At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 13

Printer-friendly version

. At last ‘A life’
By Julie D Cole
Chapter 13 Is life getting better or not?

Mum panicked as usual, ‘Who could that be at this time, it’s 11-30pm?’

‘Hello, Yes Christine is here, who is speaking please?...James? Is it about work?’
I cringed and rushed to take the telephone ‘it’s OK mum it’s James, I met him last weekend at the hen night. Don’t worry he’s just a friend’

She looked at Julie and shook her head as I took the phone. I hoped they’d both leave the room but they were pretending to tidy up until they’d found a little more out. ‘I stopped talking and said ‘Mum…please’

They got the message. ‘Sorry James my mobile is OK but the battery is low because I was talking to Sally. I forgot to re-charge it today with all the excitement at work.’ He said he’d buy me a new mobile if I went to Birmingham and could have the best in the shop with the biggest battery.

So I filled him in with the details of what had happened at work and how well I’d been welcomed after the ground breaking weekend with the girls from the office. He asked how mum had reacted so I told him the story and he was very complementary and said Aunt Judith must have been 'a looker.' He made me smile and he said that this experience of a new daughter might be very nice for mum. Maybe she could open up to me as Christine and talk about Aunt Judith. I said I thought he was very perceptive and I would let him know if he was right.
Then I asked him where the 'Wicked Witch of West Birmingham' was? Had she been in touch.

He hesitated and then said he’d met her that evening and that was the real reason he was late calling me. He was having a hard time convincing her that he was serious to separate and she’d begged him all night long to change his mind. My name had cropped up but only as 'your bit of Floosie' James said packing in was nothing to do with Christine since we’d only met a few hours before she was stupid and threw the water. It made me worry a bit that she might be looking for me so I felt uncomfortable and told James it might be too dangerous to visit the following weekend.

But he kept re-assuring me and saying I'd be with him all the time and not to be frightened of her since she wasn't so bad as it had appeared. But I remembered the mall and the look in her eyes. James persisted so eventually caved in and said I’d sort things out with Sally tomorrow. ‘Well today actually since it’s 12-15am’

He wished me sweet dreams and said he would dream about me. I asked if he had nightmares regularly and he laughed. I promised to call him later and to re-charge my mobile phone. He then laughed aloud and said he’d throw it in the river after I got a new one.

I turned off the downstairs lights and went upstairs as quietly as possible. I whispered goodnight to mum and then cleaned my teeth but I suppose the electric toothbrush made more noise than my tiptoes.

Julie’s bedroom light was still on so I went in as she’d left the door ajar hoping to catch me. As I whispered goodnight she beckoned me over and pulled back the duvet cover.

Come on ‘Sis’ I can’t sleep until I know more about this James character who rings so late at night. I snuggled up beside her and she was warm and smelled nice. She kissed my cheek and pulled me down under the duvet where it was more cosy. We giggled like silly schoolgirls and she stroked my false bosom and said I made a very pretty sister and that it had been wonderful that mum and finally talked about Aunt Judith because I looked like her. She said we should try to talk more but maybe that might be easier for me to do because of the resemblance. We both wanted to find out more about Aunt Judith and to see if mum had some old photos.

I’d never snuggled up in bed before with my sister and we hugged each other. She looked at me and said ‘I’m here for you as Chris or Christine so just relax and be who you want to be.’ But she wouldn't let me go to sleep until I told her if he was handsome and tall or short and fat. I hit her playfully and we giggled. I said that we'd danced and he'd kissed me and admitted that he'd got aroused and pressed against me and that he picked me up and carried me outside to make love in the bushes. She said 'Get Lost sister - in your dreams!'. We laughed and I said the first part was true and I dreamed the rest. But I did admit he seemed to be quite a big boy and I was not sure I should go too far with him. Then she hit my arm and tickled my tummy. We agreed to leave it for now since there wasn't too much to say as it was just an acquaintance. 'Yes but he's your first date!!'

Then she asked me about Sally and I told her that I really liked her and that we had slept together. 'OMG did you do anything?'

I admitted that we'd made love together but without any sexual penetration and I asked her not to say anything to anybody. Then she laughed and said the Wicked witch was right, 'I was a floosie'. Two relationships in parallel? Any more she should know about and record in the family diary? She is very funny.

After a while we were both sleepy so I asked if I could stay in her warm bed and sleep with her because I felt so nice. She whispered ‘No Problem, Sis,' and turned off the light and wrapped her arms around me.'Sweet dreams. Boy or Girl? Or both maybe. HaHa' That deserved a smack on the bum that she received.

I don’t remember a thing after that until I heard mum use the bathroom the next morning. It was 7am so I had to move quickly as I’d to meet Kate. Julie got out of bed even though she wasn’t working since she wanted to help me prepare myself properly. She looked through her wardrobe whilst I showered and dried. I looked at my hairless body and as I looked in the mirror I saw I was much more Christine than Chris and my bust seemed to have swelled a little and my nipples were sticking out after the hot water. No need to shave much these days but I thought I’d better check for stubble and decided I was OK.

Julie had picked out a beige tunic dress that was sleeveless and a white long sleeved blouse so that I would look more like a PA than an office assistant and selected some 10 deneor dark brown tights and black heels. She found me an underskirt and a light tan matching bra and pants set. Then she said we needed to shop to fit me out so since I was working she’d do it for me at least to set me off.

I said ‘What about the money? How much do you need?’ Her reply was ‘Tut tut..don’t worry I’ll use my credit card and give you the bill later’. Then we joined mum who was boiling some eggs and had set the breakfast bar with fruit juice, yoghurt and some fruit. We had 10 minute chat and I told mum James had invited Sally and I down to Birmingham next weekend. She said ‘please slow down a little and let’s all discuss it later. Then I said I was meeting Sally after work so I wouldn’t be hope until around 10 pm and she smiled and shook her head. ‘What happened to my reclusive son who liked to stay in of an evening?’

I left and said ‘He was too quiet and a little bit boring. Not like Julie and I. Ha-Ha!’
Julie offered to give me a lift and arranged to return for mum so they’d go to a mall together. I went to the bathroom to do my make-up quickly followed by Julie who checked and made some small adjustments. She said ‘You’ll do but don’t go breaking any more hearts yet till you’ve repaired the others!, I tapped her arm and said ‘Thanks Sis, I love you’…’I love you too!!’

I arrived at the office 10 minutes early so I called at my desk and said hello to Jessica who was always in at 8am. She said to go up to Kate’s office and settle in until she arrived and then I’d probably have to meet Jenny from the HR and Admin Department. I gathered a few personal bits and pieces and went upstairs to Kate’s Office.

On my desk was a welcome note with a large bouquet of flowers so my first job might be to find a vase.

There was a small kitchen and I found one in one of the cupboards. There was also a coffee machine so I cleaned it and started some fresh coffee.

About 9-15am I had just placed the flowers on the sideboard when Kate arrived. ‘Morning, morning,morning’ Her arms were full as usual and she was grateful that I helped her to unload. ‘She said ‘The coffee smells great. Let’s have one together and have a little chat’.

She said that I looked very smart and I gave credit to Sis. Then she sipped her coffee and looked me in the eyes. ‘Chris are you sure that you are OK with this?

I nodded and said that I was very comfortable and that mum and Julie offered their full support. So she said ‘Let’s give it a try then and I’ll show you the rope’.

Her PA was quite organized and I was impressed with the tidiness of her desk and the organized computer files. It did seem like a well run paperless office.

Kate came up to me and gave me a pile of receipts and asked me to look at the expenses file and then make out an expense report. She had a meeting at 10-30 am and so she asked me to quickly go meet HR and be back before 10-15am.

Then the telephone rang and she was lost in a deep conversation with someone called Bernie. So I took the opportunity to freshen up and then went to the third floor to meet HR department.

I met Wendy who was a friend of Vicky and she said I looked great and asked me to go into their conference room. The HR Manager was Dave Roberts who had set me on and mentored me for a while during which time I’d done well.

He closed the door behind him and sat down.

Then he said ‘Well Chris I don’t believe what I see and I don’t like what I see so please tell me all about it’

To be continued…..

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

OMG!!

ALISON

There is always one,isn't there.I think that they live under rocks and crawl out once every so often.

ALISON

At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 13

Wicked Witch of West Birmingham? What a Title.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Do James Know ?

tmf's picture

I'm not sure if i miss someting or not, but Christine seem to tell James that she use to be Chis, and look like his Aunt Judith, when in feminine mode.

tmf

I Mostly Agree...

with T.M.F., but my take was that James already knew the Chris/Christine story:

> He asked how mum had reacted so I told him the story and he was very complementary and said Aunt Judith must have been 'a looker.' He made me smile and he said that this experience of a new daughter might be very nice for mum. <

I hurriedly scanned chapters 8 thru 12 and did not see where Christine told James or any other instance where James found out. James was physically attracted and turned on by Christine as a womyn. The story doesn't give any info that James might be bi or into TVs, but James sounded completely accepting of Christine's secret when he called on the phone.

Julie, I'm embarrassed that my first comment is this question about the story. I like your story a lot; at first it seemed "run of the mill", but then started growing on me. (I had to keep brushing it off my skin. ;-D ) I appreciate your work, skill and talent. Thank you for posting the story here at BCTS!

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Ready for work, 1992. Renee_3.jpg

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

James' Comment to Chris...

...that you quoted would certainly seem to strongly suggest that he knows; there's not much explanation for the "new daughter" part if he doesn't. And it wouldn't be unreasonable, since he invited her to a gay bar when they first met. The real question may be whether the "wicked witch" is a genetic female.

But you'd think Christine would have picked up on James' reassurance, since the question was (for good reason) so much on her mind.

Eric

I mostly agree

You have to keep reading I suppose.I'm glad for comments and especially if interest increases since I just hoped this story was different. I am glad that it is growing on you.
Maybe things become more clear without my explanation but for now I'm happy that it had so much interest since I am a novice on this site.
Julie

Jules

OK. Now I'm confused! Did I miss a chapter?

Ole Ulfson's picture

When did James, the rat, learn about Chris?

On the positive side Julie, Mom, Kate and all the girls are being wonderfully supportive.

THEN THERE'S DAVE! I think I'll see what happens in the next chapter before I comment on Dave.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

Of course,

there has to be at least one bigoted idiot in every office, I think it is mandated by law.