Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2968

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2968
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
007b_0_0.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

“I’ll see ye later,” said Tom as he left for his office.

He actually chairs the academic council which has a meeting from ten, so I’ve time to get the girls to school and do some work before I fritter the rest of the morning listening to the same old grumbles from the same old grumblers. Usually it’s about funding or trying to preserve staffing levels or both, the one does tend to involve the other. I’ve been fortunate in that we have no shortage of students as do things like media studies, business studies as well as health and social care. We train social workers and nurses as well as a few other professions. However, engineering, chemistry and IT are suffering from lack of students and research sponsors, mind you we’re suffering the latter mainly through the mess that constitutes the EU referendum.

We finished breakfast and I loaded the girls in the VW and off to school we went, then after fighting my way through the Pompey traffic I eventually arrived at the University to find someone had parked in my space. I hoped it wasn’t an omen for the day. As the spaces are allocated, if I use another one, I end up putting someone else out of a space. I checked the car. It wasn’t displaying any sort of permit, so I parked next to it and went to the office to complain.

I noted the number on the Lexus spoke to the girl in reception, she had no idea who the car belonged to and would ask the porter who keeps an eye on the car park to check it out and inform the driver it was illegally parked in someone else’s space. She’d also tell him I was parked alongside it on the driveway but not causing any obstruction, especially as I was in the VW and not my Jaguar, which was better known.

I was therefore, not in the best mood to start the day; which Diane immediately picked up on. “Who took your lollipop?” she asked as she brought in my cuppa.

“It was my parking space, not a lollipop which was misappropriated.”

“What? Somebody parked in your space—the one that says, ‘Prof Bio Sci’?”

“The same.”

“Recognise the car?”

“No, it was a large black, Lexus 4x4, 2016 model.”

“Goodness, someone richer than you...”

“Ha bloody ha, I didn’t think Croesus drove a Lexus—expensive bloody Toyota.”

“Is it? Oh well, you’re morally superior with your Tata-mobile then.”

“I’ve got the personnel carrier today.”

“What one of those army things?”

“No sadly, if it had been one of those I’d have parked it on top of the Lexus.”

“Remind me not to pinch your parking spot.”

“Perhaps I should get one, a Warrior, but I’ll wait until they upgrade the gun from a thirty to forty millimetre cannon.”

“How d’you know about them, dormice use them do they?”

“Yeah, when they’re not up in the trees.”

“I was going to say, they’re probably a bit heavy for tree climbing.”

“Just a tad.”

“So how does a professor of biology know about Warrior wotsits?”

“I can’t quite remember which of the girls was researching something on the Gulf War and we came across all the data on Challenger tanks and Warrior APCs or IFV I think they call them. Infantry fighting vehicles,” I added to answer Diane’s bemused look.

“Yeah, well I know IVF means something different,” she retorted.

“Just a bit, but for all we know some of the infantry originated that way.”

“You have a meeting in twenty minutes,” she said looking at the clock on the wall above me.

“Yes, I plan on doing some excrement agitation there.”

“What?” I thought her eyes were going to pop. “Doesn’t that require a fan?”

“I have plenty of those,” I smirked, “but for real shit stirring you need a paddle.”

“Won’t you be risking being spanked by your dad in front of lots of crusty old academics.”

I nearly choked with laughter, “I’m probably more dangerous than he is.”

“With or without a Warrior—was it?”

“Absolutely.”

The phone rang and Diane answered it. “They know who pinched your space, someone visiting the Vice Chancellor—they’re coming to your meeting apparently.”

“Give me an hour before you send any body-bags over.”

“That sounds like fightin’ talk, missus.”

“It was meant to. Where’s the meeting?”

“Uh, board room, that’s board with an a.”

“I won’t be bored today.”

I collected my files and then wandered over to the boardroom having checked my hair and makeup en route. My DK suit should suffice to impress those who recognised good taste.

Tom strolled in with an MP who was a leading member of the Brexit team. I could feel my blood pressure and bile rising.

“Before we start the meeting Mr Quentin Oswald has offered to answer any questions you might have about the effects of the UK leaving the EU.”

As far as I was aware, Tom was like me, a Remain supporter, so what was he doing?”

For the next half an hour, our unwanted guest tried to answer questions which the enquirers knew he couldn’t and within a few minutes he was floundering like a flat fish on the deck of a trawler. He tried the usual stuff of spending £350 million pounds per week and he was shot down on that, because it’s a lie as were most of his answers. I enjoyed watching him squirm but waited until the last question to add my scorn to my colleagues.

“Professor Watts?” said Tom remaining formal in front of strangers.

“Yes, thank you, Vice Chancellor. If the polls are correct and Brexit wins the referendum might I name him on the law suit I shall instigate if my investments or savings lose value in the event of the United Kingdom withdrawal from the EU?”

“No, we shall claim Parliamentary privilege.”

“I suspect my lawyers will get round that seeing as you’re not actually in Parliament at the moment and I’m referring to your campaign not any subsequent legislation. I shall probably be suing all of your colleagues in the Out campaign.”

He looked worried for a moment, then smirked, “I didn’t think a professor’s salary would afford the sort of counsel you’d need to mount such a law suit.” The look on my fellow academics was that of smugness, he didn’t know who I was. I also knew his car had been clamped and was anticipating his discovery with delight.

Tom leant over and whispered in his ear, probably informing him what my married name was. He still didn’t get it until he told him point blank who my father in law was. The smirk turned to a rather pained look.

He left soon afterwards and probably spent the next hour or two getting his car back, Diane had sent me a silent text saying that his car had been clamped and the porter who dealt with such things had taken some stuff to one of the outlier departments and wouldn’t be back for an hour or so. I shared this with the meeting and the crusty old academics roared with laughter. Despite my intentions to upset them all, I decided solidarity was the order of the day and slept through most of the rest of the meeting, except the part where we agreed to tell students how much the uncertainty over the EU membership was potentially going to affect their studies. If we exit, it could take years to deal with the mess—all for what? So lame brain Boris can unseat our namesake as PM—what a pair of tossers.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
253 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You're entitled to your

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I sure hope the Brits vote in favour of Brexit. Yes, I realise it goes -apparently- against your grain, but I think the EU, as it now stands, is a very bad thing. I am convinced that the EU is a monster of an administrative nightmare with far too many regulations and legislation that more resembles spaghetti bolognaise than clean, transparent and comprehensive rules to enhance and better the society as a whole, and work in favour of all citizens.
Not just those who can afford representation and professional commitment to look for the loopholes. Or who work to circumvent, bend, or -even worse- shape new rules, and legislation, to favour large(r) conglomerates and/or commercial parties. ( commonly known as lobbyists, who have far too much influence in Brussel ).

I am in favour of a United Europe, as I am convinced that in the long run all human societies should, and/or will, profit from sensible organisation and collaboration, and that it's the 'natural' way to grow, or evolve if you will. As is shown in the slow evolution of small communities, into collaborating regions, into provinces, nations, kingdoms, united kingdoms ( *smile* ) and so on and so on.

Only not like now.

I think the present EU is not the way to go. To grow. 'Brussel' has become too much of a rampant cluttered cancer with a self-serving and -absorbed agenda, while 'we' in the EU have little to no means of reigning them in. The once in a five years election for EU parliament is a laugh, because they have no power to do anything worthwhile. The EU parliament is not even allowed to propose new laws or legislation.

The Council of Europe, and the European Commission, the two main bodies of government in the EU can not be held accountable by this EU parliament. Only the Commission may propose new law, and European parliament then may advice, or act as co-legislator to the Council of Europe, with the proviso that the Council of Europe may overrule and/or disavow the EU parliament. Which makes it essentially powerless.

National elections, and referenda, are increasingly marginalized, and the true governing of the 'Union' has been elevated away from the unwashed masses. The European Commision is the true power in the EU, and we, voters in the seperate member states, have little to no influence on their ways and convictions for what would be good for us.

Contrary to what we'd have for our own national government where we can question, and hold accountable, our chosen government. Which we, sovereign state residents, still hold as valuable.

That's the main reason why I would welcome a Nexit. I am a resident of the Netherlands, and I would enthusiastically welcome, and embrace a referendum, about an exit for the Netherlands. ( I believe that we are already known a bit as critics on EU, as we voted NO on EU constitution in 2005, and NO for Ukrainian to get in with the EU a few months back? Which results our chosen 'representatives' have subsequently ignored, at both times.)

In a way I am a bit jealous of you British, for you seem to have a chance for change. A chance to get free of the present Brussel's yoke. And, yes, maybe it would mean suffering a decline in economic benefits, maybe! But freedom comes with a price.

And imho the popular predictions the media, and in particular the 'stay in' advocates, are still only predictions that hold no more sway than a fortune teller's beliefs you'll meet the swanky prince on the white stallion. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, is the saying I believe.

Regards,
Jo-Anne

Vote Leave and get Boris as PM

That is something I really do not want to happen. He is as mad as DT and that is saying something.
/S

Slogans and Empty Promises

The Leave campaign is an empty appeal to nationalist sentiment. Its promises are pure nonsense (or, if you prefer, utter drivel). There is no rational methodology for delivering on those promises. While it would hurt Europe, it would hurt Britain much more, which would be cut out of open, untariffed international commerce with its former partners. It would screw up the British economy at all levels, and every home, starting in the kitchen. Britain doesn't grow enough food to supply its population. It's much more of an industrial country than an agricultural one. Today, it depends on trade with the Continent to stock the shelves of their supermarkets. After Brexit, then what?

The most it would achieve is to allow them to legally keep out immigrants, but as the economy would dry up for other reasons, the immigrants wouldn't be coming anyway.

European Superpacs.

Like you Jo-Anne, I am fearful of the destruction of democracy in the European Union. After watching the fiasco concerning the American Primaries and the degree of corruption surrounding the various state procedures I look at Europe and wonder if this continent is going the same way. Already Brussels is in thrall to large corporations and lobby groups to the detriment of anything remotely resembling a truly accountable democratic process while Euro-M.P's., are taking bribes described as 'fees' from those lobbyists; I don't see democracy or representative accountability surviving much longer within the unaccountable wasteland that is the E.U.
I'm not interested in who pays for what or how much it costs but I do want to see genuine accountability and effective democratic forces at work in Brussels. Presently the connection between people and government seems to be getting more and more remote and disconnected with every passing European parliamentary session. That is bad, bad, bad.

bev_1.jpg

Ah, the arrogance of the

Ah, the arrogance of the elected, they forget they work for us the electorate, not the other way around. Are the UK pols as full of methane gas as the ones here in the USA?

Karen

Two Issues

Might I suggest that Cathy get a Pinzgauer 6 wheel?

I was hoping that someone would inform me about the Out/Stay ruction.

Jolly good then.

Gwen

I don't claim to have any clues

as to what is best for the UK. I only know I wish them well.

Here in the states I am sweating blood over the current crop of haters. Their numbers seem to be growing almost exponentially. Truth, I have never enjoyed politics. I find I spend more time voting against certain people than voting for others. Now and again I am pleasantly surprised.

I suspect Cathy is in a similar position in many ways. If we could get the more extremist types to just leave us alone life would be more pleasant, but it rarely seems to be within them to do so.

Tending towards ?????

Christina H's picture

This Brexit campaign has been run along the same lines as the Scottish Referendum - that is scare tactics, bullying, lies, downright lies and statistics on one side.
On the other it's also scare tactics fuzzy headed utopia, sovereignty and immigration issues so the wealthy have cheap labour.
Now mealy mouth Osborn our so called chancellor is behaving life the spoilt brat he is and threatening a budget that will hit all the things in life that the great unwashed (unless they want your vote) hold dear - cut's to the NHS, Education and Defence while raising money income tax, fuel prices and booze.
The EU is broken, corrupt and wasteful but the original idea was good it has been hijacked by the faceless bureaucrats it needs reform but this will never happen without a wake up call - and if the UK leaving is this call so be it but personally I think that a very close result to remain in could galvanise some change.

As to how I will vote - well that's down to me I work internationally so the EU is simply there. Anyhow all this is a none starter because according to Mr. Smarmy Cameron world war III will break out as soon as a leave result is declared (as well as plagues of locust, fire, flood, famine and pestilence as well as judgement day when the dead will rise up) - Have I forgotten any other woe's that could befall the British populace?

Christina

I think we should stay as the

I think we should stay as the UK is the one to kick some arse and get these clots to wake and smell the coffee. The EU IF IT DONT CHANGE WILL FALL APART.The hate that will come from this will wreck what should be a great thing why the polticos do not care or respect the people they the people will turn to the right wing who promise to take the people on board the Remain have treated people with project fear and like chumps.If people vote leave the polticos will be to blame.

Referendum Blues

The in/out referendum on the UK's membership of the European Union is the most important ballot of my life and yet we are treated to the unedifying spectacle of our senior politicians bickering like school children crying "My bogey man is more scary than your bogey man."

Anyhow, to paraphrase a conversation from a few days ago ...

Some politicians say : "It's a complete no-brainer. It is eminently obvious that we should remain a member of the EU."

Some politicians say : "It's a complete no-brainer. It is blatantly obvious that it is in our best interests to leave the EU."

And some politicians have no brain.

Oldfashioned.

Unless i am mistaken

the law on clamping on private property changed recently and clamping was made illegal except in certain situations, Cathys porter and the uni want to hope that Mr Quentin Oswald is as bad with the law as he seems to be with everything else , It would be a shame if he was able to claim even a small victory , Objectionable men like that do not need their ego boosting any higher than it already is ...

Kirri

EU

Help me out here, The EU was formed to give Europe the same benefit as the 50states in the US. It seems to me the plan was doomed from the start. The US has 50 states managed by a Federal central government who makes trade laws, banking laws, and runs an armed force. the EU has independent governments whose economy may fail requiring bail from healthy economys ( GB, Germany). Now if GB pulls out, wouldn't Germany be right behind ?

Karen

They won't

Because Germany is basically the biggest beneficiary of the EU

In/Out of Europe

If we reduce the whole to ultimate simplicity, the whole GB in Europe question lies as "maintain the status quo" (in) or accept a long delay (out) until any enabling legislation can be enacted to provide equivalent internal alternatives to replace the lost benefits which we so happily ignore, or of which we would even remain unaware until they went!
Angharad has given one more example (admittedly in fiction) where the doubt on outcome may already be having an impact. Makes you think!

It's funny, as a child I

It's funny, as a child I never felt the United Kingdom was European, I felt they were the UK, maybe because of the closer connections to Canada,The Maritime Provinces, and Australia in those days

Karen