How Dare He

Printer-friendly version

I’m sitting at our usual table at lunch. We boys are tired. Coach really put us through the wringer today. The girls had it easy today. I really like our group. We have kept together since middle school even though we have developed quite differently. Now we have almost become a high school parody; Peter the Jock, Annie the Cheerleader, Bill the Drug User, Doris the Geekette, Sammy the Nerd (me) and so on.

Coming towards us is Mr Popular, our sole newcomer. Mark transferred to our high school a month ago. Smart, rich, good-looking (cute according to the girls) this Senior prefers to join us lowly Juniors because, as he puts it with his broad smile, we are just that little bit less narrow-minded than the rest.

Mark really is a nice guy and, despite his successes with the girls, much shyer than he wants to admit. Sitting down we see that he gathering courage to say something. Finally he asks me:
“Sammie, would you go out with me Saturday night?”

The table explodes with laughter. Even though the comments are meant as joking I can understand that “you need to get glasses” and things like that when the guys explains to him that I’m “a boy. always been one, and always will be one” could be very painful for someone as shy as he really is. He turns crimson and beats a hasty retreat and sits down at a table some distance away.

We can see that he looks furtively at us. Once he stands up and walks a couple of steps in our direction but then sits down again. I can see how he takes a deep breath, stands up again and come over. I wait for him to apologize.

“I-I-I think y-you all are m-m-mistaken. I-I believe th-that Sammie in reality is a l-l-ovely girl.”

To me
“P-P-lease go out with me”

I’M FURIOUS! HOW DARE HE ...
see the real me who I have worked so hard to keep hidden all these years?

“I’d love to”

up
318 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

How sweet, I do hope you

How sweet, I do hope you continue the story, as I would love to see how the others react and respond to Sammie coming out in public.

I don't do sequels (well almost never) but

just to give you an idea.

Peter the Jock: "Oh man, why haven't you told us earlier. Now I've lost the opportunitiy" at which his girlfriend Annie punches his shoulder and reminds me that there's an extra cheerleader tryout on Monday and to keep my hands off her boyfriend. Bill on the other hand wonders aloud what was in that last batch of grass.

I agree

This would be the start of a quite different story. I would like to see it continue

A very cute little tidbit

And the kind of thing I'm sure a few of us wish were closer to our own real lives.

Melanie E.

How dares he, indeed ...

This is a lovely story of denial, admission, coming out and whatever. I guess Mark and Sammie are now an item. Thank you for sharing this delightful story to begin my day.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & Hugs,

Barbara Lynn Terry

"If I have to be this girl in me, then I have the right to be."

“I’d love to”

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

*grins*
Awww, cute, sweet!

This is one of those stories that makes a good stand alone, but could also be the start of a bigger story. It is fine the way it is but a sequel or expansion would be good too.

*smiles*
>i< ..:::

The truth is out there

Haylee V's picture

Sometimes, we can't see the one thing that is staring us in the face our entire lives: our true self. Thanks for reminding us of that fact.

*Kisses Always*
Haylee V

Bru's Little Slices of Life

BarbieLee's picture

Those solos which keep rotating up on the Home Page gives us an opportunity to find hidden stories we would never find otherwise. Although Bru is a master at convoluted story telling and takes his-her stories as funny reads, many times there are jewels of wisdom in them. As a person who loves to have her stories in dead tree form rather than on a glass screen. I believe Bru would do well with his stories published as a collection both electronically and on paper. I'd buy a book in a heartbeat. It would have to be signed of course.

Life is meant to be lived not worn until it's worn out
always,
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

I also like the random solos for the same reason

I also like the random solos for the same reason.

I haven't really considered publishing my stories in comercial format. Since they range from short to very very short stories I think I'd need about twice the present number of stories to have a reasonably "thick" volume.

For the time being I'm content to publish my stories here for you to read for free. I'm pleased if you find enjoyment in them and possibly any wisdom hidden in them. The fact that I have been published in two languages in paper form (non-fiction, non-English, small editions) is also a comfort. To complete my bibliography there are also two other stories published on another website but those are written in a language I seriously doubt that anyone here can read.

I also like them.

Daphne Xu's picture

This story popped up just now, as a random solo.

I have occasionally seen a random solo of mine pop up, and I'm sure that others have as well. I've seen the occasional sign, and I like the occasional reader.

-- Daphne Xu

Which Way?

Daphne Xu's picture

I know I commented before, and I'll see how I commented after writing this. At least this time, I'm unsure whether Sammy is physically a boy or a girl. (I was about to get naughty and delve into French, but I've changed my mind.)

Shy high-school students aren't cute, and they suffer horribly. At least the conversation didn't go anything like this:

Mark (avoiding a stammer): Sammie, would you go out with me Saturday night?
Sammy (loud harsh tone): Wait a minute, are you asking me on a date?
Mark (mortified): Is that, um, bad?
Sammy: I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in dating another boy.

Mark, now lost to the world, packs up and leaves. Sorry, not-so nice imagination, and not-so-nostalgic memories of school-times past.

EDIT: Oops, maybe I didn't comment before. I know that I smashed the kudo button -- it says so. But apparently I didn't comment. Sorry about that. March 2015? That was probably before I became aware of Bru and his reputation.

-- Daphne Xu

My early stories

I noticed that you have been reading my earlier stories.

"How Do I Love Thee" posted in 2008 was my second story here. You are correct in that the ending is rather sad. A somewhat unusal view of the problems with gender dysphoria.

After the two stories posted in 2008 I posted a bunch of very short stories (short even for me, one is less than 30 words long, though admittedly a sequel) in 2010, with one not very good sequel in 2013.

From 2014 I started posting more frequently (I'm deliberately not saying "regularly"). Of these "phase 3" stories this was one of the earliest. At the time I only used a single twist. It was only later that I sometimes add an additional twist (or more).

Mark was only the second person to realise that Sammie, in mind, is not really the boy everyone thought. Sammy, physically a boy, participates in Boys' PE.

Another thing I've noted is that many people here have less than rosy memories of school. I was extremely lucky. I had a great time in school. Partly that may have been due to attitude. I was the first in my (3rd) grade to have glasses: "Hey guys, come and look at this interesing thing".
Also, my high school was a good place where to be a nerd. I sat special early exams for some subjects and as a result had some time off. For two semesters I started school at 12.40 on Mondays, though I had to make a deal with the PE teacher to have the Monday PE class with a group one year younger than me in order for that to work.
Since that teacher focused on ball games this still placed me in the bottom quartile in that group. Many years later I learned why I have problems with fast moving balls. Due to extremely different nearsightedness on my eyes (and using glasses) my brain has a problem creating 3D images and distance calculations based on that (which also makes 3D films meaningless for me).