Monday Morning at 08:01

Printer-friendly version

The first day of sophomore year I walked down to the school bus stop. My best friend since we were toddlers, but who had spent summer somewhere else, was already standing there waiting.

- Hi, Sally! Love that dress!

Sally looked at me surprised. I don’t know why. That dress really was beautiful and it made her look gorgeous. The thin black pantyhose made the most of her stunning legs.

- Jake! You knew. You knew all the time!
- Yep. I probably knew before you did yourself

I answered my best friend who the last time I’d seen him had been known as Sal, short for Salomon. I was happy for her. It had taken her much longer time to come out of her shell than I had expected and hoped. I was looking forward to what new relationship we would have. I really was.

The other kids on the bus took the emergence of Sally surprisingly well. We didn’t really care. We kept talking to each other. Sally had become the lovely girl I for many, many years had known to be there and eagerly waited to see. That smile of hers was delightful. However, the school bus was not the right place to tell her what I desperately wanted her to know.

We talked about other things such as how we had spent our respective summers. I had been worried because I had learnt that our nemesis, Bob the school bully, was going to spend the summer in the same small village by the lake as Sal. Bob had made freshman year hell for us. I had no expectations that sophomore year would be better even though Sal, through gritted teeth, had promised to come up with a solution. When I asked Sally how she had managed with Bob in the same small village she gave me a strange smile

- At first it was awful but then something really weird happened…

At that moment the school bus stopped. We got out and walked to the main entrance.

Oh no! Bob was standing there waiting with his goons.

Sally walked straight up to Bob and kissed him! WTF!

Bob didn’t hit her. He returned the kiss. Gently, lovingly! His face got a goofy expression and he laid his arm protectively around Sally’s shoulder. Sally turned her head towards me:

- I told you I’d find a way to stop the bullying.

The young couple walked away. They were very obviously very much in love. As the girl of my dreams departed I looked at the clock. One minute past eight.

There would still be the memories but I knew that I had lost someone I loved very much.

On a Monday morning at 08:01.

up
256 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

8:01

As usual a well written and thoughtful story with a twist at the end, this is why I read everything you post immediately, but usually I smile more at the end.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Add...

Another paper to the I hate Mondays club. LOL

Good story Bru.

Bullies will always be bullies.

I'm afraid that Sally is in for a rude awakening once the novelty of being with Sally wears down some.

Short And Sharp

joannebarbarella's picture

With your trademark twist at the end.

Loss or Gain?

Daphne Xu's picture

I hope that Jake didn't lose a friend. Better yet, I hope he gained a 2nd friend.

So are you going to tell us what happened that summer out in the small village by the lake? "That Summer, the Village by the Lake"

-- Daphne Xu

-- Try saying freefloating three times rapidly.

He's young yet

Jamie Lee's picture

Ah Jake, you're young and this will not be the last love lost.

However, as sad as it is that Jake lost his first, the real question is how did Sally get Bob not to bully her? Because of the goofy expression he got on his face after kissing Sally, he either actually liked kissing her or someone messed with his mind in some way.

His time at the same summer camp could lead one to believe someone gave him a great reason to change his ways. Such as a taste of his own medicine, hypnotized, or waving of a wand. Wonder which one Sally used?

Others have feelings too.

'Tis better to have loved

" 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. "
-Alfred Lord Tennyson

Yeah, right...

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

The Back-story for the story

The back-story for this story do involve love that definitely was worth it, despite the loss. However, not romantic love.
I was not really playing with a full deck last spring and this was a kind of ... well, something... following my father ceasing to breathe (on a Monday morning at 8.01).

Too bad BCTS doesn't have ...

... the Sad, Love, Care, Angry, Laugh buttons that Facebook does.

I'd have clicked Sad ...