Killing

Printer-friendly version

An open letter to the entire Dryadd.

In the end we shall be reunited with our distant kin and the oligarchs will have had to realise there are some wars that are not worth trying to win. Ukrainians and Russians, though at war, are both western Europeans, but we are not.
.

We have a millennia old history of doing war against each other, father versus son, brother versus brother, family versus family, kin versus kin, tribe versus tribe and even people versus people. Even though millions have died in the name of personal vengeance, all died for personal reasons. None were ever connected with the politics of, nor on behalf of, outsiders. No Drydd has ever killed another Dryadd for those not of our Folk. As the eldest elder, I have been asked to clarify what we should do when the invasion comes using our own Folk, though admittedly distant kin, as guides in the van. It is not totally clear to me, for more information is needed, but what is clear is we do not take up arms against our own. We do not break the blood faith with what has bound us all together for longer than the others have even had a history. We evacuate, we move to the hidden cold, exposed and windy places where only our own can survive, yet leave messages our distant kin can read that explains our stance.

We wait, and let the winter, our far kin and our hunters deal with the others, not in the pitched battle they desire, but a few at a time with no warning, nor trace we have been there. When the others are all dead and our distant kin are free of all coercion, and their relatives the others held captive to ensure their coöperation are free, the matter shall be over, and all blood oaths shall have been kept. This will doubtless happen several times before the others either go home, or their leaders have no more soldiers to send against us. In the end we shall be reunited with our distant kin and the oligarchs will have had to realise there are some wars that are not worth trying to win. Ukrainians and Russians, though at war, are both western Europeans, even though they may not like to recognise that, but we are not, and it is that difference that will enable us to defeat the invaders, for we will honour our dead as they felt honoured dying for us, but the count of our dead shall make no difference to our behaviour, for our entire history tells us there are many things worth dying for. Mostly our folk have died for freedom and the right for self determination.

I have eighteen younger members of my family who have either gone, or who are going, to hunt the invaders. I do not expect to see all of them again, but they have all sought my blessing, which I was honoured to give them along with my assurances that any they cared about or who depended upon them would be cared for as a family obligation with respect and love. I can do no more, and I expect all of our folk to do the same. It is many years now since I held an official position, but I truly hope all our folk understand why I have said what I have said, and even more do I hope they agree with it, for as I understand it it is the only stance a true member of the Dryadd can take.

May your comitments to our folk uphold your pride in yourself and the folk you love and care about,

With deep care and affection,
The one who was the one of one, but is now just an old woman who is grateful for your respect and even more for your love.

up
54 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos