Castle The Series - 0005 Incursion 568

Printer-friendly version

CASTLE THE SERIES - INCURSION 568 - 00000500

TEN BELOW

DAY 1 - THE INCURSION OCCURRED AT 11:46 LASTNIGHT 27th of Towin

.

Though there are numerous prequels and pages of explanation in my manuscript that occur before this, Hwijje and Travisher [written a couple of months ago] and First Incursion [written at least fifteen years ago] were examples of prequel chapters and I am currently working to make the explanations suitable for posting, Incursion 568 is where the series begins. Marcy [chapters 1-6] was posted out of order in order to provide some easier to read story first, so that the explanations make sense, even though it would be done the other way around in printed format.

In four days it will be the longest day, and firstlight is at 01:24 and sunset at 10:48.

Where necessary or possibly helpful to some, there are notes at the end on word usage.

~o~O~o~

28th of Towin

It was full dark, and the young man dresst(1) in heavy furs had desperation in his voice as he struggled to see by the light of his flickering, unshielded candle. “Yew, you must wake! Mercy, Yew, awake!”As Yew fought off his tireth(2) whilst he awakened he realised it was still dark and someone was shaking his shoulder. Trying to make sense of what was happening, he rubbed his bleary eyes and asked, “Who are you? And where in the day are we?(3) And mercy, what’s happening? And light some more candles, so I can see.”

His struggles to sit up awakened his wife who asked, “What is it, Dear?”

On his right shoulder, the young man who had awakened them wore an ornate golden(4) broach in the form of a shield diagonally crossed with a sword and a spear on the opposite diagonal: the insignia of the huntsmen. It was pinned on a green brocade square indicating he was a junior crafter who had sincely(5) completed his apprenticeship. He put his single candle in its holder on the bedside press and after removing the tubular glass draft shield lit the five candles in the yaarle(6) wood candle holder on it with the taper beside them from his before replacing the shield and addressing Yew’s questions in turn. “I’m Allan, a hunter guardian, it’s a quarter over midnight, a good hour before firstlight, and there’s an incursion of incomers nearly four thousand strides to the east, just this side of the north-west end of the Longwood.”

Rowan Yew’s wife, more awake than he now, turned to Allan, who was much embarrassed at seeing her sitting up in her flimsy nightdress in her bedchamber, “Be a dear and pass me my robe,” she pointed to an ornately-flower-patterned, worn to the point of thread barenth(7) in places, much loved and comfortable garment. He grabbed the gown and tried to pass it to her and avert his eyes at the same time, to be telt.(8) “Don’t be flaught,(9) Dear. I’m perfectly decent and old enough to be your grandmother,(10) and I’m sure you’ve seen me naekt when swimming,” which though true didn’t make him feel any easier at all because, despite Yew’s presence, that wasn’t in her bedchamber. After passing the robe to Rowan he turned his back and heard her arise. Much to his further embarrassment she walked round the bed, in front of him and taekt his candle in its holder before leaving.

Despite his tireth, Yew wasn’t surprised to hear the news. The Council had discussed the matter and concluded two years over(11) an incursion was due somewhere in the next decade. He had hoped to have retired before it happened, and it would then have been Siskin’s problem. He also realised after a post-dinner meeting with some of the Council, discussing the almost total failure of the aqueduct water supply which had occurred lastday,(12) no, he corrected himself, it was lastdaysince(13) now, he’d had less than two hours sleep. He slid his legs out of bed, and undressing threw his night clothes behind him, reached for clothes on the nearby chair and started to dress. “Who sent you?”

“The Master at arms. I was the first night guardian he met, and he sayt(14) to tell you he would be here betimes with Will.”

Allan considered it unwise to tell Yew that Will, who was his craft Master, had said, “And if you can’t awake him, Allen, I’ll drag the idle wretch from his bed myself.”

Yew, still trying to awake properly and organise his thoughts, was grateful for the information. If Thomas and Will knew of it things would be beginning to be brought under control. “Who first discovert(15) the incomers?”

“Some of the sheep grazing the Gatherfield for Quarterday are there, and the sheepherds(16) on watch goent(17) to see what had alarmt(18) the dogs and caust(19) them to give tongue at nigh to a quarter to midnight. As I understand it they literally stumbelt(20) over the incomers in the darkth.(21) Though now retiren,(22) clan chief Åse taekt(23) charge and immediately sent for aid and orderet fires to be set and her clansfolk to take all to the warmth, starting with the little ones. They providet(24) what clothing they could and sent for more from the seamstresses’ stores. They also sent messengers for the healers, the night guardians and the Master at arms night staff, all of who had staff there before midnight, but the first aid to arrive came from Outgangside which arrivt(25) within minutes with warm clothes and blankets.”

“So the incomers hadn’t been there long before the sheepherds discovert them?”

“A minute at most Merle bethinkt him,(26) for his dogs were behaving as though a large wolf pack was on them, and the sheepherds on watch reactet(27) immediately and awakent all as quickly too.”

His mind now on the situation, and remembering the results of the Council’s deliberations, Yew started to issue orders, “Awaken the entire Master at arms staff, including his off-duty staff, and all the Huntsman’s staff you can find. Tell as many Councillors as you can find to go to the Council Chamber. Awaken the cooks, kitcheners and chamberers. Send a Master cook here, any Master cook. No! Forget that. Tell the cooks to start cooking emergency food for at least three hundred incomers and probably thrice that number of Folk, but make sure there is someone there competent to take charge till a significant crafter arrives. I don’t care if it’s an apprentice, as long as it’s a competent one. If need be you decide who is in charge, and say I sayt so.

“Awaken store Master Thorn, he needs to gather tents, shelter and aught else he can bethink himself of. Make sure waggon Master Geoffrey and all waggoners at the Keep know what’s happening and to be ready for any who has a want of their services. Tell the infirmary night staff and awaken the healers, herbals and midwifes. Tell all what is going on. Tell them to awaken any they even consider they may need. You won’t be able to do it all yourself, so use younger apprentices for what ever help you need. Don’t take any(28) the craft Masters may need, if need be use older children as runners. That’s probably the best thing to do any hap,(29) so do that, and don’t bother with the younger apprentices. The children will doubtless enjoy the rôle during the emergency.

“You’re crafting directly for me till further notice, so use my name as your authority, but make sure those messages go berount. Allan, you are bearing my authority in this. You are to give the orders because you are the one I shall hold responsible for ensuring that the will of the Council is done. If necessary tell any who challenge you that they are challenging the Council because I sayt so.” Yew looked Allan in the eyes and asked, “You understand me, Allan?”

“Of course, Yew.” Allan was clearly nervous at wearing the mantle of Yew’s and the Council’s authority even if it were only as a messenger, but the privilege and Yew’s trust maekt his heart almost burst with pride and determined him not to let Yew down.

“We can be grateful its mid-summer not winter, but its five heats below out there.”

“Ten, Yew,” Allan corrected him. “Ten below, it’s a calt(30) night and the wind is fierce, but we’re lucky it’s dry.”

“Rowan, Dear,” Yew turned to his wife, who had just returned, now dresst, “would you arrange women to organise some emergency fostering?”

“I’ve been thinking of that, Love. At least we’re better off for nursing mothers than at the time of the last incursion,” she chuckled at a thought, “and we’ve Molly. I’ll go, and I’ll have word sent to you as soon as I can.” She kissed her husband, who was rapidly regaining his normal sense of humour, smiled at Allan and, much to his relief, left.

Yew, continuing to dress, on seeing the look on Allan’s face, remarked, “They’re completely uncontrollable you know.”

“What are?”

“Women. You’d better become uest to it, or you’ll be without agreement(31a) forever. Now, you’d better go.” A much relieved Allan left to carry out his orders meeting Thomas the Master at arms and Will the Master huntsman on their way in.

Will caustically remarked as he entered, “You’d better finish dressing and go to the Council Chamber because this chamber’s far too small for the entire Council, and don’t forget to put some shoon(31b) on, Yew, and check which one goes on which foot.”

Yew, a little embarrassed at being found not fully dresst when Thomas and Will were already dealing with the situation which had given Will the opportunity to make his snide remark relating to Yew’s childhood difficulties with shoes, shouted at the pair of them, “Out! And give a man some saught.”(32) They left laughing at their friend, who, now awake, was totally in command of himself and would shortly be equally in command of the situation. Unlike some previous Ladies and Lords of Castle, Yew was an intelligent man and a superb executive trusted and liekt(33) by the Folk. This wasn’t least because he’d surrounded himself with the best Council he could, even though he didn’t always like all of them. He knew how to delegate, and once he had done so he left his associates to manage things their own way. However, his mastery of many situations was because Rowan was his equal with the womenfolk. They were a talented pair of agreäns.

A few Councillors were in the Council Chamber, and Aaron, known as Aaron the hermit because of his love of solitude and the frugality of his spaech, was sitting at the head of the large Council table acting as chairman till Yew arrived. Though Aaron was a man of perceptions and powers beyond the normal he was a quietly spaken man in his late forties on whom authority sat uneasily. He had almost no possessions, and what he was given he invariably gave away to those with want. He had a minimal use for food, drink or even sleep.

He was belovèd of animals, children, and affluent and poor alike and considered by all to be the current living guardian of the Castle Way. He had lost his intendet,(34) Hester, to the fevers when he was eighteen, and it was said he had never recovered from the loss. What was known was he had never looked for an agreän again. He was well come everywhere, not least because once he had maekt a pronouncement it always seemed so obviously right none could understand why she hadn’t thought of it first. He was incorruptible and the ultimate authority on what was right and proper for the society he served for no reward at all.

As Thomas and Will entered the chamber, along with three tired looking Councillors, one of the Master at arms staff was reporting to the dozen or so Councillors who were there, and Gareth, Thomasʼ deputy and the Council secretary, was taking notes. Gareth usually chaired Council meetings, but he had wished to take the notes himself and anticipated being too busy to chair the meeting as well, so he’d asked Aaron to take his place at least till Yew arrived.

“Geoffrey has loadet(35) a waggon including what Oak Master smith assures us will provide the makings for twenty fires suitable for cooking or heating. Oak has goen(36) with him to supervise their assembly. One of Geoffrey’s long bodyt(37) waggons loadet with two and a half thousand weights of seaburn(38) is on its way, and another is being loadet. Master forester Jacob and his sons have taken a waggon of wood they originally intendet(38) for adit struts, and they have saws and axes with them. They will start cutting as soon as they arrive, and others with less skill have volunteert(40) to split the wood ready for the fires with the spare axes. If more wood is requiert(41) he intends to cut dead trees from the Longwood. He sayt to tell the Council he considert(42) the situation justifyt(43) it.”

Other than clearing fallen trees and branches that had fallen over the trail, the nearest portion of the Longwood had been left untouched since the Fell Year as a nearby source of fuel in case a similar winter occurred again. It was called the Longwood due to the trees that had been planted bringing a long thin section of it nearer to the Keep and more trees were planted every year alongside them. Aaron nodded and said, “I deem Jacob to have adjudgt(44) the situation tightly.”(45) Aaron looked berount him to the Councillors who were nodding and expressing agreement. “Please have him informt,(46) Michael, at the first opportunity that he has Council approval.”

Michael smiled and continued, “Mistress cook Abigail has taken six senior apprentices and at least a dozen junior ones down to the camp with several, I don’t know exactly how many, large soup kettles.(47) Head cook Milligan says he won’t be joining you here, he is staying at the kitchens to manage affairs there. Basil likewise will not be here, he is managing the readying of chambers for newfolk. Milligan will be sending the food requiert down to the incursion site with some of Basil’s and his own younger apprentices. One of Geoffrey’s sons is taking the food and the apprentices to the site in one of his smaller waggons. There is potable water available on site from a stream that runs into the Little Arder, and Oak has arrangt(48) with Geoffrey and Irvine Master miner for a large water tank to be taken to the camp, and instalt(49) by Irvine’s apprentices who are going to fill it and also dig latrines under the supervision of Master well digger Harris. There will be supplies to last a tenner, and we don’t expect to have to re-provision. I bethink me that concludes the matter of fire, fuel, food and water.”

“I am obligt,(50) Michael,” said Aaron. Whimsically Thomas wondered if Aaron knew the name of every citizen of Castle, or if he picked their names straight out of their owner’s heads, which was a disconcerting thought.

Will interrupted, “I have a mixt squad of a dozen trackers and hunters out with instructions to take all kill to the cooks at the incursion site for the next two days.”

Aaron expressed gratitude to Will, and as another of the Master at arms staff came forward to report said, “Yes please, Fern.”

Fern was a middle aegt woman still muffled gainst the biting caltth(51) outside, and she was helped to remove her heavy overcoat. She was seen to be a small, dark, elegant looking woman of less than five feet tall and of half the size of her overcoat. When she spake(52) she had a sweet light voice of a woman half her age. “It was difficult to be exact in the dark with just a few torches, but there are near two hundred and eighty persons of all ages in this incursion, and we presuemt(53) there would also be the usual vegetable materials and animals. The healer’s staff and over four hundred volunteers, mercy knows how they managt(54) to find that many volunteers so quickly in the middle of the night, but there can’t be any still abed at Outgangside, searcht(55) to a farth(56) of a thousand strides in all directions with searchers no more than a few strides apart, but all the incomers were findt(57) to be lying on the ground within a circle of no more than one hundred and twenty strides across, which agrees with all the archives.

“Most are still disorientet(58) and easy to handle. We helpt(59) the sheepherds to collect them all together near the fires, and those on the outside edge were given heavy coats first. Vinnek had just arrivt with a waggon of heavy clothing from the seamstresses’ stores as I left, and he and his apprentices are staying to help Geoffrey and Thorn. Many incomers are dangerously calt, but none have suffert(60) deepcaltth.(61) We hadn’t loes(62) any when I left, and the healers don’t consider we shall. The searchers collectet(63) all they deemt(64) to be younger than twelve years of age, some sixty or so, of whom may hap a dozen are babes. The children were all taken straightforth to the Keep as they were findt, but most were together and reasonably warm due to the sheepherds’ immediate care to them. All will be on their way to the infirmary now, if they are not here already, and Mistress healer Iris is organising things at the infirmary for the children. As is usual, according to the archives, the children are without parents.

“There are twenty-one obviously pregnant, of whom some are still girls themselfs, and some of them must be close to birthing. There may be more, and Mistress midwife Margæt is going to make enquiries and will be assisting them. The two distresst(65) nursing mothers who have left their babes behind have been taken to the Keep, and I’m telt they will be given one of the incursion babes to nurse. Again there may be more and Margæt will enquire and assist. There are near twenty elders whom the healers’ volunteers are helping to the Keep, and Mistress healer Gilla has charge of the care to them. More healer staff will be going to the incursion site after the children and elders are maekt safe. Mistress Abigail has been given calming herbs(66) by the herbals to add to the leaf.(67)

“Incomer and Folk alike are being given the herbt(68) leaf to counteract the worst of the caltth and the shock. The sheepherds telt us there was a large pile of materials in sacking nearby which they had presuemt(69) to be plants and seeds and they had already sent a runner to Mistress grower Alsike. The growers were loading them onto handcarts when I left. The sheepherds also telt me there were a number of animals sheltering from the wind at the edge of the wood which they had presuemt were part of the incursion, and they had also sent a runner to Mistress animal husbander Alfalfa. I believe the animal husbanders will collect them later with horses and dogs, but I know no more. That’s all we’d had time to determine when I left, Aaron.”

“Gratitude, Fern,” said Aaron, with a gesture of satisfaction. Yew came in then, closely followed by several cooks and kitcheners(70) with leaf, hot soup and cold-meat bannocks.(71) Aaron standt(72) and offered the chair to Yew, but Yew waved him back into it. Aaron would have preferred Yew to take the chair, but accepted Yew would prefer taking a more informal rôle rather than chairing the meeting.

Deputy Head cook, Gibb, apologised on behalf of Milligan. “The bannocks and the soup were all we could provide immediately, but we’ve food in the ovens which will be here in twenty minutes, along with some of the first batch of thisday’s(73) manchettes.(74) We’ve near twenty extra volunteers helping, and extra cooks and kitcheners are arriving at the kitchens as fast as Allan’s squads of messengers can awaken them. I bethink me he must have every child in the Keep above eight, and not a few a long way from that, dragging folk out of bed. Basil is taking some of the volunteers to prepare chambers, and we’re using the rest in the Refectory to feed any helping with the incursion. They’ll need it, it’s a raw night with a ferocious wind.”

After expressing gratitude to Gibb and the others, Yew taekt a mug of soup and a couple of bannocks. He was pleased to hear of Allan’s squads of children and maekt a mental note to tell Will that Allan was due some reward for his diligence and organisation.

Three men all wearing chamberers’ insignia entered the Council chamber, two of them pulling a large and heavy metal cart. They clearly hadn’t expected any to be there. “Goodforenoon, Happith, Kroïn, Mako,” Aaron said gently to the three men.

Happith, a small, middle aegt, round-faced, smiling, blue eyed man with long blond hair that reached half way down his back which was caught with a leather thong at his neck, said, “Goodforenoon, Aaron,” but Kroïn and Mako, the two huge men who had brought the cart in, just nodded. Happith was obviously wondering what to say next, and the Council waited patiently. “It’s over(75) bedtime, Aaron. We have to take the ash from the fireplace, but you lit the fire.”

The Councillors tried not to smile at Happith’s suggestion they should be in bed, and not preventing him and his companions from carrying out their crafting. They left it to Aaron to deal with the situation. The three men were members of Basil’s firekeepers and, like a number of Basil’s and Milligan’s staffs, had various levels of intellectual impairment. Since Aaron was best to deal with them without upsetting them the other Councillors just smiled. Happith, the ganger,(76) looked to Aaron whilst his slack jawed companions waited. “There has been an incursion of newfolk, Happith, and Yew has telt us to meet here to decide what it is best to do. We were calt, so we lit the fire.”

Happith beamed at Yew and Aaron. He understandt regards authority, and Yew was the ultimate authority, so everything was as it should be, yet nervously he asked, “Will you tell Basil we had to leave the ash, Aaron?”

“I shall do that for you, Happith, don’t worry.”

“Gratitude, Aaron. How long will you be here, Aaron?”

“Probably all night and most of nextday,(77) Happith. Why?”

Happith looked to the fuel bins and said, “You’ll become calt when the wood and the seaburn is all burnt, Aaron.”

Aaron without a trace of a smile on his face asked, “What do you suggest, Happith?”

Happith thought of it and suggested diffidently, “We could leave collecting ash for a while and bring some for you if you would explain to Basil?”

“That would be kind of you, and I shall explain to Basil,” Yew telt him.

Happith beamed again, “Our gratitude to you, Yew, Aaron.”

“Would the three of you like a mug of leaf whilst you are here?” Yew asked.

The three men all looked terrified at the idea of taking leaf with the Council, and Happith replied, “Gratitude, Yew, but we’d better not, for Camilla will have leaf maekt ready for us in the kitchens.” After his diplomatic reply, he indicated to his companions to follow him out with the cart, and they left in a hurry.

The Councillors were almost as relieved as the three when the firekeepers had gone. “I maekt a mistake asking if they wisht leaf, didn’t I?” remarked Yew. The entire room nodded and smiled in sympathy at Yew’s ill judged kindth.(78)

“I don’t know how you do it, Aaron.” Will said. “I never know how to have spaech with them, and I’m always worryt(79) I’ll upset them without meaning to.” A number of Councillors nodded in sympathy with Will too.

Aaron smiled, “Slowly, Will, with patience, and I keep reminding myself how necessary they are to my personal comfort.” There were nods of agreement berount the chamber at that. Basil’s firekeepers fulfilled an important function, and in winter it was so vital they were reinforced by large numbers of volunteers. “Do we know yet what the situation is concerning the tents and shelter?” Aaron enquired, looking berount to see if any could reply.

An excited looking boy of near ten with a high treble voice and the look of Geoffrey the waggoner responded, “I’m Godfrey, Geoffrey the waggoner’s son. My eldest brother, Geoffrey, goent with a big, low-bed waggon to the Gather store to collect them. Store Master Thorn is supervising the loading and is going to the incursion site with them. Geoffrey has most of the apprentices and the rest of my brothers with him, there are twelve of them.” Somewhat defensively, he continued, “I’m the youngest, so I was sent to report. May I go and help them now?”

“You do that, Godfrey,” Aaron replied kindly, not wishing to offend Godfrey’s emerging sense of manhood, for he clearly wished to do what he thought of as the man’s task, with his brothers, rather than be the boy messenger.

“Two hundred at most then,” stated Thomas.

“Explain please,” asked Yew.

“We’ve all the children under twelve here at the Keep. The healers will doubtless bring the twelve to fourteen year olds to the Keep as they find them. It was decidet(80) two years over, you may remember, to regard all over fourteen of their years as adult since their fourteen to eighteen year olds can be difficult, and we may wish to apply the adult sanctions the Way then allows. So that means two hundred and twenty adult incomers at most. The archives tell us the elders have never been seriously challenging, so that leaves near two hundred. We shall only bring the vulnerable to the Keep. The archives advise, and it seems sensible, all unplacet,(81) non-vulnerable adult incomers remain where it is easier to ward them and they’re constantly remindet(82) of their situation. It is unfortunate and uncomfortable, but not serious, for the future Folk, but it is the safest way to handle the uncoöperative.”

The Council realised Thomas was tactfully referring to any for whom he may have to issue a deadth warrant. There were general nods and expressions of agreement berount the chamber, and Yew indicated he was to continue. “We are informt by the archives the shock of incursion renders most of the incomers amenable to acceptance of the Way, and their assimilation into the Folk will happen rapidly, despite any grief they’re suffering as a result of separation from their lovt ones. The archives also advise proceeding with their assimilation into the Folk, both personal and craft placements, as quickly as possible as the best way to minimise difficulties for Folk and incomers alike.

“At truedawn, [02:24] most of my general staff will be going to the camp to have spaech with the incomers individually with a view to having both personal and crafting placement preferences notet(83) as soon as possible, and they will note aught else they consider to be relevant. I have telt them, if necessary, to invoke the emergency authority given my office during an incursion to take note takers from wherever they can. After the midday meal, we shall call a meeting and explain what we can to them of Castle and the Way. We can’t leave this till nextday since there are only four days to second Quarterday, and we need them to understand Quarterday appearances. After the meeting my staff will continue having spaech with the incomers.”

“I doubt your staff will need to invoke your emergency authority, Thomas, since as you have hearet,(84) the Folk are willing to assist, but what of any incomers unwilling to go to your meeting?” The spaeker(85) was Pilot, Rowan’s father, a retired ship Master who was a long serving member of the Council. Pilot was a wise, one-eyed, grizzle-haired, heavily snow-white bearded seventy-seven year old who spake little, but when he did it was always to the point, and oft uncomfortable.

“Will?” asked Thomas.”

“I’ll make sure they are there,” replied the huntsman, with a feral grin on his face.

Pilot looked to Thomas, “My apologies, Thomas. I’m not questioning your decisions, but we needet(86) to be sure we had thinkt through the means to enforce those decisions should it be necessary.”

Thomas shrugged and said, “No apology due. I am glad you raist(87) the issue, Pilot, that’s why we have the Council.”

Will laught,(88) “Pilot, I suggest we have spaech after this meeting to share any ideas we may have concerning the safety of the Folk.”

“I agree,” Pilot said, with a grim expression on his face. The rest of the Council, including Thomas, knew Will and Pilot would take what ever steps they considered necessary to protect the Folk, be they however ruthless or unpleasant. They were grateful Will and Pilot would do so, but did not wish to know the details, and were happy to overlook their remarks and press on. Yew was one with the pair, and he knew, from Will’s and Pilot’s quick glances in his direction, they would include him in their deliberations. Neither was a respecter of conventions, but they were perceptive, able and deeply committed to the weäl(89) of the Folk. Yew’s friendship with Will went back to swaddling(90) days, but his relationship with Pilot went beyond that. Pilot, as her father, had the ability to enable Rowan, a fiercely independent woman, to accept both Yew’s commitment to the weäl of the Folk and more importantly his deep, but not always within his ability to express, love for and commitment to her.

“By eve meal thisday,” Thomas continued, “we should know a lot more. With luck we shall have begun placing some of the incomers. We should also have a much better idea of the scale of any potential problems.”

Just then Rowan entered the chamber. “I can’t stay. I’m on my way to have spaech with Gilla and came to tell you we’ve the babes in a crèche in a first floor chamber in the infirmary. Molly is organising fourty-odd(91) nursing mothers, and they are creating a nursing rota. All the babes have been nurst(92) at least once. Some were desperately hungry, probably due to the caltth, and we were relievt(93) all were willing to accept another woman’s breast, though some initially had difficulty nursing. One of the two nursing mothers who have left their babes behind, who have both acceptet(94) a babe, telt us on Earth many babes were fedd(95) from a bottle with maekt milk rather than nurst at the breast, and sayt that would explain their initial difficulty.” Rowan shook her head in perplexity, but continued with a smile, “I’m not going to repeat Molly’s reaction to that. Suffice it to say I am certain Briar would have been shockt(96) to discover she could curse like that. It’s a good thing it’s second Quarterday in five days, we may be able to place some of the children in families.”

“Four, Love,” Yew corrected her, “four not five days, when the Mother rises it will be four days.”

“We’d better hurry then hadn’t we?” she responded, with a sparkle in her eyes as she bristled in reaction to Yew’s correction. Her eyes flickered, unseen, to her dad’s impassive face, and after a moment she resumed calmly, “There are just short of fifty children. We’ve given them dorter accommodation above the babes.” She grimaced as if in pain, and continued, “Some of them have been trett(97) badly. I know the archives tell us to expect it, but it’s different when you see it. Apart from a group of four sisters none of the others seem to know each other, and guess what?” She gurgled with amusement, “Rosy, wife to Geoffrey the waggoner, has taken the four sisters to daughter. They’re twelve, eight, seven and five years old. The eldest sayt they were recent orphans and had been placed with four different sets of foster parents.

“Rosy was incensed at that and sayt, ‘No more! You stay together from now. I’ve six sons and loes all hope of daughters. Will you to be my girls with six brothers most of whom are older than you? My man Geoffrey like any other man here would be proud of you.” The girls were tearful, but I bethink me relievt they could be together, and they askt of their brothers.” When Rosy telt Geoffrey, all he sayt was he’d suffer any price for the relief at not having to suffer all that forsickth(98) any longer, but he’s as pleast(99) as could be, strutting like a lekking(100) blackcock.(101) He goent home so he could give them something to eat, and he tuckt(103) them in bed himself before going back to the incursion site. They seem settelt,(104) but of course they’re still shockt. Mercy knows how those boys of his will take it. Thinking of it though, they’ll probably love it just like Geoffrey, they’re all chips of his block aren’t they? I have to go. Gilla’s helpers are settling the elders, and I sayt I’d help organise the bedding.” She kissed her husband and her dad and hurried away.

It was quarter over one in the forenoon, an hour since Yew had been awakened, and only, as far as any could tell, half an hour more than that since the incursion had occurred. But already the most vulnerable had been maekt safe, and within another hour all would be under shelter with hot food, warm clothing and bedding. The four girls, Rosy and Geoffrey’s new daughters, had been placed. It was an auspicious start, though from having read the archives, Yew was aware there would be serious problems to be dealt with in the near future. But, as Rowan had said, Quarterday was only days away, and Castle had a very good Council at the moment. They would deal with what ever happened in what ever way they had to. It would be firstlight in a few minutes and truedawn in less than an hour, far too early in the day to be making predictions. For the next hour, there was no further news from the camp.

By this time, all the Council had been contacted, and though some Councillors, like Vinnek, Rowan, Milligan, Basil and Gosellyn the Mistress healer would be dealing with the practicalities of the incursion, all who were going to arrive had arrived. None had eaten before they convened, and they were pleased to see hot food. Milligan’s cooks had excelled themselfs, and the extended pre-dawn working braekfast(105) was still being eaten when the first rays of truedawn braekt(106) through the ice coated casements. Happith and his gang had brought two loads of wood and one of seaburn, and Happith had said he would tell the next gang to bring more of both at what he called ‘proper braekfast time’. He clearly didn’t approve of eating braekfast in the middle of the night. By the time the Councillors had finished eating and the kitcheners were clearing the table runners were starting to arrive from the incomer camp and various other places too.

Young Godfrey arrived first, still excited and somewhat breathless. “I’ve four sisters now, and I’m not the youngest any more.” Godfrey having telt the Council what he considered to be the most important things first, which maekt them smile and remember being young, drew a breath and continued. “The tents, windbraeks and groundsheets have all been unloadet.(107) The biggest Gather tent is up, and all the incomers are inside it. It’s a bit crowden(108) because a lot of them have lien(109) down, but it’s warm in there, and there’s enough bedding and warm clothing for them all. Dad sayt to tell you though the wind is making putting them up difficult, the light is making things easier, and he’s enough persons aiding to have the rest up within an hour, and the windbraeks will all be up within three hours. Oak sayt to tell you he has five fires built and lit, and they will only need another five which will be built and lit within the hour.”

Yew, noticing Godfrey looked as if he wished to say something more but was uncertain of its reception, telt him, “Carry on, Godfrey, tell us everything. You’re just the messenger, what ever it is it’s not your fault.”

“There’re some bad men there, Yew,” Godfrey said quietly, looking as if he expected to be reprimanded for his forwardth.(110)

“Gratitude for that, Godfrey, but please keep it to yourself for the moment.”

“Of course, Yew, but it won’t make any difference, for it’s obvious. May I go back to help now?”

“Of course,” replied Yew neutrally.

When Godfrey had left, Will turned to Yew and sighed wearily, “As spaken by babes and weäns.(111) The archives did warn us.”

A sprightly and pretty young woman of sixteen or so with shoulder longth, honey blonde hair, violet eyes and a slight limp came in, and Aaron indicated she was to spaek. “I’m Lianna apprentice healer. I’ve just come from Gilla who has charge of care to the elders. She sayt to say there are twenty-one elders, sixteen men and five women. One of the women is confuest,(112) she appears to have had a stroke and will need a lot of care. The others are neither confuest nor excessively frail. They all seem to have acceptet they have somehow left Earth, and are now on Castle. They’re all tiren(113) and exhaustet(114) from the caltth, but despite their shock none have suffert deepcaltth. We’ve chambert(115) them in the old stable yard quarters because there are no stairs there and a number of them would find stairs difficult. Gilla sayt they should all have recovert(116) by this time nextday. Gosellyn sayt to tell you she will be with you as soon as she can.” Yew expressed gratitude to her, and she left saying she had to return, but via the herbals as she had a list of things Gilla wished.

A thin, gangling youth of a least six feet and a span tall indicated he wished to report, and Yew recognising him as a newly apprenticed Keep cook asked, “What have you to tell us, Gren?”

“W—w—w—we’ve the k—k—kitchen completet,(117) Yew.” Yew reflected Gren’s stutter wasn’t usually that bad, but thought it was probably because of the number of Councillors listening, which would make him nervous.

“Gratitude, Gren. Have the food supplies arrivt?”

“Yu—yu—yu—yes, and tu—tu—two deer.”

“Gratitude again.” Gren loosed out through the door like an arrow looking awfully glad to be away from such prestigious company.

“How old is that boy?” asked Thomas.

“He’s a man now at just turnt(118) fourteen,” replied Yew.

“He lookt(119) terrifyt,”(120) said Hazel, another long time Council member. She had long, entirely silver-white hair held back by an antique engraved and black-enamelled silver ring. She was nearer ninety than eighty, and as she was pleased to tell any who cared to listen she had changed Yew’s swaddling many a time.

“That’s naught,” Pilot remarked drily. “You should see his face when my granddaughter Maisy’s eldest is any where near him, he looks like a coney(121) in front of a stoat.” Seeing the expression of perplexity on some faces, he continued, “The man’s doomt.(122) She’ll have him to husband. He just doesn’t know it yet. Lind’s been trying to find him on his own to do some serious persuading for lunes now, but he runs like a hare every time he sees her. He’s best just accepting it because like all women determint on agreement she’ll have him in the end. As I sayt, the man’s doomt.”

There was a bout of general laughter, which considerably lightened the atmosphere which had been intense since they had convened. That of course, was exactly why the usually silent Pilot had telt the tale. Though there were probably few in the Council other than Will and Yew who appreciated that. Will looked at Yew and the pair smiled at their shared thought. Roberta Rowan’s mother and Pilot’s first wife had dien when he was fifty-eight. Much to the amusement of his family, fifteen year old Sarn, a pretty and curvaceous woman whom many wished agreement with, moved in to his bed when he was sixty after having fruitlessly pursued him for half a year. She had telt family she had given the man of her choice an ultimatum, “You either do your best to make me pregnant or you sleep elsewhere.” She was a devoted mother and a loving wife, and six children later she was still giving him the same ultimatum. It was widely known Pilot, a tough and oft difficult man, was as dough in her hands, for he was still as besotted with his wife as she was with him. What maekt it all the more amusing was Sarn had taken a leaf out of her Aunt Hwijje’s book who had done exactly the same with the widowed Travisher some thirty years before.

A tall and solidly built young woman wearing miners’ insignia strode into the chamber. She was over six feet tall, near twenty-five, big boned and looked exceedingly strong. She had a musculature more appropriate to a man than a woman, though her full curves and ample bosom proclaimed her sex for all to see. She had short-cut, light-blonde hair, deep blue eyes and attractive rather than pretty features. Nodding at Yew in respect, she delivered her report in a crisp, no nonsense manner to Aaron, “I’m Petal, Mistress miner. We’ve not long receivt(123) information that came ahorse that the nearer tunnel of the water supply has collapst(124) which is what has caust the problem. Irvine and Nightshade Master mazun(125) are organising a workforce and the equipment needet to investigate the situation prior to going to the tunnel, and I’m deputising for Irvine. We’ve Oak’s tank in place and have it pumpt(126) full of water. The tank will be enough for the camp for may hap a day and a half. I’ve given instructions for the pump to be left there and four apprentices to go down there early every day to refill it till they’re telt not to. The latrines are nearly all finisht,(127) but there are enough finisht for the now. I must go. The craft has a want of me.” Yew expressed gratitude to her, and she left as suddenly as she had arrived. The chamber felt decidedly larger after she had gone.

“That is a lot of woman!” remarked Hazel, looking at the door through which Petal had left.

“Yes,” said Thomas, “she’s Irvine’s chosen successor, wife to Leven the poet and is twice his size. They have two daughters.” There was no response.

The conversation was a bit desultory after that, and by mid-forenoon Yew realised they had accomplished as much as they were going to in that session. He announced it was probably best if they braekt the meeting and went back to their various duties, or better yet had some sleep, and reconvened in the late afternoon. He looked at Thomas, “At what time will your office be ready to report after the afternoon interviews?”

“I’d like to give them as long as possible, so they can go over the information and I can consider what to do next before presenting a summary for discussion. I like to reconvene here at six and dine here as and when convenient?”

“Sounds sensible to me, Thomas. Are we all agreen?”(128) Yew asked. There was agreement and no dissensions. “Agreen then, six it is.” Yew turned back to Thomas, “Milligan’s going love you.” Amidst shouts of laughter, they left the chamber.

Notes on Word Usage

1 Dresst, dressed.
2 Tierth, tiredness.
3 Where in the day. Folk expression indicating the time of day. Where in the day are we is equivalent to, What is the time? or What time is it?
4 Golden, in Folk usage, made of gold. The word never refers to a gold coloured object, and gilding is not done. An object either is maekt of pure gold or it is not gold. Alloys of gold are not maekt. Silvern carries the same implications for silver.
5 Sincely, recently.
6 Yaarle, a highly figured, rare and expensive wood.
7 Barenth, baredness.
8 Telt, told.
9 Flaught, foolish or silly.
10 Grandmother, could be either maternal or paternal grandmother.
11 Two years over, two years ago.
12 Lastday, yesterday.
13 Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
14 Sayt, said.
15 Discovert, discovered.
16 Sheepherd, shepherd.
17 Goent, went.
18 Alarmt, alarmed.
19 Caust, caused.
20 Stumbelt, stumbled.
21 Darkth, darkness.
22 Retiren, retired.
23 Taekt, took.
24 Providet, provided.
25 Arrivt, arrived.
26 Bethinkt him, he thought. Thought is only a noun in Folk.
27 Reactet, reacted.
28 Any, any one or any body.
29 Any hap, any how or any way.
30 Calt, cold an adjective, never uest as a noun. Caltth is the noun, equivalent to coldness.
31a Without agreement, unmarried.
31b Shoon, shoes
32 Saught, ease, peace also reconciliation.
33 Liekt, liked.
34 Intendet, intended. In this context fiancée or fiancé, the person whom one intends to marry.
35 Loadet, loaded.
36 Goen, gone.
37 Bodyt, bodied.
38 Seaburn, sea coal.
39 Intendet, intended.
40 Volunteert, volunteered.
41 Requiert, required.
42 Considert, considered.
43 Justifyt, justified.
44 Adjudgt, adjudged.
45 Tightly, can mean soundly, properly, well or effectively depending on the context.
46 Informt, informed.
47 Kettle, term uest for a deep cooking utensil, anything from a small saucepan to a huge cauldron.
48 Arrangt, arranged.
49 Instalt, installed.
50 Obligt, obliged.
51 Caltth, the noun uest for cold or coldness. Calt is the adjective which is uest for cold.
52 Spake, spoke.
53 Presuemt, presumed.
54 Managt, managed.
55 Searcht, searched.
56 Farth, distance.
57 Findt, found.
58 Disorientet, disoriented.
59 Helpt, helped.
60 Suffert, suffered.
61 Deepcaltth, hypothermia.
62 Loes, lost.
63 Collectet, collected.
64 Deemt, deemed.
65 Distresst, distressed.
66 Herbs, generic term for medication, may be poultice, extract or even green leaf, the term may apply to roots or any other material uest by the healers.
67 Leaf, a mildly stimulating herbal drink equivalent to tea or coffee maekt from the leafs of several plant products, including roots and seeds as well as leafs.
68 Herbt, herbed or containing herbs, i.e. medicated. A lesser usage indicates flavoured with culinary herbs.
69 Assuemt, assumed.
70 Kitchener, though part of the kitchen staff the kitcheners are a distinct craft comprising kitchen supervisors and their staff of servers, waiters, dish washers and storekeepers.
71 Bannocks, small flat individually baked loafs of bread.
72 Standt, stood.
73 Thisday, today.
74 Manchette, a small round high quality loaf baked without using a tin.
75 Over bedtime, past bedtime.
76 Ganger, one who is in charge of a gang of persons, a supervisor.
77 Nextday, tomorrow.
78 Kindth, kindness.
79 Worryt, worried.
80 Decidet, decided.
81 Unplacet, unplaced.
82 Remindet, reminded.
83 Notet, noted.
84 Hearet, heard.
85 Spaeker, speaker.
86 Needet, needed.
87 Raist, raised.
88 Laught, laughed.
89 Weäl, well being.
90 Swaddling, term uest on Castle for nappies and not for wrapping cloths as in its original meaning on Earth.
91 Fourty, forty.
92 Nurst, nursed as in at the breast.
93 Relievt, relieved.
94 Acceptet, accepted.
95 Fedd, fed.
96 Shockt, shocked.
97 Trett, treated, past tense of treat, pronounced tret, trɛt.
98 Forsickth, originally forenoon sickth but now contracted, morning sickness.
99 Pleast, pleased.
100 Lek, at dawn in the spring, blackcock(101) gather in a group called a lek. They strut berount (102) in areas that are uest every year and display whilst making a distinctive mating call to entice grayhens (101) to mate. They are said to be lekking.
101 Blackcock, a male game bird of the grouse family with a very distinctive courtship ritual, called a lek, the females are known as grayhens.
102 Berount, around.
103 Tuckt, tucked.
104 Settelt, settled.
105 Braekfast, pronounced as two words, braek fast, (break fast), rather than breckfast.
106 Braekt, broke.
107 Unloadet, unloaded.
108 Crowden, crowded.
109 Lien, lain.
110 Forwardth, forwardness.
111 As spaken by babes and weäns, very old Folk expression equivalent to, out of the mouths of babes and sucklings. A babe is a child still being breast fed and a weän is a young child who has been weaned, in theory any way, off the breast. Weäns pronounced wee + anns, (wi:anz).
112 Confuest, confused.
113 Tiern, tired.
114 Exhaustet, exhausted.
115 Chambert, chambered, roomed or provided them with rooms,
116 Recovert, recovered.
117 Completet, completed.
118 Turnt, turned.
119 Lookt, looked.
120 Terrifyt, terrified.
121 Coney, an adult rabbit.
122 Doomt, doomed.
123 Receivt, received.
124 Collapst, collapsed.
125 Mazun, mason
126 Pumpt, pumped
127 Finisht, finished.
128 Agreen, agreed.

up
26 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The post seems to have

Brooke Erickson's picture

The post seems to have vanished

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks