Castle The Series - 0088 Sven, Claudia, Stacey, Topal

Printer-friendly version

A Word Usage Key is at the end. Some commonly used words are there whether used in this chapter or not. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood of the n is replaced by a d or ed. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically with a footnote number. If you have suggestions I would be pleased to consider implementing them.

The brackets after a character e.g. CLAIRE (4 nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.) There is a list of chapters and their significant characters at the bottom too.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00019010

SUPERB MUSCLE TONE

CLOUD (43) AND SVEN (45)

16th of Chent Day 19

Cloud was a forty-three year old sculptor, she was a small, voluptuous and good-looking woman with a decided sense of humour which tended towards the ribald and the lascivious, if not outright lewd. She had lost her man, who had been much younger than she, to an infection in an injured leg two years over. She had never had any children, and didn’t know whether she could. Cloud had been seeking a man awhile and had found none she fancied till she saw Sven. He was a man of medium build who carried no fat, and she longed to see and touch his muscle definition. That she fancied him physically she knew, but she really wished to have him nude in her workshop so she could craft his image first using clay, and then stone. She was gradually becoming obsessed by him and knew she would have to do something. First, she thought, she had to reach agreement with him, so she wore a too small apron with rather tighter than usual lacing to assist her bosom to shew to maximum effect and went to eat in the Refectory where she waited for Sven. She was prepared to wait every eve for a lune or longer if need be, but he arrived after twenty minutes and after having selected his meal sat at a table on his own. Cloud considered that to be auspicious, collected her meal and sat beside him. She introduced herself. She noticed his eyes glancing at her bosom.

He responded to her introduction saying, “I am Sven and my craft is growing.”

“I know. I sat next to you deliberately. I believe you telt the growers you would wish to marry soon but not immediately, and I wish to be the first for you to consider.”

Sven was taken aback by Cloud’s directth even though he knew it was the way the Folk were, and he was finding it hard not to look at her bosom. It was three weeks, two tenners he mentally corrected himself, since he had maekt love with Virginia, and he was missing not just her, but having a wife. Trying to slow things down a little Sven asked, “Why me?” expecting a pragmatic and typical Folk response.

However, Cloud was not typical Folk, and she replied, “You have superb muscle definition and tone and I am a sculptor. I am drawn to you, and I wish to craft you in clay and then in stone. I find you attractive and though I have been looking awhile you are the first man I have feelt I wish to reach agreement with.”

Sven wasn’t bothered by her response and telt her, “When I was younger I considered nude modelling for art students. I needed to eat, and it would have enabled me to live reasonably comfortably, but I found a job working with fruit trees, so nothing came of it. I can’t say I regret not doing it, but I have often wondered where my life would have gone had I done so.”

“Would you model for me even if we don’t reach agreement?” Cloud asked him.

Sven looked directly at her bosom and asked, “Is that why you are wearing an apron that’s too small with over tight lacing? To persuade me to model for you.”

Not in the least bit dismayed by Sven’s perception, she replied, “It’s certainly one reason. If you object you could come home with me and loosen the lacing, or even remove the apron altogether if you like, that’s the other reason.” She waited giving Sven time to think. He was staring at her bosom all the while, but Cloud had the impression he was just facing in that direction and not even seeing her.

Eventually Sven looked her in the eyes and said, “It’s been two tenners since I made love with my wife, and I loved her. I still do. She was and is a good woman. I suspect that my body is doing my thinking for me right now, not my brain. If you are agreeable I shall sleep with you thisnight and model for you nextday, but I don’t want to make any commitment till I am thinking with my brain again.”

Cloud smiled and said, “That’s a fair proposition. It’s been a while since I bedd a man, and I shall enjoy it. What is your body thinking right now?”

“Some fairly erotic ideas, and the idea of removing your apron and all else figures quite highly.”

“All other things being in order are you going to marry me Sven? Because as soon as you wish to let me know, and we are marryt because I definitely wish to marry you, but I do admit having some fairly erotic thinkings too.”

