It’s an Obsession Not a Fetish

Printer-friendly version

My old man likes marmalade. No, I suppose I’d better come clean, my old man has an obsession about marmalade. He has a whole vocabulary to describe it which I’d better not go into here, but its key properties for him are bite and snigs. Bite I suppose is obvious, he likes his marmalade bitter and sharp enough to wake him up at breakfast after an evening spent discussing the merits and demerits of various samples of malt whisky with others, whose opinions he has great respect for, which of course had to be sampled several times.

~o~O~o~

However, snigs are not as simple as they appear. I know to the uninitiated they are just pieces of peel, however, to the aficionado, there’s not just size to consider there is the aspect ratio, at one extreme square chunks, and at the other long, wafer thin shreds. Then there’re also thickness, firmness, the nature of the fruit they originated from and a whole range of other attributes, of far too arcane a nature for mere mortals like myself, which all have to be taken into consideration to produce an acceptable product.

~o~O~o~

I remember a Sunday afternoon a long time ago. Like many other couples, we were picnicking on the bank of a river well known for its salmon and its lovers. I had absorbed its history, and I felt that the ambiance of a sunny Sunday afternoon there meant that my chances of being able to encourage him to propose marriage were looking distinctly promising. We had eaten our sandwiches and pork pies and were finishing our lunch with clementines. I was about to throw my peel away, after all it was biodegradable, when his distress started to unravel him at the seams.

~o~O~o~

I was informed that all commercially made marmalades were bite-less and under-snigged and the only way to correct this deficiency was to make one’s own. This involved saving all citrus peel till sufficient had been accumulated to make a batch that was adequately bitter and snigged. I calmed the poor dear down, and with a little encouragement and a fair amount of intimacy he did propose. Men are much more fragile than most of us realise, and you only truly see them at their best when you treat them gently. Just don’t do it in front of their friends!

~o~O~o~

I have since spent forty years managing bags of frozen peel and assorted citrus fruits on a three year cycle of marmalade making. I own and run a garden centre for a living where amongst other things I raise several hundred varieties of fruiting citrus, including a dozen or so varieties of the bizarre but fragrant Buddha’s Hand which not only gives our tea shop an exotic appeal, no pun intended, but its name too.

~o~O~o~

I suppose learning more about citrus fruit and marmalade making than is readily available on the internet is an easier way to maintain a good marriage than what some of my friends have had to go through, but I have to add I hate the stuff.

up
55 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

ROFL

I don't like the stuff either but I do like Marmite so I guess I am rather an odd person.
I also loathe with a vengance Cucumbers, Corgettes and all other members of that cursed veg family. Ugh! Nasty! Foul! Waste of Space! etc etc

Yours
Grumpy old thing.

Marmite &c.

Marmite I can take in small doses despite being a foreigner. Vegemite not a chance. Most cucurbits are 99% ? water, so I suspect you're not missing much. Haggis, however I really enjoy and I do know it is a small wild Scottish animal that has legs on one side longer than on the other side so it can run round hills more easily. The females have longer left legs, the males longer right legs, and crofters make a fortune escorting tourist round in the mating season. Now there's a wonderful idea for a story: the plight of the trans haggis. Pure science fiction / fantasy at it's best! If one can't laugh at oneself then life is much harder than it needs to be.
Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen

Somewhere

erin's picture

I have a recipe for haggis, written by a Norwegian chef. It says in the instructions that it will feed 8 Scotsmen or 192 Norwegians. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Haggis

That sounds about right, Erin, perhaps a bit of an exageration. More like four Glaswegians or four hundred Norwegians. Haggis is traditionally served wi' basht tatties and neeps. Mashed potatoes and turnips. You'd probably call neeps or turnips by the names swedes or rutabaga. I do like it but can only eat a little bit. It's very filling.

I'm told by my local butcher, who probably has haggis smuggled south over the border, it's the oats. His are the genuine article made in Scotland. Haggis sausages are fast food round here sold in every takeaway.

I live on the Solway plain and if I look out of my front room window I can see Criffel a 1000 foot sumit over the other side of the Solway estuary (Scotland). If I look out of my back sitting room window I can see Skidaw a similar sumit in the north lake district of England.

This is border reiver country. The reivers were wild lawless clans who preyed on each other, and anybody else. Of course in their eyes they were the law. There is a huge bronze statue of a reiver in not very authentic costume just north of Carlisle. Carlisle is a city in England, for the moment, but over the years the border has moved back and forth. Folk are proud of their lawless history here abouts, and of the statue too, but on Friday and Saturday nights the reivers are back out on the streets.

Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen

Don't forget the extras

The Black Bun and the wee Dram as a chaser to the Haggis, neeps and tatties.
MacSweens Haggis from Edinburgh was the best I've ever tasted. Lots of Oats, pepper and spices. Yummy.

Sadly, a lot of Haggis is tastless as is a lot of Breakfast Sausage.

The Borders are a beautiful part of the country. Far too many people just whizz by on the A1/A68/A74(M) when a small detour would reveal some wonderful hidden treasures. One of those is Hermitage Castle.

Samantha

Tasteless Haggis

The absolute worst I've come across was at the cafeteria in H&H aution Carlisle. Made as a 2 inch round and slices cut off. I remarked on it to the server and she agreed! It quite took the shine off my day out with my friend who went to by some Indian Runner ducks. She had the black pudding instead and said it was quite good.

Funnily enough there used to be a butcher in Carlisle indoor mart who sold the best I've ever tasted. I can't recall who made them but it was a Glasgow company. Alas the stall has been taken over by someone who sells a Dumfries offering which whilst good are not of the same quality.

Eolwaen