Castle The Series - 0092 Turner, Otday, Will, Basil

Printer-friendly version

A Word Usage Key is at the end. Some commonly used words are there whether used in this chapter or not. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood of the n is replaced by a d or ed. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically with a footnote number. If you have suggestions I would be pleased to consider implementing them.

The brackets after a character e.g. CLAIRE (4 nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.) There is a list of chapters and their significant characters at the bottom too.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00033010

YOU ARE, AS OF NOW, MINE

TURNER OTDAY

1st of Darrow Day 33

Turner had spent most of the night and all of the forenoon indulging herself with her share of a half gallon bottle of sixty hundredths plum brandy and sex. She enjoyed her brandy strong and her sex rough and it had been good brandy and even better sex. It always was with Swegn who, though he wasn’t quite as fulfilled by the pain pleasure boundary as she, enjoyed her in the same way she enjoyed him. The changed ones needed the effects of sex, both the substances their bodies maekt as a result of stimulation and the substances they absorbed from their partners, which need oft maekt Turner’s life difficult. However, all like her, regardless of sex, were highly sensitive to sex pheromones, were stimulated by ethanol(1) and their metabolism was such as to be able to enjoy strong drink in almost limitless quantities. She felt refreshed and invigorated and not in the least tired, as she always did when her softth(2) was quiescently replete and not nagging her to seek satisfaction, but she was hungry. Her fastidiousth over her feminine hygiene had always surprised her because her craft gave her few opportunities to feel scrupulously clean. However, thisday she’d bathed after her last bout with Swegn prior to eating her lunch and she was feeling as at peace with life as she ever did.

She was on her way to eat lunch when she was hailed by Mackerel. “Turner, I’ve had that wheel of yours replaced with one I rebuilt last lune because I don’t have the time to repair yours before you need to leave. I’ve had spaech with Glow and Chubb to ascertain if they could repair it, but both are equally busy. The spoke following the braekt one is crackt and their felloe is bruist and needs replacing. Luckily they are in the same felloe, or possibly two would need replacing. Though I suspect the hub to be undamaged, till I have the spokes out it will be impossible to say whether it needs attention or not, so I don’t know the cost yet. How doet it happen? It’s not like you to do something like that.”

“I don’t know, Mackerel. I was tiren and doetn’t see what damaged it, for the wheel was in two feet of mud at the time. Possibly a rock, but I suspect a tree root for the waggon springen(3) forward as it came free. Gratitude for your prompt attention. It’s a relief to know I can leave on time.”

Mackerel nodded and said, “A thick tree root in deep mud could have damagt your wheel thusly. Your front wheel probably finisht cutting a root through that had been damagt by other waggons. If your waggon had turned into the root its end would have catcht twixt the spokes of your rear wheel. It was just ill chance. Do you wish to keep the rebuilt wheel on your waggon, and I’ll rebuild and sell your old one? You could of course have the old one put back, but there will be little difference, if any, in cost, and I see no virtue in you having ownership of a spare, but’s your choice.”

“Leave the wheels as they are, Mackerel, rebuild the wheel I braekt, sell it and deal with the balance via my account with Sagon. Check the other three too if you would and grease them all.”

“We would any hap, Turner. The apprentices have already seen to it and all is well. I was telt your next trip is via the Long Valley. We have want of some elm for hubs and the foresters have some blanks ready for collection at Gentle View. Are you interestet?”

“Yes, but it will be a couple of lunes before I am back here to deliver.”

“Even after rough turning, they’ll need a year or so to dry ere they are ready for final turning and use, so that won’t be a bother to us. They will dry as well there or on your waggon as here.”

“How many blanks do you wish?”

“Several waggon loads over the next few lunes. We’re stocking ready for the winter’s crafting, so deliver what you can whenever you can, and we’d appreciate it if you maekt the other waggoners aware of the blanks too.”

“I’ll tell all I meet on the trail. Some will be grateful to add to their loads even if they only collect a few or even only bring them part way back to the Keep. You should have all available here before winter closes the trails.”

Turner and Mackerel parted on the best of terms both happy with their crafting exchange.

The soup was thin and tasteless, Cockerel and Clansaver (4)indeed! More like Floor Sweepings and Dish Clout Rinsings.(5) Why? Turner pondered, did she ever bother with soup when she knew most would be disgusting? It couldn’t be that difficult to make tasty soup, surely? She pushed the soup bowl aside noting scores of others doing the same. Intrigued by a yellow pile on half a toasted seedyt(6) bannock she discovered was called Scrambelt Egg on Granary Toast, a newfolk innovation, she tried it with a sprinkling of the suggested chopped gargeern(7) leaf and was pleasantly surprised. There was still some of the red sour snow pie(8) left from the eve before which with a mug of leaf left her replete enough to face Otday’s parents.

Turner knocked, and the door was instantly opened by a nervous looking Otday. “Well come, Mistress Turner. Mum and Dad are in the other chamber awaiting you.”

Otday shewed her the way. Betony tried to spaek, but braekt down, and Eorl held his hands palms up indicating complete helplessth with the situation. Turner, who knew Eorl well and liked him, felt for the couple who by all accounts were good parents, and she was aware their daughter was regarded as a well reared asset to the Folk. “This is difficult for you I appreciate. Let me have spaech first, and it may become easier. I have had the situation explaint to me by Campion of the Master at arms office. I’ll summarise my understanding. Correct me when I err. Otday, as a result of his own behaviour and words, has put himself in the position of being a legitimate target under the Way for his cousine’s heartfriend, Jed, and his brothers. If Otday is not removt from the Keep betimes Jed will kill him, and Jed can and will. Even if Jed or one of his syskonen does not kill him, Otday’s persecution of his cousine, who has always telt him it was not well come, has forcen her to say she intends to seek sanctuary from him. The consequences of that are a slow trail to deadth. You will your son to be apprenticet to a waggoner to remove him from danger and acquire a craft that will give him a chance of survival as a man in the future, and I am the first available waggoner.”

