Family Business Part 6

Printer-friendly version

Zoey tosses and turns as images filter through her dreams warning her of upcoming danger and past dangers. The image of her father being tortured to death in his home office, while she watched from her hiding spot. The thundering sound of the gun going off. She felt the pain her father suffered and then nothing as his life slipped away.

A loud clap of thunder wakes her from her dreams. She sits up in bed and looks around her. It takes her mind a few seconds to register where she was. She looks around the plain-looking room, as she sat in bed while the covers pooled around her.

She glances over towards her art easel that had a painting on it that she has been working on lately. She walks over to it and removes the sheet covering it. The painting was of a young woman with multi-color emo color hair. She had neon blue coloring fading down to a neon purple color at the end of her hair. She also had a stylish pair of gold rim color glasses that framed her very observant eyes.

A humanoid female mouse was sitting on her shoulder dressed like James Bond. Sitting next to the young-looking woman was another woman with short dark brown hair and a kind face. She was dress as if she was a schoolteacher. They were in a car traveling on a highway with rain coming down.

Zoey didn’t know why these two women were important, but she knew they could be trusted to help her and US Marshall Weather. She knew Marshal Weather came from a family of famous US Marshal’s. His mother, grandmother, great grandmother, and great, great grandmother were all former US Marshal’s.

She covers the painting up and walks over to the window. She moves the curtain aside to watch the rain as it came down. The danger was coming and she would have to leave the safety of this room. She didn’t know how soon danger was going to come, but she could feel it.

Zoey turns around and walks back over to the suitcase she has been living out of for the past few months. She changes out of her nightgown and puts on a plain light color t-shirt. Which she hated to wear and a pair of faded blue jeans. She puts on a pair of socks and starts packing everything up, so she and agent Weather can leave quickly. She wonders where he is going to take her this time.

Chris was half asleep when his cellphone starts ringing. He picks it up and recognizes the number. It was his cousin Katja from New York
“hello?”

“You need to get out of where you are, right now, Chris.” Katja fires back at the guy trying to shoot her.

Chris could hear that a gunfight was going on in the background. He sits up “how in the hell did they find out where we are?”

“There’s a snitch in the US Attorney office. I don’t have a name yet, but I traced it back to that office.” Katja had followed up on a lead from an informant she trusted.

“How long do I have?” Chris slips his shoes back on and rushes to Zoey’s bedroom. He doesn’t bother knocking, as he rushes in.

“I would say at least twenty minutes or less.” Katja couldn’t give Chris an exact time frame.

“Alright, thanks.” Chris ends the call. He finally notices that Zoey was already, ready to go.

Zoey looks at Agent Weather when he burst into her bedroom. She saw the look on his face as he talked with someone on his cellphone. She also noticed how worried he looked.

“We have to go, Zoey. But you already knew that didn’t you?” He noticed all her stuff was packed and ready to go.

Zoey shakes her head yes. She was born mute, but not deaf. It was frustrating at times because Agent Weather didn’t know much sign language and she had to teach him. She had to concentrate to read his lips when he spoke to her.

She grabs her bags and art supplies and follows Marshal Weather out of the hotel room they had been staying in. The place was low class and out in the slums. They rush down to the SUV Marshal Weather was driving, during the downpour that was coming down.

Just as they were backing up and pulling away from the parking spot. Two dark color SUV’s come speeding up to block them in. Bullets hit the front end of the SUV Marshal Weather and Zoey were in, as they speed past the two other SUVs.

Chris had the gas pedal floored as they shot past the two other SUVs trying to stop them. He didn’t even bother to use the driveway and cut across the sidewalk, into oncoming traffic. He manages to make it to the on-ramp to the interstate before the other two SUVs could follow him.
The downpour from the rain also made it hard for anyone to track him.

“I hate driving in the rain.” Mouse was trying to be careful in the downpour that was coming down.

Lilly just smirks as she watches as Mouse drives the Charger. They were following the map laid out on Google map to Washington D.C. Lilly didn’t mind going to Washington D.C. and visiting some of the museums with Mouse. After all, it was Mouse, who decided to go to Washington D.C., instead of Boston.

It had only been lightly raining when they left the apartment building in New York. Mouse had the radio in the car tuned to a local station that played the type of music she and Lilly liked.

“So, Lilly what did you do before your boyfriend screwed you over?” Mouse glances at Lilly as she drove.

“I was going to school to be a schoolteacher. I’ve always wanted to become a teacher, ever since I was little. How about you? I know you said you work with computers. Has that always been your dream?” Lilly looks at Mouse.

“To be honest with you, I never knew what I wanted to do. I was too busy surviving on the streets and stealing from people. However, after I was introduced to technology by certain people. I came to enjoy the thrill of hacking into databases and governments computer systems.”
Mouse wanted to tell Lilly she was with MI 6, but she couldn’t.

“That’s strange.” Lilly spots a teenage girl jumping up and down and waving her arms in the air on the side of the road ahead of them.

Mouse looks in the direction as well and notices the girl trying to get their attention. She spotted a black SUV with smoke coming out of the engine department behind the girl. There was an older man, that was either the girl’s father or brother.

“It’s like she is trying to get your attention, Mouse.” Lilly notices the girl was looking directly at them.

Chris couldn’t believe his luck. They had managed to get fifty miles away from where they had been staying when the engine in his SUV locked up. He managed to pull it over out of traffic onto the emergency lane.

He turns and looks at Zoey “stay here and keep the doors lock.”

Chris gets out of the SUV and walks around towards the front of the SUV. The rain was still coming down, but not as heavy as before. He goes to open the hood and burn his fingers doing it. He looks at the front of the SUV and several bullet holes went through the front grille and the radiator. Not only had the bullets gone through the radiator, but also the top radiator hose and the main drive belt as well.

Steam was coming out of the broken hose and holes in the radiator. Chris couldn’t believe the luck he was having. Now his ride was damage and the people looking for them will be able to catch up.

Zoey started getting a feeling that the people she painted were approaching. She gets out of the SUV and step into the rain to look for the car she saw in her dream. The rain was heavy and was making it difficult, but she manages to spot the car.

She starts jumping up and down and waving her arms to get the driver's attention. She didn’t want them to leave her and Chris. She was tempted to run out onto the highway to force them to stop.

Chris heard the passenger side door open and shut. He looks over to that side of the SUV and spots Zoey jumping up and down. She was also waving her arms in the air like she was trying to flag someone down. He walks up to her to find out why she was doing what she was doing.

As he stops near her, the car she had been trying to flag down, pulls up behind them. He notices it was a nice-looking Dodge Charger and two good-looking women were sitting inside of it.

“Are you sure we are doing the right thing, Mouse?” Lilly looks at the young girl and the man standing behind her.

“To be honest, no I don’t. However, that girl was purposely flagging us down. I want to know why.” Mouse has never seen someone so
persistent in trying to get her attention.

Zoey runs up and over to the driver's side to look at the neon hair colored woman. She motions for her to roll her window down. She couldn’t believe the woman she has been painting was right in front of her.

Mouse rolls her window down “is everything all right?”

Zoey shakes her head no. She starts signing to Mouse that they need help because their car broke down. She could see that the neon color hair woman was watching her intently.

Mouse watches as the wet young girl signs to her. It’s been a while since she has used sign language. She makes sure to watch the girl carefully.

“So, your car broke down and you need our help?” Mouse wanted to make sure she got the message right.

Zoey smiles when Mouse repeats what she just signed. She was also looking for the little female mouse girl she saw as well. She was supposed to be right on the other woman’s shoulder.

Chris walks around to the driver's side of the car to stand next to Zoey. He looks at the two women inside the Charger “we could use your help. My SUV blew a head gasket and I need to get my sister here to Washington D.C.”

Chris figures Zoey might be safer in Washington D.C. He could get some extra help and place her under extra security, where no one could get at her.

Mouse looks at the two people and something the guy said didn’t make sense to her, but she does notice that he was standing protectively close to the young girl.

“It’s against my better judgment, but why don’t you put whatever gear you have in my trunk.”

“Thank you, ma’am.” Chris was glad this woman was willing to help them out.

“You’re welcome.” Mouse pops the trunk for the gentleman.

“Here, why don’t you come around and get in on my side.” Lilly was looking at the young girl.

She was soaking wet from the rain. She could see that the girl wasn’t wearing a bra under the t-shirt she had on, not that she needs it. Her breasts were small enough, she could go braless.

Lilly lets the girl get in first. It seemed she wanted to sit behind Mouse for some reason. She gets in the back with her as well. This way, Mouse could keep an eye on the man as he sat next to her.

Chris transfers all of Zoey’s stuff, along with his two gym bags to the trunk of the Charger. He noticed how clean the trunk was. He also noticed that there were already suitcases in the trunk. He rearranges everything, so he can get everything in and shut the trunk.

When Chris is done, he heads back towards the front of the car and notices Zoey was sitting in the back, behind the neon hair woman. The woman with dark brown hair was sitting next to her in the back. He didn’t know why, but he gets in and buckles up on the passenger side.

“Thanks for stopping and helping us.” Chris looks at the neon hair woman.

“You’re welcome and my name is Mouse, and my friend's name is Lilly.” A smile appears on her face.

“Well Mouse, thank you and your companion for stopping. I’m Chris and my sister’s name is Zoey.”

Mouse looks in the rear-view mirror at the Young girl “it’s nice meeting you, Zoey.”

Zoey just smiles at Mouse. She couldn’t believe she was meeting the two women she has been having dreams about. She also notices that Mouse had a British accent to her words.

Mouse pulls back into traffic, just as two SUVs were approaching their location.

up
184 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Something dangerous

WillowD's picture

Me thinks Marshal Weather is about to find out that his new driver is a tad more dangerous than the average mouse. Snerk.

I've forgotten whether or not Mouse is driving one of the special armored cars.