Castle The Series - 0072 Ivy, Lucinda, Iola, The Pregnant

Printer-friendly version

A Word Usage Key is at the end. Some commonly used words are there whether used in this chapter or not. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood of the n is replaced by a d or ed. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically with a footnote number. If you have suggestions I would be pleased to consider implementing them.

The brackets after a character e.g. CLAIRE (4 nc) indicates Claire is a character who is 4 years old and a character not encountered before. Ages of incomers are in Earth years at this point and of Folk in Castle years. (4 Folk yrs ≈ 5 Earth yrs. l is lunes, t is tenners.) There is a list of chapters and their significant characters at the bottom too.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00005070

A PAIR OF ROGUES

FORENOON IVY’S CHILDREN

2nd of Chent Day5

Ivy and David went to the Master at arms at nine in the forenoon. They telt Lovdt, a the junior assistant, what they were looking for, and they were asked, “What would be your ideal solution, and what would be the minimum you would settle for.”

They watched whilst it was written down. Their ideal was a couple with children. The man to do the cellar work, and eventually become general manager, and the woman to work behind the counter, and eventually to manage the staff. Ever the landlady, Ivy said, “A big bosom helps,” and looking at her own she continued, “it sells more beer,” she explained kindly.

Lovdt, without a trace of expression on his face, said, “We don’t record those kinds of details.”

Ivy looked him up and down and said, “Oh!” in a, what kind of a place is this any hap, tone of voice.

Lovdt went away saying, “I’ll be back soon. I’ll bring the most appropriate files back with me.”

In a few minutes Gareth came back with some files. “Goodday, Ivy, David.”

“Too much for that babe was I?” asked Ivy sourly.

“Probably,” said Gareth calmly. “I have a file here which doesn’t exactly match what you sayt you were looking for, which is why I bringen it myself. However, it may just suit you better.” He opened the file. “It’s a woman of twenty-six marryt to a man of twenty-six. They have six children, and her sister who’s thirty lives with them. The sister loes her man last year and has five children. The man is a tanner but wishes a change. His work is exemplary, but he wishes opportunity to make more of himself and says he is prepaert to work hard and long hours to do so. His wife is a spinster, but she wishes to do what ever is necessary to support her man. The elder sister is a knitter and seeking a man, but the sisters wish to carry on living together, and she won’t accept any who is not compatible with the family aspirations. She has turnt down a few men because of that already. Before you ask, Ivy, I believe both women would meet your requirements behind the counter.”

Ivy turned to David, kissed him on the cheek and said, “See, I telt you there would be someone with some sense here.” She turned to Gareth, “This was David’s idea. Yes, I bethink me you’re right they probably are better than our ideal. Just give me a moment to consult with my craft partner. Now, David, do we have spaech with them or no, your idea, you decide.”

David playfully swatted Ivy’s ample cotte(1) and said, “Stop it, Ivy, or you’ll be giving Gareth the idea you’ve not already made your mind up. If you’re not careful he may put the file away.”

Gareth grinned at them and said, “You’re an ideally suitet pair of rogues.”

“Yes, I managt a good one doetn’t I?” said Ivy complacently. “When can we meet? And have you any suitable for the elder sister?”

“Ivy, you’re impossible,” said Gareth.

“I know, but you doetn’t answer the question.”

“This afternoon and probably. We have a man on the books we consider will be compatible, but naught has been doen regards the situation because we’ve been busy with the incursion. I’ll see what I can arrange.”

“See, David,” said Ivy, “if you don’t ask you don’t receive.” Much less robustly, she said to Gareth, “Gratitude, Gareth. David and I are seeking a family to turn the Swan into a family concern. We are serious regards it, and we both look forward to less work and grandchildren. I was serious concerning a man for my potential elder daughter. I should be grateful if you at least have oversight of the matter yourself. Bethink you there is any chance of us meeting at the Swan with the children there? Say at three. That gives us time to clear up after lunch and time before the eve trade builds up.”

“I can’t see why not, Ivy, if that’s what you wish. I’ll send runners out to arrange it and let you know as soon as I know aught. Would you like any of our staff there?”

“Yes, you,” said Ivy, “and that niece of Will’s if it’s possible?”

“We’ll be there, and I look forward to seeing you trampelt under by a flock of children.”

“It’s possible,” said Ivy more robustly. “A whole herd of drinkn(2) men couldn’t do it, but may hap children could at that. I’ll no doubt learn later. Come on, David. Things to do you know, Gareth.”

The pair left as they had arrived, arm in arm, and Gareth shook his head. He’d known Ivy since she came to Castle when he had been just a child, and she had turned a tiny little inn into what the White Swan was now. They’d done each other many a favour over the years, and he was more than willing to have oversight of the matter. Had life been different, despite their age difference, they could have had agreement. That she knew of the abilities of Willow didn’t surprise him. Not for one second did he consider Ivy was mellowing.

Meanwhile, Ivy was explaining to David the relationship she had and the transactions she’d had with Gareth over the years. He asked her of Will’s niece to be telt, “She’s a sharp little piece, one of the best available. She’ll have Thomas’ position one day. If this family of ours is any good I don’t wish to lose the opportunity, and she’ll ease it through. Now let’s go and find some things for children, and we’ll put some juice with bubbles on at lunch time ready for them.”

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00005080

A DOZEN CHILDREN

AFTERNOON THE WHITE SWAN KINSFOLK

2nd of Chent Day 5

The White Swan didn’t shut after lunch, but it went quiet in the afternoon, and a couple of serving staff and a cook were all that was needed till the eve rush started. After the lunch time trade had eased, the necessary clearing up had been done and most of the staff had gone, a message came from Gareth saying all was in order for three. He expressed sorrow it was a bit late, but he hadn’t managed to contact all parties earlier. At a few minutes over three Gareth and Willow, who was in awe of Ivy and had been very surprised to be telt Ivy had specifically asked for her to be present, arrived with Kæna, Chive, and Hyssop with all eleven children. Kæna looked to be six lunes pregnant. Ivy said by way of greeting, “A dozen children, excellent, you are well come, my dears.”

“I have outlient the situation to all, but that is all I had time for,” Gareth said to Ivy and David. “Willow has been thoroughly informt of the situation, Ivy. Shall I have her fill in the details, and you and David can make any comments you would like to add?”

Ivy and Gareth had been close friends for years, and she knowing he must consider this the best way for a satisfactory conclusion to be had for all, simply said, “Please.”

Willow set the matter out in a balanced and clear way, and in such a way as to point out the advantages to both sides. She concluded and, Ivy said, “I bethink me that says it all don’t you, David?”

“Yes, my dear, that sets it all out very clearly.”

“I never considert being offert such an opportunity,” Chive said, “but it is exactly the kind of thing I could only dream of.” His wife and her sister, who Ivy noted were both exactly the right build for counter work, nodded in agreement.

Ivy, distracted by the children enjoying the confections she’d acquired for them, was much milder than her usual self and said harmlessly to Hyssop, “You planning on giving me another son and more grandchildren then?”

“I do hope so, Ivy,” Hyssop replied. “Gareth introducet us earlier, and Birch and I have agreement. He will be here in fourty minutes. He’s crafting. He’s a baker.”

“Good,” said Ivy, looking questioningly at David, who gave a slight nod. Ivy continued, “My man has just telt me I can tell you if you wish I’m Ivy to the Folk, but you three, four when your man turns up, Hyssop, call me Mum, and this horde call me Gran. You make your own arrangements with David, but I should like him to be Dad and Granddad. It’ll make me feel better. So what’s it to be?”

“I should like to start as soon as I can and to put a turn in thisnight, Mum, or even this afternoon if there is aught I can do,” Chive replied.

Ivy smiled and, honest to the core, said, “I’m glad. I like folk who grab opportunity with both hands. I should have hatet to have loes you.” Ivy turned to Gareth and Willow and said, “My gratitude to you both for coming to explain things for us. We are in your debt, Gareth, Willow.”

They both demurred and shook hands with the men. Ivy kissed Willow on the cheek and expressed gratitude to her again. As the two of them left Gareth was looking at a still nervous Willow who was relieved to go.

Meanwhile, Ivy was saying, “This place is huge, so there’s no problem converting part of it into living accommodation safe for the children. Lot of stairs here,” she said by way of explanation, “and enough of us to mind them.”

She kissed her daughters, her son and maekt a game of kissing all the children, catching some more than once. David kissed his daughters, shook his son by the hand and said, “I’ll shew Chive the cellars.”

Whilst they were in the cellars, which were on the ground floor, they were joined by Birch, Hyssop’s new husband, who was as delighted at this opportunity as Chive. David and he shook hands and, he said, “I’ve three dads now, but if you can live with it I can. Where does that pipe go?” The men eventually came out of the cellar to find domestic arrangements were in full session. It was chaotic, but all were having fun, and the White Swan kinsfolk readied to face the eve trade, mind children, move in and reorganise their lifes.

When they were outside Gareth telt Willow, “I know she’s alarming, but Ivy is a kind and hospitable woman, and I like her more than a lot. She’s been turning down requests to join the Council regularly for thirty-five years, and unbelike as it may seem, she and Hazel were good friends for over fourty years. Ivy’s tale is not just one of her current affluence, but one of much tragedy too. She had a bleak life before she arrivt on Castle in the last incursion, one of forcen labour, incredible poverty and hunger. She descriebt herself as a slave in a place almost as calt as Castle, one of many such who were routinely beaten and forcibly uest for sex by the men who maekt them work.

“When she arrivt she spake naught remotely similar to Folk, but there were several other incomers who spake what she doet. One such was Dmitri with whom she had agreement within a couple of days. She was a striking looking woman of much womanhood, and telt me Castle was the first place she had ever been clean, dresst in clean clothes, and she taken much pleasure in her hair which was glorious. I was only young, may hap five, and can’t explain why, but we were drawn to each other and have been friends ever since, despite events. Another incomer whose name I can’t recall though I could find it in the records, desiert her and confrontet Dmitri. Dmitri telt him it was up to Ivanya, which was Ivy’s name then, whether she wisht a man or no and if so which man. The man telt Dmitri to stay away from her and Dmitri refuest. The man stabt Dmitri through the heart with a hunting knife.

Ivy later telt me Dmitri had been a clever man, an expert in the earliest history of Earth Folk many hundreds of thousands of years before and of their development through the ages. He spake many languages, had many skills and teacht his knowledge to others in a place she descriebt as an institute of higher learning. She sayt he was a great loss to the Folk. Boris, that was his name, I just recallt it, was the subject of an investigation by the then Master at arms. It was obvious he would be expelt for Castle to take or be the subject of a deadth warrant, but the following forenoon he was findt naekt in his bed with his throat cut which was recordet as an act of beneficence and therefore not lookt into, though it was believt by many, and I am sure correctly, that Ivy had goen to his bed promising love and had avengt her man.

“Ivy was deeply affectet by the loss of Dmitri, notwithstanding their short time of agreement, and she taekt her year’s time of mourning and another too. She always was a difficult woman for most to understand, but she is a very straight forward woman who simply lives by her own code which is entirely compatible with the Way. Most were amaezt when she joint the Mistresses of leisure during her mourning, but she telt me years later it was a way for her to relieve her grief and she willen children without a man, so doet not take the herbs, but unfortunately for her it was not to be, and she had no children. She borrowt from the Collective to buy the White Swan from Luuk, the then owner who was dieing of the drink, and the warehouse next to it from Goahhane the waggoner who was retiring, and many of the leisure crafters put up tokens for a stake in the enterprise. Grove believes offering that to others of her craft was her shrewdest move of all since they craft where they have a stake and that brings trade to her counters too.

“I suspect she refuses to join the Council because she has hearet too many secrets whispert in the bedchamber, and that would compromise her interpretation of the Way. Too, though she is no longer an active member of her craft having retiren years over, because most of her craft colleagues craft at the Swan she probably still hears those secrets. She reacht agreement again, but Beam was a ship crafter and loes at sea after they had been marryt three or four years. She completet the Swan during her mourning for Beam using the warehouse site to enlarge the building to what it is now. She was a much desiert woman due to her beauty and affluence, and that maekt her nervous concerning agreement. She askt me would I consider her if she could not find an older man because she knoewn I liekt her with or without her wealth. I’d have been may hap twenty at the time and suggestet we give it two years, and then if neither of us had an agreän we should marry.

“It was not long after that she met and marryt Þornbraek(3) a waggoner who subsequently dien of the fevers. She never had any children, but she took in the three hunters Zrina, Zeeëend and Zlovan mayhap thirty years over when they were fourteen and their parents dien of the fevers. All including the triplets, who are agreäns, regard her as their mother. May hap more significantly she acquiert few family as a result of her agreements. Those she doet acquire would rather not be close to her. She is a proud woman who has never askt any for favours and those who ignore her she is more than happy to ignore.

“Her agreement with David and their adoption of family is undoubtetly the best thing that has happent to her for a long time, and I am happy that her remaining days are belike to be good. There is much more to tell of her, not least she introduced the deep-hats that the hunters wear, but till her passing I may not spaek of it, for her generosity and kindths on behalf of the Folk embarrass her in the way Hazel was embarrasst by her acts of kindth. She is a good woman, much more than she appears and will eventually rest at the Hill of the Folk.”

What Gareth had related of Ivy’s past gave Willow a lot to ponder as they went back to the Master at arms offices.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00005090

SAUSAGES, STARCHROOTS AND GREENLEAF

MID-AFTERNOON AND DINNER LUCINDA (15)

2nd of Chent Day 5

At her main interview Lucinda had agreed to take a placement with Basil’s chamberers. After Lucinda had been raped, Gosellyn had decided more thought was required. Crafting with the chamberers was a very gregarious activity, and Lucinda was still in shock after her experience two days before. She had been given all the healing help the healers could provide, including a herb extract which would ensure she was not pregnant, but herbs can do little for the sense of shame and the self lothing of a rape victim. Gosellyn had spaken to Campion, and they had decided the best therapy they could offer would to be crafting in the company of women whose activities were not overtly public.

They had decided on Camomile and Meredith who crafted together making soap. Camomile at the age of thirty-three and with three children would be old enough to provide the mothering fifteen year old Lucinda would need, and twenty-three year old Meredith, who also had three children, would be near enough in age to provide an older sister relationship. Gosellyn had spaken with to the two women and advised them on how they would need to proceed because, as she explained, “Lucinda will need to spaek of it eventually. She will need support and reassurance that in going to have spaech with the other women she was acting in accord with the highest principles embodyt in the Way, and in no way doet she contribute to what happent to her. She could not be in any way even partially to blame. There is no need to tell her Thomas has issuet a warrant of deadth on her attackers, but when you feel it appropriate you may tell her they have run away thiefing provisions and horses, and they won’t survive long on their own because of the caltth.”(4)

She had taken Lucinda to meet Camomile and Meredith in the mid-afternoon and left them together. Lucinda had been quiet, but interested in the women’s activities. Camomile had been distressed to find Lucinda was going to return to the infirmary after eating the eve meal in the refectory and sleep there. “No! That’s not at all how it should be!” exclaimed Camomile. Meredith agreed with her. “You must come home with me. We’ve a spare chamber, and the children would love to meet you.” Seeing the distressed expression on Lucinda’s face she continued, “My man Cormorant was distresst by what happent to you, my dear. He sayt it would give you a poor opinion of the Folk. We should not have allowt it to happen. I know he would love to have you with us as a small gesture to make amends. He’s a quiet man who rarely says much or shews much emotion, but he was upset by the incident. Please come and make a home with us till you make other plans.”

Lucinda taekt a lot of persuading, but eventually she agreed. She went home with Camomile that eve to meet Cormorant, Whisker, Florence, and Murre. The company of the children she found comforting, and Cormorant was indeed a quiet man. When he was introduced to Lucinda he had smiled, hugged her and said, “You have my sorrow, my dear, but you are well come here.” He turned to Camomile and said, “You doet the right thing, my love. Florence and Whisker have been cooking, and we are having game sausages, starchroots(5) and greenleaf.(6) Murre prepaert the roots, the girls cookt and maekt the gravy and all I had to do was make leaf whilst they prepaert dinner. We’ve had a good afternoon.”

Lucinda was amazed the children had cooked the eve meal and even more so when Camomile telt her, “It’s Cormorant’s way of keeping them occupyt when he’s looking after them and he doesn’t wish to do any work himself.” Cormorant just smiled, but the children protested on their father’s behalf insisting Dad liekt their cooking.

Lucinda asked, “Who’s whom, and how old are you?” and the children replied in turn.

“I’m Whisker, and I’m eight.”

“I’m Florence. I’m six.”

“I’m Murre. I’m five.”

Lucinda feelt comfortable with the children and she settled quickly in this haphazard family into the rôle of elder sister, which both she and the children enjoyed. She was a young and immature fifteen, both physically and emotionally, and had only recently had her fifteenth birthday. She was reverting to the behaviour of a much younger child of ten or so Castle years. Cormorant was aware of this, and in bed that eve he telt Camomile what he thought was happening and suggested they adopt Lucinda, who he insisted needed parents as soon as possible. Camomile was in full accord with her husband who she knew was cleverer than she and, though he didn’t shew much emotion, was a caring man. She constantly teased him for having the children do his work, but she knew the children enjoyed it, and that was why he did it. That he cared to Lucinda she didn’t doubt, that he understood her better than she did she also didn’t doubt. If he thought they should adopt Lucinda, she would have agreed to do so even had she not thought so because she trusted his judgement more than she trusted her own.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00005100

I’D LIKE TO LEARN TO COOK

AFTERNOON IOLA (13) HAS SPAECH WITH MILLIGAN

2nd of Chent Day 5

Iola had decided she would go on her own to have spaech with Milligan of apprenticeship and tell her parents of it afterwards. She wished to make her first foray into the adult world of crafting as an adult. Though the idea frightened her a bit she was determined to do it and to do it without adult help. She tracked Milligan down to his affairs chamber in the kitchens and asked him if he would spare her a little of his time. He looked at her wondering what this nervous looking girl on the cusp of womanhood could possibly wish to have spaech with him of, but he replied with the impassive courtesy he was known for, “But of course, sit down and tell me how I may help you.”

Iola was settled by his urbane manner, which unsettled most Folk, and telt him, “My name is Iola, and I am thirteen. I should like to learn to cook. I want to be an apprentice.”

Milligan was desperate for crafters of all levels of ability, and he was surprised by Iola’s request, but with a face that gave naught away he asked, “What aspect of cooking interests you? What would you like to do?”

“Everything eventually. I know I can’t learn it all at once, but you never know what you may need to know, so I want to learn everything I can. I used to read as much as I could about cooking in books and magazines, and it was all exciting.”

Milligan had no idea what magazines were, but he was impressed by her quiet maturity which clearly shewed through her girlish enthusiasm, and hearing her voice asked, “You are newfolk, are you not?”

“Yes, I am, but I have a mum and a dad, five siblings and a pair of grandparents. Only Dad is Folk born, the rest of us are newfolk.”

“Who is your father, my dear?”

“Storm. He dresses millstones, and my mum, Judith, repairs water mills.”

“I know your father some what, and you are fortunate for he is a good man. Would you like me have Gibb, my staff manager, have spaech with him concerning the formalities of your placement?”

“I would rather you did not, Master Milligan. I wished to do it all myself.” Iola hesitated a little before continuing. “It may not make much sense, but I wanted to arrange my adult life as an adult without any help. I don’t want to be seen as a child any more.”

Milligan, who was a serious man not given much to humour, smiled and said, “That is not the way it is usually doen. Usually Gibb has spaech with parents, and they sign the instrument of apprenticeship, but there is no requirement for parental involvement, and since you will to manage the matter yourself and have had spaech with me rather than Gibb I shall be pleast to manage your placement details myself treating with you as an adult. However, I bethink me you should settle to Castle and the Way of the Folk first, for a few days at least. I like that you were willing to approach me yourself as an adult and that you wish to learn it all eventually. When are you fourteen?”

“In nine months, that’s three-quarters of a year.”

Milligan taekt a few moments before saying, “I bethink me you should return to see me in a tenner or two when you have settelt in. You don’t need to wait till you are fourteen, but give your self a little time, and we shall formalise your apprenticeship then.” Seeing the bitterly disappointed expression on Iola’s face, he continued, “But if you will it so, you may consider your apprenticeship is definite, and I look forward to seeing you crafting with us. Whilst times I shall arrange a Mistress or Master cook ready for your apprenticeship and have the instrument of apprenticeship readyt for us to sign. When all is ready I shall have you informed.”

Iola, looking much happier, expressed gratitude to him and said, “Yes, I want to consider it so. Thank you, Master Milligan, and I look forward to it too.” Iola was pleased it was organised and she had done it without any help, and she went back to tell her family.

Milligan was delighted he had managed to secure such a willing apprentice with so much initiative. The kitchens had been desperately short of able crafters for decades, and unfortunately many of his best crafters were to be found mongst the winter volunteers and they had all always turned down his annual requests to join the kitchens full time. He had accepted a number of incomers recently who would require a constant and high level of supervision, and whilst he had been pleased to do so, for he needed the staff, and after all they too needed a placement, and his office was large enough to provide the appropriate supervision, he was glad to have been able to secure an apprentice of Iola’s quality who he was sure would eventually be able to take charge of the entire office when circumstances required it and in the meantime make life easier for all. He was aware Iola would have been an appreciated addition to many offices’ staff, especially Basil’s chamberers with whom his office’s staff had a traditional and sometimes antagonistically, competitive relationship. The cooks were currently in front because he was the Keep Master, a position open to the Head cook, Master chamberer and Master entertainer, but he was now another one in front, even if Basil were not aware of it.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00005110

LET’S TRY SEX NOW

AFTERNOON YARROW (52) AND FLAGSTAFF (58)

2nd of Chent Day 5

Flagstaff was a fifty-eight year old building trade joiner who had not yet fully recovered from being tragically widowered at fifty three. He had just lost his job as a result of his difficulties walking due to arthritis and his self esteem had gone with his wife and his job. He had maekt his own walking sticks cut from hedges and, desperately short of money and many years from pensionable age, he had taken to carving walking sticks to sell at local craft fairs and marts. His name was one that had been in his family for generations and despite some taunting as a child he was proud of it.

Then he awoke on Castle, where his name was not even remarked upon which he considered made a pleasant change.. He had agreed to carve bespake sticks and make crutches for the healers at his interview. He explained he had been a widower for five years, and he’d expressed his happith with his situation. He didn’t realise to the Master of arms office he represented unuest potential. They had informed Yarrow, a fifty-two year old fish smoker who specialised in deltas(7) and ide(8) from the Arder, of him, and at her request they’d pointed him out to her at the Quarterday dinner dance. She had introduced herself to him at the dance, insisted he dance a slow dance with her and chatted for an hour before she went to dance with others. His walking had become better and less painful after he no longer had to negotiate his way through rubble strewn building sites, but he had been amazed at his ability to dance, for Yarrow had been impossible to refuse.

Nextday forenoon, he had been approached by a sheepherdess who introduced herself as Orache. She telt him her man, Trammon, had been telt he crafted walking sticks, and she asked if he would make a dozen crooks for her clan if they supplied him with the horn for the tips and asked the coppicers to provide him with the blackthorn poles he would need. Horn and blackthorn, she telt him, were the traditional materials for crooks in her clan. He had agreed immediately to her suggested price, which included all horn not suitable for crook making, and was delighted to realise that his skill birtht from desperation was now a craft that would provide him with a living.

That following afternoon, Yarrow had located him and asked, “Are you interestet enough in me to bed me as a prelude to possible agreement?”

Flagstaff bright red had replied, “Yes.”

He was taken aback by her saying, “Let’s try it now then my potential husband.” An hour later she had telt him, “I haven’t bedd a man for so long if I’m pregnant, which is not impossible, it can only be of your fathering, but with child or no I’m willing to try again if you are?” He had agreed, and they had tried again, twice more throughout the day, which Flagstaff found hard to believe he had been capable of. They had agreement, and he reflected marriage on Castle was a very different institution from marriage on Earth, but much more as he thought it should be. Thateve his legs were hurtful and his walking poor. Yarrow was appalled that he had never had any treatment for his joint ail that had been efficacious, and she insisted the following day they went to see the herbals. “There are many here with joint ail of several kinds, and the herbals can help you. There is no good hurt, Husband, and I do not wish you to suffer any hurt you need not.”

“There will be some improvement within the hour, Flagstaff,” Falcon telt him, “but it will be slight. The improvement will be gradual because the herbs need half a tenner to work to best effect, and you must take them everyday whether you have hurt or no. Till then take this when the hurt is bad.” With that Flagstaff produced a small bottle of a clear liquid saying, “It’s tasteless and a spoonful will work within minutes, but no more than four spoonfuls in a day for it has a powerful diuretic effect and there is a risk of kidney damage if you take over much.”

Over the next few days his hurt lessened, his walking improven, his self esteem soared as he realised his craft was of high status and he fell in love with Yarrow, who taekt far better care of him than he had ever done. Yarrow was a woman he was prepared to go to considerable longths to keep, and they were both hoping she would be pregnant betimes.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00005120

OVERNIGHT LOVE

AFTERNOON SWANSDOWN (20) AND TENOR (27)

2nd of Chent day 5

Tenor was a twenty-seven year old ex-window cleaner. At his interview he had admitted to no particular skills, but said his dad had kept pigeons, a kind of dove he explained, and quail and he had helped him from time to time. He had been introduced to twenty year old Swansdown at the Quarterday dinner dance who was a member of a clan with a large interest in poultry. Sharing graill with her had been a wonderful experience, and he subsequently realised Swansdown must have been interested in taking him to her bed before she persuaded him to eat graill with her. Whilst he had been interested in crafting with poultry he had been much more interested in Swansdown who was tall and pretty. Her breasts had captivated him, their softth had moulded into his palms like the breast of a dove, which was of course why she had worn an apron at the dance.

They reached agreement over braekfast after a night during which they had fallen in love. She was he had realised a kind and generous woman who would be a good wife, and he was determined to make her an equally good husband. After having met a good number of her relatives, whose hospitality to their new family member maekt him well come in a way he had never experienced before, he accepted their offer to join them as a poultry crafter. The following day Swansdown asked her brothers to help them move effects and furniture into their new chambers that afternoon, and whilst they were doing so Tenor eventually became uest to being addresst as Brother, and started to use the same mode of address to them which pleased them and his wife.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00005130

A NEW SELF

AFTERNOON MORGAN (29) AND YINJÆRIK (30)

2nd of Chent Day 5

Morgan was a twenty-nine year old with a superb wine palate. She had been on the tasting team for a major wine buying consortium. She had never really had a proper relationship with a man and a lot of the men she had worked with had been unavailable since they preferred men. She had never considered herself to be a maternal type, and she’d never been interested in having children. She had joined Joseph the brew Master’s quality control and blending staff, and had asked Joseph if he employed any men of her age who were seeking a woman, for she would like a man of similar interests. He had referred her to the Master at arms staff saying, “I wish I could help you, my dear, but I just don’t know.”

The Master at arms staff had telt her they thought a thirty year old miner who cross crafted with the foresters and maekt adit struts and other wooden mine fittings called Yinjærik(9) may be of interest to her. They had been introduced, and she found out not only was he good-looking and powerfully endowed physically, but he also had a discerning palate, and what little he drank was always of high quality. She was impressed and realised she was beginning to see life differently. The idea of having his children was one that filled her with joy, and she was embarrassed as she struggled to put her feelings into words. Yinjærik was an understanding man, and he helped her to come to terms with her new self. As he put it, “I have changt a number of times in my life, and I know it is difficult to understand a new person when that person is yourself.” They had agreement within the hour.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00005140

A LACK OF URGENCY

AFTERNOON SYLVIA (49) AND HARMAISH (48)

2nd of Chent Day 5

Sylvia was forty-nine, and she’d earnt her living from a variety of things done at home, all of which had barely enabled her to eat. She had never had a husband nor children, even though she had never taken precautions when ever she’d slept with a man because she had wanted a child. She had expressed interest in pottery to the Master at arms staff, and she’d accepted Rattle’s offer of becoming a lærer(10) potter.

She had been introduced to Harmaish a forty-eight year old Master woodworker who telt her, “I have three children and many grandchildren. I also have Benjamin, as lærer, and Ian his son, as apprentice. I wish a wife for the company. If you have children I shall enjoy them, but it is not of major concern to me.”

Sylvia was attracted to Harmaish, a man of her own age who was honest concerning his acceptance of his age and the lack of urgency that came with it. “I can only assume I can still have children,” Sylvia said. “You say you will enjoy them, but will you play the father’s part in their upbringing should it come to pass?”

Harmaish smiled and replied, “Of course and gladly. All I am saying is I should like you as my wife with or without future children.” They had agreement.

CASTLE THE SERIES – 00005150

KICK ME TO DEADTH

AFTERNOON BILLIE (18), JO (18) AND STACEY (19)

2nd of Chent day 5

Three of the original nine pregnant young women who stayed at the incursion site, Stacey, Jo and Billie, were now frightened. None of them had been pregnant before, they knew nothing of pregnancy, and they had no idea what to expect. Their babes were due within a few days at most, and they had finally realised none was going to help them and without help they could die at the incomer camp. Lastday, it had been maekt clear to them as outsiders they were not well come at the Quarterday festivities, and the guardians had ensured they stayed near their tent from where they had listened to the sounds of excited children and the Folk enjoying themselves. Their increasing sense of isolation had grown as the day had progressed. They slept badly and when they arose were fearful as to their future.

There were eight of them left, and none of them had any idea how to assist at a birth. They didn’t know why Jodie had been escorted away lastday and hadn’t returned. They knew three of the men in the other tent had disappeared and three were dead. The corpses were still there piled in a heap like so much rubbish. They couldn’t avoid hearing the buzzing of the dense cloud of flies that covered and surrounded them, and despite the flies the carrion eaters had begun their nature allotted task. With a morbid dread, the women couldn’t help but look from time to time. The imminent end of their advanced pregnancies maekt them face reality in a way nothing else had managed to do. The idea that they might end threwn atop the dead men was horrifying. “My boyfriend was a worthless piece of shit really,” Jo telt Stacey and Billie, “and they said they would help, and I should get a husband. God I’m scared.”

The concept of a husband, a permanent man and a long term relationship was something these young women were not familiar with. A much more familiar pattern to them was leaving school pregnant, or soon becoming pregnant, and then receiving a regular financial handout and an apartment flat to live in. The pattern involved a series of short term boyfriends, or keeping the same boyfriend till he beat you up for your money to buy drugs with forcing you to seek a court injunction to keep him away, and then doing one or the other all over again. That it was a repetitive cycle leading nowhere the followers of the pattern were entirely unaware of. The pattern contained no elements of social responsibility or of having to work. That’s how their mothers had lived, their grandmothers had lived, in some cases how their great-grandmothers had lived and how they would have lived if they hadn’t come to Castle.

“Fuck it! I don’t want to die,” Billie said. “Sometimes it feels as if the baby’s going to kick me to death from the inside. I’ll do what they want. Shit, it can’t be any worse than what I was going to have. I wish to God I had a ciggie.”

“Me too, but we smoked the last one yesterday. Let’s talk to the guardians. I think Juniper fancies me,” Stacey suggested, “and he’s got to be better than the fuckhead who left me in this state. Maybe…, oh I don’t know, let’s talk to the guardians. I hope to God they have a good hospital.”

There was some more conversation along these lines with a lot of bravado regards what they would and wouldn’t accept, but they were frightened, and they had never in their lives had to take responsibility for anything. They didn’t realise it, but they were desperately hoping a responsible person, an adult in authority, would tell them what to do and then be accountable for what happened. It was the way they and everyone they had ever known had lived all their lives. They didn’t realise if they wished to live at all they would have to live by a very different set of rules. They also hadn’t accepted yet what they had been telt many times of their intrinsic value to the Folk. Stacey was nominated to spaek with Juniper, a young guardian in his early twenties.

She was dismayed when he said, “You need to have spaech with someone from the Master at arms office and also someone from the healers or the midwifes.”

She had expected instant results and asked, “Don’t you like me?”

“Yes, I like you a lot, but you are not of the Folk,” he replied. She had never come across non-negotiable values before and didn’t know what to make of this. She continued to press him using all the tricks and wiles she knew which had never failt to achieve what she wished from men before, but he was adamant, and his bottom line was, “You are not of the Folk.”

In the end she said, “What do I have to do?”

She had heard the reply before. “You need to have spaech with someone from the Master at arms office and also someone from the healers.”

Desperate now, she asked, “Can you arrange it?” Realising what she had said earlier to Jo and Billie she added, “And for Jo and Billie too?”

She was surprised by his immediate response, “Of course.”

Still, she didn’t realise how much effort the Folk were prepared to put in to salvage her and the others from their own folly. Two hours later, after what to her and the other two women had been a traumatic experience, though all Gosellyn and Duncan had required was a declaration of good faith, the three of them were given escort out of the camp to the infirmary, till, as Gosellyn had put it, “You are safely birtht, and you and your babes can meet your new beginnings.”

Juniper had said to Stacey, “I shall come to see you thiseve if I may?” It was only then she had realised now there were no longer barriers between them, she was now Folk.

She nervously replied, “Yes. Will you explain to me what I have to do?”

“Of course. May I kiss you?” That reduced Stacey to tears. None had ever asked her before, they had just taken what they wished.

Through the tears she stammered, “Please.”

A hurried and chaste kiss followed. Juniper telt her, “I’ll be back after my duty.” After which Stacey realised this was the first time in her life she had longed for the presence of a man, and she determined that she was going to do what ever she could to ensure Juniper was going to be in the Castle expression, her man. She felt unthreatened by her future for the first time in her life. Maybe things were not going to turn out so badly after all.

Index of significant characters so far listed by Chapter

1 Introduction
2 Jacques de Saint d’Espéranche
3 The Folk and the Keep
4 Hwijje, Travisher, Will
5 Yew, Allan, Rowan,Siskin, Will, Thomas, Merle, Molly, Aaron, Gareth, Oak, Abigail, Milligan, Basil, Vinnek, Iris, Margæt, Gilla, Alsike, Alfalfa, Gibb, Happith, Kroïn, Mako, Pilot, Briar, Gosellyn, Gren, Hazel
6 Chaunter, Waxwing, Flame, João, Clansaver, Irune, Ceël, Barroo, Campion, Limpet, Vlæna, Xera, Rook, Falcon, Cwm, Sanderling, Aldeia, Catarina, Coast, Elixabete,
7Mercedes, Spoonbill
8 Lyllabette, Yoomarrianna
9 Helen, Duncan, Gosellyn, Eudes, Abigail
10 George/Gage, Iris, Waverley, Belinda
11 Marc/Marcy, Pol
12 George/Gage, Marcy, Freddy/Bittern, Weyland, Iris, Bling
13 Thomas, Will, Mercedes, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna
14 Kyle, Thomas, Will, Angélique
15 Mercedes, Morgelle, Gorse, Thrift, George/Gage, Chris, Iris, Thrift, Campion
16 Bling
17 Waverley, Mr. E
18 George/Gage, Larch, Mari, Ford, Gorse, Morgelle, Luke, Erin
19 Will, Pilot, Yew, Geoge/Gage, Mari, Ford, Gosellyn, Cwm, Cerise, Filbert, Gareth, Duncan, Helen, Thomas, Iris, Plume, Campion, Pim, Rook, Falcon, João, Hare
20 Yew, Rowan, Will, Thomas, Siskin, Weir, Grayling, Willow
21 Brook, Harrier, Cherry, Abby, Selena, Borage, Sætwæn, Fiona, Fergal
22 Yew, Thomas, Hazel, Rowan, Gosellyn, Siskin, Will, Lianna, Duncan
23 Tench, Knawel, Claire, Oliver, Loosestrife, Bramling, George, Lyre, Janice, Kæn, Joan, Eric
24 Luke, Sanderling, Ursula, Gervaise, Mike, Spruce, Moss
25 Janet, Vincent, Douglas, Alec, Alice
26 Pearl, Merlin, Willow, Ella, Suki, Tull, Irena
27 Gina, Hardy, Lilac, Jessica, Teal, Anna
28 Bryony, Judith, Bronwen, Farsight
29 Muriel, Raquel, Grace
30 Catherine, Crane, Snipe, Winifred, Dominique, Ferdinand
31 Alma, Allan, Morris, Miranda
32 Dabchick, Nigel
33 Raquel, Thistle, Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Phœbe
34 Eleanor, Woad, Catherine, Crane
35 Muriel, Hail, Joan, Breve, Eric, Nell, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
36 Selena,Sætwæn, Borage, Grace, Gatekeeper, Raquel, Thistle
37 Siân, Mackerel, Winifred, Obsidian
38 Carla, Petrel, Alkanet, Ferdinand
39 Dominique, Oxlip, Alma, Allan, Tress, Bryony
40 Agrimony, Benjamin, Ian, Ella, Kestrel, Judith, Storm
41 Ella, Kestrel, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane
42 Weights & Measures and Sunrise & Sunset Times included in Ch 41
43 Ella, Kestrel, Serenity, Smile, Gwendoline, Rook, Tress, Bryony, Tunn, Whin, Plane, Sapphire, Mere
44 Pearl, Merlin, Rainbow, Perch, Joan, Breve, truth, Rachael, Hedger, Ruby, Deepwater
45 Janet, Blackdyke, Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster
46 Janet, Gina, Alastaire, Joan, Breve, Truth, Bræth, Mayblossom, Judith, Storm
47 The Squad, Mercedes, Fen, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
48 Bronwen, Forest, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Kathleen, Niall, Bluebell, Sophie
49 Janice, Kæn, Ursula, Oyster, Imogen, Wryneck, Phœbe, Knapps
50 Erin, Nightjar, Eleanor, Woad
51 Gina, Jonas, Janet, Gerald, Patrick, Tansy, Craig, Barret, Ryan
52 Constance, Rye, Bling, Bullace, Berry, Jimmy, Leveret, Rory, Shelagh, Silas
53 Rachael, Hedger, Eve, Gilla, Mallard, Fiona, Fergal, Tinder, Nightingale, Fran, Dyker
54 Pamela, Mullein, Patricia, Chestnut, Lavinia, Ophæn, Catherine, Crane
55 Susan, Kingfisher, Janet, Gina, Jonas, Ruth, Kilroy, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew
56 Gina, Jonas, Patricia, Chestnut, The Squad, Hazel, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch, Mangel, Clary, Brendan
57 Erin, Nightjar, Xera, Josephine, Wels, Michelle, Musk, Swansdown, Tenor
58 Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverley,Yvette, Whitebear, Firefly, Farsight, Janet, Blackdyke, Swift, Clover, Vetch
59 Lilac, Firefly, Farsight, Lucinda, Gimlet, Leech, Janet, Blackdyke
60 Douglas, Lunelight, Yvette, Whitebear, Thrift, Haw, Harebell, Goosander, Judith, Storm, Iola, Alwydd, Heidi, Rock, Stephanie, Matthew, Matilda, Evan, Heron
61 Brendan, Clary, Chloë, Apricot, Llyllabette, Yoomarrianna, Otis, Harry, Gimlet, Leech, Jodie
62 Gimlet, Leech, Lark, Seth, Charles, Bruana, Noah, Kirsty, Shirley, Mint, Kevin, Faith, Oak, Lilly, Jason, Gem, Ellen
63 Honesty, Peter, Bella, Abel, Kell, Deal, Siobhan, Scout, Jodie
64 Heather, Jon, Anise, Holly, Gift, Dirk, Lilac, Jasmine, Ash, Beech, Ivy, David
65 Sérent, Dace, Opal, Spice, Vincent, Clarissa, Gorse, Eagle, Frond, Diana, Gander, Gyre, Tania, Alice, Alec
66 Suki, Tull, Buzzard, Mint, Kevin, Harmony, Fran, Dyker, Joining the Clans, Pamela, Mullein, Mist, Francis, Kristiana, Cliff, Patricia, Chestnut, Timothy, Axel, Nectar, Waverly, Tarragon, Edrydd, Louise, Turnstone, Jane, Mase, Cynthia, Merle, Warbler, Spearmint, Stonecrop
67 Warbler, Jed, Fiona, Fergal, Marcy, Wayland, Otday, Xoë, Luval, Spearmint, Stonecrop, Merle, Cynthia, Eorle, Betony, Smile
68 Pansy, Pim,Phlox, Stuart, Marilyn, Goth, Lunelight, Douglas, Crystal, Godwit, Estelle, Slimlyspoon, Lyre, George, Damson, Lilac
69 Honesty, Peter, Abel, Bella, Judith, storm, Matilda, Evean, Iola, Heron, Mint, Kevin, Lilac, Happith, Gloria, Peregrine
70 Lillian, Tussock, Modesty, Thyme, Vivienne, Minyet, Ivy, David, Jasmine, Lilac, Ash, Beech
71 Quartet & Rebecca, Gimlet & Leech, The Squad, Lyre & George, Deadth, Gift

Word Usage Key
Some commonly used words are below. Replace th on end of words with ness and t with d or ed and most of the rest are obvious if sounded out aloud. Some words with n or en on the end can be easily understood if the n is replaced by a d. Only difficult words and words that do not exist in English are now referred to specifically.

Bethinkt, thought.
Braekt, broke.
Doet, did.
Doetn’t, didn’t.
Findt, found,
Goen, gone
Goent, went.
Lastdaysince, the day before yesterday.
Maekt, made.
Nextdaynigh, the day after tomorrow.
Sayt, said.
Taekt, took.
Telt, told.
Uest, used.
Loes, lost.
Agreän(s), those person(s) one has marital agreement with, spouse(s).

1 Cotte, Folk word for a female bottom, male is cot. Both words are respectable and uest by all. Both derive from apricot which like buttocks have a defined cleft. The default is the feminine, like most but not all Folk words. Cotte would be uest for example for a babe of unspecified sex.
2 Drinkn, drunk.
3 þornbraek, Thornbraek.
4 Caltth, cold a noun.
5 Starchroots, floury potatoes. Waxroots refers to waxy potatoes, though the distinction is neither absolute nor strictlt adhered to.
6 Greenleaf, spring greens, spring cabbage, collards.
7 Delta, a small but meaty oily fish that lives in the brackish waters of the Arder estuary, it smokes well and large quantities are caught and hot smoked for a winter food supply. Delta are related to Liza aurata the Golden Grey Mullet but are not the same. They reach a maximum size of four spans and are sexually mature much younger than any Earth mullet spercies.
8 Ide, Leuciscus idus a member of the carp family. Usually cool smoked.
9 Yinjærik, pronounced Yin + yay + rik, (jinjeirik).
10 Lærer, adult apprentice, trainee.

up
21 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos