Cory's Changes

Printer-friendly version

It all started with Cory’s Grand-aunt. As it turned out she really was Cory’s Grand-uncle if you had a strict legal view of things. Unfortunately she was extremely rich and equally extremely convinced that Cory really was a girl inside. Admittedly Cory wasn’t exactly the alpha-male type and some of his interests, such as ballet, were considered by many as a bit girlish but being a girl? No way!

For years Cory had been able to duck most of her attempts while at the same time avoiding insulting the old lady. That was Cory, ever polite and NICE but always managing to glide around obstacles, like water, and finally get his own way. Then the old lady passed away and Cory found himself the heir of a substantial fortune. Provided he spent one complete year as a girl of course.

No hormones or surgery during that year. The old lady was convinced that Cory would realize his true inner self if only he’d let down his defenses. That’s how it came about that my best friend since we started kindergarten turned into a girl the summer before our junior year in high school. The lure of the money was too great. Besides Cory thought it just might be a lark. How naive he was.

The Grand-aunt had passed away in March but Cory and the Grand-aunts lawyer and testament executor agreed that the best date to commence the “Girly Year” was just after school. There was a number of additional requirements as well. Clothing somewhat girly-girlish. Only skirts and dresses unless under special circumstances. Cory had to wear anatomical breastforms, fortunately only B sized. No going around without a bra though. Hair extensions were mentioned in the instructions but turned out not to be necessary since Cory’s hair was long enough. Swimwear and PE kit as befitted a proper girl.

There they reached a point where Cory had expected the whole thing to founder. The school district was not exactly progressive. Less from ideology than inertia. “Please don’t bother us, let’s just do as we’ve always done” was the normal school board reaction to everything. Surprisingly Cory was re-enrolled as a girl without a whisper of objections. A fully fledged girl without restrictions. The lawyer muttered something about a file left him by the Grand-aunt containing certain information about certain persons. Only to be used to facilitate things for Cory the girl and to be destroyed afterwards.

Regrettably there was one further stipulation: Cory had to have the experience of a boyfriend. That’s where I came in. Cory insisted that that boyfriend would be me. As I said we had been good friends since kindergarten and had done practically everything together (except I didn’t take ballet). Cory and John, two boys that got into trouble practically every day for years before we got a bit more staid. Cory felt safe with me and expected me to respect his defenses, not that I could have breached them even if I had wanted. Cory was an expert in the noble art of self-defense. Intellectual and emotional that is. Me? I thought the whole thing was bonkers, completely and utterly mad so of course I agreed. This could be soooo much fun.

That summer was weird. First of all we usually didn’t spend that much with girls. Not that we avoided them but we weren’t exactly the kind of boys that attracted girls. We had girl friends but no girlfriends. We were liked and respected by the girls in our class but they didn’t LIKE us in that way. Cory quite sensibly realized that he needed full immersion. Since we had girl friends they were prepared to help. To be honest Cory was a terrible girl at first. No sense of fashion. Forgetting to swipe his, sorry her, skirt before sitting. The first pair of heels she got ... well, that was hilarious. At first I was a bit miffed since I was shut out of much of what Cory did with “just the girls”. Of course I didn’t expect to be invited to sleep-overs but telling me not to join them when going shopping was a bit too much, I thought. I felt left out.

As the designated boyfriend I was allowed to join them by the lake. I still don’t know if Cory was conned into buying that sexy bikini or if it was of her own volition. Those breasts were really lifelike. I think that’s when I started to have problems with being the “safe boyfriend”. Not that I let anyone know. As the summer went on Cory the girl got more and more skilled and confident. However, the girl Cory was not really the same as the boy I had known. Duh, of course there were the physical “differences” even if only silicone. No, the character became different. She became more assertive and, when necessary, confrontational.

That became obvious when registering for senior year. The school tried to refuse her to take some classes. They were “Not suitable for girls” and “girls never takes these classes”. Inertia! Cory complained and was refused. The next day the school was surrounded by 400 protesters and two local TV teams. By afternoon Cory had got her classes. The baseball skirmish was settled more quietly. A brief meeting with the Grand-aunts lawyer where only Article IX was mentioned, and not a word about “The File”, was enough to settle that. Cory was allowed to try out. Too bad he didn’t qualify though. Another area where our ways parted. I never even considered to try out for cheerleading. The disappointed Cory did, and to his surprise (and disgust?) was accepted as a substitute.

Then there was a whole month without further incidents. Cory integrated fully as a girl. She used the girls’ rest rooms, participated in girls’ PE and used the same locker rooms. There were only token resistance since most girls had come to know and like the girl Cory already during summer. It helped that Cory the boy always had been respectful and nice towards the girls. I had most classes together with Cory, we studied together in evenings, I “dated” Cory. However, things weren’t the same any longer. I felt that we slowly drifted apart. The “dating” part probably was most to blame. I tried to behave as the attentive boyfriend and outwardly Cory was the loving girlfriend but Cory’s formidable defenses were there all the time pushing me away.

However, September and early October was only the calm before the storm and then Cory got involved in the Student Body School Calendar. Student Body was the key words. I think I’ve already mentioned that the school was somewhat behind the times? Well, the pictures up till Cory got involved had featured the most beautiful girls in school. Think “Swimsuit Issue” and you got the picture(s). The proceeds were used for the senior and junior proms.

The rather lazy faculty member supervising got a chock when he finally had a look at that year’s calendar. You could say it followed tradition, sort of. All the persons figuring in the calendar wore rather skimpy swimwear as usual. Cory featured on January while Tim and Mark were on February. Their kiss was very tender and not really sexual. Mary for March was pure standard stuff. Stuffed was the bikini top of hitherto closeted transgender Marvin. However, the favorite among the girls was June. Cory had managed to get the most desirable boy in school to participate as well. How she had managed to get him into those tiny swim briefs is still a well-kept secret. To make things worse the calendars had already been ordered to be printed. The supervisor really was lazy and had signed-off without looking. The whole print run was confiscated.

Strangely enough all copies disappeared from the locked room the same night. Strangely enough those calendars could sometimes be glimpsed in students’ lockers. Strangely enough there was an anonymous donation to the prom committee more or less corresponding to twice the usual proceeds from the calendars. I later heard that some calendars had changed hands for ridiculous sums.

The calendar brouhaha was the starting shots in Cory’s campaign for equal rights. She had grown tired of how the girls’ facilities always were inferior to the boys’. The school counselor always tried to steer girls into stereotypical female occupations and so and on. The campaign extended to the school board elections. She really shook things up and the election result was another chock for the “inertia” camp. The principal realized what was going to happen and resigned. The school counselor surprised everyone and freed from restraints turned out to be perhaps too progressive, even given the new management.

Cory didn’t stop there. She had noticed the flak Tim and Mark and Marvin had received since appearing in the calendar. Many reactions were positive but enough was bad, even from teachers. Cory became a fanatic LGBTQ+++ proponent. What had happened to the nice inoffensive boy Cory who had been happy to lets problems just gently stream around and past him? Well, “the new and improved Cory” incessantly pushed the new more progressive schoolboard before her. She did the same with the student body. Policies for transgender and gay students were written, approved and implemented. The dress code was made unisex. However, Cory was still constrained by the rules laid down by the will. There were a surprising number of students that came out as gay. Apart from transgender Marvin there was also F2M Colleen. Nobody had expected that a couple of crossdressers would take advantage of the new dress code. At first people mistook Mike for transgender and he had to explain over and over again that he just liked skirts and that he definitely was male and male only and no, he had no interest in dating boys.

As you can imagine the confusion spilled over to the senior and junior proms as well. Cory was the obvious shoo-in for junior prom queen but she recused herself. There went any chance I had had to be prom king. Oh, I was Cory’s boyfriend and I supported her eagerly in all her campaigns but I couldn’t help feeling that I was running all I could and still was lagging behind her. In a way that was an advantage though. It meant I had less time to focus on my problem.

Things got better just before junior prom. Preliminary grades showed that I was ahead of Cory scholastically. As it turned out I was top of the class. Well, I had had more time to study as I spent less time with Cory. I still wish I had beaten Cory with more than a nose-length though.

Cory was ravishing at the junior prom. She had really pulled out all stops. Well, it was only one week to the end of the year and as she explained she intended to go out with a bang. Despite her defenses being up as usual we had a great time.

As we danced a slow dance she told me:

- You know John, I can’t wait to go back to being a boy again. It’s been an interesting year but this is not me. I’m exhausted and I’m really glad it’s all over soon.
- Cory, you DO know that you are the main character in a Bru story?

I’ve never seen blood completely drain from a face that fast. I sensed that Cory’s defenses were down for just a moment. A moment was all I needed. I pulled her closer and KISSED her. Truly kissed. Cory responded and this was the first of many, many kisses.

The next year was much better than I had feared when I started junior year. I felt truly liberated. The groundwork done by Cory the girl during our junior year helped enormously. We went to college together and next month we’ll get married. According to the doctors the soreness from the operation should be gone by then.

Looking back I realize that things would have been much, much harder without Cory and what he did. Marrying someone loaded isn’t bad but what’s even more important is that my husband-to-be truly has an understanding of what I have had to go through. It’s a true comfort that my husband-to-be really has walked a mile in my shoes. Well, at the time they were his.

Love
Joan

up
184 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Whoa!

Didn't see that one coming.

Did you notice

the entry under "Other keywords"?

Thank you for commenting :)

Ingenious

Glenda98's picture

Clever twist at the end

Glenda Ericsson

Well, I sort of gave a warning

in the "Other Keywords"

Thank you for telling that you found the story ingenious.

"Other Keywords"

"Other Keywords" not needed when there is a warning under "Author" tag.

Good story btw.

With my back-ground as an engineer gone over to the dark side

I have found that important facts NEVER can be stressed too much and too often. Some people will ignore them anyway. Not that I always apply that in my stories here ;)

Then there are others who just need a hint ...

Fair Warnings

Daphne Xu's picture

"... not needed when there is a warning under `Author' tag." Or when there's a warning in the author column of the site's home page.

"... important facts NEVER can be stressed too much and too often. Some people will ignore them anyway." I was reminded of this post from half a decade or so ago: https://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/blog-entry/62787/modest-dilemma, about emphasis being a trigger for "disregard!" It still happens, and worse. I'm trying to find ways to get them to do things to learn them. "Plus ça change..."

Having gone to the dark side, at least Bru writes stories as a hobby. Maybe he can be persuaded to dabble in the light as a hobby.

-- Daphne Xu

Even those who have gone over to the dark side use light sabres

As for emphasis. Just tell your students that "this will come on the test".

Sometimes you will get surprised though. Once upon a time I functioned as secretary in an interdivision decision forum (i.e. I decided what had been decided). I had a feeling that the minutes I sent out after every meeting weren't read so I introduced a small anouncement hidden in the text that the first person to contact me would get the equivalent of 2 USD (from my own pocket). The first, of several, answer came some 10 minutes after posting the minutes.

oh, Bru !

"you DO know that you are the main character in a Bru story?"

now you've gone and let your characters know the truth. Will we see a character strike for stories longer than 1,000 words in my stories next?

DogSig.png

Interesting, but really scary, idea

Many years ago I did write a blog where my characters had a get-together. Just a small friendly party at that time and they didn't turn on me. I shudder thinking of what could happen. Some of my characters are rather scary. Just imagine what a certain cardinal could do. I have no wish to go the way of the "Seven Little Bullies and if the jilted girlfriend from "Comed Out" found that she liked doing what she did to her former boyfriend none of us is safe. At least the main character in "Commutation" isn't around any longer.

The Get-Together

Daphne Xu's picture

I assume it was this: https://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/blog-entry/55613/my-fictional.... Are you going to have another get-together, to include characters written since this one? Perhaps we could eavesdrop on some dialogue between the characters. Corazón Tender❤'s father could have an interesting conversation with Callum's mother, and Corazón herself could chat with Amy. Then Hubert, Tom, and this story's lovebirds could chat over drinks, about their respective inverted twists.

So many ideas. You might include yourself, although you'd be in danger from a number of your characters -- as you mentioned, yourself.

-- Daphne Xu

Oh my such a long time ago, only 14

Bru stories up on this site. Now there are 98 of them with hundreds of characters evil, saintly or, mostly, somwhere in between.

As long as Covid-19 ravages I don't think it's a good idea to put them all in the same room. Actually I doubt it's a good idea to put them in the same room period. You never know what they'll get up to.

Fictional characters' union? Just imagine what that would cost the writers on this site!

Bra(vo)!

Lucy Perkins's picture

Excellent story! I would say that it was "Vintage Bru" but even with that high praise, it was a good year. I really loved your "breaking the fourth wall" at the Prom, very John Fowls.
I had read the keywords, so I did actually expect the unexpected. Lovely twist!
Lucy x

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

I did send it around the Horn in an oak barrel

Not really, but maybe bouncing around the inside that empty head of mine has the same effect?

I admit that breaking the fourth wall was an itch that I had to deal with in some way. Hower, that may have been a dangerous move if you read Dorothy's comment.

Walk a mile in her shoes

Ha! Thank you Bru, you've done it again. Knew a twist was likely coming but I didn't see Joan until I reread about going shopping. Loved the 4th wall break, good use of it to get Cory's attention and get her defenses down.

>>> Kay

Ah yes.

Daphne Xu's picture

Thanks for the reminder. It now explains the shopping issue, and why John wasn't relieved.

-- Daphne Xu

Hearts Finally United

Daphne Xu's picture

"The lawyer muttered something about a file left him by the Grand-aunt containing certain information about certain persons. Only to be used to facilitate things for Cory the girl and to be destroyed afterwards." This being a Bru story, it could have gone bad.

"I thought the whole thing was bonkers, completely and utterly mad so of course I agreed. This could be soooo much fun." How much like Bru that sounds.

"... telling me not to join them when going shopping was a bit too much" -- not a relief? More generally, he's not relieved that the girls are doing everything to make Cory a girl, so that he doesn't? "I felt left out." Okay, that makes sense, especially since they were friends from their little days and are now BF/GF.

"I think that's when I started to have problems with being the `safe boyfriend'. Not that I let anyone know." People often notice more than one thinks, and it's not exactly easy to hide the bulge or the wood.

"The next day the school was surrounded by 400 protesters and two local TV teams. By afternoon Cory had got her classes." So the lawyer's file wasn't invoked to facilitate this situation? "...not a word about `The File'" -- ah, okay.

"Cory, you DO know that you are the main character in a Bru story?" Shudder! I've never imagined being caught up in a Bru story. Okay, not quite true. I have imagined needing to borrow my son's lovely gorgeous gown. I've tried to imagine being in my own stories, as first-person characters, but that's different. "I’ve never seen blood completely drain from a face that fast."

Of course, once in the last couple of chapters paragraphs, I did realize just who went all the way as trans. No doubt, they attended the senior prom together in their new respective roles.

The was one of your longer stories, and quite a nice, heart-warming one. It could have been a... no, I won't mention it. But I really have to get back to work on a couple stories.

-- Daphne Xu

Just another warning

Seeing you brought up Hearts Finally United - I do have another "Thumping Hearts" story bouncing around in my head. Also, I've realised that I haven't done anything to a favorite genre here; the boy as girl performing artist. I have to rectify that omission. I think I have an idea (space for demented laughter)

As for being a character in one of my stories you should be careful, very careful. Some of the people in my stories are rather scary as I've mentioned in another comment here.

You may have noted that many of the strange reaction from John are explained when knowing who Joan really is. For an example "safe BOYfriend".

The Reference

Daphne Xu's picture

"I do have another `Thumping Hearts' story bouncing [thumping?] around in my head." Better let it loose, before it does serious brain damage.

Now that you caught and exposed the reference, I can admit that the stories I referred to are in that Universe. (I still have that BB sequel to finish, too. Argh!)

-- Daphne Xu

Advanced?

erin's picture

Well, the warning worked sort of. I read it and thought, what would be the most Bru ending available? :)

Still, I didn't figure on the fourth wall break. :D

Good story without the shenanigans, too.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

So you had already figured out

who the transgender person was?
Then you must have had fun smelling out my red herrings (fortunately not of the Swedish fermented kind, I hope).

Looking back at my recent stories the MCs are a bit larger than life. I suspect that in the real Real World changing the atmosphere of a school would be MUCH harder to achieve. Well, I do write fiction after all.

Thank you for your kind comment!

Give yourself a gold star

but only a small one since you didn't figure it out until the last paragraphs ;)

Cory's changes

I didn't really see that coming although I knew something was up. There are much scarier authors to be informed you're in their world.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

It was obvious they would get

Rose's picture

It was obvious they would get together, but how didn't come to me till the end. When Cory said she would be happy going back to being a guy, it started to dawn on me what was going on.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Slightly earlier than many other readers

I believe.

Sometimes I consider writing a story with a straight storyline leading up the obvious ending without any twists at all. THAT would throw you.

Just do it!

Just do it!

Well I've learned to accept

that it's a Bru story so there'll be a twist at the end. I had actually convinced myself that the twist this time was going to be a joke on all of us; that is Bru was just going to let the trope play out according to formula! So, no, I wasn't expecting this. As always, a great story and craftmanship!

Not a bad guess

I have considered that and one day I just might post a standard trope story just to confound all those readers who expect an unexpected twist ending (thank you Guest Reader for that).

Glad to hear that I brought you some joy.