At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 19

Printer-friendly version

At last ‘A life’
By Julie D Cole
Chapter 19 A little family history unearthed

I looked at mum and said ‘What do you mean?’

Then mum paused and squeezed my hand and said that Gran had never gotten over the tragic loss of Judith that had a massive effect on her life and our lives. It had eventually driven dad away and Gran had not been able to show proper affection to anybody and particularly to Julie and I.

Mum wanted to try to bring us all back together and she wanted me to go with her to see Gran as soon as possible but as Christine rather than as Chris. Gran’s health was deteriorating and mum was concerned that she would get worse rather than recover.

I just squeezed her hand in return and said ‘Of course I will because of your support to me and because Gran is your mum and our family responsibility .’ She said ‘Oh Chris you make such a wonderful daughter and I you give me much more strength and belief than I had before.’ Julie couldn’t resist to join in and snuggled under mums other arm.’Sorry Julie you know that I didn’t mean to exclude you and she kissed her forehead.’ Julie gave me a little smirk.

Mum asked us both to forgive Gran for not being able to ever come to terms with the loss of Judith and how it had prevented a normal relationship between a grand parent and her nephew and neice. Julie then went very quiet since when dad left home she had been really upset , much more than me in fact. Also she had been keeping contact with him without mum knowing.

I said for mum to let me know how and when I could help and I’d gladly support her. She smiled at me and said it was wonderful to see the change in me and hoped that we could all stick together to face the challenges. She wanted me to be happy and said at least now I had a girlfriend! She laughed as she said it as her joke. I kissed her gently on the cheek and tasted her tears. She said she liked my lipstick but not all over her face and we all laughed again.

Mum then put her album by her chair and we decided it was time to go to bed. I needed to call Sally so I bagged first to use the bathroom. I quickly showered and removed my make-up then changed to a clean nighty and into my dressing gown.

I jumped into bed and called Sally. She was waiting and I apologized for the delay but she’d been reading to stay awake. We chatted for a while and I told her about everything that happened so she was soon sniffing away and said she thought life had been very cruel to mum and Gran.

We could hardly find time or the feelings to talk about my new wardrobe or our dinner together so Sally said we should wait and talk tomorrow. She said she’d had a talk to Jessica so she wanted my advice. That almost meant we started again but we just decided to whisper good night to each other and then I turned out my light.

As I snuggled down feeling nice in the silk the door opened and Julie came into my room. She asked if she could have a snuggle because she felt so sad. She was cold, especially her feet but I didn’t mind at all. We chatted for a while about Gran and why mum wanted me to visit her. She said I looked lovely in her wig and that I should grow my hair and color it. I said ‘Give me chance since it’s only been a few days’. She tickled me.

We were soon fast asleep and the next thing I knew mum was knocking on my door saying that I’d be late if I didn’t get up. Julie opened an eye and said she’d drive me to work because she wanted to go into town to sort some things out for her boyfriends birthday. I’d forgotten all about it because she’d spent so much time looking after me.

I showered and washed my hair and Julie helped my to wrap it in a towel and we went down to breakfast in our dressing gowns. Mum had boiled some eggs but I only had one and a small bowl of Special K. Julie had my second egg and an extra piece of toast that I’d declined. Mum was tut tutting.

I dressed in my new black skirt with a white blouse taking care to choose a white bra that could be seen a little bit through the blouse. Julie loaned me a matching necklace and bracelet and I quickly applied my make-up. I moused my hair and Julie styled it as best she could and then found some clip on earings.

Then she loaned me a deep purple jacket that matched nicely with my black skirt and heels so I felt like a real PA. I borrowed a black shoulderbag and quickly transferred everything from my own bag.

Mum said I looked nice so I left the house in a much more confident way than I’d arrived home the previous night.

When I arrived at work I met Anne in reception talking to Shirley. She reminded me that we were due to meet up after work and that everybody in the office was coming. She’d decided on meeting at an Indian restaurant if I agreed since the cost wouldn’t be so high.It was OK for me even though I thought I might regret it later. At least it was just a short walk from the office and we could have a drink at a bar next to our office building that had ‘Happy Hour’ from 5pm to 7pm.

I was just brewing coffee when Kate arrived and she wished me good morning and presented me with a small bunch of pink carnations that she’d bought at the petrol station on her way to work. I was taken by surprise since these were the first flowers I’d ever received. Kate said she did it on purpose to make me feel special and I blushed and said thanks. She showed me where to find a vase and I cut the stems a little and put them in water placing the vase on the corner of my desk.

Then Kate gave me a small parcel as a welcome gift. I opened it to find a silk scarf in black & with silver circles. I loved it and it matched my outfit so I thought I could wear it after work. I was most grateful and Kate smiled and said that she was very happy to see me smile and hoped this could be the start of a long friendship. I went with her to her office and took her coffee that she said was breakfast.

As I sat down she noticed my new skirt and blouse and remarked how nice I looked. Then she gave me a list of things she wanted me to do starting with a visit to HR to tidy up the mess from earlier in the week that she’d sorted out.

Then a large bouquet of flowers arrived for Kate to say thank you to her for a very professional negotiation and closure the day before. Kate said it was a great deal for the Company and that she’d been delighted to outsmart our competition. She was expecting significant growth in our turnover and hoped that I could be involved with Peter and Katie as weeks passed.

I was feeling much more appreciated with direct involvement with Kate and wanted to show her that I wasn’t just ‘a pretty face’. HaHa that was my joke to myself. Maybe it is easier to make a mark with this Company as a woman than it had been as a man or maybe I was just in the right place at the right time.

The interview with HR was straight forward and I signed some documents that had been prepared that said I was working as Christine Taylor until further notice without any pressure from the Company and that I wouldn’t make any claims for harassment or hold the Company liable for anything that happened as a consequence of complaints from colleagues or customers. It also confirmed my secondment to work as PA to the Managing Director. Then I couldn’t believe what I read. Kate had increased my salary by almost 50%. Wow!!! I was on a high for the rest of the morning and couldn’t wait to call Julie and Sally to give them the news.

I had a snack lunch in the office and it gave me chance to call Sally.
She also stayed in and was hoping that I would call. I felt better than the night before and described what Julie had bought and we discussed what we would be wearing at the weekend. I decided to travel in leggings and take trousers and jeans rather than skirts or dresses and Sally said she’d do the same.

Then she said she'd tell me what Jessica had said to her.

To be continued …..

up
143 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Not Sure Whether I Have This Straight...

Is Judith dead or just estranged from the family?

The last chapter said that "Judith was (Gran's) eldest daughter and had been very special because she’d almost died when she was young..." but never said what happened to her after that. If I read it right (and I'm not sure I did), Gran got rid of the photo album after cutting all of Judith's pictures out of family scenes, insisting on choosing the inaccessible daughter over the available relatives. Apparently Gran (and Chris's father?) blame Chris's mother (and possibly the other family members) for whatever happened to Judith.

Also, that reference to a "nephew and niece" -- something seems off there. Chris and Julie would be Judith's nephew and niece, not Gran's.

Eric

Killed in an Automobile Accident

Here's the Passage from Ch 12:
Then she said that it was bringing everything back and the awful memories from her youth just before she married dad. She’d been out with friends and her sister Judith who was in the car in front that was hit by a truck on a roundabout and Judith and the driver of the car had been killed. Mum had screamed as she saw it happening. She said it was slow motion and the most horrible thing that she'd ever seen. The wedding had to be delayed for 6 months until she could pluck up the courage since Judith would have been Chief Bridesmaid.

Thanks...

I didn't go back far enough.

Eric

what a great story, Julie, It moves from strength to strength!

Ole Ulfson's picture

I love the way you are letting Christine, who I am really starting to appreciate more with each chapter, interact with everyone at work and outside work.

She's fitting in so seamlessly with her family that it's clear that she's making the right choice. Some guys were meant to be girls, are girls! I know some here.

You should be proud of how well you express Christine's dilemmas and help her overcome them.

Thanks,

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

Oooooohhhh,you!

Another cliffhanger! Seriously though this is still just so much fun, I'm awake at almost 1 AM binge reading this.