At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 55

Printer-friendly version

. At last ‘A life’
By Julie D Cole
Chapter 55 Decisions, Decisions what to do?

‘Oh, I hope it’s good news.’

‘Well sir it does seem like we’ve traced the culprits and the police are now involved. The good news is that your account has been credited by the full amount but in future there will be a tighter control in place so the downside is this may cause some inconvenience for a while.’

But what happens if it is someone that I may know who had a motive? How can I be sure that they won’t try again? Are you sure that you found the people who did it?

‘Well sir that really is a matter for the police to deal with and we have issued you with a new card and new PIN code. There is no reason to be too concerned.’

‘Will you tell me who it is please?’

‘No sir we can’t. All I can tell you is that this is related to your visit to Birmingham when it you reported that you last used the card.’

‘So it’s nothing to do with a security lapse at my workplace?’

‘I can’t say but from my personal experience with these matters it’s more likely to have been a stranger waiting for a chance. Bars and shops are often where you should take most care.’

‘So what do I need to do now?’

‘Nothing but the police may contact you.’

You should have received a new card and a separate letter notifying you of your PIN number.

Yes I got the letters yesterday. But you put Mr Christopher Taylor on my card.’
‘Yes sir that is to increase the security and it is our new policy to put the forename and the family name that has helped to cut down the number of incidents.

Can I suggest that you change the PIN number to one that is easy to remember and to avoid writing it down and don’t use the same PIN number for several cards.’

‘How did this occur since I don’t want it to happen again?’

‘Well we your details have been skimmed and probably someone copied your security numbers so it looks like it is someone took the card away out of your sight.

It’s very likely they could even have found your PIN code because some cash was withdrawn from an ATM machine. Once in Birmingham and the second time in Leeds. Maybe you have confided in someone or let someone use the card. Can you recall if you did?’

‘No definitely not.’

I hadn’t told anybody and had tried to be discreet whenever I used my card. But maybe in the club and in the hotel in Birmingham a few people had been around me and I’d had some drinks so wasn’t as careful as normally am.

‘I am always careful and all I can say is that I don’t think it’s any of my friends and certainly nobody from my family. I wish I was so well off to own several cards. I think I’ve found one is enough.But I did keep my PIN code in my mobile phone memory.’

‘Well sir that may be where someone found it so you should let the police know that when they contact you. In the meantime if we can be of further assistance then please don’t hesitate to call us.’

I did want to ask about changing the name back to C Taylor but now it needed to be Ms Christine Taylor or I’d get pulled each time I used it dressed like this.

I thought that I’d better make a decision what I was going to do and then visit the bank personally.

I wasn’t sure about the legalities and I was still concerned that I might be stopped and arrested or that someone might take a dislike to me and report me. I decided that I had to discuss with doctor and to see my own GP. Maybe he’d give me a letter.

Well at least now I didn’t have to duck into my savings accounts. I was back in credit and hopefully my new card was working. I was itching to try it out but I might need to draw cash than to buy things on my card and use bank machines much more.

So now was I unfair to Jessica? Maybe it wasn’t her after all. But she was in Birmingham and Leeds.

Mmmm I should write down the people and the possible options but most of all choose a PIN number that I could easily remember. 1234, 5678, my birth year, my birthday and month? All too easy. Maybe the year that Aunt Judith died. Mmm silly idea that’s my birth year. OK I’d got it. The date I first dressed as Chrissy would do.

Then I wondered why the card issuers put the security code clearly on the back of cards. It didn’t seem logical to me since it is easy for a shop or a bar to write this down. Mmm maybe I’m better to keep a closer check on my account in future.

Could it have been Jessica. She did seem to have gloated when I had the problems. She was due to meet Kate and Dave Roberts shortly and I was still uncertain whether or not I should tell them about the problems in case she was involved somewhere along the line.

I still couldn’t work out why would she say you deserve everything that’s coming to you. But maybe she’d meant something else and it was all co-incidence.

I opened the first letter that was from my bank who invited me to meet one of their financial advisors from their main branch. It was only 10 minutes walk from our office building so I decided to bite the bullet and call them. I got straight through to their contact who was a very confident woman by the name of Louise.

