Bouquet List

Printer-friendly version

Tom, Dick and I, Harry had been best friends since primary school. How we had been teased for our names over the years. We stuck together through middle and high school. We hung out together. Got into trouble together. Somehow Tom always managed to extricate himself and I managed to shield Dick from the worst consequences. In high school we usually triple dated. We also stood together against the bullies. We were unfortunate in that we were considered to be “cute” in a girly way. Unfortunately that also invited some unwanted attention from the gay community. We weren’t. Gay that is.

We went to the same college even if we didn’t study the same programs. We shared a flat. We did the usual stupid things college students do. Somehow Tom always managed to extricate himself and I managed to shield Dick from the worst consequences. We fell in love with the same girl. We did NOT share the girl. That caused some friction.

Fortunately our friendship was strong enough to see us through that rough period until Anne finally made it clear that she loved Tom and nobody else. “Sorry Dick and Harry but I want to be your friend as well”. That could have broken up our little group but even if that meant that Tom was less present, he was always welcome also when Anne tagged along which she often did. She became the fourth mousquetaire. However, things weren’t really as before but Dick and I grew even closer.

Our friendship was even strong enough for me to accept that Tom chose Dick as his best man. As a “compensation” Anne roped me in to be responsible for most of the wedding arrangements. I was with Anne a lot of the time. I came to the conclusion that I was sort of maid of honor even if I wasn’t. I was there when she got the wedding dress. I was there for the choice of church. I arranged the dinner. The result was that I regretted even more her choice. She got so used to having me around that I probably saw many things that she never intended me to see such as her naked several times. She had some strange quirks. She intended to give a speech and worked and worked on it and her presentation. She rehearsed how to “glide” in her wedding dress. She even kept practicing how to throw her weeding bouquet.

All her practice paid off. Well, combined with my not inconsiderable effort. I wanted everything to be perfect for two people I cared immensely for. Everything went perfectly. That is until Anne threw her wedding bouquet. Despite all her practicing she got it completely wrong. Instead of flying towards the shoal of maidens it flew straight into the arms of Dick.

Dick looked completely shocked and all the people laughed. Seeing Dick with the bouquet was like a punch in my belly. I went up to Dick and got down on one knee. No need to spell out why. What an irony that she’d been named Dick! Dick had never told us his/her secret. How much pain that must have caused her. Still, it’s damned hard to keep such a secret from your best friend. I had respected her secret. I had probably been wrong and seeing her there with the bouquet made me realize that I couldn’t live without her.

Well, that was one upstaged wedding. The crowd was split between those looking shocked and appalled and those clapping wildly.

It was only at OUR wedding that I realized that my wife was not the only who couldn’t keep a secret from a very good friend. It was only when looking past my lovely bride and I seeing the maid of honor’s Cheshire cat smile that it struck me that Anne had NOT missed.

up
151 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You GOT me

I didn't see that one coming.

Ron

Maybe her

aim is not faulty but immaculate.

Sometimes It's True

BarbieLee's picture

A lot of stories on BCTS about hidden gender. I like this one as it's the girl. Most likely everyone has been around or at least known a tomboy who was a very convincing boy except for the soft features and possibly the voice. Or maybe they thought they were looking at an effeminate boy? Talk about blurring the gender divide. Stories mention how the boys don't do the macho male things. Yet seldom does a story mention the girl who gets left out of the girl parties and sleep overs because she didn't fit the girl mold.
Bru, my pet, you did this one proud and I really like it.
Barb
Never was asked if there was male and female in Heaven. I know God is both and neither. "I AM"

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Fifty Shades of Blues?

Wherever you are on the scale it somehow grates a little every now and then in contacts with society.

Sorry. Dick isn't gay and

Sorry. Dick isn't gay and fell in love with Anne but you expect us to believe she is a tomboy ?
That is a cheat; we win by a technicality.

You got me

I slipped. I missed the Slippery when wet sign.

Dick and Sue

Daphne Xu's picture

The sixties had a boy named Sue. Now, we have a girl named Dick. Hmm, it would be very hard to keep the secret were she cisgirl, so she was probably a girl in the wrong body.

I probably shouldn't overthink this.

-- Daphne Xu

Went totally different

Not the direction that I was thinking. Another great one Bru.

>>> Kay

All girl group

In the 60's and 70's in Ireland there was an all girl group unironically called Maxie, Dick and Twink. The innocence of those days.

It's like tao

It's like Tao - expect nothing and get the best, a story, I mean. Simply bruish.

In a not-much altered (maybe not at all) Reality ...

... Bru joins the waitstaff of a very "up-scale" restaurant. (Supposedly for "research".)

Arriving at a table, pepper mill in hand, Bru asks:
"Would you like two twists, or three?"

So you spotted me?

I hope I gave you three twists.