Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2917

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2917
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

“Have you thought of taking a holiday?” asked my secretary.

“We’ve just had one.”

“And how much time did you have to chill out and refresh yourself?”

“A bit here and there, you know what it’s like with children and husbands. The tree coming down didn’t help, though it did enable Simon to play with a chainsaw.”

“So none, then?”

“Uh—probably.”

“Still I suppose they’ll put flowers on your grave occasionally.”

“Haven’t they got to wait until I’m dead—I think there are rules about burying people alive, unless you’re in Syria.”

Diane shuddered, “Oh don’t, those poor people no wonder they want out, I would too in their place.” She paused for a moment, “I suppose the Americans could always drop Donald Trump on them, maybe he can sort out the troubles.”

“I’m sure the Daesh would be delighted to meet him.”

“D’you think he’s going to be president?”

“Let’s face it, the system is bent even in democracies, so anything could happen but he seems to be running out of steam and the Republican hierarchy are starting to get a bit more organised though of course it’s about as organised as the European Union what with all the states doing their own thing. Mind you the other guy, Cruz is almost as bad so it could help Hillary into the White House, if we don’t burn it down for them again.”

“What? We burnt it down?”

“In their War of Independence, we burnt it down twice, by that I mean the Brits, that’s why it’s called the White House, they had to paint the walls to disguise the soot marks.”

“Gosh you are a fund of information, aren’t you, no wonder you’re a professor and I’m typing your letters.”

“I suspect you’re better at it than I am, my knowledge on a number of things is somewhat limited, especially computers and to some extent, word processing or tripewiping.”

She roared, “Tripe wiping?”

“Yeah my keyboard is dyslexic.”

“Is this a case of a bad workman blames his tools?”

“Her tools, please.”

“Yeah, her tools—well is it?”

“Look I’m a professor, you can’t expect me to know anything as well as carry this huge brain about.” I mimed walking about with a huge head.

“You walk like that all the time,” was her riposte.

“When does your contract expire?”

“Same time as yours.”

“So it does, oh well we’ll be unemployed together.”

“I hope not, I’ve just had a new kitchen—it’ll take me years to pay off.”

“Still it means you’ll look after it.”

“True—how new is your kitchen?”

“Hmm late seventeenth century I think, why?”

“Aren’t you going to get a new one some time?”

“Some time, some being the operative word, apart from the fact the kitchen was designed by Tom’s wife and if I mess it about too much...you know...”

“Oh she’s dead, is she?”

“Goodness years ago, she had MS and died soon after his daughter did.”

“So how come he adopted you?”

“We both had needs. My parents were dead and he had no family and now they’re coming out of his ears.”

“Coming out of his ears?” Diane looked askance at me.

“Yeah, little white hairs, haven’t you ever seen them?”

“No but I think I’ll pass on them if that’s okay with you.”

“I thought it was his white matter escaping at first.”

“Is that like dark matter only—whiter?”

I laughed and shook my head, “It’s part of the brain.”

“I thought that was grey matter.”

“Nah, that’s just part of it.”

“What’s white matter for then?”

“The grey stuff is on the outside, the white stuff is underneath it and acts like a sort of switchgear for the grey matter.”

“Oh,” she said obviously not understanding it one bit. Then looking at the clock she said, “Aren’t you supposed to go and collect the girls?”

“Look it up on the net, I’d better get ready and go.” I closed down my computer and shoved my memory sticks in the little plastic clip box I keep them in. As I left I could see her looking at white matter on wiki. “I’ll expect an essay on that by tomorrow morning.”

“Ha fat chance,” she yelled back.

I’d driven the VW because the kids have more room and they seem to prefer it to my Jaguar. They are a bit cramped in that and as the younger ones come up to school age, I think we’ll need a double-decker bus not a people carrier.

As I drove to collect them I was glad I’d asked Simon to extend the hire of it. He’d only driven it once and told me it felt like a campervan. He forgets that VW also own Bentley. Mind you, he told me about one Easter when he was still at Millfield he and friend borrowed an old VW camper and toured round Cornwall in it, said it was great fun until it broke down and they had to wait four hours for the RAC to come and tow it to a garage. Apparently, they slept in it on the forecourt of the garage that night. Glad it wasn’t me, mind you I was probably too timid to try anything like that though a friend and I did cycle to the Brecon Beacons and camp there for a couple of nights and then cycle back. I wonder what he’s doing now? Might see if I can find him on the internet—though what for, I don’t know. Nostalgia is wonderful but there’s no future in it.

I collected the gang and we set off home. Danielle reminded me that she had training that night so I said I’d take her. She usually travels in the front with me and when I told her I’d take her, she leant over and kissed me, “Thanks, Mummy, you’re a star.”

“Uh no, that’s your aunt.”

“What—Auntie Stella?”

“Yes, stellar means a star or to do with stars.”

“That’s got an R on it, Mummy,” complained the brain on the back seat.

“Not in Latin, it hasn’t.”

“So it’s stella in Latin, then?” she checked.

“Yes.”

“Funny, they must have copied it from us,” she said and Livvie nearly collapsed laughing.

“Wosso funny?” asked Trish.

“You are, dummy. The Romans were like two thousand years ago so we copied them.”

“Oh yeah,” I could feel the heat coming of Trish’s blush through the back of my seat, or it felt that way.

“Never mind, Trish, English has loads of words it could have taught the Romans.”

“Like what?” she sighed going rather quiet after Livvie trumped her.

“Like pyjamas.”

“Pyjamas—didn’t the Romans wear them?”

“If they did they didn’t call them that, pyjamas is an Indian word, so is bungalow.”

“So they like, wear pyjamas in their bungalows?” she asked rhetorically. Then they all burst out laughing, well on the back seat, they did.

Danielle looked at me and said, “They’re all bonkers.”

I just nodded my response.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
260 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I can accept polical rants

I can accept polical rants but If you are going to complain at least be factual about it. Washington was burned in 1814, the USA achieved Independence in 1783, 41 years before.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Yup

War of 1812, when the USA invaded Canada, and were trounced, and we burnt Washington, in a war the Americans claim to have won. Mind you, they did win famously at New Orleans, fought some time after the war was over.

Is that what Lonnie Donnegan ...

... was on about in the song that was popular in about 1955? I think I had a 78 rpm record of that when I were nobbut whippersnapper :) Though I did make my own record player so I wasn't that small.

Robi

A point which no one knew at the time......

D. Eden's picture

As CNN had yet to begin broadcasting.

You might also note that there were multiple times in which the much smaller and newer US Army did in fact win, not just New Orleans.

Additionally, let's not forget the multiple naval battles which the fledgling US Navy won before being bottled up in port by the much larger British Navy.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Satellite communication not

Satellite communication not being invented yet, Neither the British or Americans knew the war was over at the start of that battle. A decisive victory for the American Troops under Gen Jackson.

Karen

To be fair Prof Watts is

Sammi's picture

a Prof of Ecology not History, that being said she probably know exactly how many termites were killed in the fire, that was set by royal marines war of 1812 which has also been called 'The 2nd War of Independence'
I believe that the First Lady at the time said something like 'pull up a chair the food is getting cold' to the invading troops.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Facts?

I dunno much about facts but I can do sums. 1814 - 1783 = 31 LOLOL

Bev x

bev_1.jpg

Disobeying doctors orders… A Nag

persephone's picture

I TOLD you not to carry anything!!!
That bag look to be at least 8 ounces.
You have (sort of) minions for fetching and carrying.

Next thing we know you are going to be trying to get on a bike again!

:)

Persephone

Non sum qualis eram

Any adult beverages being

Any adult beverages being consumed, Bev? Looks like fun !

Hugs, Karen

No adult beverages Karen.

No darling, Nana Bev is tee-total and celibate nor does she smoke or take drugs. She just loves to dance, dance. dance and remember the enjoyment she had the night before.

Though I have to take Persephone's advice/orders. No heavy lifting yet and NO cycling for eight weeks at least.

The truth is it's less than eleven days after the operation in this piccie and the sutures are still there. A bike saddle would rip them out so NO bike except literary vehicles as prescribed by Professor Cameron.

bev_1.jpg

Actually

littlerocksilver's picture

It was in the second war when they burned down. The White House hadn't been constructed until long after the war of independence.

Portia

Okay, I'll let you off this time.

Angharad's picture

This was one we did earlier:
1814-burning_0_0_0.jpg

1280px-The_President's_House_by_George_Munger,_1814-1815_-_Crop.jpg

I mean this was a minor war during the greater Napoleonic Campaign.

Angharad

Thank you Napoleon

Yes, I believe that it was Napoleon that saved America, otherwise the English would have had time to give us a sound thrashing. Spain, or is it Mexico would have kept California, Oregon, Utah, and Nevada and so forth. The Russians would have kept Alaska, thus perhaps saving the Zarr.
Then America would not have been around to bully Central America and so on ...

Sadly we do not have a Queen, though I know that Hillary would like the job, but I think that Bernie is scaring their pants off just now

Actually.....

D. Eden's picture

It was the War of 1812 - a war which was fought due to British Men of War stopping American Merchantmen at sea and pressing the sailors, claiming that they were still British citizens. The saying, "Once an Englishman, always an Englishman," was often quoted when it was happening.

It should be pointed out that in the few actual naval battles which occurred during the war, the US Navy trounced the British Navy. Unfortunately, all the individual victories couldn't overcome the massive difference in size of the two forces, and the war was then entirely fought either in the United States or Canada.

Probably the truest answer is that the war was fought at the insistence of the economically powerful trading and shipping groups within the New England states as they insisted on the Federal Government defending their rights to free navigation of the seas. The act of seizing their ships and press ganging their sailors was cutting their profits - so economics rears its ugly head again.

The White House was not built until well after the War of Independence, or what we refer to as the Revolutionary War.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

You'll regret those comments

You'll regret those comments when President Trump and PM Cameron get their heads together.
The White House wasn't even built in 1797 When the scurrilous thugs working for an insane King George III got their asses kicked.
In 1814, after invading a free country, the White House was burned down. We then again kicked the collective asses of the British off our shores,
again. Like most Perfessers, a font of mis-information !

Karen

Yeah,

Angharad's picture

Cameron & Trump can publish the Megalomaniac's Guide To Tax Avoidance.

Angharad

Well done Ang.

Well done Angharad.

That's one way of getting lots of comments. Now tell them that Joseph Swan invented the light bulb, then retreat.

Great writing as always Angharad.

Love to All

Anne G.

He did.

Edison pirated someone else's work, got sued after sneaking a patent, and hence the Swan-Edison electric light co. Edison's greatest asset, of course, was his PR skills

Edison was a crook

Angharad's picture

the only thing he invented was the confidence trick.

Angharad