared eyes betrayed Gearhead’s bravado.

Gearhead straightened himself to his full height and sneered, “You tough guys don’t scare me. I have a message from Bobby to give this bitch.”

In a low, growling voice, Jeff said, “If you hurt her, I’ll break your arms.”

Gearhead laughed. “Tough guy tough talk! You won’t do nothin’ because you’ll get suspended.”

Tank actually cracked his knuckles. “It’ll be worth it.”

Spike sneered, “You gonna let him talk to you like that?”

Gearhead glared at Spike. “Shut up.” He then turned to me. “Now listen up, bitch and listen good. You failed Bobby. You were supposed to ride with him and bring him good luck!”

Nova jumped up and shouted, “She would have been killed if she’d been in that car!

Jeff’s hands on my shoulders prevented me from standing. I shouted, “It’s not my fault he crashed!”

Pointing a grimy finger at me, Gearhead shouted, “It was your fault! If you’d been there, there would have been enough delay getting you in the car that the car he hit would have already crossed the intersection.”

I wanted to slap the shit out of Gearhead so bad, but Jeff had a tight grip on my shoulders. I shouted, “You don’t know that! It’s not my fault!”

Gearhead ignored me and said, “The bottom line little girl is that Bobby is done with you. And that includes the dance. He can’t depend on you so he has no use for you.” Wow. He’s willing to lose all that money that he bet. Well, he was going to lose it anyway.

Red and blue lights started flashing through the restaurant’s windows as a police car pulled up outside.

I scowled at the police car. “Now what?”

Bobby’s minions tried to hurry out the door. One of the cops coming in through the door turned to Gearhead and said, “Where do you think you’re going, son? Percy, right? Just stay right here.”

Gearhead looked nervous and cleared his throat. “Yes, sir.”

One of the police officers said, “We’re looking for a girl. We were told she might be here.” He pointed at me. “You fit the description. Are you the girlfriend?”

Not trying to be a wise-ass, I asked sincerely, “Whose girlfriend?”

The police officer frowned. “Don’t be a wise-ass, little girl. Are you Robert Fairchild’s girlfriend. Ronnie Sanders?”

I nodded. “Yes. I am she.” I hoped that was correct grammar.

The cop said, “Let me see some ID.” Oh my God! I can’t let him see my driver’s license! It says I’m MALE! That would be a disaster! I very subtly pushed my purse under the table with my foot over to Nova.

“I don’t have it with me, officer,” I lied. “I left my house so quickly, I didn’t bring my purse.” Okay, that was true enough about leaving too quickly.

Gearhead said pointing, “That’s her, officer.” Jeff massaged the back of my neck with his thumb.

The cop looked at Gearhead with annoyance. “I’d like to have some ID, but were you at the race tonight Miss Sanders?”

“No sir.”

The officer jotted down a note. “So you did not witness the accident?”

“That is correct, officer.”

Gearhead folded his arms. “I told you that much.”

Looking from me to Jeff then back to me, the officer asked, “Isn’t it customary for the girlfriend to ride in the passenger seat during a race?”

“I really don’t know,” I said. “I’ve never been to one of these races before.” That was no lie.

The police officer handed me a card. “Well, Miss Sanders, if you have any additional information for us, just call me at that number.”

I smiled sweetly at the cop as I took the card. “Oh, I will, officer.”

The officer touched the brim of his cap. “Good evening everyone.” The two cops turned and left. I heaved a sigh of relief as I fully expected to be taken to the police station.

Gearhead started to say something to me. Tank just growled, “Get lost, Percy.” Gearhead and the other two turned and left.

I dropped my arms to my sides and let out a huge sigh. “Oh my God! This has been a horrible night!”

Nova took my hands. “At least you’re done with Bobby. And don’t you dare feel guilty about his wreck.”

I closed my eyes and rested my head against Jeff’s hand. I looked over at Nova. “What time is it?”

Nova looked at her phone. “Eleven-forty-two.”

I groaned. “Shit. Mom’s gonna kill me.”

*          *          *

Fortunately, Mom didn’t kill me. Nova, Jeff and Tank all came with me to explain to Mom exactly how the cow ate the cabbage. She was far more upset with Bobby for wanting to put me in danger and was glad I had told him no. She felt sorry for what happened to Bobby, but was happy I wasn’t going to be seeing him anymore. She never liked him anyway. I was expecting it, but I didn’t even get grounded. She was more glad I didn’t get dead.

Gearhead and Spike were arrested for underage drinking and DUI after they had gone back to the old parking lot and retrieved what was left of the beer and dumped it in the back seat of their car. And trying to drive home while holding an open can while driving.

“Hey Ronnie!” called out Nova as I approached the school. “What? No micro miniskirts today?” I was wearing jeans.

I shook my head. “Nope. My mom would kill me if she had to come pick me up again for another dress code violation.”

Nova chuckled. “I’m surprised you’re still alive after being killed so much by your mom.”

Frowning at her, I exclaimed, “This never used to happen until I became a cheerleader!”

Laughing, Nova said, “Isn’t being a girl exciting?”

I just looked at Nova for a few moments. I asked, “Except for you, nobody remembers I was ever a boy. I don’t get it.”

Her eyes bright, Nova giggled, “Because Ronnie the boy was boring and forgettable. Now you’re gorgeous and every boy wants date you.”

I frowned. “I’m not sure if that’s any better.”

Tank came running up to us, grinning. “Hey girls. Did you hear about Gearhead and Spike?”

Nova asked, “Besides being picked up by the cops? I had no idea they were so stupid. Or maybe I did.”

Tank said, “Anyway, they both got a three day suspension. So they’re out the rest of the week.”

I sighed. “Too bad it wasn’t the rest of the year. How many times did they call me ‘bitch’ last night?”

Nova chuckled. “I lost count. Oh, has anyone heard any news about Bobby?”

I nodded. “Oddly enough his mother called me this morning before I left for school. It’s weird. She gave me an update on his condition. He’s doing fine. Most of his injuries were like him, mostly superficial. They’re just keeping him for observation. Here’s the weird part. She told me to stay away from her son because he shouldn’t be dating little girl middle school students anyway. You know, I’m tired of everyone calling me a little girl. I don’t look like a middle school kid do I?”

Nova and Tank both said “Yes,” in unison.

Tank shrugged. “Maybe if you’d grow some tits… Just sayin’.”

Nova nodded. “Breasts would definitely help.”

I rolled my eyes at them. “Maybe I can grow some before lunch. But standing out here we’re all going to be late for our first class. See you guys later.”

It was a strange journey to my first class as kids, both boys and girls, would stop talking or start whispering when I approached. I heard fragments of whispers. I couldn’t believe it.

“She broke up with her boyfriend while he was dying in the ER. Bitch.”

“I wish I could have a rich boyfriend. She’s such a bitch.”

“I heard a rumor that she’s really a dude.” “Bullshit. Don’t you think the football team would have noticed when they fucked her?”

“I can’t believe she’d dump him right when he needed her love the most. What a bitch.”

“So she’s available?”

“She must be really dumb to have gotten involved with such douche.” “Well duh! She’s blonde and a cheerleader.”

“I’d do her.” “Dude! She’s what? Thirteen?” “Hey, if there’s grass on the field, I say play ball!”

“A couple football players told me she has a really tight pussy.”

When I got to my class, I practically collapsed into my seat. Holy hell. Several girls in class looked scornfully at me. A few boys grinned at me. I felt as if I had a spotlight on me. It’s ridiculous!

On my way to my second class, I was still hearing the same damnable whispers as before. And then I spotted Bat. I ran up to him jabbing an accusing finger into his chest.

“Just stop already!” I shouted at him. “Is it ever going to be enough for you?”

Looking taken aback, Bat replied angrily, “What are you talking about, Ronnie? I’ve done nothing to you!”

“Are you going to tell me you aren’t going around spreading rumors that I broke up with Bobby on his death bed and that the football team says I’m a great fuck?”

“I’m not making up any shit about you!” exclaimed Bat. “I did that one day because it just seemed funny. What I wanted to do was… well, never mind. But I am not spreading rumors about you. You had something unusual happen to you so naturally people are talking. But it’s not me.”

“How can I believe you?” I demanded.

Bat walked up to me, almost nose-to-nose and said in a low voice, “Because Mister Sanders, I could ruin you right now. But I don’t.” He turned and walked away.

My blood ran cold as he walked away. He’s right. He could destroy me in a heartbeat.

*          *          *

When I exited the lunch line, I saw a different group occupying the table where the street rod group used to sit. Steph saw me and waved at me. I hurried over to the cheerleader table.

As I sat down, Maggie said, “I heard you had quite a night last night. Are you okay?”

I nodded as I opened my juice bottle. “Yeah. I’m okay. A bit shaken is all.”

Nova gave me a hard look “I’m just glad you’re not dead.”

Susan said, “Yeah. It’d be hard to get a new cheerleader this late in the season.”

Nova opened her mouth to say something, but I held up my hand. “Spare me the lectures you guys. I know I was stupid. I’ve learned my lesson. No more bad boys for me.”

Nova grinned. “Actually, I was just going to ask you to pass the salt. But I’m glad you wised up. I was worried we’d have to have an intervention with you.”

Steph looked up. “Well crap. Not her again.”

Olivia walked right up to me and put a hand on my shoulder. “Honey, I just wanted to say how very sorry I am about your boyfriend. It’s just terrible how bad things happen to such good people. Give him a kiss for me, okay?” She smiled at me and turned to walk back to Jeff.

I stared angrily at my salad. “How can Jeff stand her?” I growled.

Nova just stared at me a moment. “How could you stand Bobby?”

I took a bite of my salad. “Touché.”

*          *          *

As I walked in the door, Mom was sitting on the couch with her back to me. “I’m making dinner tonight!” I announced as I closed the door.

Without turning around, Mom asked, “Chicken fried steak?"

I laughed as I set a box down on the coffee table. “Pizza!” I tossed my jacket on the floor and ran into the kitchen for a couple cans of soda. On return, I sat next to Mom.

“I’m really sorry about my behavior the past week or so. I must be the worst daughter ever.” I said with a deep sigh.

Mom opened the box and removed a slice. She said, “No. That honor still goes to your sister. But you’re a close second.”

As I got a slice of pizza, I asked Mom, “You knew I was making a mistake. Why didn’t you stop me?”

Mom frowned at me. “Oh, it’s my fault now? But honey really. If I had said anything, you would have complained how I was ruining your life and you just would have been more attracted to him. If I said you couldn’t see him, that’d just push you towards him. I didn’t realize he’d put you in physical danger like that. Otherwise, I knew you’d get tired of him. Guys like him get tiresome quick.”

“The thing is, I feel like such a schlemiel for not visiting him in the hospital. He broke up with me so he’s not actually my boyfriend anymore, but I still feel bad.”

Mom took a bite of her pizza. “I recommend not seeing him. Just when you think you’re out, he’ll just drag you back in. He’ll guilt you. He’ll make you feel like the worst person and then start telling you how to make it up to him. Then he has you again. Resist, Ronnie. Unless you want to return to being his girlfriend, resist the urge.”

I just stared at the pizza box. “You’re right. He’d just suck me right back in.”

Mom looked over at me. “You’re young, Ronnie. You’re just sixteen. Don’t get hung up on any one boy.”

*          *          *

After finishing my business, I was checking my make-up and hair in the girls room when Maggie entered. Today was much better than yesterday. No glares or evil looks or whispering. I looked sideways in the mirror at Maggie.

“Hey Mags. What’s up?” I asked, feeling in much better spirits than I have lately.

Maggie grinned at me. “Hey Ronnie. Have you heard the news about your boyfriend?” Maggie had to ruin my mood.

“Maggie, he’s not my boyfriend anymore,” I sighed. As I turned to look back in the mirror to freshen my lipstick, I asked, “But what about him?”

Stepping up next to me to check her make-up, Maggie said, “He was released from the hospital last night. The rumor mill has it that he’s been suspended, which isn’t surprising. So it looks like he won’t be taking you to the dance.”

Dropping my lipstick back into my purse, I said, “I wasn’t going to the dance with him anyway.”

Looking directly at me, Maggie said, “Well, rumor has it that you got down on your knees and begged forgiveness and pleaded that he take you back.”

I burst out laughing. “That’s a good one. But no. That would never happen in a gazillion years.”

Maggie turned and looked wistfully into the mirror. “But he’s rich and so good looking.”

I touched Maggie’s hand. “Promise me you won’t chase after him. Please? It’s not worth it.” I doubt I could talk her out of it once smitten. I didn’t listen.

Maggie rolled her eyes and frowned. “Like he’d be interested in me. You’re beautiful. Every boy wants you.”

“I really doubt that. Just don’t go near Bobby. He’s bad news,” I said sincerely. “I need to get to class.” I hurried out of the rest room.

Later that morning, Nova and I entered the cafeteria at the same time. After greeting, I said, “Keep an eye on Maggie. She’s gotten googelie-eyes about Bobby.”

Nova sighed heavily. “We need to nip that in the bud. But is it true you were begging Bobby to take you back.”

“No!” I said quickly. “That is most definitely not true.” I picked up a salad and a bowl of banana pudding.

As Nova reached for her salad, she said, “You know he already has a new car. Sexier than that last one.”

“Oh wow,” I exclaimed. “That was quick. I got to ride in his car. It was really nice.”

Nova gave me a knowing grin. “Did it turn you on?”

I frowned at Nova, but said, “As a matter of fact, it did.” She giggled.

Maggie was already at the table when Nova and I set our trays down.

“Hey Maggie,” greeted Nova. “I think we’re going to need to talk.”

Maggie looked over at me and scowled. “You just had to shoot off your mouth, didn’t you? Look. Chasing Bobby was just a daydream. No way am I dumping my boyfriend for Bobby. Okay? Are we clear, little miss busybodies?”

Nova frowned. “We care. Sorry. We almost lost Ronnie. Next time we might not be so lucky.”

Steph and Susan sat down together. Steph looked over at me and said, “Is it true you’re back with Bobby?”

I shook my head. Frowning at Nova, I said, “I’m going to hear this crap all day, aren’t I?”

Susan asked, “Is it true you and Bobby got married last night?” She then laughed.

Steph lightly punched Susan’s shoulder. “Don’t make fun of me!”

The rest of the day was mostly uneventful. Practice went great. Looks like we’ve nailed our skit for tomorrow’s pep rally. Everyone is excited guessing who will be announced homecoming queen at tomorrow night’s game. Nova really hopes it’s not her. And everyone’s talking about the dance on Saturday.

As I walked out of the girls gym that afternoon, I was surprised by seeing someone sitting on the floor of one of the empty halls. I couldn’t be sure, but the person on the floor kinda looked like Gary. I turned down the hall to see.

As I got closer, I could clearly see it was Gary, sitting slouched on the floor. He had his eyes closed and his head hanging. He definitely looked sad about something. He had to have heard my footsteps, but he didn’t look up.

Without being invited, I sat on the floor next to him. I pulled my knees up and rested my arms across them. “Gary? Is everything okay?”

He opened his eyes to slits and looked over at me, then closed his eyes again. “Hey Ronnie. No. Everything sucks. You can leave now.”

“What’s going on? You’re the last person I’d ever expect to see unhappy.”

Eyes still closed, Gary said, “You can’t help. So just go away.”

“I’m not leaving until you tell me what’s wrong,” I said earnestly. “Let me help.”

Gary opened his eyes and turned to scowl at me. “Geez, girl. Just because you’re beautiful doesn’t mean every guy is just going to roll over for you. I don’t want to talk about it.”

Glaring at him, incensed, I said, “Fine! You’re a friend. I just wanted to help. Excuse the hell out of me.” I started to stand up.

Gary suddenly put his hand on my knee. “No. Wait. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean that. Please stay.”

I eased back down on the floor. “Of course, Gary. But what’s going on?”

He grunted a sour laugh and looked over at me. “My world just came crashing down on me.” He paused a moment, then continued. “The girl I was taking to the dance, the girl I was so proud to call mine…told me to get lost and that she never intended to date me. Apparently I’m Mr. Inbetween. She’d just broken up with her last boyfriend when I started talking to her at Taco Bueno where she used to work. Now she’s found the guy of her dreams and dumped me. She even returned the dress she’d gotten from my aunt’s dress store. It reminded her of me.”

“Oh Gary. I’m so sorry,” I said sincerely. “What an awful thing to do to you and right before the dance, too. I didn’t know your aunt even owned a dress store.”

Gary shook his head. “She’s just a manager there. Blair’s Bridal. It’s the same store Olivia got her dress from. But my aunt put aside the most beautiful dress for the girl I was going to find to take to the dance. She even gave her a discount and everything.”

“What an ungrateful bitch!” I exclaimed. “I’d never lead a boy on like that!”

Squinting at me, Gary asked, “What about Bobby?”

“That’s different.” I said flatly. “What does this dress look like?”

Gary shrugged. “I dunno. It’s a dress. Why?”

Grinning, I said, “I want to see how I look in it.”

Gary looked confused. “I thought you weren’t going. Since Bobby’s out, who’s taking you to the dance?”

I smiled broadly at Gary. “You are!”

*          *          *

“Hey Nova. Guess what?” I squealed into the telephone.

There was a pause before Nova said, “You got back with Bobby?”

“No! No way. Get serious.” I said in disgust.

Laughing, Nova said, “I have no idea.”

“I’m going to the dance after all!” I almost shouted.

“Oh cool!” exclaimed Nova. “Do you want Tank and me to pick you up Saturday?”

“Actually, my date is going to pick me up.” I said.

Sounding surprised, Nova asked, “You have a date to the dance? Anyone I know?”

I nodded uselessly at the phone. “Yes. Gary!”

Nova sounded confused at first. “Gary? That goofball?”

“Yeah, he’s a goofball, but he’s also kinda nice when you get to know him,” I said just a little annoyed.

I then explained about what happened to his girlfriend and the dress.

Sounding shocked, Nova said, “She’s giving you the dress?”

“Yep,” I said. “As the store manager, it’s her discretion. She was at first going to give me a fifty percent discount, but after she saw how happy this was making Gary, she decided just to pay for it herself.”

“Can I come over and see it?” Nova asked anxiously.

“I’m having it altered,” I said. “She said I’m a small girl. My mom will pick it up tomorrow afternoon.”

“Aww. “I won’t get to see it until the day of the dance,” complained Nova.

I sighed. “Me either.”

“Oh!” exclaimed Nova. “Have you made an appointment with a salon yet? For your hair, make-up and nails?”

I shrugged. “No. I kinda figured it was too late to get an appointment.”

“I’ll call my salon first thing in the morning, before the pep rally and make sure they fit you in. What color is your dress?” Nova was about to go nova I think.

“It’s red,” I said. “Very red.”

Nova said, “I’ll let them know. They try to match or compliment your make-up for your dress. Okay, girl. I need to go. I’m so glad you’ll be at the dance! See you at the pep rally!” She disconnected.

*          *          *

The cheerleaders were all already in the field house getting the skit ready for the pep rally. My attention got re-directed when the band started to enter the field house. I waved at Gary when I saw him walk in holding his trombone. As he was placing his music on the stand in front of his chair, I walked up and touched his hand.

“Hey Gary,” I said with a grin.

Gary smiled back. “Hey babe.” He turned to his fellow trombone players and whoever would listen and said, “Guys, please take note that I’m now dating a cheerleader. Not just A cheerleader, but the cutest one.”

One of the boys whose hair hung down over his eyes and his pimple farm was having a bumper crop grinned. “Kewel. The Gar-meister rules.”

Looking confused, another of his friends asked, “How the hell did you manage to steal her from that asshole Far-twat?”

A girl holding a clarinet turned around and shook her head at me. “You dumped one of the cutest boys at school to date this dweeb?” She then smirked at me, “Well, you are a cheerleader.” Several girls in the clarinet section laughed

Gary pointed his horn at the clarinet girl and a loud Blat! sound came out of it.

Shaking his head, Gary said, “Don’t listen to them. They’re just jealous! Oh. And my aunt said there’ll be no problem finishing the alterations after lunch. She’ll call your mom when it’s ready.”

A French horn player behind Gary looked at me and exclaimed, “You got your dress from Blair’s? They’ve got the cutest dresses.” She then frowned. “And the most expensive.”

Gary smiled wide and said, “I spare no expense for my girl!”

I chuckled and said, “She gave it to you.”

The French horn girl and few others giggled.

Looking serious, Gary inclined his head towards me. “Ronnie, you gotta learn to play ball with me, okay?”

Students began filing into the field house. To Gary I said, “It’s show time. I need to get back to the squad.”

Gary grinned and said, “Go out there and break a leg!”

I turned back to Gary and exclaimed, “I won’t be able to dance on Saturday!”

Gary frowned. “Okay. Don’t do that.” He pointed at clarinet girl. “Break her leg.” I laughed and turned to run back to the other girls.

After the football players were seated, the principal made a few general announcements. She then announced a reminder of the dance Saturday night at the ballroom of the posh Gildersleave’s Hotel and the winner of the homecoming queen contest will be announced at half-time at tonight’s game. Us, the band and the football team marched through the halls twice. And to everyone’s surprise, Tank didn’t try to run off with any girls under his arms.

As we sat down with our lunch trays, Nova looked down the table at the other girls and said, “Ladies, I’d say we totally nailed it at the pep rally. Coach said we did great. And Tank told me that spirits are high on the team. Everyone is very positive about the game tonight. Everyone’s hopeful we’ll make it to state this year.”

Susan said, “Well, we still haven’t played D-Goggins High yet.”

Nova sighed. “Don’t hit me with them negative waves, girl.”

Steph looked up. “Speaking of negative waves…”

“Hey girls!” exclaimed Olivia. Looking at Nova she said, “I may not have time later, so I wanted to go ahead and say condolences for losing the homecoming queen title. Better luck next year. Tah.” She turned to walk over to the team’s table to sit next to Jeff.

Maggie shook her head. “She’s such a bitch.”

Cindy, who is usually pretty quiet asked, “So Nova. Are you wearing your dress tonight for the announcement?”

Nova chuckled. “Nope! I get to stay in my uniform. I’m not walking across that turf in heels!”

*          *          *

Steph nudged me between cheers. “I don’t know if you care, but Bobby is in the student section.”

I shrugged. “I’m not going to go talk to him. It’s funny, he can afford to buy tickets on the fifty, but he’s in the free student section. And you’re right. I don’t care.” Would I be able to resist him? I certainly hope so.

Coach Martin clapped her hands to get our attention. “Girls! We’re coming up on half-time. Get everything together now that we need for the boys to run through at the start of the second half. We won’t have time after the homecoming queen announcement. Nova! Go grab Tank and get in line with the other contestants. Now, girl!”

Tank was Nova’s escort. He didn’t have to wear a tux as he was already wearing his uniform, same as Nova. Game-wise, everyone was on edge with the score zip to eleven. We had the zip. I felt sorry Trace and the other players. I’m sure the coach was really jumping on their case.

The squad gathered on the sideline opposite from where Nova and Tank was standing in the lineup. Two other members of the football team as well as Jeff were escorts as well. I bet the coach just hated that. Olivia was posing like a movie star.

The principal walked out onto the field along with two girls from the homecoming committee, and last year’s queen. The girls were decked out in evening dresses while the principal actually wore an evening gown. The noisy stadium quieted down to a dull roar.

The principal lifted her microphone and said, “May I have everyone’s attention, please? In just a moment I’ll be announcing the lovely young lady who will be crowned our new homecoming queen. But first I want to thank tonight’s sponsors, Gildersleave’s Hotel and Taco Bueno.”

She then announced the two runners up. The first name was a girl from the dance team. Her escort was some guy no one on the squad knew who he was. The next name got a big cheer from the squad. It was Nova! The squad jumped and shouted and Nova had a huge grin on her face. The football team would have cheered, but they were all somewhere getting yelled at by the coach.

The principal waited for the applause for Nova to settle down. She said into the microphone, “And now, the moment we’ve all been waiting for. It is my honor and pleasure to announce the winner for this year’s homecoming crown, Miss Olivia Bergmann!”

Applause erupted in the stands as Olivia stepped forward to receive a bouquet of roses from the principal. Last year’s winner stepped up to place the crown on Olivia’s head. Since we all knew Olivia was going to win, Nova had told the squad to show good sportsmanship and cheer her win, which we did. I don’t think anyone paid any attention to her short acceptance speech.

I did look up when they allowed Jeff to say a few words as well. Jeff grinned and simply said, “That’s not the only win you’ll see tonight!” That brought a big cheer from the stands. It was actually bigger than what Olivia got. The squad was jumping and cheering.

And we won. By two points.

*          *          *

I was shocked when Trace picked me up and put me on his shoulders, after Tank had done the same to Nova. We gathered near the student section for all the players and the squad and dance teams to sing the alma mater and fight song to the dwindling crowd at the stadium. The local media got video of the several players with cheerleaders on their shoulders while we cheered. Everyone was psyched. I wanted to hug Gary, but the band was already loading their bus.

I was taken aback when I saw a lone figure in the stands. Bobby was glaring at me with his arms folded. I tried to ignore him.

We were finally unloaded in the school parking lot. I ran up excitedly to Gary and hugged him.

“Did you want to go to Rosa’s with the rest of the gang?” I asked after I kissed him.

“Of course!” grinned Gary. “Do you want to ride with me or your friends?”

I laughed. “With you, silly.”

He took my hand and led me across the parking lot to his Kia. Okay, so it’s not a nine hundred horse power muscle car. It still got us over to Rosa’s.

When we entered the restaurant, it was already loud and rowdy. Nova waved us over to their table. I noticed Jeff and Olivia weren’t there.

Tank reached out and shook Gary’s hand. Tank totally dwarfed Gary

Laughing, Tank said, “So you’re the one who stole Ronnie’s heart, eh? You better take care of that little girl.”

Gary didn’t shrink back. Grinning, he said, “Oh, I’m going to.”

Nova was about to say something when she glanced to one side with concern on her face. A hand suddenly came down on Gary’s shoulder.

“Get lost, asshole! That’s my girl.” I turned to see Bobby with Lumpy behind him for support. He had several recent scratches marring his gorgeous face. Glaring at me, Bobby shouted, “Get up, Ronnie. You’re my girl. You’re coming with me!”

I put my hand on Gary’s hand and coldly said, “I’m not your girl, Bobby. You dumped me, remember? And your mother dumped me. Just go away.”

Bobby shook his head. “Those were mistakes. You’re my girl and I’m taking you out of here.”

Gary stood up and calmly said, “I’m sorry, bucko. But Ronnie is my date tonight.”

Bobby raised his fist and took a step towards Gary. Bobby growled, “You little…”

Every member of the team stood along with Tank and took a step towards Bobby. The blood quickly drained from Lumpy’s face.

Not backing down, Gary said, “You heard the lady.”

Bobby looked from Gary to me to Tank and back to me. “I’ll see you tomorrow at the dance.”

Nova said, “We’ll have security deny you entrance.”

Bobby looked at Nova and laughed. “My dad owns the Gildersleave’s hotel.” He laughed again as he turned and left.

Nova looked at me and said, “Well shit.”

*          *          *

“Have you tried on your dress yet?” asked Nova over the phone.

“Oh yeah!” I exclaimed. “It fits great. Mom had to help me zip it up in the back.”

Nova laughed. “That’s great. Talk about the last minute! I’ll be over this afternoon at two to take us to the salon. We’re getting the works. I hope you can help me out on that.”

I leaned back into my chair at my desk. “No problem. Mom’s already agreed. Hand me the receipt and Mom will pay half.”

There was a pause and then Nova said, “Are you excited? This is your first real dance as a girl.”

I laughed. “This is my first real dance period. And yes! I’m very excited. And I don’t even know how to dance.”

“I doubt Gary knows how either!” chuckled Nova.

“I am worried about Bobby showing up. It’s not like we can just toss the owner’s son out.” I said feeling genuinely nervous.

Nova said, “Actually, I called the manager of the hotel this morning. He assured me that no one, not even Bobby will be allowed to disrupt the dance.”

“That’s pretty ballsy, Nova,” I exclaimed.

Nova sighed. “We have to make sure you’re protected.”

Annoyed, I said, “I know I’m on the petite side, but I’m not some helpless delicate flower than needs constant protection.”

In a serious voice, Nova said, “Seriously, Ronnie, you really are. If Bobby shows up today and carries you home and discover you’re not quite the girl he expected, that’d be pretty much the end of all of us. You, me, Coach Martin, the principal, Jeff and Tank. And now Gary as well. We have a tight little conspiracy here that could unravel very quickly.”

I frowned at the phone. “I guess I just won’t go to the dance. Too dangerous.”

With a groan, Nova said, “You’re going to the dance. Just don’t go home with Bobby.”

“Can I resist him?” I asked. “I still have a thing for him.”

“How can you say that?” exclaimed Nova. “You have a cute new boyfriend who genuinely likes you. Just forget Bobby, okay? Okay?”

“Okay! Sheesh.”

Nova chuckled. “See you around two-ish.” She disconnected.

*          *          *

“Why are you so nervous?” asked Nova. “You’ve been to this salon before.”

I shrugged. “I dunno. It just seems weird for a guy to go to a beauty parlor.”

Nova gave me a curious look. “What guy are you taking in there?”

I pointed at my very flat chest. “Me.”

Nova smirked and waved her hand dismissively. “I thought you were serious for a moment. Now get your butt out of my car and let’s go get beautiful.”

The woman behind the counter smiled as we entered. “Good afternoon, ladies. You’re just a bit early for your appointments. Give the girls about five more minutes and then they’ll be ready for you.”

After a few minutes wait, we were called back to that girls only sanctuary. I got the same woman as last time. I knew what to expect this time as my neck was bent back more than it should so my hair could be washed.

Flashing a big smile, she said, “It’s only been a month or so since your last visit but your hair has started to grow out. Do you want to keep the length?”

I couldn’t nod with my head bent back into the sink so I just said, “Yes. I’m trying to grow it out.”

“Well, you really don’t have to try. It grows out all on it’s own.” She giggled.

As before, I thoroughly enjoyed the pampering and attention I received. I love having my hair being tended to while I sit and relax. And then there’s the make-up. There’s no way I could accomplish all the shaping and contouring and whatever the hell else they’re doing to my face. And it still didn’t really feel heavy.

Nova had finished before me and was waiting in the lobby when I came out. She stood up with an ear-to-ear grin when she saw me. I was a bit taken aback when I saw her. I’ve always felt that she was very cute but now she was an incredible beauty.

She walked up to me and exclaimed, “Oh Ronnie! You’re absolutely gorgeous! And I love what they did with your hair. You look just amazing!” One thing I wasn’t sure about when they told me what they were going to do, was the red lipstick. I always considered red to be a bit too bold for me. And this lipstick was certainly bold. They told me it’s smudge proof. I guess I’ll find out.

I smiled, afraid my make-up would just crack and fall off. “You look fantastic yourself, Nova. I don’t think our boyfriends deserve us.”

Nova laughed. “Don’t you just love being a woman?”

I nodded. “I have to admit I do.”

Nova dropped me off at my house a short time later. As I entered the house, I shouted, “Mom! I’m home! Come take a look!”

When Mom came into the living room, she almost stumbled. “Ronnie! Oh my God. Just look at you! You’ve transformed into a beautiful young woman!” She walked up and gave me a big hug, being careful not to disturb my make-up.

“Thank you, Mom.” I said as we hugged.

Mom loaned me her dangly earrings and necklace. I used a little of the perfume she’d given me a few weeks ago. About a half hour before I expected Gary to arrive, Mom helped me into my dress. I slipped on my matching, red strappy high heel sandals and picked up the matching clutch purse.

I pirouetted in front of Mom. “How do I look?”

Mom was almost in tears looking at me. “You’re stunning, Ronnie. My little girl is all grown up.” Not sure when she considered me her little girl, but I wasn’t going to say anything. I have to admit that I’d never felt so feminine before.

The doorbell rang and I froze. “Oh my God, Mom! He’s here!”

Mom said, “Just relax, honey. I’ll get the door.”

She opened the door and Gary stood in the doorway, looking quite handsome in his rented tux. He said, “Hello, Mrs. Sanders. I’m here to pick up Ronnie.”

Mom opened the door wider. “Please come in.”

Gary took a few steps into the house and stopped dead in his tracks with the strangest expression on his face. “Ronnie. You’re the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen,” he said with sense of awe. “You look amazing!”

Embarrassed, I said, “Thank you, Gary. You look very handsome.” And he combed his hair!

Gary was holding a plastic box. He walked up to me. He strangely seemed nervous. He opened the box and said, “This is for you.” It was a beautiful wrist corsage made of pink carnations. I smiled at him as he slid it on my wrist.

Gary reached for my hand. “I guess we should go?”

Mom quickly said, “Not until I get some pictures of you two. Such a lovely couple.”

Gary smiled at my Mom. “And thank you ma’am for allowing me to take your gorgeous daughter to the dance. It is quite an honor for me. It’s obvious where she gets her great beauty from.”

Flattered, Mom said, “Thank you. Have her back home by midnight.” I thought about saying that that was when I turned back into being a boy, but why ruin the moment.

Holding my hand, Gary led me to his car. As he helped into his Kia (which was freshly washed) I noticed a gun metal 4X4 pickup truck rumble by.

*          *          *

Gary found a parking spot not too far from the hotel’s entrance. Ever the gentleman, he opened my door for me and helped me out of the car. Wearing a short dress and high heels is difficult getting in or out of a car without flashing everyone. I was grateful for Gary’s assistance.

Gary took my hand and led me across the parking lot. I couldn’t help but feel that a guy leading you by the hand is a mild way of showing dominance. Gary may not even be conscious of it. I really don’t mind a boy leading me by my hand, but I do feel clearly subordinate.

When we entered the hotel lobby, at first we had no idea where to go. Then we saw the signs pointing the way. The lobby was relatively quiet, but as we approached the ballroom, we began to hear music from the DJ. Does anybody do live bands anymore?

The ballroom wasn’t brightly lit. There were several disco balls hanging from the ceiling. Between the DJ and all the kids, it was very noisy.

Upon entering the ball room, we had to stop at a table by the door. The principal and several teachers were seated where we had to sign in and get a name badge. Gary signed in and it only took a few moments of digging around for one of the teachers to find his name tag.

The teacher helping me looked confused as she looked through her boxes of name tags. “I’m sorry, dear. The only tag close to your name is this boy named Ron Sanders. Is that your brother?”

Well shit!

The principal held out her hand. “Let me see that. I think that’s a mistake. Let me look. Oh! Here it is. A name tag for Miss Ronnie Sanders. Here you go, hon.” She handed me the name tag. She winked at me.

The teacher who had had my boy tag and looked confused. “Why did you have that? I have all the ‘S’ tags.”

The principal shrugged. “Seems we have to have a screw up every year.”

The teacher looked over at the principal. “I don’t recall a screw up last year. Oh well.” She looked back at me. “Enjoy the dance sweetie. That is a very beautiful dress.”

I smiled and said, “Thank you.”

As Gary led me away from the table, I said, “Look for Nova or Tank. She wanted us to sit with them.”

Gary laughed. “If she wasn’t taller than you, I’d think you two were twins the way you do everything together.”

I shrugged. “She’s my mentor. Oh, there she is!” I pointed.

Again, leading me by my hand, Gary led me across the ball room floor to the table Nova and Tank were sitting. I looked around as we approached the table and saw a table set up close to the DJ where the homecoming queen and Jeff were sitting. Giving the devil her due, Olivia did look very regal and Jeff did look very happy.

Nova grinned at me. “Wow, Ronnie. In that dress you look awesome. I’m surprised the hotel isn’t catching on fire you’re so hot.” Tank greeted me and Gary and Gary greeted Tank and Nova.

Gary said, “Lot of people here tonight. Looks like half the football team.”

Tank said, “I think almost all of us said they’d come. The whole squad will be here, right Nova?”

My eyes went wide as a particular couple approached. “Oh my God! I don’t believe it!” I stood up. Not knowing why, Gary stood up as well.

“Bat!” I exclaimed. “This… this is quite a surprise.” Bat was dressed smartly in a tux, which in and of itself wouldn’t be a surprise. It was who he was holding hands with. It was another boy who I had seen around school but didn’t really know, who was also dressed in a tux.

Grinning, Bat said, “Hi Ronnie. Have you met Sam?”

Gary shook hands with both Bat and Sam. Nova just stared in disbelief.

Giggling, I said, “No. Hello Sam. Bat, I never really thought that you were um uh…”

With a grin, Bat said, “Gay? Actually a few weeks back, and Sam knows this so it doesn’t hurt his feelings, I was going to ask you to this dance, but that’s when you fell in love with Jeff. It kinda pissed me off. I know it shouldn’t. I thought I could make you jealous by asking Nova to the dance, but that didn’t work either. Anyway, that opened the door for Sam.”

Gary nudged me and asked, “Since we’re all here, why don’t you explain how Tony got the nick name of Bat Guano?”

I shook my head. “No. I told you before. It’s a stupid story and rather lame.”

Bat grunted a laugh. “No. Go ahead Ronnie. Tell everyone what you did to me.”

I sighed. “Okay. But remember I told you it was lame and stupid. Back in middle school, Tony and I and others of course, we in a school play set in the wild west. Tony was supposed to be the play’s hero and he was set to make a grand entrance. My line was ‘Look! It’s Bat Masterson!’ but for some reason it came out as ‘Look! It’s Bat Guano!’. Which caused the audience as well as everyone on stage to laugh. Remember we were all kids. The name stuck. Poor Tony never forgave me for ruining his big moment. I told you it was stupid.”

Gary chuckled.

Bat folded his arms and asked, “Now that we’ve cleared the air on that, could you please stop calling me ‘Bat’?”

I laughed. “Sure thing Tony. It was kind of silly to keep calling you that anyway.”

Tony bowed slightly towards me. “And I have to say, you are very beautiful tonight. More so than Olivia actually.”

I giggled. “Thank you. But let’s don’t get carried away.”

As Tony and Sam walked away, Gary said, “You’re right. That was lame.”

I whacked Gary’s shoulder with my clutch. “Why don’t you make yourself useful and go get us some punch?”

Gary grinned. “Yes m’lady! Punch coming right up.” He then wandered quickly over to the punch bowl and snacks. Tank was already there doing the same thing for Nova. I sighed and sat down next to Nova.

Nova looked over at Tony and Sam as they mingled with some other friends. “What was all that about with Bat?”

I smiled at her. “Just talking about old times. And we’re calling him Tony now.”

Before she could say anything else, Gary and Tank returned with our punch and a snack. The punch and snack was good, but I was using it to delay getting out on the dance floor. I’ve never tried dancing before. Only once in middle school with a girl. Now I have the reversal which just makes it worse having to dance backwards in heels.

Nova set her punch cup down and said, “Are you ever going to ask me to dance?”

Gary pretended to adjust his bow tie and said, “May I have this dance?”

Nova laughed. “Not you!” She punched Tank in the arm. “This guy. Though save me a place.”

Tank slowly stood up. “Okay, let’s get this chore out of the way.” He touched Nova’s hand. “How about a dance, babe?”

Nova grinned. “How can a girl pass up an invitation like that?”

As Tank and Nova stepped away to get on the dance floor, Gary nodded towards them. He asked, “Would you like to dance? I believe that’s why we’re here.”

I grinned nervously. “Okay. I’ll admit it. I’m scared. I have no idea how to dance.”

Gary nodded. “Me either. But it seems a shame to waste all this music and dance floor.” He stood up and took my hand. “May I have this dance with the most beautiful woman here?”

I smiled weakly at him and stood up. “I would love to.”

Taking my hand, Gary led me out to the dance floor. For a moment, we just stood there while people danced around us.

Gary grinned at me. “I’ve seen this done in the movies. I think you hold my right hand with your left. I put one hand on your waist and you put your other hand on my shoulder. And then we just rock back and forth. Does that work?”

I smiled at Gary. “You’re goofy.”

As we started swaying back and forth, Gary chuckled. “I resemble that remark.” He stared directly into my eyes as his smile broadened. “You really are an exceptional beauty.” I’m still not sure if I’ll ever get used to a boy saying I’m beautiful, but I’m working on it.

After we pretended to dance for a couple of songs, someone stepped up to Gary and asked, “May I cut in?” Gary nodded and stepped aside so the other boy could take his place. That other boy was Jeff.

Jeff grinned at me. “I just had to dance with the most beautiful girl here.”

I smiled at him. “Aren’t you here with Olivia?”

Jeff nodded. “But you radiate an inner beauty no other girl here can match. You look amazing in this dress.” I smiled at him as he drew me a little closer to him. God I miss being held by Jeff. Breathing in his scent and gazing into his eyes.

“My turn!” I looked over to see Trace tapping Jeff’s shoulder.

As Trace took Jeff’s place, he said, “You look great tonight, Ronnie. You should dress this way at school.”

I laughed. “Yeah, right!”

We danced for a song. Trace was actually a good dancer.

And then my arm was gruffly grabbed and I was jerked away from Trace causing me to almost stumble.

“I’m cutting in! She’s my girl anyway!” snarled Bobby as he tightly held my arm. Bobby was dressed in a tux.

“Bobby!” I exclaimed. “Let me go!” Everyone on the dance floor suddenly stopped dancing. The DJ halted the music.

“You’re my girl! You dance with me!” declared Bobby, his eyes flashing.

“I’m not your girl!” I growled. I twisted my arm and managed to escape his grasp.

Bobby tried to grab my hand. “You need to come with me, bitch. I’ve made plans for us.”

Gary, Tank, Jeff and Trace and several boys started to approach us. I waved them back. The last thing I wanted was for anyone to get into trouble by starting a fight over me.

I stared directly into Bobby’s eyes. Coldly, I said, “I know what your plans for me are, you piece of shit. I know all about the bet you made claiming you’d rape me at the dance. Give it up, Bobby. It’s not happening.”

I watched curiously as a middle aged man, flanked by two rather large men dressed in tuxes, walked up and took Bobby by the arm. “Robert. You need to come with me.”

Bobby turned a hateful glare to the man. “Get lost, Wilson! Just wait until I tell my father you interfered with me!” Bobby tugged against the man’s grip.

Wilson said, “Sir, your father instructed me to remove you from the ballroom. Your choice. Walk out with me or suffer the embarrassment of being forcefully removed by security.”

Looking wild-eyed, with nostrils flaring, Bobby looked at the two men standing beside Wilson. He nodded. “Let’s go.”

As Wilson started to lead Bobby away, he turned towards me and shouted, “I’m not done with you!”

Gary has moved behind me and put his arms around me. Jeff stepped up next to me and shouted, “You ever. I mean ever, touch this little girl, you’ll have to answer to all of us.”

As soon as Bobby left the ballroom, Tank turned to the DJ and shouted, “Music, Maestro, please!”

The DJ started playing his music again with the background murmur of people talking about what just happened. Everyone started to resume dancing.

I was shaking. Gary held me tight. Jeff walked up to us. To me he asked, “Are you okay?” I nodded, on the verge of tears. To Gary he said, “Take good care of this little girl. She’s special.”

Gary said, “Oh, I will.”

I said quietly, “Maybe I should just go home.”

Gary shook his head. “And deny me the honor of dancing with the most gorgeous woman at the ball? That would be cruel indeed.” Gary seemed to have a flare for the melodramatic.

I smiled weakly. “I’d love to dance with you, Gary.”

Gary led me out to the middle of the dance floor and he put his hand on my waist and held my other hand and we began to dance. In a whisper, not really talking to Gary, I said, “I should go back to being a boy and being invisible.”

Gary held me closer as we danced. I noticed everyone was clearing a wide space around us on the dance floor. Suddenly we were caught in a spot light. Oh my God. Everyone was watching us dance!

Gary drew me close to him. He whispered in my ear, “Please promise me one thing.”

We stopped dancing and he bent me over and kissed me deeply; a long, toe curling kiss. There was applause around the room. When we came back up for air, I put my arms around his neck.

“Promise you what?” I asked.

Gary grinned at me. “Stay a girl.” He kissed me deeply again.

People started dancing around us as we continued to kiss. We kissed for a very long time.

Okay. I admit. I love being a girl. Well, shit…

*          *          *

The End

up
186 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

And that's a wrap!

Nice finish to the story. Thanks for all the hard work.

Thank You, Melanie

Another good story

Epilogue please

Epilogue…or second book….

Some men are like Bobby

Angharad's picture

Thankfully, most are not and at least she managed to find one and a nice dress - win-win. Thanks, Mel.

Angharad

Nice

erin's picture

Some good character development of Ronnie and others, well except for
Bobby.:)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Wonderful story

So so glad she got away from Bobby.....and yes as someone said a second story for Ronnie and friends would be wonderful

Yeah!

RachelMnM's picture

Ronnie transcends Bobby's idiocy! She got by with a little help from her friends, mom stepped in, and maybe she figured out the guy was a loooooser!

XOXOXO

Rachel M. Moore...

A great ending from Melanie.

Julia Miller's picture

And I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story. The last line was the best,
“Ok. I admit. I love being a girl. Well, shit…”

I can’t wait for your next story!

Encore! Encore!

Dee Sylvan's picture

That was an excellent story Melanie! You had us all on edge with the introduction of Bobby and his bet. He really was an excellent villain. When the whole team rallied around Ronnie at the ball, I think she realized there was no turning back for her moms newest daughter. I echo the others sentiments. What is next for our newly minted heroine? Thanks for posting! :D

DeeDee

Awwww

Alice-s's picture

Ok, it's cheer leaders and school dance, but it has a good tension going and the girl got the nice guy in the end.

Nice ending

So glad that bad things only happened to bad people in this one.

A delightful conclusion!

Wonderful story

The ending line was cute, but the ending seemed rushed. Really enjoyed the story

Happy

Happy ending but seriously more please lol

KateElizabethSuhr13's picture

Ok this is a nice ending to this story for now but like others said I really hope there is a second book. This felt like a first season to a really good show and no one hopes for a good show to end after one season. Really hope you continue but if not thank you for letting us enjoy this ride and experience and loving these characters (well except for that dick Bobby). It was a really good time.

Great story

Great story
Nice to see Ronnie finally stand up to Bobby
I guess Bobby's father doesn't want to lose business
Maybe we will get additional material if and when released on Amazon

10/10

Emma's picture

I can't believe I just read this whole thing in one go. Several hours very well spent. Such a wonderful story.

You really are talented, Melanie.