Eorl said, “Yes that is it in a tellin.”(9)

“I am prepaert to take Otday, but not without explicit explanation of how hard his life is going to be. I maekt him aware lasteve his life would change permanently. He knows this conversation is mongst the adults and if he interrupts I shall hurt him. I have telt him I can do this, and from the look on his face he has hearet something of me. I tell you now, no matter what he has in his hands, I am able to kill him in fewer than a handful of heartbeats and if he challenges an order of mine I will do it. If he does not follow my every order immediately he is belike to be left for Castle to claim. Waggoning is too dangerous and difficult a matter to involve flaught,(10) froward children thinking they may do as they will. If you sign the standard waggoner instrument of apprenticeship, which was prepaert years over not by any waggoner but by the Master at arms office and approven by the Council of the day, your son becomes my property, and there are no escapes from that other than Mastery or deadth. If you sign it I shall care not what Otday bethinks him of it, for he will leave the Keep on my waggon lasht down as load or dragt behind on a rope if need be.

“There is only one end for a frowart(11) on the trail: deadth, and because of the way folk like Otday have trett me in the past I’m sure you understand I have no care one way or the other whether he survives or no. His survival is a matter of his behaviour under the rules of the trail, which are no harsher for him than for any other apprentice, or indeed for any Mistress or Master Waggoner, for waggoning can be brutal and unforgiving of mistakes. It behoves him to master the rules and practices necessary for survival. It is not for me to coddle his understanding. However, there is a problem. The vegetables I delivert lastday were delivert over trails a foot deep in heavy mud, belly deep on the team in places. My team is exhaustet as am I. We do not leave till the forenoon of the sixth at firstlight. My next trip takes the Long Valley descent, and I will not braek faith with my customers for the sake of a flaught frowart who does not know how to behave. Too, I will not take a tiren or a strange team down the Long Valley trail.

“Campion is asking Will, who with Gale has some influence with the Squad, to see if either of them can persuade Jed and his syskonen, and that includes his sister, Beth, whose skill with a blade commands Leech’s respect and who has sayt she has no love of any boy who has threatt(12) a girl least of all one of her sisters, not to use your son for ferret food. I have no idea how successful Will or Gale will be, so Otday has to stay alive till firstlight on the sixth in order to apprentice with me. After that, as the instrument of apprenticeship requires, I shall protect him from all except Castle and myself. I shall only return to the Keep for a day in every lune and a half or even every two and a half, and I shall keep Otday from the Keep till we return for the winter by which time this situation should have calmt and Otday will either have some notion of proper behaviour, or he will be dead. Is that acceptable?”

Betony and Eorl looked at each other and silently hugged. It was awful, but it was the best they could do. Betony put her hand out for the piece of paper that would take her son away. What was normally a proud moment for crafter, apprentice and parents, as the child taekt the first step into adulthood was naught but grief and potential deadth. Betony and Eorl both signed their son away and returned the record to Turner who briefly looked at it and said to Otday, “You are as of now mine. I’ll collect you, my property, at ten minutes before firstlight on the sixth from here. Be ready, or I shall hurt you.” Turner nodded to his parents and left.

Otday went to his chamber and slammed the deadbolts home. He was going to live in his chamber till he left. His parents had telt him they would escort him to and from the facility as necessary and bring food to his chamber, but none had realised it would be for five days.

Eorl and Betony felt bereft and both blamed themself, but deep down they knew they had done every thing they could have done. Otday was on his own now in the adult world that, despite their exhortations for years, he hadn’t even begun to prepare himself for.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00033020

WILL DELIVERS

COUNCIL MEETING

1st of Darrow Day 33

The Council was back to discussing the normal events of Castle. There was considerable discussion of the vital but very expensive water supply repairs which were finally coming to an end.

Thomas summarised the situation concerning the incursion, “As far as the incursion is concernt all, except Patrick and Gerald who have no personal placement, and the twenty-nine men craftet out to ships, mines and forests, now have both craft and personal placements, and I do not wish to take up any more time on that.”

Alsike indicated she wished to spaek, and was acknowledged by Gareth. “Though officially members of the growers’ craft, neither Patrick nor Gerald have doen any crafting as growers nor at any other craft and they are now dismissively contemptuous of us. My recommendation is they are left for Castle to take care of, and as their craft Mistress, they are my responsibility. I shall so make the arrangements. Unless of course the Council wishes to make adjudgement?”

There was a minute or so of silence as all thought through their options. Eventually in his habitually dour tones Basil said, “If Will be prepaert to have some of his office escort them to my personal craft chamber I am willing to make it clear to them they are now members of one of my gangs of firekeepers. I have a number of gangs wherein if they become difficult they shall be rendert coöperative. I shall explain that to them and also that unless they find something else to craft at, and then do so, their alternative is to be expelt for Castle to take care of.” Basil was still expressionless.

Will and many of the Council grinned and then braekt out in laughter at that. Basil was dour, but he was not entirely without a sense of humour, though it did tend to be bleak as now. The two men would be under the orders of someone of impaired intellect. Many of Basil’s firekeepers whilst not bright were very strong, and because they wished to please and be thought of as good crafters they followed his requests to the letter. If Basil askt them to make sure the new gang member did his share of the work they would do just that, for Basil like Aaron had no trouble relating to them, and they liekt him.

Alsike, with tears of laughter rolling off her cheeks, wiped her eyes with the backs of her hands and said, “I shall leave the matter in the hands of you and your gangers then, Basil,” before having to wipe her eyes again.

Will grinned and said, “I shall meet you at ten nextday in your personal craft chamber, Basil, to discuss the arrangements.”

“On a more pleasant matter,” Gosellyn said, “Lucinda appears to be healing rapidly and regularly goes to dancing practice. At first she only goent with her sisters, but now she will go on her own and oft takes her younger brother with her. She has no difficulty concerning boys and like her syskonen is friends with Siskin’s children and regularly dances with Glevoë. Campion and I are convincet she will eventually make a full recovery.” Campion nodded in agreement and a murmur of satisfaction went berount the chamber.

Weir added, “She eats with us oft, and our children are spending a lot of time with her and her syskonen. It is a satisfactory extension of our kith.”

Wolf started his report by saying, “Eleanor and Woad who are working on producing gas for heating and lighting have demonstratet a small scale trial. There are many crafters now interestet in the project, for the lights are so bright you can barely look at them though they are fragile. It is too early to say much but it looks promising.” Wolf and Vinnek looked at each other and Wolf resumed, “At last we have enough of the reaper-binders completet for us to be able to understand what has yet to be doen and how the new tools George is making will help. We still have problems aplenty to overcome, but they will be ready for the harvest, and I suspect one reaper-binder will do the work of fifty scythe crafters.”

There were smiles of disbelief at that, but Vinnek added, “At least fifty.”

Thomas, obviously aware of what Wolf and Vinnek had just claimed, resumed thoughtfully, “No doubt folk will wish to see that claim justifyt, but let us take it for the moment as a significant improvement without putting numbers to it to argue of. Yew and I should like to discuss the potential new mill on the other side of the Arder because it could be built faster and with less effort and cost under the supervision of Judith Mistress millwright. The land to the north and north-east of Dockside we’re telt is ideal for grain growing, and it occurs to us with more efficient harvesting and a new mill over there it makes sense for new holdings to be establisht there which would be close to Dockside. The new mill as an idea has been spaken of for a few years, but we believe your growers, Alsike, should evaluate the land first.”

There was general agreement with that, and Will, clearly party to Thomas’ and Yew’s deliberations, added, “My office has always huntet over there. It’s one of the places where we hunt mammoth. There is plentiful game of all descriptions farther north. According to huntsmen’s records, the original jetty at Dockside was built to bring the meat back quickly. One or two hunters and trackers who live at Dockside have considert basing themselfs some whilth(13) north of the river. Mixt craft holdings over there could probably provide a good living for all the crafters involvt.”

Alsike had been making notes and said, “I suspect we have all been guilty of not looking into the possibilities over there. I’ll see it is doen, and then we can make decisions with some information rather than conjectures.”

Alfalfa said, “The animals we are not sure as to the identity of are not recogniest by any of the newfolk. They are very gentle animals, and the orphans being raist by the children follow them berount like puppies. They seem to only breed with their own kind and are refert to at the moment as new beasts. The rams and billies will not serve the new beast females ready for breeding, and so far the new beast males have not servt any of the ewes or nannies ready for breeding. It is difficult to discuss them as we do not have proper names yet for the species, males, females or young. They like hay, yet are just as happy to browse rough scrub and graze poor pasture. They are settling down and the dairy crafters are obtaining a small milk yield from the lactating females. They are using the milk for the full range of products with a view to finding out what it is best uest for. The shearers are planning on shearing some with the goats to see what that produces. I consider we should try some, along with sheep and goats, north of the river on any rough pasture that needs clearing prior to being put under the plough.”

There was general agreement as to the sense of following Alfalfa’s proposal, and Alsike remarked, “I shall ask my crafters to bear your suggestion in mind as it may make the difference between land being tenable or marginal.”

Gosellyn added, “The situation regarding the fevers has not changt. We are still awaiting.”

After Thomas indicated she was to speak, Campion announced, “On a more unpleasant matter, the matter of Otday has improven somewhat. Turner has agreen to take him to apprentice. It offers a better chance of survival than he has at the Keep. She will have had spaech with his parents after lunch this day. I know not yet the outcome of that, but she sayt lasteve that Otday would not be given any options. She opines he has already had too many choices and if his parents will Otday to go with her then go he will. ‘Tien to my waggon as load or dragt behind screaming on a rope if need be’ was how she descriebt it. She will demand instant obedience and if it is not forthcoming she will hurt him. If he becomes too difficult she’ll kill him or leave him for Castle to reclaim, for she feels no obligation to one who is of the same mindset as those who maekt her life a misery from her birth till she left the Keep for life with Havern on their waggon.

“Lest any disagree with her terms, she is aware she is Otday’s only chance and is quite happy to leave him at the Keep to die as a result of his flaughtth. She has an intimate knowledge of the Way and knows none may deny Jed and his syskonen their right to retribution and their obligation to protect Warbler, and is aware the squad are more than capable of effecting aught they can conceive of. She also addet that in addition to making a crafter of him she may make a man of him. She believes a good reward encourages good behaviour and addet it works with horses every time. She sayt it was especially effective with stallions. She also sayt she was looking forward to finding out just how good a stallion she had taken to apprentice.” Like many waggoners, Turner bestowed and enjoyed her favours where it suited her, and if her well known extreme tastes lightened Otday’s life a little during what was likely to be a dark period of his life that could only be of benefit, but it taekt a few minutes for the laughter to subside.

“The only problem is both she and her team were exhaustet leading in that last load of greens in appalling weather over even worse trails. She can’t leave till her team is restet which will be on the sixth. She won’t braek faith with her contracts, and her next trip takes in The Long Valley descent which she absolutely refuses to do with a tiren or strange team.” There were noises of approval berount the chamber concerning Turner’s integrity and sense. “However, it is considert unbelike the squad will leave Otday alive that long. The only persons who can possibly influence them to stay their hands a few days are their parents and Will and Gale. Mari opient, with Ford’s complete agreement, Otday’s throat should be cut forthwith and then the problem would be solvt, and moreover she was quite prepaert to cut it herself. Judith with Storm’s agreement sayt since Warbler’s sister, Spearmint, was her son Alwydd’s heartfriend she was entirely in agreement with Jed’s position. She also sayt she’d just come from a world where those who behavt unreasonably maekt life a misery for those who knoewn how to behave and opient Castle would be a better place for her to rear her children without the like of Otday.

Kathleen and Raymond sayt that they considert it unreasonable to expect them to do aught gainst their son’s siblings in the squad, and reiteratet Judith’s views on those of unreasonable behaviour. Raymond addet that belike Otday would make good compost. As I expectet, Beatrix and Jackdaw refuest to intervene on behalf of one who has threatt one of their sons and his heartfriend, who Jackdaw remindet me was now one of his daughters too. Jackdaw was prepaert to kill Otday out of hand and Beatrix sayt she’d do it too, but she’d take her time over doing it. I considert it pointless to ask Warbler’s parent’s to intervene, for their influence on Jed and his syskonen in the matter would belike be nil even should they agree to try, so I askt Will to see what he or Gale could do. Will?”

“I doubtet that either of us could do aught, but after having had spaech with Gale regards the matter I goent to the kennels with a bottle of brandy she adviest me to take, and the squad and I enjoyt a drink together.” The Council were shaking their heads at Gale’s and Will’s behaviour, but it was true, other than their parents, only Gale and he had any influence with the squad, and unusual handling techniques were required for their unusual personalities. “After we had finisht a quarter of a gallon of Joseph’s sixty hundredths blackthorn, which by the bye I expect to be reimburst for, Wayland askt, ‘What do you wish, Will?’ I telt them that Otday would be leaving with Turner in a few days, and I would consider it a personal favour unconnectet with the office if he were still breathing and they doetn’t feed him to the ferrets whilst times. I was taken aback by their reaction. They couldn’t stop laughing, and the tears were running off their faces. The only one with a straight face was Beth. Jed adviest me not to make enquiries, for he sayt I wouldn’t like what I would discover, and it would belike put me in a difficult place.

“He sayt they were systematically terrorising Otday to make sure he left the Keep, for he had sayt he doetn’t wish to go, but he had decidet Otday should to ensure Wabler’s safety. For the now, Otday is safe but in pain and terror. That was all I could get out of them, and the price was total silence till Otday leaves, or they will feed him to the ferrets. So this has to stay with the Council, not even Eorl and Betony may be telt, for Otday justifyably dies if it becomes public knowledge. Jed sayt, ‘His apologies notwithstanding, I will him not to have any opportunity to make good his proclaimt intent to hurt Warbler, so he either leaves on a waggon or he dies. The moment he believes he is safe here he dies, Will.’ The entire squad were clearly in agreement with his view. So all Eorl and Betony may be telt is Jed and his syskonen have agreen to stay their hands as long as Otday is gone within a tenner. Agreen?”

The Councillors, unwilling to commit Otday, who was still a child, to deadth, all agreed, but some initially wondered if the price of the Squad sometimes exceeded its benefits, though all eventually realised that was the same as wondering if the price of the Way sometimes exceeded its benefits, and all knew that to be ridiculous and perverse. Yew closed the meeting quickly to allow as little time for discussion as possible and to allow himself a private chat with Will to find out what Will had not admitted to, for he knew there would be much. After a few minutes to allow the chamber to empty, with just the two of them there, he askt, “What’s the far end of it, Will? Those boys wouldn’t care of being in a difficult place themselfs, and I’m sure they know you wouldn’t either. There’s more to tell I know.”

Will grinned and said, “They telt me all, and I was going to tell you, Yew, but it’s not a tale for tender ears, and that includes most of the Council, especially Thomas.” Will telt an increasingly amazed and amused Yew the entire tale, for Jed and his siblings had spared him no detail, including Beth’s part and reactions. “Yew, despite the way she appears, I opine that little girl is the hardest one of the entire squad, and mercy knows what she be prepaert to do to any who hurt one of her brothers. Leech considers her to be so good with a blade he’s teaching her how to improve her throwing and killing skills, and you know he doesn’t bother with any other than those he considers to be of an innate ability of his own level. Guy, one of her brothers, has had Francis make some special threwing knifes to his design with from three to six points for her and her brothers to hunt coney with which I’ve telt Linden the office will pay for. The knifes spin as they fly, and Beth’s already skillt in their use after just days. I opine she’s good enough to kill a man with one and he’d never be aware aught of deadth was coming. May hap of more import, mercy knows what those brothers of hers would do to any who threatt her. It is certain had Otday threatt her not Warbler he’d have been dead before braekfast after the dance. The vext question is how long would it have taken him to die. But the far end of it is Otday can regard himself lucky that Jed allowt him to live.”

When Will had finished his tale, including telling of Gale’s delight at Jed’s actions, Yew, so scarcely able to contain his laughter he was nearly incoherent, eventually spluttered, “Jed cutt his males sac(14) open! And then sewn him up again just to make him aflait enough to leave! And then pourt pure spirits over all! That would make any, even one with extreme courage, aflait enough to leave. Doubtless you can’t tell me how long it took Gale to stop laughing when she hearet the tale, for I imagine she hasn’t stopt yet. I opine you’re right Will, Jed and the squad may be brutal in their dealings, but Jed chose not to kill which would have been the easy solution and the state of terror they’re keeping Otday in till he leaves is actually clemency. Warbler is a clever little girl to have chosen a heartfriend so tightly and to be able to look to an agreän like Jed. You know what Will? We need to have Siskin closer to Gale. Those boys and their sister are just too important to the Folk, the Way and Castle not to be available to whoever has to take the really difficult decisions. That they don’t do their thinking with the knifes in their hands spaeks well of them, very well, and they are all naturally tight moutht. What bethink you?”

Will didn’t hesitate before he said,“I can’t say I’d considert it, but you’re right, Yew. You have spaech with Siskin and Weir, and I’ll have spaech with Gale. Tell your dad too. But leave all till Otday’s goen from the Keep with Turner.” Yew nodded in agreement, for there were some secrets that were worth a fortune, but only if they remained with the right persons till the right time.

Yew expected that to be the end of the conversation, but Will said, even more abruptly than was his wont, “Gale wills Gage to be her successor and started training him half a tenner since without saying aught of the matter to him. I am in agreement. How bethink you of it?”

“Will, I’ve trustet you and had your complete support for far too long to start doubting your judgement now. You and Thomas are as much Lord as I, for which Rowan and I are ever grateful, but he’s over young, so how will your office accept it?”

“Gale has had spaech with all our senior folk of it who have all agreen he has the makings, for he’s ruthless, hard and sees things his own way, oft solving problems by ways none else would imagine. He looks all in the face and tells his own truth and cares not what any make of it. He is highly regardet by all he deals with and has the complete confidence of his squad, who all regard him as their natural leader, and he heeds all their advice, especially that of Wayland, who Aaron tells me will be a man of powers beyond the normal and a Councillor betimes, probably long before he reaches twenty. Despite what many consider, Gage is highly intelligent and has calculatet the ages and birthdates of all in the squad using the Castle calendar from their birthdates and the Earth date for them on their incursion. He explaint to me how he had uest information in the records comparing our hours with Earth hours to do it, but it maekt my head hurt. He also has the unpredictable quality requiert of a Master huntsman, and possibly for that alone my entire office will be happy regards Gale’s choice, as am I, but I ask again what of you, Yew, and what of Siskin?”

“Will, I am greatly pleast that your office has its future so well mapt, and I’m sure Siskin would the rest of our major offices were so well placet regards their futures. I am sure Milligan will have naught but envy for your good fortune, so rest easy, for you and Gale shall have my and Siskin’s support. I’ll have spaech with her of it.” Will nodded uneasily, but in acceptance asked, “Apricot or Peach, Yew?”

“Peach please. Councillor Wayland? No doubt Aaron and Nigel are delighted by that. It beseems quaire(15) does it not that Aaron sought for so long for a successor, and then he discovert two in a lune, both from the incursion.”

“Aye. What I find so difficult to understand is whence they come is clearly a living nightmare and it produces some of the nastiest scum one could ever meet, and yet also some amazingly decent folk of incredible talent, despite the damage their society has inflictet upon them. How they retain their decency in the face of such oppression is beyond me.”

“Just be grateful, Will, that Castle reclaims the scum and we benefit from the plumb. Peach again?”

“Aye. Please.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00033030

I’M POSSIBLY PREGNANT, BETH

I DON’T WANT THE OTHERS TO KNOW YET

1st of Darrow Day 33

“Beth, I could do with your help for a couple of hours, if you dont’t mind.”

“As long as I can go to the seamstresses to pick up some new undies, Mum.”

“Yes that’s ok. I want help looking through receipt books with instructions for baby clothes so I can get a head start on Fiona before she has her first. I’m not too good at knitting, but I’m not bad at sewing if I’ve got a pattern to work from. We’ll ask at the seamstresses too.”

The boys left, and, as Beatrix and Beth were washing dishes, Beatrix said, “I didn’t tell any lies, Love, but the truth is I’m possibly pregnant. I want books with explanations of love making when pregnant and how to make baby clothes too. I suspect I’m in front of Fiona.” Beatrix telt Beth of her conversation with Jackdaw the night before. “I promised your dad I’d see the healers and midwives today. I want to talk to a male midwife called Otter, and I’d like you there. I don’t want the boys to know till I’ve missed another period, so if I do start to be ill in the mornings I want you to cover for me. Ok?”

Beth smiled and asked, “If you are pregnant, Mum, how do you feel regards it?”

“I don’t honestly know because I’d given up on the idea years ago. Your dad is pleased. He hasn’t said so because he’s afraid of upsetting me, but I can tell, so I suppose I’m pleased too. How do you feel regarding it?”

“As long as your fine with it, Mum, I love the idea. The boys will to. They’re all waiting for Fergal to tell them he’s going to be dad. So what’s first?”

“The healers and midwives, then we’ll go for books then the seamstresses.”

Otter was exactly the sort of person Beatrix wanted as a midwife, blunt and optimistic. “I doubt you’ll have the easiest time of it, Beatrix, but there’s no reason to suppose you’ll not have a successful birthing. Unless you have any problems or worries there’s no reason to see me till thisday next lune. You may wish to have spaech concerning nursing and care to your breasts, but the expert is Molly, not one of us. She’s been continuously in milk since the age of fiveteen, twenty-seven years over.”

As they left, Beatrix said to Beth, “That went ok didn’t it? At least that’ll get your dad off my back. For a while.”

Beatrix chuckled, and Beth said, “Mum, you have a dirty mind, and that’s too much information.”

“I know, but fun all the same, and probably necessary if I get to be big. Some women become nymphomaniacs when pregnant. I’ve read they actually need more sex, it’s a hormonal thing that doesn’t happen to many. Still I can hope, but in the meanwhile we’re looking for anything that explains about love making when big with pregnancy, and don’t forget the baby clothes.”

They found what they were looking for, not all in one book, but in three. The one Beth discovered was nearly three hundred years old, and at the front it said it was a copy of a copy. It not only had descriptions in but sketches too of a woman with a hugely distended abdomen and a not very well endowed man. The explanations concerned both factors and said she had enjoyed love making just a few hours short of going in to labour. “What do you think to this one, Mum?” Beth asked.

“Good girl, Beth. That’s exactly what I’m looking for, though I won’t have the issues with your dad this poor woman had with her husband. Your dad’s quite a big boy really.”

“Mum! Please.”

“Give over, Beth. It’s the sort of thing women talk about. Get used to it. I know you’re only a girl now, but give it time. I can’t be doing with mealy mouthed women. It takes sex to make babies, and we were all babies once, so we may as well discuss it, and enjoy it too, and there’s nothing that’s so precious that in the right circumstances it can’t be laught at. You’ll become a woman, and be just as bad as the rest of us. You got anything on baby clothes?”

“Not really. Have you?”

“Mostly knitting and crochet, but that’ll do. We’ll ask when we pick your undies up. Can you knit, Love?”

“Yeah, I’m not bad, but I haven’t done enough to get any speed. I actually enjoy it. I’ll try some of those patterns in that book. I’ve never tried to crochet.”

They collected Beth’s new underwear and some baby clothes for Beatrix to copy, modify and base her ideas on. By the time they’d finished it was time to eat. They ate in the refectory and parted afterwards to go to the kennels and the kitchens. On her way to the kennels Beth was reflecting on her morning. She hoped her mum was pregnant, and had been surprised her dad had worked it out for himself. Regards her mum’s bluntth concerning sex she came to the conclusion her mum was right to be so open, and in that regard she was more like the Folk than herself and her brothers, even Gage.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00034010

NO CHOICE

PATRICK, GERALD AND THE FIREKEEPERS

2nd of Darrow Day 34

Will and Basil met as agreed at ten. “I suggest you see them separately, Basil, for that way they won’t feel they have any support.”

Basil nodded and said, “I’ll have their gangers here for them to meet. It may take me some time to explain to them what we wish, Will.”

“We’ve the time to take, Basil, as long as you deal with your gangers. I’m not good with them. Just do it however you wish. I’ll have a squad here looking intimidating to make sure those two realise the situation. Who are you going to place them with?”

“I lookt at the notes and I considert Gerald may be happy in Oier’s gang.” Will nearly choked with laughter at that. Oier was in his early thirties, seven feet and two and a half spans tall, and as strong as a plough horse. As a younger man when a bull charged him in stead of running for the paddock fence he had punched the animal on the nose and knocked it senseless. Oier was a devoted husband and father and devoid of original thought. At home his wife did his thinking for him, and Basil did it for him when he was crafting. “And I considert Patrick would be happy in Happith’s gang.”

“Happith? Happith isn’t a big man, Basil, and I don’t believe he has ever even considert hurting any or aught in his life.” Will was puzzled at Basil’s choice.

“I know,” at that Basil’s habitual dourth left him and his bottom lip twitched at the corner, “but Kroïn and Mako are in his gang.”

That did make Will grin. Happith like Oier was a ganger and an intellectual giant compared with Kroïn and Mako, both of who, though neither quite as big nor as strong as Oier, were heavily built men, over seven feet tall and they followed Basil’s instructions to the letter because their wifes telt them to.

