At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 49

Printer-friendly version

At last ‘A life’
By Julie D Cole
Chapter 49 Appraisal time

I felt nervous. Had I gone too far? Why my file since it was Jessica who we were discussing. Then I thought to heck with it I’d just leave as I’d threatened. Then I thought about it and I realized I couldn’t work anywhere else except as Chris unless I took a job in a bar or a Gay club. I thought so what. I’d made some friends so maybe I would take some Chrissy time.

I rang Dave Roberts and set a meeting time 15 minutes later to get it all over. He asked what had happened and why the urgency? I just said that I had spoken out in defence of Anne and criticized Jessica.

When he arrived we went into Kates office and Dave closed the door. Kate looked at me and asked me to sit down at the meeting table so I was facing both of them.

‘Dave, Chris and I have been to Manchester today and on the way back I had a call from Jessica Walker. She had a few complaints about her department and I asked if she had discussed them with you. She hadn’t so I talked to Chris and he/she gave me some forthright opinions. To be honest I didn’t feel comfortable but what she said was true. Chrissy I do mean what she said was true because I do believe that you are more woman than man.’

‘Dave, I want you to treat this meeting as a formal appraisal meeting and then to take some legal advice. I also want you to record that Chrissy was very well received at todays meeting and that she made a strong impression. I was very proud of her and I think that she has a lot to offer.’

I interjected ‘What do you mean? I thought this was a disciplinary meeting or to sack me.’
‘Why would I want to do that? Don’t you realize that I am a good judge of a person and that I like people who speak out.’

‘But you didn’t like what I said about Jessica.’

‘Who says? I never said anything if you recall, it was only you speaking.’ We are here to talk about you first Ms Taylor. I think it’s time we confirmed this appointment because I’ve been promoted and I need someone reliable to work alongside me. I need a PA that I can trust. I like you and I like it that you have good knowledge and a good manner.’

Dave spoke next ‘Right Kate I can sort this out quickly if you tell me what you want.’

‘Well lets confirm the appointment, subject to a medical examination and some interviews with a psychiatrist. That’s up to George Ramsden the Company Doctor to sort out. Ask him to come and see me when he can please.’

‘Two I want to review Chrissys terma and conditions and put her on senior staff status. She needs additional benefits and we’ll raise her salary 50% and nominate her for the bonus scheme. That’s for me to approve isn’t it?’

‘Yes of course it is Kate but we’ll need to sort things with Dr Ramsden since this involves insurance and pensions.’

‘OK Dave just do your best to get it sorted.’

‘Anything else?’

‘Just prepare the paperwork and fill in the forms and I’ll sign them. Is this OK with you Chrissy?’

‘Well no not really.’

‘Why?’

‘Well I appreciate this Kate but I’ve not made my final decisions yet about my life. I need to talk to mum and dad and to be honest I’d like to talk with Julie and Sally as well. I am still unsure about my past and it may affect my decision.’

‘Chrissy you have a golden opportunity here so what is the problem?

‘If I was working as Chris would you offer this job to me or is it that I’ve effectively changed sex? You seem to be pushing me to make it serious.’

‘I am because I have seen that this is you and that you are becoming more and more female and there is hardly a trace of masculinity.’

‘Kate, I really appreciate your opinion and advice but I’ve lived like this for less than 2 weeks and I’ve no idea what prejudice will surface if you promote me like this. In some respects I’d prefer to keep a low profile.’

‘What and sit in a window seat in Jessicas office bored stiff?’

‘No I’d leave.’

‘Chrissy you aren’t leaving. You aren’t going anywhere I have taken you into my personal care. I am responsible for you and I have to look after you and see you through the next stages of your life. I have been very impressed with you and you’ve been very supportive to me.’

‘Can I sleep on it and let you know tomorrow?’

Kate sighed ‘Well I usually get my own way but I suppose I can wait a few hours to get my way again. I do hope you’ll accept.’

‘Thanks for understanding.’

‘OK so Dave please set up a meeting with Chrissy tomorrow and also an appointment with Dr Ramsden just in case.’ Then lets have interviews with Jessica Walker and Anne Hunter. Say 10am start with 30 minutes between each appointment and Chrissy can sort my diary.’

‘OK I’ll call you later to update you. By the way congratulations on your promotion.’

‘Oh yes that little matter. Let’s sort Chrissy first and then consider our re-structuring plans after that.’

After Dave left Kate came over to me and put her arm around my shoulder. ‘Chrissy you’ve become a lovely woman who is getting more confident every day. I think we’ve found a little diamond.’

‘Thanks for the complement. I like to be little.’ She just smiled and kissed my cheek.
‘OK Ms Taylor get your skates on and get off to see your mum. You have more work to do yet. Remember your dad is relying on you.’

‘Yes I hope that I can help him.’

I called mum and arranged to meet her outside Marks & Spencer so we could catch a bus together. I freshened up and called Julie to confirm later arrangements and then made some fresh coffee for Kate and a cup of tea for myself. I sipped it during a call to Sally and my cup was empty as I finished the call.

As soon as I met mum I told her about my visit to Manchester and she was so proud and exited.

‘Chrissy I’m pleased for Kate but what’s going to happen to you?’ ‘Are you going back to your old job?’

‘No way. Kate asked me to stay and she has offered me a bigger salary and to confirm my appointment.’

‘Chris that’s fantastic news what a wonderful day you’ve had.’

‘Well it has been a wonderful day mum but I haven’t told you everything. I am confused and I would rather not accept the position until a few things are sorted out.’

‘What do you mean?’

‘Well mum I met two other people in Manchester and Kate arranged it. I was surprised or should I say I was a little bit shocked.’

‘Who did you meet?’

‘I am sure that today I met my real father.’

What do you mean?’

To be continued……

up
124 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

very interesting

Kate is a bit pushy but then again if you are a success in the business world then you are that way. She is right about Chrissy though. Sometimes it takes someone else to see in us what we can't or won't see in ourselves. She has all the tools and she is Chrissy not Chris. Good segment here. You sure do like these cliffhangers. It works and this is a very good story you have going.

Always leave them wanting more

Jules
I do reach points where I stop and think 'what would my reader like to happen next? So I think of the options and sometimes I look at the Kudos score and the number of hits from my fan.
I do like to tease a little bit as well and I had some really nice responses that encourages the mischief.
Just like the song by the Animals 'I'm just a soul whose intentions are good, Oh Lord please don't let me be misunderstood....' Julie

Jules

At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 49

Katie knows who she wants. She will wait for Chrissy.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Thank you Julie,

ALISON

'another episode so well done in your inimitable manner. You really have blossomed as a writer,
so go girl,go! Congratulations.

ALISON

Aye Sis!

Andrea Lena's picture

...Blossomed is right. A fine story with a really great group of characters that we've grown to care about. I know you agree with me that this is one of our favorites, aye? Julie... this is a sweet tale of discovery that makes me wonder what life might have been like with a boss like Kate ad with friends like Christine has. I'm so hoping that she chooses to go with the flow, so to speak, and tests the waters regarding the job offer. What does she have to lose, anyway. I'm sure she does feel overwhelmed with all the new and exciting possibilities for a career and for a new life; both of which seem to sandwich the whole thing of discovering family. Thank you so much for providing us with such a great tale!



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Will she take the promotion or will she quit?

Ole Ulfson's picture

Well, I think I can figure that one out, because if she quits it going to put a big dent in the story!

But I hope we can soon learn who the father is and move on to other issues. I trust you Julie to find plenty of problems to throw at poor Chris/tine and also that s/he can overcome them.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!