“Yes, I think so, but I don’t want to make decisions when all I can think about is your body.”

Cloud laught again, and they left for her chambers where Sven loosened the lacing prior to removing not just her apron but everything else too. Cloud had a ripe and full body, and Sven ran his hands slowly and deliberately over her leaving no part untouched, savouring every detail, as if he were re-establishing the memories of the tactile sensations provided by a woman’s body.

Cloud melted at his more intimate touches, which readied her for a man, and insisted, “My turn now,” before she undresst him. When he was finally as naekt as she, she ran her fingers along the edges of his muscles fascinated by his shoulders, buttocks, back, the hard lines of muscles along his chest and the details of his jutting masculinity that she would need to be careful to sculpt accurately when she crafted his image. She too left nowhere untouched, and he was as ready as she when Cloud said, “Let’s see if I can make your brain function again, Sven.” For a couple in their forties they managed to expend a remarkable amount of effort and spent over twelve hours in bed. The forenoon was advanced when Sven admitted his body could think no longer so his brain must be working again.

When Sven awoke it was to discover Cloud was, as she put it, “Trying to make your body take you over one more time before braekfast.” That was indeed the case, and then naekt they ate braekfast. Sven gazed at Cloud’s breasts from time to time as she bounced them berount in a deliberately provocative manner.

They finished eating, and Sven said with a grin, “Yes, I shall marry you, but let’s go back to bed awhile. Modelling, I suspect, is going to prove to be very hard work to concentrate on, with you bouncing like that and I with no clothes on in a permanent state of erection. I think the only way we are going to achieve anything with your sculpture is by making love frequently.”

Cloud who was not unhappy at that said seriously, “For the first time in my life my work has become of lesser importance than something else to me. I really would like a babe, Sven, but how do you feel?”

Sven realising Cloud was now allowing him to become much closer to her replied, “Making love with you is enjoyable, making a child with you is not to be measured in terms of enjoyment. It is our future. So I suggest we go back to bed, make love thinking of a child, which is a serious matter to me, and then you set yourself a target in terms of your sculpture and we do our very best to meet it before my body completely subdues my brain again.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00020010

COUNCILLOR NIGEL

COUNCIL MEETING WHERE ARE WE?

17th of Chent Day 20

A tenner had passed since there had been a partial Council meeting, and the Council were expecting there to have been a moderate amount of progress in the assimilation of the incomers since they last met. Since most had managed to do the work they had put off due to the incursion many had decided to attend, despite Thomasʼ advice that their attendance was not vital. They didn’t expect any real surprises since things had been going much better than the archives had telt them could be the case, but all willen to know if any progress had been maekt concerning the fevers.

However, they were very surprised when Aaron walked into the chamber accompanied by a tall, thin, dark haired stranger who looked very nervous. Aaron placed a spare Councillor’s chair beside the one he usually sat in for the other man and both sat down. Aaron was clearly awaiting the meeting to begin, and all considered it portentous that the chair Aaron had selected for his companion was one that had only ever been uest by persons of powers beyond the normal before.

Yew stood and asked, “Aaron, would you introduce us to your friend?”

Aaron stood and said, “I should like to introduce all of you to Nigel who is a seeker of understanding. He is of powers beyond the normal, and I have managt to persuade him to become my protégé and successor.”

Without any hesitation Yew walked berount the Council table to shake Nigel’s hand in both of his. Beaming a huge smile he said, “Well come, Councillor Nigel. Aaron’s search for you has been known to all for a long time. That he has findt you makes Castle a safer and a better place. Well come again.”

One by one the Councillors shook Nigel’s hand and bad him well come. Milligan smiled as he shook hands and said, “I shall miss the calmth that always surrount you, Nigel. Well come.”

Yew resumed, “There are a few members of the Council not here thisday, but I shall introduce them as it becomes possible, Nigel.” The Councillors all taekt their seats and Yew indicated Gareth, who as usual was chairing the meeting, should commence.

