At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 59

Printer-friendly version

At last ‘A life’
By Julie D Cole
Chapter 59 After dinner chat

Sally looked a little sad when I’d recognized James mobile number on my missed calls.

I didn’t feel inclined to call him back straight away because dinner was ready. So to make Sally more comfortable I said I hadn’t heard from him for a few days and it could wait.

I wanted to do this so that she felt better. She was becoming part of our family and we were becoming very close.

I had realised a few times this last week or so that I hadn’t ever had such a close friend before, even at school where lots of us were together all day long. She had just accepted me when we met and didn't question my sexuality. I felt that this was why I'd gained in confidence so quickly and when I reflected on it my progress had been pretty remarkable.

We’d been almost forced to be together by Jessica and then she'd become jealous of our blossoming relationship. But maybe we wereen't forced together at all and maybe it was fate that we met each other. Just two quiet people looking for more in life who happened to be in the right place at the right time.

We seemed to be good for each other so perhaps it was fate.

Or was it? Maybe I could say the same thing about meeting James? He made me feel different but I hadn’t really had chance to get to know him with everything that had happened.

As things had developed I wasn’t sure just now that he was right for me. I liked him but I wondered why he’d been attracted to me. I was nothing like his former girlfriend or his friends who were with him in Birmingham.

‘Come on Chris, dinner is ready. We are waiting for you. Stop daydreaming.’

‘Mum I wasn’t daydreaming I was just thinking of how to tell James that I need some space to sort myself out. I am only just feeling comfortable with myself and its largely because of you three and also Kate of course.’

Julie chipped in as she cut herself some garlic bread ‘Don’t forget Jessica, she started all this and she encouraged you to dress as Chrissy. She likes you a lot I think and seemed happy to encourage you. She fancies you I think and don't forget that she gave you a ring. By the way where’s it gone?’

‘Mmm I know she did but at that time I daren’t upset her by refusing the ring. I put it in a drawer somewhere. I prefer to give it back at the right time. I suppose I do owe her for persuading me to dress like this and be myself. Whether she intended it or not she has helped me and this change has improved my life. But I still feel that Kate was behind it all.’

We had a nice chat together as we devoured everything. For once I didn’t worry about limiting my intake. We were eating and talking and talking and eating and the subject was mainly about the weekend and whether or not we should eat together or leave mum and dad to do their own thing.’

Mum didn’t like that part of it and she said that it was all too quick and she needed to see how she felt when her and dad met again. He’d had another relationship since they split up and mum hadn’t.

Maybe that's because women can’t just quickly forget a relationship and find another partner so quickly. They seem to have have deeper feelings about personal relationships. I'd often thought my feelings were more like a womans feelings than a man. Men haven’t got the same emotions or loyalty and that doesn't seem to be me. I know how I would have felt if my partner or even my husband I suppose had left.

I could understand dad might need someone to look after him but on the other hand mum was strong and would look after herself. But also she took full responsibility for Julie and I even though we were grown up a lot at the time they parted.I wouldn't know if dad really was serious about this other person in his life or if he just met her on the rebound. He probably welcomed comfort and liked someone to look after him.

Maybe I was getting too serious about myself. Perhaps I am non standard if there is such a thing. Is there a middle sex and is that me? But maybe not. However right now I could empathize with mum more than dad.

'Come on Chrissy, wake up.'

Julie was exited and she was already sorting out our schedule. She said she intended that we took maximum benefit from the spa package. I was very happy to let her be the organizer even though she did scare me a bit when she turned and said. 'How about a bikini wax?'

‘ No way.’ I said I’d prefer to manage with a ladyshave thank you very much.’

But she was serious and didn't let it go. She said that summer was coming and that she needed to be trim for her bikinis. She said I needed to consider these things now I was Chrissy. 'We girls have to take care of the details you know and keep them interested.'

We soon cleared up dinner with four to share the load and then whilst Julie made coffee I called James. Sally was quiet but I could see she wasn’t listening to TV. She had one ear cocked like a soft cuddly little spaniel dog.

James was a bit cool over the telephone because he’d been interrogated about the credit card fraud and he didn’t like it. He’d also had a visit from the police that was very embarrassing in front of his mum.

After I quizzed him more he told me that someone from behind the bar at the nightclub had been sacked and at the nightclub amongst the staff it was rumored that it was to do with cash discrepancies. It seemed that somebody else was also involved but James didn’t know who it was. His friend, the security person suspected it was the girl who looked after the accounts.She was a friend of James former girlfriend as it happened and so he knew her.

I just said ‘So it wasn’t Jessica then after all?’ and Sally picked up on it immediately.
‘She whispered ‘What do you mean?’

I stopped to tell her what James had said and she just said ‘I don’t believe it. She is involved somewhere, I’m sure of it.’

I told James what we were doing at the weekend and about our attempts to match make with mum and dad. He had hoped to try to meet but I said for him to be patient since I had to work out my mind and decide about my future and the job with Kate.

‘You’re crazy Chrissy. You should bite off her hand for a chance like that. I think this is your opportunity to change your life and where else will you get a boss like her who is so supportive. It’s unusual that something like this is so readily accepted, especially when it’s someone in her position. ’

I told him that Kate had helped Jessica and that now she was helping me. ‘Chrissy she might feel some sort of obligation to help Jessica but there is no connection with you.’
So I told him about the relationship between Kate’s dad and Aunt Judith and that he knew mum and dad.

‘Well there is still something strange going on as far as I can see and you won’t hear a bad word said about Kate so what can I say.’

‘James I don’t need you to say anything thanks. I have to make my own judgement and then decide my future and what sort of a life I want. Right now I’ve never been happier in my life even though this last two weeks has been full of twists and turns.’

‘OK, I won’t interfere. But I find it hard to believe that you will revert back to a life as Chris even though it doesn’t matter to me either way. I’d still like to be friends with you.'

‘Thanks for understanding James. I’d like to stay friends too and maybe to meet soon when I’m ready. But I do care a lot about Sally.’

He went quiet and I felt a bit bad. So I just said that I like him a lot and thanked him for his kindness. I told him I might call after the weekend if he’d like me to keep him updated.’

He just said ‘OK great. Please do’ and that he’d look forward to good news.

I sat next to Sally and she whispered ‘thanks’

Julie brought in the coffee and mum opened a box of Black Magic chocolates that I’d bought her for Christmas. ‘Time to spoil ourselves and indulge.

You two can work off the calories this weekend. Your dad already knows what I look like. It’s too late for me to start slimming.’

Sally started to tell mum not to put herself down but Julie said to take no notice. ‘She knows she’s OK and she’s just fishing for complements.’

Julie opened her laptop to show us the details of the hotel and I said for me this was indeed going to be a very special and unique occasion. First because I’m normally 3 star or less, second because I was checking in as Chrissy, but mostly because I’d never dreamt about having the chance to do what girls like to do and be pampered.

I realised that most men would never waste money on a pamper day. Maybe as Chris I would have felt like that too. But now as Chrissy I wanted to go no matter what it cost. I wanted to indulge myself. I was keen to try it and asked if I need a bathing suit.

Julie quipped ‘It’s up to you sis but maybe you want to use your birthday suit?’

‘No way.’

‘Well I think I can fit you out and I think I can even help you produce a nice cleavage.’

The cushion went flying and almost knocked mums coffee from her side table.

‘Girls please. Behave yourselves.’

Julie just giggled even more and all I could do was stick out my tongue.

As we sipped our coffees Sally said she thought it was a great idea since it was an opportunity to relax before making my important decisions. She asked what James had said.

I told her he’d accused me of never hearing a bad word about Kate that irritated me. His retort was to say that there was something strange about all this.

Julie piped up again. ‘See that’s almost the same as what I said earlier. I said something doesn’t fit here. I still can’t quite put my finger on it.’

‘I can’t help it if Kate took me under her wing and gave me a chance. Probably she had her reasons like she said …family look after family.’

‘Yes but you’re not family.’

‘Well maybe we know that now but she wasn’t to know.’

‘Sure she did. She must have known from her dad that he wasn’t your real father. He knew mum and dad.’

‘Girls do you mind changing the subject. It’s not nice to be reminded you know.’

I said sorry to mum but Julie didn’t stop.

‘Look we know that Jessica is Kate’s niece because she admitted it and we know she has looked after her. Maybe she did suspect that you were her half sister until it was made clear that you aren’t. But if so she didn’t need to offer you a promotion or to give you a raise and side-track Jessica back to the supermarket job.’

‘No she didn’t but she did. Maybe she just likes me or maybe I have proved myself good at my job. Strange things happen sometimes you know .’

‘Yes I know but I can’t remember what it was that happened or what might have been said. It’s annoying me.’

Then Sally chipped in and said that at least Jessica might calm down again with less pressure on her Maybe that was what made her so aggressive and vindictive.

Mum just said she thought that Jessica has probably suffered because she felt rejected as a child and it wasn’t unusual.

Then Julie jumped up ‘Mum that’s what it was. Where is my computer.’

To be continued …………….

up
119 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Two words!

Andrea Lena's picture
Yay! and YAY!

Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 59

STILL after Jessica? Go for it!

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

One step nearer...

...finding out exactly what Julie's suspicions are regarding Jessica / Kate / Chrissy. Although it wouldn't surprise me if you're cruel enough to leave us hanging until chapter 65+ for the big reveal :)

And we have a further update on the Chrissy / Sally / James relationship triangle ('love' triangle is probably a bit strong a word to use at the moment, although it's clear Chrissy and Sally have a very close relationship).

I wonder what new insights we'll discover by this time next week? :)

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

FINALLY some answers as to WHY

Evil cliff hanger, making us wait.

-- grin --

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. I thought it was very telling of our hero/heroine's thoughts that maybe he/she was a third sex but then she seemed to dismiss that.

All this rush to make her a female. It's only been two weeks. Perhaps that thought was her telling herself to slow down. That maybe full HRT/SRS is not her way forward just as is being himself again is likely not but some middle ground is if he/she can find it.

How does it go " to thine own self be true." He/she must be their person and not what Kate or others want him/her to want. If they coincide great but ultimately it is his/her life not theirs.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip

Jules
I have been hoping for your constructive feedback. I didn't want to slip by getting too over confident writing this story and I hoped you would still be interested to read and comment again.
Sorry if this has been a long two weeks whilst Chrissy tries to find him/herself and have a life at last.
Is the middle ground safe to land upon? Maybe not.
Thanks again.
Julie

Jules

I know exactly how Chrissie feels...

Ole Ulfson's picture

About relationships. I can't and never could have multiple relationships or concentrate on more than one person at a time. It was painful to me on occasions when I found That those I cared for weren't as serious. It always took me a long time to get over a relationship so I can see why Jennifer never moved on.

And I would love to spend a day or more being pampered and cared for especially if I could share it with someone I love. So I guess I do have a feminine personality in some ways. And a BIG: So there to the person who said I was just a man and shouldn't be here!

And it looks like Julie's about to produce another breakthrough. Wonderful!!!

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!