Castle The Series - 0048 Bronwen, Vincent, Kathleen’s Family

Printer-friendly version

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003210

ENTERTAINMENT

MID-AFTERNOON TO EVE BRONWEN (41) AND FOREST (26)

Word Usage Key is at the end. The brackets after a character eg CLAIRE (4 nc) indicate Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.)

30th of Towin Day 3

As agreed the previous eve, Bronwen and Forest met in the mid-afternoon in the Greathall. They had been taken with each other the previous eve, but had been self-conscious and acutely aware of a lot of Master at arms staff scrutiny. Bronwen had suggested they meet nextday,(1) and Forest had suggested the Greathall, so they could genuinely look at all the art works displayed there. Bronwen was forty-one and a medium highth,(2) slightly plump, buxom brunette of considerable intelligence and a disarming smile. She was a feminine woman who preferred men as friends rather than women. She also had a non-negotiable code by which she lived, and what she had learnt of the Way felt right to her. Her previous relationship had ended when her forty-four year old husband had run off with an eighteen year old office worker whom he worked with. She had big breasts and no brains, and she’d dumped him six weeks later. He went crawling back expecting to be forgiven to find the flat had new tenants and Bronwen had gone.

Forest was an entertainer, most notably a tenor singer though he played several musical instruments too. He was twenty-six, a small compact man slightly taller than Bronwen. He was intelligent, with harsh aquiline features and a reluctant smile. He had married at the age of twenty, late for the Folk, and had lost Rosehip, his wife, to the fevers. He had no children. Rosehip had been ten years older than he, and like Bronwen a small, slightly plump, buxom woman, though she had been blonde.

They walked in the Greathall looking at the art work and spaeking(3) of trivia awhile, they had telt each other of their previous lifes(4) lasteve.(5) Forest asked simply, “Will you be my wife, Bronwen?”

Bronwen as simply replied, “Yes, I shall.”

Forest laught and said, “Why did we need to come here for that?”

Bronwen, putting her hand out to hold his, replied, “I don’t know. It does seem silly doesn’t it, when now we are married, I don’t care who sees me holding your hand. But whilst we’re here I’d like to look at the art work.”

They did, discussing the art and their lifes. They decided they wished to have a family, but not to adopt. They wished to settle down first. That there would be no children to adopt by then they accepted. Bronwen had never had any before from choice, but as far as she was aware she still could, and they decided to leave the matter to chance. Forest taekt(6) her back to see his chambers, and as he had suggested they weren’t big enough for a couple intending to have a family, so they went to the Master at arms offices and acquired a new suite of chambers in the same inner wall section. Forest findt(7) some friends, and they had all his belongings moved in a couple of hours. That they were in love neither had any doubt. They spent the rest of the eve together, and by the time they went to bed they were lovers in love.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003220

BUY ONE GET ONE FREE

AFTERNOON TO EVE OPAL (34), SPICE (32) &VINCENT (45)

30th of Towin Day3

Vincent had spaken(8) with and danced with a lot of women the eve before, and the ones interested in him had all been quite a bit younger than he. This had puzzled him since some of them were half his age. That they were serious he didn’t doubt, after all he’d been telt often enough. He had danced thrice over the course of the eve with a young woman called Opal, who he thought was ten years younger than he. Her conversation was interesting, and he had thought she was pretty. He was flattered she was interested in him, which she had maekt(9) very clear. She had telt him she had three children and would like more. She was the oldest looking of the women who he thought were really interested in him, and he was honest enough to admit despite their age difference he was interested too. He decided to seek her out at the seamstresses’ work place where she had telt him she would be if he would like to see her again. He was thinking over what he would say whilst having lunch, but he came to no conclusions. So with his pulses racing, not entirely from nerves, he went to the seamstresses’ work place and asked an enormously bosomed woman, who telt him her name was Amethyst, where Opal could be found. She asked a pleasant looking, fair haired young man to notify Opal who arrived within a few minutes.

As she was leaving Amethyst remarked, “I’ll leave you to it,” and in an aside to Opal said in a whisper meant to be overheard, “make sure he doesn’t behave himself then you have him, Dear.”

