Going to school

Printer-friendly version

Eyes open. I wake up early. It’s a lovely day. The sun shines, the birds sing and all that. While waking up properly I realize that I feel girly today. I have no idea where that came from. But why not go to school in girl mode?

I know I don’t have any skirts, especially not uniform skirts, in my wardrobe but anything else should be possible to find. Shoes: similar. White knee-socks: one pair at the back of the drawer. White blouse: white shirt is acceptable. Jacket; same for both versions of the dress-code. Tie: same. Underwear: same as usual. Who’s going to see them anyway? No gym today. Now for the uniform skirt. I don’t have one but my evil twin does, at least five of them. As a matter of fact the little rat has more clothes than any girl could possibly use.

MOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!
Uh, uh. A piece of advice: when raiding someone’s closet listen carefully to when the shower stops.

Mom sighs: “Peter, Judy what are you up to now?” That’s us, a.k.a. the infamous quarrelling twins (fraternal of course).
Mom isn’t stupid though. Seeing me there in the pleated school uniform skirt she realises what’s up.
“Are you really sure you want to do this? Considering your rather “forceful” stand during the debate about gender-neutral dress-code you will be in for a lot of teasing.”
[Discussion with at times raised voices…]
“Well it’s your funeral. Don’t come crying to me later though”
To the weasel:
“I will not ask you to lend your skirt. What you’ll do is to give it away and we’ll go shopping tonight.”
Shopping, the magic word. I could almost see the dollar signs in the shopaholic’s eyes.
“Will this apply to anything else necessary to make my SISTER presentable?”
“Of course, do your worst” said my mother with a smile, knowing very well what she was allowing to happen to me.

Strangely, this turns into the best “brother/sister” moment in years. To begin with I get a crash course in make-up. I have to make sure to keep it toned down since I have no intention of going to school looking like a whore. OK, maybe my opinion about that is more conservative than about 97% of the girls in school. What we finally settle on is very nice though and I’m amazed what could be done with my hair. I refused all jewellery. While not banned it’s discouraged at our school. The skirt is another point of dissension. Even though the scamp claims to know exactly what you can get away with regarding skirt length (admittedly an irrefutable expertise) I prefer the one skirt not shortened. The silk blouse is really nice. I didn’t know clothes could give you feelings like this. Underwear: I know that thongs aren’t allowed but who will know? And I’m discovering that I do love silk. The matching padded bra creates the illusion that I have quite big breasts. The knee-socks get discarded and I discover the delight of really classy sheer tights (yes, they are allowed by the dress-code). My mother and I are informed that I also will go shopping tonight. If nothing else I need new shoes since my feet are too big to “inherit” any of the available. So I was partially right earlier, my shoes are good enough for the time being. When ready we really look like twins. Well, if you count one rather demure in regulation length skirt and tights and one faux-innocent Lolita-wannabe in too short pleated skirt, practically see-through blouse and knee-socks. Yes, yes, I know my description may be influenced by my hopelessly outdated standards.

“Peter, Judy. Hurry up!”
Despite our early start we are running late so mom drives us to school. We get there just in time for the bell. My mates all get stunned expressions when they see me but there is no time to talk as we walk into the class-room.

Damn, I had forgotten that we have Mrs. White today. The most bigoted teacher in school. I know I’m going to hate what’s coming. Luckily I’m way back in the crowd and initially she’s focussing on those wearing short skirts (including you-know-who). Now she sees me. I can see her face change. Heeere it comes!

“Judy, how nice to see you dressed like the proper young lady you are and not like some grubby tomboy!” AAARGH!

Peter really shouldn’t have worn those thong panties when falling off his chair laughing, especially not wearing that short skirt.

up
255 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Fell for it

Usually I can sniff out the turnabout but this one was executed with great skill. I went back to see if there were any clues but the author was VERY careful with pronouns and the phrasing making the denouement all the better when it came. Hat's off for a job well done!

Commentator
Visit my Caption Blog: Dawn's Girly Site

Visit my Amazon Page: D R Jehs

If Commentator's Right. --

-- and from the story's cleverness with word choices, that does seem to be the case -- it seems odd that the female twin would have larger feet. (She probably doesn't have a larger frame, since Peter's one unaltered skirt isn't short on her.)

Eric

Feet

The shoe size part may seem odd but we are all individuals. I and a cousin of the other sex, but of the same frame, once tried switching shoes and failed because the male had too small feet.

Bru

I got lost. I think I

I got lost. I think I assumed that the main character is a boy, but apparently she's a girl. I didn't get the boy wearing the thong. Hmmm.....

----------------------------
May the Stars light your path.
Joy

Map

Read commentator's post and then re-read the story

Maria

I had read where

in the 90's a high school student went to school dressed in his sister's hand-me-downs, and was promptly suspended. The student's parents sued the school and school board for the right of their child to dress in any way he chose fit. The case went all the way to the US Supreme Court, where 9 justices agreed that a mode of dress is a way of speaking, and they said that the school board and school denied this student the freedom of speech guaranteed by the first amendment. So this student attended school dressed in skirt sets, and dresses.

This story reminded me of that case. This was written very well, and I could just see the two fraternal twins having it out in the girl's bedroom, and the mother sighing and giving the boy a chance to see what it is like to be dressed as a girl. Apparently the teacher didn't catch on, because she addressed the boy by a girl's name...his sister's? Well whatever, this is a light, even humorous story that actually made me giggle. Thank you for sharing.

Be strong, because it is in our strength that we can heal.

Love & Hugs,
Barbara

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

A Breath of Fresh Air

Cleverly done.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Going to school

Cute story.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

giggles!

funny stuff!

DogSig.png

Who's Who.

Daphne Xu's picture

I finally figured out who's who in the story.

But really, would Judy be in for a lot of teasing? I doubt it.

-- Daphne Xu

Sorry,

Even after a couple,of re-reads I still can't see it... Must be a language problem.

Anne Margarete

The Twist

Daphne Xu's picture

The narrator is Judy, who wears boyish or tomboyish clothes. The sibling who wears girls' clothes all the time is Peter. Judy has decided she felt like dressing like a "proper" girl this day.

-- Daphne Xu

Rereading a Bru

Daphne Xu's picture

Usually when I reread a Bru story, I remember enough to recall what the twist is going to be, and this one fell right into line.

But one thing specifically I noticed this time: the year it was posted, and "Author: New Author Bru". Apparently, even in his very first post here, Bru's twistiness was at its full maturity.

-- Daphne Xu

Once upon a time a long, long time ago

I decided to see if I could write a TG story without revealing the gender of the protagonist(s). I could.

This was my first story here. At the time the concept of the story was considered novel. As I said that was a long time ago ;). Anyone who reads this story now after reading some of my other stories will probably not think that the idea is that special. (However, please note that this story was posted pre-kudos and all the votes prior to the kudos system were wiped out, (sob, sob))

At the time I only wrote two stories before, as I thought at the time, stopping to post here. The other one, "How do I Love Thee?", was one of the few stories I deliberately have written with a message. The message is not that popular but both these early stories remain among my favourites.

As ever it's nice to see a comment on one of my older stories. Thank you!

You're Welcome

Daphne Xu's picture

You're welcome.

You challenged yourself to write a "TG story without revealing the gender of the protagonist(s)". And once you succeeded, there was no turning back, especially having established your trademark twist.

"... all the votes prior to the kudos system were wiped out, (sob, sob)". Well, seeing 193 kudos and 18,000+ views, I have to admit, not too much sympathy. My two most popular stories of the past half-decade have 5000+ readers, and 165 and 167 kudos. Since "Our Daughter's Prom Date" (about 2.7 years ago!), I've received no response even remotely near.

And I still have no idea what's up with the response to "John's Living Nightmare" (a response not seen on Fictionmania).

EDIT 14 Months Later: Now over 215 kudos, and approaching 20,000 hits.

-- Daphne Xu