“I believe that should solve our problems, Basil. Who do wish to see first?”

“Gerald. I’ll send for Oier, if you’ll send for your squad.”

The two men had the appropriate messages sent and Will’s squad arrived first. Oier had been unwilling to leave till he had finished what he was doing which Basil had expected, because he knew Oier would be worried he would forget what he was doing.

“I doubt you are going to have to do aught,” Will explained to the squad, “but I will you to look intimidating. If any smiles I’ll have her mucking out the stables for a tenner.”

The squad now understanding what was expected of them nodded, and Angélique asked, “May I smile now, Cousin, in advance?” They all smiled at that and waited for Oier to arrive.

“Goodforenoon, Oier,” Basil bad him. “There is no need to worry. I wisht you to come and see me because I need your help.”

“I’ll help you, Basil,” Oier said. “You know that.”

“Gratitude, Oier, I doet know, but it would not have been polite of me not to ask. I wish you have a man naemt Gerald in your gang.” Basil waited for Oier.

“I have three in my gang already, Basil, and me makes four. Gerald would make five and some gangs need help more than we do.”

“I know, Oier, but Gerald is not doing any crafting with the growers, and he has to do his share doesn’t he?”

“All has to do his share, Basil! That’s only fair isn’t it?”

“Yes. That’s only fair. You are the ganger in your gang. You have to make sure all in the gang does his share. Yes?”

“Of course, Basil, but we all do,” Oier said, clearly anxious that Basil should believe him.

“I’m know you do, Oier, but Gerald may not wish to. He may wish the others to do his share, and I wish you to make sure Gerald does his share. Do you understand, Oier?”

“Yes, Basil, if he doesn’t craft I have to make him.” Again Oier looked anxious, “Is that what you mean, Basil?”

“Yes. That is exactly what I mean. You have to make him do his share, Oier. Now Will is going to have Gerald bringen here and I shall tell him you will make him do his share, and then you can take him back with you to start crafting in your gang. Doet you understand all of that, Oier, or would you like me to explain again?”

“I understand. Gerald comes here. You tell him he is in my gang. We go back to the Greathall, and I make him craft. Is that all, Basil?”

“Yes, that is all. Will you remember all that, Oier?”

“Yes. I understand it all now, Basil.”

“Good.” Basil nodded to Will who had some of the squad go to bring Gerald.

Gerald must have objected because two of the tallest squad members had their arms through his and his feet weren’t touching the floor when he arrived.

“You are here because you are doing no crafting, and you either craft, or we put you out to die.” Will paused to see if Gerald had aught to say, but he just glared and looked sullen. “Since you have not arrangt your crafting, we have doen it for you. You are now a member of Basil’s firekeepers, and Oier here is your ganger. I suggest you listen to what Basil has to say.”

Basil started by introducing Oier, “Oier is the ganger, that means he is in charge and gives the orders. He will follow my instructions closely. I have telt him he has to make sure you do your share, and he understands if you don’t he has to make you. Let us be perfectly clear, Gerald, if he kills you none cares because he will only do so if you do not do your share. That being the case we should prefer you dead. Oier has charge of the fires in the Greathall. That means your craft is bringing wood and seaburn from the fuel stores, removing the ashes to the growers ash store and keeping the fires going. Oier will tell you what to do. I suggest you do as he says.” Basil turned to Oier and said, “Oier, if Gerald does not do his share, I wish you to make him. Will and I do not mind if you hit him. If you hit him so hard he dies it doesn’t matter. Do you understand, Oier?”

“Yes. If he is a bad man I hit him. If he dies I won’t be in trouble. Is that what you mean, Basil?”

Gerald had only just realised Oier’s limitations, and he was appalled this giant of a moron had just been telt he could kill him with impunity.

“Yes that is exactly what I mean, Oier. You won’t be in trouble if you kill him.”

Will looked at Oier and said, “Gratitude, Oier, You are helping me too. Now, Gerald, go with Oier, and I too suggest you do what he tells you.”

Basil added, “Take Gerald with you, Oier, please.”

Oier turned to Gerald and said, “We are bringing seaburn from the store thisday. Come with me.” Gerald looked at the expressionless tough looking squad, pitiless Will and dour looking Basil helplessly. Oier said again, “Come with me,” and grabbed him by the arm before pushing him through the door.

“May we smile again now, Cousin Will?” Angélique asked again as the squad and Will braekt into laughter.

“Mug of leaf before we go through all that again?” Basil asked. Will and the squad nodded and Basil sent out for the leaf. When they had finished their leaf, Basil said reflectively, “I’ll ask Happith to bring Kroïn and Mako with him.”

Will nodded and said, “Good idea, Basil.”

Happith, Kroïn and Mako duly arrived, and Basil had to spend a couple of minutes reassuring them they were not in any trouble and their work had been excellent. Only when they had settled did he tell Happith he needed their help. Happith was brighter than Oier and understood much faster.

“He’s not doing his share, Basil‽” Happith asked incredulously.

“He’s not only not doing his share, Happith, he hasn’t doen any crafting at all since he arrivt.”

Kroïn maekt a remark, but his spaech was poor, and only Happith and Mako understood him, “That’s right, Kroïn, he needs to be maekt to do his share,” Happith telt him. Mako nodded, Mako rarely spake because his spaech was poorer than Kroïn’s, and it embarrassed him when folk asked him to repeat himself when he had already tried his hardest to be understood. “You said you you wisht our help, Basil. Of course we’ll help, but I don’t know how we can help.” Kroïn and Mako nodded vigorously to make Basil realise they agreed with Happith.

“That is easy, Happith, you take Patrick in your gang and make sure Kroïn and Mako make him do his share. I’m not asking you to do aught unfair, but he has to be maekt to do his share. Can you make sure Kroïn and Mako understand that for me?”

“Yes, Basil. Right now? You wish me to explain to them now?”

“Yes please, Happith. You may take as long as you need. Don’t hurry, just make sure they understand.”

Happith turned to his gang members, and the three of them had spaech for nearly ten minutes. It was only Happith’s spaech Will and Basil could understand, and he kept repeating himself saying the same things over and over again, but in slightly different ways. “They understand now, Basil, but they wish to know what to do if he won’t do his share.”

Kroïn and Mako were both nodding vigorously at that, and looking at Kroïn Basil said, “Hit him, if he won’t do his share, Kroïn. Do you understand, Kroïn? Hit him if he won’t do his share, Kroïn.”

Kroïn nodded and spake to Happith who said, “Kroïn, understands, Basil.”

Basil then said exactly the same to Mako, “Hit him, if he won’t do his share, Mako. Do you understand, Mako? Hit him if he won’t do his share, Mako.”
Mako nodded and spake to Happith who said, “Mako, understands too, Basil.”

“Happith, make them understand even if they hit him so hard he dies it doesn’t matter. If he doesn’t do his share Yew and Will and Thomas and I wish him dead. If Kroïn or Mako doesn’t kill him Will will kill him. Do you understand, Happith.”

“Yes, Basil. If he doesn’t do his share he has to be dead. It doesn’t matter how.”

That’s right, Happith. Will you tell Kroïn and Mako now please. There is no hurry, just make sure they understand.”

“Yes, Basil.” Again there was a conversation mongst the three firekeepers, and again the others only understood Happith’s words. Again he was saying the same things over and over again slightly differently. It was a shorter conversation than before, and at the end of it Happith said, “They understand, Basil. They both agree that is fair. He has to do his share or be dead. They don’t wish to kill him, but they don’t mind if it helps you.” Kroïn and Mako were nodding their heads vigorously in agreement.

Will said to Basil dryly, “But only as a favour to you, Basil.”

“Stop it, Will. I don’t wish them confuest.”

“Mercy no! You carry on, Basil. Do you wish me to have Patrick bringen(16) here now? Or do you need more time?”

“Now if you would please.”

Patrick was brought to the chamber by some of Angélique’s squad and when he saw Will and Basil he demanded, “I want to know why I have been brought here with the threat of force when I have done nothing to warrant it?”

“I have three responses to that,” Will replied, “First, you have been bringen here because Basil wisht to see you and askt me to ensure you came. I ordert a squad to bring you. My office enforces the Way, and if I wish you somewhere you have no choice but to comply, or it shall be enforcen. Second, I decide what warrants what here, not you, and third, you have answert your own question. It is because you have doen naught you are here. You are doing no crafting, and you either craft, or we put you out to die. You are a parasite, and that we will not tolerate.” Will near enough said what he had said to Gerald, “Since you have maekt no arrangements to craft we have doen it for you. Whether you like it or no, you are now a member of Happith’s squad of firekeepers which makes you one of Basil’s chamberers. Basil is your craft Master, so I suggest you listen to what he has to say to you.”

Basil started by introducing Happith, “Happith is the ganger, that means he is your ganger, and he gives you your orders.

Patrick was taken aback at the absurdity of the notion he was going to take orders from someone with Down syndrome, and interrupted to say with a contemptuous look at Happith, “That is ridiculous. The man has learning difficulties, I am not going to take orders from the likes of him.”

Basil who was protective of his staff, and like all the Folk taekt especial care of those who could not do so for themselfs, almost snarled at him as he said, “Happith is a highly regardet ganger and a respectet man of the Folk who with Kroïn and Mako is contributing to the comfort and weäl of us all. He is also a giftet musician who provides much pleasure to the Folk. You, on the other hand are, as Will has already telt you, a parasite contributing naught and leeching off the rest of us. I suggest you close your mouth, and don’t insult any of my staff again, or I shall kill you with the first implement I come across whether sharp or no. Your previous craft, what ever it was, is of no value to us, and like yourself at the moment it is worthless here. As I telt you, Happith is your ganger, he will follow my instructions closely. I have telt him he has to make sure you do your share, and he understands if you don’t he has to ask Kroïn and Mako here to make you. They have been telt and they understand, if they kill you none cares because if they don’t, Will will kill you.

“They have telt me they don’t particularly wish to, but since I wish you dead if you don’t do your share they will kill you for me because I have askt them for help. Happith and his gang, and that includes you now, make sure many of the chambers in this part of the Keep are keept stockt with wood and seaburn(17) and the ashes removt to the growers’ and waggoners’ ash stores. Happith will tell you what he wishes you to do, and I shall ask him regularly whether you are doing it or no. If you are not we shall take you back to the incursion site, after of course recovering any clothing you have had off us, and leave you to Castle. I shouldn’t insult any of them if I were you because they are not uest to it. Folk treat them kindly and with consideration, so if you do not they will conclude you do not matter because you are not Folk, and they already know they will not be in any trouble for killing you.” Basil turned to Happith and said, “Happith, if Patrick is unkind to any of you, or says unkind things, Will and I do not mind if you or Kroïn or Mako kill him. Do you understand, Happith.”

“Yes. If he is unkind we have to kill him. If we kill him none cares, Basil.”

Will spake again, “Patrick, you craft for Happith, or you find another craft, or you die. Those are your choices, and after the way you reactet to Happith I should prefer the third.”

Basil asked Happith, “Please take your gang back to what ever we interruptet you from doing, Happith, and I shall have spaech with you nextday concerning Patrick. You have my gratitude for your help. Mako, my gratitude too, and my gratitude to you too, Kroïn.”

Patrick was too taken aback by events to say anything.

Happith turned to Patrick and said, “We are collecting ashes first, so we need to go to the Keep stores to give you an apron to keep your clothes clean.”

Mako and Kroïn stood each side of Patrick and Mako pointed to the door. Kroïn gave him a gentle push and they left.

“Angélique, Emma wills to invite you and Michael for dinner sometime, so have spaech with her to arrange it would you? And she would like you to bring the children too, so you have no need to find any to mind them.”

“That will be pleasant. If you see her before I, give her my gratitude and our love, Cousin.”

Basil expressed his gratitude to Will, Angélique and her squad, and the squad left. “You believe they’ll coöperate, Basil?” Will asked.

“One way or another, Will. They’ll craft or they’ll die. Either way it’s a satisfactory solution isn’t it?”

“Yes. Keep me informt, and if you need a squad any time let me or Gale know.”

The two busy men parted neither of them thinking of the two newfolk any more because they didn’t care and they had things of more import to do.

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete
7 Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastaire, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift
72 Gareth, Willow, Ivy, David, Kæna,Chive, Hyssop, Birch, Lucinda, Camomile, Meredith, Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, Murre, Iola, Milligan, Yarrow, Flagstaff, Swansdown, Tenor, Morgan, Yinjærik, Silvia, Harmaish, Billie, Jo, Stacey, Juniper
73 The Growers, The Reluctants, Miriam, Roger, Lauren, Dermot, Lindsay, Scott, Will, Chris, Plume, Stacey, Juniper
74 Warbler, Jed, Veronica, Campion, Mast, Lucinda, Cormorant, Camomile, Yellowstone
75 Katheen, Raymnd, Niall, Bluebe, Sophie, Hazel, Ivy, Shadow, Allison, Amber, Judith, Storm Alwydd, Matthew, Beatrix, Jackdaw, The Squad, Elders, Jennt, Bronze, Maeve, Wain, Monique, Piddock, Melissa, Roebuck, Aaron, Carley Jade, Zoë, Vikki, Bekka, Mint, Torrent
76 Gimlet, Leech,Gwendoline, Georgina, Quail. Birchbark, Hemlock, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Hannah, Aaron, Torrent, Zoë, Bekka, Vikki, Jade, Carley, Chough, Anvil, Clematis, Stonechat, Peace, Xanders, Gosellyn, Yew, Thomas, Campion, Will, Iris, Gareth
77 Zoë, Torrent, Chough, Stonechat, Veronica, Mast, Sledge, Cloudberry, Aconite, Cygnet, Smokt
78 Jed, Warbler, Luval, Glaze, Seriousth, Blackdyke, Happith, Camilla
79 Torrent, Zoë, Stonechat, Clematis, Aaron, Maeve, Gina, Bracken, Gosellyn, Paene, Veronica, Mast, Fracha, Squid, Silverherb
80 George/Gage, Niall, Alwydd, Marcy/Beth, Freddy/Bittern, Wayland, Chris, Manic/Glen, Guy, Liam, Jed, Fergal, Sharky
81 The Squad, Manic/Glen, Jackdaw, Beatrix, Freddy/Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Wayland, Jade, Stonechat, Beauty, Mast, Veronica, Raven, Tyelt, Fid
82 Gimlet, Leech, Scentleaf, Ramson, Grouse, Aspen, Stonechat, Bekka, Carley, Vikki, Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Jed, Warbler, Spearmint, Alwydd, Billie, Diver, Seal, Whitethorn
83 Alastair, Carrom, Céline, Quickthorn, Corral, Morgelle, Fritillary, Bistort, Walnut, Tarragon, Edrydd, Octopus, Sweetbean, Shrike, Zoë, Torrent, Aaron, Vinnek, Zephyr, Eleanor, Woad, George/Gage, The Squad, Ingot, Yellowstone, Phthalen, Will
84 Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Alsike, Campion, Siskin, Gosellyn, Yew, Rowan, Thomas, Will, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Tuyere
85 Jo, Knott, Sallow, Margæt, Irena, Tabby, Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Stonechat, Spearmint, Alwydd, Seriousth, Warbler, Jed, Brett, Russel, Barleycorn, Crossbill, Lizo, Hendrix, Monkshood, Eyrie, Whelk, Gove, Gilla, Faarl, Eyebright, Alma, axx, Allan, daisy, Suki, Tull
86 Cherville, Nightshade, Rowan, Milligan, Wayland, Beth, Liam, Chris, Gage
87 Reedmace, Ganger, Jodie, Blade, Frœp, Mica, Eddique, Njacek, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Serin, Cherville, Nightshade, peregrine, Eleanor, Woad, Buzzard, Silas, Oak, Wolf, Kathleen, Reef, Raymond, Sophie, Niall, Bluebell
88 Cloud, Sven, Claudia, Stoat, Thomas, Aaron, Nigel, Yew, Milligan, Gareth, Campion, Will, Basil, Gosellyn, Vinnek, Plume
89 Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Silverherb, Cloudberry, Smokt, Skylark, Beatrix, Beth, Amethyst, Mint, Wayland, Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Joan, Bræth, Nell, Milligan, Iola, Ashdell, Alice, Molly, Rill, Briar
90 Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Beth, Beatrix, Sanderling, Falcon, Gosellyn, Gage, Will, Fiona, Jackdaw, Wayland, Merle, Cynthia, Jed, Warbler
91 Morgelle, Tuyere, Fritillary, Bistort, Jed, Otday, The Squad, Turner, Gudrun, Ptarmigan, Swegn, Campion, Otis, Asphodel, Jana, Treen, Xeffer, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, Beatrix, Jackdaw

92 Turner, Otday, Mackerel, Eorl, Betony, The Council, Will, Yew, Basil, Gerald, Oier, Patrick, Happith, Angélique, Kroïn, Mako

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Cousine, female cousin.
Doet, did. Pronounced dote.
Doetn’t, didn’t. Pronounced dough + ent.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Grandparents. In Folk like in many Earth languages there are words for either grandmother and grandfather like granddad, gran, granny. There are also words that are specific to maternal and paternal grandparents. Those are as follows. Maternal grand mother – granddam. Paternal grandmother – grandma. Maternal grandfather – grandfa. Paternal grandfather – grandda.
Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
Intendet, fiancée or fiancé.
Knoewn, knew.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Loes, lost.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Syskone(n), sibling(s).
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.

1 Ethanol, C2H5OH, ethyl alcohol. An organic product produced by brewing yeasts working on sugars under anærobic conditions. The other product is CO2 , carbon dioxide, bubbles.
2 Softth, in this context female genitalia.
3 Springen, sprang.
4 Clansaver, a ubiquitous, nutritious and tender variety of ocean leaf with little taste of its own which readily absorbs other flavours, oft uest as a meat extender. Ocean leaf, a generic term for edible seaweed.
5 Dish clout, dish cloth, a rag used for washing dishes.
6 Seedyt, seeded, something containing or covered with seeds.
7 Gargeern, rocket.
8 Red sour, hardy orange, like a Saville orange. Snow pie, meringue pie.
9 Tellin, a small tasty, often pink coloured, marine bivalve. In a tellin is equivalent to in a nutshell.
10 Flaught, foolish.
11 Frowart, one who is froward. Froward, usually of a child, one who is difficult to deal will, contrary.
12 Threatt, threatened.
13 Whilth, distance in terms of the time taken to cover it.
14 Males sac, scrotum.
15 Quaire, peculiar, unusual.
16 Bringen, brought.
17 Seaburn, sea coal.

up
13 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos