Castle The Series - 0116 Fiona, The Hill, The Mill, Lilly

Printer-friendly version

Some commonly used words are after the list of characters. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically at the end of the chapter. Appendix 1 Folk words and language usage, Appendix 2 Castle places, food, animals, plants and minerals, Appendix 3 a lexicon of Folk and Appendix 4 an explanation of the Folk calendar, time, weights and measures. All follow the story chapters.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00285010

FIONA’S (15) GIRL BABE ISABEL

LARGE PORTIONS OF EVERYTHING

17th of Vilar Day 285

Fiona had never looked pregnant, even at nine lunes she barely had a bump, and though her breasts were significantly larger because they were so large to start with the difference was not readily apparent. Her nipples and areolae had darkened and enlarged which earlier in her pregnancy she had found reassuring and comforting since there was nothing else other than no lunetimes(1) to indicate she was pregnant. She didn’t even have any of the dark vertical line through her navel which the midwifes had telt her sometimes ran from cleavage to cleft. Surprisingly she was almost a span taller than when she met Fergal and appeared to be still growing which Fergal said, “Explains you eating for ten.” Overjoyed regards being pregnant she was, however, disappointed she didn’t look pregnant and felt cheated for herself, but even more for Fergal who she knew had been looking forward to her pregnancy as evidence of their adult state. That he constantly reassured her of his feelings and of his love for her, especially after he could feel the babe move, helped, but still she felt he was being cheated much more than she.

From the time when she had missed her second lunetime, much to her embarrassment, she had been permanently hungry. She had telt her mum, “I’ve hearet of pregnant women having peculiar food cravings, Mum, but this is ridiculous. I don’t seem to care what I’m eating as long as I am permanently eating.”

Nightingale had hugged her and said, “All pregnant women are different, Love, and if your body tells you to eat there will be a good reason for it. Were I you, I’d just be grateful for no forsickth.”(2)

The midwifes had all agreed with Nightingale, and Margæt had said, “You are young and pregnant and as we know still growing. You clearly need the food, and since it is available eat.” Seeing she was not convinced Margæt had continued, “If you don’t you may harm your babe, Fiona.”

Fiona had sighed and said, “That’s the last thing I wish to do, but it is embarrassing being seen to be so greedy and always asking for more especially as I don’t look pregnant.”

Unknown to Fiona, Margæt had words with Milligan, and he had maekt sure Polecat’s serving staff all knew to give Fiona large portions of everything without asking her. On Margæt’s instructions Tinder maekt sure there was always a plentiful supply of fresh fruit, fruit juice and dairy products at home for Fiona, and Nightingale had spaken to Beatrix of it who said, “The poor love! Don’t worry, Nightingale. I’ll make sure she has enough when she eats here, but she can’t possibly eat as much as some of my boys!”

Fiona was taken by surprise when she had her first contraction because she had believed she was not due for another half a lune. Never having had anything to do with babes before, she had always assumed such things were predictable to the day or two. Whitethorn was her midwife, but she was birthing a babe elsewhere, and Irena managed her birthing though it was Lilly who birtht Isabel, her first such experience. Isabel was a small but hale babe a feather over two and a quarter weights and she taken six hours to arrive. All Fiona’s family were overwhelmed by Isabel. Beth and Warbler were entranced by her.

Fiona who had enjoyed her pregnancy, despite her resentment at its lack of obviousth, loved nursing Isabel, and like any other woman of the Folk wasn’t bothered where she nursed her. Her eleven brothers, who like Gage had become Folk in their thinking now, were all surprised by the emotions the sight gave them. Whence they came it would have generated smutty remarks, but they found it profoundly moving. Fergal had oft filled up at the sight.

Fiona and Fergal decided to marry and live in chambers in the Huntsman’s Place. They also decided to have another babe. “And I am going to be really irritatet if I don’t look pregnant next time because that’s most of the fun,” Fiona telt her husband.

Fergal left the kennel squad and apprenticed to Cicely as a tracker, though he was happy to start falconry learning afternoons for children when asked to do so by Gage. The afternoons were popular and the squad helped. As Will telt the Council, “Milligan and I both sayt soon after the squad was formt it was an asset to us all. The only thing we doetn’t get right was just how great an asset they would turn out to be.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00288010

BRUANA AND COALTIT

GIBB’S SATISFACTION

20th of Vilar Day 288

Bruana went to see Gibb when Ianto was not quite a lune old. “I wish a new craft in order to spend more time with my family, Gibb. I know you need crafters, and Milligan seemt sure you would be able to help, but since I can’t cook any better than any other non-crafter cook, I can’t help but wonder what I could do that would provide the satisfaction and challenge that the forest has given me. Though Noah is not worryt by any reduction in my remuneration, I have to admit I am, as a matter of pride, because I have contributet naught to the family since my last trip some six lunes over.”

Gibb smiled broadly and said, “Don’t worry regards the remuneration, Bruana. Senior cooks and kitchen crafters are remuneratet at the same rate as forest Mistresses.” At Bruana’s puzzled expression, he continued, “You have to be a senior crafter. It would not be good for discipline in the kitchens, or for our ability to recruit able crafters were you not to be. We need crafters capable of exercising authority even more than we need those able to cook, and you certainly could not be regardet as a lærer(3) in that regard. I assume you have heard the tales of our difficulties and of the recent changes?”

“Indeed. And I’m as demanding of discipline as Iola and Morris. One has to be in the forest, it’s too dangerous to be elsewise.”

“I’m pleast to hear it, and Milligan and the other managers will be equally so too. Well come to the kitchens, Bruana. Now, concerning a placement for you. Do you know Coaltit?”

“I know three Coaltits, but if you mean Joseph brew Master’s agreän, yes I do, but we’ve never had much contact since all my adult life I spent most of the year far from the Keep.”

“That’s whom I mean, and she is the Mistress storekeeper and suffers, I suspect more badly than she admits to, from the joint ail. She should have retiren a few years over, but she has continuet out of a sense of obligation. If you will, I could arrange for you to take over from her. You have naught to learn regards supervising crafters or of record keeping, and she would teach you what you need to know regards the stores quite quickly. It would enable her to craft far fewer hours immediately which would ease her life considerably. She admits, despite the herbs, the pain drains her energy, and as a result she can no longer supervise her crafters as she uest to. It would be much to my satisfaction if you will to accept. Take a few days to consider it if you will.”

Bruana was an intelligent woman, and she knew Gibb’s offer of taking charge of one of the major kitchen offices was a better craft than any she could have imagined. “I don’t need to consider it. I accept. When do I begin?”

“Gratitude. I suggest we go to the stores to find Coaltit, and I explain what I have offert, and then I leave all to the two of you to organise.”

Bruana nodded and said, “My gratitude, Gibb.”

They went to the stores and met with Coaltit, who Bruana thought looked tired. After some explanations Gibb left.

“You have no idea how pleast I shall be to help you, Bruana. The craft has been much to my joy, but I shall not be sad to assist you to take over, for it will give Joseph considerable saught.(4) When would you like to begin?”

“I’d like to tell my family what is happening first, so nextday would be good for me. If that is agreeable with you? What time do you usually start?”

“The early crafters start at six, but I can’t manage that any more. I usually arrive at eight, but even that is becoming difficult now. Could I could meet you here at ten nextday?”

“I’ll be here before six. I’d like to start with the rest of the office. What could I be doing till you arrive, Coaltit?”

The two women went to look at some of the vegetables and fruit in need of sorting and Coaltit said supervising that would take her to beyond ten. She explained to Bruana the relationships her office now had with Iola’s and Dabchick’s, what Bruana should be looking for in what needed using, and who would be likely to be difficult.

Bruana smiled and said, “I shall be able to make their lifes far more difficult than they could possibly make mine. If need be, to the point where another craft would seem preferable, and I don’t have a problem telling someone that. I’d far rather have fewer willing crafters than more some of whom are uncoöperative.”

Coaltit smiled and said, “Once I had your energy, Bruana, but age comes to all eventually. I am pleast that the stores are going to be in your charge. I shall inform the crafters of the change, and that you will be here at six nextday forenoon. Enjoy the eve with your family, and I shall see you nextday, when I look forward to meeting Ianto.”

Bruana went home pleased with the way her life had changed. She was not in the least bothered by the prospect of disciplining difficult crafters, for they would do as they were telt, or they would craft else where. Coaltit was relieved the end of her working life was in sight without any guilt as a result of feeling she had let Milligan, the kitchens and the Folk down.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00289010

I WAS THAT AUTHORITY

NO OTHER TERMS

21st of Vilar Day 289

Bruana arrived with Ianto at the stores at half to six and had a kettle of leaf ready for her crafters when they arrived. She had heard all the tales concerning Iola’s and Morris’ difficulties and their resolutions, and she had decided to start as she meant to continue. By the time the crafters had all assembled waiting for her to spaek it was a few minutes over six, and all had had leaf. “I don’t know what Coaltit has telt you of me, so I shall tell you as though she has telt you naught. Since the age of threeteen I have craftet in the forest. I am a feller by craft and have been Mistress forester of the High Force forestry crew since the age of twenty five. I have marryt Noah, an incomer, and adoptet Kirsty and Shirley, two girls on the edge of womanhood, and Ianto is a lune old. I have changt craft because I wish to be at home to enjoy my family growing up. I know virtually naught of fruit and vegetable preserving or storing and I expect all of you to assist in my learning. Coaltit will be coming in to help me too.

“I have hearet of the problems in the kitchens and I have hearet of the changes that have sincely maekt the kitchens a better place to craft. The forest is a dangerous place to craft and to make it as safe as possible a disciplint acceptance of authority is necessary. I was that authority, and I have not changt. I have been warnt that there are some of you who will be difficult. No you shall not. Not if you will to craft for me. I am as autocratic as Morris and Iola. If you can’t accept that I suggest you leave now. I have this placement at the desire of Milligan and Gibb purely because I am uest to authority, which they consider to be more important than being able to store fruit, so you will not receive any sympathy from either of them if I decide I do not will you crafting for me. Any who is still here in five minutes I shall assume wishes to be so on my terms because there are no other terms available to you. Now, that is the unpleasant part over. I have a list of what Coaltit considers should be sortet before she arrives at ten, so I suggest we all take another mug of leaf and make a start on the whiteleaf.”(5)

There were no serious malcontents crafting in the stores, and Bruana’s spaech had frightened the few who’d had any potential for being difficult. They were all aware Glæt and Braum, the crafters whom Morris had telt to leave, had got no help from Gibb or Milligan. Though now accepted back by Morris none knew any details of what had occurred, but all could see they they were now much humbled, taekt orders from Ivana immediately and were grateful to have been reinstated. The idea of being without a craft was worrying. When Coaltit arrived she was pleased to see Bruana dealing so effectively with the storekeepers.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00291010

ASSEMBLING THE WHEEL

WHITE HOT RIVETS

23rd of Vilar Day 291

The weather was still awful, but Judith was feeling pleased. The wheel end sectors had been cast and riveted together. The massive oak axle, maekt from the heartwood of a whole tree selected for the purpose prior to felling, had been turned by Posy, on a moderately windy day between centres, in a wind powered lathe constructt for the purpose, and Wolf’s crafters had cast and fitt the bearing running surfaces on its ends as well as casting the twelve two-part spoke retainers which Oak and Jason had shrink-clamp-riveted berount and pinned to the axle. George had had the entire axle assembly reset back in the lathe frame, turned the cast ends, which he called journals, to a fine finish and adjusted it to make it rotate truly in balance. The soft metal bearing shells had been maekt and fitt in their oak carriers and then scraped to a finish fit berount the axle journals. Thisday, Oak, Jason and Gem with numerous assistants were going to assemble the wheel parts berount the axle which was now sitting across two narrow over size saw pit cradles specially maekt for the job.

After braekfast, Judith went with her family including her mum and dad to Oak’s smithy where despite the weather it looked like half the Folk had had the same idea. There were only six hundred persons, mostly, but by no means all, men, but Milligan was one of them, and he had Oak assemble one of his a portable fire places so Iola’s crafters could provide hot leaf and soup. There was a decidedly Quarterday feel to the occasion. The wheel was being worked on just outside the smithy. A huge ring was worked over the axle to its middle, and one after another four spokes were fed through the ring, each a quarter of the way berount from its neighbours, to be connected to the casting on the axle to the left of the ring. Steel washers were slipped on the spokes up to a shoulder before the spoke was pushed through a hole in the casting. Then more washers and temporary pins were pushed through the holes in the spoke ends. A split and twisted washer was slipped berount each spoke, again up to a shoulder, just inside the ring and straightened so as to retain it, another washer was slipped on the spoke end protruding through the ring and temporary pins put through the holes in the spoke ends again.

Another four spokes, each in between two already fitt, had similar treatment but their inner ends went to a casting to the right of the ring. A ring was fed over the axle from each end in turn. Each ring had four spokes going inwards to the casting already retaining four spokes, then four more spokes were fitt in between the already fitt ones to go to the next casting outwards. This procedure was repeated with the remaining six rings. Oak and Jason had more than a dozen helpers and they became faster as they became uest to the procedure. The axle was now suspended in the middle by the spokes. The two heavy wheel ends were put into position using manpower and a rope wrapped berount the frame to act as a friction brake to prevent them slipping backwards. The wheel ends were similarly connected by twelve spokes each to castings that only taekt spokes from them. The wheel ends were finally fitt and thrust collars affixt into place on the axle outside each of their ends. It had taken just over three hours.

Oak and Jason, who were glad to see Wolf had assembled another two of their portable fire places and Milligan had crafters preparing hot food as well as leaf and soup, ate their meal whilst Gem, Firefox and Honesty’s boys, Mangel, Mace and Millet, blew the hearth up to bright red heatth for them. There were nearly two hundred rivets to heat till they were almost too bright to look at, and which in turn were going to replace the temporary pins in the spoke ends. All the inner end rivets were to be fitt first leaving the outer more accessible ones for any necessary adjustment. Both working from the scaffolding, Oak as the bigger of the two smiths was going to insert the pins and hold their glowing heads in position whilst Jason the slighter and more agile contorted himself berount the spokes and peint(6) the rivet tails down. Gem was carrying the nearly white hot rivets whilst Wolf and the boys maintained the hearth. They had finished the inner end rivets in rather more than two hours. It was half to two and cold, yet Oak and Jason were stripped to the waist and sweating. Even those who were cold had no intention of leaving till the wheel was assembled.

A quick couple of pasties each, a mug of leaf and Oak, Jason and Gem were back at work. The bearings were fitt and the cradles repositioned to support the bearing caps. George turned the whole wheel in its bearings, all were surprised at how little effort it taekt. He had a metal rod which he clamped to the frame and after hitting the centre ring and revolving the wheel, which he did thrice, he said, “That’s it. Rivet it down.” The smiths worked the same way on the outer rivets they had on the inners, but because of the better access and their ability to work standing on the ground, not six strides in the air, the procedure was much faster. The same procedure was followed for each ring alternating from left to right. Sometimes George had to hit the ring several time to centralise it, one was already centred, twice he requested additional split washers on the inside of the ring and thrice additional washers outside the ring. When they reached the wheel ends it taekt George a quarter of an hour to adjust them to his liking before he telt Jason to rivet the last spokes on each end. Jason did the last of the riveting and George adjusted the thrust collars again before turning the wheel one last time.

The gloam was drawing in and George smiled and said, “Perfect timing and she’ll do nicely. However, in this state she’s very dangerous, easy to start rotating and very difficult to stop. She’ll have to be blocked because she’ll be irresistible to children.”

“No problem,” said Oak and he levered the frame up on one side and said, “Jason, just take the blocks out please.” Jason removed the blocks and as Oak slowly lowered the frame the wheel sank into the soft earth two or three wiedths and was completely immobile. “any child who can move that I wish to have spaech with with a view to offering an apprenticeship.” There was a general laugh at that, and Oak said to Jason and Gem, “If I smell as bad as you two we’d better have a bath before we’ve no friends left and Granny, your mum and sisters leave home.” Jason grinned and he, Gem and his dad went home for a bath all feeling pleased with themselfs and very tired.

Later that eve Judith called with a bottle of geän(7) brandy for the smiths and some confectionery for Gem. Oak opened the brandy and poured two small glasses. He handed one to Jason who wide eyed said, “I’ll try it, Dad, but no promises I’ll like it.” Jason sipped his glass and said, “I’ll finish this, but no more. Gratitude, Mistress Judith.”

Judith telt Oak, “I came for two reasons, Oak, to deliver the brandy and confectionery in gratitude and to ask if you would prefer to assemble the pail castings on the wheel here, at Dockside, at the site on the ground or with the wheel in place. I don’t need an answer now, but the ship Mistress who is transporting it wants to know if she can take it when she sets sail in five days, or will it have to wait a couple of tenners till she’s back at the Keep.”

Oak thought a second or two and said “Have the wheel and the pails taken to Dockside and transportet to the site as soon as possible. We don’t have to decide whether to fit the pails with it on the ground or in place till we arrive to do the riveting.”

“Yes, you’re right. Thank you again, I must go. The little ones will be expecting me to tuck them up in bed.” With that Judith left, and Jason finished his brandy before saying, “I don’t need tucking up, Dad, but I do need my bed. Goodnight.”

Oak looked at Faith who had been nursing the girls in their bedchamber where the most convenient chair for nursing the two together was. “Jason’s crafting was excellent thisday, Gem’s too, for he keept going far longer than I believt he could. He was tiren but rightly proud he finisht the task. I will to ask him if he wishes to come with us to the mill site. I know he says he wishes to be a smith, but I’m not pressing him because he may change his mind, but it’s a big task he may enjoy, and he’s never sailt over the Arder. Do you mind?”

“Of course not. You ready for bed, Love? Because I am. Mum goent an hour since just after Gem, and Lilly opient she will probably be back mid or late forenoon.”

Oak stood and held his hand out. They were all tired and nextday was another day.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00299010

THE HILL OF THE FOLK

THOSE WHO SHALL NEVER DIE

1st of Minyet Day 299

The Folk had no religion, they had a social philosophy: the Way, yet they had a reverence for those who had contributed more than could be expected and who had passed. Many such Folk had been interred on the Hill of the Folk. On the first warm day after the winter, Yew, as tradition expected of the Lady or Lord of Castle, went, as did thousands of others throughout the day, to pay his silent respects to those whose contributions had kept them alive. There was no ceremony, nor a service any Earth religion would have recognised. It was a totally silent remembrance of many whom they could no longer remember. Yew did not feel it was an obligation of Lordship. For him it was a debt he was glad to be repaying, this time most particularly to Hazel who had assisted him, enabled him even, to function as Lord of Castle for so long. Neither he nor Hazel had been sentimental, yet both had accepted the unspaeken love they had for each other, and Yew was grateful that Rowan who held his hand throughout understood but referred to it not.

Yew was known to believe there were some who never truly dien, for it was his belief one dien the first time when one’s body failt, one dien the second time when one was consigned to the ground, the fire or the deep, but one only truly dien when one’s name was bethinkt of or spaken for the last time, which was why he spake aloud the names on the grave markers. Hazel was not interred on the Hill of the Folk, but with her kin, which maekt no difference to Yew because the memories he had of her were with him wherever he was, and he bethinkt himself of her every day. He walked the Hill spaeking the names on the grave markers of folk he only knew of because they were interred here. He had read the markers many times over the years, for the Hill was a place he came to or meditated on oft when he was troubled and knew not how to proceed with his Lordship, though only Rowan was aware of that. As he reread the markers, as always, he gazed berount him seeing the panoramic views available from the Hill. The views that all of the dead would have been familiar with. He had no idea what most of them had done to be considered to be of such consequence, for he had deliberately not tried to discover, but he hoped when his passing occurred he would be considered to have been of their consequence.

Rowan knew that for her man the walking of the Hill was a matter of considerable importance and she wished to be there for him for as long as he wished. Many of her ancestors were interred here, and she was aware of what each and every one of them had done to justify that. Despite that, she knew that for Yew being there was of much more significance than for her. It was that aspect of his being that had finally allowed her to accept his desire for agreement. That they had more than the usual amount of dispute she knew was due to her, and Rowan knew her dad was correct concerning his view of Yew’s regard for the Folk and the love that Yew had for herself. As a result she loved him the more despite her difficulties to admit it. She accepted Yew knew of her problems as she knew of his. That he was willing to accept the evidence of her love without her telling him of it much maekt her not only love him the more, but maekt her respect him more than any other, including her dad.

“It’s becoming calt now. Let us go home, Love. That, with help, I have successfully managt an incursion as Lord, which you know I believt Siskin would be more able to deal with than I, is a debt I wish to repay. I will to hold a dinner for our kith sometime within the next tenner if you would be so kind as to arrange matters. I would like it to be earlier than usual so the children can be there too to dance at least for a while.”

Yew could still surprise her, and Rowan loved him for that too, not least because though he was prosaic and pragmatic regards life he was at heart a romantic man. She also knew when he referred to his debt he meant to Hazel, but she would never embarrass him by acknowledging it. That he wished the children there too touched her almost to the point of tears. With moist eyes, she said “I shall organise it, Love. When you say our kith, how many have you in mind? Because most of the Folk regard you as kith.”

Yew had never been able to accept how highly he was regarded by the Folk, and so replied, “In that case, Rowan Love, I suggest you leave the matter with, Milligan, Basil and Hobby. Though I doubt they’ll be able to organise such an event in less than a lune.”

“I shall so arrange matters, Love, but if you are ready let us go. I am aware you have things you wish to do.”

Yew kissed his wife, and said “Gratitude, Rowan. Home.”

As they left Rowan thought the best way to manage things was to have spaech with Will and Thomas of the Fifth Quarterday she willen declared to evidence Yew’s request that all should join him in his repayment of his debt to them all. Thomas would have it recorded and thus assure her man of his place on the Hill.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00299020

GUARDIANS AND EVACUATION

COUNCIL MEETING MINYET

1st of Minyet Day 299

The weather was warming but the rain maekt things unpleasant outside. The ingeniators had still not allowed unrestricted access to the courtyard, though most folk regarded that as no hardship.

The only real information of significance had been provided by Will. “I have had eight youngsters, five girls and three boys between the ages of twelve and seventeen join us as guardians and they and some four dozen of my younger staff are training together with a view to providing squads more capable of dealing with any situations of the type we have discussed the flaught may create. Gale telt me we have eighty-odd adult Turners willing to cross craft with us. A number of them have joint the waggoners too which she considers will be a valuable addition to our resources since they will become familiar with everywhere that there are Folk on Castle. She is managing a special lærership(8) which is being designed partially by them in order to maximise the usefulth of their abilities. A tenner since two squads comprising new crafters and experienced ones escortet the waggoners conveying the younger vulnerable changt children to their temporary sanctuaries at the holdings. They have adult Turners with them to instruct them in what I’m telt they need to learn before they return to the Keep. If I suppose they do return to the Keep. They are all aware that they have a craft with the huntsmen if they choose to accept it.” Will looked berount before adding, “It is early to say much, but it seems to be a satisfactory arrangement to all my staff, for all are learning from each other. I consider the best thing is to allow them to decide how they go about it for themselfs.”

Most of the Councillors smiled, for though most of the Folk considered Will to be a hard and autocratic man the truth was he was a superb leader of what would otherwise be a large group of social misfits that could not be led by more conventional means. He telt them what he wanted and in the main left it to his crafters to decide how to go about it. He was highly thought of by his crafters and his leadership style produced results in a tightly knit group of Folk who oft crafted under difficult and dangerous conditions. The huntsman’s office was the Councillors considered a natural place for the Turners to feel safe and valued.

Campion added, “It seems that the Turners are learning to coöperate better not just with each other but with others too. Swegn believes it is because they feel safer and appreciate the help to ensure the safety of their youngest members.” There were nods berount the chamber, but no further discussion of the Turners.

The only really interesting thing for the Council to gossip of was Nightlights, Alkanet’s (29) girl babe birtht half a tenner since who had one yellow eye and a dark green one. It was not unknown, but it was unusual. Alkanet had green eyes and her man Ferdinand had blue eyes, and there was absolutely no possibility she had slept with any other as she was still completely besotted with her much older husband. The Folk had a rudimentary understanding of breeding outcomes, but no understanding of genetics, and any hap that would have spoilt the gossip.

After Yew had closed the Council meeting, Rowan waited so that she would leave with Thomas. In a quiet voice so she could not be over heard she said, “I will spaech with you and Will, Thomas. I will that Yew is not aware of it till the decisions have been maekt. He wishes a large dinner for all our kith so he can express his gratitude to all for enabling him to manage the incursion. He wills it earlier than usual that the children may enjoy some dancing too. I telt him that all the Folk regard him as kith, and he sayt if so then best leave it to Basil, Milligan and Hobby. I will a fifth Quarterday declaert on his behalf and bethink myself you and Will would be best to manage all.” Rowan looked behind her and mischievously said, “Yew is ready to leave, but not a word to him please.”

Thomas smiled and said, “I have been wondering for years how you would manipulate him a place on the hill, but I agree and I’m sure his brother will too.”

That stunned Rowan and she asked, “How did you find out he and Will shared the same blood, Thomas, for I was sure only Will and I knoewn?”

“Will and Yew telt me not long after the incursion. It’s a family matter best kept twixt brothers, Rowan for the three of us grew up so. I’ll have spaech with Will of the matter for you and tell you what we consider best. It’s a fine idea, but Yew is looking berount him doubtless seeking his wife. You’d best go.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00301010

HAGGIS TRAYBAKE

EUDES AND FULBERT

3rd of Minyet Day 301

A tenner since, Ashridge had asked Iola if she had the makings of a haggis main meal for the Refectory. She’d admitted she didn’t know, but since Dabchick would, and she’d said naught to her yet she assumed not. They went to ask Dabchick who said they had everything required except enough liver. She telt Ashridge she would tell Iola as soon as there was enough, and when convenient they would make the meat mix for Eudes. She said she thought it would be a few days at most. It was ten. Iola asked Fulbert if he wished the starchroots(9) peeled for boiling, or would he prefer them baked and to reserve the shells. He wished the shells, so Iola’s crafters managed the starchroots and winteroots(10) and Dabchick’s the haggis mix. The Seven Craft Tatties were served at lunch and the haggis that eve. All had hearet of the kitchens’ banquet and had been wondering when haggis was to be on the menu. The kitcheners had samples available and all who tried a sample ate the dish. Less than half who had wished to try it could be so served, and late comers to eat were disappointed it had all gone.

The provisioners had processed and frozen the tripe from every carcass, be it of what ever kind or size, they had received since the banquet, and the haggis had uest it all. Dabchick had been correct, it was no where near one part in twenty of the mix. Dabchick pointed out to Iola, “Haggis doesn’t have to contain tripe you know. I know it is nourishing, but it can’t add much, if aught, to the taste, and we could make it without to keep the Folk happy. It’s just that we have a way to use tripe in huge quantities now. I also suspect when haggis is on the menu there will be little point in cooking over much of aught else. The vegetables that are uest with the dish: oats, onions, starchroots, winteroots and kail are all easily grown in quantity every year and store well, so it is an almost perfect meal to produce during the cold weather.”

“You’re right, Dabchick. As soon as we have the makings with or without tripe we’ll do it again.” Iola chuckled and continued, “I trade the onion skins with the dyers for the onion, the starchroot produces two easy meals and the winteroot peel is taken off thick to provide substance in any one of a dozen well enjoyt substantial soups. It is a perfect meal to make in winter.”

It was Gibb who pointed out to the managers that the craft relationships mongst all the offices in the kitchens were changing as it was realised that those who coöperated with each other had much easier lifes, and Abigail who pointed out that their own lifes had become much easier too as Iola’s influence had spread to even the most egotistical of cooks. Bruana had completely solved all staffing problems in the stores, and they were now running as smoothly as they had when Coaltit was younger. Bruana was perceived to be a good woman to craft for and was attracting young apprentices and assistants. Abigail had referred to her as, ‘a significant crafter we were fortunate to acquire,’ and reported that she had virtually no problems left in her office.

Ashridge reported that he had noticed that some of the more irascible middle rank cooks were now treating their impaired assistants with far more consideration than of yore. Some of their assistants had simply left their previous positions and started crafting for Iola. They had telt Iola that they would willingly craft for her, but they would not return. Iola gave them something to do since she could no more compel them to return than their erstwhile Mistresses and Masters could. Iola had telt Gibb of the situation who had advised the ill tempered cooks that if they wished any staff to remain they needed to treat them with some consideration because if none would craft for them he would have to replace them with someone the assistants would craft for. Milligan thought though the kitchens were a long way from perfection they were even further from the mess they had been. The remaining problems were all in the main kitchens, but with the five managers now able to concentrate their efforts on fewer and fewer problems as time went on in support of their better cooks he considered it would not be long before they would be left with just the acceptable day to day issues that all crafters faced from time to time.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00302010

YEW’S QUARTERDAY

DECISIONS

4th of Minyet Day 302

Thomas had had spaech with Will concerning Rowan’s desire for a fifth Quarterday for Yew. Will had nodded and said, “It needs be after First Quarterday and preferably in good weather so all can enjoy it to the full. Halfway twixt two quarterdays would be best and since quarterdays are on the first or the fiveteenth of the lune I suggest the fiveteenth of Darrow. The weather is always fine then and the hunting good with a bountiful amount of food coming in from the early season’s harvest, so all can be fedd all they can eat at virtually no cost or risk to the next cold season’s supplies. If we have spaech with Milligan, that little girl he has running his kitchens for him and Coriander’s bakers can have soups of all descriptions available all day with breads to go with it. I’ll have our kitchen's spits providing meat too. What bethink you?”

Thomas taekt a few seconds before saying, “The fiveteenth of Darrow would be good, and I agree with your reasoning.” Thomas laught and added, “Doetn’t know you were so good at my craft, Will. Sure you don’t will to craft in my office for a while? Just as a change?” Suddenly serious he said, “I’m surpriest you have a problem with Milligan’s kitchen organisation. Why would that bother you?”

Will laught at the suggestion he taekt up record keeping even if only for a while, but said, “I don’t have a problem with Milligan’s kitchens. Promoting Iola and giving the filly her head was one of the most intelligent things he’s ever done, if not the single most intelligent thing he’s ever done. She’s the one who brought order to what was the worst collection of misfits we’ve ever had, including my office. I’d have put dozens of them out for Castle to reclaim if you’d even hintet at it, The only reason I doetn’t was because Aaron indicatet to me that he was dealing with the matter. I’m not sure of the details, though Gage would tell me if I askt, but he has an arrangement with Iola of some sort concerning the small game such that Folk are not aware of some of the things they’re eating. I’m not sure I wish to know, for if I don’t I won’t have to lie if I am ever askt concerning it. Gale probably knows, since she is Gage’s major mentor, but none will ask her. Changing the subject, what are we going to call this extra Quarterday for all of the few such in the records have had names not numbers?”

“You know why Rowan wills this do you not?”

“Of course. To ensure Yew is burryt on the Hill.”

“You’ve answert your own question, Will. Yew’s Quarterday.”

Will was choking with laughter as he spluttered, “Mercy. Every mistake the man ever maekt will be remembert forever. Still it could have been worse.”

“How?”

“I could have been Lord, and I’ve maekt far more mistakes than Yew ever doet.”

It was a laughing Thomas who said, “I’ll tell Rowan what we’ve discusst, and let you know if she agrees.”

Suddenly serious, Will said, “Tell her to have spaech of it with her dad. If Pilot is involvt all will be well. Now I must go, for Gale will need to be telt so as to ensure we have the meat ready in advance. When are you planning to announce it to the Folk?”

“Next Quarterday, why?”

“Tell me when, and I’ll make sure Yew is there. Not least because I will to see the look on his face.”

Thomas met Rowan and Siskin, Yew’s heir, just as he was returning to his office. “Siskin knows, Thomas,” Rowan telt him.

Thomas invited the pair into his personal craft chamber and as they entered he said to Gareth, who was as usual using it for Thomas rarely did, “You need to hear this, Gareth, for a large part of the organisation will fall on your shoulders.” Thomas telt them of his discussion with Will including naming the day ‘Yew’s Quarterday’ and Will’s suggestion that Pilot be involved.

“Dad’s own quarterday!” Sisking was clearly impressed. “Grandfa will help, Mum,” Siskin telt Rowan. “And he’ll stop you getting into needless dispute.”

Rowan was initially silenced by her recognition of the truth of Siskin’s last remark, but she eventually sayt, “There is truth in that, Love, so I’ll let you and Dad organise all for the family. But I want to be there to see your dad’s face when he hears of it too.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00303010

FUNDING THE BONE MILL

THE DOGS HAVE TO BE FEDD

5th of Minyet Day 303

Judith was aware that any number of water mills had been built on Earth for the milling of bones, mostly for agricultural fertiliser. She knew historically a number had been built in England to mill bones imported from German graveyards, but she had no knowledge of the workings of those mills. She had telt Briar the cost of housing the kitchens’ stones would be very little since they would be producing only one product which she assumed would be coarse. It was from her point of view just a matter of enclosing them in a vat and providing an outlet chute. The cost of providing an additional pair of stones, even with a dedicated pair of crushing rollers, in an existing mill was much less than Briar had thought it would be. Milligan thought it acceptable and went to have spaech with Will concerning sharing the cost since a lot of the bone flour would be uest in dog biscuits. “It’s not the cost itself, Will, but I should like to spread the cost out over time and you could help.”

“I bethink me you haven’t bethinkt yourself of this tightly at all, Milligan.” Will had a devious look on his face. “Why should the cost, even for the stones, come out of either of our offices, when we are here to feed the Folk? This should all be payt for directly out of the Collective. I’ll have spaech with Yew and Thomas concerning the matter. Just to make sure I understand, let me tell you my understanding. Iola extracts nourishment from the bones, but can’t extract it all. At the moment some of those bones are being uest as fire fuel, which is a waste. We will to mill the bones so they can be turnt into a soup ingredient or dog biscuits. That feeds the Folk and means the dogs are eating less other food that should properly be feeding the Folk too. The dogs have to be fedd in order to provide the Folk with more food.”

Milligan thought and eventually sayt with an embarrassed look on his face, “That’s it in a tellin,(11) Will.”

“I am sure there will be no problems, Milligan. Iola and Gage are highly regardet by the Council for their contributions to the weälth(12) of the Folk, and this will help them to increase their contributions. Leave it with me, I’ll ask Rowan to deal with the matter rather than Yew and Thomas.”

At that Milligan ruefully smiled at Will’s deviousness and said, “I suspect she’ll be able to achieve the desiert result.” Both knowing even Yew was reluctant to argue with Rowan they parted certain they would achieve their ends. Milligan thought the proposed procedure was somewhat underhand though Will merely considered it to be a fair and reasonable way to feed the Folk.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00306010

WE BLEW IT OUT FOR YOU

ANY HAP MILLIGAN’S AFEART OF ME

8th of Minyet Day 306

The new mill started construction under the supervision of a very pregnant Judith. Judith was now eight lunes, and hugely, pregnant, Storm had not been happy regards her going to the mill site, but she had already maekt sure she had all the information she needed to have her own way. She concluded her arguments with, “There are three midwifes at Dockside, and I only need one.” Storm accepting that he was out-manoeuvred held his peace. The wheel and the pail castings were already at the site, and Oak had decided after looking at the site it would be easier to assemble them with the wheel in position. George was happy with that because it meant his crane would be lifting far less weighth into position. The shear legs crane, which had moved the wheel from Oak’s smithy to where the ship’s hoist could load it, was mounted on a waggon and the horses had been nervous whilst moving the swinging load. Oak and his boys had returned home to assist Briar and Barret in the construction of the new drive for the kitchens’ bone crusher and mill stones.

Briar had arranged for Alec and Harris, the well diggers, to dig the wheel housing. Harris had remarked to Alec, “It’s not oft I’ve had work where there’s this much elbow space.”

Alec had said, “Nor me, so let’s enjoy it whilst we can.” The two men had reached bed rock with another stride to go in four days. From their point of view that was it, but they carried on crafting by digging out the leet and the tail sluice because they enjoyed being there. They were now working a day and fishing for a day. Meanwhile Judith had sent a message to Brock and Bruin for the bedrock of the wheel housing to be blasted out which cost them a tenner.

Graill had arrived with his wife, Joanna, who it turned out had been a Keep cook for ten years before joining Basil’s chamberers, and five excited younger apprentices all from different crafts. Alice, Alec’s wife, had decided to take some time off from the Keep pastry cooks, leaving her kitchens in the charge of Alfgar, and had accompanied her husband. As she put it, “At our age we don’t much like being apart. That’s why we have agreement, and if either of us is to go we wish to be with each other. And any hap Milligan’s afeart of me.” The last was said to the accompaniment of laughter because Alice though a generous and good friend was a rather formidable old woman. Hence the food was rather good, Joanna cooked and Alice baked, sweet things as well as savoury because Alec had a sweet tooth.

They lived for a tenner in a Gather tent initially, and when Graill and his apprentices had the first of two large cabins up and roofed some moved into it. A tenner later, when the other was completed the rest of them moved in to that one. There was still virtually no privacy and they were cramped, but they were now living in warm and dry cabins which were a considerable improvement on the draughty and damp tent. The first big cabin was destined to be a cook house and refectory and the other, next to it with the intervening space roofed over for fuel wood storage, was for the bath and shower facilities. To save time, Graill was building long cabins divided into ten separate dwellings, each had two ground floor rooms, one in front of and the other behind the ridge pole with a sleeping space over the rooms. Each was designed to accommodate two adults and two children.

When asked what he would do for larger families, he laught and replied, “Cut a door out between two or even more of them.” As the dwellings were finished folk moved into them and gradually the large cabins were vacated. As a result the cooking and washing facilities were vastly improven. Finally Graill built tool stores and the stables ready for the horses. Then he started building yet another long cabin and said, “We just keep building because the way this place is growing we’re going to have to. I opine we can attract youngsters aplenty to help just for the excitement of being somewhere new.” He had been correct and as his workforce expanded and also became more experienced the housing ceased to be a problem.

The Big Brothers, or B & B, as Brock and Bruin were known, arrived. They frightened the crafters half to deadth when they blew out the wheel housing bedrock, but as Bruin put it, “We presuemt you doetn’t wish to have to remove large pieces of rock from five strides down so we blew it up and out for you.” The housing was on the steep slope and at its lower end allowed the water to run away in the channel blown out for it. The two brothers, uest to living in the wild, taekt it upon themselfs to hunt for the cook house. With their game and the fish caught by Alec and Harris the food was even better than before. Joanna, who had a soft spot for the boys, as she referred to the big brothers, maekt sure they had enough to eat since they were both fond of their food, and they telt Judith since they had naught of particular import to do for a lune they were staying at the mill site in case they were needed.

Fiddil and Orcharder the stone mazuns from the Keep ingeniators were both experienced older men who quickly appreciated the required stonework, and they also understood the situation regarding the Collective funding. “None is going to miss us for at least a couple of lunes,” Fiddil telt Judith. “We’ve no obligations and as long as we’re fedd and houst you can pay us when you can. Save the funding for supplies and hardset.”

Judith asked Briar, “Why aren’t they bothered regards payment, Briar? I don’t understand.”

“They both retire within half a year and they are enjoying crafting here, for this is different from aught they have ever doen before. I suspect both may ask to be keept on a small remuneration as maintenance for the mill and chose to live here, for neither have any family and a small community like this is the next best thing for them. Wait till you see their work. I telt you they’re fast and good.” It was as Briar had said the two old men were the fastest stone mazuns Judith had ever seen. In addition they produced stonework of the highest quality with tight joints between the stones they laid. They had the wheel housing built in seven days and had started on the diversion of the river stonework which they admitted was not of the same quality since they would be replacing it with the leet and the tail-race breastworks eventually and would reuse the stone.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00306020

STILL PLAYING GAMES

I’LL BE GLAD TO LOSE THE BUMP

8th of Minyet Day 306

Almond had grown huge with her pregnancy. Her breasts had swollen to match her bulge and her cotte(13) and though she was grateful for the support of the brassières provided by Janet and her crafters she said many a time it was a pity she could not find something to support her bump in the same way. She tired easily and could have become unhappy with her body but for Marcus. Marcus never tired of looking at her and willingly did all she struggled doing. She had never felt as desirable or as treasured. Marcus still teased her and played the dominating husband and she loved playing the submissive, though as she admitted ‘not quite so little any more’ wife. Crake was birtht in the afternoon and was a hale babe of three and a quarter weights and was named after Almond’s grandfa. Almond was tired but not exhausted and telt Marcus. “I want a girl next time, but you shall name her. I’ll be glad to lose the bump, but I hope for both of us my breasts and cotte don’t disappear.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00309010

FRENCH ONION SOUP

MOULDY CHEESE

11th of Minyet Day 309

Melanie’s mum had maekt French onion soup that Iola had liekt. After school when she went to Melanie’s house her mum had oft given them a bowl to warm them up after the long walk home from school in the cold, before they delivered the papers. But though Iola knew of a receipt she had no idea what were the critical stages, and she knew it was regarded as a tricky soup to prepare. She had always meant to have spaech with Melanie’s mum regards how she maekt it, but she’d never done so. Rather than just start experimenting, which she was going to do if necessary, she thought one of the newfolk may know the details, so she investigated the matter. She had written down the eight receipts she’d acquired. They were all slightly different, and all slightly different from what she remembered, and none was entirely appropriate for the scale she now cooked on. The only things they all agreed on were the basic ingredients, including the unavailable olive oil, and the slow, low heatth caramelisation of the onions which taekt time, aught up to several hours, but no effort since they could be left to cook with just the occasional stir.

Iola and Adela decided on a their initial receipt, using dairy oil, and Adela cooked it overnight with the kettle and the frying pan initially on small pieces of fire brick to lift them off the stove and provide the gentle heat required. They had decided to use both a kettle and a pan to see if it maekt a difference. They’d also decided Adela should make five gallons in each and what ever didn’t work would go into the stock kettle. The only loss would be the brandy the kettle or pan had been deglazed with after cooking the onions and garlic. “What bethink you, Iola?” Adela asked when Iola came in at six next forenoon.

Iola tried both soups and nodded, “The soup maekt in the kettle is good, but the soup maekt in the pan is excellent. It’s not exactly as I remember it, but I may not be remembering it accurately. I opine the difference is due to more water being driven off from the onions in the pan than in the kettle. Any hap, it’s excellent, and I do believe we have our French Onion Soup. Let’s find Spoonbill to hear what he has to say.”

Spoonbill tasted the pan soup, once, twice and thrice before announcing to their total surprise, “Yes. That’s as good as it can be. I can’t improve on that. It’s a superb taste much better than that in the kettle, yet that would be an excellent base for a meat soup, for it’s far too good to waste in a stock.”

They had another easy winter soup and decided to caramelise the onions in the large fish kettles in future. The crisp-baked, horizontally-sliced bannocks spread with crushed garlic cooked in dairy oil and topped with melted cheese to accompany the soup were just considered to be pieces of toast and were baked and finished to melt the cheese for them by the bakers. When Iola had asked the dairy crafters, who were not part of Milligan’s kitchen staff, for some cheese, she had in turn been asked by Betony what did she require. She had explained what she wished it for, and said, “I don’t mind what it is, I’ll take what ever you wish to give me, it can be mixt cheese as long it will melt and is strong enough to have some taste left after melting.”

Betony had asked, “Some of what we’d like uest has a very strong taste, but it is beginning to mould. It’ll be ideal for cooking with after the mould and the rind has been cutt off. If we put that to the rest of what we wish uest, some of which will have little taste after melting and make the mix to the amount you wish with what ever else is convenient will that be acceptable? We have a big grater, it’s a bit like the provisioners’ crumb mill, and we could grate it all for you if you like?”

Iola who’d always liekt strong cheese had replied, “That will be just what I wish, but don’t cut the mould or the rinds off, or even wipe it. Just grate it all as it is complete with the mould with the rest please.”

Betony, surprised by the request to leave the mouldy cheese as it was, asked, “Are you sure regards the mould, and the rinds, Iola?”

“Yes. Mouldy cheese is an expensive delicacy whence I came, and as with cheese, most of the taste disappears when cookt, but it does leave a better cheese taste. The rinds are just cheese that doesn’t need to be wastet, you won’t be able to tell the difference when they are gratet and meltet. If any wishes cheese with the rinds cutt off in future, or wishes mould cutt off make sure the cheese they don’t wish comes to me please, complete with all the mould and rind.” The cheese crafters had done as requested, and at their eve meal nextday, most of them had ordered the soup and nervously tried the accompanying wedges of toasted bannock with melted cheese. They had been pleasantly surprised.

It was a popular soup, and Ashridge, always trying to widen the menus, especially in the winter lunes, had said if it were possible for it to be maekt twice a lune Abigail would be grateful because there was a plentiful supply of onions. He had also said if Iola considered the cheesy accompaniment to be suitable for any other soup the dairy crafters and he would be happy with that. Iola had suggested the cheesy accompaniments could be produced any time with any menu, not just soup, and they would be appreciated by diners. She also suggested any cut off mouldy cheese and rinds could be gratet and uest on the Seven Craft Tatties or even just melted over lastday’s reheated vegetables as something different. The ideas were tried and the cheese crafters were now producing appreciated food and had their waste down to naught, but they reserved the strongest and mouldiest cheese for the soup kitchen’s requirements.

As a result of her French onion soup receipts acquired from the incomers and Michelle’s receipts Iola decided she wished to record all the receipts that the incomers were aware of. It would be a big task, and Adela suggested, “Have spaech with the Master at arms staff. They’ll be happy to do it for you and organise it in what ever way you will, write it all down and when they’ve finisht they’ll have it bound into books. They’ll keep at least one copy for the incursion archives and give you a copy. Doubtless they’ll be pleast to be creating something new rather than just copying old records.”

Adela had been correct, the Master at arms staff had been delighted and surprised, if a little embarrassed, they had overlooked so significant a record. They estimated it would take at least a year, but they would start betimes.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00312010

ERATIC EMOTIONS

LILLY AND GAGE

14th of Minyet Day 312

It was the fourteenth of Minyet and First Quarterday was nextday. The Council had as was usual decided it was too cold and windy to use the Gatherfield. The Greathall and the courtyard were going to be uest for the Gather, and the dinner dance was as always in the Greathall. Lilly was excited and wished to look as attractive as possible for Gage at the Quarterday festivities and the dance in the eve. She had been trying on different clothes and dressing her hair in different styles for nearly a tenner. Ellen and Faith just kept smiling to each other at Lilly’s impatience for the day to arrive. Lilly was growing up, she had started her lunetimes recently and was still learning to come to terms with her hormones, and the effect they were having on her usually placid temperament. She was a span taller than half a year since and her emergent hips and breasts were beginning to give her a more womanly figure, but she wasn’t entirely comfortable with her new shape. She had been apprenticed as midwife to Irena for a lune and a half now, and it was as much as she could do to manage that.

Strangely to herself, the only one she was entirely comfortable having spaech with of her changing body was Gage. Gage had a lot of empathy as his voice was frequently, but unpredictably, changing in mid-syllable from a manly baritone to a boyish treble and just as suddenly back again. It wasn’t that she was embarrassed spaeking of it with Granny or her mum, or even her dad, rather it was that she felt so flaught(14) when even to herself sometimes her behaviour was unreasonable. Her brothers were staying out of her way even more, and that maekt her feel guilty because she loved them. Oak just smiled and hugged her, he never discussed it other than to say, “You will become uest to it, and one day will be able to smile with fond memories of this time.”

So that left Gage who had never laught at her, was always kind and tenners since had asked her to go to the Quarterday Gather and dance with him. Since her body had started to fill out she had tended to wear loose and concealing clothes to cover her embarrassment, but she had decided since the matter was outside her control she would wear something attractive at the dance. Her patience after what Beth had telt her of incomer boys had finally borne fruit. Gage liekt looking at her. He had telt her he thought she was pretty and that he enjoyed looking at her. He had even admitted, without embarrassment, that he especially enjoyed looking at her breasts and her cotte, so she thought it was only fair to wear a gown that givn him something to enjoy looking at. It was only in the last two days she had admitted to herself she really liekt him looking at her and especially at her breasts and cotte. The gown she had eventually decided on, to her relief, had been fully approven by both her mum and Granny. It had a high yoke, but clung to her emergent bosom attractively. It was fashionably split at both sides and fell off her hips shewing her young woman’s figure to advantage. Shyly, she had asked her dad what he thought, “I’d say Gage has no chance at all of escape,” he replied kissing her to make sure she realised he approven. “Very fetching, Love. I must remember to ask you for a dance or your mother will consider I’m becoming too old to notice pretty women.”

By the day before Quarterday all the really important details had been settled: hair, accessories, shoes, everything. After the eve meal she nervously asked, “What time do I have to be back for?”

Faith telt her, “You father sayt he was going to tell you all of that.” Lilly looked at Oak somewhat mystified, especially as Granny and her mum were obviously trying to keep their faces straight.

Oak telt her, “It’s the first Quarterday since Jocelyn and Lætitia were birtht and your mum would like to dance. So, since Granny has invitet some friends to keep her company, drink ellberry wine and admire her granddaughters, and Gem is going sea fishing with Abel, Honesty’s boys and Firefox, the four of us are going to the dance.” She knew Jason was going to the dance. He didn’t exactly have a heartfriend yet, but he and three other boys and four girls were always to be found in each other’s company, and they were going to the dance together. The question of what time she had to be back for hadn’t yet been answered.

Faith seeing the expression on her face said, “Since your dad and I shall be there till the dance finishes you may come home with us. Mari and Ford are not going to the dance, and your dad is going to see them thiseve, and offer to see Gage home after the dance, or if they agree he can return with us and sleep in the little store chamber. We can make a bed in there.”

Lilly was overjoyed to the point of tears at that, and Jason robustly said, “Lilly, that’s excellent. What’s to cry for?” Lilly ran into her chamber crying even more. Faith looked at Jason who said, “You know I doetn’t mean to upset her, Mum. I bethinkt me she’d be glad to stop till the end of the dance. I know I am.”

“I know, Jason. She’ll learn to manage it eventually. We have to be patient.”

Jason’s heavy muscles and hale skin, both acquired as a result of his diligent pursuit of his craft, had changed him out of all recognition from the skinny waif with dirt embedded in his skin who had responded to Oak’s appearance, and much to his embarrassment he was now regarded as a desirable catch by most of the girls anywhere near his age. Too, his voice had changed from treble to bass in less than a lune, which gave him to say, “Am I glad I’m not a girl.”

Gem, who unlike Jason didn’t really understand the explanations given to him of Lilly’s erratic behaviour, said, “That’s lucky for you, for with those muscles you’d look really flaught swinging a hammer wearing a frock wouldn’t you?”

Oak intervened saying, “Never mind boys, why don’t you come with me, and let Granny and your mum have spaech with Lilly? We can go and see the boys, and find out where Abel’s going nextday, and the details of the food and aught else you need, Gem.” Even Gem knew Oak was offering a considered male retreat, and they gladly accepted the offer. They decided to walk the long way berount the Keep walkways, so just put on a warm coat and called on Peter and Honesty first. They were invited in, and Abel and the boys, including Firefox, appeared draped with assorted clothing and tackle they were areadying for nextday. Gem disappeared with the boys, and Oak asked Abel, “What are you going for, Abel?”

“We’ll start where the moat meets the Arder and finish offshore a little south of the Keep, so we’ll catch delta and probably ide, but the boys may be lucky and have a fight to brag of with a decent siezt redspot(15) or even a keld(16) or a nelt.(17) The early forenoon onshore wind will bring us back again in time for an early braekfast, and there will be folk berount to help take the catch to the kitchens. The boys will probably sleep most of the forenoon.” Remembering the excitement of sea-fishing as a boy, Oak smiled, and Abel left to supervise the boys.

Oak explained their mission to Honesty and Peter, and Honesty said a little indignantly, “You should have known I would feed Gem as well as mine.”

Peter coughed, and asked, “Lilly?”

Oak nodded, and the adults all understood the reason for their visit. Honesty relented and gently said, “Make sure Gem arrives here. I’ll feed them all.” She paused a second or so and continued “Better still, why doesn’t Gem stop with us thisnight too? Firefox is. It’s no bother to make another bed up. Dad has appropriate clothing and tackle to spare as well as life savers, and that will save a lot of bother nextday forenoon.”

Oak agreed, and called for Gem. Gem arrived to be telt, “I can’t imagine why, but Honesty and Peter have sayt they don’t mind having you thisnight too.”

Gem, not realising he was being teased, said with the transparency of a child, “I don’t see why not, it’s not as if I’m any trouble.” It was obvious he was implying unlike Firefox.

Peter said, “Never mind, Gem, your dad’s teasing you. You are welcome.”

Gem disappeared and they chatted of the dance nextday. Peter said they would be there for an hour or so. Honesty’s cousine’s daughters would be minding Bella and Yæna at their parent’s chambers with their mum, but Honesty didn’t wish to be away from Yæna long. Oak and Jason left Gem with his friends, and went on to Mari and Ford’s.

Oak explained what he had come for and Mari said, “I’m sure Gage would like to stop with you for the night, but let’s ask him. He’s in the work chamber cleaning metalwork.”

Ford went for Gage and telt him there was someone to see him. He followed Ford back and wondered what it was Lilly’s father had to say. He knew it couldn’t be aught unpleasant, or Jason wouldn’t have been there. When telt he could stop till the end of the dance and sleep in Oak’s spare chamber, he stammered out his gratitude happy he and Lilly didn’t have to leave the dance early. That it was a store chamber, and would have a somewhat makeshift bed maekt no difference at all to his happith. Gage stammered his gratitude again, and Oak, who had discussed the young pair with Ford and knew Gage’s parents approven as much as he and Faith, said, “Not at all. I can’t have my daughter’s young man wandering berount the Keep at all hours can I. We’ll see you nextday forenoon then.”

Gage, grateful beyond his belief to be acknowledged as Lilly’s young man by her father, for he had been concerned that he may not have been considered of sufficient status to be worthy of the daughter of a Councillor, stammered his gratitude yet again and said, “I have to clean the tack buckles before nextdaynigh which means thiseve if I wish to go to the Gather. So I’ll continue with them now.” He expressed gratitude to Oak again, and went back to his polishing, walking it seemed to him a foot above the floor.

Mari waited till she heard the workshop door close and smiled saying to Oak, “So Lilly’s my son’s young woman. They don’t stay young long do they?”

Oak agreed, and Ford asked Jason if he were going to the dance. “Yes, with a group of friends,” Jason replied, expecting to be quizzed regards girls.

Ford, who knew of Jason’s friendship group, merely said, much to Jason’s relief, “I hope you and your friends enjoy the eve, Jason.” Oak and Jason declined any hospitality and returned home to tell Faith of the arrangements for Gem.

Faith telt them, “Granny has goen to bed. Lilly has cryt herself out, and she’s somewhat more settelt now. She has goen to bed, but she’s awaiting you, Love, to learn what Mari and Ford sayt. Go to her now, Oak, and I’ll pour us a glass of wine. Would you like one, Jason?”

“Gratitude, but no, Mum. I’ll pour your wine, but I’ll have some fruit juice if there is any.”

Oak, on his way to see Lilly said, “Yes, I collectet some apple this forenoon.” Oak knocked on Lilly’s door and entered. Her eyes were still red, and she looked embarrassed. “Never mind, Love. We understand.”

Lilly sniffed and said, “I don’t like being unpleasant to the boys. I know they don’t deserve it, and I do love them, they’re my brothers.”

“The boys understand, Love. Even Gem knows you can’t help it, and it will improve. I keep reminding them they’re lucky not having to go through it. Now forget it. It’s all arrangt for Gage to sleep here nextnight. Gem is sleeping at Honesty’s thisnight too. So all you have to do nextday is enjoy yourself.”

Lilly smiled a weak smile and said, “Gratitude, Dad. I’m tiren. I’ll go to sleep now.”

Oak kissed her forehead and said, “Gage is a young man whom I regard highly, Love. Goodnight,” and went for his glass of wine.

Lilly, who not only loved her dad but considered him to be a wonderful dad, which opinion she based on what a lot of her peers telt her of their dads, felt happier than she had felt since her mum had dien.

Faith and Jason were having spaech with a glass in their hands, and when Oak returned Jason said, “Yours is on the side press, Dad, pointing to a glass.”

Oak nodded and to Faiths questioning look said, “She’s going to sleep now. She’s still a little upset she’s been so difficult with her brothers, but,” he said looking at Jason, “ she says she still loves you and Gem.”

Jason looked a little startled at that and said, “We never bethinkt us she doetn’t, Dad, honestly.”

“I know,” said Oak he then changed the subject to ask, “What are your plans for nextday, Jason?”

Jason happier to be spaeking of a safer subject replied, “We are all meeting to have lunch together in the Refectory. After lunch we bethinkt us we’d see what’s happening and what there is to do in the courtyard whilst it’s still not too calt. As soon as it becomes too calt or we wish to do something else we’ll go to the Greathall. There should be lots to do and see there, and we can always practice dancing there till dinner and the proper dance in the eve. We haven’t maekt up our minds whether to eat dinner in the Greathall or in the Refectory, it’ll depend on where our friends eat I suppose.”

Faith laught and said, “You have it all organiest then?”

Jason grinned and replied, “No, I taekt Dad’s advice.”

“And what was that, my elder son?” asked Faith in mock ominous tones.

Jason grinned again, and replied, “He telt me that when the womenfolk make a decision the sensible man just says, ‘Yes, Dear.’ I telt the boys what he sayt, and we all opient since the girls had already decidet what we were going to do it would be more saughtful(18) if we doet as we’d been telt.”

Faith and Oak both laught, and Jason said, “I’m off to bed too. Goodnight, Mum, Dad.”

“He’s growing up too,” said Faith. “Does he have a particular young woman in that group, or are they still making their minds up?”

Oak smiled and said, “Yes, he has a particular one it’s just it’s a different one every day or do I mean hour? Possibly Harmony is going to claim him, but it’s early days yet. They will probably form four couples eventually, but at the moment they’re just enjoying being a bit more than friends, and a bit less than heartfriends. They’re all giftet apprentice crafters with a bit of growing up to do, and Jason is in good company. They’re all focusst on their crafts rather than on personal relationships, and I suspect their friendship group is baest on mutual protection from pursuit by numerous less giftet others who are interestet in them whom they have no interest in. Though none have holdt hands yet, the girls usually link arms with one of the boys which affords them all a degree of protection from the attentions of others. At one time I bethinkt me Jason and Dittander may have been interestet in each other, and Harmony doesn’t like it that they craft together from time to time at the forge, but Dittander and he are close friends whose friendship is baest on their common craft interests and are clearly not interestet in each other in that way. I’ve only ever hearet them having spaech of aspects of machining, and it was she who persuadet Jason to attend the lessons that George’s intelligent apprentices attend.”

“How do you find all this out, Oak?”

“I listen to children,” was his reply. “Spaeking of which?”

“I changt and fedd them whilst you were out. Lilly helpt change them. I spake to her of forsickth, extra visits to the facility, crying for no reason, tiren feet, aching back, sore breasts and how the joy of the babes maekt it all worthwhile. I telt her she was making the first payment of many on a long trail to womanhood and motherhood. We spake whilst I nurst them, and that calmt her enough to come to terms with herself. For thisday any hap.” Faith smiled and said, “Let’s have some sleep. It’s going to be a long day nextday, and I wish to enjoy all of it.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00313010

HEARTFRIENDS

LILLY AND GAGE

15th of Minyet Day 313

Lilly helped Faith make the bed for Gage, and then spent the first part of the forenoon baking and having spaech with Granny in the kitchen. She had decided it would be best if she kept herself busy. She changed to go to the Gather before lunch. She dresst with considerably more care than Jason had done. He was quite happy to wear the same clothes all day, and then go to the dance in them. Lilly brushed her hair till it shone and dresst in warm clothing for the Gather. She was going to return home to change before the dinner in the Greathall with Faith. Faith planned on nursing Jocelyn and Lætitia then as they usually were nursed then and she didn’t wish to upset their routine. Gage arrived before lunch to take her to the Huntsman’s Commons where many of the huntsmen with their families and guests were lunching. She was ready and they left with instructions to enjoy themselfs. When they arrived they found a glass of fruit juice, and looked for Mari and Ford whom they were lunching with. Mari espied them first and waved at them to join the group she was in which included the tall and imposing Will the Master huntsman.

Will recognising Lilly, and aware of her relationship with Gage, which he approven of, said, “Goodday, Lilly, it’s good to have you join us.”

Lilly, flustered to have been recognised by one of the most important persons on Castle, said, “I am happy to be here. Gratitude, Will.”

The kitcheners started to ask folk to be seated for lunch, and Mari taekt Lilly with her to the table they were lunching at. Lilly was sitting between Gage and Ford. Ford had Mari on his other side. The lunch, as was normal for a celebration meal in the Huntsman’s Commons, featured several whole spit roasted large deer and an aurochs. The meat had been cooking since lastday forenoon and was superb. Lilly enjoyed her meal, and after lunch Gage shewed her the stables, kennels and mews. She hadn’t realised the scope of his craft, and just how many dogs, ferrets and birds he had a care to. He introduced her to Minxie, who she thought was a beautiful creature, if somewhat full of teeth.

They then decided to walk the Gather in the courtyard. When they left the kennels, which opened onto the courtyard, Gage tentatively held his hand out to Lilly, and she as tentatively put hers in it. They looked at each other, smiled, taekt a more positive grip on each other’s hands, and wandered berount the Gather. There was plenty to do and see, but most of their concentration was on the hand they were holding. It wouldn’t have mattered to them if there had been naught going on in the courtyard. They were holding hands in public for all to see, but most importantly for their peers to see. They both knew in the eyes of their peers they had now become a couple and were no longer available for any else. They were officially heartfriends. They had a wonderful afternoon, though neither had any idea later what they had done. All they had done was walk the Gather holding hands. Before the eve meal they parted temporarily as agreed. Gage to oversee the feeding of his charges, and Lilly to change into her dancing gown. Gage was going to call for her later. When Lilly returned home Granny was changing Jocelyn and Faith was nursing Lætitia.

