One Girl's Meat

Printer-friendly version

ONE GIRL’S MEAT

I can’t remember when I first ate surströmming;I remenber eating it at the age of four and I’ve been eating it all my life. I know Keith Floyd, the UK food writer and TV presenter, when he tried it said he’d rather eat rotten mushrooms washed down with a glass of bleach, he actually put that in one of his books! which I thought a little harsh, even though in Sweden, the part I lived in anyway, it is normal to eat it outside and on specified days of the year, so that you don’t upset your neighbours with the pungent smell, and those families who do eat it use cutlery and crockery kept for no other purpose as it can leave residual flavour that taints even modern stainless steels. German food critic and author Wolfgang Fassbender wrote that, “The biggest challenge when eating surströmming is to vomit only after the first bite, as opposed to before.” Strange man! But doubtless he considered a diet heavy on sausages, boild cabbage and mustard to be the norm. I've never trusted people who like cabbage.

I remember one particular day when we, my entire family, were eating it. That day the UK prime minister Harold Macmillan was on an official visit to Stockholm at the time, June 1962 I believe though I stand ready to be corrected on that, and all the national dishes were served up at the official banquet, including surströmming complete I suppose with with its traditional accompaniments: boiled potatoes, diced onion, sour cream and dill or maybe even served in buttered tunnbröd. I have often wondered how he fared for he would not have been eating it with the best accompanyments of all: good friends, plenty to drink, music and dancing, and politicians are in the main poor, dull and dry company.

What is it? How does it come about? Sur means sour or pickled, brine fermented if you like, and strömming is herring, so there you have it - pickled herring. However it bears little resemblance to the pathetically bland roll mop, and even less to the Dutch version of tem which contain sugar.

In years gone by when in places like what is now Germany, Denmark and Britain pigs were eaten down to the squeak due to poverty, Baltic herring had the same treatment in Sweden, especially salted Baltic herring. It was bubbling by the time the bottom of the barrel was reached at the end of winter or early spring when there was little else to eat. It has now, like tripe, black pudding, crubeens, chitterlings, elder and various other unmentionables like the USA prairie oyster, no not the hangover cure - the real deal freshly gelded steer testicles, become an expensive delicacy, and is only sold in tins, both ends convex with the gas pressure of course; fermented salt herring, surströmming. I love it, but it has cost me more than one boyfriend.

~o~O~o~

up
70 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

In Viet-Nam

erin's picture

In Viet Nam they call it nuoc-mam and use it like Americans use ketchup. :) In Rome they called it garum and conquered a world by mixing it into their barley and leeks. In China they called it ke-tsiap... that sounds familiar? :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Are y'all talkin about fish sauce?

laika's picture

I wouldn't put the stuff on a hamburger but it really perks up plain rice and/or what I call the catfish mcnuggets down at my town's otherwise pretty unremarkable China Diner. In Thomas Pynchon's MASON & DIXON there was a running joke about one of the surveyors wanting to put Indonesian "ket jap" on everything, and the other thinking he was a barbarian for liking this heathen condiment...

More of a blog than a story, Eolwaen, but entertaining nonetheless...
~hugs + anchovie paste, Veronica

I think I'll pass.

Daphne Xu's picture

"... it has cost me more than one boyfriend." Boyfriends come and go, but one's favorite dish? (Or one of them?) Never.

-- Daphne Xu

surströmming

Definitely NOT fish sauce. Search for surströmming, surstromming or surstrumming on youtube. WARNING graphic vomitting scenes on some clips. Some would say don't do this at home and only when there is a responsible adult around, though I'm in full agreement with Daphne Xu on this one.

Regards to all,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen

One girls meat

Is surstromming anything like lutefisk?

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Lutefisk

No. Lutefisk is fish treated with alkali, originally leached from wood ashes. It is jelly like.
Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen

Rather bland

but supposedly helps digesting all the fat food eaten around Christmas

Lutefisk

Speaking from living with my Norwegian family for a while, the "secret" to lutefisk is proper preparation (its time consuming) and cooking. Its far too easy to make badly. Most Norwegians know how to prepare it, but that's not what you'll get in the places that cater to tourists.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Surstromming smells...

I don't know if the following story is true or not. I read the story while living in Germany for a few years.
A Swedish couple moved to the former West Germany, and rented a small apartment in a typical German house - the owner had the largest of the four apartments. The couple ate surstromming once in the apartment, and the owner told them "if you do this again, I'll have you evicted". The Swedes ate surstromming a second time, and the eviction procedure ended up i court. The judge thought "it cannot be that bad", and asked the Swedes to bring a can of surstromming to the court. They were then asked to open the can in front of the judge - which they did.
They were evicted...

My father told a story

erin's picture

He was in Korea in 1946 (yes, before the Korean War). A fellow in his unit got a care package from Minnesota which included a can of really smelly fish. Dad didn't know the name of it but it sounds like the same stuff. It smelled so bad, they made the guy eat it outside but he spilled some of it on the back porch of the hooch. Dad said they had to tear up the board and burn it to get rid of the smell. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

surströmming

Now I know we are talking about the same thing!
Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen

Decontamination time

A family I know used to have a secondary residence outside Stockholm where they lived in summer. However, the house was not insulated and thus not fit to live in during winter. The last thing they did after moving out in late August was to have a surströmmingsskiva (surströmming party) in the house. The house was then closed until around April or May. When coming back there was only a faint smell of surströmming.

As to eating surströmming it's actually better to eat it in a closed space. Your nose will be knocked out after about a quarter of an hour and you will not be bothered by the smell any longer. A warning though, you should NOT leave the room and then come back.

Frankly speaking, surströmming really is far superior to hákarl.

Another Bru Story?

Daphne Xu's picture

It seems to me that Bru could possibly write one of his stories, involving Surströmming somehow as his trademark twist.

-- Daphne Xu

surströmming

I agree. Surströmming also has one major advantage over hákarl. Whole herrings fit nicely in a tin, but you'd need a really big tin to fit a whole shark.
Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen

Whole herring?

Including the guts?

Decontamination

My dad told me that his grandpa came home with some limburger one time.

Grandma took it into the back yard and buried it.

surströmming

Yes whole to a degree. From fresh if prepared from the begining, rather than bought in a tin, the roe is always left in. The rest? When a child I heard tales of folk who prepared surströmming with the guts left in though I've never come across it like that. I've often wondered if that was just my grandmother threatening my brothers with it to make them behave, or whether it was true. So I suspect the real answer to your question is No.
This is generating some interest isn't it? I'd like to read the experiences of others and such speciality foods. Seriously, I do like surströmming, I didn't post it as a joke, and still eat it maybe twice a year, alas only tinned sent by relatives, as I now live in the UK. What Erin referred to as a care package? I've just remembered that most airline will not carry tins of surströmming and forbid travellers to take it on board. There's a fruit, jack fruit or durian, that oriental airline regard similarly. They can grow to three feet long, are prickly and said to be nutritious but smell like sewage. I've never seen one, but I'd probably try a bit.
Regards
Eolwaen

Eolwaen

There's a good reason to ban surströmming on aircraft

As the bulging indicates the tin interior has an elevated pressure. Even in so called pressurised cabins the pressure is significantly lower than 100 kPa. Combine the two .... It could be rather "explosive".

I do have experience of the combination of too high internal pressure and lowered external pressure (involving an air matress, torpedoes and low pressure testing in a submarine, a rather abrupt waking up).

As for food there was a thread initiated by Gwen Brown about (mostly) UK food last year. https://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/blog-entry/76870/uk-food

surströmming

A colleague who had worked for Boeing reckoned in a lighter moment unlike clothes or a plank (see comments above) writing off a commercial aircraft due to a food spillage would be difficult to justify to the insurers, at least till their CEO had to travel on such a craft.
Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen

Cod

I love cod -- fresh or frozen. NOT fermented or treated with alkaline.

But its level of ugliness is second only to the sturgeon.

surströmming

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, tis said. Mind I've met some lovely to look at folk in my time and then been abused by their truly ugly minds. Have I learnt my lesson from this? I'm only human, so probably not.
Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen

Cod Face

I'll give you that one.
Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen

Crunchy frog nuggets?

None, crunchy duck nuggets.

Crunchy duck embryo nuggets.

In the Philippines, they have a delicacy called balut. They incompletely incubate duck eggs, then cook them.

Supposedly, they are like lint covered toothpicks.

Crunchy duck nuggets

I've heard of balut and seen a youtube clip of American cook and food journalist Andrew Zimmern (bizarre food) try it. I'm not sure I would.
Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen