Oxymorons

Printer-friendly version

Oxymorons
My personal collection

For years I’ve collected oxymorons and I’ve still only got four,
I’m only interested in the pointedly wicked, the rest, they just bore,
State education, the creator of the ill read, many teachers agree is good for a laugh,
And common sense was once rare, then sick and now dead, I’ve read its epitaph.
Popular culture has become the meaningless rattle of the celebrity cult,
But government intelligence is my favourite jest, idiots all, they’re not even adult.

up
34 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oxymorons

And here I thought Oxymorons were people that watched that infomercial and bought Oxyclean :)

Being Ex-Military my favorite was always "Military Intelligence"

As for saying about the government my favorite has always been, "Government: If you think the problems we create are bad, just wait until you see our solutions!"

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Oxymorons

I like the quotation about Government. So much so I may borrow it!
Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen

Oxymorons site admin

Being a former site admin:

I always laughed at an early version of Words grammar checker "Microsoft does not equate to support" when told to contact Microsoft Support in documentation

Jo

Microsoft

I have an old computer that dates back to 1988. Years after I stoped using it a Microsoft software developer I met at a convention of electro-chemists (I'm not an electro-chemist but at the time I did the sums for a group based in Manchester) told me the best thing to do with it was repurpose it using a Linux system and it could be as powerful as Microsoft Office suite. I never bothered but it makes you think.
Regards,
Eolwaen

Eolwaen

1988 computer

I would guess it has an 80286 or 80386 chip. Or maybe just an 8086.

I have a bunch of old 80486 motherboards that I was hanging on to so that I could use them for an odd CAM project or something. When I come across them, I'll either toss them or save them for random parts. If I want a computer board, I'll pay ten bucks or so for a Raspberry Pi or Arduino, depending on what I want to do with them. Either are vastly more powerful than a Pentium machine. I'm sure that the Raspberry Pi is more powerful than the old Cray supercomputer.

1988 Computer

I think it was late 1988 and was an early 486. As to the rest I suspect you're entirely correct. Some aspects of recycling are very attractive as they enable one to feel virtuous, but they're just not worth the time and effort, both of which become more valuble as one ages. A few years ago, I was thinking of an Arduino based washing machine motor speed controller for a honey extractor. I found detailed instructions and a video somewhere on the internet and downloaded them. I have no idea how long it would have taken me. Instead I bought the whole lot including motor (with reversing drive too) ready built using brand new exercise treadmill parts from a source in Germany who turns them out for a living for £30, maybe $40. Long live eBay! The time I saved I spent with my bees which is far more enjoyable.

Eolwaen