We Can Neither Confirm Nor Deny

Printer-friendly version

One Friday a rumor flew around school: One of the students was going to come out as transgendered. The rumor came from reliable source. Someone had heard the principal say it to his secretary.

Most people immediately suspected Andy Lawrence; a small nerdy (straight A) boy with a somewhat feminine behavior. In public opinion his only redeeming feature was that he was rather good at baseball. Not that he was a good batter or a good pitcher but his fielding had earned him a place in the school team.

However, apart from speculation there was no new information, until Monday. Monday morning Peter Worlowski caused a bit of surprise. Usually the footballer (tackle) sported an unkempt mop of hair. Now it was neatly androgynously coiffed. The usual flannel shirt was replaced by a shirt that almost looked like a blouse. There the androgynous part stopped. Even in present day US most people don’t consider a knee-length pleated black skirt anything but feminine. On the other hand the hairy legs and boots detracted a bit from the over-all impression.

Had it been Andrew nobody knows what would have happened. Now most students were VERY careful. Peter was known as the most aggressive tackle in the state. He had put not one but three opposing players in hospital. Regarding that other incident... Well the court ruled that it was self defence...

When someone was brave enough to ask him whether he was the transgendered student he replied:
“Nah, Ah just kinda like the feeling of the skirt against them legs”

Well, rumors kept flying. During first period teachers and other staff had no idea what to say. Peter was called to the principal. Afterwards the principal stated: “We can neither confirm nor deny that Peter Worlowski is transgendered”

Tuesday Peter came to school dressed the same way.

Wednesday Peter came to school with discrete, very well applied make-up. The principal repeated his “We can neither confirm nor deny that Peter Worlowski is transgendered”. Now some people started taunting Peter. He just smiled and did nothing. However, later in the week the smart people noted that the worst one, another footballer, received “extra attention” from Peter during practice.

By Friday things started to calm down. That soon changed.

Next Monday Harry came to school in what can only be described as a “school-girl” skirt. Harry was the baseball captain and a good friend of Andrew’s. Was Harry the transgendered one? The principal issued a statement: “We can neither confirm nor deny that Harry Smith is transgendered”.

The day after some of the other baseball players came to school in skirts. “We can neither confirm nor deny that ... is transgendered”.

Wednesday morning there were more boys coming to school in skirts. It had become the latest fad. Soon there were more boys than girls wearing skirts.

When a week later the principal finally could confirm that Andrew had become Andie no one really cared any longer. Slowly things returned to normal.

Some days later Harry and his girlfriend Andie came across Peter in the corridor. Andie got up on tiptoes to reach above Peter’s flannel shirt to put a “Thank you” kiss on a cheek devoid of all make-up below a mop of unkempt hair.

She asked:
“Why didn’t you tell us about your brilliant plan? We and the rest of the baseball team had to scramble to follow up”

“Nah, Ah hadn’t no plan. Ah aint a clever one like you. Ah told y'all Ah just kinda like the feeling of a skirt against them legs”

"But the principal said..." Andie started saying but Peter was already walking away with that special bounce of his that gave his barely regulation length skirt that extra swish. A pity about the hairy legs though.

up
339 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

cute

Alecia Snowfall's picture

this made me laugh in a very good way. I love the idea of all the school's sports stars running interference for someone who would otherwise be likely targeted. Cute story...maybe one day we'll see it happen in reality and maybe one day it won't even be needed. we all have hopes for the newer generations. well done Bru

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Bru,

Bru,
A very sweet little story, and contained within it is an idea and/or plan thats time has finally arrived. Blanket everyone's mind with who is/is not TG and transitioning, and finally no-one will care at all. Loved it.
Hugs, Janice Lynn

Quirky

Very left field.
I like it.
XX
AD

Unexpected

but very adorable! A great way to cross the boundaries of different definitions of the transgender term :D

Melanie E.

Me like

Needed a smile. Thank you!

Wonderful

Imaginative compassion with a splash of humor.
Thank You

Joani

I can neither confirm nor deny that

I loved reading this story. LOL. Thank you, Bru, for this delightful little short story. This is the second story I have read that has made me smile, and my day is just starting. So, he loves the feeling of the ski'rt against them hairy legs, eh. I wonder if that is as far as it goes, since he hadn't no plan.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & Hugs,

Barbara Lynn Terry

"If I have to be this girl in me, then I have the right to be."

Fabulously Funny

BarbieLee's picture

That one was certainly way off the beaten path. Nothing like taking the bite out of the issue before it even gets traction. Nicely done.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Nice story

If I recall correctly, a few years back something sort of similar like this happened at a high school. As I recall it the student in question was fairly well liked and had been a victim of a bad bullying and assault incident by a transphobic student or students. The following day several male students showed up dressed as girls in a show of solidarity and continued to do so for several days.

Hugs,
Tamara Jeanne

Nice story

If I recall correctly, a few years back something sort of similar like this happened at a high school. As I recall it the student in question was fairly well liked and had been a victim of a bad bullying and assault incident by a transphobic student or students. The following day several male students showed up dressed as girls in a show of solidarity and continued to do so for several days.

Hugs,
Tamara Jeanne

Neat story

Jamie Lee's picture

Confusing an issue is the best way to help defuse it. Nice work.

Others have feelings too.

Revisit

Just revisited this story and had a good chuckle. Thanks

Joanna

Nice!

Daphne Xu's picture

Sorry that I didn't comment the first time around. (Did I know about you back in March 2015?)

"We can neither confirm nor deny that this school is transgendered." Such a politic (and cowardly?) official stance.

This isn't original, but with Peter having a friend, Harry... Peter has hairy legs, but Harry doesn't have peter legs.

Nice story!

-- Daphne Xu

How do you gender a school?

It wasn't the school that was transgendered but I wonder how you gender a school. Girly buildings? Located in the outskirts? Phallic towers? And would removing a such a tower (and possibly two adjacent sheds) imply that the school is transgendered?

In this case it was Peter (who claimed he hadn't no plan) who persuaded the Principal to play it ambigously to fit the "non-existent" plan. Actually Peter had an agenda of his own. This way his skirtwearing is a non-issue.

You do know that you aren't obliged to comment even if I DO like comments. :)