“Goodday, Dear. Doet you have an enjoyable afternoon? You seemt to be enjoying yourself.

Flushing a little at being seen holding hands with Gage, though they had both done it to be seen doing it, she replied, “Yes, Mum, very enjoyable.”

Lilly smiled at Lætitia who managed to beam at her and continue nursing at the same time.

Faith said to Lilly, “Remember what I sayt to you lasteve. I had to return, my breasts were hurting they were so full.”

Lilly said quietly, “I’m sure things will be a bit better for me now, Mum.”

Ellen put Jocelyn back in her crib and said to Lilly seriously, “A good man always makes a woman’s life better. They make life more secure for a woman and her children. With a good man you feel more confident regards facing life when things go ill. That’s how you can tell if they’re any good.” She smiled and looking at Faith nursing continued, “In my day I was like Molly. I had to feed orphans, and even then had help from the midwifes to relieve excess milk, but, despite their loss, I’m glad to have had children.” She went silent, and Faith and Lilly knew she had gone back into her memories for a little while.

Lilly changed and waited for Gage, who was on time as always. Before leaving, she said, “I’ll see you later, Mum, Granny.” She walked to the dance holding hands with Gage, neither self-conscious this time. They dined with Jason and his group and some others of similar age including most of the squad, and they enjoyed the company of their peers. Because none had said aught regards drinking alcohol one way or the other they had all tried it, and most were quite happy to admit they preferred fruit juice, though Jason enjoyed a small brandy from time to time usually drinking with his dad, and Gage enjoyed brandy but usually only in the company of the squad. After dinner they continued to enjoy the company of the same group of youngsters, though they spent more time on the dance floor than chatting. They met Peter and Honesty on the dance floor where Oak danced with Lilly whilst Faith danced with Gage. They enjoyed themselfs enormously, and managed to steal a few hasty kisses without being seen. When the time came to go home, Oak, Faith, Lilly, Gage and Jason were ready to drop. They went home, and none was long out of bed, but it was a long time before Lilly and Gage finally slept. Lilly’s final thought before sleep taekt her was “Granny was right ‘A good man does make life better.’ ”

Gage’s final thoughts were fragmented and nowhere near as clear as Lilly’s: ‘I’m here. I have a good craft, respect and now Lilly too.’ He was dreamily considering the future and had blurred images of an older Gage, Lilly and their children: a family, which faded as he did into sleep.

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete
7 Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastair, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift
72 Gareth, Willow, Ivy, David, Kæna,Chive, Hyssop, Birch, Lucinda, Camomile, Meredith, Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, Murre, Iola, Milligan, Yarrow, Flagstaff, Swansdown, Tenor, Morgan, Yinjærik, Silvia, Harmaish, Billie, Jo, Stacey, Juniper
73 The Growers, The Reluctants, Miriam, Roger, Lauren, Dermot, Lindsay, Scott, Will, Chris, Plume, Stacey, Juniper
74 Warbler, Jed, Veronica, Campion, Mast, Lucinda, Cormorant, Camomile, Yellowstone
75 Katheen, Raymnd, Niall, Bluebe, Sophie, Hazel, Ivy, Shadow, Allison, Amber, Judith, Storm Alwydd, Matthew, Beatrix, Jackdaw, The Squad, Elders, Jennt, Bronze, Maeve, Wain, Monique, Piddock, Melissa, Roebuck, Aaron, Carley Jade, Zoë, Vikki, Bekka, Mint, Torrent
76 Gimlet, Leech, Gwendoline, Georgina, Quail. Birchbark, Hemlock, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Hannah, Aaron, Torrent, Zoë, Bekka, Vikki, Jade, Carley, Chough, Anvil, Clematis, Stonechat, Peace, Xanders, Gosellyn, Yew, Thomas, Campion, Will, Iris, Gareth
77 Zoë, Torrent, Chough, Stonechat, Veronica, Mast, Sledge, Cloudberry, Aconite, Cygnet, Smokt
78 Jed, Warbler, Luval, Glaze, Seriousth, Blackdyke, Happith, Camilla
79 Torrent, Zoë, Stonechat, Clematis, Aaron, Maeve, Gina, Bracken, Gosellyn, Paene, Veronica, Mast, Fracha, Squid, Silverherb
80 George/Gage, Niall, Alwydd, Marcy/Beth, Freddy/Bittern, Wayland, Chris, Manic/Glen, Guy, Liam, Jed, Fergal, Sharky
81 The Squad, Manic/Glen, Jackdaw, Beatrix, Freddy/Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Wayland, Jade, Stonechat, Beauty, Mast, Veronica, Raven, Tyelt, Fid
82 Gimlet, Leech, Scentleaf, Ramsom, Grouse, Aspen, Stonechat, Bekka, Carley, Vikki, Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Jed, Warbler, Spearmint, Alwydd, Billie, Diver, Seal, Whitethorn
83 Alastair, Carrom, Céline, Quickthorn, Coral, Morgelle, Fritillary, Bistort, Walnut, Tarragon, Edrydd, Octopus, Sweetbean, Shrike, Zoë, Torrent, Aaron, Vinnek, Zephyr, Eleanor, Woad, George/Gage, The Squad, Ingot, Yellowstone, Phthalen, Will
84 Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Alsike, Campion, Siskin, Gosellyn, Yew, Rowan, Thomas, Will, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Tuyere
85 Jo, Knott, Sallow, Margæt, Irena, Tabby, Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Stonechat, Spearmint, Alwydd, Seriousth, Warbler, Jed, Brett, Russel, Barleycorn, Crossbill, Lizo, Hendrix, Monkshood, Eyrie, Whelk, Gove, Gilla, Faarl, Eyebright, Alma, axx, Allan, daisy, Suki, Tull
86 Cherville, Nightshade, Rowan, Milligan, Wayland, Beth, Liam, Chris, Gage
87 Reedmace, Ganger, Jodie, Blade, Frœp, Mica, Eddique, Njacek, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Serin, Cherville, Nightshade, peregrine, Eleanor, Woad, Buzzard, Silas, Oak, Wolf, Kathleen, Reef, Raymond, Sophie, Niall, Bluebell
88 Cloud, Sven, Claudia, Stoat, Thomas, Aaron, Nigel, Yew, Milligan, Gareth, Campion, Will, Basil, Gosellyn, Vinnek, Plume
89 Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Silverherb, Cloudberry, Smokt, Skylark, Beatrix, Beth, Amethyst, Mint, Wayland, Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Joan, Bræth, Nell, Milligan, Iola, Ashdell, Alice, Molly, Rill, Briar
90 Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Beth, Beatrix, Sanderling, Falcon, Gosellyn, Gage, Will, Fiona, Jackdaw, Wayland, Merle, Cynthia, Jed, Warbler
91 Morgelle, Tuyere, Fritillary, Bistort, Jed, Otday, The Squad, Turner, Gudrun, Ptarmigan, Swegn, Campion, Otis, Asphodel, Jana, Treen, Xeffer, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, Beatrix, Jackdaw
92 Turner, Otday, Mackerel, Eorl, Betony, The Council, Will, Yew, Basil, Gerald, Oier, Patrick, Happith, Angélique, Kroïn, Mako
93 Beth, Greensward, Beatrix, Odo, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Otday, Turner, Gace, Rachael, Groundsel, Irena, Warbler, Jed, Mayblossom, Mazun, Will, The Squad
94 Bistort, Honey, Morgelle, Basil, Willow, Happith, Mako, Kroïn, Diana, Coaltit, Gær, Lavinia, Joseph (son), Ruby, Deepwater, Gudrun, Vinnek, Tuyere, Otday, Turner
95 Turner, Otday, Waverly, Jed, Tarse, Zoë, Zephyr, Agrimony, Torrent, Columbine, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, The Council, Gage, Lilly
96 Faith, Oak, Lilly, Fran, Suki, Dyker, Verbena, Jenny, Bronze, Quietth, Alwydd, Evan, Gage, Will, Woad, Bluebell, Niall, Sophie, Wayland, Kathleen, Raymond, Bling, Bittern
97 Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Margæt, Tabby, Larov, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Brmling, Tench, Knawel, Loosestrife, Agrimony, Jana, Will, Gale, Linden, Thomas, Guelder, Jodie, Peach, Peregrine, Reedmace, Ganger, The Council, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Ellen, Gem, Beth, Geän
98 Turner, Otday, Anbar, Bernice, Silverherb, Havern, Annalen
99 Kæna, Chive, Ivy, David, Birch, Suki, Hyssop, Whitebeam, Jodie, Ganger, Reedmace, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Catherine, Braid, Maidenhair, Snowberry, Snipe, Lærie, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Ælfgyfu, Jennet, Cattail, Guy, Vikki, Buckwheat, Eddique, Annabelle, Fenda, Wheatear, Bram, Coolmint, Carley, Dunlin
100 Burdock, Bekka, Bram, Wheatear, Cranberry, Edrian, Gareth, George, Georgina, Quail, Birchbark, Hemlock, Bramling, Tench, Knawel, Turner, Otday, Ruby, Deepwater, Barleycorn, Russel, Gareth, Plantain, Gibb, Lizo, Thomas, Mere, Marten, Hendrix, Cuckoo, Campion, Gage, Lilly, Faith
101 Theresa, Therese, Zylanna, Zylenna, Cwm, Ivy, David, Greenshank, Buzzard, Zeeëend, Zrina, Zlovan, Torrent, Alastair, Céline, Meld, Frogbit, Midnight, Wildcat, Posy, Coral, Dandelion, Thomas, Lizo, Council
102 Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Gosellyn, Neil, Maple, Mouse, Ember, Goose, Blackcap, Suede, Gareth, Robert, Madder, Eider, Campion, Crossbill, Barleycorn, George, Céline, Midnight, Alastair, Pamela, Mullein, Swager, Margæt, Sturgeon, Elliot, Jake, Paris, Rosebay, Sheridan, Gælle, Maybells, Emmer, Beauty, Patricia, Chestnut, Irena, Moor
103 Steve, Limpet, Vlæna, Qorice, Crossbow, Dayflower, Flagon, Gareth, Næna, Stargazer, Willow, Box, Jude, Nathan, Ryland, Eller, Wæn, Stert, Truedawn, Martin, Campion, Raspberry
104 Coolmint, Valerian, Vikki, Hawfinch, Corncrake, Speedwell, Cobb, Bill, Gary, Chalk, Norman, Hoopoe, Firkin, Gareth, Plover, Willow, Dewberry, Terry, Squill, Campion, Tracker, Oak, Vinnek,
105 Council, Thomas, Pilot, Vinnek, Dale, Luca, Almond, Macus, Skua, Cranesbill, Willow, Campion, Georgina, Osprey, Peter, Hotsprings, Fyre, Jimbo, Saxifrage, Toby, Bruana, Shirley, Kirsty, Noah, Frost, Gareth, Turner, Otday, Eorl, Axle, Ester, Spile, David, Betony
106 Jodie, Sunshine, Ganger, Peach, Spikenard, Scallop, Hobby, Pennyroyal, Smile, Otday, Turner, Janet, Astrid, Thistle, Shelagh, Silas, Basalt, Suki, Robert, Madder, Steve, Bekka, Cowslip, Swansdown, Susan, Aqualegia, Kingfisher, Carley, Syke, Margæt, Garnet, Catkin, Caltforce, Council, Thomas, Briar, Yew, Sagon, Joseph, Gareth, Gosellyn, Campion, Will, Qvuine, Aaron, Siskin, Jasmine, Tusk, Lilac, Ash, Beech, Rebecca, Fescue
107 Helen, Duncan, Irena, Scent, Silk, Loosestrife, Tench, Knawel, Bramling, Grebe, Madder, Robert, Otter, Luval, Honey, Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Amethyst, Janet, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Fiona, Blackdyke, Bittern, George, Axel, Oak, Terry, Wolf, Vinnek, Dittander, Squill, Harmony, Jason, Lyre, Iola, Heron, Yew, Milligan, Alice, Crook, Eudes, Abigail, Gibb, Melanie, Storm, Annabelle, Eddique, Fenda, Lars, Reedmace, Jodie, Aaron, Nigel, Thomas Will
108 Aldeia, Coast, Chris, Wayland, Liam, Gage, Fiona, Fergal, Beth, Greensward, Jackdaw, Warbler, Jed, Guy, Bittern, Spearmint, Alwydd, Storm, Judith, Heidi, Iola, Heron, Beatrix, Harle, Parsley, Fledgeling, Letta, Cockle, Puffin, Adela, Gibb, Coaltit, Dabchick, Morris, Lucimer, Sharky, Rampion, Siskin, Weir, Alsike, Milligan, Gosellyn, Wolf, Campion, Gareth, Aaron, Nigel, Geoffrey, Will, Roebuck, Yew
109 George, Lyre, Iola, Milligan, Gibb, Adela, Wels, Francis, Weir, Cliff, Siward, Glæt, Judith, Madder, Briar, Axel, Molly, Coaltit, Dabchick, Bluesher, Qvuine, Spoonbill, Ashridge, Morris
110 Nectar, Cattail, Molly, Floatleaf, Timothy, Guy, Judith, Briar, Axel, Storm, Beatrix, Iola, Coaltit, Siward, Cockle, Gibb, Lune, Manchette, Gellica, Dabchick, Morris, Sycamore, Eudes, Fulbert, Abigail, Milligan, Ashridge
111 Iola, Turner, Otday, Alwydd, Will, Dabchick, Sgœnne, Coriander, Saught, Ingot, Molly, Vivienne, Michelle, Nancy, Fledgeling, Letta, Milligan, Spoonbill, Knawel, Beaver, Cnut, Godwin, Ilsa, Holdfast, Jeanne, Tara, Lanfranc, Furrier, Joseph, Crag, Adela, Jason, Judith, Gem, Wolf, Storm, Terry, Axel, George, Oak, Coaltit, Posy, Gage, Bluesher, Nigel, Heron, Aaron, Orchid, Morris, Russell, Thomas, Eudes, Ashridge, Polecat, Redstart, Herleva, Fletcher, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Lilac, Elaine, Kaya, Fulbert, Buzzard, Raymond, Firefly, Roebuck, Francis, Cliff, Odo, Alice, Grangon
112 Council, Bruana, Iola, Kirsty, Glen, Shirley, Wormwood, Noah, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Judith, Milligan, Campion, Gibb, Morris, Polecat, Ilsa, Glæt, Braun, Turbot, Voë, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Sledge, Cloudberry, Smockt, Burgloss, Hubert, Skylark, Srossa, Cygnet, Uri, Cnara, Sexday, Luuk, Slew, Quinnea, Roach, Vosgælle, Siward, Adela, Bluesher, Olga, Amæ, Helen, Odo, Wels, Camomile, Fulbert, Ashridge, Swaille, Gren, Spoonbill, Alwydd, Puffin, Chub, Gage, Ivy, Sippet, Orcharder, Knapps, Eudes, Fledgeling, Cnut, Letta, Nightjar, Greensward, Saught, Carver, Wlnoth, Flagstaff, Coaltit, Thresher, Parsley, Harle, Coriander
113 Aaron, Glæt, Braum, Sandpiper, Ellflower, Abigail, Nigel, Morris, Iola, Ivana, Zena, Trefoil, Comfrey, Scorp, Milligan, Ashridge, Polecat, Gibb, Basil, Knapps, Sagon, Pleasance, Posy, Woad, Will, Gage, Strath, Eric, Ophæn, Coriander, Vivienne, Michelle, Camilla, Odo, Siward, Swaille, Fulbert, Adela, Coaltit, Dabchick, Eudes, Harle, Matthew, Grangon, Hayrake, David, Gellica, Biteweed, Heron, Qvuine, Hjötron, Fledgeling, Parsley, Spoonbill, Greensward, Bluesher, Beatrix, Roebuck, Sagon, Letta, Carver, Wlnoth, Beaver, Saught, Swegn
114 Iola, Dabchick, Gage, Fulbert, Eudes, Coaltit, Burnet, Adela, Sippet, Milligan, Spoonbill, Coriander, Fennel, Knapps, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Smockt, Wheatear, Cloudberry, Sanderling, Scree, Eve, Sledge, Hubert,Irena, Suki, Burgloss, Harle, Polecat, Gibb, Gordon, Douglas, Lunelight,Lovage, Francis, Pleasance, Siward, Grangon, Qvuine, Ashridge, Abigail, Alice, Emma, Embrace, Basil, Aaron, Nigel, Hville, Heron, Bluesher, Musk, Michelle, Joseph, Ivy, Bruana, Noah, Ianto
115 Council, Basil, Iola, Ilsa, Crag, Sgœnne, Waternut, Joseph, Ivy, Dabchick, Milligan, Roebuck, Polecat, George, Yew, Will, Gage, Raspberry, Lisette, Bruana, Ianto, Noah, Evan, Yanto, Jocelyn, Lætitia, Faith, Kæn, Janice, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Wolf, Irena, Mica, Quartz, Peregrine, Ellen, Ousel, Abel, Honesty, Rose, Suki, Veronica, Chris, Mast, Vinnek, Alan, Jane, Beatrix, Jackdaw, Nancy, Douglas, Euan, Coriander, Yæna, Gosellyn, Peter, Bella, Anne, Joa, Joanna, Harrion, Beth, Otter, Luval, Bittern, Wayland, Tansy, Craig, Jonathan, Rhame, Moil, Blush, Alfalfa, Puffin, Briar, Bay, Storm, Hobby, Gibb, Judith, Bjarni, Mhairi, Kbion, Nigel, Bluesher, Spoonbill, Grangon, Kell, Deal, Wryneck, Weir, Musk, Joseph, Knapps, Deepwater, Gordon, Ashridge, Yanwaite, bluebean, Alice, Alfgar, Matthew, Heidi, Rampion, Heron, Siskin

116 Fiona, Fergal, Nightingale, Margæt, Milligan, Polecat, Tinder, Beatrix, Whitethorn, Irena, Lilly, Isabel, Beth, Warbler, Gage, Cicely, Will, Bruana, Coaltit, Gibb, Ianto, Noah, Iola, Morris, Joseph, Dabchick, Kirsty, Shirley, Ivana, Judith, Posy, Wolf, Oak, Jason, George, Gem, Firefox, Mangel, Mace, Millet, Faith, Yew, Hazel, Rowan, Siskin, Basil, Hobby, Thomas, Nightlights, Alkanet, Ferdinand, Eudes, Fulbert, Ashridge, Abigail, Briar, Almond, Crake, Storm, Barret, Alec, Harris, Brock, Bruin, Graill, Joanna, Alice, Alfgar, Fiddil, Orcharder, Melanie, Adela, Spoonbill, Betony, Michelle, Ellen, Jocelyn, Lætitia, Abel, Mari, Ford, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Yæna, Harmony, Dittander, Molly

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Cousine, female cousin.
Doet, did. Pronounced dote.
Doetn’t, didn’t. Pronounced dough + ent.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Grandparents. In Folk like in many Earth languages there are words for either grandmother and grandfather like granddad, gran, granny. There are also words that are specific to maternal and paternal grandparents. Those are as follows. Maternal grand mother – granddam. Paternal grandmother – grandma. Maternal grandfather – grandfa. Paternal grandfather – grandda.
Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
Intendet, fiancée or fiancé.
Knoewn, knew.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Loes, lost.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Seeën, saw.
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.

1 Lunetime, menstuation.
2 Forsickth, contraction of forenoon sickth, morning sickness.
3 Lærer, adult apprentice, trainee.
4 Saught, peace or reconciliation.
5 Whiteleaf, a cabbage with a pale almost white centre but dark green outer leafs. Cultivars of Brassica oleracea.
6 Peint, peined.
7 Gean, wild cherry, Prunus avium.
8 Lærership, adult apprenticeship, training.
9 Starchroots, floury potatoes. Waxy potatoes are referred to as waxroots, though the distinction is neither absolute nor always adhered to. Solanum tuberosum.
10 Winteroot, swede, Swedish turnips or rutabaga. Originally winter root.
11 Tellin, a small tasty, often pink coloured, marine bivalve. Limecola balthica. In a tellin is equivalent to in a nutshell.
12 Weäl, well being. Weälth, that which provides or creates weäl.
13 Cotte, Folk word for a female bottom, male is cot. Both words are respectable and uest by all. Both derive from apricot which like buttocks have a defined cleft. The default is the feminine, like most but not all Folk words. Cotte would be uest for example for a babe of unspecified sex.
14 Flaught, silly, foolish.
15 Redspot, plaice, Pleuronectes platessa.
16 Keld, a seafish somewhat like the cod, Gadus morhua.
17 Nelt, a flatfish that can grow to five or six feet long and wide. It is similar to turbot, Scophthalmus maximus.
18 Saughtful, peaceful.

up
15 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos