What's in a name?

Printer-friendly version

Back to comedy.
I dedicate this story to Licorice who inspired it

It was Monday morning the second week of Fall term. We had almost finished changing for gym when a naked boy stumbled into the girls’ changing room. Well, actually he was pushed into it. In his hand he had a pink leotard and a towel. He immediately tried to exit but someone outside made sure he couldn’t open the door. Failing to open the door the poor naked boy turned around and gave us a frightened look.

I saw that the boy was Ross, a smallish boy in our class with a lustrous wavy blond hair that he kept just a little bit too long for a boy. The sophomore boy was on the honors list but not a potential valedictorian, on the school gymnastics team and part of the drama club but never on stage.

While I, and apparently the rest of the girls, was deciding whether to scream to get our gym teacher or to spend some time tormenting the poor pathetic boy something happened. You could almost hear something click in his head and he started speaking, an octave above his normal voice:

“Hi girls! Do you mind if I join your class today? Can I use the corner over there to get dressed”

I swear that he sashayed over to the corner. Standing with his face to the wall he struggled into the leotard, apparently a first for him. He really had a cute butt!

Miss Anderson, our gym teacher, came storming into the changing room to apprehend the boy she had been told was molesting us girls. Looking around I got a silent confirmation from Annie, Suzie, Mary and Joanne that the Gang would take Ross under our protection.

Me: “Miss Anderson, is it OK if Rose joins us for class today?”

Miss Anderson hesitated. Smiled a bit nervously and asked:
“Is that acceptable to ALL you girls?”

Looking around I made sure that none of them dared object.

Miss Anderson to Ross: “Rose, you can stay with us today but a change like this really should be handled through the office. I will not get involved in all the paperwork, which I understand is extensive, so make sure that it’s all is handled through the office before next class.”

To the rest of us: “This is a sensitive matter so be nice and respect Rose's life choice!”

Walking into the gymnasium just behind Rose I had a nice look at his cute butt. His ¾ sleeve leotard was the only pink one. The rest of us wore black. His penis and balls could be seen through the elastic fabric. We had gymnastics and Rose was really good. Of course you could see that he was a boy by the way he moved but his movements got more and more feminine and at the end of class I’d have said he was more like a tomboyish girl and not a boy. After class we were a bit unsure what to do about showers but Rose had started prattling away about how she (he referred to himself as a girl) had enjoyed class and unselfconsciously got out of her leotard and into the showers before we had time to do anything. What the hell I thought and did the same thing. I even lent her my shampoo. Getting out of the shower we saw that someone had left some clothes for Rose; white blouse, tartan pleated knee-length skirt, white knee socks, black Mary Janes. In short the traditional catholic school-girl outfit complemented with a lacy black A-cup push-up bra, thong panties and a black hand-bag. Without commenting, but still prattling about girly stuff, Rose got dressed. Wow, was she cute in the girl next door way! They boys would be after him, boy or not.

Fortunately there was at least one from the Gang in every one of Rose’s classes so we could make sure that things got smoothed over with the teachers. Most had the same attitude as Miss Anderson; they had no problem with the new girl as such but PLEASE don’t bother them. Being with the Gang also shielded him/her from the bullies and unwanted attention from the boys. Of course he/she sat with us at lunch. We asked her (there really was very little boy left by then) if she was going the cheer-leading try-outs later that day. Not that we’d ever consider it ourselves! She squealed and excitedly asked if we thought that she was good enough. We answered that we thought she’d have a chance. Maybe she wasn’t that graceful yet but that a really cute and good gymnast always had a good chance. She kept on about being a cheer-leader for the rest of lunch.

Due to try-outs (not only cheer-leading) there were no classes after lunch. We all went to the try-outs to see how she’d do and to provide immoral support. She caused a bit of a stir when she got on the floor in her pink leotard. I really don’t understand why. Apart from the unfortunately rather obvious bulge she was all girl. Cute, dainty, great hair, awesome long legs … and that really cute butt! Well, she kicked ass. Not that her moves were perfect but her infectious enthusiasm and raw potential was overwhelming. Had they rejected her it would have been obvious discrimination and we couldn’t have that, could we? Miss Anderson talked with her afterwards and gave her a place in the squad on condition that she got a signed consent form from her parents and, of course all that pesky paperwork.

Since she was on a roll we brought her to our ballet class. Just for fun we had started ballet the week before. Since there was a strict dress code we bought her evertyhing required; pink tights, spaghetti strap black leotard and pink ballet slippers. Mary even fastened the bands on the shoes for her. And just for “her” we also bought a dance belt.

At the studio we talked with Madame and it was OK for Rose to take a trial class. Madame told us to use dressing room Girls 2 which is the smaller. When we had changed and left I saw that they had put up a sheet stating “and transgender” on the door.

We had to wait for the more advanced girls to end their pointe class. Watching them I looked over at Rose and saw a face that just screamed “longing”. All through class Rose worked much harder than any of us and I hate to admit it but she definitely was more feminine than some of the Gang. Nothing at all like the lone awkward boy in black tights and white T-shirt. After class Madame wanted to talk with Rose. After a while Rose came into the dressing room. How the hell did she manage to get that wiggle in her butt?

“Well” we asked.

“I signed up for all three beginner’s classes for the rest of the semester” she squealed. All of a sudden all us six girls were squealing and jumping.

After that we hit the mall! A new girl who basically needed everything was a great excuse to really do the shops. Fortunately whoever had set up Rose had left Ross’ wallet in the handbag. OK so the poor defunct boy hadn’t had that much money but that was no reason not to try on lots and lots of clothes. The skirt Rose wound up with perhaps was a little too short but with those awesome legs... The bare midriff blouse was a bit provocative but not worse than Annie’s and Suzie’s. What really made us jealous was that she appeared to be comfortable in her 4 inch heel sandals after only an hour. It took me weeks to handle those heels! But if her butt was cute before…

Then we went to the food-court to have a drink, look at cute boys, discuss how to proceed, look at cute boys, talk about clothes, look at cute boys... Of course Joanne said to Rose:

“Of course you might be more interested in Lezzie here instead.”

Me: “Stop that! You know I’m not a lesbian.” To Rose: “My name really is Elizabeth, Lis to my friends”

In Polish Lis means fox, which I am, totally! In fact Rose and I had really hit it off. She really was intelligent, interesting and really nice. So what if she was a little bit over the top giggly-girly, so were Annie and Joanne too.
Just then James Field came up to our table. James was a senior, EXTREMELY good-looking and the star of the drama club. Too bad the school Queen Bitch had her claws deep into him!

With a dreamy smile Rose got up and walked up to him. She leaned in towards his cheek (in her four inch sandals she was only a little bit shorter than James) and I swear she nibbled his ear! The reaction was NOT what I had expected! James grabbed her and gave her the most intense and sensual kiss I’d ever seen, except in a movie.

James: “At last I can express my true feeling for you. I never could do that to a boy but with such a lovely lady as you … Please go out with me tonight! I have something to do first but meet me here at seven.”

As James left I could see a dumb-struck Mr King, the drama teacher, behind them.

Emergency!

We only had two hours to make Rose fully prepared for her first date, far too short time! Joanne ran away to secure an appointment in the beauty parlor while the rest of us rushed Rose to the perfect store to buy a nice short sexy dress and sheer hold-ups. Since it was a rush job it took only half an hour. The Salon fully understood the situation and was prepared to give her the works within the time available.

Already a quarter past seven (after all she was a girl now) she presented herself in all her glory to a delighted James; the blonde hair cut in the cutest bangs, perfectly shaped eyebrows, long luscious eye-lashes (it wasn’t fair that someone born a boy should have those!) enhanced by just the right amount of mascara, discretely but expertly applied eyeshadow, blush (not that she needed any). Her manicured nails matched her lips (and toes). The pierced ears apparently was a surprise to her herself since she had started to protest after the first piercing. Those awesome nylon encased smooth waxed legs was accentuated by the high heels and the tight short dress really set off her cute butt. I don’t know who I envied most James or Rose!

We were very curious where James would take Rose to dinner. Had it been the Hamburger joint he’d have proven to be a cheapskate and not worthy of our Rose. We had expected him to take her to the Pizza place. That’s what our boyfriends usually did (though unfortunately I was between boyfriends at the time). Oh no, he took her to the steak house! He must really have fallen in lurve!

Afterwards they went to the cinema. We got into the same romantic comedy but sat a couple of rows in front of them. OK, I admit at first we sat down just behind them but they changed seats to the last row so we couldn’t have a good look at them. The film was really good but judging from the sounds from behind us the love-birds didn’t see much of it. And Mr King was in the audience too! What would he say the next day?!

James drew Rose home directly afterwards since her curfew was at eleven. OMG how would her parents react! And the Queen Bitch when she heard! And when Mr King told the other teachers about how our brazen little new girl behaved! OMG! OMG!

Before leaving Rose had made me promise to meet her in school an hour before classes the next day.

She was already there when I came to school. No she wasn’t. I saw the heavy boots that encased the pedicured toenails that had been stark red the night before, coarse jeans hiding the awesome smooth long legs, instead of the bare midriff with the delicious belly-button (that we really should have got pierced) there was a bulky sweater. The nails, while still manicured, were devoid of any color as were the cheeks (well no artificial color anyway). The eyelashes were still as long and luscious but without the mascara they somehow weren’t the same. Fortunately the eyebrows were and even though HE had tried to comb the hair in a more masculine style the cute bangs had fallen back.

Ross: “I wanted to say a few things to you in private. First I’m begging your forgiveness for deceiving you yesterday. I will explain why later. I will reimburse all the money you and the other girls spent on me. Something that’s very important to me is to assure that I have ABSOLUTELY no interest in boys. And finally, if you can find in your hart to forgive me could you also let me be your boyfriend? Please Please!”

I felt confused and betrayed. I had really liked Rose and now Ross tells me she was all just pretense, a role he played to fool us.

As if hearing me he said “I really didn’t intend to fool you but it was really important for me. Please follow me to Mr King and I’ll explain everything to you.”

I followed him. He walked proud, not at all like the Ross I remembered from last year or for that matter last week.

When we entered Mr King’s office the teacher shone up:
“Ah, the man of the hour I have been expecting you.”

Ross: “Do you remember what you promised me?”

Mr King: “Of course. I told you that you were a lousy actor and that I’d only put you on the stage if you could take a completely unexpected situation and turn it by instantly creating a new persona and keep it up for hours. What I really meant was that I didn’t think that you could even come close to that. I was wrong! I have the perfect part for you. You’re not really a Tybalt or a Mercutio and I have already given James the part of Romeo and since HIS performance yesterday I couldn’t take that away. Just imagine after just a few mumbled words in his ear playing the consummate lover and that kiss was leg_en_da_ry! So I think that you would be perfect as his Juliet! You get the title role!"

Poor Ross. From standing tall and proud he sagged and his lower jaw fell. I walked up to him and told him:

“You will be perfect as Juliet. Just remember that you are MY boyfriend and make sure that James keeps his hands off you off-stage. … or be my girlfriend if you prefer. When we meet in ballet class tonight I don’t care if you wear pink tights and leotard or black tights. Your butt is as cute either way” (wink)

Right, I’m NOT lesbian but I am Bi, so sue me!

Pushing up his jaw I leant in to kiss him when he grabbed me.

Well, the kiss in the mall now only ranks as the second most intense and sensual real-life kiss I’ve seen or experienced.

... a Rose By any other name would smell as sweet.

up
280 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Quite a romp

That was a cute story. Nice way to tweak the nose of a somewhat overused trope.

BTW, I notice licorice took down the blog post that inspired it, I gather he got some negative feedback over it. Too bad.

great

love it. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

Turnabout

Rhona McCloud's picture

Clever plotting where everyone ends up a winner?

Rhona McCloud

What the????

I have no idea what triggered this but the way it works here on BC is you write and post whatever you feel like. There will be things some people don't like, I myself shy away from the child & preteen tags for instance. But that doesn't mean everybody has to stop writing stories that are focused on those age brackets. Many of my stories lean towards the dark side and I know that bothers people. but it doesn't stop me writing them. (For the record, my stories are currently unpublished while I attempt to make them more readable.)

If you stop writing or posting stories, the person you hurt the most is yourself. People generally start writing because there is something inside that needs to be expressed. Keeping it all bottled up inside can only damage you, and those you love. that pressure needs an outlet and if you don't give it one chances are it will explode out of you in some other form or fashion.

Do as you want, just know that the risks associated with that action are real.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Don't sweat it, "trope user"

Podracer's picture

One commenter doesn't make a consensus.
Oh yeah, enjoyed the story too!

"Reach for the sun."

A totally interesting story

A totally interesting story told from the point of view of the author about people she knew, many rather well. It was well written and the final twist was amazing to be sure.

Earning a slot

Jamie Lee's picture

Ross did a good job proving he could act, though in the end he didn't get the part he wanted. Yet, he will be on stage.

And he now has a girlfriend.

Nice story.

Others have feelings too.

Only One Thing

that I found slightly disappointing with this sweet and charming story, was that it was so short, meaning I found your style and plot very good and would have liked it to go on some more, so this is not a complaint but praise - I just have an awkward way with words, sorry.

I urge you to pay attention to the advice from Karen J - don't let the occasional negative remark put you off. You write well and what you write is fun !

Briar

Briar

Very good story.

This is a very good story with open ending. I do hope it continue.

Hey do not let negative comment drag anybody down.
You all are amazing with your own story telling. Just to share something from my side, I was feeling miserable at one time when one of my comment hurts one of the wonderful author here, not because it is negative but more of because of my poor english. So my english alone can be annoying.
Just be glad that you all can write and post that story here and you all should be proud of that. I have few idea of stories that I can only dream of writing it down and post it but I just dont have the guts to do it. ...yet. :(

I liked it,

I knew you could write longer stories well.

XD

licorice's picture

well this is my first time actually reading this. It was quite funny, thank you.

Nice Story

Daphne Xu's picture

This was a very nice story.

And now, I'm totally confused by the non-sequitur comments.

-- Daphne Xu

-- Try saying freefloating three times rapidly.

At the time I was quite confused myself

The story was inspired by a blog written by Licorice about the trope of a protagonist for some reason dressing as a girl and immediately feeling comfortable as a girl.
During the time between me reading the blog and posting there apparently was a very strong reaction from Efindumb to the blog.
By the time I posted the story the blog had been removed. I didn't know that and referred to the blog in the, now changed, thanks to Licorice.
Not knowing that I hadn't been updated about the events regarding the blog efindumb assumed my story was a deliberate attack on him (at least that's how I interpreted it, Efindumb never answered any of my attempts to mend fences regarding this issue). I now see that efindumbs's comment has been deleted which makes the comments rather incomprehensible. It was there not that long ago. Now I'd have preferred to have it there still. At the time I have to admit I was both confused and hurt.

Oh my!

Daphne Xu's picture

Oh my!

So much pain a misunderstanding can cause.

-- Daphne Xu

-- Try saying freefloating three times rapidly.