At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 63

Printer-friendly version

At last ‘A life’
By Julie D Cole
Chapter 63 Something about Jessica

‘Is it that Jessica is not your niece and maybe even that she is like me and was not born a girl?’

‘Chrissy where on earth did that come from? Who would say that? Why would you think that?’

‘Well it is just that my family and I were talking about Aunt Judith, my dad and Darren Harper, your dad. We saw somewhere that he had three children and you know that we’d all been wondering if I was his child too.’

‘Well Chrissy why would you suspect she was not my niece or that she was not a girl? Maybe it will be more clear after I explain a little bit.’

‘Sorry Kate I’m embarrassed with myself for saying that but you know that sometimes people add two and two and get six.’

‘Yes that is the problem with guesswork and you know me I like to base on facts rather than assumptions.’

‘Kate, I’m sorry.’

‘Chrissy at least I’m happy to explain and then you will know the truth. I owe you and your family that but please take care.’

Kate then explained that when Jessica had approached her teens her adopted parents had problems with her as I’d learned before. I thought it was because she found out that she was given up for adoption but it seemed to be a bit more complex.

Kate said Jessica was prone to a lot of mood swings as she was growing up and that she locked herself in her bedroom for long periods. She always seemed to argue about anything at all and then she had periods of aggression or abusiveness and swearing, that were followed by feeling of sadness and then guilt feelings.

It seemed to get worse by the day so they’d been to see two or 3 doctors who diagnosed different forms of depression that they'd all thought were related to her finding out she was adopted. The last one thought it was more serious so prescribed treatment by drugs.

Eventually they’d reached the end of their tether and visited Darren to seek his help since he was the true grandfather and they wanted some financial support for more private consultations and treatment.

Kate then told me that her dad had recommended a specialist to help who he’d known from university but was annoyed that they weren't following it up. They were only seeking financial help so he arranged for his friend to carry out assessments who later became a close family friend.

Jessica's step parents continued to pester Kate’s dad and they’d carried on with the treatment and advice from their own family doctor. Jessica was even more difficult to handle. Eventually the specialist took over because Jessica wasn’t doing very well at school either and she had a lot of time absent. Worst of all the drugs that had been prescribed had caused other problems and she was ridiculed by her friends.

‘So they were more interested in money than sorting out Jessica’s problems. What was wrong with Jessica?’

‘Chrissy she had a mood disorder that dad had discussed with his friend who’d suggested it was probably some form of bipolar disorder and that the drugs might not help. He recognised from some research that the type of drugs prescribed were for adults and that they were were dangerous to young children. HE wanted to have a second opinion and to have Jessica checked by an expert.’

'So what was wrong with Jessica with this illness?'

‘As I said she was having more frequent displays of anger and irritability and sometimes she talked a lot , then she’d get silly. She was driving her parents crazy since she at that stage hardly slept and played loud music every night.She said nobody loved her.'

‘Kate is that what Jessica suffers a little bit now?’

‘In a way but it’s been controlled a lot since dad intervened and paid for specialist help. The drugs weren’t any use at all and delayed the onset of her puberty. They were giving her some masculine features as a side effect and her characteristics changed and she looked very boyish for a while. That caused a lot more problems at school.

'My recollection was that she looked much more boyish than you did when I met you and it took some time to correct.Dad had to interfere and the family have been involved ever since. Family has to take care of family and Jessica shouldn’t have been given up for adoption.’

‘Chrissy dad got involved at the right time and stopped the drugs but the damage was done and Jessica can never have children but at least her mood swings and periods of aggression have been controlled. That’s why you’ve seen her appear fine one day and then she switches personality or does something out of her normal nature.’

‘Kate I can understand a little bit more and I can understand why you have looked after her at work.’

‘Chrissy you don’t need to worry about what I’ve done since Dave Roberts knows the full story and it’s all in Jessica’s file. We are trying to use her talents and make up for disrupted education because she is very intelligent despite her lack of qualifications. Jessica is still under the care of a psychiatrist with periodic assessments.'

'She’s made good progress and that’s why I asked you to help.‘Jessica was misdiagnosed and had been given dangerous adult medications that could have killed her. So she was lucky it was caught in time.I was sorry we had to move her back to store management but maybe we can try again later.’

‘Kate how sad for poor Jessica, I feel awful, if only people knew.I would like to help if I can’

‘Chrissy I do appreciate that but remember that it’s not something to make public knowledge since it’s not fair to Jessica. She’s come a long way these last few years.’

‘Kate is it the same psychiatrist or specialist that you want me to see.’

‘Yes if possible since he knows about you already. He checked me out because this medical condition that Jessica had can be hereditary. I have had several consultations with him myself but we won’t go into that just now if you don’t mind since I’m late already. Maybe we can talk again later. Here is the number of his secretary so please make an appointment for yourself and the Company will pay. I’ll see to that with Dave.’

When I left Kate I sat and reflected a lot. I felt sad that poor Jessica had had such a bad start in life and lucky that at least mum and dad had taken care of me. It seemed I drew a lot better straw in life than the one that Jessica drew.

Imagine to be adopted and then find out about your true family later. So maybe her anger hadn’t been that at all. Maybe it was her illness and the drugs.

I cried a little bit and I wanted to tell Anne and mum and Julie but I didn’t think I should. How could I help now? I didn’t feel that I could just reject Jessica if she left and whilst she wasn’t really my family we did have some sort of common history.

I thought I might try to meet her and that I should find the ring that she gave me. I didn’t think I could just forget about all this.

I called her and asked if she’d like to meet me the following day since I wanted to thank her for this opportunity with Kate. She was surprised and very happy to accept.

I felt better already and then called and made an appointment to see the psychiatrist, who was Mr. Twomey I’d managed to see him at 8-30 the following day as a favor because of the connection with Kate. She was right that I’d be looked after.

To be continued ……….

up
144 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks Julie,

ALISON

'a more than interesting chapter which shows what Jessica has been going through,poor girl.Chrissie,of course ,
shows what a nice girl she has become by wanting to help Jessica through her troubles.

ALISON

I couldn't agree with you more...

Andrea Lena's picture

...Chrissie remains just a wonderful human being, and this news, coming on the heels of Sally's 'test' makes me glad. I've been believing in Jessica almost from the start, and I'm so glad to see my faith in her and in Kate's handling of the situation has been vindicated. Like I said; I feel like a house mother at a sorority, and I feel very protective of all your girls.


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 63

Never expected that bout Jessica.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

We deal with similar issues

My oldest step son has had a harder time than he needed tp have in his young life, thanks to a version of Bipolar Disorder. He spends some time with his real Dad, who didn't give him the meds he needs because "his son didn't have mental issues. He's a good kid, but he has to keep on his meds, otherwise his treatment is inefficient and of less value. Grrr. I hate idiots.

Wren

Kate passed the honesty test with stumbling colors...

Ole Ulfson's picture

Some truth; just a little about Jessica, but lots held back. 'Course, I could be wrong! "Dame Agatha" still has wheels within wheels! Each time you open one box, you find another.

No; I didn't dis Julie by referring to her as a dame. No, I certainly don't think she's old. "Dame" is the honorific for a female member of The OBE: The female equivalent of a Knight! And for this intricate story she should be nominated. For keeping all the loose strings in order she should be accepted!

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

This is

my new favorite chapter of any story I've read on this site. I was completely caught by surprise, I didn't anticipate this at all, and I love it! So many times I've read a story and I knew exactly what was going to happen next - and this one has caught me by surprise numerous times with little twists and turns. I really love more than anything how Chrissy keeps going back and forth trying to come to grips with who she is, I remember spending so very much time doing just that when I was figuring myself out.