Castle The Series - 0113 Events in the Kitchens

Printer-friendly version

Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically at the end of the chapter. Appendix 1 Folk words and language usage, Appendix 2 Castle places, food, animals, plants and minerals, Appendix 3 a lexicon of Folk and Appendix 4 an explanation of the Folk calendar, time, weights and measures. All follow the story chapters.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00248010

DISCIPLINE AND THE DISCIPLINED

AARON HAS SPAECH WITH GLÆT AND BRAUM

9th of Luval Day 248

Aaron had asked that Glæt and Braum meet with him at two in the afternoon, though neither was aware the other would be there. He had deliberately said naught as to what he willen spaech with them concerning, but both knew it had to be concerning their lack of a craft placement, and were hoping he could assist them, for they had fears that their families would suffer from the lack of their remuneration betimes. Both had sought other crafts and been rejected, oft with contempt, for their behaviour in the kitchens had given them reputations that ran contrary to the behaviour of those who lived by the Way.

Both arrived within a minute of each other, and that both of them were there heighthent their anxiety. Aaron shewed them into the small chamber he uest for private discussion with folk who willen his help or advice, and asked a young boy to have leaf sent to them. Aaron asked the pair to be seated and quietly telt them, “I have been watching you closely, for a long time. Not just you two but a number of others too. Those whose behaviour in the kitchens has not been what it should have been. I will to help, but let there be no doubt in your minds. Morris behavt tightly when he dismisst you. He was chargt by Milligan to bring his office into order, and your refusal to obey the instructions of his deputy was a justifyable reason for your dismissal.”

Neither Glæt nor Braum had aught to say and the worried looks on their faces had become more serious. Just then there was a knock on the door and a pair of kitcheners entered with a pot of leaf and mugs on one tray and the other carrying a tray with an assortment of foodstuffs including slices of gærcake. Aaron indicated to the kitcheners to pour leaf for the three of them and expressed his gratitude. After the kitcheners, had departed Aaron said, “Please, take leaf and something to eat. I’ll continue whilst we do, but I’ll not keep you in suspense. There is a craft placement for you. I am aware you have not managt to find other placements and must be worryt by that. That placement is with Morris, but there are conditions. It is not for me to tell you the details, even if I knoewn them, but I will tell you this. Your behaviour has to change. You have to live like one of the Folk and that means according to the Way. You were perilously close to being left for Castle to reclaim and it was only consideration of the weäl of your dependants that savt you. Glæt, you I know had six children and your man Sandpiper bringen three to your recent agreement. Braum, your agreän Ellflower is pregnant with your sixth child. No matter how you desire to behave your obligations to those children has to govern your behaviour. If you do aught that jeopardises their weäl you deserve no better than to be reclaimt by Castle. I can not and will not intervene on your behalfs should you so do.”

Aaron telt them of numerous instances of their unacceptable behaviours and how they should have behaved. Both were stunned that he knew so much concerning them. When he concluded by asking, “Is there anything I can tell you or that you wish to know before your interview with Morris nextday at nine in the forenoon? And make no mistake they will be interviews, for Morris will wish to know that it is appropriate for him to accept you back to craft in his office.”

The pair both shook their heads and Aaron shewed them out. After they had gone he smiled for he considered all would be well, though he hoped that it would be a long time before he had to be that severe again.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00249010

THINGS ARE CHANGING

MORRIS HAS SPAECH WITH GLÆT AND BRAUM

10th of Luval Day 249

At nine, Glæt and Braum, to their surprise, were escorted together into Milligan’s affairs chamber where they were met by not Milligan but Abigail accompanied by Nigel and Morris. “I am here representing Milligan because I am Morris’ manager,” began Abigail. “Morris is the one who will be conducting the proceedings because he is the one who has to be satisfyt that if he accepts you as crafters in his office all will be well. Nigel is here to ensure that all that is done is done in accordance with the Way. Morris, the matter is now yours to deal with.”

Morris looked the pair in turn in the eyes and said, “The situation is simple, brutally simple. You accept my orders and follow them without complaint or ill will. My orders means orders I give you directly, those that are passed on to you via someone else and all orders given you by not just Ivana but those given to you by any one else who is your senior in rank too. That includes not just butchers and others in the kitchens but all folk who are your seniors in rank. If you are unwilling to agree to that I do not have a use for you crafting for me, for there is more than enough discord in the kitchens and I doubt Milligan would approve of me accepting crafters into my office who would be adding to it. At the first hint of non-compliance I shall dismiss you, and there shall be no third chance after that. I shall especially be watching you in your dealings with Iola, for despite her age she out ranks you, so is entitled to give you and all others of your rank orders. Nigel, have you anything to add to that?”

“No, Morris. You have been blunt, but fair, and all you sayt was in accord with the Way. I should say you surmiest Milligan’s views in a tellin.(1) You are entitelt to have Glæt and Braum sign an instrument(2) agreeing to your terms should you so desire.”

“I consider that unnecessary. They comply with my demands, which are no different from what every other of my crafters complies with or they have to leave. Things are changing for my crafters because I consider it unwise for skills to be in the possession of only a few. That level of specialisation is dangerous and was what led to having none in the office who could break down large carcasses. Eventually all of my crafters shall have the complete set of skills requiert. I have already had some training from Zena and Trefoil in preparing steaks and meat pieces suitable for the meat cooks. You two if you accept my terms will start with Comfrey and Scorp preparing fish. I wish you to start there so as to be crafting with relatively unfamiliar crafters. That way the past will be sooner forgotten, forgett I mean, and things will probably be a little easier for you. As soon as large fish are available the four of you and possibly some others too will be learning from me and my group how to break them down. All crafters will be both teaching and learning as seems best at the time. That’s the deal. Take it or leave it.”

Abigail added, “Morris’ plan to widen the skills of all his crafters is approven by not just Milligan, but all the managers too, and it is our intention to do likewise where ever possible throughout the kitchens.”

Nigel said, “It was Morris’ idea to make your lifes easier by having you craft with a different group of crafters. Aaron and I approven of that and we all,” Nigel looked berount indicating all present and widened his arms to indicate others not present too, “consider that to be the best way to allow this matter to pass and be forgett.”

Glæt and Braum had not looked happy at the idea of preparing fish, for the fish butchers had always been considered a separate group of crafters, but hearing Nigel’s explanation their expressions lightened as they realised Morris was trying to help them and crafting with a different set of crafters would make for a less embarrassing start. Clearly Morris had different ideas as to how his office should function and he had Milligan’s complete support, so they had no choice if they wished to craft for him.

Glæt nodded and said, “I wish to accept and will comply with all of your requirements, Morris. Gratitude for the placement with Comfrey.

Braum said, “I agree too, Morris. I too am grateful for the placement with Comfrey.”

It was a very humbled Glæt and Braum that Morris had accepted back into his office. The pair had left after Morris suggested they start the following day when Gibb would have their initial craft rota prepared. Morris said, “Thank you, Nigel. You reckon things will be ok with the pair of them?”

“Yes. Aaron frightened them half to death with his analysis of their behaviour when he telt them it could have cost them their lives. I suspect you’ll have no problems, at least with those two.” There was a few minutes conversation before Nigel said, “I must go.”

Before Abigail left she said, “I bethink me things are becoming better, Morris. At least in my office anyhap. Ashridge still has more than his share of problems, but we can hope that the improvement spreads.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00253010

CONSTRUCTIVE BRAGGING

WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO COST US?

14th of Luval Day 253

A number of junior cooks, most of who would never amount to aught more than junior cooks, and who were unaware Iola was already more senior than they would ever become, were eagerly awaiting Milligan’s, or at least Gibb’s, wrath to fall on Iola for the ludicrous extravagance of her new kettles. They would have been shocked had they heard the laughter at Milligan’s next meeting with his managers.

Abigail had opened the meeting by saying, “Mercy! Those kettles have maekt every member of the office take notice haven’t they?”

Milligan asked plaintively, “Has any any idea what they are going to cost us?”

Gibb, taken aback by a question he considered to be most atypical of and totally unexpected from Milligan, asked him, “Surely you’re not bothert by that, Milligan?”

“Not at all. Quite the reverse in fact,” Milligan replied a little wistfully. “But I should like to know, so I can do a bit of constructive bragging to Basil of what we just payt for a pair of kettles.” They were shouts of laughter at that since the fierce competition between the two men and their staffs for status was known to the entire Folk. Milligan was Keep Master, which helped to put him and his staff in front, but he liekt to ensure matters stayed that way. When the laughter finally subsided Milligan had reflectively remarked, “I wonder what she will do next? The water supply to fill them is so obvious I find it hard to accept none ever considert it hithertofore, even a twenty-five gallon kettle takes a lot of work to fill. And the spigot to drain off a pail of stock is equally obvious, and it’s far safer than ladling hot stock into a pail or dipping a pail into a kettle at chest highth. Those square kettles and the strainers are definitely a good idea, and the ingeniators say the shape results in a more efficient use of fuel. Why, I wonder, do we insist circular is the appropriate shape for a kettle that goes on a rectangular stove when all our oven trays are rectangular? We should see if the shape is appropriate for smaller kettles too when we have any maekt, may hap we should have strainers maekt to fit some of our existing kettles. I wonder what maekt her consider it all?”

Ashridge answered him, “I don’t believe she doet, Milligan. A lot of it was Knapps’ ideas, but she listens to folk.”

Gibb said, “I have no idea what she will bethink herself of next either, Milligan, but no doubt it will save her crafters even more time and effort. They have managt to keep up with the demand for soup so far, which is at least five times what it has ever been before, and Adela believes they are going to continue to do so no matter how hard the winter becomes. I bethink me Iola is probably doing several times as much with her staff as any has ever doen before in the soup kitchens, and they are having to work nowhere near as hard to do it, which probably explains the absence of accidents mongst her crafters. Too, her complete meal substantial soups are popular and saving food in all offices.”