I’d had to deepen my voice again which made me feel embarrassed and it was a strange feeling. I felt like I was trying to act like a man rather than being natural and I was uncomfortable.

She said she could meet me later in the day or on Friday morning and I said the sooner the better so I’d call her back when I had talked to my boss.

I wanted to open my other post but I had to see Kate before she started her meetings and before Jessica arrived so I went into her office. She was on the phone of course but she beckoned me to sit down.’

I felt a little nervous because she was talking to Dave Roberts from HR. Mainly it seemed to be about appointments and some information he had been checking.

When she came off the phone she apologized and then she asked me if I’d made my decision about accepting the promotion.

‘Kate I’m sorry but I’m still not able to answer until I’ve confirmed if this is me full time or not. It’s a big decision and I need longer to think and talk about it and I want to do a few things first and ensure that I don’t get into trouble.’

‘Look I understand much more than you may think I do so please take a little longer and let’s have a chat on Monday morning. We’ve set up some appointments for you at 4pm this afternoon and another tomorrow all being well that we’ll confirm when Dave arrives.’

‘Thanks Kate I really appreciate your patience and also your understanding.’

‘Chrissy believe me I know what you are going through in your mind and I want to help as much as I can. You only have to ask.’

I said I needed the weekend to think things over and that as each day went by I did feel more and more comfortable and I liked this new job a lot. She looked genuinely pleased and I didn’t want to let her down. I just asked if she minded if I made an appointment to meet my bank to sort out my card and she said OK.

I passed her a file that I’d made up for Jessica that included some reports that I’d printed off and told her I had another one for Anne before her second meeting but that Dave Roberts would bring her personnel and training file. A few minutes later Dave arrived and I left them together.

I made an appointment for 1-30pm with Louise from the bank and decided I’d try to make myself look as nice as possible at lunchtime and then talk openly about myself hoping that she would be discreet. I hadn’t got much choice. Maybe I’d pop to a make up counter and ask for some advice during my lunchbreak.

Yes it’s better than eating and I’d seen how helpful they were many times. I wondered if I could go through with it. What the heck. I had to change my attitude and be more positive and confident if I was going to do this. Why not? I’m not an ogre or some deviant. I’m just a person trying to find him or herself. I need a life.

I was busying myself as Jessica arrived for her appointment and for once recently she seemed calm and she was dressed very smartly.

She seemed too confident for my liking and she had a file in her hand that was easily readable, marked ‘Departmental Re-Structure.’ I hoped she would drop herself in it for being too smart for her own pants.

Then she just said ‘How’s Sally.’

‘Fine she seems happy now thanks.’

‘Good and how about James? Any news from him lately? Is he keeping himself out of trouble?’
Then Dave came out and they both disappeared.

‘What did she mean now? I hadn’t heard from James. What sort of trouble? Did she know something?

She had such a silly smirk on her face as she’d said it.

To be continued…….

up
126 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Decisions...decisions...

Andrea Lena's picture

...not to be too stereotypical, but when she met with Kate I was shouting, 'Take the pink door, Chrissy;' probably ...okay...certainly because that's what I'd do. Great continuation. Thank you, Julie!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

So true

Hi

Gosh, this storyline about the card is just so true. I remember when I was still working in male mode, but outside of work was living as female. Using a card that said Mr Firstname Surname was just so embarrasing. I went to see my bank about it and explained that I was transgendered and living part of my live as female. I asked for a card which was Initial and Surname. They enquired with head office and it came back as a refusal as it helped stop bank fraud. When I changed my name the bank changed my records the same day and I had a new card a few days later.

Excellent writing to have brought back such memories

Karen

Thank you Julie,

ALISON

'well done again ,the difficulties with banks etc. are all too familiar.Another little 'cliff hanger'
just to keep us on our toes.The joys of being TG!!

ALISON

Sounds like a decision has been made...

Ole Ulfson's picture

Christine is going to the bank in full sail. Nothing hidden and flying no false colors. Gee, where did that come from? Must've been the "Errol Flynn" reference.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!