At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 45

Printer-friendly version

I At last ‘A life’
By Julie D Cole
Chapter 45 United in Manchester

In the question and answers session after the break I was deeply embarrassed because Kate asked me to stand up so that she could introduce me to everybody.

She was asked if she would be taking on the extra responsibilities herself or if there was an opportunity for promotion for any of the other Managers at the meeting.

She then introduced me as her new PA and said that she was confident that she didn’t need to offload any duties to another manager and that she was already confident that I would free more time for her by handling some of her general administration duties.

Two of the female managers sitting not far away from where I was now standing were obviously not very happy about this announcement. It came as a complete shock to me.
I felt like I was standing naked in the wrong changing room and must have been redder than a Manchester United team shirt.

There were a few whispers and mumblings as I sat down and Kate just smiled and said ‘Well done Chris you deserve this chance.’ There was a small ripple of applause.

After that the CEO wrapped up proceedings since he had to go to the airport and Kate asked a few managers to meet with her in a small annex room.

Jackie was the first to congratulate me but to be honest I’d no idea what promotion I’d had until I could get to talk to Kate. One of the female managers then came over to me and said that her name was Nicola and that she was a great admirer of Kate so I must be a good choice.

I wasn’t sure if she was sincere or not but then two or three others came to introduce themselves so I’d not much chance to say or do anything except feel like a new girl in the class hardly remembering names and faces.

Then Kate came out of her meeting and said a few hellos before saying we had to go. I placed a few name cards that I’d been handed in my handbag and freshened up and then Kate steered me towards the exit where Jackie was waiting to say goodbye to us. She took my hand and kissed my cheeks and whispered ‘Well done, call me anytime for a chat.’

As we went into the lift Kate turned and said ‘I’m sorry was that a nice surprise?’ ‘That was why I brought you to the meeting with me and I told you I’d be grateful if you help me.’

‘I said that I was delighted and very pleased if she had such confidence in me after such a short time.’

She just said ‘ Family takes care of family.’ What did she mean?

When we reached the front door Kate said ‘We’ll take a taxi since it’s a little bit too far to walk and I’ll leave the car here for now.’ I was happy for that news rather than walk through the busy city centre. We went to a nice big old hotel to a restaurant called Browns that was very old fashioned style with high ceilings. It was popular so Kate had reserved a table.

She knew the head waiter who greeted us and took us to our table. There was a distinguished looking man sitting there with grey hair and moustache. He had a smart dark pin striped suit and as he stood up I could see that he took care of himself. He was around six feet tall. He looked over his spectacles as we approached and the were on a string around his neck so he didn’t lose them I suppose.

He hugged Kate and kissed her. ‘Hi honey, I’m pleased to see you, glad you made it.’ Then he looked at me, ‘My God who might this be?’

‘Dad this is Chrissy and Chrissy this is my dad.’

‘Well hello young lady it’s so nice to see you, Kate has told me so much about you. I’m Darren Harper, but call me Darren.’

‘Urr Darren Harper, Professor Darren Harper?’

‘Yes but that makes me sound old so call me Darren.’

‘But I know who you are.’

‘Yes my dear I know who you are and I could recognize you as soon as I looked up., I thought I must have stepped back in time in this old restaurant.’ ‘I thought it must be something to do with the old clock over there. Please sit here next to me.’

‘So do you know who I am then Chris, I know your mum and dad, but I haven’t seen your mum for ages.’

‘But Mr Harper are you Kates dad?’

‘Yes of course, well at least her mum says so.’ He said with a smile.

‘And are you the man who was friends with my Aunt Judith?’

‘Yes, she was my dear friend and much more.’

A tear came to his eye and my stomach was churning by now. I was starting to feel a little faint. Kate held my hand and suggested that I sipped some water.

The waiter came over and Professor Harper ordered some hot tea and a glass of wine for himself. Maybe some tea to start with is best.

‘So you know who I am?’

‘Yes I talked to mum and Gran. She’s been ill in hospital.’

‘I know Kate told me so I sent some flowers yesterday. I would like to meet her again but it’s difficult since she never got over the accident.’

Kate intervened and said the waiter was bringing the tea and another was trying to give us the menu.

Professor Harper poured some tea for Kate and I and as I sipped it I started to come back to my full senses. He smiled and said ‘Ha I should have been a doctor, now the colour is back in your cheeks.’

‘Chris I’m very happy to see you and even though I was surprised to hear the change in your lifestyle I can see that this might have been necessary. Do you know who you look like?’

‘Yes mum has told me and so has Gran, I look like my Aunt Judith.’

‘You certainly do, My Goodness, you certainly do’.

Kate took over the menu and ordered something just to keep the waiter from listening in as he hovered around trying to catch our attention.

‘Chris has your mum ever talked about me?’

‘Yes she told me all about you and Aunt Judith and that you had a very close relationship before she died.’

‘Yes she changed my life, in fact she changed all our lives she was a very special person.’ I’ve wanted to meet you for such a long time and I wanted to introduce you to Kate and her sister if I could get the chance. Especially after Kates mum died when I was grieving. I needed to clear so many things and put some things straight.’

‘I knew Judith and your mum and dad and almost my relationship with Judith broke my marriage.’ He held Kates hand and then said but I was lucky because a had a loving wife and two wonderful daughters. Poor Judith and so so sad for your Gran and your mum and dad.’

‘Tell me Chris do you mind meeting me today? I hope that you are not uncomfortable about this since I had to find a way to meet you.’

‘Thanks to Kate here who has been very supportive to me I’ve found you at last.’

‘I’m very happy to meet you too since I have some questions to ask you, mum and Gran and I couldn’t find time with so much happening around me.’

‘Well Chris you can ask me whatever you like.’

‘Is it true that you and Aunt Judith were lovers and that you were close friends with mum and dad.’

‘Yes’

‘And in those days were you prepared to leave your wife and family for Judith.’

‘Well that’s not quite true since we argued about it and I couldn’t leave. But I also loved her so much. It was like I had 2 parallel lives’

‘ So what about aunt Judith she seemed to be in love with you.’

‘Yes she was and when I told her that I couldn’t leave she just walked away and she wouldn’t talk to me for a while.

Then she tried to make me jealous by saying she was having an affair and if she couldn’t beat me she would join me.’

‘Was she?’

‘No she wasn’t like that at all she was just trying to get me to go back to her.’

‘That’s not to say that she didn’t have friendships or relationships but she couldn’t forget me and I couldn’t forget her.’

‘Then one night she called me at home that was not like her. She was very upset and she told me she was pregnant. My wife knew something was wrong so I had to tell her everything.’

Kate was quiet and yet she didn’t seem hurt by her father telling me these things.
‘The next day I went to see Judith and then she said that she didn’t know what to do and she admitted that she’d seen somebody else. ‘

‘I couldn’t stay with her that is my greatest regret.because I should have talked to her more and listened to what she wanted to say. Instead I was selfish and went back home, fearful that I’d lose my wife and daughters.’

‘Chris how much do you know?’

‘Well Professor Harper I know now from mum and Gran that Judith was my real mum and that mum and dad took care of me’.

‘I know that she was killed and my life was saved.’

‘I don’t know why she was taken instead of me, or why my life was spared.’

‘Chris all I can say is that as I look at you now Judith is still alive in you.’

‘I want to help you as much as I can.’

‘Professer Harper, one more question before I answer.’

‘Yes anything you like.’

‘Are you my father?’

To be continued………..
,

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wow...talk about your interesting meals!

I certainly hope he is her father; he seems like a very nice man indeed. Good story. Thank you!


Benificent Meal Belle

It has been a very long and emotional day...

Andrea Lena's picture

...good, but emotional. Permission to burst into anticipatory tears of joy, please? Great story once again. Thank you!



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Permission Granted

Jules
Of Course Andrea you have special permission. I am glad you liked this chapter it has been coming a long time. I welcome your comments.
So a song to bring more tears?

I remember when I was a lad
Times seemed hard and things were bad
But there's a silver linin' behind every cloud
Just sad people that's all we were
Tryin' to make a livin' on Gods earth
But now we're together in a family circle singin' loud ...

CHORUS
Darren sang bass, Kate sang tenor
Me now I could sing too and join right in there
Singin' seems to help a troubled soul

Sorry I was just listening to Johnny Cash.
Hugs

Jules

Well, I'd Missed the Last Name

Well, I'd missed the last name connection between Kate and Darren Harper. Looking forward to where this story is going.

Thank you Julie,

ALISON

'a difficult situation,well written, very well done.Like a good wine,you improve all the time.
The story gets better every posting and has a lot of mileage in it yet.Congratulations.

ALISON

Nice Wine

Jules
I do enjoy good wine but I think I am still at the lambrusco stage of my writing. I need to reach the standard of a good Montepulciano wine that I love from the romantic hills of a wonderful part of Italy. Then onto the fine wines.
I will try my best to improve.

Jules

At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 45

If yes, then they truly are Family.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

A small world!

So now the two main plot threads of this story start intertwining. Interesting times ahead...

--B


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Ah, Finally the Big Question asked...

Ole Ulfson's picture

I don't think I could be as calm as Chris/tine in this situation. In fact s/he's been abnormally calm through everything. Has s/he no feelings? I worry about the lack of emotion. It seems abnormal! Perhaps when the question is answered s/he'll show some emotion.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

Perhaps

you're right but this boy/girl is very calm. Don't come marching into Browns demanding retribution.

Jules