Gibb laught before continuing, “When Sagon sent last lune’s accounts to Pleasance lastdaysince, she shewt me we had just payt Posy and Woad a trifling sum each for two dozen priests that were for Iola.” Gibb noted the puzzled looks and continued, “I doetn’t know what they were either, so because the only priests I had ever been aware of were the religious fanatics refert to in the archives I was inquisitive and goent to ask. Iola startet laughing when I askt. She explaint a priest is a heavy club fishermen use to kill fish with. One of her brothers is in the kennel squad, who all fish with her granddad who’d telt them of the priests. They use them for pike and zander. Will had telt Gage to have a large number maekt for his office. Posy turnt and hollowt the oak and Woad fillt them with melten lead. I was still no wiser at that point, till she goent for what she callt a vegetable crusher. She’d got the idea from her brother’s priest and askt him to have some maekt for her. She sayt Posy and Woad would have just callt them priests. It was a long square block of wood fillt with lead with the end turnt for a handle. It was so heavy I was amaezt some of her crafters could use it. She telt me they’d uest bits of fuel wood before and shewt me what it could do to a hard whiteleaf(3) stalk so she could extract all the flavour in a stock. I should say a goodly few of her ideas are her own, but I suggest if you go and pick up one of those crushers you will realise how different things are becoming.

“Pleasance also telt me her new stoves only cost us the ingeniators’ labour, for the firebricks she’d payt for by providing Strath and his crafters with the braeken crockery and the remains of stove firebrick linings when they are replacet. All of which they coarsely crush and mull with the fresh fireclay. Apparently it stops the bricks distorting as they are fiert, and he still owes her a considerable number of firebricks. All our braeken crockery and old stove linings have been sent to Strath since she took her office, and all our braeken glassware has been sent to Eric. For every weight of braeken glass she sends he provides her with half a weight of free new glassware. It was only as a result of the cost of the firebricks not having been chargt to us on last lune’s accounts that Pleasance findt out. Iola sends the old rags and wearn out aprons to Ophæn to make paper with but I know not for what consideration. The braeken crockery and glassware uest to be threwn on the waste, and when I askt Iola who suggestet trading them she telt me she had lookt into who would have a use for everything her office handles. In short they’re her ideas.”

Abigail warned, “Her competence and innovativth is causing considerable envy in certain quarters, not I hasten to add in any of our significant staff, who all hold her in more than high regard. That same competence is what enables her to more than look after herself, and she does have far more supporters than detractors. Despite appearances, she also has a ruthless side. I have sincely hearet that she enforcen compliance from a half dozen much older but uncoöperative junior cooks with one sentence, and I quote, ‘I am sure Gibb will be delightet to hear your explanations as to why you, who are junior cooks, are not doing as I, a Mistress cook, have ordert you when I instigate disciplinary proceedings gainst you.’ ” There was quiet laughter at that, and Abigail continued, “All my crafters, not just the storekeepers, provisioners, packt meal providers and salad makers, are vehement in her defence at any and every opportunity because as Ashridge sayt she listens to folk. Even the butchers, some of who were initially difficult towards her, are also uncoöperative with those whom they perceive to be antagonistic towards Iola, and quite happy to explain why they are.”

Ashridge picked up after Abigail, “A number of the malcontents had become uest to ordering the soup kitchens’ assistants to do their work for them. Iola has put a stop to that. Her crafters regularly tell them that Iola has telt them they are not to craft for other offices without her permission. It is known Iola has also decreen they do not have to ask for permission to help any they wish to which causes considerable dissatisfaction in those they refuse to help because they know there is naught they can do, even to the most junior of her assistants. That her crafters are more than willing to help those who are supportive of her is irritating them even more.” Ashridge smiled before continuing, “The bakers regard her highly too. Coriander telt me Iola, Vivienne and Michelle have providet them with dozens of new well receivt products to bake, but Iola is also giving them ideas of things to cook other than bread too, including much appreciatet main meals. Meals which are enhancing the way they are regardet within the kitchens.”

“My kitcheners all regard her highly too,” Polecat remarked, “because she has maekt their crafting easier. Camilla telt me they no longer have to sort hen food from compost. As a result they will go to a lot of trouble to help her and take care to follow her instructions that aught left on plates that can feed the dogs does so before Odo is sent the rest. All know that in her kitchens there is always a kettle of leaf available for any because she believes all should be able to take leaf when they wish it, so as to be able to finish what ever they are crafting at without flait they won’t have any just because it is not available then. As a result crafters needing close supervision and those lacking in confidence are much happier. Basil’s firekeepers and sweeps all take their leaf and meals with her crafters now because they are comfortable with them, and they are all prepaert to give her assistance in any way they can. But I still consider we need to be aware of those who are envious.”

Milligan said “I agree with you, Polecat. Envy is one thing, however, doing something regards it, especially to someone who crafts to such good effect and as hard as she, is altogether a different thing. May hap a few appropriate words whispert into the ears of our significant crafters may be a good idea? Whilst I appreciate the firekeepers’ support of her, I would rather render any direct action on their part unnecessary. I shall have spaech with Basil.” There were nods of agreement at that and still amused by the reactions to Iola’s new kettles they continued with their meeting.

Abigail relating the events of her office said, “Nigel and I were present at the meeting when Morris acceptet a chastent Glæt and Braum back. Morris telt them of the plans for training to widen the skills of all his staff. He telt them he was the first, having already had some instruction from Zena and Trefoil in the final preparation of meat for the cooks, and they were next and would be spending some time with Comfrey and Scorp preparing fish rather than with the meat butchers so as to ease any initial discomfort. He also sayt when large fish were catcht all four of them would be crafting with his initial butchery staff learning large fish, initial braek down. He was certainly not vindictive, but he maekt it clear they had no choice if they wisht to craft for him as his entire staff would be both instructing and learning in order to share and spread all skills as and when he considert best. They assuert him of their future compliance with his requirements and were grateful to be crafting with Comfrey. Neither lookt happy, but neither are going to be a problem any more. After the meeting was over, Nigel telt me Aaron had had spaech with Glæt and Braum the day before, and telt them, they were perilously close to being left for Castle to reclaim and it was only consideration of the weäl of their dependants that savt them.

“After Nigel left Morris telt me he’d had spaech with Aaron the eve before who’d telt him that Nigel had sayt, ‘If they can not be dealt with in such a way as to guarantee no recidivism they should be given to Castle.’ Which Aaron telt Morris was entirely in accord with the Way, ‘The weäl of the Folk is ever paramount,’ were his exact words. Aaron also telt him, ‘It was obvious Glæt and Braum had never considert their behaviour could have cost them their lifes, and it has left them shaken and aflait. Nigel suggests you do naught to alleviate their fears till their long term behaviour is assuert.’ Whether Aaron telt Glæt and Braum what Nigel’s thinking on the matter is Morris knoewn not, but he suspectet Aaron doet to ensure no recidivism.”

The five of them were grim faced over the matter, and Milligan admitted, “I knoewn Aaron was going to have spaech with them whether they returnt to Morris or no, and he’d telt me what he was going to say. Though glad we now have Nigel as well as Aaron to capably manage such things, it’s an unpleasant incident that has endet may hap as least ill as it possibly could, and which I hope will never be repeatet,” a sentiment they all agreed with.

Milligan, who was not over fond of Siward, had been cynically amused by what Siward had done to himself. He also considered his assessment and advancement of Iola had been a vindication of his abilities to run his office to best effect, despite its problems. He’d had cause to regret Gibb giving Siward the post of Master vegetable preparer, though like his managers, he’d known at the time Gibb had had no choice for there had been none else to appoint. Milligan resisted what he considered to be the very natural temptation to put Iola in charge of all fruit and vegetable preparation, which would have had Siward working for her. The only thing that stopped him was the knowledge something the like would happen soon enough any hap without any intervention on his part, for a lune over, Gibb had telt him, “Milligan, Siward will only have to be ill once more, and he will find his crafters crafting for Iola when he recovers, and doubtless they will be crafting much more efficiently and be happy with the change.”

Gibb had maekt no comment as to how he would deal with subsequent events, but Milligan had no doubt either Siward would end as one of Iola’s crafters, or if he wouldn’t craft for her, he was sure Gibb would have him crafting for some other, but with no crafters responsible to him. Siward’s frequent illths, usually after a visit to the White Swan the eve before, were a matter for much amusement in the kitchens, but neither Milligan nor any of his managers considered having to find additional supervision for a group of aflait crafters incapable of crafting without guidance to be funny, or fair to those crafters, and unwittingly Iola was going to provide a perfect solution to a situation they’d had to tolerate for far too long.

In a short space of time Iola had dramatically reduced waste, produced large quantities of tasty, nutritious and much appreciated food out of almost naught, maekt life easier for many other crafters and found ways of turning the little waste she did produce into useful feed for Gage’s dogs and the hens, compost or fire fuel. She was someone who nearly every one, from the significant crafters down to the most intellectually impaired of cooks’ assistants and kitcheners, as well as all who assisted the kitchens, like the firekeepers and the composters, were happy to craft with. The only exceptions were those who saw Iola as competition for advancement, ironically all of whom she had already advanced far beyond. It was much to Milligan’s satisfaction the smiths, ingeniators, and plumbers too now, taekt her sufficiently seriously to assist in her innovations which gave her a status that would usually only have been acquired by intelligent and senior crafters thrice her age with a record of considerable achievement behind them, though that she already had. Though some would not admit it, there were none who crafted for or with the kitchens who had not benefited from Iola’s activities and she was proving to be far more than Milligan had hoped for or even dreamt possible.

The kitchens were no longer the mess they had been, and were beginning to attract new crafters. They were still desperately in need of younger competent crafters, but the example Iola was setting was quickly developing some of the better, younger cooks. Iola’s advancement had provided the rôle model Milligan had sought. Iola had asked Swaille if she wished to return to the soup kitchens, or would she be happier to stay with Fulbert who had said he would be pleased if she stayed with his crafters. Swaille had said she was learning a lot and would like to stay where she was. Encouraged by Swaille’s decision, those who had initially been apprenticed to or placed with Iola were now starting to move berount the kitchens, but it was noticed they were only choosing to craft for cooks of significance. Gibb’s subtlety was working, for difficult cooks could not attract staff, and some were starting to feel isolaett.

The significant kitchen crafters considered Iola’s dealings with Siward to have been amusing and appropriate, and knew, though nominally equals at present, one day Iola would totally eclipse Siward. He was already in her shadow since he had only a quarter of the permanent staff she had. Iola, like Adela, was already one of them, and they treated her as such. Siward’s remaining crafters, who now received the initially prepared vegetables from Iola’s crafters, were hoping, in spite of her crafters having to work overnight sometimes, they too would end up crafting for Iola, who, they were telt by their ex-colleagues, was a kind and considerate young woman who acknowledged and appreciated her crafters and their ideas. She demanded no more from any than from herself, and unlike Siward, was not above preparing vegetables, and hence she was also considered to be good to craft with. Their wish was granted two tenners later when Siward was ill. Gibb informed them that forenoon they crafted for Iola as of that moment. He telt Iola to leave him to deal with Siward, and to organise her expanded responsibilities, which now included the adjacent kitchens no longer uest by Siward, as she saw fit.

Iola had first come to Fulbert’s attention when Coaltit had telt him of the gourd and then when she had maekt the Lancashire Lobby, which was why he had sent crafters to help Eudes with the onions when he had maekt liver and onions. The soup kitchens had always dealt with, if not uest, his leftover vegetables, but providing the starchroot(4) skins for his crafters to make lunches with was a radical departure from the rigidly maintained boundaries mongst the major offices that comprised the kitchens. He had been open minded rather than noith(5) when Iola had provide the samples for him to try, but the popularity of the seven craft tatties maekt him a willing collaborator. The success of a process which required Iola to manage the coöperation of seven sets of crafters had impressed him, and her starchroot sgons,(6) which he was fond of, which she had suggested, given no notice at all, simply as a solution to a pressing problem, had given him a tremendous respect for her as a Mistress cook. Fulbert had grandchildren older than Iola, and her modesty and willingth to help any and all maekt her a young woman he had become fond of. When Iola started providing his prepared vegetables, Fulbert had noted, with her use of misshaped materials, what she supplied was generally more attractive on the plate.

It wasn’t long after she had taken over all vegetable preparation when she asked him, “Fulbert, when your crafters wish vegetables in small pieces, may my crafters leave some in larger, longer pieces, and your crafters remove them from the heat when cookt but whilst still firm, so toddlers, like my brother Matthew, who are still learning to use cutlery can feed themselves with their hands and give their parents a chance to eat their meals whilst they’re still hot?” The Weäns’ Vegetables had been gratefully received by parents and older siblings, and Fulbert, who had readily admitted it was not his idea but Iola’s, was naytheless the better thought of for putting it into practice. It hadn’t taken a tenner before Eudes was producing toddler handleable sausages, poultry piecess and similar meat items, and Grangon was similarly producing battered fish sticks, small breaded fish cakes and entire shelled large prawns on sticks. Not long after that entire Weäns’ Meals were being served, and Coriander’s crafters had created Toad in the Hole with the meat sausages replaced by fish sausages maekt by Dabchick’s crafters. Eel in the Hole like Toad in the Hole could be cut into squares and eaten by toddlers, using both hands if necessary to dip it into the sauce or gravy like a biscuit and both were very popular.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00254010

THE FLEET IS BACK

A SHIP LOAD OF SUPPLIES

15th of Luval Day 254

When Iola arrived at her kitchens to take over from Harle at lunchtime there was an almost palpable excitement in the air. “What’s happening, Harle?”

“You know that due to the recent reasonable weather Hayrake allowt five of the fleet to go to sea half a tenner since?”

“Yes. We providet soup for the galleys.”

“They’re back, and it’s fortunate the sea has been calm because the catch near put the topwales(7) under water.” Iola smiled at Harle’s exaggeration. He was a cross craft member of the entertainers, could tell a tale, and so oft taekt turns with David at the Swan that he never had to pay for what he drank.

“I’ve heard they’re back. How much doet they catch?”

“I’m not sure, but Gellica sayt that they had trouble fastening the hatches down, and the last few dozen nets were carryt as deck cargo.” Iola looked puzzled, and Harle continued, “Biteweed her intendet is an apprentice on Wild Fish, and as soon as there was light enough to enter the Arder mouth safely the ships sailt in. They dockt at eleven this forenoon. Gellica doetn’t say, but I receivt the impression that Biteweed awakent her within minutes of his feet touching the dock. She was abed for she’d craftet over night.”

Harle smiled, and it was clear how he thought Biteweed had awakened her. Iola hid her surprise, for Gellica was still very shy and nervous in the kitchens, but despite her limitations she obviously had another side to her, and Iola was a little envious. She would have loved to be awakened by Heron, no matter where it led them, and she had to concentrate hard to dismiss her first real thoughts concerning love making and to focus on the matter at hand.

Harle continued, “The reason there is so much excitement is because Abigail has sayt Qvuine opines there is now no possibility of rationing this spring, even if we do become tiren of eating mijom(8) and akkar(9). There is so much fish Milligan has telt her to take crafters from wherever she can to help process it. She’ll wish some from us. Milligan has askt other offices for help, and Will has sent two squads of guardians to help. Morris sayt it’s the perfect opportunity to widen skills in his office, and Milligan telt him to train as many of our crafters as he can regardless of which office they craft in including kitcheners if they will to learn.”

“Gratitude for the information, Harle. Are Will’s squads filleting?”

Harle laught, a dry cynical laugh that was most unusual for him, and he replied, “No. They’ll be there to ensure coöperation from any reluctant crafters.”

That shocked Iola, but she understood Abigail would wish to ensure the fish was dealt with properly and none wasted due to arrogant unhelpfulth. “I’ll take leaf and see how we can help.”

“Would you like me to stay for another hour or two till the crafters are organiest? I can’t give you any more because I need some sleep. I’ve been here since six lasteve.”

“No! Gratitude for the offer, Harle, but tirenth and filleting knifes are a bad combination. Have some sleep, and if you could help later this eve I would appreciate it.”

Harle laught and said he would be back after a late eve meal.

Iola knew mijom were big fish, averaging over a hundred and fifty weights, [300 pounds, 150Kg] and she was considering how best the heads, tails, frames and livers could be uest. She also wondered whether Dabchick or Morris would be in charge of the process and what rôle Grangon, who was in charge of fish cooking, would have.

It was a shock to her when Abigail came into her kitchens with Dabchick and in stead of asking for crafters said, “I presume you are aware of the mijom and akkar, Iola?” Iola nodded, and Abigail continued, “How do you wish the catch dealt with?”

Taken aback Iola asked, “I don’t understand what you mean, Abigail.”

“You are the one who will cook aught that Grangon doesn’t, so Gibb and I decidet that you should be the one who decides how the fish is processt. It makes no difference to Grangon whether the mijom is grallocht, fillett and freezen now, or grallocht, freezen whole and fillett later. The akkar he doesn’t wish because he sayt it isn’t suitable for a main meal. Hjötron sayt the mijom were in a state of feeding frenzy on the akkar and doetn’t even notice the ships which is why they catcht so much of both. All five ships’ holds were fully laden with a full deck cargo too. You are the one who will cook what ever is cookt, other than the fillets. I know you can’t cook it all immediately, for there are hundreds of thousands of weights of fish, so there will be tens of thousands of weights left after filleting you will be dealing with, and probably similar weights of akkar. So I ask again, how do you wish the catch dealt with? Whilst you consider what to do, I’ll take some leaf, if I may? You have twenty minutes in which to come to a decision. I’ve sent a message to the kennels to see how Gage wishes the grallochth dealt with, and he sayt he’ll be here betimes.”

“Of course. You know where the leaf and mugs are.”

Whilst Iola was thinking of what to do, Gellica and Fledgeling came to see her, and Gellica nervously asked, “May we help with the fish, Iola? I’d like to because Biteweed, my intendet, crafts on Wild Fish.”

“Of course. We shall use some of the soup out of the freeze chambers for nextday, and nextdaynigh too if needs must. Most of the office can help with the fish. I’ll organise it in a minute, Gellica. Abigail, where are the fish going to be dealt with?”

“In the butchers’ receiving hall. The dock crews have startet unloading the ships into the waggons to be taken thither. I imagine there will be several waggon loads there by the time we arrive.” The receiving hall was where animals were culled at the end of the year and over winter and it was a huge space.

“Fledgeling, find Parsley please. Tell her what I said. We use soup from the freeze chambers nextday, and ask her to organise it for me. Doet you understand that?”

“Yes, Iola. Parsley has to take enough soup out of the freeze chambers for nextday and put it to warm. What soup should she use?”

“It doesn’t matter. She’ll know to provide a choice.”

“Shall I tell her you said to offer a choice of soups? Do you wish her to keep the leaf kettle full?”

“Yes please, a choice of soups, and ask her to use two kettles for leaf. Gratitude, Fledgeling. I’ll be with you betimes.”

As the two young women left Iola and Abigail smiled as they heard Fledgeling say to Gellica, “You remember the two kettles full of leaf, Gellica, and I’ll remember the choice of soup.”

Iola continued to ponder the fish. Once she had thought it through, she maekt her mind up quickly, and it was a decisive Iola who said, “Let’s have all the mijom fillett, Abigail. That way Grangon’s fish is ready for him without bones, and I have all my material in bulk and can use it more efficiently. I know it’s more work now, but it’ll all have to be done eventually, and I’ll have all my crafters except four helping. I wish the heads and tails cutt off the frames and all stoert separately, and I wish the livers freezen separately too. The akkar can be boxt and freezen whole since I can process them as requiert. Is that going to be all right?”

Abigail was astonished that Iola had enough soup frozen to be able to do what she proposed, and she asked, Have you really got enough soup freezen for two days?”

“No. I’ve enough for half a tenner.” Iola saw the look on Abigail’s face and smiling said, “Three and a half thousand gallons. Which I bethinkt me should cover any situation that could happen. As soon as the fish is dealt with I’ll have what we’ve uest replacet.”

Abigail shook her head in wonder before answering Iola’s question. “I telt you, it’s your decision to make. The rest of us shall do what ever is necessary to help. Do you know what you are going to do with it all, Iola?”

“Yes, more or less. Gage can have what he wills of the grallochth except the livers, and what he doesn’t require I’ll send to Odo. The heads and tails I’ll poach the meat off for fish soup. The liver I shall use like any other liver, probably as an accompaniment, but if I can I shall persuade Grangon or Eudes to cook them as part of a main meal. The frames I shall deep fry, the tails’ bones too after I’ve poacht the meat off. I’m considering drying and milling fish head bones to see if they’ll put flavour in a fish soup, but I’ll have spaech with my crafters first. The akkar I can use, but I shall have spaech with Grangon concerning it because he is more skillt than I to use it, especially if he will collaborate with Fulbert. I have in mind a dish callt Paella prepaert by a group of folk naemt Spanish which would make a good main meal.”

“What do you do with deep fryt fish bones?”

“Dust them with powdert salt, herbs and spices. I’ll ask Spoonbill for advice. They are a tasty, crunchy thing to eat. I’ve eaten them as accompaniments at my friend’s. It’s a bit like crispy gris ears or birds feet. They could be provided as a snack. I’ll ask Grangon if he wishes to try that too.”

Abigail was taken aback, but everything Iola had cooked so far had been appreciated, especially the completely unfamiliar, and she was rather looking forward to trying the bizarre snack. She’d not been on her own to be pleasantly surprised at her first nervous nibble on the succulent and tasty Fryt Fowl Feet which Iola had served as an accompaniment to a Cock-a-Leekie soup.

Gage arrived, and when Abigail had explained what Iola wished to do, he grinned and said, “I’ll give the snacks a try. It sounds like the sort of food they uest to sell in China Town, weird but tasty.”

Iola nodded and said, “That’s where the idea came from.”

“As for the guts, I’ll take the lot. I’d rather not feed the dogs fish guts more than twice a tenner because I try to give them as varyt a diet as I can. That means a lot will have to be freezen, but just freeze them in pails, and when they’re freezen I’ll recover the pails with a bit of warm water. I know where I can borrow some pails from. Is that all right with you, Dabchick? They’ll take up a lot of freeze chamber space, cos I’ll only wash them out as we thaw and use them.”

Dabchick nodded, “Indeed, but it’s saving food, and if needs must we could put them in the courtyard just outside the freeze chambers, or even outside the kennels.”

Iola asked, “A mug of leaf before you go, Gage?”

“Gratitude, Iola, but no. I’ll go and negotiate the loan of some pails. Outside the kennels sounds convenient, Dabchick, and they’ll be uest before we have a thaw of any significance.”

Gage left and Abigail remarked, “This is going to be a lot easier that I considert it would be, and a lot more interesting too, Iola. I’ll go to the receiving hall and let the crafters there know what we’re doing. I’d appreciate it if you sent your crafters to Dabchick first to help take the equipment and boxes her crafters need to the hall.”

Dabchick smiled and said, “We’ll just take what we need initially, and when any bring full boxes to Bluesher they can take empty ones back.”

Though it was initially only Dabchick’s and Morris’ staff that were filleting fish there were over three hundred and fifty crafters in the hall. The entire kennel squad arrived with handcarts on each of which were hundreds of metal pails neatly stacked inside each other. The pails looked new, and Gage didn’t explain where either the handcarts or the pails had come from, and he rushed his squad away before any could ask. Iola had explained to the filleters that she would like a little fish left on the frames if possible as she was going cook them. There were some surprised looks at that, but since what Iola was asking for maekt their work easier, and she was always doing the unexpected the filleters weren’t bothered or surprised.

Morris wasn’t filleting. He was demonstrating filleting to those in need of instruction, which was of course much slower. As soon as Grangon realised what Morris was doing he watched him closely for a few minutes, that being all he needed in the way of instruction, and joined him in training others. Grangon instructed those who had seen Morris demonstrate the skill as they fillett their first few fish. Morris had invited any who wished to learn to watch, and the two men were training butchers, provisioners, soup makers, storekeepers, even kitcheners as well as dozens of apprentices from all over the kitchens. There were over a hundred crafters learning to fillet. None of the newly trained were fast, but Morris insisted, “Do it skilfully, not quickly. Skill you work at, speed comes all by itself, and don’t worry regards any flesh you leave on the bones because Iola won’t.”

Will’s squads had naught to do, so they carried boxes and pails and pulled handcarts to the freeze chambers where, under the charge of Bluesher and her apprentice Greensward, some of Dabchick’s crafters organised the storage, assisted by the firekeepers and crafters from all over the Keep. The four major fillets off each fish were hung on hooks and eventually there were twenty-five thousand or so of them, most between twenty and fifty weights. [40-100 pounds, 20-50Kg] As a result the fire keepers enjoyed themselves doing something where their strongth was appreciated. The pace in the bitingly cold freeze chambers was such that some taekt their overcoats off. Iola’s crafters taekt turns to keep all supplied with leaf, the rest fillett fish, boxt fish and akkar, loaded handcarts and filled pails.

Basil had sent fifty of his volunteer staff to act as porters to reinforce the tired crafters. Grangon left in the late afternoon to supervise his office cooking for the eve meal. The crafters started going for their eve meal at five, twenty at a time. By eight that eve, over three-quarters of the fish had been dealt with. Morris had been filleting for hours and it was seen he could manage a two hundred and fifty weight [500 pounds, 250Kg] mijom, which was nigh their maximum weighth, in less than three minutes. His crafters and the provisioners were managing more reasonable siezt fish in five minutes and even those who had never fillett a fish in their lifes before weren’t taking ten. Now they were no longer required in the soup kitchens and the Refectory, Parsley and her three helpers arrived to help with the fish.

Though Abigail was the provisioners’ and the butchers’ manager, none had specifically been placed in charge of the operation, but wherever Morris crafted folk looked to him for guidance. When he said, “I don’t know what any one else thinks, but I’d rather not stink of fish for two days. What do you think? Do we keep going till we finish, probably eleven, or do we stink of fish nextday too? I’m not telling any one what to do,”

Beatrix replied, “Shut up, Morris, you’re wasting breath and time. Keep filleting.” There was a round of laughter as Beatrix’s voice was recognised, and they carried on processing the fish. Grangon and his crafters returned to continue processing fish not long after that.

Iola had been to the freeze chambers a few times during the afternoon and eve and had been amazed at how orderly everything was. Under Bluesher’s and Greensward’s direction crafters were neatly stacking boxes of akkar, heads, frames, tails and livers as quickly as they arrived, each in separate chambers. Provisioners were putting the hooks in the fillets for the firekeepers to hang in row upon row on the rails that ran across the chambers. In other chambers lines and lines of buckets on shelfs were being stored by the crafters who had delivered them.

At ten, Iola went to find Gibb. “I’d like some beer, wine and brandy providet, Gibb, for when we finish. I’ll have a meal ready too. Can we do that?”

“Of course, a good idea. Gratitude, Iola, I’ll deal with it for you. What are you going to provide for food?”

“Aught but fish.” They both laught at that. “I’ve some kine(10) and roots soup that’s hot, and I’ll have the bakers provide soup rolls and some meat and starchroot pasties. But first, I’ll have some of my crafters put plenty of hot water in the reception hall troughs, so all can have a good wash. I’ll ask some of Basil’s crafters to bring enough soap and towels too and the firekeepers to keep the hot water furnaces fuelt and stoekt. We’ll eat in the Refectory, as far from the smell as possible, though we’ll certainly take some of it with us.” All was done as Iola planned. Morris had been a little over-optimistic, but it was only twenty over eleven when the last of the fish was safely stored in the freeze chambers. It was a bit of an anticlimax for the crafters who had been working so hard for so long, at what all knew was a matter of survival, and most felt strangely depressed. When Iola announced, “There is hot water, soap, plenty more hot water as necessary and piles of towels for us all to have a good wash before we eat and have a celebration drink in the Refectory,” there were heartfelt cheers of happith and relief. “If none tells me how badly I stink, I promise not to mention it to any either,” caused huge merriment as for the first time in hours all became aware of the appalling stench they had become uest to.

Many of the men stripped to waist at the sinks and washed their hair too. Beatrix, who was over sen lunes pregnant, shrugged her shoulders and did likewise saying loudly to Dabchick with humour, “Any man that wants to look is welcome, but I’ll fillet any who touches.” There were roars of laughter at that, and the men near her moved away in mock fright. Within the minute the rest of the women had followed Beatrix’s example.

Dabchick announced to all, “I can’t believe I managt fish gore that far down my bosom, and I’m really glad I can wash my hair. I still stink, but three, possibly four, good showers and I’ll only smell. Still, I’d rather stink than starve though may hap I’ll sneak in before Nigel can shut me out of our chambers.” There were sounds of general agreement with her sentiments. “I’m going to wear a bath towel in the stead of my blouse, and I’m going to leave what I’ve taken off here with the coveralls for the launderers nextday.”

Abigail with a bath towel draped berount her shoulders fastened with a hair pin over her bosom asked, “What bethink you, Adela? Could it become fashionable?” There were more giggles than laughter from the women. It was a strangely dresst, but happy, group of crafters who sat down to eat.

Roebuck’s ingeniators connected their hoses to the span wide [4 inches, 10cm] fittings that led to the huge tanks high above the hall that were kept full of seawater to be uest in the event of fire. It was routine for them to hose the hall down after a cull, and it took less than fifteen minutes with their high pressure water jets. “The stench in here is usually appalling when we arrive to hose it down,” Roebuck remarked, “but you’ve really excellt yourselfs this time. We can wash all the solids and liquids off the walls and floor and flush it away to the growers’ composters, but there’s nothing we can do about the stink.”

The soup was substantial, the rolls hot from the ovens, and Coriander had excelled herself, for there were no pasties, but huge trays of Irish Stew with Cobbler Crust, succulent with gravy in their stead, followed by Apple pie and sauce. “They were for lunch, but we need them now,” she announced. “And we’ll just make something else, or more of the same, for lunch.” The fish processors were joined by the bakers and the other kitchen staff who were crafting overnight. Grateful their efforts had been appreciated, the fish processors drank little wine, but Gibb sent staff to the cellars for more beer and a lot more brandy. It was a tired, and happy, but certainly not from the drink, group of crafters that returned home in the small hours of that forenoon.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00256010

NOT YET ELEVEN

SHALL WE SAY THE REST OF THE LUNE THEN?

17th of Luval Day 256

“One day! That’s all it taekt. Less than twelve hours to process what must have been in excess of a million weights [2,000,000 pounds, 1000 tonnes] of mijom and akkar. Morris taekt charge of the processing, and in the process he and Grangon traint hundreds of crafters to fillet big fish, but it was Iola who managt the crafters. Was any aware she has a five day supply of soup in the freeze chambers? Three and a half thousand gallons she telt me.” None answered, but the others were as surprised as Abigail had been. “She left Parsley with just three of her crafters to manage her office, lunch and the eve meal and taekt the rest to process fish. It was hard to believe, and I was there throughout, but she telt the crafters what she willen: all the mijom fully processing immediately, which of course meant far more work. She explaint exactly what she willen and why, and the crafters just acceptet it. There must have been three hundred folk came to help to start with and more keept arriving. All sayt they willen to help Iola.

“Gage was decidetly reticent regards the handcarts full of pails for the grallochth. I’m telt he was in the kitchens with handcarts and all his syskonen,(11) and may hap more significantly none of his volunteers, long before first light this forenoon. They had troughs full of hot water to recover and wash the pails. They taekt the blocks of grallochth to the courtyard outside the freeze chambers and he said he would have his volunteers assist moving the blocks to the kennels after lunch. They left with the clean pails in the handcarts. I’m not going to ask where either the pails or the handcarts came from because I know he is intelligent enough to have them returnt, probably before their owner has noticet they were ever missing.

“Moreover, lastday I noticet, an hour after we startet, all the kitchen firekeepers and all Iola’s crafters, many of who were not due to craft for a day or two, were there, they’ll do aught to help her. The filleters couldn’t keep up with them. As fast as aught was ready it was in the freeze chambers, including the boxt akkar and the pails of grallochth. For a long time it lookt like we were going backwards as waggon after waggon of fish arrivt, but the waggoners had delivert it all by nine. Roebuck telt me the docks were unloading the ships with both big cranes and every member of his staff he could spare was helping the waggoners, the dockers or the ship crews. After nine, we feelt a lot better seeing the pile of fish becoming smaller. There was no waste at all. I knoewn Iola would poach the meat off the heads and tails for soup, but she’s going to deep fry the frames and tail bones as an accompaniment, sayt it was crunchy like the fowl feet. I wasn’t surpriest she was going to have the livers cookt, but I was when she sayt she was going to dry and mill the head bones to add flavour to fish soups.” Abigail shook her head and the others were as surpriest as she’d been lastday.

“I’d considert I may have had a need for Will’s assistance, so I’d askt him to provide a couple of squads of the more seasont, mature guardians,” Abigail lookt berount her seeing her colleagues nodding in understanding, “No such aid was requiert. Will’s squads helpt the firekeepers out of boredom. Iola keept the leaf flowing, and telt the crafters who was to go to eat and when, so the work was barely affectet. When Morris askt whether to stop and resume nextday, Beatrix telt him, ‘Shut up and keep filleting.’ Shut up is I believe a not very polite newfolk instruction to close one’s mouth. When all was doen, at goen quarter over eleven, there was an air of relief, yet also one of depression. However, Iola had already had everything organiest for all to have a decent wash in the hall troughs before a good meal and a drink in the Refectory. We all washt stript to the waist, which meant we could wash our hair too and dient wearing the latest fashion in bath towels. Bizarrely it was an enjoyable end to an exhausting day. Gibb?”

Gibb taekt over the tale, “Iola had seen me earlier wishing beer, wine and brandy for the crafters. She sayt she’d organise a wash and a meal. Given what the crafters had just doen it seemt little to ask for. Her soup and Coriander’s meal followt by what under normal circumstances would have been enough drink to put most of the crafters on their backs was a wholly deservt reward for those who safeguardet the weäl of the Folk this spring. And before you ask, Milligan, yes, I have a record of who they all were, as has Roebuck. By the bye he suggestet they should be given some credit towards their Collective contribution in return, and will be having spaech with you and Sagon of it before putting the matter before the Council. However, as Abigail implyt, we have a truly remarkable young woman crafting with us. She seems able to acquire coöperation from all who matter because they like her, and they like her because she treats all properly and deserves to be liekt.”

The managers all nodded in agreement and Milligan said, “Three days after Gibb givn Iola charge of all vegetable preparation, I seeën Siward crafting for Morris slicing mammoth steaks for the meat cooks, and he wouldn’t look me in the eye.” Milligan shrugged. “I also noticet Iola’s crafters, even without the volunteers she has over a hundred now, crafting as one group and singing as they doet. I’m glad Iola came to me for a placement. She would have been wastet crafting for Basil. However, despite her willingth and my feeling I should fain(12) allow her to achieve as much as she will, I do not wish her overburdent just because she is willing. She must now be left and given no more responsibility till she has completely reorganiest her crafters and responsibilities to her own satisfaction and begins to look berount her for more.”

Gibb laught, and said, “So, shall we say the rest of the lune then, Milligan?”

Milligan smiled a wry smile and said, “You’re probably right, Gibb, but please mind, though she is vanya(13) turning fourteen, that is in Earth’s years and she’s yet a lune or so from eleven of ours. Without doubt a highly competent Mistress cook with a manner and attitude of someone ten or twenty years her elder, she is still a girl, and will be for over three years, notwithstanding her status as Heron’s intendet.” That had not been realised by his managers, and there were nods of agreement with Milligan’s warning. The matter of Siward received no more attention.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00258010

MAMMOTH SKULLS AND FLEDGELING’S PLAN

CLEANING THE FREEZE CHAMBERS

19th of Luval Day 258

After her stock kettles, Iola’s new fish kettle, which at six feet long, three feet wide and a foot deep covered an entire stove, was no real surprise. Other than remarking how much easier and safer the lift out strainer maekt poaching large quantities of fish which could be taken, without hot poaching liquid, straight from the kettle to a wheeled work surface the same size as a stove, Gibb had speculated how long it would be before Grangon ordered half a dozen of them. What had really impressed him was the way the sides of the strainer could be removed to facilitate working on the fish. Iola’s second pair of one hundred gallon kettles, and their stove, and her four frying pans, each three feet square and a span and a half deep, were barely noticed.

Other than on their days off, it was Fledgeling and Letta who collected the bones for the stock kettles from the freeze chambers. Though it was heavy work, it was a task Fledgeling and Letta could manage with no supervision, which maekt them happy, and that was why Iola had said it was their task. The two young women were friends and oft crafted together. They normally collected three small handcarts of bones which filled one of the large stock kettles. They had collected two and placed the bones in the kettle before they went to find Iola. Fledgeling explained, “Iola, we’ve nearly emptyt the first freeze chamber, but we can’t pick up the two bones that are left. They’re too heavy for both of us, but we need some more bones. What do you wish us to do?”

Letta added, “We could fetch some more from another chamber, Iola, but you sayt you willen that one emptyt first.”

Iola asked, “What are the bones? Do you know?”

Fledgeling shook her head, but Letta said, “They are two halfs of a head, I bethink me a mammoth calf. They’re this big,” Letta opened her arms to demonstrate, “but there’s hardly any meat on them and there’s no brain there.”

“Will they fit in the kettle if we can move them?”

Both Letta and Fledgeling were nodding and saying, “Yes.”

Fledgeling added, “Then it will be full.”

“Let’s go and look again.” The three women went to look at the bones and Iola said, “There’s some meat on them, Letta, but you’re right, not much. We need Carver and Wlnoth. I’ve seen them both in the last hour and I’m sure they would be able to manage. We’ll just have to do our best with the sharp bone shards”

Letta and Fledgeling looked at each other. Letta smiled knowingly, and Fledgeling blushed bright red. Letta suggested, “You go and ask them, Fledgeling. Carver would do aught for you.”

Fledgeling, still bright red, looked at Iola and asked, “May I?”

“Of course.” When Fledgeling had gone, Iola and Letta left the freeze chamber and chatted whilst waiting for Fledgeling to return with the men. Iola asked, “Fledgeling is interestet in Carver, Letta?”

“They’re heartfriends, Iola, but Fledgeling wishes agreement.” Letta confided, “Her eldest sister has just birtht her second babe, and Fledgeling is desperate for family, but Carver is shy. Her mum and Carver’s mum have sayt they will make sure she has agreement before Quarterday, but Fledgeling will make sure long before then, she has a plan.” Letta chuckled, and Iola, correctly divining that Fledgeling’s plan was more a matter of direct action rather than a deeply laid plot, laught with her.

“Let us wish her success, Letta.”

Ten minutes later Fledgeling returned with Carver and Wlnoth. The two men effortlessly picked up a half skull and placed it in the handcart before turning and picking up the second half to place it on top of the first. Carver pulled the handcart to the door, which Wlnoth opened, and without a word they followed Fledgeling to the stock kettle. Letta and Fledgeling removed some of the bones from the kettle and Fledgeling asked, “Will you put the big bones in now please?” Again with no effort the men placed the skull halfs in the kettle where Fledgeling indicated and Letta replaced the other bones around them. Iola merely watched as Fledgeling managed the two men. “My gratitude, Wlnoth, that was very kind of you.” Fledgeling hugged Wlnoth, an older man of forty or so, “My gratitude, Carver.” She kissed Carver’s cheek and whispered something in his ear which maekt him turn bright red. The two men nodded and left.

“What doet you tell him, Fledgeling?” Letta asked.

“I telt him now I have chambers of my own I shall reward him for his help later. We are going to the White Swan nexteve with his family, and afterwards I shall ask him to escort me back to my chambers.”

“How old is he, Fledgeling?” Iola asked.

“Three more than me, nineteen.”

The three women all smiled and Letta said, “You will be marryt nextdaynigh, Fledgeling.”

“I’m not going to wait that long, Letta!”

The three of them all laught and Iola said, “Carver is nice, Fledgeling, I hope you will be happy and I shall wish for your early pregnancy. Spend nextdaynigh with him. I shall spaek to Beaver for him so you can both enjoy the day, and I shall see you the day after.”

“Gratitude, Iola, but shouldn’t we be filling the kettle and have the fire lit? I’ll fetch Ilsa.”

Fledgeling left, and Letta said in explanation, “Fledgeling likes crafting for you, Iola, we all do. She was never happy crafting for Eudes because he was always shouting at her, and usually she doetn’t understand why. He uest to make her cry a lot. She’d have left to join the chamberers but for Adela. So she trys hard to please you. Right now, she is thinking you need the stock making, so she is trying to help.” Iola nodded in understanding and turned the water on thinking she needed to have Dabchick informed the freeze chamber was now emptied.

Dabchick had had number plaques placed on the freeze chamber doors and recorded when they had last been thawed and cleant, as far as the older kitchen staff were aware of that was. She’d telt Iola, “Not even Bluesher has any idea when freeze chamber number fifty-three was last thawt during the summer and cleant, but she’s certain it was more than fourty years over, and sayt it could have been more than twice that. Of the two hundred and fourty-six large freeze chambers there are four that none know when they were last thawt and cleant, and I intend to clean them as soon as possible.” Iola was using as much as possible of the materials stored in those chambers, and Dabchick opined that by the time it was warm enough to thaw the chambers only number fifty-three would have aught left in it. Iola had suggested when that happened their two staffs with help from the firekeepers could move the remaining material to a recently cleant chamber and Dabchick could have all four chambers cleant this summer ready for freezing by the colder weather later in the year.

~o~O~o~

One of Iola’s notable successes, mongst many, was the newly created Redroot and Mintt Lamb Soup of which three hundred gallons were being regularly produced. The redroot(14) was redroot and perseroot(15) peels, plus those roots it was considered too time consuming to peel and the small quantities of what ever else was in need of use. The vegetables were in variable proportions depending on the main menu vegetables being served that day. The lamb was similarly lamb, kid and young game in variable proportions and was off the bones, and offcuts from the butchers and the cooked bones left over when the kitcheners had carved the meat off them. The braeken meats(16) which were sent to Iola she refused to use saying the soup always had enough meat in it and it was a waste, so she sent them to Saught for packed meals. Saught uest the meat and returned the bones to Iola. The kitcheners’ carvers, like the butchers, thus had an easier task because they could leave any difficult to remove meat on the bones knowing Iola would ensure it was uest to best effect. It also uest any mint sauce left over though the bulk of the flavour was from the more widely available but tough and fibrous watermint leafs which were gathered by the foragers in huge quantities, still on the stem, to be frozen. It was packed still frozen into infusers(17) which were removed before serving. Spoonbill telt Iola, “Though I have some dryt and powdert, like all mint the flavour suffers badly as a result of drying and the freezen material is much better. The powder is only suitable as a trace flavour in a herb or spice blend.”

The now perfected Celery and Conegrass Cream had been developed into a thick, rich soup which contained small cubes of bigroot(18) as well as celery and conegrass(19) and it was thickened by minced, unpeeled, small starchroots cooked till they fell and some ocean leaf. As usual Spoonbill’s contribution was much appreciated, and Iola was beginning to take in what he was teaching her of herbs and spices. Her learning was faster now because she was no longer thinking in terms of the fragrances and tastes available on Earth, but in terms of those available on Castle. Celery and conegrass cream was served with pickled, immature, pink radish pods and sharpleaf seeds,(20) which were both naturally spicy, along with poppy seeded soup rolls. Whilst tasty and appreciated, as a quick and easy to prepare winter soup it was a complete failure, for it was neither, but Iola was still thinking on the matter.

Iola thought one solution for a quick and easy soup had to be fish because it was spoilt by over cooking. Iola looked in her receipt books and found little to help. She asked the fish cooks for advice and permission to borrow their receipt books too, but their books were even less helpful than her own. Grangon admitted they prepared naught with any where near the amount of liquid Iola was spaeking of. So she went back to the beginning. What would she be able to do quickly? She didn’t wish to use sprouted seeds or they would be taking over, and folk would become bored with them. She reasoned almost any vegetable would do if sliced finely enough, but she wished to try skirret,()21 sharproot(22) and longroot(23) because she had never uest them before, which naturally led her to a selection of thinly sliced mixt roots, sliced not grated though. Onions? No, but leeks would be good, and celery leaf too, or may hap a little lovage? If she cooked some minced starchroots till they fell for substance, that would do for a first try, but the fish? What kind of fish?

Then it all came together. Any and all fish. It was an ideal thing to do when fish had been cooked for the eve meal the previous day because that way she could use all the heads and tails from the fish cooks immediately in stead of freezing them to use later for a marine soup she didn’t have time to make. Poach the fish gently in the new fish kettle, and remove all the meat. Aught on a head that wasn’t bone was edible. Then make the stock with the head bones, cook the vegetables gently in the stock, and when all was warm and nearly ready to serve add the poached meat and any left over from the previous eve’s meal that the kitcheners didn’t wish to serve again. The frames and the tail bones could be deep fried, seasoned and served as an accompaniment. However, first see what herbs and spices Spoonbill recommended because, though she was learning rapidly, she was not confident flavouring fish. She went to see Spoonbill and telt him her thoughts so far.

“Lovage will be good, Iola, but not too much as it can be overpowering. Use some yellow sour(24) peel, dryt will be acceptable, juniper berries and dill or fennel, it doesn’t have to be quality leaf or seed because you don’t need too much. I’ve some dryt fennel feathers(25) on the stalk that will give you considerable comfort(26) regarding quantity, put it all in an infuser in the stock before you poach the fish, or alternatively dry it all and mill it, and then add the powder to the stock, but remember that way you will need to use less, but you can keep any excess for next time. You may wish to add some ocean leaf(27) to your vegetables. I shouldn’t cook with any salt but season to taste right at the end.”

Spoonbill had maekt up her seasoning mix which she had dried and milled. She had added dried edgers(28) as well as seagreen,(29) and had it served with a swirl of fresh cream and soup rolls which had been baked with chopped red seagreen and some of the seasoning powder in them. The amount of Inner Isle Bisque that could be maekt was limited by the amount of fish uest the eve before but even fifty gallons was acceptable as a reasonable amount of a fast soup. By no means the most popular of soups, naytheless there was none left when it was first served, and the pressure on herself and her crafters was easing, and as she telt them, “If we need to make more we can always get some mijom heads and tails out of the freeze chambers the day before we need it.” However, the deep fried fish bones were a huge success and Grangon had decided to cook and serve them with all his fish main meals and had agreed to supply Saught with some for packed meals. He was not so sure mijom liver would be as appreciated, but he was willing to try it. He initially fried it and served it with the fish bones as part of the accompaniment, but he was telt so oft how tasty it was he asked diners if they would like it served as a main meal. Enough said ‘Yes’ to make it worth doing, and it wasn’t many lunes before those diners were awaiting the next catch.

Iola spake with Grangon and Fulbert concerning the akkar and it’s use with white wheat in paella. Grangon thought it would be a good dish to use fish trimmings, snails, along with any meat trimmings and what ever else Dabchick could provide, which Iola telt him was authentic whereas using white wheat wasn’t. He was beginning to consider using food like Iola did. Fulbert agreed consulting Dabchick was a good idea and suggested Coaltit should be consulted as to the vegetables uest. When Grangon asked who would cook the dish Fulbert had replied, “I suggest whoever’s crafters are under the least pressure at the time and we provide staff to help. I’ll have some of Eudes’ crafters involvt too. That way we train as many of our crafters to cook the dish, as quickly as possible.”

Grangon in full agreement with Fulbert then asked, “Is there aught simple my younger apprentices could prepare using akkar, Iola? May hap, if not a main meal, an accompaniment? I wish something they could prepare with minimal supervision to give them a sense of achievement.”

Iola had always liekt Coriander and the two enjoyed crafting together, but Coriander’s agreän, Grangon, had been a difficult man for Iola to relate too initially. It was his care to his apprentices that had maekt her realise he was a reserved man, not an unfriendly one, but he could still surprise her.

“Akkar takes hardly any cooking, but it doesn’t have a lot of taste. It’s easy to cook in bite size pieces on a stick at high heat for may hap five minutes. If wooden, the sticks need to be soakt to prevent burning, like the stalls do on Quarterday. You could use thick wire, but metal gets hotter than wood, and the food is cookt from the inside too as the heat travels in the metal, so the cooking is much faster than with wooden sticks. I’ve readd akkar can become tough with overcooking, so it needs to be cookt hot but quickly or warm for hours. You could cook the pieces on a tray in a hot oven, but the good thing of having it on sticks is you can easily dip it into any flavourful sauce you like. You could put other meat on the stick too or fruit and vegetables and for an accompaniment you could prepare a dozen or more sauces. Servt with say white wheat, or some other staple may hap blackseed,(30) with some sauce and you have a main meal. You could offer both, some folk will take a couple of sticks or so as an accompaniment to another meal and some more as their main meal. If you had a variety of sauces, hot, sweet, spicy, sour, salty, fruity, cheesy, what ever you can find, folk could chose and your youngest apprentices could easily manage that. Food on sticks was callt Kebabs whence I came, and it was popular.”

Iola had been thinking aloud and saying what she thought without trying to organise her thoughts and Grangon appreciated that. “Akkar Kebabs, that sounds like something I could just turn them loose on, and I like the idea of using blackseed. Gratitude, Iola. I’ll have some try it for an eve meal in a few days. I’ll have spaech with Knapps of the wire, it sounds easier than sticks and wires could be uest many times. I’ll ask him for flat metal rather than wire so the food can be turnt over easily, and I’ll see regards having wooden or bone handles on one end to avoid burnt fingers on the metal. If we cookt poacht mijom with parsley sauce, kail and white wheat, the kebabs and sauces will be an alternative main meal or as you suggestet an accompaniment. I’ll have spaech with Spoonbill of sauces and the apprentices can decide what else to put on the sticks. I’ll insist they do all their own negotiating with Dabchick and Coaltit as well as the preparation and cooking, and so it’s not obvious they are being superviest I’ll ask Polecat for one of his significant kitcheners(31) to discreetly oversee things, Camilla or Swegn would be good choices. I’ll also have spaech with Dabchick and Coaltit first, who of course won’t tell them I doet so.”

“That is cruel, Grangon,” Fulbert said laughing.

“I know, but they need a little pressure to bring them on, and they don’t need to know they won’t be allowt to fail. What bethink you, Iola?”

“I bethink me you’re a bad man, Grangon, but you’re right.” Iola too was laughing and the three parted still chuckling.

After consultation with her entire staff, who would have to mill them, it had been decided to try Iola’s idea concerning fish head bones and eyes and dry and mill everything removed from the stock not required elsewhere. They would use the resultant Fish Powder in the next batch of any fish based soup, and see whether it maekt a difference worth the effort.

The fish powder was first uest in an ocean leaf soup: Outer Isles Lettuce(32) Laksa. The powder was uest to make a fish stock in which tender varieties of ocean leaf were simmered. Gefilte, fish balls, maekt by Dabchick’s crafters from minced mixt fish trimmings, with Krill(33) and Shungiku(34) Dumples(35) maekt by Coriander’s bakers, were added towards the end of the cooking to the clear soup.

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete
7 Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastair, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift
72 Gareth, Willow, Ivy, David, Kæna,Chive, Hyssop, Birch, Lucinda, Camomile, Meredith, Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, Murre, Iola, Milligan, Yarrow, Flagstaff, Swansdown, Tenor, Morgan, Yinjærik, Silvia, Harmaish, Billie, Jo, Stacey, Juniper
73 The Growers, The Reluctants, Miriam, Roger, Lauren, Dermot, Lindsay, Scott, Will, Chris, Plume, Stacey, Juniper
74 Warbler, Jed, Veronica, Campion, Mast, Lucinda, Cormorant, Camomile, Yellowstone
75 Katheen, Raymnd, Niall, Bluebe, Sophie, Hazel, Ivy, Shadow, Allison, Amber, Judith, Storm Alwydd, Matthew, Beatrix, Jackdaw, The Squad, Elders, Jennt, Bronze, Maeve, Wain, Monique, Piddock, Melissa, Roebuck, Aaron, Carley Jade, Zoë, Vikki, Bekka, Mint, Torrent
76 Gimlet, Leech, Gwendoline, Georgina, Quail. Birchbark, Hemlock, Peter, Honesty, Bella, Hannah, Aaron, Torrent, Zoë, Bekka, Vikki, Jade, Carley, Chough, Anvil, Clematis, Stonechat, Peace, Xanders, Gosellyn, Yew, Thomas, Campion, Will, Iris, Gareth
77 Zoë, Torrent, Chough, Stonechat, Veronica, Mast, Sledge, Cloudberry, Aconite, Cygnet, Smokt
78 Jed, Warbler, Luval, Glaze, Seriousth, Blackdyke, Happith, Camilla
79 Torrent, Zoë, Stonechat, Clematis, Aaron, Maeve, Gina, Bracken, Gosellyn, Paene, Veronica, Mast, Fracha, Squid, Silverherb
80 George/Gage, Niall, Alwydd, Marcy/Beth, Freddy/Bittern, Wayland, Chris, Manic/Glen, Guy, Liam, Jed, Fergal, Sharky
81 The Squad, Manic/Glen, Jackdaw, Beatrix, Freddy/Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Wayland, Jade, Stonechat, Beauty, Mast, Veronica, Raven, Tyelt, Fid
82 Gimlet, Leech, Scentleaf, Ramsom, Grouse, Aspen, Stonechat, Bekka, Carley, Vikki, Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Jed, Warbler, Spearmint, Alwydd, Billie, Diver, Seal, Whitethorn
83 Alastair, Carrom, Céline, Quickthorn, Coral, Morgelle, Fritillary, Bistort, Walnut, Tarragon, Edrydd, Octopus, Sweetbean, Shrike, Zoë, Torrent, Aaron, Vinnek, Zephyr, Eleanor, Woad, George/Gage, The Squad, Ingot, Yellowstone, Phthalen, Will
84 Morgelle, Bistort, Fritillary, Alsike, Campion, Siskin, Gosellyn, Yew, Rowan, Thomas, Will, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Tuyere
85 Jo, Knott, Sallow, Margæt, Irena, Tabby, Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Stonechat, Spearmint, Alwydd, Seriousth, Warbler, Jed, Brett, Russel, Barleycorn, Crossbill, Lizo, Hendrix, Monkshood, Eyrie, Whelk, Gove, Gilla, Faarl, Eyebright, Alma, axx, Allan, daisy, Suki, Tull
86 Cherville, Nightshade, Rowan, Milligan, Wayland, Beth, Liam, Chris, Gage
87 Reedmace, Ganger, Jodie, Blade, Frœp, Mica, Eddique, Njacek, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Serin, Cherville, Nightshade, peregrine, Eleanor, Woad, Buzzard, Silas, Oak, Wolf, Kathleen, Reef, Raymond, Sophie, Niall, Bluebell
88 Cloud, Sven, Claudia, Stoat, Thomas, Aaron, Nigel, Yew, Milligan, Gareth, Campion, Will, Basil, Gosellyn, Vinnek, Plume
89 Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Silverherb, Cloudberry, Smokt, Skylark, Beatrix, Beth, Amethyst, Mint, Wayland, Bittern, Fiona, Fergal, Joan, Bræth, Nell, Milligan, Iola, Ashdell, Alice, Molly, Rill, Briar
90 Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Beth, Beatrix, Sanderling, Falcon, Gosellyn, Gage, Will, Fiona, Jackdaw, Wayland, Merle, Cynthia, Jed, Warbler
91 Morgelle, Tuyere, Fritillary, Bistort, Jed, Otday, The Squad, Turner, Gudrun, Ptarmigan, Swegn, Campion, Otis, Asphodel, Jana, Treen, Xeffer, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, Beatrix, Jackdaw
92 Turner, Otday, Mackerel, Eorl, Betony, The Council, Will, Yew, Basil, Gerald, Oier, Patrick, Happith, Angélique, Kroïn, Mako
93 Beth, Greensward, Beatrix, Odo, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Otday, Turner, Gace, Rachael, Groundsel, Irena, Warbler, Jed, Mayblossom, Mazun, Will, The Squad
94 Bistort, Honey, Morgelle, Basil, Willow, Happith, Mako, Kroïn, Diana, Coaltit, Gær, Lavinia, Joseph (son), Ruby, Deepwater, Gudrun, Vinnek, Tuyere, Otday, Turner
95 Turner, Otday, Waverly, Jed, Tarse, Zoë, Zephyr, Agrimony, Torrent, Columbine, Stonechat, Bekka, Vikki, Carley, The Council, Gage, Lilly
96 Faith, Oak, Lilly, Fran, Suki, Dyker, Verbena, Jenny, Bronze, Quietth, Alwydd, Evan, Gage, Will, Woad, Bluebell, Niall, Sophie, Wayland, Kathleen, Raymond, Bling, Bittern
97 Jade, Phthalen, Yumalle, Margæt, Tabby, Larov, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Brmling, Tench, Knawel, Loosestrife, Agrimony, Jana, Will, Gale, Linden, Thomas, Guelder, Jodie, Peach, Peregrine, Reedmace, Ganger, The Council, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Ellen, Gem, Beth, Geän
98 Turner, Otday, Anbar, Bernice, Silverherb, Havern, Annalen
99 Kæna, Chive, Ivy, David, Birch, Suki, Hyssop, Whitebeam, Jodie, Ganger, Reedmace, Whiteout, Sandpiper, Catherine, Braid, Maidenhair, Snowberry, Snipe, Lærie, Morgelle, Tuyere, Bistort, Fritillary, Ælfgyfu, Jennet, Cattail, Guy, Vikki, Buckwheat, Eddique, Annabelle, Fenda, Wheatear, Bram, Coolmint, Carley, Dunlin
100 Burdock, Bekka, Bram, Wheatear, Cranberry, Edrian, Gareth, George, Georgina, Quail, Birchbark, Hemlock, Bramling, Tench, Knawel, Turner, Otday, Ruby, Deepwater, Barleycorn, Russel, Gareth, Plantain, Gibb, Lizo, Thomas, Mere, Marten, Hendrix, Cuckoo, Campion, Gage, Lilly, Faith
101 Theresa, Therese, Zylanna, Zylenna, Cwm, Ivy, David, Greenshank, Buzzard, Zeeëend, Zrina, Zlovan, Torrent, Alastair, Céline, Meld, Frogbit, Midnight, Wildcat, Posy, Coral, Dandelion, Thomas, Lizo, Council
102 Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Gosellyn, Neil, Maple, Mouse, Ember, Goose, Blackcap, Suede, Gareth, Robert, Madder, Eider, Campion, Crossbill, Barleycorn, George, Céline, Midnight, Alastair, Pamela, Mullein, Swager, Msrgæt, Sturgeon, Elliot, Jake, Paris, Rosebay, Sheridan, Gælle, Maybells, Emmer, Beauty, Patricia, Chestnut, Irena, Moor
103 Steve, Limpet, Vlæna, Qorice, Crossbow, Dayflower, Flagon, Gareth, Næna, Stargazer, Willow, Box, Jude, Nathan, Ryland, Eller, Wæn, Stert, Truedawn, Martin, Campion, Raspberry
104 Coolmint, Valerian, Vikki, Hawfinch, Corncrake, Speedwell, Cobb, Bill, Gary, Chalk, Norman, Hoopoe, Firkin, Gareth, Plover, Willow, Dewberry, Terry, Squill, Campion, Tracker, Oak, Vinnek,
105 Council, Thomas, Pilot, Vinnek, Dale, Luca, Almond, Macus, Skua, Cranesbill, Willow, Campion, Georgina, Osprey, Peter, Hotsprings, Fyre, Jimbo, Saxifrage, Toby, Bruana, Shirley, Kirsty, Noah, Frost, Gareth, Turner, Otday, Eorl, Axle, Ester, Spile, David, Betony
106 Jodie, Sunshine, Ganger, Peach, Spikenard, Scallop, Hobby, Pennyroyal, Smile, Otday, Turner, Janet, Astrid, Thistle, Shelagh, Silas, Basalt, Suki, Robert, Madder, Steve, Bekka, Cowslip, Swansdown, Susan, Aqualegia, Kingfisher, Carley, Syke, Margæt, Garnet, Catkin, Caltforce, Council, Thomas, Briar, Yew, Sagon, Joseph, Gareth, Gosellyn, Campion, Will, Qvuine, Aaron, Siskin, Jasmine, Tusk, Lilac, Ash, Beech, Rebecca, Fescue
107 Helen, Duncan, Irena, Scent, Silk, Loosestrife, Tench, Knawel, Bramling, Grebe, Madder, Robert, Otter, Luval, Honey, Beth, Beatrix, Falcon, Amethyst, Janet, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Fiona, Blackdyke, Bittern, George, Axel, Oak, Terry, Wolf, Vinnek, Dittander, Squill, Harmony, Jason, Lyre, Iola, Heron, Yew, Milligan, Alice, Crook, Eudes, Abigail, Gibb, Melanie, Storm, Annabelle, Eddique, Fenda, Lars, Reedmace, Jodie, Aaron, Nigel, Thomas Will
108 Aldeia, Coast, Chris, Wayland, Liam, Gage, Fiona, Fergal, Beth, Greensward, Jackdaw, Warbler, Jed, Guy, Bittern, Spearmint, Alwydd, Storm, Judith, Heidi, Iola, heron, Beatrix, Harle, Parsley, Fledgeling, Letta, Cockle, Puffin, Adela, Gibb, Coaltit, Dabchick, Morris, Lucimer, Sharky, Rampion, Siskin, Weir, Alsike, Milligan, Gosellyn, Wolf, campion, Gareth, Aaron, Nigel, Geoffrey, Will, Roebuck, Yew
109 George, Lyre, Iola, Milligan, Gibb, Adela, Wels, Francis, Weir, Cliff, Siward, Glæt, Judith, Madder, Briar, Axel, Molly, Coaltit, Dabchick, Bluesher, Qvuine, Spoonbill, Ashridge, Morris
110 Nectar, Cattail, Molly, Floatleaf, Timothy, Guy, Judith, Briar, Axel, Storm, Beatrix, Iola, Coaltit, Siward, Cockle, Gibb, Lune, Manchette, Gellica, Dabchick, Morris, Sycamore, Eudes, Fulbert, Abigail, Milligan, Ashridge
111 Iola, Turner, Otday, Alwydd, Will, Dabchick, Sgœnne, Coriander, Saught, Ingot, Molly, Vivienne, Michelle, Nancy, Fledgeling, Letta, Milligan, Spoonbill, Knawel, Beaver, Cnut, Godwin, Ilsa, Holdfast, Jeanne, Tara, Lanfranc, Furrier, Joseph, Crag, Adela, Jason, Judith, Gem, Wolf, Storm, Terry, Axel, George, Oak, Coaltit, Posy, Gage, Bluesher, Nigel, Heron, Aaron, Orchid, Morris, Russell, Thomas, Eudes, Ashridge, Polecat, Redstart, Herleva, Fletcher, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Lilac, Elaine, Kaya, Fulbert, Buzzard, Raymond, Firefly, Roebuck, Francis, Cliff, Odo, Alice, Grangon
112 Council, Bruana, Iola, Kirsty, Glen, Shirley, Wormwood, Noah, Aaron, Dabchick, Nigel, Judith, Milligan, Campion, Gibb, Morris, Polecat, Ilsa, Glæt, Braun, Turbot, Voë, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Sledge, Cloudberry, Smockt, Burgloss, Hubert, Skylark, Srossa, Cygnet, Uri, Cnara, Sexday, Luuk, Slew, Quinnea, Roach, Vosgælle, Siward, Adela, Bluesher, Olga, Amæ, Helen, Odo, Wels, Camomile, Fulbert, Ashridge, Swaille, Gren, Spoonbill, Alwydd, Puffin, Chub, Gage, Ivy, Sippet, Orcharder, Knapps, Eudes, Fledgeling, Cnut, Letta, Nightjar, Greensward, Saught, Carver, Wlnoth, Flagstaff, Coaltit, Thresher, Parsley, Harle, Coriander

113 Aaron, Glæt, Braum, Sandpiper, Ellflower, Abigail, Nigel, Morris, Iola, Ivana, Zena, Trefoil, Comfrey, Scorp, Milligan, Ashridge, Polecat, Gibb, Basil, Knapps, Sagon, Pleasance, Posy, Woad, Will, Gage, Strath, Eric, Ophæn, Coriander, Vivienne, Michelle, Camilla, Odo, Siward, Swaille, Fulbert, Adela, Coaltit, Dabchick, Eudes, Harle, Matthew, Grangon, Hayrake, David, Gellica, Biteweed, Heron, Qvuine, Hjötron, Fledgeling, Parsley, Spoonbill, Greensward, Bluesher, Beatrix, Roebuck, Sagon, Letta, Carver, Wlnoth, Beaver, Saught, Swegn

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).
Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Cousine, female cousin.
Doet, did. Pronounced dote.
Doetn’t, didn’t. Pronounced dough + ent.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Grandparents. In Folk like in many Earth languages there are words for either grandmother and grandfather like granddad, gran, granny. There are also words that are specific to maternal and paternal grandparents. Those are as follows. Maternal grand mother – granddam. Paternal grandmother – grandma. Maternal grandfather – grandfa. Paternal grandfather – grandda.
Heartfriend, a relationship of much more significance than being a girl- or boy-friend is on Earth. Oft such relationships are formed from as young as four and they are taken seriously by both children and adults. A child’s heartfriend is automatically one of their heartfriend’s parents’ children too, and a sibling to their heartfriend’s siblings. Such relationships rarely fail and are seen as precursors to becoming intendet and having agreement.
Intendet, fiancée or fiancé.
Knoewn, knew.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Loes, lost.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Seeën, saw.
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.

1 Tellin, a small tasty, often pink coloured, marine bivalve. In a tellin is equivalent to in a nutshell.
2 Instrument, in this context a document.
3 Whiteleaf, a cabbage with a pale almost white centre but dark green outer leafs. Cultivars of Brassica oleracea.
4 Starchroots, floury potatoes. Waxy potatoes are referred to as waxroots, though the distinction is neither absolute nor always adhered to.
5 Noith, unwilling to accept anything new.
6 Sgones, scones.
7 Topwale, the reinforced top edge of the side of a ship, literally the top wale or top plank, equivalent to the gunwale.
8 Mijom, a large oceanic pelagic fish which may reach two hundred and fifty weights. The flesh is like that of tuna and there is little waste on mijom. They are tasty and much sought after by the Folk. Mijom is pronounced me + hom, mi:hɒm.
9 Akkar, squid, calamari.
10 Kine, cattle. In this context beef.
11 Syskon(en), sibling(s).
12 Fain, happily, an adverb.
13 Vanya, nearly, almost, nigh to.
14 Redroots, carrots, often cooked and served with the green tops still on. Redroots may be any colour from black, perse (purple), red, sunset (orange), yellow and white, but most are red.
15 Perseroot, turnip usually with purple shoulders. Perse is the Folk word for the colour purple.
16 Braeken meats, literally broken meats, the unuest meat from cooked joints which have been partially uest.
17 Infuser, a container with many small holes on a long, hooked handle. The flavourings are placed in the container which is left in the kettle during the cooking process for the flavourings to infuse into the dish. The hook goes over the kettle lip and removal is thus easy.
18 Bigroot, sometimes referred to by the Folk as mangels. Mangels are called mangels, mangel worzels or fodder beet on Earth. Since they grow quickly, are hardy and crop reliably, oft reaching fifty weights, they are extensively grown to be eaten by the Folk as well as their livestock. The varieties grown by the Folk also provide strong tasting and nutritious greens particularly popular with venison. They are also popular uest cooked then chopped to be mixt with cold mashed starchroots which are flattened to the size of a dinner plate and a wiedth thick before oven cooking with grated cheese on top till the cheese melts. The quartered pieces are known as Leaf Melts, and served with a wide variety of meals. Other dark greens are uest similarly.
19 Conegrass, maize. Zea mays subspecies mays.
20 Sharpleaf, nasturtium. Tropaeolum many species. The immature seeds are pickled in mild vinegar with sugar, salt and flavourings, often dill sprigs or coriander seeds..
21 Skirret or crummock, Sium sisarum.
22 Sharproot, winter radish.
23 Longroot, burdock root.
24 Yellow sour, a hardy lemon like citrus fruit.
25 Fennel has feathery looking leafs.
26 Comfort, uest in this context by the Folk means leeway or latitude.
27 Ocean leaf, generic term for all edible seaweed. Seaweed is a term reserved by the Folk for that collected for fire fuel, compost or other non culinary uses.
28 Edgers, tasty fungus found growing on trees at freshwater margins unique to Castle.
29 Seagreen, sea lettuce, Ulva lactuca, an ocean leaf. Some varieties are red.
30 Blackseed, a grass seed similar to wild rice.
31 Kitchener, though part of the kitchen staff the kitcheners are a distinct craft comprising kitchen supervisors and their staff of servers, waiters, dish washers and storekeepers.
32 Lettuce, refers to sea lettuce, Ulva lactuca.
33 Krill, small crustaceans of the order Euphausiacea.
34 Shungiku, edible chrysanthemum leaf, chop suey greens, Glebionis coronaria.
35 Dumples, dumplings.

up
13 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos