Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2901

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2901
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

I awoke the next morning remembering going and finding Daddy in a semiconscious state, possibly made worse by a surfeit of single malt but clearly displaying signs of a CVA or cerebro vascular accident, otherwise known as a stroke. I gave him healing and thankfully, he seemed none the worse for it. But I felt guilty, had my aggression caused it?

I showered and dressed roused the girls and went down. It was only just seven though I felt quite good despite just four hours sleep. Daddy was returning from walking the dog and he seemed to be in good spirits.

“Morning, Daddy,” I offered as he came into the kitchen.

“Aye, it’s guid one,” he said indicating the shiny ball thing in the sky which seemed to have been somewhat lacking of late.

“You seem as bright as the weather,” I said trying to feel him out without asking directly.

“Aye, silly headache I’ve haed fa days has cleared.”

Ah, so it wasn’t just me then. I almost breathed a sigh of relief but the fact that I might have provided the final factor that set off his stroke made me feel ashamed.

“I’m sorry I was so bitchy yesterday.”

“Aye, ye did rather shoot thae messenger.”

“I just felt upset by it all.”

“Aye, I ken, sae wid I hae been, but we hae tae dae this stupid process of advertising an’ interviewing even though I ken the noo, ye’re thae best candidate. It’s crazy but it’s thae law.”

“I know, I just let it get to me and I’m really sorry.”

“It’s alricht, it showed me ye wanted tae keep thae job.”

“A year ago I didn’t, but the longer I’ve done it the more I’ve got to enjoy it, directing the objectives of the department, encouraging the staff and students alike and hoping what I’m doing is what’s best for them and the environment.”

“Aye ye’re a bossy cuss, alricht.”

Astonished by this I glared at him but the twinkle in his eye showed me he was simply winding me up.

Then more seriously he looked at me and asked, “Jest whit did ye dae last nicht?”

“Woke you up from your drunken sleep.”

“I think ye did mair than that.”

“Can’t remember, it was three in the morning, Daddy, I was tired, I just don’t remember.”

“I wisnae deid then?”

“If you had been, I’d hardly be having this conversation now, would I? Except perhaps through a very good medium.”

“Sae ye didnae dae onything, then?”

“I can’t remember—oh I wiped you down where you’d dribbled.”

“I think ye did dae mair.”

“Look, Daddy, we’ve only just made up from yesterday’s squabble, can’t you at least wait a couple more days before initiating the next one?”

He shrugged and went to pour himself a cup of coffee. He’d obviously put the coffee machine on earlier. Sometimes Simon does it if he has time for one in the mornings by which time it looks like treacle but tastes like coffee flavoured treacle. They add boiling water and drink it—imagine coffee like Bovril and you wouldn’t be far off.

The girls started to appear and I shoved the first four slices of bread in the toaster. Sometimes I think we could do with a larger one like they have in some cafes or restaurants which can do six or eight slices. As they ate their cereal I buttered some toast and shoved another four slices in the toaster. More bodies arrived and I did a third lot of toast, and kept two slices which I ate with mashed banana—one of my staples—perhaps it absorbs the mercury from the tuna?

It was Friday and James would do his last school run. Ingrid had gone to ground and the police failed to locate her as they wanted to speak with her regarding the attack on my car. They’d not found the men either and although they claimed they’d worked quite hard, I wasn’t sure that they had because our various encounters had tended to leave them in a bad light. So I received a strong feeling that anyone who got one over on me deserved a pat on the back rather than arrest. I was just a rich bitch trouble maker. I’d also sued them twice and won quite substantial settlements which I’d given to charities. I therefore became a rich bitch troublemaker with a good team of lawyers. I suspect Gotham City police have a similar relationship with Batman.

I’d just eaten my toast and ’nana when James arrived. I noticed Julie and Phoebe went off a little later than before he started coming each day. I gave him some toast and he ladled on honey and peanut butter. I had to turn away or I’d have shared a still warm banana and toast mix. Tom offered him some of his ‘Bovril’ coffee and I went up to change into my cycling clothes.

“You have a lovely arse, Cathy,” observed my overpaid bodyguard, “especially in that outfit. Have you really ridden for Britain.”

“Don’t be daft,” answered Julie, “she hardly rides at all, hence her whopping backside.”

“Thank you, dear. I’ll remember that come your birthday or Christmas.”

“She’s only wearing it because you’re here,” Julie added as a stage whisper.

“You’re going to be late,” I warned Julie.

“Nah, we’re not starting ‘til nine an’ the apprentice can open up and get the kettle on.”

“Well I have to go, I’m teaching at nine and I want to glance through my notes.” I recalled my laptop was in my office along with my rucksack. I also had a change of clothing so I’d be okay.

After a multitude of hugs, even one from Julie and James, I pedalled off towards the university, my eyes watering despite having sunglasses on through the cool wind. Fifteen minutes later I was walking through the corridor to our department. My bike safely stowed, I undid my hair band and began combing it out. A bit of makeup and I went to find my skirt and top. They were nowhere to be seen.

Diane arrived as I was poking about in her office and the toilet. She thought I had taken my clothes home last night. I couldn’t think how, then realised I had taken my rucksack home and left my laptop bag. Oh well, they’ll have to put up with me clomping around in lycra and cycling shoes.

It’s interesting that the lecture I did on evolution and adaptation was attended by a few more men than I expected. I assumed they’d seen my wandering around in my team GB replica kit. I started the lecture by apologising for my attire and also stating that it was a replica kit which I’d received as a present and that I hadn’t actually ridden for Great Britain.

When Tom called by a little later he wasn’t too impressed with my outfit. “Didnae ye bring ony change of clathes?”

“Obviously not,” I said defensively.

“I think she looks good in that,” said Diane coming to my rescue or trying to.

“Aye, sae dae I, but not in a lecture theatre.”

“I wore my gown and mortar board with it,” I said which had Diane rushing off to the loo as she giggled.

“Ye scunner,” said Tom as he walked away. “I wis gang ta tak’ ye tae lunch, but no like that.”

“Take Diane instead, I’ll grab a roll from the refec, I’ve got some things to do anyway.” So that’s what he did.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
268 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sure glad things calmed down

littlerocksilver's picture

.. from yesterday. I imagine Tom knows exactly what happened. If I'd been dreaming this episode, I would probably turned up in just my skivvies. That seems to happen frequently. Of course, I'm never prepared for class.

Portia

Bike clothing

I usually look like a Nun or a Muslima except for when I go cycling. It was in the low 20s (c) yesterday and rode about in my leggings with skirt and hoodie top with head scarf and helmet. When it gets into the high 20s or even 30s, as it is wont to do in summer here, perhaps the leggings and hoodie will go along with the scarf. That would either make me a hypocrite or a Winter muslim.

Gwen

I suspect Tom

knows what happened too. So does Cathy. Good to see them make up. I am also happy to see Cathy calm down from the news, though if they give her heart ache about it she will heat right back up.

It isn't over with Ingrid. Cathy could afford a real body guard besides James, for a while it would be prudent. James could then concentrate on locating Ingrid and Co.

With Cathy biking to the

With Cathy biking to the University, I do hope we don't have a repeat of what happened to her that caused this wonderful story to occur. With all the baddies still running around on the loose, who is to say a quick jab by a car into Cathy is not on their "to do list" at this moment?

Once Commissioner Gordon retired, Batman had trouble

Whatever it takes to get butts in the lecture hall chairs. Wish my professors wore skin suits, no, on second
thought, Lord No! You had to see my lecturers, OMG!
Why not answer Tom's question. "Yes Daddy, you needed a little help."

Karen

Tom's not daft

Christina H's picture

He either knows or has a damn good idea what happened last night.

And I tend to agree with others cycling to work seems a bit risky at the moment especially as the roads
are filled with lunatic car and HGV drivers at the best of times (I class myself in this)

Christina

Cleats?

Rhona McCloud's picture

I finally, after 2901 episodes, googled 'cycling cleats' to see what Cathy clumped around the University wearing. Is Cathy suffering short term memory problems in leaving her clothes and laptop at home?

Rhona McCloud

I must confess,

after an early morning ride on a cold morning, I often stay in my Lycra until I have to change later in the afternoon. For work around the houses and shopping, just change to trainers and do whatever it is I have to do. Lycra is soo-oo comfortable and easy to work in during physical work. Furthermore, I work for myself so I wear what I like.
Still lovin' it Ang. xx

bev_1.jpg