A Modest Proposal - Part 19

Printer-friendly version

 

A Modest Proposal Part 19
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2023 Melanie Brown


This was supposed to be the final chapter, but it got to be too long so it's been split into two parts - Ed

 


 

“Hey Ronnie.”

“Nova?” I grumbled from my bed. I didn’t even bother to get up to answer the phone. I just grabbed it from my bedside table. “This is a bit early, even for you.”

Nova chuckled. “I know you like to sleep in on Sundays, but I just had to know how your date with Bobby went. Did you survive with your virtue intact?”

I laughed. “Yes. The gates to the holy land were not breached. Although he did try.”

“You’re kidding! Holy shit, girl,” exclaimed Nova. “If he’d gotten into your panties, I think I’d probably be talking to a dead girl right now.”

“I admit it scared me when I felt his hard-on against my panties,” I admitted. “I can’t believe that I was so taken by him that I let him get that close.”

Very seriously, Nova said, “You know that on the night of the dance, you’re not going to be able to stop him. You can say no all you want. He’s bigger and stronger than you and he’ll be determined then.”

I chuckled. “Relax. Don’t be so melodramatic. Nothing will happen because I won’t be there.”

Sounding puzzled, Nova asked, “What do you mean you won’t be there. Homecoming is the biggest dance of the fall. Every girl I know can’t wait to go.”

I rolled over in my bed and pulled my covers up. “I might have gone if Jeff had asked me. Maybe. I don’t even have a dress for it. But knowing what Bobby has planned for me at the end of the dance, no way in hell I’d go. I might not be able to emotionally resist him. Besides, he hasn’t even asked me to go.”

“He hasn’t asked you yet?” asked Nova incredulously. “That’s cutting it kinda short. Especially if you’re waiting to be asked before buying a dress.”

I shrugged though Nova wouldn’t be able to see it. “I don’t know what game he’s playing. He was pretty adamant about his plans for me when he told all us ‘guys’ about it. He has money riding on it.”

Nova laughed. “I know. Tank bet that you’d still have your virginity. Don’t make him lose the bet!”

I laughed seriously. “I have a lot more than money to lose. I think Tank’s money is safe.”

I heard the doorbell ring. Who the hell would be at the door this early? I didn’t get up.

“Well, stick to your guns, girl,” warned Nova.

“Funny how everyone seems to have forgotten I’m a boy.” I said.

Nova sighed. “It’s because you’re a girl.”

I was about to reply when I heard Mom shout from the living room, “Ronnie! You need to get out here!”

I pulled my covers back and said, “Something’s up. I need to go.”

Nova said, “Okay. If I don’t talk to you later, I’ll see you at school.” She disconnected.

I pulled my robe around me and padded out to the living room. I stopped in shock seeing Bobby standing in the door frame. Looking very unhappy, Mom said, “You’re boyfriend’s here.”

I walked up to the door and asked, “Hey Bobby. This is a surprise.” It was then that I saw the two tall laundry baskets stuffed with dirty clothes. “Um… what’s this?”

Bobby didn’t bat an eye. “Hey, I’m in a crunch today. I need you to take care of this laundry for me. I’ll be back at six to pick it up.”

“Bobby!” I exclaimed. “You can’t do this. I’m not your personal Laundromat.”

Pointing a finger at me, Bobby said, “You’re my girl. I need some help with this. So take care of it, okay?” He started to turn to leave, but stopped. “Oh. What color is your dress? I want to get the correct corsage for you. I know girls find that important.”

My eyes went from the baskets back to Bobby. “Dress? You haven’t asked me to the dance. I don’t have a dress.”

Bobby scowled at me. “What are you talking about? You’re my girl. It’s a given you’re going to the dance with me. You need to hurry up and get a dress. I guess I’ll just get a generic corsage. See you at six.” He then turned and ran to his truck.

I shouted, “Bobby! You can’t do this! Bobby!” He jumped into his truck and with a chirp of tires, he was gone. I just stood there, dumbfounded. I grabbed a basket and with a struggle, dragged it into the living room

Mom was standing in the living room, arms crossed. She growled, “This ends. My daughters are not a laundry service for boyfriends. A couple boys tried the same stunt with Janet.”

Extending my arms out, I said, “I’m sorry Mom. I had no idea he was going to do something like this. Can you give me a hand with this?”

Mom shook her head. “He’s your boyfriend, not mine.” She sat on the couch and began watching TV. I groaned and went outside to retrieve the other basket.

I dragged the baskets into the laundry room. I stood there and fumed at them for several moments. I sighed. I needed to get busy. There was a ton of clothes to wash. As I reached into the basket to get started on loading the washer, I groaned again. He hadn’t separated his underwear, shirts, pants and whatever. They were all mixed together. I should just dump it all in and wash together. But I couldn’t bring myself to do that. I emptied both baskets on the floor and started separating the items. I was grossed out by all his underwear having skid marks. Many of his socks had holes in the toes as well as many of his t-shirts had holes in the armpits. I thought about tossing them, but he’d probably yell at me for throwing away his favorite t-shirt or underwear.

I got one load started washing and walked slowly back into the living room where Mom was still watching TV. I plopped down next to her and just stared at the TV. “Mom. I’m never getting married.” She just chuckled.

I spent the rest of the morning and half the afternoon washing Bobby’s clothes. He hadn’t just filled the baskets, he’d stuffed them. I still couldn’t believe he’d do such a thing. Even worse, I couldn’t believe I was actually doing it. Yeah, he’s cute and he’s hot. He treated me nice on our date. And since I knew his ultimate plan for me, there’s no way I could be his girlfriend. So why am I doing his laundry. Janet would say I’m a chump. I let boys walk all over me. Well no more, I said to myself as I carefully folded his laundry before placing it back into the baskets. I’m really a boy so I should assert myself.

I looked at the clock in the laundry room as I folded his shirts. Bobby will be back in a hour to collect his clothes so I should probably go put my make-up on. Well, even as a girl I should assert myself.

After I had completed washing and folding clothes, I dragged the baskets close to the front door. With a deep sigh I sat down next to Mom on the couch to watch some stupid game show.

Mom looked over at me and smirked. “So. When’s the wedding?”

“Moooommm!” I whined. “Don’t be ridiculous! Just because I did a boy’s laundry doesn’t mean I’m going to marry him! I don’t even love him that much. Just like everyone else, it seems you’ve forgotten I’m a boy! Oh God. He’s going to be here soon. I need to put my make-up on. I’ll be right back.”

I ran into the bathroom and quickly smoothed some foundation on and then applied mascara. A little lipstick and that was about all I could do in what little time I had. I ran into my room and slipped on some short shorts and put on my bra. As I slid a t-shirt over my head, I heard the doorbell ring. I ran into the living room.

Mom was starting to get up. I shouted, “I’ll get it Mom!” and ran past her to the door.

I flung the door open and there stood Bobby. Despite the October chill in the air, he was shirtless and glistening with some sweat. I wished he’d stop being taller than me.

He grabbed my hair at the back of my head and bent down to kiss me. “Hey gorgeous. Is my laundry done?”

I nodded and dragged the baskets to the door. “All done.”

He pulled me to him and gave me a smoldering kiss that caused me to feel faint. All the blistering anger I was going to hit him with just melted away. I slid my arms around his neck and we continued to kiss for a few minutes.

We finally separated and Bobby grinned at me. “Thanks honey for doing this. You’re great. I’m sorry for letting my laundry stack up for a couple of weeks like that. Next week it won’t be such a chore.”

I stepped back from him. I looked down at my feet. Still feeling the warmth of his lips, I brought up the courage to say, “Bobby, about that. I’m not your laundry service. I can’t wash your clothes next week. Or any time, really. You gave no consideration about any plans I might have had for today.

He took my hand. “You’re right baby. Next time I’ll call before bringing my clothes over. Oh. I had a few shirts that actually need ironing. Did you…” My scowl cut him off. “Nevermind. I can probably do it.”

“You don’t own me. I’m not just one of your many toys,” I said still scowling.

Nodding, Bobby said, “You’re right, babe. You’re right.” He pulled me to him and kissed me again.” Dammit! Why can’t I resist him?

He pulled away with a grin. “Hey. I was thinking. My parents are out of town this weekend. Maybe you could come over, make dinner and we could get to know each other a little better?”

That just set off all kinds of red flags. Make him dinner? Be alone with him at his house? What kind of girl does he think I am?

“I’m sorry, Bobby. I have to make dinner for Mom and I,” I lied. Sounded plausible. “And I don’t think Mom would let me go over to your house without your parents.” Now that was definitely not a lie.

Bobby looked disappointed. “I guess I can’t assume my girl is always available for me. It’s kinda chilly out here. Thanks for doing my laundry. See you tomorrow at school.”

“Bye, Bobby.” He looked liked he was coming in for another kiss, but I just closed the door. I leaned on the closed door and sighed. “What a nightmare.”

Mom had gotten up and started walked towards her room. “I’m going to take a nap. Wake me up when dinner’s ready.”

Shocked, I said, “Mom! I just said that to make Bobby…” She closed her door.

I wanted to scream.

*          *          *

“You’re kidding?” asked Nova as she, Tank and I all walked up to the school building.

“I know it sounds like a joke, but it’s not,” I exclaimed.

Tank chuckled. “That’s a great idea. I’m going to bring my stinky laundry over to Nova’s house.”

Nova frowned. “I don’t think so.” She then looked over at me and asked, “Did you do it?”

I looked down at my feet. “Yeah. Yeah I did.”

Nova shook her head. “Ronnie, Ronnie, Ronnie! What are we going to do with you? Even if you were going to stay with him I’d tell you not to do that. You’re not staying with him, are you?”

“We’re getting married after the dance,” I said seriously.

Nova’s jaw dropped. “I hope you’re joking.”

Laughing, I said, “Of course I’m joking! And I’m not going to the dance, either.”

Nova stopped us just before entering the school. “Ronnie. You absolutely have to go to the dance! Like I’ve said before, it’s the biggest dance of the fall. You have to go! Even if you don’t have a date, there’ll be no shortage of boys who’ll want to dance with you!”

I grunted. “What makes you think I want to dance with any boys?”

Nova folded her arms and frowned at me. “Am I talking to Ronnie or a pod person? You attract boys like there’s no tomorrow.”

As we entered the school, Nova said, “Oh. I wanted to ask. Did you make dinner for you and your mom?”

I nodded. “I made chicken fried steak. I’m learning a lot in Home Ec. I made a mess in the kitchen, but it tasted great.”

*          *          *

“If a boy had brought me laundry to do,” explained Steph after swallowing the bit of salad she’d speared on her fork, “I would have poured it on the ground and burned it.”

“That’s what you should have done,” agreed Maggie.

I shook my head. “I’d just get a fine by the fire department.”

Nova started to laugh and then the laugh faded as she looked at someone approaching our table.

“Greetings, ladies,” said Olivia pleasantly.

Frowning, Nova asked, “And to what do we owe the honor of your visit?”

Olivia giggled. “I guess it is an honor, isn’t it? Anyway, being the good sport that I am, I came over to wish my fellow contestant good luck on running for Homecoming Queen. I know. It’s rather pointless since I’m going to win. But I wanted to wish you good luck anyway. So ta!” She turned and walked over to another table.

Susan looked around. “Who on the squad is running for Homecoming Queen?” She pointed at me. “Ronnie?” I shook my head.

Leaning back in her chair and looking pissed, Nova said, “Guys, it’s me. Tank put my name in the running.”

Steph grinned. “Well congrats, girl! We’ll all vote for you.”

Frowning, Nova said, “Guys, you don’t have to.”

Maggie said, “We’d rather you win than Olivia!”

Nova laughed. “Ain’t gonna happen, but thanks guys.”

I said, “I’m sure the whole varsity team will vote for you. That’s a lot of votes.”

Cindy looked at me. She asked, “Ronnie, why aren't you running for queen? You’re prettier than N…I mean, you’re pretty.” Nova cast a scowl towards Cindy.

I grinned at Nova. “I don’t want it. I’m not going to the dance.”

Steph exclaimed, “What? Girl, you have to! It’s the biggest event of the fall. Everyone will be there!”

Echoing Steph, Maggie said, “Yeah, you have to!”

A male voice boomed from behind me. “She’s my girl! Of course she’s going! She’s going with me. Aren’t you baby?”

I sighed. “It would seem so.”

Bobby grinned. “Make it so! Hey, catch you later.” It’s against the rules, but he quickly bent down and kissed the back of my neck. He turned and briskly walked away.

Cindy sucked in her breath. “You’re Bobby Fairchild’s girlfriend? Oooh. I didn’t know we had a celebrity among us.”

I folded my arms and glared at Cindy. “Knock it off.”

Nova grinned at me. “Looks like you’re coming to the dance after all.”

I shook my head. “No I won’t. Stakes are too high.”

Catching me in an empty hall after I left the girls’ gym after practice, Bobby slammed his fist into a locker next to my head. “How dare you embarrass me by telling those little bitches on the cheerleader squad that you weren’t coming to the dance!” He got his face very close to mine. His face was very red. “You’re my girl, Ronnie! Of course you’re coming to the dance with me. You can’t wait to dance with me. You got that?”

I started to cry. “You’re scaring me.”

He squeezed my face between his thumb and forefinger as he brought his face close to mine again. “Stop being such a stupid girl!” He then pressed his lips hard against mine. It was an unpleasant kiss. “I’ll talk to you later.” He then angrily walked away from me.

I broke out into tears and slid to the floor crying. Why does he have to be such an asshole?

I heard someone walk up to me and then Steph knelt down next to me. She asked, “Ronnie, are you okay? I saw Bobby yelling at you. Did he hit you? Do you want me to call the school security?”

I shook my head vigorously. Through sobs, I said, “No. Please don’t. Look, it was my fault. I screwed up. It’s okay. Really.”

Steph grimaced at me. “Ronnie, I don’t believe a word you just said. Are you sure you’re okay? If he hit you, I swear to God I’ll turn him in no matter what you say.”

Sniffling, I said, “He didn’t hit me. Honest. Like I said, it was my fault.”

Steph grunted. “I sincerely doubt that. Let me help you up.” Taking my arm, she helped me regain my feet. She opened her purse and handed me a tissue. “Do you want my opinion?”

I just looked at her. I said, “No.”

Steph said, “Well, you’re getting it anyway. Dump him. Ronnie, you’re a small girl and he’s a big guy. He’s going to hurt you.”

I nodded. “So I’ve been told. Steph, thank you so much for your help. But I’m okay. Really. I know what I’m doing.”

Steph sighed. “If you say so. I need to go. Take care of yourself, girl.” She walked away leaving me alone. I should quit the squad and just go back to being the invisible me. This girl shit is just not worth it.

*          *          *

“Girl, you are not quitting the squad,” said Nova firmly. “Especially because of a boy. Just dump him.”

“I know I probably should…”

Nova interrupted. “He made you cry.”

I sighed into the phone. “I know.”

There was a long pause. Finally Nova said, “I’m worried about you, Ronnie. Even if you told him tonight you were through, he’d probably keep on you. Tomorrow, we all leave the gym together.”

I said, “Thanks. But I really don’t think he’ll hurt me.”

“He made you cry.”

“I’ll deal with it,” I said. “I gotta go. Talk to you tomorrow.”

*          *          *

Nova stopped me as I approached the school’s entrance. She hugged me and said, “I have no idea what’s going on in that head of yours. You need to wise up.”

I frowned at her. Why is everyone sticking their nose in my business? “I’m fine. I really am.”

Tank said solemnly, “As much as possible, someone from the team will have their eyes on you.”

Shaking my head, I said, “I appreciate the concern. I’m not some delicate waif that needs constant watching. Really. I’m fine.”

Nova folded her arms and glared at me. “He made you cry.”

Frowning, I replied, “So have you. Look. I know Bobby can be an ass sometimes. But he’s not the monster you make him out to be.”

Tank mumbled, “Speak of the devil…”

I felt an arm go around my waist. “Hey baby!” exclaimed Bobby. “You’re looking hot today. I love those short short skirts.” His hand slipped down to my ass.

“Hey Bobby!” I cooed. “I wore this just for you.” To get out of the house, I’d worn a longer skirt and then removed it and put it in my book bag.

Bobby grinned. “That’s my girl! Hey babe, I need to run. See you at lunch. You’re sitting with me at lunch, remember?”

I smiled at him. “Of course I remember, silly! How could I forget?” This was news to me.

“Later!” He then ran into the school building.

Nova stepped back a bit and glanced over me. “I hadn’t noticed it until just now. Girl, that skirt is going to get you in trouble.”

I dismissed her comment with a wave of my hand. “Nah. Nobody cares.”

*          *          *

“How the hell did you manage to leave the house dressed like that?” demanded Mom after we left the principal’s office. “I had this skirt length problem a few times with your sister. I never imagined I’d have this issue with my SON.”

Hanging my head, I said, “Can you wait until we’re in the car to chew me out?”

Mom glared at me. “Am I embarrassing you?” I nodded. “Good! I think that one boy is a bad influence on you.”

I had told the principal that I had another skirt in my bag. But she insisted on calling Mom to take me home to change. And I got detention as well. Coach Martin isn’t going to like me missing practice.

*          *          *

“I told you,” said Nova as we all headed to the cafeteria. All the squad and most of the football team had gone en masse to vote for Nova for Homecoming Queen. Except Jeff and a couple of his closest buddies. They voted for Olivia. Of course.

“Yeah yeah. I’m a bad girl.” I said as I picked up a tray to put my lunch on.

Nova frowned. “No you’re not. Maybe a stupid girl.”

I shook my head. “Gee thanks.”

Bobby was waiting when we stepped out of the lunch line. He looked upset.

“Where have you been, girl?” demanded Bobby. “I said to meet me for lunch.”

“Sorry, Bobby,” I said as I hung my head. “I’m late because we were voting for Nova.”

Bobby frowned. “Not a good excuse. And why are you wearing jeans?”

Nova flared at Bobby. “She was sent home because her skirt was too short!”

Bobby scowled at Nova. “Nobody asked you, twerp. Come on Ronnie. Let’s sit down.”

I said, “I’m sorry, Bobby. It won’t happen again.”

Bobby smirked at me. “You’re right. It won’t.”

We sat down at a table with his street racer buddies. There were two girls at the table as well. Both wore too much eye make-up and looked like they fixed their hair with hedge clippers. They just kinda sneered at me.

Bobby said, “Hey guys! You all remember my girl, Ronnie? She’s going to start joining us at lunch.” I am?

Lumpy took a bite of his grease burger and while still chewing said, “Cool. It’s about time we add a little class around here.”

One of the girls looked offended. “What? Ain’t we got class?” She looked over at the other girl.

Lumpy suddenly looked worried. He said, “Of course you do, babe.”

Gearhead looked up and said, “Hey Ronster.” Oh great. Now I have a nickname. “Are you coming to the race tonight?”

Bobby reached up and ruffled my hair. “Of course she is. My girl’s going to be my good luck charm.”

“Race?” I asked confused. “I thought that was only on Saturdays.”

Bobby said, “Usually. But we hold special events. And besides, the dance is Saturday. Did you forget already? Anyway, I have to settle a grudge match with some loser from Anna T.” Ah. Anna T. Harrison High School. The other high school in town.

One of the girls I wasn’t introduced to pouted. “But Bobby baby. I thought I was your good luck charm!”

Bobby grinned. “And you were great. But now it’s my girl’s turn.”

“So, what do I do as a good luck charm?” I asked, not really sure but was afraid of the answer.

Bobby looked at me sideways. “Are you really that dumb?”

The previous good luck charm giggled. “Well, she is blonde and a cheerleader.”

Bobby grinned. “That’s very true. Ronnie baby, a good luck charm rides in the car with me during a race.”

While a part of me thought that’d be exciting, I said, “Oh. My mom would never go for that!”

Bobby laughed. “I’m not asking your mom!”

From across the room, I saw the cheerleaders and football team get up to leave the cafeteria. So I swallowed my last bite of salad and started to stand.

Bobby glanced over at me. “Where do you think you’re going?”

As I lifted my tray, I asked, “Didn’t you hear the first bell? Lunch is over.”

Bobby chuckled. “Sit back down. We never leave at first bell.”

Exasperated, I said, “Bobby! My next class is all the way across campus. I need to leave now!”

Frowning, Bobby inclined his head towards the exit. “Go.”

I smiled and said, “Thank you.” I then hurried from the cafeteria. I’m a nervous wreck. I thought dating a bad boy would be fun and exciting. Well, it’s also frightening and I don’t think I like it.

Later that day, I was almost to the girl’s gym when I remembered I had detention. I sighed and turned around and to head towards the cafeteria where all us bad girls are sent at the end of the day.

*          *          *

“You want to help with dinner?”

“Sure, Mom.” I got up from the couch where I was watching, but not really watching TV.

As I washed my hands in the kitchen sink, Mom said, “You seem awfully glum. Is something wrong?”

I nodded. “It’s my boyfriend.”

“What about him?” asked Mom as she handed me a spoon.

I sighed. “Bobby’s a… well, Bobby’s a ‘bad boy’.” I did air quotes when I said bad boy. “My friends warned me, but I thought it’d fun and exciting to date a free spirit; someone who broke the rules. It’s definitely been different.”

Mom looked over at me. “So, did this Bobby person share detention with you this afternoon?”

With a puzzled expression, I asked, “No. Why should he?”

Mom shook her head. “You wore that skirt for him, knowing full well it was against the rules. He wanted it, but he’s not the one who got punished.”

I nodded. “True. I guess I’m just stupid.”

Mom checked whatever it was that was cooking in the oven. “You’re not stupid Ronnie. You’re not the first girl that some man has convinced them to go against their own nature. And you won’t be the last. Even your sister let herself get caught up in some boy’s bullshit. Learn to use the word ‘no’.”

“And if he doesn’t care if you say no?” I asked.

“Then find another boyfriend.”

I just nodded as I continued to stir. I never told Mom about Bobby’s bet on what he planned to do to me at homecoming. I never seriously considered that I was in any actual danger. I was so sure I could just tell him and ‘no’ and walk away and that would be that.

But now. Now I’m not so sure. He orders me around and I do it. I don’t tell him no because I don’t want to make him angry with me. I just feel dumb and useless when he yells at me. I just accept that he’s right to avoid getting yelled at. If I stand up to him, he just gets angry. I was suddenly angry with myself for acting dumb and allowing him to condition me to doing what he wanted just to avoid being yelled at. And he did it so quickly! Knowing the consequences of him learning my true nature, would I still be unable to resist him? Could I resist him? I don’t think I could.

Mom chuckled. “Are you going to stir that one pot all night?”

I smiled weakly. “Sorry. I was just thinking.”

I sighed and took the pot off the heat. I can’t tell Bobby no.

Well, shit.

To be continued...

up
160 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Psychological, verbal, and threats of physical abuse.

In the real world someone with a brain would file charges against Bobby and get a restraining order. In this universe I’m not so sure.

Hopefully Ronnie will find a way to not be in the car during the race when Bobby gets killed.

Not uncommon...

RachelMnM's picture

That want too fit in and losing your internal compass. The story has gotten a little dark. Hopefully her friends can help her bring back to seeing her true inner worth.

XOXOXO

Rachel M. Moore...

Ronnie doesn't realize she is now in an abusive relationship

Julia Miller's picture

Bobbie is already discounting her opinions, shouts at her, insults her, makes demands on her, and makes her feel worthless compared to his needs. Ronnie, you have to get out while you still can.

I had to sit with this one a bit.

Emma Anne Tate's picture

It’s uncomfortable, and that can be good. It makes me think.

At the risk of generalizing, it seems like Bobby is behaving like an abuser who has already got his target locked in and isolated from friends and family. But Ronnie’s whole new social circle is still very much with her, pushing the other way. How has Ronnie become so compliant, after just a couple smooches and squeezes?

It makes me think that Ronnie is entirely overwhelmed, emotionally, by switching from an ignored male to a high-status female. Which . . . is understandable? But if that’s the case, her mother’s hands-off attitude is purely appalling. It’s one thing to let your kids make their own mistakes. It’s another to let them face dangers for which they are wholly and completely unprepared.

When Bobby showed up with his laundry and Ronnie didn’t throw it back in his face, Mom should have intervened and dropped the hammer. Unlike Nova and the squad, her role need not be limited to giving good counsel.

Emma

I agree

Wholeheartedly! A parent should at least say something. She doesn’t see to care about Ronnie. It’s a dangerous world.

The end is in sight

Angharad's picture

I wonder if that includes him finding out that she is a boy physically and what he's going to do about it, I hope Tank intervenes,

Angharad

I think one of the hardest

Aylesea Malcolm's picture

I think one of the hardest things to think about with this chapter is that all of us know someone who has either been on the receiving or the dealing end of emotional abuse. I’ve known someone that her life turned in so many ways because the guy “loved” her but he had an odd way of showing it and if I had the ability I would have walked up to him and try to let him have it. Fortunately, she was able to get away from such a person.
Ronnie is just like any of us could have been as teenagers: to think we know better or that we can “change others” but a lot of times they ended up changing us, lest we come to our senses…but that usually meant the loss of that circle of friends and the social and psychological benefits it gave us. We are, however, a better person for breaking away.
Ronnie also has a support system who knows she is mesmerized by Bobby and they see the bad apple her boyfriend really is. It is my hope, nay, my dream, that when the time comes the football and cheerleaders build a physical or emotional wall that protects Ronnie from the inevitable that will very likely occur from bad boy Robbie.

Dread

This chapter just seems to be full of foreshadowing - it's looking like it's all going to come to a head at the Homecoming Dance.

I know it's "just a story"...

Iolanthe Portmanteaux's picture

I know it's just a story, but I'm getting pretty worried about this girl.

- iolanthe

Worried

Melanie Brown's picture

I'm worried too. You know how mean author's can be to their creations.

Melanie