At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version


Chapter 6
The Choices

Sally grabbed my arm and asked if I’d noticed James and his friends were across the bar. Vicky and Lisa were chatting to them and I froze. I couldn’t help but look across and James kept turning to look towards us.

Sally just said ‘Christine please take care,’ and she urged me to go to the bathroom with her. She said she need to show me something so I went with her. She had her camera in her bag and she quickly scanned the memory card. I was horrified because she showed me some photographs of her in hospital with her right eye closed and bruises over her cheeks and a swolen jaw. Her nose was bloody and she had stitches in her eyebrow. ‘This is what happens if you resist and your man is an animal!!’

I gave her the biggest hug I could muster using all my strength and tears flooded from her eyes. I kissed her lips and she hung tightly to my waist. I could only say that I was so sorry and to beg her to believe that this man had been an animal and wasn’t representative of normal human beings. We were clinging together for ages and several girls came in and out of the bathroom not caring because of the venue since lots of girls were whispering or huddled together. Then she said ‘Please Christine be my friend since I love you so much.’

Then Jessica and Vicky came in since they’d heard about Sally crying and being comforted by someone. Jessica looked at me and asked what I’d done to upset her and she twisted my arm until I screamed. Tears came to my eyes and I asked her to let go and Sally started hitting her on the arm until she finally released her grip. I called her names and Sally pushed herself between us. Then Vicky interjected so I told her what had happened. Next thing Anne is coming through the door as Mother Hen telling us all to calm down before things get out of hand. She was right that it was the drink and the excitement getting to everybody and we shouldn’t spoil the night.

I told Jessica that I hated her and that she was too cruel and then she said she was really sorry and begged me to go to dance with her whilst things calmed down. I couldn’t resist telling her that these last few months she’d given me a hard time and I didn’t know if I could forgive her. Then she said that she did this because she didn’t like Chris but as Christine she felt I was much more normal and more confident.

My mascara had run but poor Sally was even worse so I quickly repaired the damage and left Vicky and Anne looking after Sally. I gave Sally a kiss on the cheek and followed Jessica to the dance floor. I could see Jane and Liz chatting to James and his friends who were occupying our seats so I just waved and smiled. The music was slower so Jessica held my hand and then put her arm around me. She said that she’d turn over a new leaf and promised to make things up to me. She asked me if I’d like to go to work as Christine for a while and if so then she’d arrange everything. I said that I had to decide if I could face my mum and sister first but I did thank her anyway.

I really hoped that she could be more kind because my life had become unbearable the last few weeks. We had two more dances together and then we went to sit down.

The guys had gone to the bar and Sally was back so I sat next to her and held her hand. She made me laugh because she said that she’d wet her knickers a little bit when Jessica grabbed me. She said that had proved that I wasn’t like Dale the boyfriend who had beaten her up and she whispered that I was showing some cleavage so better cover up before the guys came back. My man boobs had certainly been useful to help me create my image as Christine and for once I was grateful I had them. They were feeling really sensitive tonight and I wanted to touch them and wished I could experience the pleasure of being massaged and kissed.

James looked at me and winked and I smiled back. I thought I’d better try to talk to him but I didn’t know what to say. Should I tell him that I was Chris or stay as Christine. I finally decide to go to him and excused myself. Sally squeezed my hand and said ‘Please take care’. He was happy to see me get up and offered to buy me a drink so I accepted a glass of white wine. Then he said ‘cheers to the most beautiful girl in the club’. I was embarrassed and couldn’t say anything. He took my hand and put my drink on the bar alongside his and asked his friend Drew to take care of them. How could I dance with another man?

I felt rooted to the floor until he gently pushed me and patted my bum. He whispered that he wanted to make everybody jealous and that he would fight of any girl that chased me. I laughed at his joke but it was not such a stupid thing to say in the circumstances. Who would have thought last week that I’d be in a Gay club in Birmingham having a fantastic weekend and making new friends. Who would have thought that I’d find a new side to my personality. Who would have thought I’d be best friends with my line Managers flatmate or sharing a bed with her? Mmm that was another challenge to come.

I had two lively dances with James before the lights dimmed a little and the music slowed. I’d managed to look like I could dance a little bit with the fast music but I’d only ever danced with girls with slow music. James put his arms around me and kissed my cheek. I was very nervous and looked across at Sally who did a Japanese style V wave as a sign that I’d succeeded. I blew a soft kiss to her and then James hugged me more closely. His groin was pressing against my thigh and I had a strange feeling and my panties were becoming a little uncomfortable. I wasn’t supposed to be taking this so far.

He was getting more exited and then he leaned over and kissed me. I turned away at first but he persisted. I couldn’t stop him as he pressed his lips to mine and I could smell his cologne and feel his breath and the stubble of his light beard.
Then two of his friends interrupted us and pulled him away saying his girlfriend was looking for him. He pulled away and left me standing there. I looked across at the bar to where 3 girls were glaring to me and he was obviously embarrassed. It looked like his girlfriend slapped his face and they disappeared somewhere. The other two girls were still staring at me so I hurriedly sat down.

Sally, Vicky and Jessica had seen everything. I tried to calm down and Anne got me a fresh drink from the bar. Jessica said ‘I warned you to be careful’. She said not to go to the bathroom without her and she’d ensure that there was no trouble.

By now it was about 11-30pm and the place was packed. Jane, Liz and Lisa were in the middle of the dance floor with three other girls and all of them were singing to the music at the top of their voices.

The next thing I knew was a glass of iced water being thrown over me and soaking my face and chest. ‘You Bitch!!!’

To be continued…

up
139 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It's always fascinating...

Andrea Lena's picture

...when a 'girl' like Christine begins to discover new things about herself. Maybe things she'd be embarrassed about or reluctant to admit. Some curiosities and wonder perhaps temporary but the tense dread that her attraction to James might be more than just curiosity. And even if it's only curiosity, it's still very, very compelling to witness from the outside looking in. What is it like inside her as the one on the inside looking out. Very nicely done! Thank you!



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I'm Hoping (S)he Ends Up with Sally

They seem like a good pair. May end up just friends. We'll see. Jessica is definitely a head case. Way too immature to be in a management position. She's a sexual harassment or hostile environment lawsuit in the making.

Moobs are a wonderful thing! Cold water, not so much...

Ole Ulfson's picture

Chris/tine has been through the ringer in this chapter. Jessica is still a self-serving rat surpassed only by James. What a low life. Sally's warning may be well founded.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

I just knew it.

That girlfriend of James' would be back to harass. Glad it was nothing more than a glass of ice water!