At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 39

Printer-friendly version

At last ‘A life’
By Julie D Cole
Chapter 39 Visitor surprise

I asked Sally who it was and she said it was a surprise and not to worry. She wouldn’t tell me anymore.

When I arrived home I didn’t recognize the car and in fact it was a Hertz hire car when I looked at it more closely. When I took off my shoes and went into the lounge in my nyloned feet I looked to see who was waiting. it was James.

‘What are you doing here?’ I mumbled.

‘I thought that you’d be pleased to see me.’

‘I’m sorry but it was a shock. I didn’t mean to sound like that.’

‘I came to ensure that you were OK because I was worried.’ ‘Did I make a mistake?’

‘No I’m sorry I didn’t mean it like that, I’m just surprised to see you that’s all.’

I looked at Sally who seemed a little bit dejected so I said that we’d both been looking forward to a weekend in Birmingham together and she brightened.

I said that a lot had happened and I’d had no time to think since I left work on Friday.

James told me that he was really looking forward to our visit and he wanted to see me and he had been moping about so his friend Josh had offered to drive him up for the afternoon but he expected he’d have to do a favor back in return.

Josh looked like a sports type and even though James is six feet tall Josh towered above him. They both made me feel small. James came over and kissed my lips lightly and his timing was bad just as mum and Julie walked into the lounge to say hello.

Mum coughed politely and I looked at her and flushed. I managed to stammer my way through the introductions. Julie was clearly impressed with Josh as he shook hands and when he shook hands with me his handshake was strong. I’d watched Julie to see how she responded and tried to do the same. I wondered how Josh and James could be friends since James is not the sports type of person even though he is tall.

Mum asked them to sit down so Sally hunched up to the end of the sofa and James and Josh filled the rest of it so I sat on the arm next to Sally.

Julie offered to get some drinks so I went to help her. She said ‘Sis you didn’t tell me he was good looking. He seems nice but how about his friend he’s a real hunk?’
I said that I thought she was madly in love and she laughed and said ‘ Not quite don’t forget I’ve still got letters after my name - AA.’

I said what do you mean Alcohol Anonymous? Automobile Association? what are you talking about? She laughed and said ‘No silly Always Available.’

‘ Don’t worry he might be a hunk but we are always allowed to look so we keep our options open, just in case.’

Then she asked if I had feelings for James as boy on boy or was it girl on boy since I clearly had a relationship with Sally.

We laughed together after my reply ‘I’m now AA like you thanks very much, I’m just keeping my options open too.’

But seriously I did seem to have a special relationship with Sally that I didn’t want to upset and I was feeling more comfortable each day as Chrissy because of her and Julie and wasn’t sure that I was looking for a relationship with James.

However I did admit that it had been nice to be kissed by him when I’d met him and that it made me feel different afterwards. I’d never been kissed by a man before and his beard stubble didn’t feel bad that I would have expected.

‘So what are you going to do sis?’ Julie asked. I just shrugged and said I would try to be polite and have something to eat with them and invite Sally along.

Mum was chattering away when we took the drinks in and was telling James all about her concerns over the bank account and credit card problems. James stood up to take his drink and said ‘Do you have any idea who it is who might have information about your account? After I told him more about Jessica he was also convinced this was her doing and that I should inform the police.

I said that it was difficult because of current circumstances and he understood. I wasn’t sure if he’d told Josh about me or not. I just said that I’d decided to call the credit card company and my bank special customer services office and let them deal with it.

So I did that next and went through to the kitchen to make the calls. Sally came with me.

After the calls I asked Sally if she’d come for a meal if I asked them since I couldn’t just let them go back. She didn’t seem too enthusiastic but she agreed and then we made arrangements with James and Josh. I did confirm with James that Josh didn’t know about me whilst Josh used the bathroom and James just said he might tell him on the way home unless he guessed or asked in the meantime.

Julie said she’d like to join us if we didn’t mind and she’d meet us somewhere with Gary if it was OK.

‘It’s very OK with me sis.’ She called Gary and then suggested we went for a Chinese meal since it was Sunday and most places around catered for lunch on Sundays.

We left poor mum alone but she was happy for the chance to relax.

It was a very nice meal together and Julie had teased me and said ‘Let’s sit boy girl, boy girl.’. I was pleased really and just teased her back ‘OK will you sit next to Josh then and I’ll sit the other side next to James so Sally can sit with Gary. She put out a little bit of her tongue.

We chatted about all sorts of things and found out that Josh was a rugby player and Julie had teased him to say he was too good looking to play rugby so he should find another sport. He said he tried to keep out of the way on the wing and was very fast. She was flirting a little bit until Gary intervened and switched the subject to my job and my promotion to work for Kate Harper. James was keen to know how the girls he’d met at the Hen night fitted in and why Jessica had been so difficult.

Then he said ‘What’s her connection with Kate Harper?’ I was surprised and said ‘Where did that come from?’

He just shrugged and said ‘Well she never could get promoted on merit based on what I heard so there must be another reason.’

I just said ‘It can’t be true,’ but I must admit it made me think a bit.
Julie just said maybe Kate is not straight and Jessica is her bitch on the side. “ I said Julie no don’t say things like that. Besides Kate is too nice and much too professional to promote somebody because she likes them.’

‘Oh I forgot Kate is Ms Wonderful and I mustn’t tease.’

James said that we’d soon find out if I talked to Kate as I planned and told her about Jessica. It made me think a bit but then I decided I must see Kate as soon as I could tomorrow in case the bank fraud office or the police called her.

When we’d finished dinner the waiter made up some doggy bags since Josh said he’d finish it when he got home. We shared the bill except that James wanted to pay for me since I needed to hold onto my cash. In the end he gave me little choice but to accept and as mum often said ‘ Be polite and accept kindness but first ensure it is kindness and nothing else.’

I was sure it was an act of kindness from James that I appreciated. But it was a nice feeling to be treated and for him to behave as a gentleman holding my coat and bag and moving my chair. Luckily Gary did the same for Sally so she wasn’t too envious but poor Julie had no coat that I’m sure she regretted with Josh at her side.

We decided that James and Josh would drive home and that Julie and Gary would drive Sally and I back.

James kissed me good night and then Josh kissed both my cheeks in the continental way. He was indeed very good looking and would be a good catch for somebody.

As we settled into the back of Julies car Sally turned to me and said ‘chrissy can I ask you something? Do you love James or me the most?’

To be continued………..

up
118 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Julie,

ALISON

'once again you drop one of your little surprises.Sally has really put Chrissy on the spot
this time.

ALISON

I don't know abou putting

I don't know abou putting chrissy on the spot I think Sally has been making it quite clear from the start that she likes Chrissy as more than a friend and it has seem's to me that Chrissy has feelings for Sally as more than friends.

I'm not sure about James where did he get Chrissy's address from? it's one thing phoning her it's another turning up unanounced. Somethings just doesn't feel right about him and I hope Chrissy isn't just getting carried away in the moment.

Can't wait to find out what's going tto happen next.

Claire :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 39

I don't think that Chrissy has an answer.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

My interest is now piqued

as to what may have went on between Kate and Jessica. What prompted Kate to hire Chrissy as her personal assistant? Is Jessica bitter because she has been replaced? What sort of individual is Kate and how does she conduct her business? Enquiring minds want to know.

Your Pique of Interest

Jules
should I fast track the story and tell all in chapter 40 or can you wait a little longer?

to be or not to be continued?.....

Jules

I'm still reading aren't I

I don't mind waiting for a bit for something in a story. I'm still reading along and enjoying it. I think you are a good writer and storyteller and I don't think people that are good at that need to resort to the long drawn out tease to keep people interested in the story.I hate it when television and radio programs tease you along for 90% of the show before telling you something. Most of the time I'll just change stations after one or two segments of that. I'm not the most patient person in the world to begin with and I imgagine I'm probably in a very small as in one person minority with my opinion. Raising curiosity and making people think about things is what writers do and you've done that very well.

Of course Julie will weave the tale in her wonderful way...

Andrea Lena's picture

...but as a reader who greatly enjoys getting into the story and already feels 'like' Chrissy, I know whom I'd choose, and her name begins with the letter 'S'! Anxiously await her (our?) answer. Thank you!



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I wonder...

Given all the deviousness Jessica's shown so far, it wouldn't surprise me if she fabricated parts of her curriculum vitae to make it look as though she was more suited to the position than she was in reality. From what we've seen of Kate Harper, I doubt she did any kind of deal with her, so as her personality conflicts with gaining promotion by merit, either she put on a very convincing act in front of Kate, or she blagged her way into her current position. If that's the case, then that alone, never mind the fradulent transcations on Chrissy's account, could grant her an instant dismissal for gross misconduct.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Puzzles within puzzles...

Ole Ulfson's picture

I still don't trust James. Perhaps because I don't know or understand him. Perhaps because he may be in cahoots with Jessica.

Kate and Jessica? I asked that question some time back and have no further information with which to judge.

Sally! Pick Sally!

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

And isn't that

just the single biggest question that Chrissy will have to find an answer for?