Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2940

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2940
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

“So will you teach me to sew?” asked Debbie.

“They do run evening classes on sewing and dressmaking.”

“I’d rather learn from an expert.”

“I’m not an expert, Debbie, I only know what my mum showed me and what I’ve since gleaned as I’ve gone along. I don’t do fancy sewing, making fiddly cushion covers or patchwork quilts because I don’t have time, I have a busy life with a demanding job and even more demanding family.”

“Is that a no?” she looked crestfallen and I felt such a meanie.

“I’ll teach you some of the basics, beyond that, you’ll have to either read the book or find a class. That’s my best offer.”

“Done,” she said offering her hand which I foolishly shook. Now I was committed to even less free time, though I suppose I could encourage some of my girls to tag along. Peculiarly, Danni and Trish seem better at sewing than Mima or Livvie. I don’t know why unless like Debbie and possibly even I, are trying to legitimise our female status by doing girly things—except some of the best needleworkers in the world are men.

“Friday evening, come for dinner and we’ll hold our sewing bee afterwards. I’ll ask David to do something fairly light so we all stay awake and fewer fingers will get pricked or mistakes made with cutting out or measuring.”

“Sounds good to me. Now, if I was to invest in a sewing machine, which is the best?”

I hate that sort of question, it’s at best offering opinion, like which is the best car? How do I know, I’ve only driven about a dozen types out of hundreds. Still it had been asked and I had to answer it. “I don’t know, there are so many to buy these days which do all sorts of things, most of which you’ll probably never need. If I embroider I do it by hand, which isn’t often. I certainly don’t want a machine to do it for me.”

“Cor, can you really get machines which do that?”

“Yes, but what they cost and how good they are, is anyone’s guess.”

“What have you got, then?”

“My mother had an old Singer and I got a Brother a few years ago.”

“Which is best?”

“The better,” I said correcting her grammar, “is dependent upon what you want to do with it. The Singer is simpler and thus has less to go wrong and it was serviced a year or two ago, the Brother has a larger variety of stitches but is more of a fiddle to set up.”

“Would you help me choose one?”

“What for—I mean, what are you going to be using it for?”

“Curtains.”

I had a horrible feeling she was going to say that and while they’re not the most difficult of projects, they can be awkward simply on account of size and type of material and rufflette tape can be a bitch to add.

“Why don’t you see what’s available commercially and I’ll help you shorten them if necessary, that way you get to see some results more quickly?”

“Really? I was hoping to do it from scratch but I suppose you’re right and I’ll be able to say I altered them, won’t I?”

“Exactly, and hung them as well.”

“So if my mum comes to visit...”

“She can see how you’re developing as a nest builder.”

“Mmmm, I like that idea, prove to her that I can do it as well as she can.”

“That might be a fruitless contest. Instead of trying to out-woman her, why not just try to be the best you, you can be?”

“You sound like my therapist.”

“Sorry.”

“No, you’re probably right; it’s just that everything I’ve done since beginning my transition has failed to meet her approval. It would be nice to receive it once in my life.”

“How did you fare when you were still living as her son?”

“Not as well as my older brother. He was always perfect to both my parents whereas I was a girly boy who was rubbish at everything, especially sports or chasing girls. My dad thought I was gay. I’m not, I was a female—in my head anyway—so having sex with a girl was like—I dunno—homosexual; yet if I’d told them I had a crush on a boy, they’d have been very upset. So I just tried not to think about it. Now I’ve got the equipment, I’m not sure I can be bothered especially as I never really learnt how to deal with boys as a woman and sometimes I’m frightened both by my inadequacies and them finding out about my past and either being horrible or being aggressive and horrible.”

“I can understand all that.”

“How can you? You’ve had your whole life to train for who you are now. I’ve had to learn very quickly and missed out on much of it.”

Oh boy, this getting very awkward very quickly. What if she discovers my history or one of the girls blabs when she’s there for sewing? How is she going to feel? Should I tell her before then or am I entitled to keep my status as I do now, it’s not as if we’re having a relationship and I don’t have to justify anything to anyone. I shall murder Esmond bloody Herbert when I next see him, why couldn’t he have sent her to London or one of the larger universities? Why me? Because I’ve been there, done that and got the bloody tee shirt.

Why do I seem to attract these people and why the hell do I then allow them to manipulate me into helping them? Am I just weak? Do I need to get approval or just have a compulsion to rescue them?

She went off to do tutorials and I called Diane into my office but to bring tea with her. “That serious, is it?”

“Could be—I’m thinking of running away to a monastery.”

“Don’t you mean nunnery?”

“If I were lesbian possibly but I think a monastery might be more fun.”

“Wouldn’t it be incest if you were doing it with your brothers?” she threw in as she went off to make the teas.

She’ll have to go.

“So what’s the problem, oh wise professor?”

“You mean apart from an insubordinate subordinate?”

“You mean me?” she asked disingenuously.

“I do.”

“Huh, just because I’ve been a secretary to a professor longer than you’ve been a professor, you’re paranoid.”

“No, I was paranoid long before I had a lab stool let alone an academic chair.”

She choked on her tea—served her right.

Once the banter subsided I got down to the meat of the problem, me. “I feel awful with Debbie thinking I’m a natural female when I’ve been through so many of the problems she’s encountered. At the same time, I’ve moved on from all that; I’m a married woman with loads of children and I don’t want to be a role model for any transgender women who want to work in a university. What d’you think?”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
252 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh Cathy, I think you need to

Oh Cathy, I think you need to make an exception in this case. Debbie is a delightful person.
After all, you're teaching her how to sew, why not how to be a T-woman ? Then the Cameron brood can do what they wish. Debbie is already going to Julie's salon, how long before the topic comes up between those two ?

Karen

That paying it forward thing has to stop sometime

Which is exactly what Cathy has to do and there is no right or wrong time.

Anyway, Debbie needs to be corrected in that being attracted to boys does not necessarily mean it is a clue that you are a girl, of course. She just happens to be a heterosexual female.

Now, lesbian transwomen have a harder road to hoe since we do not change our sexual orientation and for that we get it from all sides and are not considered as 'legitimate' or 'not a woman.'

There are those who think a story that a het boy becomes a het female is so much more harder but I must agree to disagree on that one as once the het female thing is settled, socially there is so fewer issues whereas being lez, well, a whole new set of issues have just arrived. There is no free lunch!

Seems like it is time for

Seems like it is time for Cathy to have a sit down and heart to heart talk with Debbie, before she discovers by accident Cathy's background and then feels like she has been "played and toyed with" by Cathy. That could lead to very serious consequences such as Debbie truly believing she is worthless and then tries to do serious harm to herself in some manner.

What do I think?

Cathy has to come clean. She has no option because her staus is widely known and Debbie will find out eventually. It's far better she finds out from the mare's mouth as it were :)

40 odd years ago when my wife was looking for a sewing machine we had a look at a few in a well established specialist shop. As soon as I asked to have look inside the one we were looking at, the assistant took it away and plonked a Bernina on the counter. He said if I was interested in quality engineering then it was the only one worth considering. Apparently they were used in the local schools and even used professionally and the only problems they got were when they were ill treated by not being cleaned or, in the case of school kids, jammed and stalled. It's been going strong ever since.

Robi

Quite simply

Cathy you must tell her , Seems to me that you have little to lose by admitting your past , However if you choose to withhold your previous life it could inadvertently cause more problems than it would solve , Okay maybe Debbie might end up getting a little closer to you , But is that really a bad thing considering her mothers attitude ?

Kirri

You Must Tell Her

Christina H's picture

Cathy I feel like the rest that you must tell Debbie, she seems like a nice person so imagine how she would feel when (not if) she learns Cathy's secret a betrayal of what she sees as friendship could tip her over the edge.
While writing this I feel like a bit (read lot) of a hypocrite as I never would tell anyone as like Cathy this is a personal thing. But in this case I would probably make an exception to my rule. Unlike Cathy's transition being in the public domaine mine isn't.

Christina

But -

she IS a role model for such as Debbie.
Even though going or travelling as stealthily as possible, Cathy cannot avoid the factual truth. The truth is still THERE despite all her endeavours to prevent it being OUT THERE! - and, working so closely with Debbie both professionally and now domestically; said truth is virtually certain to meet with exposure sooner rather than later.
Bite the bullet Professor Cameron, even though it's possibly got a full metal jacket!

Still lovin' it.

x

bev_1.jpg