Gareth started by saying, “I am sure it will take you a little time to learn all our names and what we do, Nigel, but would you like to address us, that we may know a little of you? There is no need to stand. It is not usual to so do.” Nigel looked questioningly at Aaron who nodded in encouragement.

“I am newfolk, and I am married to Dabchick, a provisioner with the Keep kitchens. I have a difficult past which involved much religion, something which I know makes you nervous. However, I have never been what you consider a religious fanatic. Religion means something different to me. It is an opportunity to help those less fortunate than myself to the best of my ability. I have talked with Aaron at length of the Castle Way, which is what I now consider to be my religion.”

Nigel stopped, and Yew remarked, “It would seem you are as sparing of words as Aaron, Nigel.”

Yew nodded to Gareth who starting the main order of events said, “We’ve still only loes eleven incomers, all adults, ten men and a woman. Most were no serious loss to the Folk. Eleven is on the low side of average, but it is expectet not all of the twenty-nine placet at sea, in the forests and the mines will be coming back. All in all though, things have progresst satisfactorily.” There was general agreement with that.

Campion reported on the placements “We’ve all the elders, all adults at the Keep, except one or two who are recovering from previous hurt, and all the children placet. Will has a dozen or so rather challenging boys and young men successfully crafting in his office.”

She looked at Will who continued “As you are all aware, we never findt any willing to take over from Thresher when he retiren. I know it is common knowledge I now have eleven of the children and two young men enrollt in a new squad, the kennels and mews squad, under a highly competent squad leader of ten naemt Gage.” Will paused and added, “Gage has just acceptet the position of kennel Master.” There were expressions of surprise at that as a ten year old Master crafter was, to most, unheard of, but Will always had been an idiosyncratic man and none said aught. “They all have families and nine of them and their sister have been adoptet by Beatrix and Jackdaw who have taken charge of the general education of all thirteen. They have all adoptet each other as syskonen(1) which though unusual is I’m telt in full accord with the Way. The boys’ sister, Beth, crafts in the squad with her brothers.

“What is not common knowledge outside the office is the kennels and mews have never been as tightly run, and they’re already providing the Keep with a considerable amount of meat. Milligan tells me they have stopt and are now preventing a huge loss of preservt food by their daily reduction of the rodents in the Keep stores. At my request, they have expandet their activities by hunting vermin in Gudrun’s hay and straw and Basil’s bedding stores too.” Milligan and Basil nodded in agreement with Will’s statements and Will continued, “They all wish to craft with us as adults, and the entire office is pleast with the situation. We haven’t had this many join us in a long time. They are all an asset to the office and the Folk alike now, and will become more so in the future. Emma tells me that despite their unusual characters they are considered to be highly desirable as heartfriends mongst folkbirtht girls.” Though, Emma Will’s wife was known as a good judge of character, the Councilllors were not surprised for the boys would all be high status individuals as a result of their craft at which they were known to be successful.

“They are currently being teacht to ride, on horses as unuest to being ridden as they are to riding, by young Chris who is teaching them all badly and incorrectly according to the horse trainers. Chris insistet on horses barely ridable, and Alfalfa providet horses that had never been ridden. Interestingly to me, though the horse trainers consider it to be dangerous folly, Chris will not even consider any using a bit of any kind, for he says it is not the way to treat a horse and he has had special bitless bridles maked by Filbert for them all. However, under his guidance his syskonen have all forgt strong bonds with their horses, are learning faster than any I have ever seen and are all already better riders than many who have been riding for a lifetime, so I have maekt it clear to all Chris is to be left to do it his way. Not using a bit seems to be reasonable, for though there have been some spills none have been serious and there have been less than I would have expectet. What is impressive is none blaemt their horse maturely insisting it happent because they were not learning as quickly as their mount.

“Gage has negotiatet with Geoffrey that they are teacht to handle a waggon and team by his crafters in return for ratting in his stables and feed stores. Geoffrey tells me it is a satisfactory trade, and his crafters who take them on some of their shorter trips are impresst by their willingth to help and learn. It is our intention, at the suggestion of Gage, to keep recruiting, and to keep the squad going even when the current members move on to adult placements, since it seems it will be the best way to ensure continuity and we won’t have the situation where none is looking after the kennels and mews again. Gage has managt to interest quite a number of youngsters in the squad and as a result has a large number of part time assistants, and I suspect will acquire yet more as more children become aware of the situation.

“I have Linden writing of it all for the archives since I opine it has proven to be a way of managing what Gosellyn refert to as ‘challenging young individuals’ with no effort on our part at all.” He laught, a short dry crack of a laugh, “Gale telt me the way Gage initially bringen his squad under his control was highly idiosyncratic and somewhat autocratic. I believe he telt them they either obeyt, or he would kick the shit out of them. I have also hearet that he findt it necessary to kick it out of some of our rowdier folkbirtht boys who willen to join him. An enterprising young man I feel, with a decidet future, may hap even Master huntsman one day.” The Council roared laughing at the last, not least because it would have been entirely credible if the tale related by Gale had been of Will himself.

Thomas asked Gareth to continue. “The eight women who initially stayt in the tent after Thomas’ address who were craftet to the kitcheners and the chamberers have all findt men. Basil has marryt one of them.” The Councillors looked at Basil who appeared a trace less dour than usual. “We never had any real worries for them, but none are intelligent, and we were concernt for their weäl they should settle in quickly. They have. Six of the nine pregnant young women who were of so much concern to us have findt men and four of those a craft placement. One of them, Jo, is now marryt to Knott the carpenter, and they have a daughter. Jade who goent to Aaron’s family is back and is marryt to Phthalen the tanner and crafting with his sister Yumalle with her goats. The other two have only just birtht, and there is time for them to find a craft. The remaining three are still with Aaron’s family learning the grower craft. The other group of thirteen pregnant women have all findt a man and are craft placet though some have temporary placements making babe clothes and caring to babes before they take up their craft of choice.”

Gosellyn admitted, “We have maekt no further progress with the fevers, but our understanding of wound treatment is better and we are seeing faster and better healing as a result of information gleant from not just those with a healer background but from Gina, a Mistress Dairy crafter, the brewers and others too, including the farriers who it appears, unbeknownst to us, have been using redweed to counter hoof infections since at least the Fell Year. We have since initiatet a closer collaboration between ourselfs and the animal healers. I shall let the Council know as soon as we can start treatment gainst the fevers, not least because we shall wish to inoculate you with the cowpox as a matter of urgency.”

Vinnek had little to say of the machiners other than, “We are making three reaper-binders but have a lot of problems still to solve. It is difficult for the rest of us to tell how much progress we are making because we don’t appreciate what has yet to be doen. However, George tells us they will be ready for this year’s harvest. We have twelve intelligent apprentices already learning, and they are definitely making good progress.”

Thomas apologised for there being so little of any substance to discuss but said “I doet tell you. It is my suggestion meetings of the full Council revert back to every lune on the first or second day of the lune as normal. As before smaller groups meet as they will. If the return of the reluctants causes problems you will be informt.”

“I’m rather pleast there was so little to discuss, Thomas. I came to hear for myself, because I should have been disturbt if we had had a full agenda all this time after the incursion.” Plume summed up a lot of Councillors’ feelings and they went their separate ways satisfied with the situation.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00021010

RUSTLING MUSIC

CLAUDIA (22) AND STOAT (16)

18th of Chent Day 21

Though she had long been aware they were produced commercially, Claudia still couldn’t think of growing bean sprouts as anything other than something children did in a jar. She had been astonished at the interest it had generated mongst the growers. The whole concept had been novel to them. The idea of seed-sprouts, as a new source of fresh vegetables available in the cold weather, grown from the dried seeds of summer-grown plants, that could be grown all year in warm empty chambers in the Keep, as long as there was a water supply, had started a whole new sub-craft within the growers with four full time crafters and thirty-odd others who cross crafted sprouting with their other activities.

Claudia had had to explain all she knew, and she had admitted it wasn’t much. She had always grown hers in a dark cupboard, but didn’t know whether darkth was a requirement or just a convenience. She did know the seeds had to be soaked initially, and then rinsed several times a day, and more frequently in hot weather to prevent mould. She had heard some seeds sprouted better under pressure, a friend had uest a plate with her kitchen scale weights on top of it, but she didn’t know which ones, or whether it was just one variety of seed, or indeed all of them. She also telt them of the way very young salad leafs were grown, often including varieties which as mature plants were unpalatable. At the last minute she remembered and telt of the growing technique referred to as cut and come again, but admitted it was not something she had ever tried herself.

The growers had expressed gratitude to her, and telt her they would run trials of all the variables she had mentioned, and they had asked her to let them know if she remembered aught else. They had telt her they had the intention of trial sprouting everything they had seeds for, both as sprouts and as young leaf salads. The idea of cut and come again salads had considerable appeal and would also be trialled.

Claudia had wished to be a proper grower, and had joined the cereal growers. It was at a meeting of the cereal growers she had met Stoat. He was tall and of a slender build with dark gray-green eyes, long, wavy, strawberry blond hair and eyelashes many a woman envied, but it maekt him appear a little effeminate. She felt sad for him as he appeared to be on his own just listening.

She asked him what he grew, and in a quiet voice he had said, “I’m not a grower. I’m Stoat, an apprentice thatcher, and my interest is in the stalks left over after the threshing. I’d come to listen to see if aught of interest to thatchers was sayt.”

“I’m Claudia. I’m newfolk and I’ve joined the cereal growers. Did you hear anything interesting?”

“No, but then I doetn’t expect to.”

That had been five days since, and she had met him again in the Refectory lastday lunchtime. She had been sitting down and starting her lunch when she saw him come in, and she had waved at him to join her. They’d spaken of their respective crafts, and she explained the cereals were now high enough so as not to require weeding, and they were cleaning out storage bins, and generally preparing for the coming harvest. He telt her till the harvest was in there would be no more straw thatching to do, and they were awaiting deliveries of reeds which would probably arrive in two tenners or may hap a lune. In the meanwhile they were making broaches(2) and other bits and pieces in readith, using fresh woodland materials from the coppicers.

They finished their lunch, and as they were leaving Stoat had asked her, “I’m going to the dance thiseve in the Greathall are you?”

“I didn’t know there was one. Are you sure?”

“It’s not a formal dance,” he explained. “so it starts early. Some of the musicians are rehearsing dance music. It also gives them an opportunity to prepare new music for a formal dance. There are usually a lot of children there especially early in the eve. You could have a lot of fun. Why don’t you come with me?” She had agreed, and they’d had a lot of fun. The presence of the younger children meant none taekt aught too seriously, and she danced most of the eve in a group with Stoat and a dozen older children and young adults between the ages of ten and twenty. He had telt her he was sixteen which she had calculated as twenty or twenty-one in Earth years, and she had telt him she was twenty-two which was seventeen in Castle years.

When he escorted her back to her chamber she had allowed him to kiss her goodnight, and she realised she had enjoyed it as much as he. They had agreed to meet again for lunch, and as he left she said, “Thank you, I enjoyed myself.” He smiled, and then mischievously she added, “and I had fun at the dance too.”

They had met for lunch, and the weather being sunny they decided to take a packed lunch to eat outside in the courtyard beside the fish pond. When they reached the fish pond they saw a lot of others had had the same idea, and most of them were young couples. They were both aware they were exploring possibilities of reaching agreement. Claudia knew she no longer felt any guilt looking for another husband. She missed Trevor, but she was here and he was not. She had fun being with Stoat. She liekt him and she knew he more than liekt her. The goodnight kiss the eve before had awakened feelings and desires she hadn’t had since she had arrived on Castle, and she knew they were now awake permanently. When Stoat eventually asked her to marry him, as she knew he would, she knew she would say yes, and the only puzzle was how to encourage him to ask her.

Stoat had never had a proper relationship before. He’d had a relationship of sorts with a much older woman, and they had been occasional bed partners, but both knew it was no more than that, and she had eventually married some other. There had been no regrets on either side. He knew he wished to reach agreement with Claudia, though he had no idea why. He knew she had recently married before arriving on Castle, and she had left her man behind. He also knew she had been hurt by that, and he wasn’t sure whether she wished another man yet or no. He definitely didn’t wish to spoil things by asking her too soon. Yet there was not just that kiss. There was what she had said of it too.

They finished their lunch and Claudia asked, “Have you time to walk out to the beach Stoat?”

“Yes, all afternoon if I wish it. And you?”

Claudia didn’t wish to tell him her craft colleagues had telt her to take what ever time she needed till she dealt with her personal placement prior to the harvest. “Yes, I have the afternoon too.”

They walked out through the gatehouse tunnel and over the moat bridge. Whilst they crossed the moat Claudia held her hand out for him. Stoat taekt her hand and put both hands into the pocket of his fur coat. It was sunny, but no longer inside the shelter of the Keep the wind was decidedly chilly. They navigated the ponds and ditches outside the moat, and turned south to walk berount the Keep to the beach. They crossed the bridge over the Little Arder which fed into the moat at its south-east corner from which they could see Abel’s boatshed with a number of boats pulled out of the water beside it. Looking down into the water Claudia pointed excitedly at the hundreds of fish shoaling near the bridge piers, some of them at least a foot and a half long. “They’re trout and oft here but more oft farther upstream” Stoat explained.

They left the Little Arder after a few minutes and turned right towards the coast. As they crossed the dunes they saw a small fishing boat pulling lobster creels, and they waved to the crew of two who waved back. There were some older children fishing the intertidal pools with huge shrimp nets a stride and a half wide, and they went to see if they had caught aught. The children had several pails of shrimp which they telt the couple would be on the menu at the Refectory that eve meal. Still hand in hand they walked farther down the beach and turned south till they walked berount a bend in the coast line and the children and the boat were no longer visible. The seals started to make even more noise than usual as they skirted their nursery ground, but they quietened a little as the couple walked away from them.

They reached Crabber’s Flat, a small jetty to which a small boat resting on the sand was tied. Stoat telt her the jetty was uest by crabbers and lobster men. Claudia could see in the farth off shore a pair of islands. It was hard to say how far away they were and she asked, “Does any one live there Stoat?”

“Not all year,” he replied. “They graze sheep there mostly on the seaweed which gives the meat a distinctive taste. At this time of year there will be a couple of sheepherds, usually a marryt couple with their family. A fisherman and his wife live there in summer too. They salt, dry and smoke fish. There’s a decent siezt, substantial, stone-built house and similar out buildings there and the sheepherds do three tenner turns. But there’s none there over winter because the storms make it so unpleasant. There are no trees to provide a windbraek, they won’t grow there, so even the sheep are bringen back before the winter weather closes in. There’s no fresh water other than rain collectet off the house and buildings’ roofs, the sheep drink rain water collectet in shallow clay lient(3) ponds. It’s yclept Samar Isle and it is a lot bigger than it appears from here, but it’s all less than two strides above sea level. The jetty’s in the bay that appears to make it look as if it’s two islands from here.”

Claudia turned into Stoat, and taking his other hand she put his arm berount her. She turned her face to his, their kiss was gentle at first but as they both warmed to the idea it ended up as aught but gentle. Claudia led Stoat off the beach to the dunes, and in a sheltered hollow surrounded by the tall dune grass removed her coat and laid it on the ground. Stoat did likewise and they undresst in silence. As they maekt love to the rustling music of the wind whispering through the dune grass and the wailing plaint of a lone sea bird they didn’t notice the wind or the caltth. They helped each other dress, but it had been a lot easier taking clothes off in the wind than it was putting them back on again. They dresst laughing all the while as they struggled with the wind, finally with their coats back on, hand in hand, they walked back down the beach to the shoreline.

The tide had turned and was now on its way back in as they headed north. The jetty now had six small boats tied to it but the fishermen had gone. When they reached the pools they were no longer pools just sea and the children had gone, and the boat was no longer visible as they crossed the dunes, presumably it was one of the boats at the jetty. Even the trout had gone as they crossed the bridge. The shine was thin and weak now, yet the frosted rime of the late afternoon that had already covered the ground wouldn’t be able to resist the crushing weighth of boots till the gloam replaced the shine in several hours.

It occurred to Stoat as they approached the moat bridge he hadn’t asked Claudia to marry him, and turning to her he asked, “Do we have agreement, Claudia?”

Claudia, glad he had finally asked and not taken it for granted, replied, “Yes, we do.”

“I only have a small chamber, but it has a double bed so we could spend thisnight there if the Master at arms staff have goen home for the day,” Stoat telt her. “Unless you have a better chamber?”

“I have a small chamber too, but only a single bed so I suggest we sleep in your bed thisnight because I can’t be bothered to try the Master at arms till nextday. But I want to eat shrimp for dinner.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00021020

GO AWAY A HALF

STACEY’S (19) BABE TOPAL

18th of Chent Day 21

Stacey had her first indication of birthing as she was making braekfast. She said to Juniper, “The baby is coming, and I should like you to bring a midwife, please Juniper.” She was not overly frightened as a result of Billie’s experience, having accepted Billie had had an unusually difficult birthing, but it was her first, and unlike folkbirtht girl children she had never watched a birth, and so had no idea what to expect. Juniper brought Margæt back with him, and she telt him to go away and not even consider returning before lunch. When he reported for his duty, Vloë his squad leader taekt one look at him after being telt his wife was birthing, and she telt him to go away and not to bother coming back for at least half a tenner. He went to see his mother, and telt her what was happening. Meliot taekt him to her brother Archer, and telt him to take Juniper fishing for at least half the day. She left her brother to manage her son, and went to see how her daughter was progressing.

Stacey’s birthing was proceeding as Margæt expected, and as the midwife inelegantly put it, “In the next few hours, believe me, you are going to be grateful for that wide cotte of yours. If ever a woman had childbearing hips you are she.”

The three women laught, and Meliot admitted, “The wiedth of my cotte has been a sore trial to me for most of my life, but when I was birthing I was more than grateful for it.”

Margæt, who was not without a pair of hips herself, remarked, “We all hate our cotte, yet my man, who is no different from any other, would be upset if I doetn’t have it. I’d love to be slender and elegant, but he would hate it. They’re all for bosom and cotte, but wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could be grateful they are.”

The three of them laught, Stacey’s laugh was cut short by what her body was doing to her. Juniper returned at half five with his uncle who was telt to take him away for another few hours. Archer taekt Juniper away again, and when they returned at eight Juniper was obviously relaxed by having been taken for a drink. He held Stacey’s hand and spake with her of aught and all, and was surprised at the speed with which things eventually happened. Topal was birtht after ten, and for a short while Juniper was allowed to hold his son which he found to be moving and terrifying at the same time.

Eventually when Stacy was nursing Topal they were left alone for a little while, and Stacey admitted to him, “I uest to think breast feeding was disgusting, but it’s wonderful.” Juniper who thought watching his wife nurse their son was moving beyond description had no answer to that, and just kissed her in response.

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete
7 Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastaire, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift
72 Gareth, Willow, Ivy, David, Kæna,Chive, Hyssop, Birch, Lucinda, Camomile, Meredith, Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, Murre, Iola, Milligan, Yarrow, Flagstaff, Swansdown, Tenor, Morgan, Yinjærik, Silvia, Harmaish, Billie, Jo, Stacey, Juniper
73 The Growers, The Reluctants, Miriam, Roger, Lauren, Dermot, Lindsay, Scott, Will, Chris, Plume, Stacey, Juniper
74 Warbler, Jed, Veronica, Campion, Mast, Lucinda, Cormorant, Camomile, Yellowstone
75 Katheen, Raymnd, Niall, Bluebe, Sophie, Hazel, Ivy, Shadow, Allison, Amber, Judith, Storm Alwydd, Matthew, Beatrix, Jackdaw, The Squad, Elders, Jennt, Bronze, Maeve, Wain, Monique, Piddock, Melissa, Roebuck, Aaron, Carley Jade, Zoë, Vikki, Bekka, Mint, Torrent
76 Gimlet, Leech,Gwendoline, Georgina, Quail. Birchbark, Hemlock, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Hannah, Aaron, Torrent, Zoë, Bekka, Vikki, Jade, Carley, Chough, Anvil, Clematis, Stonechat, Peace, Xanders, Gosellyn, Yew, Thomas, Campion, Will, Iris, Gareth
77 Zoë, Torrent, Chough, Stonechat, Veronica, Mast, Sledge, Cloudberry, Aconite, Cygnet, Smokt
78 Jed, Warbler, Luval, Glaze, Seriousth, Blackdyke, Happith, Camilla
79 Torrent, Zoë, Stonechat, Clematis, Aaron, Maeve, Gina, Bracken, Gosellyn, Paene, Veronica, Mast, Fracha, Squid, Silverherb
80 George/Gage, Niall, Alwydd, Marcy/Beth, Freddy/Bittern, Wayland, Chris, Manic/Glen, Guy, Liam, Jed, Fergal, Sharky
81 The Squad, Manic/Glen, Jackdaw, Beatrix, Freddy/Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Wayland, Jade, Stonechat, Beauty, Mast, Veronica, Raven, Tyelt, Fid
82 Gimlet, Leech, Scentleaf, Ramson, Grouse, Aspen, Stonechat, Bekka, Carley, Vikki, Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Jed, Warbler, Spearmint, Alwydd, Billie, Diver, Seal, Whitethorn
83 Alastair, Carrom, Céline, Quickthorn, Corral, Morgelle, Fritillary, Bistort, Walnut, Tarragon, Edrydd, Octopus, Sweetbean, Shrike, Zoë, Torrent, Aaron, Vinnek, Zephyr, Eleanor, Woad, George/Gage, The Squad, Ingot, Yellowstone, Phthalen, Will
84 Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Alsike, Campion, Siskin, Gosellyn, Yew, Rowan, Thomas, Will, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Tuyere
85 Jo, Knott, Sallow, Margæt, Irena, Tabby, Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Stonechat, Spearmint, Alwydd, Seriousth, Warbler, Jed, Brett, Russel, Barleycorn, Crossbill, Lizo, Hendrix, Monkshood, Eyrie, Whelk, Gove, Gilla, Faarl, Eyebright, Alma, axx, Allan, daisy, Suki, Tull
86 Cherville, Nightshade, Rowan, Milligan, Wayland, Beth, Liam, Chris, Gage
87 Reedmace, Ganger, Jodie, Blade, Frœp, Mica, Eddique, Njacek, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Serin, Cherville, Nightshade, peregrine, Eleanor, Woad, Buzzard, Silas, Oak, Wolf, Kathleen, Reef, Raymond, Sophie, Niall, Bluebell

88 Cloud, Sven, Claudia, Stoat, Thomas, Aaron, Nigel, Yew, Milligan, Gareth, Campion, Will, Basil, Gosellyn, Vinnek, Plume

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Doet, did. Pronounced dote.
Doetn’t, didn’t. Pronounced dough + ent.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
Intendet, fiancée or fiancé.
Knoewn, knew.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Loes, lost.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.

1 Syskon(en), sibling(s).
2 Broaches, twisted pieces of split hazel uest to hold thatch down.
3 Lient, lined.

up
13 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos