First Brat

Printer-friendly version

I gritted my teeth but kept a smile on my lips. While I knew this would come up in my job interview, I had hoped it wouldn’t. Even six years later I got sick thinking about it. Hope hadn’t conquered reality.

Yes, I’m the one Secret Service agent that survived that debacle. And no, I wasn’t fired. I resigned. And the reason I resigned wasn’t the death of the President and her husband. It was all the fault of the First Brat,

First Brat is what I called the President’s son as soon as I saw him. Well, I had been told to call the boy “her” and “she” and use the name Sheila. Transgender they said. I still can’t understand why they had assigned me to the First Brat’s team. I hated children. I didn’t hate transgender people. I just thought they were crazy. You are who you are. That’s decided at birth. A boy is a boy. A girl is a girl. I certainly never had any crazy ideas like that.

It was hate at first sight. Mutual at that. I had been assigned to the First Brat despite my objections and I had sworn to do my duty. The boy saw the contempt in my eyes and sighed. Surprisingly he just said: “Oh, what the fuck. Another phobe. Why bother, they are just as bad all of them. At least he doesn’t appear to be as bad as that woman agent. Let’s keep him” And then he gave me a good look. “At least he’s a hunk.”.

That was the first of many times the First Brat made me uncomfortable. I did no appreciate to hear that from a 13-year-old boy dressed in a frilly dress. I’m not gay and I deplore the early sexualization of children in our society.

That was only the beginning of “beautiful” troubled relationship. The boy was not only weird but lazy as well. AND he played the victimization card all the time. Oh, he got how I despised him all right, even if I couldn’t say anything and he hit back. I hate to think about how many shops for young teen girls he dragged me to. And every time he asked me for my opinion about that dress, skirt, top or high heeled shoes looked on him. I cringed every time. Especially since his fashion sense was not exactly on the demure side. How his parents let him get away with I can’t understand. I mean, he WAS the First Brat and in the public view! Well, actually I DO understand how he got away with it. His parents didn’t really give a damn about him. The less contact they had the happier they were. They were aware of it and probably felt somewhat guilty, and the kid was an expert in the victimization game. The fact that the didn’t have ONE relative closer that an old spinster second cousin once removed didn’t exactly help either combined with the distance the position of First Brat placed between him and his school mates. No peer pressure/correction.

I said the boy was lazy. He sure wasn’t stupid but did abysmally in school. I did not enjoy going back to school. I told you that I hated children. Besides I was never comfortable that the First Brat was out of my sight in the locker room. I wasn’t allowed in the girls’ locker room. I couldn’t fathom how they let HIM. Anyway, the expensive private school had a female security guard in the locker room but I still felt uncomfortable letting the kid out of my sight. I felt it was unprofessional. I also resented the way the school coddled him. Why did they let him get away with doing nothing? I might have mentioned once or twice to the First Brat that he should study more. Then he hit back and challenged me to explain things he didn’t understand. I wasn’t hired to be some damned tutor! On the other side I hated to see a very sharp, if carefully hidden, brain just go to waste. Of course I wasn’t paid any extra for all those extra hours. At least the First Brat didn’t waste my efforts. His grades went up. Amazingly fast too.

I’m not sure but that may have had something to do with the kid starting to actually listen to my opinions when shopping. I still didn’t exactly approve of how “she” dressed” but still, it wasn’t any longer borderline slutty.

This didn’t happen overnight but after two years the First Brat and I achieved something of a mutual respect. “She” really was bright and if I had a long talk with her before any public appearance “she” started to act like a proper, almost professional, First Daughter. I had to careful though and keep “her” on a tight leash.

Then “she” started dating. Besides from firmly believing it was unnatural I had the unenviable task of vetting any potential date/boyfriend. That first boy, very cute and all, wouldn’t do; drug possession. That “awfully cute” Arab boy? Well, his cousin’s cousin featured in Homeland Security files as a potential terrorist. Of course I vetoed him. Then there was that totally vanilla kid. I couldn’t understand what “Sheila” saw in him. I had no objections though. The vetting turned out that the boy really was completely vanilla. And boring! One date only. “Sheila” claimed it was because I intimidated him. I firmly reject any such accusation. Then there was Bob. I liked him. Bright, fun and HE wasn’t intimidated by me. I still don’t know why I didn’t veto him. He did have a previous speeding ticket. I hate to admit it but they were cute together. Sometimes I even forgot that “Sheila” really was a boy. OK. I admit, “Sheila” was on “her” way to become a lovely girl. Too bad their relationship foundered after the “incident”.

Yes, the incident. I still can’t remember anything about it. I have been told I did some remarkable things and have the scars to prove it but I just can’t remember. Unfortunately the only thing I DO remember is hugging the terrified teenage girl with the blody corpses of her parents in front of us. She had lost EVERYTHING. Probably more than she realized. When trying to comfort the sobbing girl I didn’t tell her that MY assignment was over. She wasn’t the First Brat any longer.

When I got out of hospital I resigned. I was not up to another personal protection assignment. So, it really was the First Brat’s fault that I left the Secret Service. AND I want to stress that I resigned on my initiative. They practically begged me to stay. I got a 9 to 5 job where I have worked since then but now I feel the time has come for something more challenging again. That’s why I applied for this job.

I’m afraid that this has taken longer than I had planned so I have to leave now.

Not finished? I don’t give a damn. I have more important things to do than to play the game the way you want to. To be perfectly honest I don’t rate your interviewing skills very highly.

What is more important than you? Many, many things. But in particular my daughter’s graduation from university. Summa Cum Laude! I’m extremely proud of that young woman. Even if Sheila complains that I still intimidate her boyfriends.

up
222 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Fantastic!

Can't figure out what country. Finland or Estonia?

Thank you!

Oh, why Finland or Estonia? There are many countries with presidents, Even female presidents, no matter how unlikely that sounds.
Not many countries where the "Secret Service" provides protection for the president and family though.

Some Country

Daphne Xu's picture

So it sounded as if they were in a country whose primary language is Uralic? You didn't mention Hungary, though.

-- Daphne Xu

Slipped that right in there

Another great one Bru. I was all caught up in the story and then the interview was over. Took me a whole minute to catch up to his "daughter" Sheila. Thanks for a good Tuesday morning wake-up story!

>>> Kay

That's why

I didn't read it. ;-)


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I'm happy you haven't stopped commenting even if

I'm happy that you haven't stopped commenting even if you don't read my stories any longer. I've come to genuinely look forward to your comments :)

Should this be considedered 0-11 or not? I'm not sure since you didn't actually read the story.

One more thing. I realized I didn't give you the credit you were due for the comment on "T-Girl on the Prowl". In my response to your comment on "In a League of Her Own" I asked you to be more specific in your feed-back. The single word "Turkey" was not very informative. Your comment on "T-Girl on the Prowl" was much more informative. Thank you.

However, I still think you could have more "zest" in your comments.

Great voice

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Your protagonist’s “voice” comes through so strongly, especially in the use of short, blunt sentences throughout. Very well done.

Emma

Interesting. And what does that say about me?

The way the character is reflected in the short blunt sentences wasn't deliberate. However, it IS a consequence of how I write my stories. Sort of method acting but applied to writing. Yes, I, at least partially, "become" the narrator. I wonder what that says about me considering the nature of some of my protagonists that include bigots, deranged people, mass murderers, famous models ,,,

Empathy for the devil

erin's picture

Being able to feel what your creations would feel is what is often called genius.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

lovely, Bru!

very nice, and tricksy as usual !

DogSig.png

Tricky?

Who could seriously claim that? ;)

One by One

Dee Sylvan's picture

That's how hearts and minds are won over. Excellent story Bru!

DeeDee

Thank you for telling me

Always nice to hear that I brought some pleasure to someone.

Wow! I must say, Bru

You knocked that one outta the park! Great job! /hugs

Diana

From your wording

I assume you don't mean the tiny park just outside my window.
Words are interesting. If I understand correctly the "park" in this expression refers to baseball. No trees or bushes in those parks.

Thank you!

Hmmm

I guess I could have said you aced it or knocked it for six, but not many know those terms /shrug
Idioms are too localised at times...
Be well
Diana

ps I relly do enjoy your short sordid tales and, not to be sesquipedalian, your loquacious use of language brings joy to my logophilian heart

Some of that I was familiar with

To ace something I come across quite often. I have no idea where it comes from though,
Knocked it for six; is that a reference to cricket?

In my defence I can only hide behind the mitigating fact that I was raised in a family of logophilians. Terribly contagious that.

As to the former,

Yes, it is a cricket term.

And as for the latter, I blame the fact that I was raised the same as you, in a family of logophilians that stressed the value of the printed record unlike my brother, the barbaric heathen, who thought hardback/bound books made wonderful bases for baseball /sigh Unfortunately, it was not contagious enough...

That and golf probably

An ace is a point serve of some kind, and an ace in golf is a hole in one I think (not a huge sports fan, unless you count gymnastics and figure skating as a sport, which, while I do, many don't). Not sure where the term came from, but I first heard it in reference to acing a test, i.e., making no mistakes /shrug

Ace

To "ace" something is to excel at it. The word comes from the Old French word for one, "as", and originally meant the single spot on a die. Next, it was taken over to cards, where cards with a single spot were named "ace". In most card games, the ace was the highest ranked card in a suit. From there, it evolved into a general term for excellence. Two sports then borrowed "ace". In tennis (and other sports with a serve) an ace is a serve that the opponent is unable to touch. In golf, an ace is a hole-in-one.

There. More than anyone wanted to know.

knocked it for six

I wasn't familiar with "knocked it for six" so I looked it up on the Web. I found it means "If something knocks you for six, it shocks or upsets you so much that you have difficulty recovering. The emotional impact of losing a parent can knock you for six." I don't think that's what you meant, since the meaning is so off from aced it.

*smiling*

That was a beautiful story, Bru! I loved how the relationship between the first brat and narrator developed. And the ending ... I think I'm gonna be smiling all day after reading it. Thank you for sharing your wonderful talent! :)

You Are Succinct!

Brevity is the soul of wit. - Shakespeare

Bru is the soul of brevity.

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Ta!

Ta!

Deleted

duplication

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

The Turning Point

Daphne Xu's picture

"Then he hit back and challenged me to explain things he didn’t understand." I'd call that the turning point. The kid comes to respect him, and once that happens, he comes to respect the kid.

"MY assignment was over. She wasn’t the First Brat any longer." Former First Brats might still warrant Secret Service protection -- especially if the "former" is due to assassination. Fortunately, the narrator didn't give up on her.

This was a depressing story. So it's appropriate not to have Bru's standard twist ending -- the one that snatches the rug out from underneath expectations.

-- Daphne Xu

Duty and Professionalism

are key concepts for the narrator. (Which he why is unlikely to accept a job with the unprofessional interviewer's organisation). When the First Brat starts to live up to those ideals the prejudices he has becomes secondary.

He also decided to get a 9 to 5 job to provide stability for Sheila. Now that she's about to start her own professional life he's free to pursue his own preferences.

As for the ending, while many (most) of my stories have that twist not all of them do.

Nicely done, as always

Robertlouis's picture

And I thought from the outset it was set in Murica, given the names and other terms.

Anyway, having spent too much of my own professional life interviewing people, latterly for board level positions, I’ve often noted just how terrible most people’s interviewing and interpersonal skills are, so I completely empathise with the narrator’s impatience.

What comes across to me at the end is that while there may be a modicum of affection, and some pride, the relationship with the brat remains based on the pillars that it began with: mutual respect and grudging admiration, coupled with an ingrained sense of duty that he couldn’t shake even after The Incident.

You are a very clever writer, Bru. x

☠️

Problematic

Robertlouis's picture

Or perhaps it’s a mix of his former protective role with his continuing sense of duty as much as the stereotypical heavy father.

Whatever, he’d make a dream study for the right psychologist.

Meanwhile, on this side of the pond, it would have been stiff upper lips all round…

☠️

Oh, no doubt

that he'd make a dream study for the right psychologist, or perhaps psychiatrist.

Interesting...Not sure of the county

What a great story!! First Brat is interesting, and I guess he adopted her after her parents got killed. I guess he hated her at first. Now, - for Americans - do you think we will ever elect someone with a transchild (teen) as president? Me, I hope so, because it wouldn't matter if the person running has the same views as I do. I vote for the person not a party.

TGSine --958

Maybe I was wrong to tag this story Real World?

I had the US in mind when writing this story. This site is mainly, though not exclusively, inhabited by people from the Anglosphere. Using a setting other than US or UK when the setting is of some importance would mean that many readers don't recognize the environment and possibly feel lost. If you wish you may call that pandering. Also remember that this is fiction which means I take some liberties and write what just possibly could happen, even if unlikely.

Then we have Fantasy/SF settings that are supposed to be different by definition.

As for a president with a teen transchild: Presumably it would, just, be possible to hide that until AFTER the election.

Very enjoyable. I have to

Rose's picture

Very enjoyable. I have to admit, it took me a couple of minutes. I hadn't seen that this was a Bru story. Honestly, I noticed the title. Once I realized this was one of your stories, I reread it, and understood.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Not to be read casually?

Some people claim that my stories are not suitable to be read casually.
I'm inclined to agree.

Maybe there should be an addition to the "Caution" alternatives:
CAUTION: Bru story

I know one or two who already act as if the byline is a Caution.