At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 17

Printer-friendly version

At last ‘A life’
By Julie D Cole
Chapter 17 New Domestic arrives

I recognized the voice immediately. It was Jessica.
She had a big smile on her face. ‘ Hi gorgeous I knew you wouldn’t be able to resist my invitation’.

I wasn’t sure whether it was a joke or not but I wasn’t feeling very sociable towards her since I’d just found out from Julie that she was going to kick Sally out from her apartment. I was sure this was because of her jealousy and I was ready to say something awful to her but I thought better of it and bit my tongue. I never had such an angry feeling before. I just smiled as best I could through my teeth and thought I’d better see Sally first.

She asked if I had was doing anything and my answer was ‘Yes you know that I’m meeting Sally for a chat.’ ‘But I can’t stop just now since Kate is waiting for these documents and I have to go’.

.
Jessica looked at me and said she’d asked Anne to arrange something with the rest of the girls after work but she’d said I’d declined that wasn’t true of course. She then said she understood I might be available tomorrow night and asked me to call her later because she wanted to know if I was interested to move into her apartment so I could be more free to be Christine. I couldn’t contain myself and just said ‘Really and what about Sally she is supposed to be your friend?’ Are you joking?’

She just shrugged her shoulders and said Sally was getting on her nerves and I shouldn’t worry about her but think about myself.

’Then she said to think about it and to call her a bit later and she’d meet me somewhere away from the office or have lunch tomorrow to have a proper chat. I just said ‘I’ll call you later but I wanted to say ‘Get lost you little bitch!’

I hurried upstairs to Kates office as fast as the lift would take me and I was relieved that I hadn’t reacted. At least it wasn’t Peter Frampton who sent the message as I’d suspected but I don’t know whose phone Jessica had used to mislead me. At least I needn’t worry about Peter for now and I could be easier in his company and smile without feeling that I was egging him on.

Kate said ‘Come on Chrissy where have you been slow coach.’ She wanted some photographs of the signing ceremony so she’d arranged for our corporate PR office to send a photographer who was setting up his camera. I stood back and watched as Kate and Mr Johnson had photos taken and then a few more with Peter and Katie. Then Katie asked me to join them and I blushed but I couldn’t refuse. They wanted more drinking champagne but first Kate wanted one of me alone and winked and said this was for the Company magazine. On page 3! She smiled at me and apologized for her teasing but said ‘it would be nice to have a professional shot of me.’.

I then went to get the champagne that was a good excuse for me to ask Kate to have a photo taken with me to show mum and Julie. Less than two days into this job and I was drinking with the boss. Who would believe it?
They soon finished and Kate took them downstairs. I clea

red up Kates office and and was washing the glasses when she arrived back with the happiest face I’d ever seen. ‘That was a good days work Chrissy we deserve a bonus for that. She said I looked very domesticated in rubber gloves and teased me again by offering me a job as her ‘domestic’.

A little bit later she came over to me at my desk and said she’d arranged a gift for me for a pamper day and she gave me a print of the detailed itinerary that she’d downloaded.from the website. She said she might go with me if I didn’t mind and to think about it. Why was everybody suddenly interested in me as Chrissy and not as Chris. I was beginning to like the nickname but thought it might be nice to keep it between Kate and I.
At 5-30pm I told Kate that I was meeting Sally if she didn’t mind me leaving on time and she smiled and said to have a nice time and that she already appreciated my support. I felt really nice and just said ‘It is my pleasure.’

As I left the building it was raining a little bit so I tried to run to the bus shelter in my heels. This wasn’t easy and I had to take short little steps. The sound of my shoes tapping on the pavement made me feel especially feminine. I wished I’d got an umbrella but at least I could get shelter until the bus came. Shirley from reception was there and said ‘No lift tonight Christine?’ I told her I was meeting a friend and we then chatted about it until the bus arrived. I sent Sally a text and she replied to say she was just arriving at the wine bar.

It was only 3 stops to the top of George street where the restaurant was located but as I stepped off it was still raining. I popped into a little gift shop and bought an umbrella. Nothing too expensive but one that matched my handbag a little bit. Well at least no clash. My first gift to myself as Chrissy. I wanted to go shopping but would have to wait and just now most shops were closing as 6pm approached. Then I saw a nice bracelet with a lucky charm on it and couldn’t resist to buy it. It hung nicely from my wrist and had places to add more charms so I couldn’t resist it.

I put up the umbrella and walked down George street in the rain admiring myself in shop windows and thinking ‘Who’s that girl’. Several people hurried past me on their way home and some smiled whilst others put their heads down. I didn’t feel awkward at all and was more and more confident to walk out alone. It was still quite light so I felt fairly safe. But I realized that I needed to take much more care as Chrissy where I walked and who I looked at.

As I walked in the wine bar I was almost knocked over as Sally bounded towards me and hugged me. She kissed me lightly on the lips and I sensed the barman was watching so I tried not to encourage Sally any more and I was a little bit wet to give her a hug.

As I took off my coat she saw the bracelet and commented that she liked it. I told her I’d just bought it together with the umbrella and that I’d seen a matching necklace with silver hearts but couldn’t afford it.

We sat in a small alcove and I ordered a glass of Pinot Grigio and then we looked around to see that the restaurant was already half full. Sally had confirmed our booking for 6-45pm and so we settled safely into our seats where we could explore the menu together. I’d never been out much like this so it was a nice feeling. Here I was with a girlfriend but not as Chris as everybody might have expected but as Chrissy Taylor PA and part time ‘domestic’.

Sally didn’t seem too upset as I thought she might be. I told her I’d met Julie at lunchtime who said that she’d been told Sally and Jessica had fallen out and Sally was moving out of her apartment. Sally said not to worry she had a month to find another place and she’d decided it was time to move on. Then she said it would be nice to find a new house or flat mate and hoped that someone she knew might be interested to move in and share with her. I was embarrassed and put my arm around her. She is so sweet.
She said ‘Interested?’

I laughed a little bit and said if she could wait a few weeks I might be very interested but that I needed time with mum and Julie and to see if I could live like this on a more permanent basis. She gave me a hug and linked arms and we said ‘cheers’.
Then we selected a bottle of wine and focused on the menu. Sally chose Thai fishcakes as a starter and I opted for some smoked salmon and rocket salad. We decided to have halibut fish for the main course with a portion of mashed potatoes and some green vegetables and then we moved through to the table.

We chatted for ages about the weekend and how much we’d enjoyed sharing and once or twice we touched hands until interrupted by something or a waiter. We agreed we’d go to Birmingham so I sent a text to James and within 20 seconds came back ‘Great!!!!’ Mmm I thought how to arrange this and fit in some shopping before I went. Then I realized I still had to see the things that Julie had bought for me and that I needed to talk to mum and go to the hairdresser and buy some make-up and go out with the girls and wondered if I’d ever get chance to find some ‘Chrissy relax time’.

I wanted a proper suitcase and another bag and maybe I should pick up some shoes. I should buy at least 3 or 4 pairs I thought. Then back to dinner and we both were enjoying it so much. It was more expensive than I thought but since I considered this to be a celebration of my ‘coming out’ with a new best friend I decided to pay.

It was soon 10 pm so we thought we’d better get moving and take a taxi from the rank. I used my credit card that said C Taylor and luckily it was accepted without any questions. It had stopped raining as we walked to the rank.

We hugged and kissed and Sally took the first cab and I took the second. The driver was a young guy about my age. I was nervous sitting alone as Chrissy so we didn’t speak and I tried to avoid his stares in the mirror.
As we pulled up he took the money and said “ know someone who lives here.’

To be continued….

up
150 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Julie,

ALISON

'you continue to impress with this lovely story.If only all people were so accepting!
But sometimes we need to get away from reality,yes!

ALISON

Very nice!

Very nice indeed!


Barely modest! Belle

At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 17

Wondering if Chrissy will start having fun on the date scene with guys or flirt with men.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

All aboard the rollercoaster!

Well, you're certainly giving Chrissy a rollercoaster ride through this week of her new life - full of ups (e.g. Sally, Kate) and downs (e.g. Jessica, Peter)!

Never mind the Marmion quote, how about the (not very) ancient (probably not) Chinese (fake) curse: "May you live in more interesting times."

--B


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Surprise, jessica's not a nice person...

Ole Ulfson's picture

Well, I'll try to withstand the shock. Sally, Julie and Kate on the other hand all seem to be keepers. I really look forward to a happy new life for Christine,

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!