Opal smiled at Amethyst as she left and said to Vincent, “She’s dreadful, but very kind really.” She held her hand out to Vincent who automatically held it without realising what he was doing, and then flusht(10) as he tried to let go. “No, I wish to hold your hand, Vincent. Do I take it you are as interestet(11) in me as I am in you?” Vincent was definitely out of his deepth(12) with Opal, but he had come here to express interest so he nodded. “Let’s go back to my chambers to discuss this because I have things I need to tell you, and I prefer not to here. You can meet my sister Spice too. We live together with our children. We both loes(13) our men to the fevers and helpt(14) each other through our loss.”

Vincent thought that sounded safe enough with this alarmingly direct young woman, some privacy with a chaperone. He said, “Yes, that sounds a good idea.”

They walked through the Keep walkways to Opal’s chambers still holding hands. Opal wouldn’t let go. She telt him, “You givn(15) it me, and I’m keeping it till I have to let it go.” When they reached Opal’s chambers he met Spice, who telt(16) them she had taken the children to the Greathall and would collect them later. Opal went to a press and produced three glasses and a bottle of gean brandy. She poured a generous measure into each glass and said to Vincent, “You may need this in view of what we wish to tell you, Vincent. We are seeking a husband to share, a husband, not two husbands, and we should like to marry you.”

Vincent was startled rather than shocked, so much he thought for the safety of privacy and a chaperone. He had heard of multiple marriages on Castle, but he had never dreamt he would be propositioned for one. He drank some of his brandy and playing for time said, “Would you explain that a bit more please?”

The two women moved to sit down on either side of him on the settle, and Spice said, “Opal dancet(17) with you the first twice lastnight,(18) but not thrice, for it was I who dancet with you the third time.”

Accepting that, Vincent remembered the two women had both explicitly expressed interest in him at the dance, and they were similar enough to have fooled him in the fading candle light towards midnight as many of the candles had burnt out by then. “Why?” he asked.

“I liekt(19) you from the start,” explained Opal, “and I telt Spice of you. We decidet(20) to have her have spaech(21) with you and dance with you to make sure she did too.”

“But why one man and why me? I’m ten years older than you.”

Spice replied, “After our grief last year, our children have grown up as syskonen,(22) and Opal and I have shaert(23) everything. We don’t wish to live apart, or to make our children do so. We’ve discusst(24) sharing a husband for over half a year now. We don’t wish a man who wills one of us. It’s both or neither whether it’s you or some other.”

Opal continued with the explanations, “You are kind, and we bethink us you will be a good father to our children, and we both like you enough to wish more children with you. We know this is not done whence you come, and it is not usual here, but it is acceptet(25) here. The folk in a marriage define their own marriage.” The women each taekt one of his hands, and were stroking the backs of them. Opal continued, “Please consider it carefully Vincent. You would make us both very happy, and if necessary we are prepaert(26) to do some much more serious persuading, singly or both of us. You have to realise we are women desperate to find a good father for our children, and a good man for us to have more children with. We believe we’ve findt what we are looking for, and are not willingly going to let you go.”

The two women sitting on either side of him on the settle moved so their legs were touching his, and both started kissing his neck. “Please let me think,” he said, aroused and terrified at the same time. “I can see you are determined on this, and I am not unwilling, but you are right. This is not even acceptable where I come from. I am not saying it is not done, but not openly. I have heard of multiple marriages here, but how can I be sure it will be acceptable, especially since I am ten years older than you?”

Spice turned him to face her, kissed him and replied, “Eleven and threeteen(27) years older.” She kissed him again, and turned him berount(28) so Opal could kiss him, which she did twice.

“Just to keep it fair,” Opal explained laughing. “See now being shaert wasn’t so bad was it?”

“In answer to your question,” Spice continued, “That’s easy. We make an appearance and put what we’ve agreen(29) to the Folk. There is no higher law on Castle.” They carried on kissing, and discussing the appearance, Vincent becoming more and more aroused and interested in them as a pair of wives, but also more and more anxious regarding their appearance. Spice suggested, “Opal is the best to say it all, and we then just have to agree with her.”

“I’m willing so to do if you are willing to accept it done that way, Vincent?” Opal said.

Vincent much relieved he wouldn’t be risking making a fool of himself in public replied, “I should be much happier to do it that way.”

“Then the matter is dealt with,” put in Spice, “and you have enough time left of the afternoon before we collect the children, to demonstrate your sincerity in the matter to both your wifes,(30) in bed. You’re going to be shaert again, though in a much more meaningful manner, my love.”

The women holding a hand each led him to a bedchamber, where he was shared thoroughly. “Is it long since you enjoyt(31) a woman, Vincent?” asked Opal.

“No, not long. I left a good wife behind, and I can’t help it, but I miss her. I know I have to start afresh, and I’m doing my best.”

“That you are,” remarked Spice, “and a very acceptable best it is too.” She giggled as she said the last and Opal joined in with her giggles.

“We do understand, Vincent,” Opal remarked compassionately. “Grief is not easy for any, and yours is more recent than ours. We’ll do our best to help.”

“Your best is very good too,” Vincent said with a laugh, “Is it long since, to use your phrase, you enjoyed a man?”

“Over a year, and I had forgett(32) how wonderful it is to be a woman. Bedding is just a part of it, but it is a particularly enjoyable part that reminds you of all the other parts. You have maekt me a happy woman, Vincent,” Opal telt him.

“That goes for me too,” said Spice kissing him. “You are a careful and caring man, and I am glad Opal findt you for us. Now exciting and fulfilling as the afternoon has been, we must prepare for the collection of our offspring who are going to be so pleast(33) they have a dad.”

They dresst(34) with less haste than they had undresst,(35) enjoying that too. They decided they would all go to collect the children from the Greathall. Opal said, “I don’t suppose you will remember, but my three boys are Auk who is nine, Ebony who is six and Tor who is three, and Spice’s boys are Inkcap who is five and Lichen who is four. Her girls are Foxglove who is eight and Fragrance who is seven.”

They walked the long way berount to the Greathall, and as they reached the huge doors were mobbed by what seemed to be at least a dozen children. A quick count revealed there were only the required seven. The children looked at Vincent with enquiry on their faces, Even Tor and Lichen understood how their world worked, and with bated breath were hoping to hear they now had a dad. They all knew their mums were seeking a dad to share, they had been telt lunes over, but they were too nervous to ask because they feared they were going to be disappointed.

Spice said to them, “You have a dad now. So go and put your coats on. We are eating at home thisnight(36) to celebrate.” The five boys were boisterous in their approval, but the two girls held their hands out to Vincent. The expressions on their faces telt him everything of how desperately they wished a dad.

He asked, “Who is Foxglove and who is Fragrance?” They telt him, and he helped them on with their coats. They held his hands on the walk back.

Opal said to Spice, “Excellent! Sister, Vincent really doesn’t mind being shaert at all.” The adults all laught, the children laught too, though the jokes they were laughing at were different.

When they arrived home, Spice said, “You two go with the children and I’ll prepare food.”

Opal and Spice both did a bit of food preparation and joined Vincent with the children from time to time. He had been sitting in a large chair with an assortment of small bodies in a constant state of flux on his knee and been kissed on the top of his head from time to time by his wifes, and all over the face from time to time by his horde of children, and it seemed as though it had been that way for ever. He knew he would resent any attempt to change it. By the time food was on the table Vincent had been called Dad so oft he had become uest(37) to it. After eating, they washed, dried and put away the dinner things whilst the younger four readied themselfs(38) for bed. They played games for an hour with all seven of them after which the younger ones went to bed and the older three put their night clothes on. Half an hour later, with the older three safely in bed too, they discussed sleeping arrangements, coming to the conclusion the two large double beds and the settle in the living space would be enough to be going on with since they had no immediate plans on using more than one double bed which they were going to replace with a bigger bed as soon as possible.

They decided to go to bed early, Opal saying, “I need to rehearse for my appearance nextday.(39) I need you two to tell me what I have to say. I’m so glad I findt you, my love,” she said, kissing Vincent.

“Me too, Love,” said Spice, also kissing Vincent.

Vincent laught, and telt them, though he was beginning to love them too, the situation maekt him laugh too because he hadn’t realised wifes were on special offer. He explained the custom of large sellers of things on Earth to do special offers, a favourite one was buy one get one free, often referred to by its initials: BOGOF. Spice asked if every one on Earth could always make full use of the free one. “I don’t know, but I’m not wasting any of mine,” replied Vincent with a smile as they all went into the bedchamber.

Spice and Opal whose lunecycles(40) had synchronised since living together were aware in eight or nine days they would be at their best time to conceive, and whilst in the kitchen had decided they wished to do so as soon as possible. Vincent didn’t know it but he was going to be a busy man for a long time, his days of making love once were over. In Spice’s words, “It’s both or neither,” and neither was not going to be an option. Their loving was gentler than before, none of them was going any where, and it lasted longer and left them infinitely happier with their situation, and falling asleep all were thinking of braekfast(41) with the children, and of their appearance. Vincent was asleep long before his wifes.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00003230

CAREFUL MUM

DINNER TO EVE KATHLEEN (45 nc) + NIALL (13 nc), BLUEBELL (11 nc), SOPHIE (2 nc)

30th of Towin Day 3

Kathleen, in the last tenners of her pregnancy, had found walking difficult. Her pregnancy made her feel she was no longer in control of her own body. This was her fourth child, and she was sure she had never been this big before, but she pondered, “I wasn’t forty-five before either, so maybe it was easier, or maybe I just don’t remember very accurately.” Her three other children were adults, and this one had happened after she was sure she couldn’t be caught again. Arthur and she hadn’t had a relationship for years, they had become a habit. In an attempt to resurrect a long dead marriage they had dined out and gone to the theatre. They drank more than either of them could manage and ended up making love, also for the first time in years. Since she thought her menopause had been over two years earlier she hadn’t even considered taking precautions. She felt aggrieved she had become pregnant when she couldn’t even remember having had sex, similar to having to pay a bill for goods she’d never received. It hadn’t worked any way, and by the time she realised she was pregnant, Arthur had been gone over three months.

She had wondered what she was going to do as a forty-five year old single mother. She went to a few meetings at various widowed, divorced and separated clubs, and had recoiled in horror from most of the men she had met, bitter divorcees with more emotional baggage than any sane woman would ever consider taking on. By the time she had taken her maternity leave from the barrister’s chambers where she had worked as a researcher, she still had no idea what she was going to do with her life.

Then she awoke on Castle, over eight months pregnant, disoriented and freezing cold. When she’d accepted the reality of Castle she thought things did appear better in many ways than they were on Earth, and despite no electricity, the Folk seemed to live comfortably. She was constantly telt all Folk were precious, and her pregnancy maekt her doubly desirable as a wife, and there was a good life to be had for her, all she had to do was wish it. She hadn’t gone to the dinner and dance the eve before because she had been tired, and needing to use the facility at least every hour taekt a lot of the pleasure out of life. She wasn’t planning on going to the dance thiseve(42) for the same reasons.

She had eaten an enjoyable dinner in the Refectory and spaken to a number of Folk, some of them men whom she thought she may like to know better, and all these things were occupying her thoughts as she left the Refectory to go to the Master at arms offices. She wasn’t watching her footing carefully enough when she missed her step at the top of a flight of stairs. She would have fallen and possibly fallen down the stairs but for a boy of early teenage years catching her arm before she over balanced.

“Careful, Mum,” he said. The boy blushed at his mistake and telt her, “My mum was expecting, and I forgot I was here and not back at home.”

She had expressed gratitude to him for catching her and telt him her name was Kathleen.

“I’m Niall,” he said. Niall gave her his arm to the bottom of the stairs. She asked him of himself, and he telt her he was thirteen and was staying with the other children with the healers. He was a boy with a lot of growing still to do, yet he was much more at ease regarding being on Castle than she was. She asked him what he was planning to do, and he replied, “I have started working with the dogs for the huntsman, and I want to be a hunter when I’m older. And you?” he asked.

“I worked in an office. At home I had a small garden, and I grew a few vegetables, so I’m going to join the growers craft, but I don’t think I can do much till after my baby is born,” she replied.

This strangely self-possessed boy then telt her, “I lived with my mum. My older brother left home ages ago, and I didn’t really get on with him or my mum. I’d like to be in a family where everybody gets on. I’m not old enough to get married, so I hope I’ll find a family sometime, but I’m probably too old for any one to want, so maybe I’ll have to wait till I’m old enough to start my own family. What are you hoping for?”

A few days before, the idea of having this kind of conversation with a thirteen year old would have been unthinkable to Kathleen, but now their common incomer status was of more significance than their age difference. “I had three grown up children who left home a few years ago. My husband and I didn’t argue or anything like that we just drifted apart and he left.”

“It happens. I never met my dad,” Niall said, with a pragmatic wistfulth(43) that belied his lack of years.

“When I found I was expecting he’d been gone months.” Kathleen telt him, “I should like to get married and have another family, but I haven’t met any one I fancy yet.”

Niall grinned and said, “If I were you, I’d keep shopping around till I found the right one. It’d be a bit difficult to ask for your money back.” Changing the topic of conversation he continued, “Where are you going now? Can I help you there?”

“I’m going shopping for a man at the Master at arms,” Kathleen replied laughing. “And yes I should like your escort please.” She stopped, and Niall thinking her babe was kicking, his mum had always been complaining it maekt walking difficult, waited for her to continue. Kathleen was thinking hard concerning having another family and what that could entail. She was aware despite her pregnancy it was improbable she would conceive again, though if it happened she was sure she would enjoy it now she was on Castle. She looked at Niall who looked back at her with interest and asked him, “Niall, you called me Mum when we met. I know that was an accident, but would you like to live with me and call me Mum all the time? You said you wanted a family, so do I, but I don’t have to find a husband first. I can find my children first.”

Niall, maintaining an iron grip on his emotions, carefully replied, “I was thinking I should love you for my mum and was wondering if I dared to ask.”

Kathleen, put her arms berount him, kissed him, and said, “Now I shall have two sons. The ultra sound revealed I’m going to have a little boy. Would you like some sisters too?”

The pair of them continued across the courtyard, and Niall who couldn’t remember ever having been hugged, never mind kissed, by his mum, and had always felt he just lived with her rather than was a part of a family, replied quietly, “I always wanted to have family, brothers and sisters would be really good.”

“We could give the Master at arms a miss, and go to the healers, and arrange that first. You can collect your things, and we can take a suite of chambers near where I am now for us all. There are lots empty, and we’ve been told they’re available for expanding families as required.”

Niall hugged Kathleen again, and said, “Yes, Mum. You just watch where you put your feet.”

They laught, and Kathleen asked, “How does two sisters sound? One near to you in age and a young one to be near in age to your brother.”

Niall thought and said, “That sounds good. I get a sister to talk to, one to look after and a little brother soon. How soon, Mum?”

“Between and five and ten days I think, maybe a little more. I sort of lost track with arriving here. It may be a good idea when we are at the healers to ask a midwife to give me a check up, and see if they can give me a better idea when I’m due.”

Niall asked anxiously, “There’s nothing wrong is there?”

“No, both I and my baby are fine,” replied Kathleen. She taekt Niall’s hand and pressing it flat to her bump said, “Here, that’s your brother moving. He’s an active and healthy little boy. There’s no cause to worry. It’s just I’d like to be able to walk like a woman again instead of waddling like a duck.” The both laught and continued on their way to the healers. When they arrived, Kathleen telt Pim the healer on duty, why they were there.

He telt her, “We’ve a pair of girls who are close. I know they wouldn’t like to be separatet.(44) Bluebell is eleven and spends a lot of time looking after Sophie who is probably two. Would you like to meet them?”

“Yes please,” replied Kathleen.

Niall could only nod, the whole idea of a mum, and sisters and a brother soon, almost overpowered him, but he was also worried concerning Kathleen and said, “Mum, you said you wanted a check up.”

Kathleen, who was nowhere near as worried regarding her pregnancy as Niall, wished to meet the girls, but realising Niall needed reassuring said, “Yes, of course.” She explained to Pim how Niall had prevented her misstep earlier from becoming a fall, and that she had lost track of her dates and would like a check up, and if possible some idea of when her babe was due.

Pim telt her, “I could examine you myself if you are in a hurry, but I really should prefer you to wait twenty minutes to half an hour, so I can have a midwife examine you in view of how close you are. I suggest we leave the matter of the girls till you have had your examination if that’s acceptable?”

“Yes, we’re not in a hurry,” Kathleen agreed. Pim sent an apprentice healer to find a midwife, and another for some leaf. They spake of Kathleen’s near fall, and she explained that was how Niall and she had met and decided to form a family, and then she explained, “The children and I shall draw up a dad specification.”

They were still laughing at this when the midwife arrived. “Hello, Dear, I’m Suki and like yourself an incomer. I’m a midwife. How can I help you?” Kathleen explained again regarding her misstep and losing track of her dates. “I see. If you follow me we’ll find an examination chamber, and we’ll see what I can tell you. It shouldn’t take long.” Kathleen followed Suki out.

Pim asked Niall what were his intentions concerning a craft. Niall spake of his current activities with the kennel squad and his desire to join the huntsmen when he was old enough. Pim asked him of his former life, and Niall admitted it wasn’t something he missed, especially now he had a mum who loved him. Kathleen hugging and kissing him had forged a filial devotion he had never known before, and what he considered the familial intimacy of feeling his brother’s movements had given him a deep sense of privilege. Pim, who was deeply versed in the archives, still found difficulty understanding how and why Earth had allowed their social and family structures to decay and degenerate to the extent they had. What maekt it so hard for him to understand was when the incomers arrived on Castle most of them became decent Folk because at heart they were decent. He realised Niall was concerned for his mum, and reassured him pregnancy was a normal condition, not an illth,(45) and he was sure Suki would tell Kathleen everything was proceeding as it should.

When Kathleen returned she came without Suki, who had gone to see another mum to be. She telt Niall, “Between fifteen and twenty days is Suki’s best estimate, and both the baby and I are in good health, but she said it could be anywhere between today and six weeks away. Now for your sisters.”

Pim asked a junior healer to ask Bluebell to bring Sophie to see him. The girls arrived in a couple of minutes, and Pim explained to them why he had asked to see them. It was obvious to both Kathleen and Niall the girls were already family to each other, and Niall felt a stab of envy. Bluebell was a tall girl beginning to blossom as a young woman and as Kathleen explained to her the events of her misstep and its subsequent consequences, she looked interestedly at Niall and blushed deeply.

Kathleen telt Bluebell, “If you and Sophie want a mum and a home with an older brother and soon a little brother and a dad too you will be most welcome.”

Niall added, “I always wanted a proper family with brothers and sisters, so please say yes.”

Bluebell blushed again when she looked at Niall, and nodded to Kathleen and Niall saying, “Yes, but I must explain to Sophie.” She explained to Sophie in simple terms what was happening stressing they were going together and yes, Sophie could still have a bed in her chamber. Sophie it appeared was satisfied with the new arrangements, but she had been telt she would have a home and a mum and a dad, and couldn’t understand why Dad wasn’t there.

Kathleen telt her, “First, I found your brother, Niall, then I found you and Bluebell, next we find your dad.” Sophie accepted that, and Kathleen explained to Bluebell how she had been going to find a husband, but had found Niall first.

Pim interrupted to say, “If you will, I’ll send a runner to the Master at arms for you to ask them to organise a suite of chambers, and have some domestic items sent to your new chambers, and the girls’ belongings too. Would you like some help whilst times to organise beds, furniture and aught else, which you may not know the easiest way to acquire?” Kathleen accepted the offers of help and Pim telt her, “I’ll have someone with you in half an hour. Can you manage to return your chamber, or do you wish some help?”

Niall replied he would help Mum, and Bluebell said she would carry Sophie. They expressed gratitude to Pim for his help, and left to go to Kathleen’s chamber before moving to the chambers none of them had been to to make a new home together.

On the way Kathleen asked Niall and Bluebell, “So what kind of a man would you like for a dad, after all he has to meet all our requirements now you know?”

Niall replied, “I never had a dad before, so as long as he’s happy to do things together with me like other dads do with their sons I’ll be happy.”

Bluebell telt them, “My dad was a fireman and he died in an explosion at a fire in a chemical factory. My step dad was a kind man, but it wasn’t the same. He was a lot younger than both my mum and my dad, and I don’t think he could cope with having a daughter as old as I. It wasn’t that we didn’t get on. We did, but we didn’t have anything to say to each other, and I think I embarrassed him somehow. I’d like a proper dad not someone more like an older brother.” Bluebell paused and then continued, “I used to get teased at school for my name, but it’s quite common here. Lots of girls have flower names, and some boys too.”

They arrived back at Kathleen’s chamber still discussing the qualities they wished in a husband and dad, where they waited for the help to arrive. A young woman, who introduced herself as Clœve, arrived and escorted them to their new suite of chambers, where they decided the furniture was appropriate, but they needed a small bed for Sophie that would fit in Bluebell’s chamber. They also required bedding and a lot of other domestic items. Clœve said a small family domestic pack would contain all they wished and a lot more too, and it would enable them to occupy the chambers immediately without a want of aught. Clœve said she would arrange for Sophie’s bed, bedding and the pack to be delivered within the hour, and suggested they go to the Refectory to eat. When they arrived back the goods would have been delivered. They expressed gratitude to Clœve, and said they would go for their first meal together as a family.

On the way to the Refectory, Niall said he still had to collect his possessions, and he would do that thiseve. Bluebell asked if he needed any help, and he telt her if she helped him they could do it in one trip. When telt what was being served, Sophie decided she would like a venison sausage, and when asked what she would like with it, much to the amusement of the kitchener(46) who willingly served her what she wished, she decided on green beans and cherry pie with cream. Kathleen and her elder children were somewhat more conservative and had cockerel and mushroom pie with green beans and boiled waxroots(47) also with cherry pie and cream, but on separate plates.

They sat down to eat with Sophie seated in a beautifully crafted highchair in between Bluebell and Kathleen who both helped her from time to time. Sophie enjoyed her supper and was quite happy to be helped by Kathleen, though, as was to be expected, she spilt a bit of her food. Kathleen was impressed with her manners, constantly saying sorry when she spilt her food and thank you when she was helped. After eating they returned to the chambers, and sure enough the goods were there. They maekt Sophie’s bed up first, and she said she wished to try it. She did and promptly fell asleep.

Bluebell said, “I’m not surprised. She was tired and after that supper, which I was amazed she finished, she’ll sleep till late tomorrow morning now. So if you don’t mind us leaving you, Mum, may we go and fetch Niall’s stuff, and then we’ll help with all this?”

Kathleen telt them, “I’ll have some leaf and a sit down. I’m tired and my feet hurt. We don’t have to put all this away now. Just make the beds, and we’ll do the rest tomorrow.”

Niall telt her to sit down whilst he maekt the leaf. Kathleen gratefully sat down, and when Niall had maekt the leaf he and Bluebell went for his belongings. They were only gone twenty minutes, and when they returned the leaf was still warm. They maekt the beds up, and chatted a little of their former lifes, what Niall had done that afternoon, but mostly of the dreams they had for their futures. All glad to be on Castle and together as a family and looking forward to Kathleen finding a husband and they a dad.

In bed, as Bluebell ran the day’s events over in her mind she could feel the warmth on her flushing face and was grateful there was none there to see it in the dark. She’d experienced an instant attraction to Niall which seemed unnatural if he were to be her brother. Though she’d experienced her menarche half a year before and had become interested in boys half a year before that she easily became flustered in their presence and couldn’t make her mind up whether she was relieved or disappointed that Niall had seemed unaware of her emerging figure. She noticed that when they’d been having spaech his eyes had stayed fixt(48) on hers and at no point had they dropped to take in her breasts. On the whole she liekt boys looking at her from a distance, and preferred it when boys she was talking to didn’t stare at her breasts, but may hap she considered she was growing up a bit, but then again may hap it was just Niall she wanted looking. As she slid into sleep she decided she was a bit disappointed he hadn’t looked. Niall on the other hand was asleep almost as soon as his head touched the pillow.

Word Usage Key

1 Nextday, tomorrow.
2 Highth, height.
3 Spaeking, speaking.
4 Lifes, lives.
5 Lasteve, yesterday evening.
6 Taekt, took.
7 Findt,found.
8 Spaeken, spoken
9 Maekt, made.
10 Flusht, flushed.
11 Interestet, interested.
12 Deepth, depth.
13 Loes, lost.
14 Helpt, helped.
15 Givn, gave.
16 Telt, told.
17 Dancet, danced.
18 Lastnight, last night.
19 Liekt, liked.
20 Decidet, decided.
21 Spaech, speech.
22 Syskonen, siblings. Syskon, sibling.
23 Shaert, shared.
24 Discusst, discussed.
25 Acceptet, accepted.
26 Prepaert, prepared.
27 Threeteen, thierteen.
28 Berount, around.
29 Agreen, agreed.
30 Wifes, wives.
31 Enjoyt, enjoyed.
32 Forgett, forgotten.
33 Pleast, pleased.
34 Dresst, dressed.
35 Undresst, undressed.
36 Thisnight, tonight.
37 Uest, used.
38 Themselfs,themselves.
39 Nextday, tomorrow.
40 Lunecycles, menstrual cycles.
41 Braekfast, breakfast.
42 Thiseve, this evening.
43 Wistfulth, wistfulness.
44 Separatet, separated.
45 Illth, illness.
46 Kitchener, though part of the kitchen staff the kitcheners are a distinct craft comprising kitchen supervisors and their staff of servers, waiters, dish washers and storekeepers.
47 Waxroots, waxy potatoes. Only floury potatoes are usually referred to as starchroots, though the distinction is neither absolute nor strictly adhered to.
48 Fixt, fixed.

up
21 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos