The Day I Went Home - Part IV

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

The name and gender change court hearing, and the girls have fun at their sleepover.

Story:

The Day I Went Home - Part IV
By Barbara Lynn Terry

Chapter VI

We all went downstairs to the dinner table, and stood while Marcie's mom said grace. Then we sat down, to a feast of beef roast, mashed potatoes, green beans, milk for us and coffe for the adults, and Marcie's mom made Dutch apple pie for dessert. While we ate, we all talked about me, and what I have learned so far about being a girl.

"Mrs. Connors, I think that Lisa is going to be all right. She doesn't really need any more training as a girl, cause we were teaching her right along. She does need a little help in putting in her own earrings, doing her hair and nails, and when she is allowed to, putting on makeup. But right now, Mrs. Connors, as far as I am concerned, Lisa is all girl right now."

"Yes Mrs. Connors, Lisa is very much of a girl, sometimes she outgirl's even us." We all giggled at that. The girls were doing their best to make my mother know exactly what I have been doing, when I said I was "going over to a friend's house."

"Yes, when Lisa came to me and asked me if there was something she could help me with, I almost fainted. I mean, because she never asked to help with anything. But I did notice that she walked like a girl, she did things like a girl would do them, and she even sat and ate like a girl. I am so glad that she told me now and not later in life. I have always dreamed of having a daughter. We are going to have so much fun."

Marcie's mom said that ever since she has known Lisa, Lisa was the perfect little angel, and always thought she should stop being a tomboy. The girls all echoed what she said and agreed. They all considered me one of them for the longest time, and now I am. It feels so great to have a mother who understands and accepts me for who I am. It is also great to have friends, and their parents who are very accepting too. I have always wanted to be a girl, always. And now that I am accepted fully as a girl, my life will be very happy. My mother had given our attorney Marcie's phone number too,just in case we weren't home. At that moment, the phone rang. Marcie's mom went to answer it.

"Yes? Hello? Yes she is, just a moment. It's for your mother, Lisa."

Mom got up and took the phone. "Hello, this is Mrs. Connors. Oh hello Mr. Filbert. Oh my gosh, but how did you get in so quickly? Oh I see. Yes we will be there. Thank you so much Mr. Filbert." She hung up the phone and looked at me with a very big smile. "Lisa, dear, Mr. Filbert said he put through the petition and told the court it was an emergency situation, because it concerned a life, that needed to start right away, or there could be consequences later on. So we have a hearing on Monday morning at eight o'clock. Isn't that just great honey?"

"Yes mother it is. I will be able to go to school as Lisa in the fall."

Everyone was so happy for me, that they were all talking about this, and about that, all at once. Our mothers tried to calm everyone, but just sat back and smiled, knowing that we had to have this happy time now, or it would be gone forever. Sharon was the first to say somehing we could all hear, and the rest of us stopped long enough to hear what she had to say.

"Lisa, do you think we would be allowed to come too. I mean I have never been to a courtroom before?"

"I don't know Sharon. Mother, would the girls be able to come with?"

"No sweetie, it will be just you, me, a guardian ad litem from the public defender's office, the district attorney, a social worker from the county. and of course the judge and the court staff. Childrens court hearings are private, and are for the protection of the child. But, everything will be fine."

This was Sunday, and tomorrow was Monday and we would go and tell the judge just exactly why I needed my name and gender changed. It is going to be very nice, but I am going to be so nervous at the same time. So today we were going to make the most of it, because in a couple of hours I would have to go home. So we left our mothers in the kitchen and went in Marcie's room, where we listened to records, talk incessantly, and was having such a good time, that my mother just had to break the spell. It was the midnight hour, and Cinderella had to return home. (Giggles). So I said goodbye to the girls, who also had to go home. Marcie and the girls gave me a big hug and made me promise to tell them everything that went on in court. I said I would, and mom and I left for home.

"How was the sleepover, dear?"

"Just fine mother. We had a blast. We listened to records, talked, did each other's hair, and we even danced to the records we listened to. We had a lot of fun."

"That's good dear. Because I had an idea. I told Marcie's mother, to call the other girls mothers and tell them we wanted them at court tomorrow, because then, the judge would have witnesses to back you up. I think that that is very important in something like this, because this is going to be forever."

"That would really be neat mother. Then the judge would see that this isn't something I just made up, like last night."

"That's right, dear. And witnesses like the girls and their mothers, are very good character witnesses too. So, if the county social worker has any objections, the witnesses will be there to make sure the judge sees our side."

"That's good mother, because I so want to be your daughter, forever and ever." We gave each other hugs when I had said that.

"I know you do sweetie, and we will make sure that you can be."

"Okay mother."

"All right Lisa, we're home. I want you to go upstairs and get ready for bed, and I'll be up to tuck you in."

"Okay mother."

I went upstairs, and ran my bath, because today was a very busy day for me. I put my nightgown on the top of the hamper, and got undressed and into the tub. My mother came in looking for me to be in bed.

"Lisa, when you are finished in the tub, I have some body lotion I want you to use. It will keep your skin nice and soft. And, if you use it everyday, you will have very smooth, feminine skin."

"Thank you mother, I'm almost finished." When I got out of the tub I wrapped the towel around me like girls do, and went in the bedroom. "Mother, will you help me with the lotion on my back, please?"

"Why of course dear, I'll be glad to help you." She put the lotion on my back, gently massaging it in until my skin absorbed it. "Now dear, you put this lotion all over you, and you will see that after a while, your skin will be nice and feminine."

"All right mother, and thank you."

"You're welcome dear, and let me know when you are finished. Okay?

"All right mother."

She left and went into the living room, and I finished putting the lotion all over me. The lotion felt cool on my skin. I felt really at ease putting this lotion on, taking my time, and making sure it was all massaged into my skin. I wiped my hands on the towel, and called my mother to tuck me in. This would be the first year of my life, that my mother would actually tuck me in, and kiss me on the forehead.

"Sleep well dear, and have sweet dreams."

"Good night mother."

"Good night darling."

Now I have never been a morning person, ever. So when morning came, I just laid there trying to get my bearings. I heard my mother coming down the hall to my room.

"Oh! Good morning sweetie. Did you sleep well?"

"Good morning mother, yes I slept very good.

"Well kiddo, are you ready for school next week?"

"Yes mother."

"Just remember, that if you have any trouble at all, you tell someone. Your friends said they will help. I'd like to know how many of your friends are in your class."

"All right mother."

I got up, took my bath, and got into my flowered petal pushers, and my nice green cami shirt. I walked into the kitchen and saw that my mother had made breakfast.

"Are you hungry dear," she asked me, as I sat down.

"Yes mother."

"All right, how many eggs do you want dear?"

"Just one mother, and one slice of bacon and toast. I need to watch my figure you know."

"Uh-huh, like you really need to watch a figure at your age."

"Well mother, there is no time like the present to start though. I know I am only ten years old, but what would happen if I ate all that fat? Where would all that fat go to if I didn't watch what I ate?"

"Are you sure you're only ten years old? Wait a minute! Who are you and what have you done with my daughter Lisa Anne Connors?"

We giggled at that, and she gave me a hug, and put the food on my plate and set in front of me. I took small bites while she sat there with her coffee, and just watched me, while we talked. I kept looking at her as we talked, and she seemed to stare right into me, as if she could see my soul. I think her wish to have a daughter was the happiest thing to have ever happened to her, and she was thinking about the mother/daughter things we could do together.

"Mother what are you thinking about?"

"Oh about how you and I can do things together now, and how we will have lots of fun just shopping, going bowling, doing our nails and talking, as well as our hair. The hair and nails thing we can do together. You can do my nails and hair, and I can do yours. That way you can have the experience of being a girl and growing up a girl."

"Thank you mother, you're a girl's best friend," I said as I put my head on her left shoulder and just laid there dreaming of the wonderul things we will do as mother and daughter.

"Honey Mr. Filbert is coming to take us to court. Are you ready dear? Because he is here."

"I'm ready mother."

We went outside and met Mr. Filbert, and we got into the backseat of his car, and he drove us to the childrens court complex.

IN COURT

We all went into the court building where we saw the girls and their mothers. A man came up to us, and said he was the attorney assigned to me from the state public defender's office. When I told him we already had an attorney, he said Mr. Filbert could watch the proceedings, and even help if necessary. He said he had already interviewed the girls and their mothers, and they were a big help. We should have no problems with this case.

We waited outside of the courtroom where we were to go, and waited for our names to be called. When our names were called, we all went into the courtroom, and sat down. The judge looked at everyone, and just made a hrmph noise, and then the courtroom got really quiet as the judge started talking.

"Good morning everyone. I see we have quite a turnout for this petition for name and gender change. The reason we have these proceedings is to determine if the young person in question is indeed entitled to the relief sought in the petition. Okay then let me see. This is a petition by Jason Filbert, attorney at law, filed for a name and gender change of one David Connors, a male, to be changed to Lisa Anne Connors, a female. The case before the court is an unusual one. One we have never had before, and one for where there is no precedent. So, what I will do now, is ask the Social worker from the county department of social services, child protective services, what her department's position on this is."

"Your honor, my name is Ruth Szlsbick, I am a case specialist for the department of social services, child protective services. You know your honor, that anytime a petition like this requesting unusual relief comes before this court, our department is called in to investigate. Well your honor, we did investigate, and based on our observations of this young person here today, we have no objection to the relief sought. The mother is not forcing this child to be female, nor is she forcing this child to change her name or gender."

"Thank you, Ms. Szlsbick. Next, I guess I should have the tesitomony of witnesses, and while it is unusual in any case before these courts to have minors testify, I see that we have a large group of minors here today. So, who will be the first one to tesify?" They all raised their hands. "Okay, the young lady in the striped dress. Tell us your name, and tell us why you think David, a male, should be known forever as Lisa Anne Connors, a female."

"My name sir, is Sharon and I am a friend of Lisa Anne's. I guess it all started when we were really very young. Lisa would come over to my house, or Marcie's house, Ronnie's too. We would have a lot of fun telling stories about why we liked being girls. We had no idea that Lisa would tell us that she wanted so much, in the whole world, to be a girl forever. At first sir, we laughed a little at that, until we saw that Lisa Anne was serious. So we talked about it by ourselves, and asked Lisa if she would like being a girl, every time she was at one of our houses. She said yes without even having to think about it. ..."

"How old were you then, Sharon?"

"I think we were all five or around five years old, sir."

"I see," the judge said as he told Sharon to tell him more.

"Sir, Lisa Anne would come over a lot of times, mostly by Marcie's house tho, cause they were very close and best friends. The rest of us didn't really care, cause we knew she was our friend too. Lisa Anne was allowed to sleep over a lot of times, and we would listen to records, we would talk about Elvis Presley or Ricky Nelson, or Jerry Lee Lewis. We would teach her how to do nail polishing, and maybe a simple pony tail. But we had a lot of fun."

"Well thank you Sharon, you spoke very eloquently before this court. Thank you. Okay then, the young lady in the white top and blue skirt. Tell us your name and why you think this person should be changed from a male to a female."

"Thank you Sir. My name is Veronica, but everyone calls me Ronnie. I have known Lisa Anne too for about since we were five years old. And she has done nothing to ever show she was anything but a girl. She talks like a girl, she walks like a girl, and when she has been over for sleepoevers, she even eats like a girl, by taking small bites, sitting with her legs together, and saying things like thank you, yes please, or no thank you, if she didn't want anything. Lisa Anne sir, is all girl to me, and one of my best girl friends."

"Has Lisa Anne ever worn any of your clothes, Ronnie?"

"Oh yes sir. For like always. Whenever she would come over to my house, Marcie's or Sharon's, she would right away go into the closet, pick out a dress or a skirt and top, a pair of shoes, go to the dresser and pick out some under clothes, and socks, then go into the bathroom and change. When she came out of the bathroom, we would put her hair in a pony tail, like ours, and we would have a great time being girls. It seems that when she is Lisa Anne, and is permitted to be Lisa Anne, she is at her happiest, sir."

"Well, I am just so glad that this young lady has friends to support her, a loving mother who accepts her as her daughter, and an undeniable wish to become Lisa Anne Connors. Ok then, I'm not going to take any more testimony. If there is anyone here who thinks that this young person should not be here and forever known as Lisa Anne Connors, a female, I want to hear that person now." The judge waited for a few seconds, and then he said. "Hearing no objections, this petition is hereby granted and David Connors, a male, is now, and forever shall be known as, Lisa Anne Connors, a female. This court is adjourned."

School Days

This was very good, because going to court was exactly one week before school started. Today was the first day of school, and the first time I would attend school as a girl. Ginger and Sue came to walk Jill and I to school. When the doorbell rang, I answered it. I was wearing one of the dresses mom bought for me. It was grass green, with gold lace on the neckline, sleeves edges, and hem. It flared out a little, and fit me really good.

"Hi Ginger, hey Sue. Come in, we're in the kitchen." We went in the kitchen, and the girls sat down and waited for us to finish breakfast.

"Lisa, are you nervous?" Ginger said with a wry smile.

"A little, but I am determined tho, that if I run into any problems, just to try and ignore them. If they won't be ignored, then I will come to one of you."

"Good. Just remember tho, there are some who will not like what you are doing, but there will be others who will. There are a lot of the kids at school, who always thought you were a girl, dressed as a boy anyway. So you see, you shouldn't really have any problems."

"I hope not, I mean, I really want this, and I want to have fun being a girl. I don't want to be constantly fighting because someone decides that what I'm doing is wrong, in their opinion."

"Don't worry girlfriend, that's why we're here. To help you, and keep you safe from the bullies."

"Thanks Ginger, I really am happy being Lisa Anne."

"All right, are we ready to get to school then?"

We left the house, and started walking to school. Steven must have been waiting for us, because as soon as we stepped onto the sidewalk, he came up to us.

"Hey Lisa, may I walk you to school too?"

"Hi Steven, of course you can." I gave him a wink, and he winked back.

"Hey, wait a second! What were those winks for?"

"Uhm, nothing," I said coyly.

"Oh, is that so? Well, whatever. We're glad that you have a friend like Steve. But, uhm, isn't ten years old just a little too young to have a boyfriend?"

"Steve is not my boyfriend, he's just a friend."

"Okay Lisa," and all three of them giggled a little, as if to say oh yeah, sure. I giggled a little too, because what Steve and I had in the lab, before our little trip, will blossom here.

We got to the school. My first day as Lisa Anne Connors. The school was already told about my name and gender change, because we actually had to re-register under my new name. They said it was school policy. Oh well, whatever. I'm just glad we didn't have to fight to get me into school. I sat in my normal seat, and the teacher, Miss Spencer, asked the class to settle down.

"Okay class, settle down now. We need to get started on our lessons. But first, I am going to welcome Lisa Anne Connors, to our class. I know that some of you are a little puzzled by Lisa being here. Well, when David Connors was here, she really was Lisa Anne Connors, and now she is going to show us the girl that she has always been. So, what I'm trying to say is, Lisa was acting like a boy, but is really a girl. Does anyone have any questions? Yes, Michael."

"Miss Spencer, if Lisa was always a girl, why didn't she dress like one?"

"That is a very good question, Michael. Lisa would you like to answer that question for Michael?"

"Yes Miss Spencer. Uhm, I was trying to see if I liked being a boy or not. I guess it's not, because if you aren't born with a male soul, then being a boy sure isn't the right thing to do. I was born with a female soul, and female is who I need to be from now on. So from now on, you will see only Lisa and not David, because David didn't really exist."

"Thank you, Lisa. Michael, does that answer your question?"

"Uhm, yeah I guess so."

Poor Michael looked very puzzled even after I explained as best as I could, why they saw David and not Lisa Anne. Anyway, we did a little reading and telling about what we read, some arithmetic and a little writing, and then it was time for recess. When we got onto the playground, the girls came up to me and wanted me to jump rope with them. I've jumped rope before, so I knew how to do it, where I could get by. I tripped a couple of times, and the boys thought it was funny. I took the rope over to them.

"Mark, Michael, if you think jumping rope is so easy, why don't you show us how?" I offered them the rope, and all of a sudden, they had other things to do.

We giggled as the boys ran away from us. We went back to jumping rope. The bell rang, and we all went back inside. As we walked inside we couldn't help but make jokes of how the boys wouldn't show us how to jump rope. When we got to our seats, we were still laughing.

"Girls, just what is so funny?" Miss Spencer asked with a serious tone in her voice.

"Oh nothing really, Miss Spencer. When we were at recess, Mark and Michael were making fun of us tripping, while we were playing jump rope. I went over to them and offered them the rope so they could show us how it was supposed to be done, and they both ran away from us. I'm sorry Miss Spencer, but I guess you had to be there."

"I guess. But you know tho, boys will make fun of us, and then when they are challenged, they seem to have other things to do. It's funny how it works out that way, isn't it, girls."

"Yes Miss Spencer," all the girls answered together. I swear tho, if Mark and Michael and some of the other boys could have, they would have become stop lights, their faces were so red. So anyway, with the laughter behind us, Miss Spencer told us to take out our geography books.

"Today class, we're going to study the Tierra del Fuego. Does anyone know where exactly it is located?" I raised my hand, and Miss Spencer called on me. "Lisa, where do you think the Tierra del Fuego is?"

"It is at the southern end of the south American continent. It is very cold there, and there are a lot of seals and penguins that live there too."

"Thank you, Lisa. Your answer is correct. How did you know that, tho?"

"I like reading, and whenever I would go to the library, I would always pick something new to learn. One time, when I went to the library, I wanted to read about South America. That's when I found out about the very southern tip of the continent, called the Tierra del Fuego."

"Well Lisa, you always were my brightest student, and your friends are equally as bright. Are you sure you're only ten years old?" Everyone giggled.

When we were finished studying about the Tierra del Fuego, Miss Spencer said we should just talk, because we had completed our studies for the day. So we talked about what we were going to do for the weekend.

"Would you like to start first, Ronnie?"

"Thank you Miss Spencer. I am having a sleepover at my house for the weekend, and Marcia, Sharon, Cathy and Lisa are coming over. We're going to be doing a lot of girl things, so boys don't even think about asking. This is just a girls sleepover. We're going to be listening to records, and doing our hair and nails, and talking about things we can do as a group. My mother says that boys can't even come over to visit during the day, because this is just a girls together weekend."

"Thank you, Ronnie. Michael, what are you going to do this weekend?"

"I don't know, maybe just play with my cars, or maybe something else. I just don't know yet."

"All right Michael, I'm sure you'll find something to do. Mark, what are you going to do this weekend?"

"I don't really know Miss Spencer. I don't really think about what I want to do, I just go ahead and do it."

"All right class, that's the last bell. See you all on Monday."

We all put our books in our desks, and then left for home. We didn't need our coats yet, because it was warm enough for just a sweater. I waited until Marcie, Ronnie, Cathy and Sharon came by me, and we all walked home together. That was nice tho, since we all lived in the same direction. Dinner would be at Ronnie's because we all had to be there by five o'clock. That's when the sleepover was supposed to start and it would be all weekend, and we would all go home right after dinner on Sunday. It is so good to have friends that you can do things with.

The Sleepover

I went into my house, and gave mom a kiss and hug, and told her I needed to get my things ready to go over by Ronnie's. She told me not to worry, she did that while I was in school. She said she packed my nightgown, one dress and one skirt set, along with a change of under clothes.

"Mom, what about shoes? I mean I have to have more than one pair. What if we go out to the mall or something?"

"All taken care of sweetie. I just want to spend some time with my daughter, before she goes romping off with her friends. How was your day at school?"

"It was good mother. We talked about what we were going to do this weekend, and Ronnie told the boys they can't come over, because this is just a girls together weekend."

"And that's as it should be too, dear. Girls have to have some time to bond together and have fun. When you grow up, you'll have girls nights out a lot with your friends. That will be a lot of fun too."

"Mom," I said laying my head on her shoulder. "What did you do, when you had sleepovers?"

"Oh honey! We did all kinds of things. We did our nails, each other's hair, modeled our clothes for everyone, listened to music, played games...."

"What kind of games, mother?"

"Well like Monopoly, I was always the thimble. Or we would play pin the tail on the donkey, or we'd go outside and play jump rope, hopscotch, jacks. But since it was a sleepover, we never left the yard. And our outside games were always in the back yard so the boys couldn't see what we were doing and interrupt us."

"That sounds like it was fun, mother."

"It was dear. It was a lot of fun. Well, what say we head over to Ronnie's. Do you know what they're having for dinner tonight?"

"No, but Ronnie's mother cooks like you do."

"Why thank you, dear." She gave me a hug and we went out to the car with my overnight bag stuffed with everything I needed for a weekend of fun.

When we got to Ronnie's house, everyone was arriving at the same time. We all gave each other hugs, and we were just talking all at once, as we went into the house. Ronnie greeted us at the door, and told us which room to put our things in, and then come back down, because dinner would be ready, as soon as we were. Our mothers all stayed for dinner, and we talked excitedly about what we were planning on doing all weekend. Our mothers didn't even bother to tell us to talk one at a time, because by the smiles on their faces, I knew that they knew, this was our weekend. This was going to be so much fun, because now I am legally a girl, and I am accepted by the girls as one of them. This is definitely going to be so much fun. Did I mention that Elvis Presley and Ricky Nelson are my two favorite singers? But we also listened to Fabian (he's cute too).

When the dinner was over, everyone helped to clean up, and wash, dry and put the dishes away. Then it was time for us to go up to Ronnie's room, and start the sleepover officially. By officially, I mean it started when we got into Ronnie's room. This room was huge, and everyone could fit into it nicely, without it being overcrowded. Ronnie's bed was a double canopy bed, with a light pink canopy, and pink bedding to match. On her comforter, there was an embroidered Bambi in the center. Her dresser had six drawers. Four of those drawers were the full length of the dresser, and there were two smaller drawers at the top, where she kept her lingerie, and stockings.

Then we got into our nightgowns, so we were ready for bed. When Ronnie's mother came up to tell us it was bed time, she gave us each a big hug a kiss, then we fell asleep. I had that same dream again about the boy who always has his back turned to me. Just as he was starting to turn around, it was time to wake up. We all did our bathroom, and then took our baths. After we were dressed, we went downstairs for breakfast. Ronnie's Mother was making pancakes and waffles. After breakfast was over, and we all helped clean up, we went back to Ronnie's room.

"Lisa..." Ronnie said looking at me, with a smile. "Do you think you can do your own nails, yet?"

"Uhm sorta. I still get them all messy tho. Will you teach me?"

"We'll all teach you, girlfriend. That's what it means to be a part of girlhood. We do things with and for each other. I know you want to learn, so let me show you how to do one nail, and then you can do the rest. Okay?"

"Okay."

She took a small bottle of nail polish from her vanity, and shook it a little, and then told me to hold my left hand very still. She put on one coat to show me how to do it in even strokes, because the brush could slip, and then you'd have a real mess.

"You don't want the brush to slip, but you don't want to hold it really tight either. See how I did this one nail? Whenever you do your nails tho, you always file them smooth, and then make the bottom of the nails smooth too. Have you ever seen a boy's fingernails really close? Where the finger meets the nail is always rough, and looks very shaggy. But we're girls, and we must always look pretty, even if it is a show. Besides, I like feeling pretty, don't you girls?"

Everyone said yes excitedly, and we laughed. I took the nail file and began to file my nails the way I had seen my mother do hers. The other girls were watching me very closely, to make sure I was doing it right. Then I took a bottle of clear polish that was called a base coat, and applied that to the smooth nails. I did that for all ten fingers, and Marcie was very happy, I knew how to do this.

"Lisa, how did you know about the base coat?" Marcie asked looking surprised.

"I watch my mom, when she does her nails. I also watch when she puts her makeup on too and does her hair. I don't know if my mom will let me wear makeup yet, but we could try it here just for the sleepover."

"Hey, That sounds really cool, Lisa. I think we're gonna have a beauty pageant."

We all squealed with delight at the suggstion, and that's what we did. We took our clothes out of our bags, and then we changed into every outfit we had. One at a time of course. (Giggles). Trying to act like we were grown up (notice I said act like?), we all took turns modeling our outfits for each other. Marcie in her best rich lady's voice did the talking, like we had seen Bert Parks do on the Miss America Pageant.

"Ahnd, heah we hahve Miss Lisa Connors mahdeling our everyday wear. She is beautiful in her very ahlegant yellow sundress from J.C. Penny. She cahmpliments that with her very ahlegant yellow Mary Jane, strahp and buckle shoes, and her knee high sahcks give a wonderful addition to the whole ansahmble."

I walked around the room, the way I had seen the models do, and everyone fell down laughing when I was finished. Marcie was really cool with the way she tried to imitate a rich lady's voice and manners, though. Then it was Marcie's turn, and I did the talking.

"Marcie is stunning in her violet party dress, which compliments her figure and skin tone. Her hair is by Ronnie, and she is wearing Cream colored Mary Jane's with violet knee high stockings, and Marcie's makeup is by Sharon. Thank you, Marcie."

We didn't see our mothers at the bedroom door, but when Marcie was finished, my mother started asking me questions.

"Lisa, where did you learn to describe a beauty pageant like that?"

"When we would watch the Miss America Pageant, mom. I just did it the way Bert Parks did."

"Well I must say, that you did it very well too. That was very good, Lisa."

"Thank you, mother. I love you." I went over and gave her a hug.

"I love you too, honey. I can see that you girls are going to have a lot of fun this weekend. We're all going to go home now, so you girls have a very good time." Everyone gave their mothers hugs and then they left us to ourselves.

"Hey wait a minute. Sharon, Ronnie and Ginger have to model now." I said matter of factly.

Ronnie got up next, and walked around like the models on tv did, and Sharon did the talking.

"Ronnie is wearing a playground look, in her jeans with the rose flower on the back pocket, and a white t-shirt top, and her flip-flops footwear. Her hair is styled in a common ponytail by Sharon, and she is not wearing any makeup. Thank you, Ronnie."

Ronnie did a curtsy bow, and walked over to the bed, and sat down.

Sharon was next, and we did the same thing with her. She wore her Gingham shirtdress, and knee high socks, with her black Mary Jane's. Then Ginger got to go, and she was the best of all of us, because she did twirls, so we could all see the front and back of what she was wearing. We had a lot of fun with our beauty pageant, and then we decided we needed something to drink.

"Let's go down and have some Kool-Aid," Ronnie said and we all followed her downstairs.

"How is it going, girls?" Asked Ronnie's mother.

"Just fine, mother. We finsihed our beauty pageant."

"And that was a very fine beauty pageant too, dear. All you girls did really good. Ronnie, I didn't know young girls your age paid any attention to the Miss America Pageant."

"Oh yes, mother. I like the way Bert Parks sings, 'here she comes, Miss America...' And I wish I can grow to be beautiful like the models are."

"You know tho girls, those models have to be on diets, and they have strict rules to follow. They have to be a certain weight, and have to have a very nice figure too, so they can fit into the outfits they wear during the pageant. They have curfews too, and have to be in bed by a certain time. What you see on television, is only the end of the pageant. There is training exercises, dress rehearsals, picking out wardrobe for the different models, classes they have to attend in deportment, speech, walking, sitting, eating, and when that is all taken care of and the pageant producers are satisfied, only then do the models go on stage."

"Wow," Sharon said with surprise in her voice. "I didn't know they had to go through all of that."

"Me either," Ronnie said equally surprised. "But it would be worth it tho, to look that pretty." We all agreed.

"Since this is a girls sleepover, would you girls like to help me make dinner?" Ronnie's mother asked, with a smile.

We all said yes, and each one of was given something to do, to help. I was elected to make the salad. Ronnie peeled the potatoes, Marcie rinsed the chicken, Sharon got out the dishes and the flatware, and she and Cathy set the table. Ginger helped Ronnie's mother at the stove. We were all getting into this and having fun too. We were talking and giggling, and just having a lot of fun just being girls. For anyone just passing by would have heard just a lot of girls having fun, without knowing why. The potatoes would take the longest to prepare because they had to be boiled, and then mashed. Ronnie's mother would do that.

"Girls," Ronnie's mother began. "Why don't you all go and have some fun, while the potatoes are boiling? I'll call you all when dinner is ready."

We all said ok together, and went into Ronnie's room.

"Ronnie," I said curiously, "Why didn't Glenda come?"

"She had to go with her mother to her cousin's. She said she'd rather be here tho."

"I agree," Marcie continued, "I'd rather be here too. Glenda's cousin is such a bore; and he's a boy too."

We all giggled and made the finger in the mouth gagging motion. Then we giggled some more. Cathy put on a Fabian record, and we began to dance to the music. Later on we would play musical chairs in the living room, but right now tho, we listened to Fabian. Then Sharon snuck up behind me, and lifted my hair up.

"Hey! Don't you think that Lisa would look good with her hair up, instead of in a pony tail?"

Everyone agreed, including me, and they began to make sure my hair was set, and then Ronnie went to her mother's room, and got out some kind of setting lotion, and put it on the curlers. After Ronnie put the setting lotion on the curlers, she rolled my hair. After the last curler was in, Ronnie's mother called us to dinner.

"I see you're going to curl you hair, Lisa. That's good, because it gets boring just having a pony tail all the time. Was this your idea, Lisa?"

"Well not right away ma'am. Sharon actually said it first, but we all agreed. So the others set it for me, and Ronnie used some kind of lotion on the curlers, she said would make it set right."

"I see. I didn't know Ronniie was paying attention when I set my hair. I guess she was. It looks set right too, Lisa. I want to see it when they take the curlers out."

"All right. I'm curious too."

We sat down to our dinner after Ronnie's mother said grace, and we talked about all of the fun we were having. The dinner was delicious, and we all ate like the little ladies we were. We sat at the table a little longer, still talking about just...well...just nothing.

"Mother, next time we have a sleepover, can you talk to Glenda's mother so she can come too?"

"All right, dear. I'll make sure. When do you think we should have another sleepover here?"

"Well the next one is at Marcie's, and then Sharon's and then..."

"All right, I get the picture. You girls take turns. I think that's wonderful."

"Thank you," we all said together.

"Hey let's watch a movie," Marcie volunteered.

"Is it all right, mother?" Ronnie asked.

"Yes dear, this is your weekend and you girls have fun. That's what sleepovers are all about, is having as much fun as you can."

"Thank you, mother," Ronnie said giving her mother a big hug. Her mother just smiled.

"Hey what movie should we watch?" I asked curiously.

"How about Tammy And The Bachelor?" Sharon asked excitedly. "Because it's supposed to come on about now."

We all screamed and went into the living room to watch the movie. I like the Tammy movies, they are so funny, and Tammy's innocence is what makes it so fun to watch. Ronnie's mother made popcorn, and we just sat and nibbled at it, while we watched Tammy, because we were full from dinner. The song, Tammy's in Love, is one of my favorite songs for movies. We watched Tammy making people feel so small, with her Mississippi River innocence. It was really funny.

When the movie was over, we turned off the television, and went back to Ronnie's room. Sharon right away put on Dede Dinah by Frankie Avalon. Sharon took me by surprise when she started dancing with me, but girls do that. Ronnie has a lot of .45's, but mostly by Ricky Nelson and Elvis Presley. Her mother has .78's of big band music, and some of it is okay, but I like rock and roll better. After we had listened to a few more records, it was time to go to bed. We all agreed, because we were so tired. Now I wonder just why that would be?

"Well, I was going to tell you girls that it was bedtime, but I see you beat me to it."

"Yes mother, we're just so tired."

"Now I wonder why?" We all giggled, and Ronnie's mother gave us all a hug and kiss, and then went downstairs.

I slept really good that night, because I was having my first sleepover (well that I remember), and being accepted by all of the girls as one of them. I keep dreaming about this boy, who always has his back turned to me. Could this be an omen of things to come. I mean I know Stevie and I will be together, but is it Stevie I'm dreaming about? Then the boy started to turn around, and as soon as he did, I woke up.

It was daylight, and time to get up. We did all of our bathrooms and baths, and then we got dressed. I wore my party dress, because it was Sunday.

"Let's go down for breakfast, and then we have to do something really fun, because this is the last day of the sleepover," Marcie told everyone.

We went down to the kitchen, and Ronnie's mother was making ham and eggs, with milk and jelly toast.

"All right, who's hungry?" We all said "me" together, and we giggled. "Good. Lisa how many eggs would you like, dear?"

"Just one, thank you."

"You eat like a bird, but that's good tho, because if you eat right, now, at your age, later on you'll have a nice figure."

"That's what I told my mother. She said I shouldn't worry about a figure now tho, and I told her that I needed to start now."

"Good girl. What are you all going to today?"

"Mother, I thought maybe we'd go outside and play with our jump ropes, and maybe a little tag."

"That sounds really good, Ronnie," I said beaming. Everyone else agreed too.

"Well one thing is for sure girls, you are going to remember this sleepover for a while." We all said "for sure" together.

This is my birthday sleepover, and one I will remember forever. I am just so happy that I am accepted for who I really am, and can now grow up as the girl I was born
to be.

After breakfast we went to Ronnie's room again, and got out the jump rope, and then went outside. We picked teams for jumping rope, and we had a lot of fun. When we played tag, I was careful not to get my dress dirty or torn. We played for what seemed like days, when Ronnie's mother called us in for lunch. We had tomato soup and bologna sandwhiches, with a glass of milk.

"You know what? We have been in the house all weekend, except for this morning. I'd like to play outside some more," I said to everyone.

"Yes Lisa, I think that is a very good idea. What can we do tho?" Marcie asked as we were thinking.

"I have a monopoly game we can play. We can sit at the picnic table."

"All right Ronnie," Marcie added.

Ronnie went to get the Monopoly game, and we all went out to the picnic table, and took our tokens, and set them on the board. Then we rolled the dice to see who went first. Sharon won, and she started. We each took turns, and I had to go to jail a lot. But that's the fun of playing Monopoly. I had Boardwalk and Park Place, Sharon had Marvins Gardens and two railroads, and we all had fun landing on each other's properties, and collecting rent. We giggled quite a lot during the game, and the game went on for a long time, and then Ronnie's mother called us in for dinner. When we got into the kitchen, our mothers were all there, and we knew that after dinner, we had to go home. We all went and gave our mothers hugs, and then we were all talking at once, about how our sleepover went, and the my mother raised her hand, like to say, "stop."

"Girls, girls, one at a time. My goodness girls, you had that much fun, you all need to talk at once? Now Marcie, you first, please."

"Thank you Mrs. Connors. We helped Lisa all weekend with learning how to set hair in a couple of different styles, and we helped her to do her nails right, because she said she was still getting them messy when she did them by herself. We played out in the backyard, this morning, and then we played Monopoly this afternoon, until we were called in for dinner. But Lisa can do her own nails now, and her hair in two different styles."

"Thank you Marcie. Girls I am so glad that Lisa has you for friends. You have all taught her a lot, and I am sure that as she gets older, she will know exactly what to do when she meets a decent boy. I'm sure all of you girls will."

"Mrs. Connors," Sharon added, "we did talk a little about boys, but only because we were telling Lisa about how rough and ragged looking their fingernails are, and that we have to keep ours looking pretty, and smooth."

"And you are so right too, Sharon. We have to show the boys that there is such a thing as beauty when they even just look at us, or just talk to us. We have to be cleaner than boys, and we need to dress better than they do too. We have to sit up straight, and walk like we're gliding. Boys just seem to do what they call saunter."

"So, does everyone want to help with dinner then?" Ronnie's mother asked, with that contagious smile. We all said yes.
______________________________________________________________________
The Day I Went Home - Part V, Lisa and Stevie, will be coming shortly.

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
71 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This is a sweet, well

This is a sweet, well written story of the journey of Lisa Anne and her friends into girlhood and young women. Can't wait to see how she and Stevie become a real "item" that will last back into their future. J-Lynn

The Day I Went Home

Joani McB-Wonderfully sweet story. I would have given anything for that set of life exeriences.
Joani

Hi Joani

Thank you for the kind review, and I know exactly what you mean too (giggles).

Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."